PDA

View Full Version : We need to throw millions of dollars around now.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2014, 05:34 PM
For those who don't know, we have to pay a minimum amount of the salary cap. Which is what Melbourne faced years ago and has allowed Frawley to leave as a Free Agent.

We are going to have to throw cash around to almost silly proportions to make the minimum level. This throws up a lot of current and future issues.

KT31
09-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Would be one positive to picking up Tom Lonergan, would free up some dollars when we would be nearing our window.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Would be one positive to picking up Tom Lonergan, would free up some dollars when we would be nearing our window.

Seriously need to think about how we do it. If we throw cash at kids who could be RFA's then we can't do it. My understanding was this year we were paying the minimum cap spend. Assuming Tom, Gia, Coons, Higgo, Griff, Jones & Tutt were paid about $2,200,000. We have to find players to take that money. Ideally Cameron or Boyd come our way and take a career keeping salary. Even then we need players to take good coin. This better be done right.

G-Mo77
09-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Problem is we've only got a week to do it.

Axe Man
09-10-2014, 07:44 PM
I would happily pay Jack Redpath $500K to knock Ryan Griffen into the top deck of Ethiad next season.

GVGjr
09-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Jason McCartney will handle this. He can make it work

lemmon
09-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Seriously need to think about how we do it. If we throw cash at kids who could be RFA's then we can't do it. My understanding was this year we were paying the minimum cap spend. Assuming Tom, Gia, Coons, Higgo, Griff, Jones & Tutt were paid about $2,200,000. We have to find players to take that money. Ideally Cameron or Boyd come our way and take a career keeping salary. Even then we need players to take good coin. This better be done right.
Any reason we can't give it to the older guys who have shown some loyalty? Give Murphy and Morris 600k and a golden handshake for the final few years of their contract. God knows they've earnt it.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Any reason we can't give it to the older guys who have shown some loyalty? Give Murphy and Morris 600k and a golden handshake for the final few years of their contract. God knows they've earnt it.

We might need to, as loading kids could 'James Frawley' them. Or we look at recruiting in someone who can slip to the PSD to us for a stupid offer. Carlisle for $3million on 4 years, front loaded etc, etc. It doesn't sound like a big problem, but as it's all the finer details, it is a considerable issue to work through.

LostDoggy
09-10-2014, 08:16 PM
We can front load young guns contracts but just make sure final year spikes up again. The frawley situation was a screw up but shouldn't be repeated again. The thing that will hurt is when we get the same or less compensation from Griffen than Melbourne gets for Frawley.

Greystache
09-10-2014, 08:24 PM
We should target 2 players we feel we can build a spine around and offer them a deal along the lines of $5mil over 6 years and put a large amount on their first year or two. That way in their 4th-6th years when we're a contender they're only taking up about $500k. Carlisle and Cameron for example.

Twodogs
09-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Can someone please explain this Frawley contract situation. What have those loveable scallywags at the MFC *!*!*!*!ed up this time.

Twodogs
09-10-2014, 08:28 PM
We can front load young guns contracts but just make sure final year spikes up again. The frawley situation was a screw up but shouldn't be repeated again. The thing that will hurt is when we get the same or less compensation from Griffen than Melbourne gets for Frawley.

The offer I heard this afternoon was very generous. Two picks in the top ten.

Greystache
09-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Can someone please explain this Frawley contract situation. What have those loveable scallywags at the MFC *!*!*!*!ed up this time.

They front loaded his contract so much (because they thought they were about to be a powerhouse) that by the last year in his contact he wasn't in the top 10 highest paid players at the club and therefore became an unrestricted free agent.

Ghost Dog
09-10-2014, 08:42 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WV3wm-wcN44/VDZJI-sFofI/AAAAAAAACiU/jSluLlUZcSk/s1600/Sketch94161041_20141009163429821%5B1%5D.jpg

Standing in for FDOTM.

Twodogs
09-10-2014, 09:19 PM
We should make a huge offer to Cal Ward and pinch him back.

The Underdog
09-10-2014, 09:22 PM
We should make a huge offer to Cal Ward and pinch him back.

Nah, captains don't leave...oh hang on.

josie
09-10-2014, 09:30 PM
I'd have Cal Ward back too - as a player, but not as captain.

divvydan
09-10-2014, 10:00 PM
They front loaded his contract so much (because they thought they were about to be a powerhouse) that by the last year in his contact he wasn't in the top 10 highest paid players at the club and therefore became an unrestricted free agent.

Has to be said that they were a little unlucky in that at the time of the contract, there was no free agency and there was no suggestion that something like this could happen.

soupman
11-10-2014, 01:08 AM

To be fair I'm pretty sure the contract was drawn up pre-free agency and they got screwed over by the way the AFL decided it would work. A bit like how Sydney were told mid trade week that they couldn't trade.

Remi Moses
11-10-2014, 01:13 AM
The offer I heard this afternoon was very generous. Two picks in the top ten.

Are you talking re. Griffen Twodogs

soupman
11-10-2014, 01:14 AM

I'm hoping that's what we get for Jones.

Twodogs
11-10-2014, 02:02 AM

Yep. They have already offered their pick 4 as an opening gambit. They will get pick 7 from Carlton for Jasch and we should demand that as well. Either that or they quarantine 5 or 6 players and we chose one of the remaining players.

That's been done in big deals before.

Twodogs
11-10-2014, 02:04 AM
I mean negotiate a deal with them.

azabob
18-10-2014, 07:46 PM
For those who don't know, we have to pay a minimum amount of the salary cap. Which is what Melbourne faced years ago and has allowed Frawley to leave as a Free Agent.

We are going to have to throw cash around to almost silly proportions to make the minimum level. This throws up a lot of current and future issues.

So BT, did we throw enough around ;)

Personally, I think we threw around just the right amount.

boydogs
18-10-2014, 09:07 PM

We used it as well, as a bargaining chip instead of recruiting a list we couldn't afford in future or overpaying them to condition them to expect that and more as they improve

Twodogs
18-10-2014, 09:11 PM
We will look back on this and smile one day. We'll be struggling to keep everyone under the cap. Hopefully.

bulldogtragic
18-10-2014, 11:43 PM

I'm happy Aza, if we've been able to front load up to 2 million next year, the remained of the contract drops to $800,000 or so a year, which will be a steal by the end of his contract. People may talk about the million a year figure and ability in resigning players, but circumstance may mean the extra cash needed to be paid next year is in fact a nice investment in having better capacity to have our Boyd cake and eat Bonti Stringer pies in future years too.

LostDoggy
20-10-2014, 11:45 PM
I'm happy Aza, if we've been able to front load up to 2 million next year, the remained of the contract drops to $800,000 or so a year, which will be a steal by the end of his contract. People may talk about the million a year figure and ability in resigning players, but circumstance may mean the extra cash needed to be paid next year is in fact a nice investment in having better capacity to have our Boyd cake and eat Bonti Stringer pies in future years too.

We're not allowed to pay him more than the set amount for his second year are we?

1eyedog
20-10-2014, 11:47 PM
We're not allowed to pay him more than the set amount for his second year are we?

No he's on the same wage next year that he would have been on at GWS.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2014, 11:58 PM

It's been answered, but I guess the argument flows for the next year as I assume we were banking on Griffen and Jones and/or Cooney staying. Front load as much of it before other pups have their pay increased.