PDA

View Full Version : Damien Barrett what's his agenda ?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Jeanette54
26-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Perhaps Bevo was channeling Schrodinger's cat.

Twodogs
26-07-2019, 01:39 PM
Perhaps Bevo was channeling Schrodinger's cat.

And get that dead cat bounce that always kills us.

mjp
26-07-2019, 02:02 PM
WTF does that even mean?

The sliding doors thing is un-necessary and simply a case of the author taking another pot-shot at our coach...if you watch the video where West is told of his debut, Bevo talks about a bird in the hand that may be dead and may be alive and a wise old man (played by Morris) is also involved...it is an entertaining skit and all the players are laughing but the meaning of it all is a little difficult to determine!

Rocket Science
26-07-2019, 02:29 PM
He's trying to be cute. (Ha! Exclamation marks!!!) And mildly insulting at the same time.

He failed at least one of those aims.

The Underdog
26-07-2019, 02:34 PM
The sliding doors thing is un-necessary and simply a case of the author taking another pot-shot at our coach...if you watch the video where West is told of his debut, Bevo talks about a bird in the hand that may be dead and may be alive and a wise old man (played by Morris) is also involved...it is an entertaining skit and all the players are laughing but the meaning of it all is a little difficult to determine!

I get the feeling it fell apart before it got to the point. Which is a shame. I wanted to see how it played out.

The Pie Man
26-07-2019, 02:49 PM
The best bit of that video was this.

(not word for word)

Bevo : this is what happens when you rely on cheap talent
Moz (to the group) : ...well he gave me 5 minutes

I took it that the future is now in Rhylee's hands

hujsh
26-07-2019, 02:57 PM
The best bit of that video was this.

(not word for word)

Bevo : this is what happens when you rely on cheap talent
Moz (to the group) : ...well he gave me 5 minutes

I took it that the future is now in Rhylee's hands

Yeah the point was that 'whether alive or dead what's important is that it's in your hands'

Vred
26-07-2019, 04:48 PM
he needs another visit in the mens room. WTF?

Honestly just on the bullshit that Mr. Grub caused Boyd I'd probably punch him out in the street if I saw him.

MrMahatma
26-07-2019, 11:40 PM
Best to ignore.

Twodogs
28-07-2019, 01:12 PM
Best to ignore.

That would be seen as a weakness. Best to punch him in the face and remove any doubt I reckon.

Ghost Dog
28-07-2019, 01:29 PM

It just means, it's up to him. Always admired Bevos use ofnarrative, metaphor, and other methods outside the box. Barrett is a gas lighter of first order and sniper. Negative nelly

Bulldog4life
29-07-2019, 02:18 PM
That would be seen as a weakness. Best to punch him in the face and remove any doubt I reckon.

Yes and if the cops come just say "he started it".

Twodogs
29-07-2019, 08:06 PM
Yes and if the cops come just say "he started it".

That's my normal go to excuse, along with "a big boy did it and then ran away" and "it was like that when we got here"

ledge
30-07-2019, 05:27 PM
Bet he isn’t game enough to mention Morris in a negative way.

Daughter of the West
30-07-2019, 08:50 PM
*Sigh*

Given, I'd argue, less than half our actual supporters would have even seen the video he was referring to (let alone opposition supporters), that would make no f-ing sense to most of the footy reading public.

I thought the ultimate message was really lovely ("It's all in your hands Rhylee"), I thought using Dale Morris as the wise old man was both funny and a touching tribute and the fact that the attempt was stuffed up by the rough talent was pretty funny!

The sooner the AFL put an end to this drivel the better. But they won't, because the lowest common denominator always wins :rolleyes:

BornInDroopSt'54
30-07-2019, 08:58 PM

He looks like he is used to being punched but its an illusion or projection but his face does say punch me but thats the evil in me that thinks that.

Murphy'sLore
01-08-2019, 05:21 PM
Barrett would have to rely on videos for his material as I'm sure he gets nothing from the club.

AshMac
01-08-2019, 06:58 PM
Almost certain his strategy is to be as devicive and provoking as he can be w dogs so our fans react.

An active thread in its most die hard online home suggests it works.

Rocket Science
09-08-2019, 11:52 AM
I know I shouldn't but when Purple willingly confirms the obvious ...

https://i.ibb.co/ckXgvk3/Screen-Shot-2019-08-09-at-10-42-09-am.png (https://ibb.co/jbZ65bf)

Happy Days
09-08-2019, 01:35 PM
This chat around Jenkins is getting me very nervous.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2019, 01:41 PM

If we are paying his $500,000 2020 wage then I completely and utterly agree. But, if they paid a good chunk of his salary and took a pick we won't use (essentially a DFA on the average AFEL wage) then I can be convinced. And as long as this is a steak knives to the Alex Keith trade. But only in these circumstances.

Mofra
09-08-2019, 01:53 PM
If we are paying his $500,000 2020 wage then I completely and utterly agree. But, if they paid a good chunk of his salary and took a pick we won't use (essentially a DFA on the average AFEL wage) then I can be convinced. And as long as this is a steak knives to the Alex Keith trade. But only in these circumstances.
Apparently he has $800k remaining over the last two years (according to a Crows fan).
Not sure that changes much but I've moved into the 'acceptance' phase of this rumour.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2019, 02:09 PM
Apparently he has $800k remaining over the last two years (according to a Crows fan).
Not sure that changes much but I've moved into the 'acceptance' phase of this rumour.

$400,000 a year isn't too bad. But I'm not interested unless Keith is part of the deal. For something like Williams and a minor pick/upgrade, and they get salary cap relief.

bornadog
09-08-2019, 03:35 PM

I don't want him anywhere near VU Whitten Oval

GVGjr
10-08-2019, 10:35 AM
I don't want him anywhere near VU Whitten Oval

Any specifics?

bornadog
10-08-2019, 03:25 PM
Any specifics?

We don't need a lumbering 31 year old player in the forward line. Schache and Naughton are the future

GVGjr
10-08-2019, 03:54 PM
We don't need a lumbering 31 year old player in the forward line. Schache and Naughton are the future

So it's his age that has you not wanting him anywhere near the club? I thought it might have been something more sinister given the strong statement.
The age consideration really shouldn't come into it.

I don't think we need Jenkins but I don't have an issue if the club thinks we need another taller player who can help out in the ruck a bit. It hardly threatens the club or the playing list especially when so many people also look at our age and experiences profile to explain losses. His form has been patchy which has me questioning his value but I do find it interesting that we are apparently considering Harley Bennell but won't have a bar of Jenkins

bornadog
10-08-2019, 03:59 PM
So it's his age that has you not wanting him anywhere near the club? I thought it might have been something more sinister given the strong statement.
The age consideration really shouldn't come into it.

I don't think we need Jenkins but I don't have an issue if the club thinks we need another taller player who can help out in the ruck a bit. It hardly threatens the club or the playing list especially when so many people also look at our age and experiences profile to explain losses. His form has been patchy which has me questioning his value but I do find it interesting that we are apparently considering Harley Bennell but won't have a bar of Jenkins

You missed a vital word, "Lumbering". To me he is an old fashioned FF. When he doesn't have the ball, he won't be chasing much and will therefore be a liability.

GVGjr
10-08-2019, 04:10 PM
You missed a vital word, "Lumbering". To me he is an old fashioned FF. When he doesn't have the ball, he won't be chasing much and will therefore be a liability.

No, the vital word is age. It's the same reason you challenged Bailey Dale's inclusion a few weeks back. Wasn't it something like he's 23 and had enough chances?

So you don't want a lumbering key forward but would role the dice on Bennell who's played 2 senior games in 4 years? I get Bennell at his best is a good player but he hasn't been able to get on the park for four years. Prior to this season Jenkins has played a 20 games plus for the previous 5 years. Is Jenkins really that much of a risk?

bornadog
10-08-2019, 04:39 PM
No, the vital word is age. It's the same reason you challenged Bailey Dale's inclusion a few weeks back. Wasn't it something like he's 23 and had enough chances?

So you don't want a lumbering key forward but would role the dice on Bennell who's played 2 senior games in 4 years? I get Bennell at his best is a good player but he hasn't been able to get on the park for four years. Prior to this season Jenkins has played a 20 games plus for the previous 5 years. Is Jenkins really that much of a risk?

No the word is lumbering.

Jury still out on Dale. He was playing shocking footy and had been on the list for 7 years. Saved himself With a couple of good games but needs to back it up.

On Harley, yes I would give a potential A grader a go

GVGjr
10-08-2019, 04:57 PM

Jury still out on Dale. He was playing shocking footy and had been on the list for 7 years. Saved himself With a couple of good games but needs to back it up.

I don't get your selection criteria. Jenkins has has often kicked more than 40 goals in a season and has kicked 22 goals in just 11 games this season, Bennell has hardly played a senior game in 4 years and has no form line. For some reason the goal kicking and durable Jenkins is seen as a risk, Bennell who is battling constant injury concerns and has had many off field distractions is seen as an almost must have opportunity. Jenkins shouldn't been anywhere near the VU Whitten Oval but Bennell should be...I don't get the logic. Lumbering or not, Jenkins plays deep and I don't think he's been exposed in that area.

And to top it off the jury is apparently still out on Dale after one game.

I'm not sure we need Jenkins but I don't share the view that he shouldn't be anywhere near the club based on what I've seen.
Bennell might be a good news story but based on form it's more of a risk

bornadog
10-08-2019, 06:19 PM
I don't get your selection criteria. Jenkins has has often kicked more than 40 goals in a season and has kicked 22 goals in just 11 games this season, Bennell has hardly played a senior game in 4 years and has no form line. For some reason the goal kicking and durable Jenkins is seen as a risk, Bennell who is battling constant injury concerns and has had many off field distractions is seen as an almost must have opportunity. Jenkins shouldn't been anywhere near the VU Whitten Oval but Bennell should be...I don't get the logic. Lumbering or not, Jenkins plays deep and I don't think he's been exposed in that area.

I'm not sure we need Jenkins but I don't share the view that he shouldn't be anywhere near the club based on what I've seen.

I have stated my reasons and they are different to yours.

Jury out because Dale, every year plays one or two good games and then disappears. I want him to be consistent every week, and contribute.

1eyedog
10-08-2019, 06:52 PM

I think it's pretty simple. Jenkins will cost a shite load and unless we're sending Naughton back full time (which I don't want to do) , BAD is right in that it pretty much means Schache or Trengove have to go. Jenkins' ceiling is low and he has more stinkers than solid games. Bennell is a bigger risk but you'd think would be prepared to prove himself for unders. If it works the sky is the limit. We're crying out for a skillful, quick outside goalkicker not a washed up never been who is going to take the spot of one of our developing talls.

GVGjr
10-08-2019, 06:55 PM
But age is being offered up as the reason and that he is supposedly lumbering. I'm not sure we need him but compared to Bennell he seems like less of a risk

1eyedog
10-08-2019, 07:08 PM
I don't want either of them but I can understand the rationale behind our supposed interest in Bennell re. potential skill set. FWIW we have the cash and I'd prefer to go for a bone fide smart small like Martin or Tippa. Maybe Bennell is plan C but I don't get the Jenkins discussion. He's behind our current two tall forwards at the moment at least as far as I'm concerned.

Throughandthrough
11-08-2019, 01:58 PM
we were all over Martin in his draft year, was high on our list of players we deeply considered

Happy Days
11-08-2019, 02:16 PM
we were all over Martin in his draft year, was high on our list of players we deeply considered

We were looking at giving up the Ward pick for him IIRC, which probably means no Macrae. Sometimes we really are saved from ourselves.

Ghost Dog
11-08-2019, 02:46 PM

Honestly? If Dustin Martin says he's too loose. That's saying something.
Club's no dickhead's policy seems to be going well. No thanks.

Remi Moses
11-08-2019, 03:28 PM
No way to Bennell
Potential a grader, but no for me
No to Jenkins also , as we have Schache developing nicely now

chef
11-08-2019, 03:36 PM

With your dislike of Stringer I'm surprised you'd want Harley anywhere near our list.

Happy Days
11-08-2019, 03:46 PM
Given Bennell tried to fight a journo at the Brownlow you'd have to think Bevo would be a fan.

Bulldog4life
11-08-2019, 05:07 PM
Heard on the radio that one Victorian club has contacted Bennell's management. Hawthorn would be my guess.

bornadog
11-08-2019, 05:22 PM
With your dislike of Stringer I'm surprised you'd want Harley anywhere near our list.

Completely different

chef
11-08-2019, 05:27 PM
Completely different

Agree, Bennell is next level DH compared to Jake.

bornadog
11-08-2019, 05:32 PM
Agree, Bennell is next level DH compared to Jake.

I have more sympathy for someone brought up under his circumstances. No one wanted Sydney Stack and he has been turned around.

Jake well, besides his off field behavior which was lower than low, he is actually a very ordinary footballer, who has potential, but he is too lazy to work hard. 7 disposals last night proved that.

Bulldog Joe
11-08-2019, 05:32 PM
Completely different

I don't understand why you are so keen on Bennell.

There was a lot on here really keen when he was leaving Gold Coast, but I was really against it then and am even more against it now.

The last 4 years have shown that not getting him was to our benefit and we are much better pursuing players that meet needs and that will come from solid experience not hit and miss players.

bornadog
11-08-2019, 05:34 PM
I don't understand why you are so keen on Bennell.

There was a lot on here really keen when he was leaving Gold Coast, but I was really against it then and am even more against it now.

The last 4 years have shown that not getting him was to our benefit and we are much better pursuing players that meet needs and that will come from solid experience not hit and miss players.

Hang on BJ, when you use the words so keen makes it sound like I really want him. The question was asked, would you give him a go, and I said yes. That is all.

Bulldog Joe
11-08-2019, 05:37 PM
Hang on BJ, when you use the words so keen makes it sound like I really want him. The question was asked, would you give him a go, and I said yes. That is all.

OK.

The risk with Harley is not one I am at all comfortable with.

bornadog
11-08-2019, 05:39 PM
OK.

The risk with Harley is not one I am at all comfortable with.

fair enough and that could be true and we don't chase him. Doesn't worry me either way. I would rather be chasing Martin if we are keen on getting some indigenous players.

GVGjr
11-08-2019, 06:01 PM
I have more sympathy for someone brought up under his circumstances. No one wanted Sydney Stack and he has been turned around.

Jake well, besides his off field behavior which was lower than low, he is actually a very ordinary footballer, who has potential, but he is too lazy to work hard. 7 disposals last night proved that.

Has Stack actually been turned around? He's been given an opportunity and grasped it strongly. Bennell on the other hand has been given two chances from AFL clubs and now might be a chance to receive a 3rd. I thank our lucky stars we didn't grab him back when Eade was shopping him around.

I'm not sure the two examples are comparable to be honest. Bennell's rap sheet is a bit daunting in my opinion and the fact that he has played just 2 senior games in 4 years doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Is the upside really there?
In comparison Stack just needed some guidance.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2019, 06:21 PM
Frankly, we should be looking at everyone. Even if it's to confirm they're not part of the plans for us going forward. Or maybe we see an opportunity. Bennell is best an SSP/rookie. Jenkins surely involves them paying a large chunk of his wage and next to nothing trade wise (may be the key to getting them getting Keath to us). In those contexts I can see interesting angles. Ordinarily, I'd say no to both. But if they're coming for next to nothing then the conversation changes for me to 'let's how how that would look and see if the players would fit into the culture, and gameplan'. I trust Sam Power and the broader team to look at a wide variety of players and options and make sure we are getting a better list for the movements after our finals series.

GVGjr
11-08-2019, 06:31 PM
Frankly, we should be looking at everyone. Even if it's to confirm they're not part of the plans for us going forward. Or maybe we see an opportunity. Bennell is best an SSP/rookie. Jenkins surely involves them paying a large chunk of his wage and next to nothing trade wise (may be the key to getting them getting Keath to us). In those contexts I can see interesting angles. Ordinarily, I'd say no to both. But if they're coming for next to nothing then the conversation changes for me to 'let's how how that would look and see if the players would fit into the culture, and gameplan'. I trust Sam Power and the broader team to look at a wide variety of players and options and make sure we are getting a better list for the movements after our finals series.

We have invested strongly (Not necessarily in high draft picks) in maturity and leadership in the likes of Trengove, Crozier and Duryea
that I can't see us taking unnecessary risks. The likes of Martin, Keath and Tomlinson all make sense from a positional sense and to provide us with more experience. I'm sure we will cast the net wide but we won't be interested in any distracted types.

If we can finish this season strongly I think opposition players will view us more favorably.

ledge
11-08-2019, 06:49 PM
We have invested strongly (Not necessarily in high draft picks) in maturity and leadership in the likes of Trengove, Crozier and Duryea
that I can't see us taking unnecessary risks. The likes of Martin, Keath and Tomlinson all make sense from a positional sense and to provide us with more experience. I'm sure we will cast the net wide but we won't be interested in any distracted types.

If we can finish this season strongly I think opposition players will view us more favorably.

I think this thread has gone off on a tangent, where does this relate to Barrett ?

Bulldog4life
11-08-2019, 06:52 PM
I think this thread has gone off on a tangent, where does this relate to Barrett ?

We might draft him too?

bulldogtragic
11-08-2019, 07:19 PM

How do we know he's distracted now? He's clocking up the frequent flyer miles to find surgeons and specialists that can get him playing again. I'd say he's 100% focussed on that alone (ie. not a distracted type). Maybe having a kid has grounded him and maybe he wants the chance to leave a legacy for his kids other than what they'd find in they googled him today. So maybe he's doubly focussed. Maybe taking what he knows is his one last chance triply focusses him.

He's an SSP candidate (rookie), one year, minimum wage.

If Bevo, Power & Bains sat down with him and he passed the interview. Then he tested at VU and a full on review of his calves by our surgeons and medico's and they thought they could do something positive to get him playing. And let's say for argument sake he does play again. That puts the money and ball in a MoneyBall selection. I don't see the risk in exploring the idea, and if Bell says 'he's ticked all the boxes' then I don't see the risk in a one year rookie spot, minimum wage.

Alternatively, he could fail an interview and medical and this is all moot. But I don't see the benefit of dismissing the idea right now though. I'm not convinced one way or the other, but if the club went about exploring the recruitment of him and he passed the tests, I'm backing Sam Power, Bevo & Bains to make the best call for the club.

ledge
11-08-2019, 07:44 PM
How do we know he's distracted now? He's clocking up the frequent flyer miles to find surgeons and specialists that can get him playing again. I'd say he's 100% focussed on that alone (ie. not a distracted type). Maybe having a kid has grounded him and maybe he wants the chance to leave a legacy for his kids other than what they'd find in they googled him today. So maybe he's doubly focussed. Maybe taking what he knows is his one last chance triply focusses him.

He's an SSP candidate (rookie), one year, minimum wage.

If Bevo, Power & Bains sat down with him and he passed the interview. Then he tested at VU and a full on review of his calves by our surgeons and medico's and they thought they could do something positive to get him playing. And let's say for argument sake he does play again. That puts the money and ball in a MoneyBall selection. I don't see the risk in exploring the idea, and if Bell says 'he's ticked all the boxes' then I don't see the risk in a one year rookie spot, minimum wage.

Alternatively, he could fail an interview and medical and this is all moot. But I don't see the benefit of dismissing the idea right now though. I'm not convinced one way or the other, but if the club went about exploring the recruitment of him and he passed the tests, I'm backing Sam Power, Bevo & Bains to make the best call for the club.

Or we could stick to the original thread about Barrett and talk about this in the trade thread :-)

mjp
11-08-2019, 09:00 PM
Or we could stick to the original thread about Barrett and talk about this in the trade thread :-)

To be fair, some of the best threads ever were entitled ‘ “username” please check your pms’ and my ‘Brisbane were ready for us’ thread from a week ago turned into an analysis of our kicking skills (again) and a referendum on The playability of Wood and Corey...

Going off the rails is what makes things fun.

mjp
11-08-2019, 09:07 PM

Syd’s circumstances growing up were significantly more challenging than Harley’s...but he was never, ever a risk at AFL level during a footy season. Harley is a bit more of a party boy (obviously). Both are very charismatic and likeable. I will continue to reiterate this and am pretty confident NO-ONE can talk about these two players more than I can.

bornadog
11-08-2019, 09:23 PM
Syd’s circumstances growing up were significantly more challenging than Harley’s...but he was never, ever a risk at AFL level during a footy season. Harley is a bit more of a party boy (obviously). Both are very charismatic and likeable. I will continue to reiterate this and am pretty confident NO-ONE can talk about these two players more than I can.

Yeah, we are only guessing.

Ghost Dog
11-08-2019, 10:16 PM
On Benell, I'm not sure eastern state journalists have done indigenous footy much justice in recent times. I'd like to know more about footy up there. Mangrook is great fun.
I can't remember the last time I read a really good article on the challenges indegenious players face on a practical level by mainstream journalists.. A story not being told well. Feel free to start a thread mjp!

Mofra
11-08-2019, 10:43 PM
Has Stack actually been turned around? He's been given an opportunity and grasped it strongly. Bennell on the other hand has been given two chances from AFL clubs and now might be a chance to receive a 3rd. I thank our lucky stars we didn't grab him back when Eade was shopping him around.

I'm not sure the two examples are comparable to be honest. Bennell's rap sheet is a bit daunting in my opinion and the fact that he has played just 2 senior games in 4 years doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Is the upside really there?
In comparison Stack just needed some guidance.
It certainly seems like that, not a bad kid just needed a bit of structure and Richmond to their credit have provided him with that.
I want us to take the risks on those types - kids who just lack opportunity and come from backgrounds that makes clubs think they're a risk so they slide down the draft order despite their talent.

We have Brett Goodes and should back the club in.

Twodogs
11-08-2019, 11:10 PM
To be fair, some of the best threads ever were entitled ‘ “username” please check your pms’ and my ‘Brisbane were ready for us’ thread from a week ago turned into an analysis of our kicking skills (again) and a referendum on The playability of Wood and Corey...

Going off the rails is what makes things fun.

Yep. Conversations evolve and expand into different topics. As one who is often accused of taking threads off track I don't think that it's a huge problem. Certainly not one worth getting too worked up about, I'm sure that everyone can keep up.

GVGjr
11-08-2019, 11:18 PM
It certainly seems like that, not a bad kid just needed a bit of structure and Richmond to their credit have provided him with that.
I want us to take the risks on those types - kids who just lack opportunity and come from backgrounds that makes clubs think they're a risk so they slide down the draft order despite their talent.

We have Brett Goodes and should back the club in.

Years back when we drafted Stack, Lynch and Hill all in the same year it was on Jason Mifsud to help that along. I think Brett Goodes would be a far better option in that role.

mjp
11-08-2019, 11:27 PM
On Benell, I'm not sure eastern state journalists have done indigenous footy much justice in recent times. I'd like to know more about footy up there!

That’s the thing though GD. Neither of these two are from ‘up there’. Syd’s from Northam (45 mins east of Perth) but moved to Perth at 16 - H is from MANDURAH and didn’t move anywhere till he was drafted (played for peel thunder which is Mandurah).

Most indigenous tales being told aren’t about kids from remote communities - even jack Martin is from Broome but spent. A lot of time in Geraldton and Joel Hamling is from Broome. This year, Liam Henry is going to be reported as being from the north west but he has lived most of his life in the south east suburb of Maddington and more recently has been boarding at Christ Church (basically the #1 academic high school in the entire country located in the leafy green coastal suburb of Claremont).

It’s funny. Before I moved to Melbourne I coached at south Fremantle for a year and 14 of our starting 22 were indigenous (lost the colts gf). I coached at the western jet s for 3 years and not one indigenous kid. Back to Perth and you know what is coming next.

Talent I can show you. But trying to harness it...it isn’t that easy when the kids have challenging home circumstances (indiginous or otherwise) and 99% of the population are either oblivious or simply take the ‘...if I had the talent he had, I would have won 3 Brownlow medals’ approach. It’s hard when you are 17 and being expected to do an awful lot for zero reward with no guarantee of an outcome...and the situation with Stack - all Australian, club b+f, colts team of the year etc - not being drafted was an absolute disgrace and not enough has been made of this.

Twodogs
11-08-2019, 11:35 PM
Years back when we drafted Stack, Lynch and Hill all in the same year it was on Jason Mifsud to help that along. I think Brett Goodes would be a far better option in that role.

Goodes has already proven that he can stick around. Mifsud was out the door 30 seconds after he got a better offer and stuff everyone else.

bornadog
12-08-2019, 12:09 AM
Goodes has already proven that he can stick around. Mifsud was out the door 30 seconds after he got a better offer and stuff everyone else.

The club is also advertising currently for an Indigenous Progams Manager - I guess working with Brett, plus we have added an Indigenous Board member. She helped setup Richmonds programmes.

Ghost Dog
12-08-2019, 09:44 AM
That’s the thing though GD. Neither of these two are from ‘up there’. Syd’s from Northam (45 mins east of Perth) but moved to Perth at 16 - H is from MANDURAH and didn’t move anywhere till he was drafted (played for peel thunder which is Mandurah).

Most indigenous tales being told aren’t about kids from remote communities - even jack Martin is from Broome but spent. A lot of time in Geraldton and Joel Hamling is from Broome. This year, Liam Henry is going to be reported as being from the north west but he has lived most of his life in the south east suburb of Maddington and more recently has been boarding at Christ Church (basically the #1 academic high school in the entire country located in the leafy green coastal suburb of Claremont).

It’s funny. Before I moved to Melbourne I coached at south Fremantle for a year and 14 of our starting 22 were indigenous (lost the colts gf). I coached at the western jet s for 3 years and not one indigenous kid. Back to Perth and you know what is coming next.

Talent I can show you. But trying to harness it...it isn’t that easy when the kids have challenging home circumstances (indiginous or otherwise) and 99% of the population are either oblivious or simply take the ‘...if I had the talent he had, I would have won 3 Brownlow medals’ approach. It’s hard when you are 17 and being expected to do an awful lot for zero reward with no guarantee of an outcome...and the situation with Stack - all Australian, club b+f, colts team of the year etc - not being drafted was an absolute disgrace and not enough has been made of this.

Respect, thanks for that MJP. Amazing achievements. Unique perspective. What an experience you've had there and so close with the Colts. I have many relatives in WA and they are so passionate about footy.

I guess there are a lot of complex intercultural issues even with young indigenous people growing up in the suburbs. My brother transcribes legal case audio for a living. He says the amount of harsh stories coming out of the suburbs of Perth are pretty full on.
Economically the suburbs of WA are having a tough time.

The Melbourne media, in my view doesn't do a great job at representing WA clubs or QLD clubs. When was the last time AFL sponsored media seriously looked at indigenous cultural issues ( positive ) in a meaningful way. AFL.com media really needs someone who can give indigenous players a voice. To turn it back to the thread theme, they are so one-setting with the whole sliding doors bit and general presentation of the game.

westdog54
12-08-2019, 09:51 AM
The Melbourne media, in my view doesn't do a great job at representing WA clubs or QLD clubs. When was the last time AFL sponsored media seriously looked at indigenous cultural issues ( positive ) in a meaningful way. AFL.com media really needs someone who can give indigenous players a voice.

The last time it was attempted a dual brownlow medallist and two time premiership player was booed into retirement.

Ghost Dog
12-08-2019, 09:57 AM
The last time it was attempted a dual brownlow medallist and two time premiership player was booed into retirement.

Well said WD45 . It's astounding to me that with all it's drum bashing about reconciliation, AFL media does not have ( am I right? ) an indigenous presenter on it's books, or someone who has worked a lot with indigenous communities. Would be great to have a Micheal Long or other in the media more often.

bornadog
29-08-2019, 04:40 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDCd0bdXoAA9eYR?format=jpg&name=medium

The bulldog tragician
29-08-2019, 05:03 PM
That is one of the best parody accounts ever.

Dancin' Douggy
29-08-2019, 05:36 PM
I'm sur he was GUTTED when we made the 8. Asshole.

AshMac
29-08-2019, 07:12 PM

Fantastic post!

AshMac
29-08-2019, 07:14 PM
I'm sur he was GUTTED when we made the 8. Asshole.

I loved the fact that he tagged on us as being the only club to miss finals for 3 years in 30 off years for two reasons:

1. He was wrong and can get stuffed
2. It’s only relevant BECAUSE WE WON A PREMIERSHIP

Dancin' Douggy
30-08-2019, 10:37 AM
I can just picture his face getting sourer and sourer as we pumped through goal, after unanswered goal against the Crows.

His vendetta and entire narrative evaporating in front of his weasel face.........

Cyberdoggie
06-09-2019, 03:18 PM
Apparently now he thinks we are leaving Dickson out of the 22 because of selection.

azabob
06-09-2019, 03:45 PM
Apparently now he thinks we are leaving Dickson out of the 22 because of selection.

Dickson is available. He’s an emergency.

Unfortunately I agree with him, Dickson should be playing.

ledge
06-09-2019, 03:52 PM
I Had no idea he was on our selection committee.

Remi Moses
06-09-2019, 04:41 PM
Chin up Grub

bornadog
06-09-2019, 04:47 PM
Dickson is available. He’s an emergency.

Unfortunately I agree with him, Dickson should be playing.

I think he is not 100%

azabob
06-09-2019, 05:01 PM
I think he is not 100%

I think you are right based on the written commentary from Bevo’s press conference. But who really knows.

Grantysghost
06-09-2019, 05:04 PM
I think you are right based on the written commentary from Bevo’s press conference. But who really knows.

Sounded like it was a borderline decision and they went for the safer option. (re his injury)

1eyedog
06-09-2019, 05:11 PM
This bottom feeder gets way too much air time on here.

Rocket Science
06-09-2019, 05:12 PM
Essington took underdone players into last night's game and that went beautifully.

I'm glad we're not.

AshMac
06-09-2019, 06:26 PM
Essington took underdone players into last night's game and that went beautifully.

I'm glad we're not.

Amen

Axe Man
06-09-2019, 06:29 PM

I'm glad we're not.

It worked out ok for us this time 3 years ago...

Testekill
06-09-2019, 09:17 PM
I think he is not 100%

Yeah, Dicko struggles when he's underdone.

ledge
18-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Have to acknowledge the good with the bad .
Damo has given Sam Power a great review after the trade period.
Writes he targeted and got his players.

Sedat
18-10-2019, 02:24 PM
It must be Halleys Comet time because Black Soul also nailed the Essendon situation in his weekly column today. Only the most strident Kool Aiders from Tullamarine could call it a 'win' to have 2 players from your leadership group at the same time wanting out of the club but (very) reluctantly staying. As for Cutler and Phillips, that is barely break even for their VFL team.

hujsh
18-10-2019, 02:39 PM
It must be Halleys Comet time because Black Soul also nailed the Essendon situation in his weekly column today. Only the most strident Kool Aiders from Tullamarine could call it a 'win' to have 2 players from your leadership group at the same time wanting out of the club but (very) reluctantly staying. As for Cutler and Phillips, that is barely break even for their VFL team.
I'd be interested in reading if anyone has a link or the article itself

bornadog
18-10-2019, 04:35 PM
I'd be interested in reading if anyone has a link or the article itself

It is in his sliding doors article:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-18/sliding-doors-posttrade-period

ratsmac
18-10-2019, 08:15 PM
Have to acknowledge the good with the bad .
Damo has given Sam Power a great review after the trade period.
Writes he targeted and got his players.

Who?

We only know him as black soul around these parts

dukedog
18-10-2019, 09:32 PM
Who?

We only know him as black soul around these parts

Hahahahaha. It's TRUE. He only goes by derogatory names or stays nameless here.

ledge
19-10-2019, 01:31 AM
Hey he is showing love .. Damo the bulldog.

The Pedge
22-10-2019, 01:28 AM
I had lunch with a mate in Sydney earlier this year - he works in AFL media. We were drinking Grenache and it was going down a treat. He then proceeded to tell me that Damien Barrett put him onto it as he rated it highly. I told him that I hated Barrett and thought was was a flog. He advised that he’s actually one of the nicest guys in media and obviously knows a good wine. I’ve never been able to hate him as much. That wine was delicious. I hope I haven’t spoilt Grenache for you all.

Twodogs
22-10-2019, 07:15 AM
I had lunch with a mate in Sydney earlier this year - he works in AFL media. We were drinking Grenache and it was going down a treat. He then proceeded to tell me that Damien Barrett put him onto it as he rated it highly. I told him that I hated Barrett and thought was was a flog. He advised that he’s actually one of the nicest guys in media and obviously knows a good wine. I’ve never been able to hate him as much. That wine was delicious. I hope I haven’t spoilt Grenache for you all.

I'm glad that I don't drink!

Bulldog Joe
22-10-2019, 07:39 AM

Highlights that everybody has at least 1 endearing quality.

azabob
22-10-2019, 07:44 AM
You can be a nice guy but still hold a grudge and let that influence your opinions, views and stories.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-10-2019, 10:23 PM
You obviously didn't take the pledge and may not be catholic Irish. Yeh I can cope with Barrett being a nice bloke face to face but a flog in his job.

bulldogtragic
31-10-2019, 10:18 PM
As a rule I don't read his stuff, but there's always an exception to the rule as he's got a lengthy in depth piece on the Daniher/Sydney/Essendon saga.

But my take away was a side note, BlackSoul says bluntly and clearly that there are now multiple clubs that refuse to deal with Dodoro, thus they won't deal with Essendon.

From a strategic perspective, how does the Essendon board think the best way of acquiring talent by trade is to have a knob that multiple clubs won't trade/deal with?

divvydan
31-10-2019, 10:23 PM
As a rule I don't read his stuff, but there's always an exception to the rule as he's got a lengthy in depth piece on the Daniher/Sydney/Essendon saga.

But my take away was a side note, BlackSoul says bluntly and clearly that there are now multiple clubs that refuse to deal with Dodoro, thus they won't deal with Essendon.

From a strategic perspective, how does the Essendon board think the best way of acquiring talent by trade is to have a knob that multiple clubs won't trade/deal with?

Read that article too and it was quite interesting. The other thing that leapt out to me from it was that it was all Daniher's idea, which made me wonder why Barrett had been so pointedly scathing of Tom Harley during the trade period for "luring Daniher for months" and then not getting the deal done.

bulldogtragic
31-10-2019, 10:47 PM
Read that article too and it was quite interesting. The other thing that leapt out to me from it was that it was all Daniher's idea, which made me wonder why Barrett had been so pointedly scathing of Tom Harley during the trade period for "luring Daniher for months" and then not getting the deal done.

Good pick up, I wonder what changed Barrett’s mind/opinion and when?

A top 10 pick this year and possibly next... if it doesn’t get the job done (I’d do it), it should be so incredibly close to get a deal done.

If Daniher thinks Dodoro is ruining his life, he ain’t seen nothing yet. He’s an advertisement to not going to Essendon and having your future placed under his arrogance & incompetence.

mjp
31-10-2019, 10:56 PM
If Daniher thinks Dodoro is ruining his life, he ain’t seen nothing yet. He’s an advertisement to not going to Essendon and having your future placed under his arrogance & incompetence.

I read this stuff (about Adrian) every year.

I really like him. Since no-one else seems to have a nice word to say, maybe it's me that has it wrong or maybe it's just me. I know he has a reputation of being hard to deal with, but for all of that Essendon do seem to be involved in a LOT of trades...

bulldogtragic
31-10-2019, 11:03 PM

I really like him. Since no-one else seems to have a nice word to say, maybe it's me that has it wrong or maybe it's just me. I know he has a reputation of being hard to deal with, but for all of that Essendon do seem to be involved in a LOT of trades...

I guess the difference here was the reference that Barrett made bluntly saying there’s now multiple clubs who won’t deal with him/them. If true, that becomes problematic.

GVGjr
31-10-2019, 11:06 PM

I've said this a few times here, clubs should refuse to deal with him and be clear on the reasons why and Essendon will need to take action. Most clubs can't just keep improving just via the draft because they also need to bring is players via trades. If that avenue is closed the club will need to look long and hard at their approach

Player managers trying to get players either too or from Essendon will pressure Essendon to make changes because of the impasse

Hotdog60
01-11-2019, 12:03 AM
The trouble with dodo is he wastes everybody's time playing hardball that it effects other trades.

jeemak
01-11-2019, 12:43 AM
The trouble with dodo is he wastes everybody's time playing hardball that it effects other trades.

This is absolutely correct, and would be acknowledged fairly widely you'd think.

I said this in one of the trade threads, and I'll say it again, clubs benefit if everyone is being reasonable and if a few more clubs stop being reasonable and behaving like EFC do, then the system will start to fail.

comrade
01-11-2019, 08:07 AM

I actually didn't mind him playing hardball with Daniher. He's contracted, and one of the few weapons a club has with player movements is holding a player to a contract.

Even better, having a disgruntled player of Daniher's ilk might help destabilise Essendon in 2020 and blow up in their face.

westdog54
01-11-2019, 09:09 AM

There was still an onus on Harley to make a deal happen as far as I'm concerned. That was Purple's main criticism.

divvydan
01-11-2019, 09:58 AM
There was still an onus on Harley to make a deal happen as far as I'm concerned. That was Purple's main criticism.

Yes but it's clear Barrett had no understanding of the situation or the negotiations taking place. Several times he slated Harley for not offering 5&9 when Essendon had already made it clear that they wouldn't accept that, despite it being considered overs by pretty much everyone. Additionally, the players Essendon reportedly wanted from Sydney, Heeney and Blakey, are both academy players, so they've been entrenched within the club system for a long time and had no intention of moving to Essendon.

Scraggers
29-05-2020, 12:06 PM
I can't stand Barrett's If ... Then ... column on the AFL website normally, but I agree with this one this week.

IF ...

you actually take a deep breath and think about it ...

THEN ...

the next statue they build somewhere near EJ's in the Whitten Oval precinct could be Peter Gordon's. Saved the club 31 years ago, got it out of a massive mess five years ago, now positioning it to be bullet-proof from all attack, even COVID-19.

LINK (https://www.afl.com.au/news/440270/sliding-doors-if-jack-checks-himself-into-hospital-at-1am-on-a-sunday-then)

The Doctor
29-05-2020, 01:15 PM
I agree with Barrett

A statue of PG would be well deserved. What he has done for our club is incredible.

Twodogs
29-05-2020, 01:33 PM
I can't stand Barrett's If ... Then ... column on the AFL website normally, but I agree with this one this week.

IF ...

you actually take a deep breath and think about it ...

THEN ...

the next statue they build somewhere near EJ's in the Whitten Oval precinct could be Peter Gordon's. Saved the club 31 years ago, got it out of a massive mess five years ago, now positioning it to be bullet-proof from all attack, even COVID-19.

LINK (https://www.afl.com.au/news/440270/sliding-doors-if-jack-checks-himself-into-hospital-at-1am-on-a-sunday-then)

That's a bloody good idea. Well played to Spotty.

Axe Man
24-07-2020, 11:05 AM
Feels wrong but I agree with Barrett here, I have always thought Bont's Grand Final was criminally underrated and it was a flip of the coin between him and Boyd for the Norm Smith (apologies to JJ). Although I have to say I didn't love his game last night, tries his heart out but too many errors for someone as good as he is.

IF ...
every single 2020 season A-grader was lined up on the old schoolyard wall and I had one pick ...

THEN ...
I’m taking Bont. Just impacts every game he plays, and actually saved Thursday’s against the Suns with a telling reading of the play in the final minute. Still reckon he should have the 2016 Norm Smith Medal on his CV. Go back and watch it. Fourteen kicks, 100 per cent efficiency, a couple which were mind-boggling. Eleven contested possessions, seven tackles and just to prove versatility as a then-20-year-old, nine hitouts as the then-allowed third man-up. Already an all-time great, and still getting better.

Doc26
24-07-2020, 03:42 PM
Marcus’s work rate is quite phenomenal particularly given the amount of physical attention he’s getting from the opposition.
Unfortunately the mix of the two is no doubt effecting his disposal efficiency.

I love that he’s now being talked up for All-Australian Captain because we all know that it only takes one or two comments to create an all in AFL media bandwagon to make these things come true.

Mofra
24-07-2020, 04:06 PM
I love that he’s now being talked up for All-Australian Captain because we all know that it only takes one or two comments to create an all in AFL media bandwagon to make these things come true.
I don't know what you're talking about Doc, Buddy's been a great free agent for the Giants...

mjp
24-07-2020, 06:17 PM
Marcus’s work rate is quite phenomenal particularly given the amount of physical attention he’s getting from the opposition.

Can anyone tell me why he was off the ground for so long during q4 last night?

bornadog
24-07-2020, 06:26 PM

Looked like they were working on his hip

azabob
24-07-2020, 06:32 PM

I think BAD may have answered it but lets pretend he wasn't injured.

Often you will see player X waiting to come one for a period of time 2-3-4 minutes in the dying stages all because the ball is on the wrong side of the ground.

With today's footy being so structured and team defense is it too big of a risk for one player to drop off and get off the ground so the teams best player can get on?

Last night I thought Bont was waiting far too long to come back on in the last quarter.

bornadog
24-07-2020, 06:38 PM

Often you will see player X waiting to come one for a period of time 2-3-4 minutes in the dying stages all because the ball is on the wrong side of the ground.

With today's footy being so structured and team defense is it too big of a risk for one player to drop off and get off the ground so the teams best player can get on?

Last night I thought Bont was waiting far too long to come back on in the last quarter.

Another stupid decision by the AFL not allowing runners on unless a goal is kicked.

mjp
24-07-2020, 07:37 PM

It doesn't have to be a one-for-one change. Just get the closest bloke off, get him on and work it out from there. Seriously - are interchanges really that hard? The ball was pinging everywhere last night - both sides of the ground...I think he was off for 10 minutes.

azabob
24-07-2020, 07:43 PM
It doesn't have to be a one-for-one change. Just get the closest bloke off, get him on and work it out from there. Seriously - are interchanges really that hard? The ball was pinging everywhere last night - both sides of the ground...I think he was off for 10 minutes.

I agree 100%. I guess it's a case of risk V reward and coaches by nature try to reduce risk where ever possible?

Charlie Dixon was in the same boat last week against the blues.

bornadog
25-07-2020, 12:27 AM

It's actually pretty bad sometimes. Last year when I went to the Lions game at Ballarat my reserved seat was on the fence next to the Lions interchange. It was fascinating watching the players come on and off. Sometimes when the players were all on the other side of the ground, there were blokes standing there for 10 minutes trying to get on. There was no way to get their attention without a runner.

Axe Man
16-10-2020, 05:01 PM
Old Damo just loves us these days...

IF ...
the music may have been a tad too loud at the Royal Pines at the end-of-season party ...

THEN ...
so be it. And not sure it was anyway. As in, I was two floors down and didn't hear a thing! Could not talk more highly of how this club carried itself in hub life in the past two months.

EasternWest
16-10-2020, 05:06 PM

Looks like Beveridge's bathroom chat was a little more influential this time.

Bulldog Revolution
16-10-2020, 05:26 PM
Looks like Beveridge's bathroom chat was a little more influential this time.

To damos credit he is pretty fearless

He certainly wouldnt say it if he didnt believe it

EasternWest
16-10-2020, 05:30 PM

Wash your mouth out.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-10-2020, 05:45 PM

His tone with us has done a 180 this season. Did he and Bevo have a reconcilliation?

azabob
16-10-2020, 06:11 PM
His tone with us has done a 180 this season. Did he and Bevo have a reconcilliation?

Nope. Not at all.

Twodogs
16-10-2020, 06:18 PM
I've always said that Damo was a top bloke.

Bulldog4life
16-10-2020, 06:46 PM
Nope. Not at all.

Maybe they bumped into themselves in the HUB and had a kiss and cuddle.

Hotdog60
16-10-2020, 08:06 PM
His just sucking up because he's missing out. He goes looking for a story and get a cold shoulder.

ledge
17-10-2020, 12:11 PM
His just sucking up because he's missing out. He goes looking for a story and get a cold shoulder.

From more than one club !
Problem is he heads the AFL media so i imagine clubs would have to communicate with him now.

mjp
18-10-2020, 01:07 PM
Just on the Higgins video...he wasn’t preparing for a prelim. Well, he was - in the same way I was. Preparing snacks to consume whilst the game was played.

Topdog
19-10-2020, 10:46 AM

He certainly wouldnt say it if he didnt believe it

Yeah i dont like the guy at all but he always says what he thinks.

Twodogs
19-10-2020, 12:41 PM

With your coaching experience, you would know better than most Mike. Is it because players don't want to come off so they "just happen" to looking anywhere but toward the bench while everyone on the bench are all waving their arms madly trying to get the player's attention?

Much the same way that we used to run in the opposite direction of the runner when we knew that the coach had sent him out to drag you for making an error or breaking a team rule? In the case of swapping off surely teammates notice the bench waving and point it out to the player concerned?

angelopetraglia
31-07-2022, 01:51 PM
Ha

"Do you reckon there'd be a time where Bevo would welcome Damo back into the club, maybe for an interview or anything like that?"

Elite honesty from Ed Richards

https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1553566049638965248?s=20&t=pFlVxVVhlrUcvNLhaml4gw

EasternWest
31-07-2022, 01:55 PM
Ha

"Do you reckon there'd be a time where Bevo would welcome Damo back into the club, maybe for an interview or anything like that?"

https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1553566049638965248?s=20&t=pFlVxVVhlrUcvNLhaml4gw

Ha ha that's brilliant.

You can tell by how quickly Ed responds that Whitten Oval is a danger zone for Barrett. Good.

Now let's hear what Sedat thinks.

bornadog
31-07-2022, 04:06 PM
Ha

Good on you Ed he is a turd

bornadog
01-03-2024, 10:25 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GHiTpPxbQAAwIiU?format=jpg&name=900x900

Countrydog5
01-03-2024, 10:48 AM
Fascinating reading through this thread in its early days. For some reason I thought he only disliked us due to Bevo alpha dogging him at the brownlow those years ago, but he's been hating on us since the McCartney era and before!

No time at all for this bloke. The amount of negativity he spreads under the guise of journalism is appalling, and would have certainly affected a number of players negatively. In an era where mental health is finally being taken seriously, he is the number 1 toolbag when it comes to stirring up rubbish stories, and then walking them back once people rightly call him out on it.

If anyone lives in the city and ever bumps into him, please tell him countrydog thinks he's a ***t of the highest order.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-03-2024, 11:24 AM

Oh god reading this garbage makes me think I'm not ready for footy season to be back....

jazzadogs
01-03-2024, 11:42 AM
Fascinating reading through this thread in its early days. For some reason I thought he only disliked us due to Bevo alpha dogging him at the brownlow those years ago, but he's been hating on us since the McCartney era and before!

No time at all for this bloke. The amount of negativity he spreads under the guise of journalism is appalling, and would have certainly affected a number of players negatively. In an era where mental health is finally being taken seriously, he is the number 1 toolbag when it comes to stirring up rubbish stories, and then walking them back once people rightly call him out on it.

If anyone lives in the city and ever bumps into him, please tell him countrydog thinks he's a ***t of the highest order.

I don't think he's even #1 anymore. McClure, Morris and even Kornes are more likely to throw out some harmful clickbait.

ledge
01-03-2024, 11:50 AM
I don't think he's even #1 anymore. McClure, Morris and even Kornes are more likely to throw out some harmful clickbait.

The posts I’ve seen McClure put up recently are hilarious, Carlton to win flag but Port Adelaide to play Collingwood in the grand final.
I want to know how that works?
Cornes isn’t out to hurt anyone he just makes extraordinary statements to get clicks .

Morris is Barrett’s love child, burnt more bridges than WW2

MrMahatma
01-03-2024, 12:39 PM

There's a difference between "getting on well" and being able to work together for a common goal and do so in a way that gets the best of both. You don't need to be in each other's wedding party to get great results.

Parret is a clown.

Mitcha
01-03-2024, 01:06 PM
For his first effort for the season he managed to keep it positive for all clubs with one glaring exception, us. Somehow thought Essendopes recruiting of a 74 year old Todd Goldstein was a masterful piece of list management and did his best to get his mate Mr. Personality Llordo a little side gig. Poor excuse for a credible journalist old Purple.

Glove38
01-03-2024, 02:04 PM
I actually don't mind his (& Cornes') constant negativity against the club.
1. Everyone know's their agenda, so it doesn't really have any traction among the general public
2. I think it still has a galvanizing impact internally.
3. It's led to much needed reflection and change

josie
01-03-2024, 03:16 PM
I actually don't mind his (& Cornes') constant negativity against the club.
1. Everyone know's their agenda, so it doesn't really have any traction among the general public
2. I think it still has a galvanizing impact internally.
3. It's led to much needed reflection and change

Tend to agree. Haters gonna hate. Let?s rub it in their grubby noses when we win 🏆 and smile while we?re at it.

ledge
01-03-2024, 04:11 PM
There's a difference between "getting on well" and being able to work together for a common goal and do so in a way that gets the best of both. You don't need to be in each other's wedding party to get great results.

Parret is a clown.

Hawks midfield in the 80s says hello, from what I heard most of them didn’t even talk to each other.

josie
01-03-2024, 04:41 PM
Ha

Love it. Onya Ed. Becoming one of my faves and this cements it.

bornadog
22-03-2024, 06:07 PM
Everyone thinks they are a selector and an expert without knowing the inside discussions

IF ...Bevo has been many things in his nine years as an AFL coach ...

THEN ...
the stubbornness characteristic has been prominent throughout. He takes advice from no one. And the more that expert commentators tell him to play Aaron Naughton as a key defender, and to recall Jack Macrae from the reserves, the more staunch he is in keeping them where they are.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-03-2024, 06:13 PM
He's kinda not wrong though.

Rocket Science
22-03-2024, 06:16 PM
If I was a senior coach with premiership credentials I would simply take advice from expert commentators.

bornadog
22-03-2024, 06:17 PM
If I was a senior coach with premiership credentials I would simply take advice from expert commentators.

https://i.gifer.com/origin/5c/5c404a6d396004b097e71776b92fc920_w200.gif

ledge
22-03-2024, 07:24 PM
Haha I laughed “ expert commentators “ they certainly aren’t struggling with ego.

Uninformed
22-03-2024, 07:32 PM
He takes advice from no one.

As if he would know who Bevo takes advice from. Absolutely certain he takes advice from his assistant coaches, from Egan and from senior players. His personality is very collaborative.

Uninformed
22-03-2024, 07:36 PM
And the more that expert commentators tell him to play Aaron Naughton as a key defender, and to recall Jack Macrae from the reserves, the more staunch he is in keeping them where they are.

Why any rational sane person would take advice from click hunting journos is beyond me. The only circumstances you might take advice from anyone outside the club would be from a respected and trusted mentor. Nothing in the public sphere qualifies as that sort of advice.

hujsh
22-03-2024, 07:58 PM
"Luke Beveridge is a maverick. He answers to no one and respects no authority. You think you can tell him what to do? Take your stinking badge then. He doesn't need it. He'll find his own gun and get things done his way. You think you can stop him. Just try." - Damien Barrett probably

mjp
22-03-2024, 08:42 PM
"Luke Beveridge is a maverick. He answers to no one and respects no authority. You think you can tell him what to do? Take your stinking badge then. He doesn't need it. He'll find his own gun and get things done his way. You think you can stop him. Just try." - Damien Barrett probably

I do remember Michael Warner talking about various people involved at AFL Clubs and saying that there were a number - he used Bevo as an example - who hadn't been "house trained" and wouldn't toe the party line of the media or AFL House.

I think in many regards it's a good thing...at the same time if you are dismissing "out of hand" comments about anything you are in charge of simply because you don't like what they are saying, well...I think that's bad. And if multiple voices are saying the same thing, well, again...maybe seek out a couple of those who you don't believe are complete dicks and try and understand their perspective.

hujsh
22-03-2024, 09:05 PM
I do remember Michael Warner talking about various people involved at AFL Clubs and saying that there were a number - he used Bevo as an example - who hadn't been "house trained" and wouldn't toe the party line of the media or AFL House.

I think in many regards it's a good thing...at the same time if you are dismissing "out of hand" comments about anything you are in charge of simply because you don't like what they are saying, well...I think that's bad. And if multiple voices are saying the same thing, well, again...maybe seek out a couple of those who you don't believe are complete dicks and try and understand their perspective.

Yeah maybe I guess I can't really say I have an opinion on the matter. I just find it funny Barrett's attempt to disparage Bevo made him seem cooler than he probably actually is.

Rocket Science
22-03-2024, 10:10 PM
Bevo at last year's AFLCA Awards Night ...

https://i.ibb.co/KVG2YrH/bad-boy-george-v0-zeb7vb1ynru91.jpg (https://ibb.co/TPT4Zg5)

Grantysghost
22-03-2024, 10:16 PM
Bevo at last year's AFLCA Awards Night ...

https://i.ibb.co/KVG2YrH/bad-boy-george-v0-zeb7vb1ynru91.jpg (https://ibb.co/TPT4Zg5)

Adam Simpson : Hey Bevo what are you up to?

Bevo : You don't wanna knowwwwww....

Uninformed
22-03-2024, 10:25 PM

If what Warner said is true, then kudos to Bevo.

Who, with any actual knowledge of the matter, said that Bevo rejects things out of hand? He is quite a humble person, definitely not egoistically attached to his own views. I am sure he considers every angle, and a variety of opinions, of the situation and consults with those around him before arriving at a decision.

When an ego maniac observes someone making a decision they naturally assume that the person making the decision does it the same as them, in a close minded, authoritarian and bigoted way. They can't believe that someone could arrive at a view different to their own by any rational or considered means. In the view of the ego maniac journo someone disagreeing with their assessment must be simply stupid and stubborn.

Bevo is a good communicator, very collaborative and not an ego maniac. He has the most comprehensive first hand knowledge of the team, his players and coaches. Far more so than any media figure. He is the best person to lead the team and make the final decisions. That's why we pay him the big bucks!

Of the jounos criticising Bevo, which are the ones you consider not to be complete dicks?

jeemak
22-03-2024, 10:56 PM
This is getting as absurd as the where's Kate kerfuffle.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-03-2024, 11:36 PM
If what Warner said is true, then kudos to Bevo.

Who, with any actual knowledge of the matter, said that Bevo rejects things out of hand? He is quite a humble person, definitely not egoistically attached to his own views. I am sure he considers every angle, and a variety of opinions, of the situation and consults with those around him before arriving at a decision.

When an ego maniac observes someone making a decision they naturally assume that the person making the decision does it the same as them, in a close minded, authoritarian and bigoted way. They can't believe that someone could arrive at a view different to their own by any rational or considered means. In the view of the ego maniac journo someone disagreeing with their assessment must be simply stupid and stubborn.

Bevo is a good communicator, very collaborative and not an ego maniac. He has the most comprehensive first hand knowledge of the team, his players and coaches. Far more so than any media figure. He is the best person to lead the team and make the final decisions. That's why we pay him the big bucks!

Of the jounos criticising Bevo, which are the ones you consider not to be complete dicks?

Yeah I have some good direct sources of people who Luke worked for and some he worked with. You've described many of the postiive traits I've heard attributed to him.

When people in the media or fans try and tar him with ego driven or not keen on taking on board challenging views or feedback from his team, it just doesn't dovetail with first hand experiences of those in his circle at work that I have heard.

I have heard that if he believes in something or his team do, he will back them to the hilt, and this can lead to some professional friction from time to time with decision makers above him. But all in all that too is, or can sometimes be a positive trait.

One piece of commentary I just refuse to engage with is the thoroughness or coherently thought out rationale for the way we try and play and the team we put on the park. I know he and the team exemplify best practices in how they go about their business.

This is of course not to say they make the right decision...all I mean is that the fact the we don't know why a player is or isn't playing, or why we set up a certain way, or what is being done to address certain aspects...isn't the same as meaning it's because there isn't a cogent reason why.

When people talk about selection madness, that's fine, but I'm not going to debate the merits of it, because its based on a nonstarter of a premise, that is, the selection committee is madness! It's just patently not.
We don't undertstand it, and it may not be correct, but it's not borne out of naivety or ignorance...or madness. I don't think they're sniffing boppers and throwing darts at names on a board :D

I know from the pre-season video snippet the club released that players have access to a Bulldogs dictionary and app with all manner of videos and tutorials and descriptions of game plan philosophy, terms, meanings, role plays, scenarios, glossary of Bulldog terms etc... that they are expected to breathe in.

So, the need for any head coach change won't be borne out of any madness or lack of professionalism in approach or game plan. It may just be his time has come and his philosophy no longer works and he's unable to maneuver the right levers to get the best out of this group any more.

Bevo and crew will have to be accountable for whether or not their philosophy is viable. I strongly suspect this year is the year it culminates either way.
This is the year the team need to show Bevo's way is the best approach forward, over the next 22 remaining matches and hopefully beyond.
If we don't win at least a finals game, and have a strong home and away season, I am almost certain change will come at the end of the year, and earlier if it's obvious we are going to fall short of those expectations.

bornadog
23-03-2024, 12:22 AM
great post YHF

Rocket Science
23-03-2024, 02:39 PM
Fixed.

Adam Simpson : Hey Bevo what are you up to?

Bevo : Feelin cute. Might drop Macrae and give Harmes a few CBAs. Whatcha gonna do about it?

jeemak
24-03-2024, 02:04 AM
I've been thinking about the ridiculousness of this entire situation due to the realisation journalists and media personalities who are ex-players or otherwise, have actually created an environment for themselves where they think they're relevant and are stars.

What triggered it was today seeing on Fox/ Kayo promotional videos for their Tuesday and Wednesday night show where their "star journalists" break down the week just gone and the week ahead.

Having just come out of consulting with a reputable organisation (depends who you ask I guess) within the field after five years, and gone into industry/ client side I couldn't believe how out of touch I'd become during that period. And I was supposed to be an industry expert - and for all intents and purposes that's what the industry landscape painted me to be.

The repeat business rolled in, after all we did a good job. The reason it did was because expertise on the client side was lacking, or the expertise didn't have bandwidth (not an issue within the AFL post COVID rebalance). But the big ideas didn't land that often, and mostly I couldn't believe what was obvious to me wasn't obvious to my clients.

But then I got a dose of reality. I went client side and actually lived the environment I was consulting to, one that one way or another I had been out of for a number of years. It was humbling, I'm having to re-jig the way I think about things, how I deal with people, how I break down problems and how I execute stuff (I did mean stuff, not staff).

The point of this is the ex-players who are the apparent experts, if they've been away from the industry coal face for a couple of years, are just like good consultants. They're smart enough, but things have moved by them, so they don't go into organisations and attempt to slam them with big ideas without knowing what it takes to plan and execute them. The career journalists who go straight to TV, are like the career consultants with no relevant industry experience (ex-grads). They trade in the churn of ideas in case one sticks, and if one does they can dine out on the win for months.

Our media landscape is filling up with both types of the above, without any accountability for what it takes to actually understand an evolving industry. The likes of David King apparently has cred because he goes to a couple of training nights and a practice match here and there. And that's actually good by today's standards, but what the actual **** does he really know? To get a good feel for a specific function within an organisation usually takes a month of day to day in depth contact, if you're serious.

As for the Tom Morris or Barrett types, they have no contact and they should be treated with the contempt our club is currently treating them with.

I don't have an issue with the sheer amount of media people covering the AFL. Pluralism is a good thing. What I have an issue with is the promotion of charlatans parading themselves as experts and the air time given to them. They are the worst.

Being an industry expert and consulting is really difficult, and if you get it wrong you're usually on the chopping block either through being fired or not winning work. These rent seekers get to **** things up all the time without any accountability at all. How so many people get riled up over what they say is beyond me.

The AFL needs to be accountable for the misery these pricks cause people. I'm seeing way too many usually sane people losing their minds over the stuff that's pumped out in the media. Behind gambling I would suggest the biggest harm caused by the AFL to its consumers is the media landscape it promotes.

Happy Days
24-03-2024, 02:49 AM
Not reading that essay

jeemak
24-03-2024, 02:53 AM
Not reading that essay

You are a hard working lawyer and I don't blame you. I just want you to keep doing god's work.

Happy Days
24-03-2024, 03:00 AM
You’re completely right about the people in the AFL media. They’re there to not be too obtrusive while also being content mines so it’s a function that could be served by anyone who’s willing to be enough of a prick. It’s not a real job and should not be treated as one. Unlike my job which I’m sure the whole world would fall down around if it stopped existing.

jeemak
24-03-2024, 03:03 AM
You’re completely right about the people in the AFL media. They’re there to not be too obtrusive while also being content mines so it’s a function that could be served by anyone who’s willing to be enough of a prick. It’s not a real job and should not be treated as one. Unlike my job which I’m sure the whole world would fall down around if it stopped existing.

I feel it's gone up a notch, and I also feel it's because they know people are vulnerable or susceptible to the shit they peddle, mainly because it's like Mad Max out there in the suburbs/ real life (cost of living, wars, whatever). People are already miserable, and misery breeds more misery.

These arseholes are cashing in.

Uninformed
24-03-2024, 04:01 AM
Having just come out of consulting with a reputable organisation (depends who you ask I guess) within the field after five years, and gone into industry/ client side I couldn't believe how out of touch I'd become during that period. And I was supposed to be an industry expert - and for all intents and purposes that's what the industry landscape painted me to be.

Some great points that you make. But on this one issue I have seen so many examples of large corporations calling in the 'leading' management consultants of the time to review everything. Time and again the only useful recommendations they come up with are from their discussions with the people at the coalface - those actually getting it done. They always know how to make it better, but no one listens to them.

The IT consultant version is 'you are too centralised, you need to de-centralise.' Next lot in, 'you are too distributed, you need to consolidate.) And so it goes on forever because no one listens to the ones at the coal face. Everyone prefers a theory, a good narrative over realism.

When you abstract to theories and memories you lose the reality of what is happening now. Journalists and ex-players are stuck in the abstract and the past. They have no idea what is going on at the coalface with the coaches and players. A lot of what they get is from player managers who are also one step removed.

The only thing you can be certain of is that if you read it or hear of it in the media it will certainly be a misrepresentation, at least to a degree.

jeemak
24-03-2024, 04:27 AM
That's kind of my point. Whoever is on the outside is useful if they're there to dig into what's happening, talk to people and help get to the truth, but in order to do that they have to spend a LOT of time at it. Or they could just be humble and give high level insights.

Media observers looking at a game here or there, watching a training session here or there as experts or journos, don't have the depth of understanding to really pick things apart because they haven't put in the work, but pretend they do. And the syndicated platforms across all media gives them a license.

MrMahatma
24-03-2024, 09:10 AM
Saw that promo for their “expert journos” and thought the same thing. Who the fk are they to be ripping into players and coaches as if their opinion is more valid than a random down the pub.

jeemak
24-03-2024, 09:14 AM
Saw that promo for their “expert journos” and thought the same thing. Who the fk are they to be ripping into players and coaches as if their opinion is more valid than a random down the pub.

It's not bad enough that they think they're smarter than a person at the pub, they parade themselves as on a level with people who live the industry at the coal face day by day.

angelopetraglia
24-03-2024, 09:27 AM
It's not bad enough that they think they're smarter than a person at the pub, they parade themselves as on a level with people who live the industry at the coal face day by day.

Charlatans.

The analogy with consultants is close. But foot journos are a few runs below below in my opinion and I'm a cynic of almost all consultants. "A consultant is someone who borrows your watch to tell you the time." When most companies turn to consultants, especially for something like strategy, then you know immediately that the senior team don't know what they are doing. That it happens everywhere across big business is scary, but not suprising. So many charlatans in big business acrosss Australia. Not so much in medium and small businesses, because in those environments you actually need to do things. In big businesses with large competitive moats, most school children would get a similar result. Most of the senior team don't know what is really happening across the coalface of the business and spend their time doing presentations to each other or playing politics to survive in their high paying roles.

Topdog
24-03-2024, 09:40 AM
The IT consultant version is 'you are too centralised, you need to de-centralise.' Next lot in, 'you are too distributed, you need to consolidate.) And so it goes on forever because no one listens to the ones at the coal face. Everyone prefers a theory, a good narrative over realism.

haha those at the coal face even know what the IT consultants will say the minute they are hired. "You need to automate more" "You need to centralise/de-centralise"

bornadog
24-03-2024, 10:18 AM
Completely wrong about all consultants. Consultants bring their own expertise into an organisation, usually expertise that is either not available internally or as a independent for a review of operations and many other reasons.

The club brought in a consultant, and the restructure happened.

I run a consultancy that operates in the cost reduction area and usually organisations that need my expertise are those that don't have the internal skills or, they don't have the time to complete a review.

As for so called media experts, as has been mentioned already, they don't know the inner workings of a club, the game plan, the players situation eg injury or not, and seem to all just spout the same thing. Yesterday I was flipping the stations in the car and heard Malthouse carrying on about Naughton to the backline. The other commentator said, is it because Bevo is stubborn? Malthouse backed in Bevo and mentioned various things on why he hasn't moved Naughton.

To me, it is pathetic the way the media carryon when a team is losing - very tiresome.

jeemak
24-03-2024, 10:20 AM
You talking to me Willis?

bornadog
24-03-2024, 10:22 AM
You talking to me Willis?

In general

Grantysghost
24-03-2024, 10:22 AM
Consultants are good if the project engaging them defines a clear scope for their use and doesn't creep outside of that.

If you think poor planning and management is a contractor / consultant issue you're doing it wrong.

Grantysghost
24-03-2024, 10:23 AM
And to stay on thread.

AFL media is for teenagers.

hujsh
24-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Felling pretty attacked here as someone that's spent their entire adult workforce career as a 'consultant'

Can't say I've ever really suggested a solution to anything though. Normally I just make stuff they want or do a job they don't know how to do.

angelopetraglia
24-03-2024, 10:28 AM
Completely wrong about all consultants. Consultants bring their own expertise into an organisation, usually expertise that is either not available internally or as a independent for a review of operations and many other reasons.

I run a consultancy that operates in the cost reduction area and usually organisations that need my expertise are those that don't have the internal skills or, they don't have the time to complete a review.

As for so called media experts, as has been mentioned already, they don't know the inner workings of a club, the game plan, the players situation eg injury or not, and seem to all just spout the same thing. Yesterday I was flipping the stations in the car and heard Malthouse carrying on about Naughton to the backline. The other commentator said, is it because Bevo is stubborn? Malthouse backed in Bevo and mentioned various things on why he hasn't moved Naughton.

To me, it is pathetic the way the media carryon when a team is losing - very tiresome.

No offence. But of course you are going to say that. You view is going to be biased one way, as is mine.

On the club restructure due to the feedback from a consultant. We don't know whether that is a good advice yet. There is also lots of senior people in that club who should have their finger on the pulse. Why did they need a 70 year old Peter Jackson to make structural changes? Either they are not very good at what they do or politically they wanted someone else to do it as either they were to weak to do it themselves or or wanted the cover of an "expert". It wasn't exactly rocket science what he reccomended.

jeemak
24-03-2024, 10:29 AM
Consultants are fine if you don't choose generalists to do a specialist's job.

I wasn't pissing on consultants with my post by the way, in fact, the opposite. I had a negative view of consultants until I became one, and then I just refined my view to generalists who have no expertise outside of being consultants. It took fifteen years on supply side before I could even think about getting a senior con role at the firm I joined.

azabob
24-03-2024, 10:34 AM
So are we shitcanning consultants, afl media or the general punter?

jeemak
24-03-2024, 10:35 AM
So are we shitcanning consultants, afl media or the general punter?

I think it's Choose Your Own Adventure at this point Az.

Topdog
24-03-2024, 10:37 AM
#NotAllConsultants

jeemak
24-03-2024, 10:37 AM
No offence. But of course you are going to say that. You view is going to be biased one way, as is mine.

On the club restructure due to the feedback from a consultant. We don't know whether that is a good advice yet. There is also lots of senior people in that club who should have their finger on the pulse. Why did they need a 70 year old Peter Jackson to make structural changes? Either they are not very good at what they do or politically they wanted someone else to do it as either they were to weak to do it themselves or or wanted the cover of an "expert". It wasn't exactly rocket science what he reccomended.

This is embarrassing.

If you read the fine print of his report it actually had a section on how to leverage rocket science to stop our forwards running into each other in lieu of poor coaching/ leadership.

jeemak
24-03-2024, 10:39 AM
#NotAllConsultants

Clubhouse leader.

angelopetraglia
24-03-2024, 10:41 AM
This is embarrassing.

If you read the fine print of his report it actually had a section on how to leverage rocket science to stop our forwards running into each other in lieu of poor coaching/ leadership.

Ha lol

GVGjr
24-03-2024, 10:47 AM
I've worked for a couple of companies that have used a variety of consultants with very mixed results.
They've made and broken many careers for wannabe executives so it's certainly buyer beware.

bulldogtragic
24-03-2024, 10:51 AM
Chicken Twisties are better than cheese Twisties.

jeemak
24-03-2024, 10:55 AM
I'm going to start a trade Cody Weightman thread if this doesn't stop going pear shaped.

I'll even put out an expression of interest for consultants to help me execute it.

bulldogtragic
24-03-2024, 11:00 AM
I'm going to start a trade Cody Weightman thread if this doesn't stop going pair shaped.

I'll even put out an expression of interest for consultants to help me execute it.

Pear.

I dare you.

jeemak
24-03-2024, 11:03 AM
Pear.

I dare you.

I just needed to type it. Was excited.

hujsh
24-03-2024, 11:04 AM
Consultants are fine if you don't choose generalists to do a specialist's job.

I wasn't pissing on consultants with my post by the way, in fact, the opposite. I had a negative view of consultants until I became one, and then I just refined my view to generalists who have no expertise outside of being consultants. It took fifteen years on supply side before I could even think about getting a senior con role at the firm I joined.

I was joking BTW which may not have been very clear. I think most jobs are make believe anyway.

jeemak
24-03-2024, 11:05 AM
I was joking BTW which may not have been very clear. I think most jobs are make believe anyway.

Not Happy Days', he's dominating.

I wasn't even responding to you BTW, AP ruffled my feathers.

Grantysghost
24-03-2024, 11:14 AM
This is embarrassing.

Why is rocket science the gold standard? The Nazi's invented that shiz in the 30s/40s :cool:

jeemak
24-03-2024, 11:18 AM
Close the thread Gary.

Grantysghost
24-03-2024, 11:20 AM
I'm going to start a trade Cody Weightman thread if this doesn't stop going pear shaped.

Make it English and you'll be the most popular poster in history.

Actually - watching Draper last night I'm starting to turn on Tim. First McNeil, now English.

MrMahatma
24-03-2024, 11:20 AM
Chicken Twisties are better than cheese Twisties.

Is this your agenda, or Barrett?s? Or did you get this from a 65 page consultant report?

Cause it?s wrong. I have decades of first hand experience on this topic.

jeemak
24-03-2024, 11:23 AM
I think it's fair to say, WOOF is back!

bulldogtragic
24-03-2024, 11:27 AM
is this your agenda, or barrett?s? Or did you get this from a 65 page consultant report?

Cause it?s wrong. I have decades of first hand experience on this topic.

liar!

ledge
24-03-2024, 11:59 AM
Well Barrett and co it’s down to Bailey Smith pile on as that’s all they have left after trying every other player coming out of contract.
I just wish we sign all of them to stuff up all the journos rubbish.

Uninformed
24-03-2024, 06:09 PM

Present company excluded, of course.

Twodogs
24-03-2024, 08:58 PM

You're a consultant? I'd never had picked that.

bornadog
24-03-2024, 10:07 PM
You're a consultant? I'd never had picked that.

You have never asked me:)

angelopetraglia
24-03-2024, 10:33 PM
Tom Morris "Collingwood. The club is in crisis."

Seriously. They just won the Premiership. They are now in crisis!

https://x.com/FootyonNine/status/1771843448838238366?s=20

Hotdog60
24-03-2024, 10:53 PM
I'm wanting to retire so all the things I created at work will break and they can bring me back in as a consultant and so I can do the same thing but get paid 3 times more. :)

bornadog
24-03-2024, 11:16 PM
Tom Morris "Collingwood. The club is in crisis."

Seriously. They just won the Premiership. They are now in crisis!

https://x.com/FootyonNine/status/1771843448838238366?s=20

Another media dickhead

ledge
25-03-2024, 09:17 AM
Another media dickhead

Well it means he is leaving us alone

Can Bar
29-03-2024, 07:18 AM
Barrett and Cornes both Taggers, have nothing positive to contribute to society. Always looking for a headline by trying to bring someone or a club down.

ledge
29-03-2024, 10:19 AM
Barrett and Cornes both Taggers, have nothing positive to contribute to society. Always looking for a headline by trying to bring someone or a club down.

Watch footy classified . Caro has her own segment called Caros Arrow , what’s that tell you about bullying harrasment in the media ?
That show is all about singling out players, clubs and putting them down.

bornadog
29-03-2024, 10:21 AM
Watch footy classified . Caro has her own segment called Caros Arrow , what’s that tell you about bullying harrasment in the media ?
I don't watch any of those shows for that reason. AFL360 could be ok, but Robbo spoils it

jeemak
29-03-2024, 10:27 AM
I don't watch any of those shows for that reason. AFL360 could be ok, but Robbo spoils it

I watched a clip of 360 from this year and I was scared of Robbo. Or worried for him, I can't figure it out.

ledge
29-03-2024, 10:51 AM

Only one I watch is the front bar as it’s what sport should be to fans , fun.
All the other shows are just looking for headlines and sadly they are all negative.

Robbo is an idiot gave that one up years ago , spends his time waving his arms around , taking his glasses on and off and reading a paper with a pen ticking things. Thinks he is some sort of god to the game and the AFL takes in his views.

bornadog
29-03-2024, 11:08 AM
Only one I watch is the front bar as it’s what sport should be to fans , fun.
All the other shows are just looking for headlines and sadly they are all negative.

Robbo is an idiot gave that one up years ago , spends his time waving his arms around , taking his glasses on and off and reading a paper with a pen ticking things. Thinks he is some sort of god to the game and the AFL takes in his views.

I do watch Front Bar, but that is really a comedy and not Footy review.

Hotdog60
29-03-2024, 01:37 PM
The only footy show I watch is First Crack it has its faults but I do like seeing what they have to say post match.

azabob
29-03-2024, 03:06 PM
The only footy show I watch is First Crack it has its faults but I do like seeing what they have to say post match.

Yep. Agree on this.

GVGjr
29-03-2024, 03:48 PM

I watch a couple of them but I do enjoy this one. AFL 360 would be a lot better without Robbo so I don't watch it often.

Virgin-Dog
29-03-2024, 04:41 PM
Maybe I just don?t watch enough footy media anymore, but I have quite literally never seen a single piece of insight or analysis from Caro. Not once. She?s a gossip columnist and nothing more (just like Barrett) and has no place on any footy show that wants credibility.

bornadog
29-03-2024, 06:07 PM

Yes, it is a good show. Comes on a bit late and I always forget about it.

Uninformed
29-03-2024, 06:09 PM

I have never watched that. Who is on it and what makes it good?

Totally agree on Robbo. He is unwatchable. Caro and Barrett leave me needing a shower.

Hotdog60
29-03-2024, 06:30 PM
I have never watched that. Who is on it and what makes it good?

Totally agree on Robbo. He is unwatchable. Caro and Barrett leave me needing a shower.

Hosted by Anthony Hudson and Ben Dixon, with David King and Leigh Montagna.

Its more post match annalists and King and Montana give their opinions.

Uninformed
29-03-2024, 06:58 PM
Hosted by Anthony Hudson and Ben Dixon, with David King and Leigh Montagna.

Its more post match annalists and King and Montana give their opinions.

Thanks. I will have a look.

Can Bar
30-03-2024, 08:54 AM
Watch footy classified . Caro has her own segment called Caros Arrow , what?s that tell you about bullying harrasment in the media ?
I stopped watching Caro Years ago, same problem, always looking to take someone down or take a club down. As for all the footy pundit shows, its rinse and repeat the same drivel week in week out. If a team loses its because of this and that. and are likley to miss the top 8. if your team wins your now a serious top 8 chance. I like listening to Dermie and Kingy they make some sense to me.

Go_Dogs
30-03-2024, 10:06 AM
I still read some of the articles from some of these journos (not all of them / frequently) and very rarely get an opportunity to watch much of any footy show, so I can’t really comment on the quality of the current productions, however have become apathetic to them over the last 10 years. Reality is family and work commitments taking precedence is unlikely to change and I doubt I’m the target market for these shows. They seem more aimed at under 30’s in some ways (although maybe that’s changing too as locker room culture is no longer much of a thing I believe with younger generations) and others who have more bandwidth due to personal circumstances.

For purely entertainment purposes and if you don’t buy into them too much I’m sure they’re fine.

mighty_west
30-03-2024, 10:17 AM
Watch footy classified . Caro has her own segment called Caros Arrow , what?s that tell you about bullying harrasment in the media ?

Caro is pathetic, she's been at it for years on Classifieds and 3AW, really can't stand the way she continually reverts back to her favourite line, "i asked a few people and they agreed" and 100% always uses that line when others on the program question her, i can ask 10 people, 4 may agree with me so therefor they agreed, shocker.

Bulldog4life
30-03-2024, 01:23 PM
Yes, it is a good show. Comes on a bit late and I always forget about it.

Record it BAD that is what I do.

bornadog
30-03-2024, 07:35 PM
Record it BAD that is what I do.

Yes, but I keep forgetting. May put a series link on

Mofra
30-03-2024, 07:55 PM
I still read some of the articles from some of these journos (not all of them / frequently) and very rarely get an opportunity to watch much of any footy show, so I can’t really comment on the quality of the current productions, however have become apathetic to them over the last 10 years. Reality is family and work commitments taking precedence is unlikely to change and I doubt I’m the target market for these shows. They seem more aimed at under 30’s in some ways (although maybe that’s changing too as locker room culture is no longer much of a thing I believe with younger generations) and others who have more bandwidth due to personal circumstances.

For purely entertainment purposes and if you don’t buy into them too much I’m sure they’re fine.
If I'm home I'll tune into the Front Bar for a laugh.
I certainly don't watch the 'serious' shows for analysis.

jeemak
30-03-2024, 11:35 PM
This week's effort:

IF ...
footy usually produces more lows than highs ...

THEN ...
you wouldn't know that by simply observing Cody Weightman. He's always smiling, always bouncing. And he's always doing the team thing, no matter the numbers on the scoreboard. I love it, rapt for him that he kicked six goals last week.

On that we can agree with Damo.

ledge
31-03-2024, 12:14 AM
This week's effort:

IF ...
footy usually produces more lows than highs ...

THEN ...
you wouldn't know that by simply observing Cody Weightman. He's always smiling, always bouncing. And he's always doing the team thing, no matter the numbers on the scoreboard. I love it, rapt for him that he kicked six goals last week.

On that we can agree with Damo.

Wow is Damo sick and someone filled in for him ?

Happy Days
31-03-2024, 03:23 AM
IF I don’t really feel like doing my only tangible piece of work for the week which is just the first thing that pops into my head about a footy team THEN I can just look at the stats and come up with some white noise

angelopetraglia
16-04-2024, 09:09 PM
Just think of some of the more quality pieces written on Bevo and the Dogs in the last few days. Now read this piece from Barrett. Not good. Not terrible. Just meh. Just some basic facts with his own biased, personal negative spin on things. How do you get paid to paid to produce this rubbish https://www.afl.com.au/news/1110267 after all your years in the media. Surely you have some skill in writing or worthwhile opinions by now or insights into the game. Nope, nope and nope.

Imagine that being your lifes work. Commentating on other people's work and then not even being good at it and not even being remotely respected by the people who you are talking about.

All I can think of is this.

?It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.?

Grantysghost
16-04-2024, 09:18 PM
Just think of some of the more quality pieces written on Bevo and the Dogs in the last few days. Now read this piece from Barrett. Not good. Not terrible. Just meh. Just some basic facts with his own biased, personal negative spin on things. How do you get paid to paid to produce this rubbish https://www.afl.com.au/news/1110267 after all your years in the media. Surely you have some skill in writing or worthwhile opinions by now or insights into the game. Nope, nope and nope.

Imagine that being your lifes work. Commentating on other people's work and then not even being good at it and not even being remotely respected by the people who you are talking about.

All I can think of is this.

?It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.?

I agree with a lot of it - maybe that's the head space I'm in I don't know. But this is exactly how I came away from Friday's presser without ingesting any footy media :

"The problems at the Bulldogs had been evident long before Beveridge's confusing media appearance last Friday, which included rambling references relating to team selection, pain of failure, an unknown future, missed opportunities and an effective acknowledgment that his project player James O'Donnell was recalled for the Essendon game to have him ready for the next match against St Kilda, this Thursday"

ledge
16-04-2024, 09:30 PM
Just read the last line .
Aren’t all coaches coaching for their career ?
The one thing I do wonder is when is too long for Beveridge . Ten years is a great run for any coach and players get over the voice the coach runs out of ideas etc . I guess it’s not so much a Beveridge thing it’s about AFL coaching in general.
I do wonder how it will end , I hope in a good way which is rare. Who will take over, will the board change ?

jeemak
16-04-2024, 09:39 PM
What I don't get is that Friday's media performance being bad, was literally the only time Beveridge hasn't spoken clearly and thoroughly about what he's trying to do at the selection table.

All of the detractors just want to say "but Caleb Daniel is a better player than Lachie Bramble, so it's bizarre the latter is playing" without actually watching the form or listening to the reasoning.

It's pathetic, and just another reminder of the low calibre shitheads we have in the media covering this sport and getting the commercial exposure.

But I guess you get the politicians and media you deserve, football isn't any different. I mean, I clicked didn't I.

ledge
16-04-2024, 09:58 PM
What I don't get is that Friday's media performance being bad, was literally the only time Beveridge hasn't spoken clearly and thoroughly about what he's trying to do at the selection table.

All of the detractors just want to say "but Caleb Daniel is a better player than Lachie Bramble, so it's bizarre the latter is playing" without actually watching the form or listening to the reasoning.

It's pathetic, and just another reminder of the low calibre shitheads we have in the media covering this sport and getting the commercial exposure.

But I guess you get the politicians and media you deserve, football isn't any different. I mean, I clicked didn't I.

It’s AI at its best , records what you read and BANG it’s the next ten stories . If you think Cornes , Caro etc don’t get the stats your a silly duffer , they then write a story on the story that got the clicks. I find it funny how one writes a story and then ten others come out with the same story just written in another way the next day or week.

Grantysghost
16-04-2024, 10:20 PM

You need to hear some of his longer speeches.

All coaches are mad though aren't they.

This team is better than losing 7 of the last 11 though especially when some of those are against the likes of Hawthorn, West Coast and Essendon.

Testekill
17-04-2024, 11:16 AM
Let's face it; if Macrae and Daniel were in poor form in the seniors while Bramble and Baker were killing it Barrett would be ripping into our selection team for having zero integrity.

Clowns like Barrett don't pay attention to anything but snippets of vision and raw stats.

angelopetraglia
26-04-2024, 10:26 AM
Damo with a post that actually agrees with Bevo. What alternative world are we living in today?

IF ...
Ryley Sanders is clearly the future ...

THEN ...
Tom Liberatore is clearly the past and the now. Libba missed last week with concussion protocols and may well be in already-exceptional career-best form. Sanders axed for the game against Freo, Libba in. The right call on Sanders. A prodigy in the works, but form has tapered and attitude may need a slight tweak, too.

ledge
26-04-2024, 11:16 AM
Damo with a post that actually agrees with Bevo. What alternative world are we living in today?

IF ...

THEN ...
Tom Liberatore is clearly the past and the now. Libba missed last week with concussion protocols and may well be in already-exceptional career-best form. Sanders axed for the game against Freo, Libba in. The right call on Sanders. A prodigy in the works, but form has tapered and attitude may need a slight tweak, too.

I think it’s more that Garcia played well and you coudnt drop Garcia, I like the idea of Garcia and Libba swapping in the middle.
Sanders should play reserves for a while.

mjp
26-04-2024, 11:17 AM
The Eagles have left Reid out...

1st year players just don't need to play every week.

kruder
26-04-2024, 11:25 AM
Sanders needs to go back to the VFL, he is well off the pace without ball in hand.

Our match committee has been a lot easier to read in the last few few weeks.

mjp
26-04-2024, 11:28 AM
I think it’s more that Garcia played well and you coudnt drop Garcia, I like the idea of Garcia and Libba swapping in the middle.
Sanders should play reserves for a while.

Well, you could.

I agree he played well, but if it was Garcia or Liber then who are you choosing?

Sanders needs a break...I think he's different to Liber and Garcia and that we sort of 'need' that different in the side - but it just seems he's all up in his own head about things right now. Couple of weeks out of the seniors will do him well.

bornadog
26-04-2024, 11:31 AM

IF ...

THEN ...

He still has to have a dig - moron he is

How does he know what his attitude is ?? Idiot

Go_Dogs
26-04-2024, 11:47 AM
Thought that too BAD, seemed unnecessary but so is a lot of what Damo says.