PDA

View Full Version : Garry Hincks

ledge
05-07-2014, 08:24 PM
I think we have all met or seen Garry at games over the years, for anyone who doesn't know he is the guy who has been to all games since the 70s he lives in Portland and is a great bloke to chat to, just wondering if he is a life member and could he possibly be made one?
I think the club should embrace this guy in some way and use him for membership adds etc
The club must know of him and I hope really appreciate his dedication.
Does anyone have any information if the club looks after this guy in some way, he certainly deserves it.

jeemak
06-07-2014, 01:30 AM
ledge, to be honest I don't know who he is.

Why are you posting this? Not a crack, but by your post it seems he may be in some form of distress or trouble?

ledge
06-07-2014, 01:46 AM
He wears like a white chefs hat sits in his own mainly on level three.
He has had a few articles written about him, it's over 900 games he has seen in a row now, he would be in his late 60s I would think now

jeemak
06-07-2014, 01:49 AM
Fair enough.

After a quick google search I know who you're talking about.

Why do you feel he needs recognition?

ledge
06-07-2014, 05:40 AM
Well I think that's the ultimate supporter.
Don't you think that's one hell of a run?

Hotdog60
06-07-2014, 09:38 AM
I think Ledge is on the right path, the club needs to grasp these type of supporters and not only show them some gratitude for being so loyal but also it becomes a great PR story that could result in members that don't go because we are unlikely to win making the effort.

He would have witness a lot of bad times over the years yet he still kept going.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Great call Ledge. Garry Hincks's commitment to attending Western Bulldog games is larger than life. Travelling from Portland to Etihad to see one game is a significant journey, but to do it from Portland to Darwin, Perth and everywhere between without missing a game for decades, to witness mainly losses, is a greater commitment than marriage. It would be a tragedy if it was not rewarded with life membership and used to sell memberships.

ledge
06-07-2014, 01:45 PM
I want yo know how people do it while having a job.thats a feat in itself and for so long without success, this bloke should be the mascot !

jeemak
06-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Fair enough.

His support and dedication is outstanding.

craigsahibee
06-07-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm pretty sure the club flew Garry to London for our exhibition game against Port a couple of years ago. I haven't met him but Garry doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke that would enjoy the spotlight.

SonofScray
06-07-2014, 10:43 PM
Saw Garry in the Standing Room section today down at Geelong. One the great Club characters.

Eastdog
06-07-2014, 11:50 PM
I haven't met him but I've heard of Garry and yes he is a great Bulldog supporter. Now that's dedication to travel all the way from Portland to see us play.

craigsahibee
07-07-2014, 01:44 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/after-888-games-libba-and-garys-beautiful-friendship-20130531-2nhdd.html

HOSE B ROMERO
11-07-2014, 06:29 PM
I remember reading about Garry many years ago. I've got a feeling that he actually lived outside of Portland and had to get a lift there. I think he said at the time that to get to a game at Waverley he would get up at 4am. God knows what time he would have got home. Now i don't know about you but the thought of going to Waverley mid winter never, ever filled me with joy. And the drive home after a thrashing was soul destroying. :(

bornadog
09-04-2016, 01:15 PM
Hincks is Bulldog through and through (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-04-09/hincks-is-bulldog-through-and-through)
We love milestone games in football.

Jason Johannisen will play his fiftieth game in the red, white and blue this weekend and skipper Bob Murphy will at some point this season clock the magical 300-game mark.

But there’s a different kind of milestone being reached at Etihad Stadium this weekend, and it’ll be celebrated in the stands by a small band of Bulldogs supporters and one special man.

Garry Hincks attended his first Bulldogs game back in 1974 when he was 30-years-old.

Since then Garry has not missed a single Bulldogs game.

That makes 950 straight games in total – including interstate games.

Gary’s 72-years-old now and lives in Portland which makes his record even more remarkable.

Jason Johannisen wouldn’t be born for another 18 years when Gary first took his seat at a Bulldogs game, and even the birth of our current skipper was still 8 years away.

But Gary will be there this weekend, cheering them both on in his familiar chef’s hat against the Hawks, and he’ll be back to do it all over again next week.

Wherever you take in this weekend’s Bulldogs game, spare a thought for Gary, people like him are what football is all about.

Twodogs
09-04-2016, 01:44 PM
I'm betting that Gary didn't sit at his first game of football in 1974. Nobody did back then

Fair effort to Gary though. 950 games in a row is a big acheivment. Props to him.

ledge
09-04-2016, 01:48 PM
Club legend outside the club is that's possible.

Bulldog4life
09-04-2016, 01:59 PM
Has he got a life membership? He should.

Remi Moses
09-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Amazing effort

Eastdog
09-04-2016, 09:38 PM
Top effort. 950 games in a row - now that is what I call dedication.

AndrewP6
10-04-2016, 01:04 AM
Club needs to make a big deal of this fella. What a fantastic story of a great clubman.

S Coast Simon
10-04-2016, 02:18 AM
What an absolute legend. 950 games in a row is a amazing achievement. I would love to hear the club has done things for him like membership for life or something. We need more dedicated supporters like him.

Ozza
11-04-2016, 04:01 PM
No excuses from Garry about the 4:40 games!!

Twodogs
11-04-2016, 04:14 PM
No excuses from Garry about the 4:40 games!!

Or season ending injuries or drug bans.

We should really throw a party for Gary's game 1k.

KT31
12-04-2016, 03:10 PM
Or season ending injuries or drug bans.

We should really throw a party for Gary's game 1k.

Please don't start a thread, Gary will do a knee.

Twodogs
12-04-2016, 09:16 PM
Please don't start a thread, Gary will do a knee.

He may well do but I doubt that it would get in the way of the footy. He's got another knee after all.

Axe Man
30-03-2017, 11:43 AM
Great recognition for Gary to be part of the flag unfurling.

Bulldog Icons - Gary Hincks (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-03-30/bulldog-icons-gary-hincks)

https://s4.postimg.org/xr0mus9sd/GARY_HINCKS_Hero.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/oj8ee32q1/)

Gary Hincks has been coming to watch the Western Bulldogs since he first saw them play as a 30-year-old in 1974. That fact alone is impressive enough and stamps Hincks as a died-in-the-wool Doggies fan.

But what elevates Hincks to 'legend' status in the realm of football fandom is the fact that he has not missed a single game since - not one, single Western Bulldogs match.

To clarify, that's not just Bulldogs home games that Hincks hasn't missed, it's away games, too. And to expand even further, it's not just the Dogs' away games in Melbourne, it's every Western Bulldogs match, in every Australian state and territory.

That's nearly 1,000 games, and Gary Hincks has been there in person for each and every one of them. It is an utterly remarkable achievement, made all the more so by the fact that Hincks lives in Portland in western Victoria, a four-hour drive from Melbourne.

And it gets more remarkable still, for Hincks chooses not to make that four-hour drive each week. Rather, he takes public transport, which turns his trip each way into a six-hour journey.

"I don't like driving", he says, simply.

While the game of football would not be possible without the players themselves, Gary Hincks is conclusive evidence of the fact that football clubs are not possible without the existence of members and fans who display his level of commitment, year in year out, regardless of the prevailing fortunes of the team.

Hincks, always to be found in his distinctive chef's hat, met Tony Liberatore by chance in 2013 when both were on their way to see the Bulldogs take on Gold Coast at Carrara. The Bulldogs lost that match in a seemingly disheartening fashion but at the end of it, Hincks turned to 'Libba' and said the Bulldogs were evolving and would win a flag within three years.

Gary Hincks was right. The Western Bulldogs saluted last year, their 2016 premiership win due as much to the support of loyal fans like him as to the efforts of the players on the MCG last October.

People like Gary Hincks who offer the club their undying, unconditional support deserve special recognition, and they will receive just that this Friday night when Hincks joins other Bulldogs greats to be part of the premiership flag unfurling ceremony.

Bulldog4life
30-03-2017, 11:54 AM
What a marvelous effort by Gary. Unbelievable really. Glad that the Club is recognizing his unwavering support.

bulldogtragic
30-03-2017, 11:57 AM
What a marvelous effort by Gary. Unbelievable really. Glad that the Club is recognizing his unwavering support.

Truly, The People's Football Club.

Twodogs
30-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Truly, The People's Football Club.

I had to read it four times before I finally noticed the bit at the end that said he would be part of the lineup. Couldn't have happened to a more dedicated supporter, good luck to Gary. I hope the Club go the whole hog and find out who his two favourite players are and place Gary between them. He deserves it.

Eastdog
30-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Great recognition for Gary to be part of the flag unfurling.

Bulldog Icons - Gary Hincks (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-03-30/bulldog-icons-gary-hincks)

https://s4.postimg.org/xr0mus9sd/GARY_HINCKS_Hero.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/oj8ee32q1/)

Gary Hincks has been coming to watch the Western Bulldogs since he first saw them play as a 30-year-old in 1974. That fact alone is impressive enough and stamps Hincks as a died-in-the-wool Doggies fan.

But what elevates Hincks to 'legend' status in the realm of football fandom is the fact that he has not missed a single game since - not one, single Western Bulldogs match.

To clarify, that's not just Bulldogs home games that Hincks hasn't missed, it's away games, too. And to expand even further, it's not just the Dogs' away games in Melbourne, it's every Western Bulldogs match, in every Australian state and territory.

That's nearly 1,000 games, and Gary Hincks has been there in person for each and every one of them. It is an utterly remarkable achievement, made all the more so by the fact that Hincks lives in Portland in western Victoria, a four-hour drive from Melbourne.

And it gets more remarkable still, for Hincks chooses not to make that four-hour drive each week. Rather, he takes public transport, which turns his trip each way into a six-hour journey.

"I don't like driving", he says, simply.

While the game of football would not be possible without the players themselves, Gary Hincks is conclusive evidence of the fact that football clubs are not possible without the existence of members and fans who display his level of commitment, year in year out, regardless of the prevailing fortunes of the team.

Hincks, always to be found in his distinctive chef's hat, met Tony Liberatore by chance in 2013 when both were on their way to see the Bulldogs take on Gold Coast at Carrara. The Bulldogs lost that match in a seemingly disheartening fashion but at the end of it, Hincks turned to 'Libba' and said the Bulldogs were evolving and would win a flag within three years.

Gary Hincks was right. The Western Bulldogs saluted last year, their 2016 premiership win due as much to the support of loyal fans like him as to the efforts of the players on the MCG last October.

People like Gary Hincks who offer the club their undying, unconditional support deserve special recognition, and they will receive just that this Friday night when Hincks joins other Bulldogs greats to be part of the premiership flag unfurling ceremony.

One of our best supporters ever!

Bullies
30-03-2017, 08:43 PM
I emailed the CEO Gary Kent last year about seeing if the club could look after Gary with Membership/Seats/Life Membership. Gary's PA said he would get back to me but I never received a response. I sat with Gary at the Geelong game last year and he was telling me how he uses all his pension for travel/tickets etc. I was hoping the club would start helping him out. I asked him if the club looked after him but he said no which is why I emailed the club. He was close to missing a game last year as he had a fall at the Cairns game and had to be hospitalised but he pulled through and made the game the next week.

Remi Moses
30-03-2017, 08:52 PM
What a legend .

merantau
30-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Absolute supporter. Solid, staunch, a special person. Great to see him recognized as a Club icon.

Eastdog
01-04-2017, 03:32 AM
There was a huge standing ovation from the crowd for Garry when his name was announced during the start of the flag unfurling ceremony.

SonofScray
04-04-2017, 08:39 PM
There was a huge standing ovation from the crowd for Garry when his name was announced during the start of the flag unfurling ceremony.

A great moment within a great moment. What a feeling that must have been for him.

bornadog
12-04-2018, 05:44 PM
Hincks’ remarkable milestone (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-04-12/hincks-remarkable-milestone)

We love milestones in football, and this weekend the Club will celebrate a milestone of a different kind, and a remarkable one at that.

Garry Hincks attended his first Bulldogs game back in 1974 when he was 30-years-old and this weekend will mark his 1000th consecutive game as a spectator.

To make this achievement even more spectacular is that Gary lives in Portland, a four hour drive from Melbourne.

If you see Gary this weekend, cheering the Dogs on in his familiar chef’s hat, say hello and congratulate him on his extraordinary display of loyalty to our Club.

The bulldog tragician
12-04-2018, 08:07 PM
After we beat the eagles in the 2016 EF, we chatted to Garry as he walked into the G. He’d stayed in Perth and flown back that morning for the Hawks match. We got a photo with him like he was a celebrity - which he is!!! Such dedication, well done

josie
12-04-2018, 08:09 PM
Lovely bloke. Have sat next to him at Etihad last year and by chance met him in Canberra round 1 this year so we took bus ride together to Manuka Oval. Humble guy who just epitomises salt of the earth doggie supporter base. Blows my mind to think he has travels to every interstate match from Portland. He noted travelling to Perth, Brisbane etc is way easier than Ballarat games as he largely depends upon public transport.

1eyedog
12-04-2018, 08:11 PM
I sat about half a dozen people away from him at the EF in Perth! Amazing achievement it is knowing how hard it was for me to sort the Perth trip. Well done Gary, hats off.

josie
12-04-2018, 08:11 PM
After we beat the eagles in the 2016 EF, we chatted to Garry as he walked into the G. He’d stayed in Perth and flown back that morning for the Hawks match. We got a photo with him like he was a celebrity - which he is!!! Such dedication, well done

Yeah- I have a selfie with him and treasure the photo. His grin is one of the best you would ever hope to see, infectious happiness. Let’s hope the team can beat the swans to make this weekend a happy one for Garry.

1eyedog
12-04-2018, 08:13 PM
I sat about half a dozen people away from him at the EF in Perth! Amazing achievement it is knowing how hard it was for me to sort the Perth trip. He was crying after the Perth win. Well done Garry, hats off.

merantau
12-04-2018, 08:15 PM
Good onya Garry. That is a monumental achievement and something to be very proud of.

Twodogs
12-04-2018, 08:16 PM
I sat about half a dozen people away from him at the EF in Perth! Amazing achievement it is knowing how hard it was for me to sort the Perth trip. He was crying after the Perth win. Well done Garry, hats off.

So you said.

Eastdog
12-04-2018, 08:27 PM
What a legend. A great supporter of our club.

If I cross paths with him on Saturday I will definitely say hi and congratulate him.

craigsahibee
13-04-2018, 10:29 AM
Lovely bloke. Have sat next to him at Etihad last year and by chance met him in Canberra round 1 this year so we took bus ride together to Manuka Oval. Humble guy who just epitomises salt of the earth doggie supporter base. Blows my mind to think he has travels to every interstate match from Portland. He noted travelling to Perth, Brisbane etc is way easier than Ballarat games as he largely depends upon public transport.

He said that exact same thing to me after the Ballarat game last year. Walking out of the ground together I said to him that it would be the closest game for him and he did say it was the most difficult to get too.

I asked him about the first game in the sequence and I think it was a game at the WO against the Bombers. The streak would be a lot longer but he missed the previous weeks game against the Hawks at Waverley because he couldn't get there. Coincidentally, I remember being at that game as a 5 year old. It was late in the game and we were preparing to leave so we left our seats and stood at the concourse to watch the last few minutes. The Dogs were down by just under 2 goals, and who should step up with 2 late goals to win the game for the Dogs? Ivan Rasmussen. I'll never forget that day.

Twodogs
13-04-2018, 10:36 AM
He said that exact same thing to me after the Ballarat game last year. Walking out of the ground together I said to him that it would be the closest game for him and he did say it was the most difficult to get too.

I asked him about the first game in the sequence and I think it was a game at the WO against the Bombers. The streak would be a lot longer but he missed the previous weeks game against the Hawks at Waverley because he couldn't get there. Coincidentally, I remember being at that game as a 5 year old. It was late in the game and we were preparing to leave so we left our seats and stood at the concourse to watch the last few minutes. The Dogs were down by just under 2 goals, and who should step up with 2 late goals to win the game for the Dogs? Ivan Rasmussen. I'll never forget that day.

What year was that Craigsahibee?

bornadog
13-04-2018, 10:51 AM
What year was that Craigsahibee?

Pretty sure he is talking 1974, as that is the year Gary started his streak.

craigsahibee
13-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Pretty sure he is talking 1974, as that is the year Gary started his streak.

Yep. 74 it was

craigsahibee
13-04-2018, 12:41 PM
https://afltables.com/afl/seas/1974.html

My memory was a bit clouded. It must have been 2 late goals to seal the game according to the stats. As the game was in May, I was actually a month shy of turning 5.

Axe Man
13-04-2018, 12:48 PM

My memory was a bit clouded. It must have been 2 late goals to seal the game according to the stats. As the game was in May, I was actually a month shy of turning 5.

Love that Bernie Quinlan had 25 kicks, 0 handballs that day!

Twodogs
13-04-2018, 01:18 PM
Yep. 74 it was

Thanks boys, but we won easily both times we played Essendon in 1974.

Love that Bernie Quinlan had 25 kicks, 0 handballs that day!

Why would Bernie handball the ball? He could kick goals from pretty much anywhere forward of the centre.

Axe Man
13-04-2018, 01:43 PM
Why would Bernie handball the ball? He could kick goals from pretty much anywhere forward of the centre.

Didn't have a scoring shot that day, perhaps he was playing back?

Twodogs
13-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Didn't have a scoring shot that day, perhaps he was playing back?

He used to do a bit of that. Bevo would have loved a couple of versatile talls like Quinlan and Laurie Sandilands in the team that he could switch from CHF to full back or full forward to CHB or even take a turn in the ruck. And give him a ruckman like Gary Dempsey intercept marking everything across halfback and controlling the ruck and the fall of the ball to our advantage. Dempsey was the best mark of a football I ever saw. I can't remember him punching the ball away in a marking contest, he'd just work his way to the front and then outmark everyone.

Smads57
13-04-2018, 06:41 PM
I can't remember him punching the ball away in a marking contest, he'd just work his way to the front and then outmark everyone.

I have the same memories....

ledge
13-04-2018, 07:51 PM
Gary Dempsey was the best ruck/ mark in the game, think He used to average about 13 marks a game or more , nowadays it's about 3 or 4.

Twodogs
13-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Gary Dempsey was the best ruck/ mark in the game, think He used to average about 13 marks a game or more , nowadays it's about 3 or 4.

Proper marks too. Not just getting a dinky 20 metre kick to him when nobody was within 30 metres of him. I hated him for leaving but Dempsey was a gun.

mjp
13-04-2018, 10:42 PM
I like to think of myself as a pretty dedicated supporter and have been a member for nearly 30 years (basically my entire adult life). The idea of attending 1000 consecutive games is just mind-blowing to me.

I seem to remember a scene from 'The Club' where Jack Thompson (referring to Graham Kennedy's character) talked about him attending every game since he was 10 years old...and how "that might not impress you, but it sure as Christ impresses me...' (wish I could find the clip.

Anyway, that's how I feel. This is amazing and no amount of celebration would be enough.

Twodogs
13-04-2018, 11:26 PM
I like to think of myself as a pretty dedicated supporter and have been a member for nearly 30 years (basically my entire adult life). The idea of attending 1000 consecutive games is just mind-blowing to me.

I seem to remember a scene from 'The Club' where Jack Thompson (referring to Graham Kennedy's character) talked about him attending every game since he was 10 years old...and how "that might not impress you, but it sure as Christ impresses me...' (wish I could find the clip.

Anyway, that's how I feel. This is amazing and no amount of celebration would be enough.

Laurie Holden and Ted Parker (of Parker's Pies) were the characters names. That scene with just the two of the on the ground talking about their relationship and they get onto the topic Laurie's first game. Ted acts out Laurie's first touch of the footy and it's just a lovely piece of cinema. I think it's my favourite scene in an Australian movie. You can see that Kennedy is really enjoying himself, after all he grew up in Balaclava following the Saimts.

merantau
14-04-2018, 09:08 AM
Laurie Holden and Ted Parker (of Parker's Pies) were the characters names. That scene with just the two of the on the ground talking about their relationship and they get onto the topic Laurie's first game. Ted acts out Laurie's first touch of the footy and it's just a lovely piece of cinema. I think it's my favourite scene in an Australian movie. You can see that Kennedy is really enjoying himself, after all he grew up in Balaclava following the Saimts.

Yeah, that was a great scene from a great film. Kennedy, Thompson, Wilson - beautiful performances. BTW, Thompson's stand in for a couple of training scenes was Brendan McArdle ex- Vic cricketer and VFA footballer and Age sportwriter

Twodogs
14-04-2018, 09:53 AM
Yeah, that was a great scene from a great film. Kennedy, Thompson, Wilson - beautiful performances. BTW, Thompson's stand in for a couple of training scenes was Brendan McArdle ex- Vic cricketer and VFA footballer and Age sportwriter

I remember watching McArdle playing district cricket. He would have been a sensation in T-20 cricket.

AndrewP6
15-04-2018, 01:04 AM
He was in his element during the half time interview tonight. What a star.

Last year I met up with a mate in Cairns. He was staying in the same hostel as Gary, took a pic with him.

merantau
15-04-2018, 06:33 AM
It was great to see him given the recognition he so thoroughly deserves. I don't think that record will ever be beaten.

Twodogs
15-04-2018, 08:53 AM
It was great to see him given the recognition he so thoroughly deserves. I don't think that record will ever be beaten.

Even Jock McHale had a 1 match break (he missed the grand final in 1929 with flu) in his 711 game coaching career.

Throughandthrough
25-01-2020, 06:49 PM
saw Garry walking down the jetty at Glenelg today, wearing chef's hat. Didn't say hello.

bornadog
25-01-2020, 11:09 PM
saw Garry walking down the jetty at Glenelg today, wearing chef's hat. Didn't say hello.

I wonder why he wears the Chef's hat everywhere

chef
26-01-2020, 11:04 AM
Because chefs are cool?

The Underdog
26-01-2020, 11:31 AM
Because chefs are cool?

55 reality TV chefs indicate otherwise :)

chef
26-01-2020, 12:10 PM
55 reality TV chefs indicate otherwise :)

Real chefs, not those wankers you watch on reality tv.

Twodogs
26-01-2020, 12:23 PM
I wonder why he wears the Chef's hat everywhere

Yeah, it's not like our parents wore their overalls everywhere they went.

Oh hang on, yes they did!

ledge
26-01-2020, 04:19 PM
Yeah, it's not like our parents wore their overalls everywhere they went.

Oh hang on, yes they did!

Oh come on Eileen

Twodogs
26-01-2020, 07:24 PM
Oh come on Eileen

Have you ever actually listened to the lyrics of that song? They are filthy!

If Dexy or Kevin or whatever his name is (I think it is now was-he died last year I think) came sniffing around my daughter I'd be getting my cricket bat out and seeing him off.

ledge
26-01-2020, 09:16 PM
Have you ever actually listened to the lyrics of that song? They are filthy!

If Dexy or Kevin or whatever his name is (I think it is now was-he died last year I think) came sniffing around my daughter I'd be getting my cricket bat out and seeing him off.

The actual name of the song is rude ;-) I used to tell people the first sentence in the song included my name.

Twodogs
26-01-2020, 09:49 PM
The actual name of the song is rude ;-) I used to tell people the first sentence in the song included my name.

With you in that dress, my thoughts I confess
Verge on dirty oh COME ON Eileen!

Yes a little on the naughty side...

BornInDroopSt'54
26-01-2020, 10:08 PM
With you in that dress, my thoughts I confess
Verge on dirty oh COME ON Eileen!

Yes a little on the naughty side...

Innocent.

Twodogs
27-01-2020, 12:12 PM
Innocent.

I have a daughter and if I thought some fella sniffing around her was thinking that...

Let's just say there would be a lot of blood spilt.

The Adelaide Connection
14-03-2020, 11:36 AM
It looks like Garry Hincks’ incredible run is about to come to an end. I hope the club have considered this and can pop him in one of the empty boxes or something, but I had Change.org survey pop up on FB if anyone would like to throw their weight behind it.

https://www.change.org/p/gil-mclachlan-australian-football-league-afl-let-western-bulldogs-legendary-supporter-gary-hincks-watch-the-footy-live?recruiter=1050420519&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=tap_basic_share&utm_term=Search%3ESAP%3EAU%20CA%3EBrand%3EGeneral%3EExact

HOSE B ROMERO
14-03-2020, 06:46 PM
It looks like Garry Hincks’ incredible run is about to come to an end. I hope the club have considered this and can pop him in one of the empty boxes or something, but I had Change.org survey pop up on FB if anyone would like to throw their weight behind it.

https://www.change.org/p/gil-mclachlan-australian-football-league-afl-let-western-bulldogs-legendary-supporter-gary-hincks-watch-the-footy-live?recruiter=1050420519&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=tap_basic_share&utm_term=Search%3ESAP%3EAU%20CA%3EBrand%3EGeneral%3EExact

Signed it.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-03-2020, 10:15 PM

Signed

BornInDroopSt'54
14-03-2020, 10:27 PM
Signed

bornadog
14-03-2020, 10:32 PM
signed

Eastdog
14-03-2020, 10:53 PM
Signed

HOSE B ROMERO
14-03-2020, 11:49 PM
I remember speaking to Gary at vfl park years ago and he told me to he'd got up at 4.30 that morning to get to the footy from outside of Portland. I thought to myself 's*** i live in Melbourne and i think twice about coming out to this s***hole'.

Eastdog
14-03-2020, 11:57 PM
I remember speaking to Gary at vfl park years ago and he told me to he'd got up at 4.30 that morning to get to the footy from outside of Portland. I thought to myself 's*** i live in Melbourne and i think twice about coming out to this s***hole'.

It is just amazing commitment. It probably was similar for you Hose back in the day going to our games from the country.

Bulldog4life
15-03-2020, 10:43 AM
signed

Twodogs
15-03-2020, 12:10 PM
Signed and tweeted.

Twodogs
15-03-2020, 12:12 PM
It is just amazing commitment. It probably was similar for you Hose back in the day going to our games from the country.

It was all based in Melbourne back then Easty. The most distant place you got to go to was Geelong.

chef
15-03-2020, 12:12 PM
Surely he should be staying home and avoiding doing things that increase his risk of catching the virus at his age. No game of football is worth that.

Hotdog60
15-03-2020, 12:15 PM
Surely he should be staying home and avoiding doing things that increase his risk of catching the virus at his age. No game of football is worth that.

That was my thoughts as he is in the high risk category and he use public transport to go to games.

chef
15-03-2020, 12:19 PM
That was my thoughts as he is in the high risk category and he use public transport to go to games.

Yep, public transport and going into the city. Just asking to catch the virus.

Twodogs
15-03-2020, 12:20 PM

Send a defence force chopper in to extract him safely and get him to games!

Team, we have a very special task for the next couple of months. Has everyone got their PPE? It's time to head to Portland!

Eastdog
15-03-2020, 02:32 PM
It was all based in Melbourne back then Easty. The most distant place you got to go to was Geelong.

Yep that’s right TD all at the old grounds but I believe Hose lived in the country area in the 70s early 80s and travelled to Melbourne to watch the games.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2020, 07:22 PM

To be honest i could normally make the Western oval in 90 minutes. Waverley was a bit of a nightmare because i would get a bit lost on the way there and be in such a rush that i'd neglect to check where i'd parked. Then i'd come out after the game and have to wait in fading light for the other cars to empty out of the car park to find mine. And we mostly lost. Happy Days.

Nah, Gary is on another level.

Twodogs
15-03-2020, 07:33 PM
To be honest i could normally make the Western oval in 90 minutes. Waverley was a bit of a nightmare because i would get a bit lost on the way there and be in such a rush that i'd neglect to check where i'd parked. Then i'd come out after the game and have to wait in fading light for the other cars to empty out of the car park to find mine. And we mostly lost. Happy Days.

Nah, Gary is on another level.

Oh man. Semi final day V St Kilda in 1992 and on the way somebody had the brilliant idea of dropping into one of our connections in St Kilda and scoring some mull for the trip. We ended up nearly getting arrested in Warrigul road because we'd tapped into our supply and failed to notice (according to the cops) THREE complete traffic light rotations.

After the game we spent nearly 3 hours of celebrating time staggering around knee deep in the mud looking for the bloody car in the car park. It was OK tough because we had a heap of hashish... Although looking back now it might have been the shitloads of Hash we kept smoking that made finding the car so difficult.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2020, 07:33 PM
Yep that’s right TD all at the old grounds but I believe Hose lives in the country area in the 70s early 80s and travelled to Melbourne to watch the games.

Good recall Easty! You could host 'This is your Life'.

Eastdog
15-03-2020, 07:36 PM
Good recall Easty! You could host 'This is your Life'.

I remember from the thread about woofers VFL matchday trips. Docklands much better compared to Waverley closer to the action and well served by public transport. Waverley really didn't have that - it wasn't as well connected and not in a central area like Docklands.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2020, 07:41 PM
Oh man. Semi final day V St Kilda in 1992 and on the way somebody had the brilliant idea of dropping into one of our connections in St Kilda and scoring some mull for the trip. We ended up nearly getting arrested in Warrigul road because we'd tapped into our supply and failed to notice (according to the cops) THREE complete traffic light rotations.

After the game we spent nearly 3 hours of celebrating time staggering around knee deep in the mud looking for the bloody car in the car park. It was OK tough because we had a heap of hashish... Although looking back now it might have been the shitloads of Hash we kept smoking that made finding the car so difficult.

Crikey! I never even considered dope and footy as being suitable bedfellows. Cricket maybe.

That was an amazing afternoon. I still remember standing on the seat with another bulldog fan after the game belting out the club song.

But we digress.

Twodogs
15-03-2020, 07:52 PM
Crikey! I never even considered dope and footy as being suitable bedfellows. Cricket maybe.

That was an amazing afternoon. I still remember standing on the seat with another bulldog fan after the game belting out the club song.

But we digress.

Last match at Whitten oval and I run into a couple of my cousins-one of whom grows the best dope this side of Bangladesh. "lat's go" one of them said and I said "Best idea I've heard today but where can we go?" One of my cuz says 'No worries, I know the food van guy, he will let us jump in the back of one of the vans" so we asked and he said no worries and in the back we hopped.

Problem was the kid who was supposed to hang around and let us out when we were finished got distracted and wandered away. We had to shout and bang on the walls until a very amused looking copper opened up the doors of the van and said "what are you blokes up to?" but just as he said it the big fight broke out on the field and he rushed off to have a look.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-03-2020, 01:23 PM

Must have been that black Afghanie stuff dusted with white powder.

Twodogs
16-03-2020, 06:43 PM
Must have been that black Afghanie stuff dusted with white powder.

It could have been fairy dust in the end...

westdog54
19-03-2020, 03:07 PM

It took them three traffic light rotations to prop you in the first place?

Times have changed.

Twodogs
19-03-2020, 07:45 PM
It took them three traffic light rotations to prop you in the first place?

Times have changed.

It was more that it took us 3 rotations to notice the blues and twos. I remember the copper pointing it out. "Do you five know how long you were sitting there with us trying to catch ypour attention?"

Bulldog Revolution
20-03-2020, 06:19 PM
An exception should be made for the Cavarras and Hincks

AndrewP6
20-03-2020, 06:39 PM
An exception should be made for the Cavarras and Hincks

Apparently debutants can have immediate family there. The email from PG and Ameet says Hincks won’t be.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-03-2020, 11:53 PM
Apparently debutants can have immediate family there. The email from PG and Ameet says Hincks won’t be.

That is shit from the club. The club should've lobbied hard to make Gary front and centre behind the goals.

On the flipside, I'm kinda glad Gary wasn't made to watch that by himself.

Twodogs
21-04-2020, 12:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewRofRIm5uM

Kevin Rowland was a typical muso according to that.

Max469
11-08-2021, 10:45 PM
Hi, I thought everyone would like to know.

Garry's sister Jill posted this on the local Portland Facebook page tonight.

Garry Hincks had a massive stroke yesterday and is receiving palliative care here in Portland.

GVGjr
11-08-2021, 10:58 PM

Garry Hincks had a massive stroke yesterday and is receiving palliative care here in Portland.

Thanks for posting Max. Very sad to hear this.

Max469
11-08-2021, 11:01 PM
It is very sad. If I hear any more, I will let everyone know.

My mum loved Garry and he was always up for a chat with her (even knowing she was a North supporter). I have known his sisters since I was a teenager.

Eastdog
11-08-2021, 11:05 PM
Sad to hear. I wish Garry well. Could be the best ever supporter for us.

josie
11-08-2021, 11:05 PM
That’s sad news Max. Anyway we can send an e-message to Gary’s family in Portland?

Such a sweet guy. I’ve got a great photo of Gary and me in cheer squad from 4 or so years ago. I treasure it as much as much as the photos I have with players over the years. He is a RWB fan legend.

Max469
11-08-2021, 11:11 PM
Hi Josie

Very sad. I am sorry don't have the contact details, but if you are on Facebook the Portland page is called - I love Portland Victoria. His sister who has posted the information is Jillian Budde. Everyone is leaving messages and photos so feel free to join and post away.

bornadog
12-08-2021, 10:01 AM

Hope he recovers quickly. Thanks for letting us know.

Max469
12-08-2021, 10:47 AM
Sorry to say everyone, that Garry passed away this morning. Very sad news.

Facebook notice from his sister:

Jill Budde
My loved brother Garry Hincks left us peacefully this morning.
To you all thank you for your kind thoughts❣

Axe Man
12-08-2021, 10:53 AM
Sorry to hear, RIP Garry.

Hopefully the club will be informed and release a fitting tribute.

Does anybody know if Garry was able to get to the games that had crowds this season?

1eyedog
12-08-2021, 11:04 AM
Bugger was a good bloke glad he got through to 2016.

Bulldog Revolution
12-08-2021, 11:56 AM
RIP Garry

Hope wherever you are, you have your feet up and your watching the best of the bulldogs from over the years

Grantysghost
12-08-2021, 11:59 AM
Very sad news, what an amazing supporter saw him at many games over the years.

Condolences to his family; RIP Garry.

GVGjr
12-08-2021, 12:05 PM
His dedication to the club and seeing them play was enormous.

One of the last times I saw him at the footy was a Ballarat game and I was able to have a quick chat to him on the train home.

Can you imagine after getting the bus from Portland hopping onto a train trip into the city from Warnambool, a trip up and back from Ballarat and then another train and bus home to Portland via Warnambool?

That's a level of dedication and passion few people have. Vale Garry Hincks

Happy Days
12-08-2021, 12:16 PM
In 2019 me and my partner went to Adelaide for our anniversary, which just so happened to coincide with the Dogs playing Port.

The only other Dogs supporter I saw all weekend was Garry at the airport on the way home. When he saw my dogs scarf he came from maybe 30m away to tell me how stoked he was that we won, looking like he was about cry tears of joy the whole time.

Vale Garry. I don’t think it’s possible to love a footy club more than he did and I really hope the club does something to acknowledge him.

Murphy'sLore
12-08-2021, 12:22 PM
Very sad news. Garry was such a dedicated fan. Condolences to his family.

bornadog
12-08-2021, 12:50 PM
Gee, seems so sudden. Condolences to family and friends

KT31
12-08-2021, 01:15 PM
Sad news, condolences to family and friends. Hopefully the club wear black arm bands and have a win this weekend for such a great supporter.

bornadog
12-08-2021, 01:22 PM
Sad news, condolences to family and friends. Hopefully the club wear black arm bands and have a win this weekend for such a great supporter.

The club has been informed and will pay tribute to Gary in due course.

The bulldog tragician
12-08-2021, 01:25 PM
Such a lovable and quirky character. In the walk across the bridge to the final against Hawks in 2016 my sister and I stopped and chatted to him - he'd flown in from Perth where he was (of course) present at our win against the Weagles. I'm so glad he saw 2016 - no one could have deserved it more.

Max469
12-08-2021, 02:06 PM
A huge trip. Bus from Portland to Warrnambool. Then train to Melb and to Ballarat. Then return.

Have done the trip from Melb to Porto and return many many times. It is a big day. There are only a couple of buses out each day, so he would have been on the morning buses at either 5.52 am or 9.20am on Sat. or Weekdays at 4.24am, 7.48am or 10.30am so whatever time it would have been a long long day, over 5 hour trip each way. If no issues. A couple of years ago it took me over 6 hours as there a couple of holdups. Monumental effort.

Rest in Peace Garry.

Grantysghost
12-08-2021, 02:10 PM
A huge trip. Bus from Portland to Warrnambool. Then train to Melb and to Ballarat. Then return.

Have done the trip from Melb to Porto and return many many times. It is a big day. There are only a couple of buses out each day, so he would have been on the morning buses at either 5.52 am or 9.20am on Sat. or Weekdays at 4.24am, 7.48am or 10.30am so whatever time it would have been a long long day, over 5 hour trip each way. If no issues. A couple of years ago it took me over 6 hours as there a couple of holdups. Monumental effort.

Rest in Peace Garry.

Thanks for sharing Max, I had no idea the amount of travel time required. That's pretty amazing.

bornadog
12-08-2021, 03:08 PM
Thanks for sharing Max, I had no idea the amount of travel time required. That's pretty amazing.

Even with a car you are talking over 4 hours, so massive trip each way.

Axe Man
12-08-2021, 03:45 PM
Vale Garry Hincks (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/999071/?fbclid=IwAR0XAEOL7jhXRoyWMbx_KWadfPz4y5PP9e0A1QlNVZ4LEzHrPG UWwwtkrhE)

https://i.postimg.cc/J03xVDGV/HERO-120821-Garry.webp (https://postimages.org/)

The Western Bulldogs are mourning one of its most iconic supporters, Garry Hincks, who passed away today at the age of 76.

Garry was a legend among Bulldogs members and fans – a man who famously attended over 1000 consecutive games featuring his beloved red, white and blue.

Garry first saw the Bulldogs live back in 1974, and it was only the coronavirus pandemic last year - when crowds were locked out of stadiums – which halted that run.

Even at that first lockout game at the start of 2020, he was spotted outside Marvel Stadium, despite not being able to physically walk through the turnstiles.

Given he lived in Portland, a four-hour trip to Melbourne, his dedication to the Bulldogs was remarkable.

Garry was honoured for his passion and dedication to the Bulldogs after the Club won the 2016 premiership, by being part of the flag unfurling ceremony the following season.

The Bulldogs players will wear black armbands during their Round 23 match against Port Adelaide, to honour all former players, officials, members and fans who have passed away during 2021.

The Club would like to express its sincere condolences to Garry’s family and friends during this difficult time.

Scraggers
12-08-2021, 03:45 PM
Such a gentleman. Was always nice to me and my son. Used to call him Popeye … VALE Garry

Grantysghost
12-08-2021, 03:55 PM
Black armbands is very fitting. Do it for Garry boys.

DOG GOD
12-08-2021, 05:27 PM
Very sad.

angelopetraglia
12-08-2021, 07:00 PM
RIP Garry

merantau
12-08-2021, 08:24 PM
I met Garry at Ballarat two years ago. Lovely bloke. Condolences to family and friends. Garry was someone very special.

Eastdog
12-08-2021, 08:42 PM
RIP Garry. My condolences to his family and friends. Our most passionate supporter.

Eastdog
12-08-2021, 08:45 PM

Rest in Peace Garry.

Huge dedication.

josie
14-08-2021, 12:08 AM
Great 2013 Martin Flanagan article about Garry (& Libba senior). Both RWB treasures. Heartwarming. I think I read it when new but had forgotten about it:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/after-888-games-libba-and-garys-beautiful-friendship-20130531-2nhdd.html

Reading this article reminded me of the game I went to in Canberra (recall it was 2017, Tom Liberatore tore his ACL & GWS crushed us) & I was chatting to Garry before the game (both staying at same hotel). He said he would head to catholic mass at a big church not too far from ground before the game. I went too (not religious but enjoy beautiful singing & acoustics). Garry proudly said he had been a choir boy. He clearly loved church singing and services. And of course had been a cook (baker if I recall correctly). A rich life indeed - including our most loyal fan.

The Adelaide Connection
14-08-2021, 12:54 AM
Will anyone, ever outdo Garry’s incredible streak and dedication? I think a statue should be a huge consideration.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-08-2021, 01:01 AM
Will anyone, ever outdo Garry’s incredible streak and dedication? I think a statue should be a huge consideration.

We need to recognise him somehow thats' for sure. His dedication, is surely unparalleled?

jeemak
14-08-2021, 04:13 AM
True Bulldogs. Rest well mate.

DOG GOD
14-08-2021, 12:27 PM

That will never be beaten. I’ve been lucky to see the dogs live maybe 15 times in my life. His feat is just unfrigginbelievable. The bulldogs really need to do something to salute him in the best way possible.

The Adelaide Connection
14-08-2021, 01:26 PM
That will never be beaten. I’ve been lucky to see the dogs live maybe 15 times in my life. His feat is just unfrigginbelievable. The bulldogs really need to do something to salute him in the best way possible.

He is such an iconic character and, not that it should be the deciding factor in saluting someone with a statue, but Garry’s signature look (with the chef’s hat) would certainly work brilliantly.

Fans don’t often get acknowledged with a statue and I think it’s a really unique opportunity that also, by extension, acknowledges all supporters as critical to the club.

KT31
14-08-2021, 07:00 PM
He is such an iconic character and, not that it should be the deciding factor in saluting someone with a statue, but Garry’s signature look (with the chef’s hat) would certainly work brilliantly.

Fans don’t often get acknowledged with a statue and I think it’s a really unique opportunity that also, by extension, acknowledges all supporters as critical to the club.

Would have been nice if they had just started with a win and a bit of heart.:mad:

DOG GOD
14-08-2021, 07:04 PM
The players didn’t even have black armbands today.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 08:34 PM
The players didn’t even have black armbands today.

I thought that lacked some respect. Before teeing off I’d love to hear why the club did not do it. I’d hope there’s a good reason.

Eastdog
14-08-2021, 08:36 PM
I believe the Port game will be wearing the black arm bands.

KT31
14-08-2021, 08:39 PM
I believe the Port game will be wearing the black arm bands.

In honour of today’s performance?????:(

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 08:41 PM
In honour of today’s performance?????:(

Vale Top Spot

Gone. But not forgotten.

Scraggers
14-08-2021, 10:51 PM
My son would always call him Popeye … dunno why, he said that was Garry’s name. Garry didn’t seem to mind.