PDA

View Full Version : Unfulfilled promise remains: BULLDOGS IN FOCUS: Peter Gordon

LostDoggy
01-09-2014, 11:54 PM
Memo to everyone in the football department and our fans.

Dear Everyone,

Looking back, maybe our fast and winning finish to season 2013 gave us a sense of optimism and inevitability for a further ladder climb in 2014. Maybe the competition got better. Maybe 2014 showed the growing pains that are unavoidable and unpredictable for a young side on the move.

But no explanation provides much comfort as we assume our all-too-familiar position at the top of the bottom quartile of the AFL ladder for season 2014.

There’s been so much hard work by so many good people that it hurts to sit here this morning and write reflections on another season that was just not good enough.

So while I wish the players well on their Mad Monday, truth is, it’s a mad Monday for me, too … a different kind of mad. This morning, we begin a review of football operations that will be characterised by brutal honesty.
No one comes in to footy seeking out mediocrity. I know I didn’t resume the position of president at the Western Bulldogs prepared to accept year after year of unfulfilled promise. This year was not good enough.

I will get better and work harder for our club. That’s my promise to you. It’s also my expectation of each and every one of you.

Thanks to all our members and fans who helped us out this year. Thanks to everyone who made it such a huge and successful day for the return of blockbuster footy at the Whitten Oval on Sunday. Good luck to our young Footscray side in the next month as it battles for VFL honours.

And thanks to the people of Star Weekly for the opportunity I have had this year to write for our many western region fans.

http://www.maribyrnong.starweekly.com.au/story/1809655/bulldogs-in-focus-peter-gordon-unfulfilled-promise-remains/

Greystache
02-09-2014, 12:20 AM
It hurts reading that. Peter has given so much and worked so hard that it seems unfair it's gone unrewarded this year.

As supporters we appreciate your efforts Peter

bulldogtragic
02-09-2014, 12:21 AM
All I wanted to hear right now. I'm glad he said, I know he will do too.

Peter did everything asked or hoped for.

Remi Moses
02-09-2014, 01:26 AM
Fair to say we weren't the danger.

azabob
02-09-2014, 07:46 AM
Why does every thread with good intentions such as this one, have to have sarcasim or a weak throw away line in it? If anyone deserves some respect and that not to happen it's Peter.

LostDoggy
02-09-2014, 08:14 AM
This morning, we begin a review of football operations that will be characterised by brutal honesty.
No one comes in to footy seeking out mediocrity.

What I wanted to hear.

The Underdog
02-09-2014, 08:26 AM
I love that man. Thanks Peter.

The Doctor
02-09-2014, 08:47 AM
Memo to everyone in the football department and our fans.

This morning, we begin a review of football operations that will be characterised by brutal honesty.
No one comes in to footy seeking out mediocrity. I know I didn’t resume the position of president at the Western Bulldogs prepared to accept year after year of unfulfilled promise. This year was not good enough.

http://www.maribyrnong.starweekly.com.au/story/1809655/bulldogs-in-focus-peter-gordon-unfulfilled-promise-remains/

I just hope that isn't lip service and something is actually done about it.

Maddog37
02-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Very nice to read that. This season was poo.

Bulldog4life
02-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Well said Peter. We couldn't ask for a better credentialed President. A Bulldog through and through.

ledge
02-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Positive note look at our reserves they have been unbelievable as a team and have been successful off the ground, it's a definite winner he started there.
Would have bought more money to the club than the seniors on Sunday.

Mantis
02-09-2014, 12:46 PM
I just hope that isn't lip service and something is actually done about it.

Yep, the footy operations need to be held accountable and some changes to personnel are required.

Our development of players isn't what it should or needs to be.

LostDoggy
02-09-2014, 01:12 PM
I
Yep, the footy operations need to be held accountable and some changes to personnel are required.

Our development of players isn't what it should or needs to be.

Head coach?

Just on mad Monday. They should have told our players tto show up for training on Monday. If it is indeed just a job like Gia eluded to, what workplace in the world do you get a month extra off on full pay for being shite?

Mantis
02-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Head coach?

He is contracted for next year so I don't think it would be a great financial decision to terminate the contract at the minute, but if the club want to take that path I wouldn't be protesting.

Without knowing the contract of his support team I think we should be moving a few of them along.

susie bulldog
02-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Peter Gordon you have given your heart and soul and bled red white and blue for the WB this year. I salute you and say an enormous thank you. Sue Alberti AO

bornadog
02-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Peter Gordon you have given your heart and soul and bled red white and blue for the WB this year. I salute you and say an enormous thank you. Sue Alberti AO

Big thank you to Sue Alberti as well. We are a lucky club to have you and Peter on board.

The Doctor
02-09-2014, 03:57 PM
He is contracted for next year so I don't think it would be a great financial decision to terminate the contract at the minute, but if the club want to take that path I wouldn't be protesting.

Without knowing the contract of his support team I think we should be moving a few of them along.

Doesn't he have another 2 years, Macca that is.

ledge
02-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Yes he has Sue for many many years, a great man for us we have been blessed and the same can be said for you,

Cyberdoggie
02-09-2014, 04:17 PM

You would think a healthy football department would be continually introducing new coaches each year.

I think if your an assistant coach in a side that isn't dominating, you should probably be looking elsewhere every 2-3 years anyway or you are not developing yourself.

You don't want a mass exodus but a new voice or two is always good to provide new ideas.

soupman
02-09-2014, 04:46 PM
I

Head coach?

Just on mad Monday. They should have told our players tto show up for training on Monday. If it is indeed just a job like Gia eluded to, what workplace in the world do you get a month extra off on full pay for being shite?

They don't. Theres a reason why the teams resume pre-season at different times. The better you were the previous year, the later you start your pre-season so the players acquit their leave.

LostDoggy
02-09-2014, 05:06 PM
They don't. Theres a reason why the teams resume pre-season at different times. The better you were the previous year, the later you start your pre-season so the players acquit their leave.

Fair enough. How does that work with AFL listed players in the VFL?

soupman
02-09-2014, 05:09 PM
Fair enough. How does that work with AFL listed players in the VFL?

No idea:)

ledge
02-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Well isn't Gia one of our new coaches next year ?

Mantis
02-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Doesn't he have another 2 years, Macca that is.

I think you are right.. He initially got 3 and I think we extended last year for another 2... Not a bad gig if you can get it.

Hopefully we start the climb up the ladder next year otherwise we would have to seriously look at what we do in 2016.

ReLoad
03-09-2014, 01:26 PM
I think it's important to look at our assistant coaches, we have quite a few who have been with us for a while.

I'm very comfortable with macca at the helm, but I'd love to see a dean laidley like tactician and a new forward line coach, our forwards have been poo for ages and something needs to happen tactically as they are stagnating.

We have quite a few assistant coaches that have been with us for ages, time for some fresh ideas and to reinvigorate the players.

KT31
03-09-2014, 04:41 PM
I think it's important to look at our assistant coaches, we have quite a few who have been with us for a while.

I'm very comfortable with macca at the helm, but I'd love to see a dean laidley like tactician and a new forward line coach, our forwards have been poo for ages and something needs to happen tactically as they are stagnating.

We have quite a few assistant coaches that have been with us for ages, time for some fresh ideas and to reinvigorate the players.
Have always liked the idea of a ex-senior coach in the box as match day tactician to help Macca.
Unfortunately I think Monty has had a fair crack at it with limited success and now it is time for someone else to slot into the position.

bornadog
03-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Have always liked the idea of a ex-senior coach in the box as match day tactician to help Macca.
Unfortunately I think Monty has had a fair crack at it with limited success and now it is time for someone else to slot into the position.

Couldn't agree more. Haven't liked Monty from day 1, plus some of his stupid comments when Eade was at the club.

KT31
03-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Couldn't agree more. Haven't liked Monty from day 1, plus some of his stupid comments when Eade was at the club.

I still fail to see what our match day game plan is (kick and hope is not a plan) or any real semblance of a winning structure.
And the failure this season to not work out how to address an oppositions extra man in defence just infuriates me week in week out.
I am hoping, if Gordon was serious about the review, that there is know way known Monty could keep his position.

SlimPickens
03-09-2014, 05:21 PM
if Gordon was serious about the review, that there is know way known Monty could keep his position.

Apart from the fact that their wives (PG and Montys) have just gone into business together at Barkers cafe. I agree our opposition analysis has been pretty ordinary at stages this year.

Rohan Smiths position as defensive coach needs to be looked at as well.

bornadog
03-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Apart from the fact that their wives (PG and Montys) have just gone into business together at Barkers cafe. I agree our opposition analysis has been pretty ordinary at stages this year.

Rohan Smiths position as defensive coach needs to be looked at as well.

and the Shannon Grant forward role.

Who is our midfield coach?

LostDoggy
03-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Isn't Stevn King the midfield coach?

Greystache
03-09-2014, 05:41 PM
and the Shannon Grant forward role.

Who is our midfield coach?

Steven King

bornadog
03-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Isn't Stevn King the midfield coach?

Steven King

Thanks.

I wonder how he is travelling.

Stefcep
03-09-2014, 08:00 PM
I don't post much these days but it seems to me that one issue the club has is the fact that there are a few too many players that have 50-80 games or 4 or so seasons under their belt that the were supposed to take the club forward that are yet to live up to expectation.

I' m talking Grant, Roughhead, Jones William Wood Cordy of the top of my head.