PDA

View Full Version : Who should we get as our new coach?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

bornadog
14-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Just been doing some digging;

Here are a few candidates we might have an interest in

Brett Ratten - Haw
Brendon Bolton - Haw
Stewart Dew - Swans
John Blakey - Swans
Blake Caracella - Cats
Matthew Knights - Cats VFL
Peter Sumich - Freo
Leigh Tudor - NM
Mark Thompson - Ess
Mark Williams - Rich
Scott Burns - Coll
Rodney Eade - Coll
Monty - Dogs

Brenton Sanderson
John Worsfold
Gary Ayres
Scott West

Good List Doctor.

I know we are looking at an experienced coach, but I am not convinced on Ratten, Williams, Ayres, Knights and I doubt Thompson would come to us. Worsfold I doubt wants to coach again at this stage, Eade had is time with us and again, I also doubt he wants to coach again. Sanderson too similar to Macca, ie good on development, lacks communication with players.

So, doesn't leave much. I like Leigh Tudor and Scott Burns seems to be highly regarded.

1eyedog
14-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Not much has been mentioned on Tudor but he has credential and a couple VFL flags to his credit.

I don't mind Tudor. he's certainly done his apprenticeship. Worked at North, Sydney and the Aints so knows how it all works.

Axe Man
14-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Brett Ratten is right fit for Western Bulldogs coaching job, says club legend Gary Dempsey (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/brett-ratten-is-right-fit-for-western-bulldogs-coaching-job-says-club-legend-gary-dempsey/story-fndv8weh-1227089296554)

WESTERN Bulldogs great Gary Dempsey has urged the club to target sacked Carlton coach Brett Ratten as it begins its search to replace Brendan McCartney.
The Brownlow Medallist and former captain worked with Ratten as Carlton’s ruck coach in 2007 and believes he is best placed to propel the Dogs up the ladder.
Ratten replaced Denis Pagan that year and despite being removed by the Blues in 2012, his stocks have since risen.
After leaving the Blues with a 50 per cent winning record Ratten has spent two premiership seasons at Hawthorn as an assistant to Alastair Clarkson.
“I thought Brett was excellent,” six-time Dogs best-and-fairest winner Dempsey said.
“He plans everything well, he’s prepared and I think his record at Carlton shows he can coach.
“He’s a best-and-fairest winner in a premiership year, so there’s no doubt he can play the game and no doubt he can coach the game.”
Dempsey said he believed the Dogs needed someone who had played at the elite level — unlike McCartney who resigned on Friday — and could bring stability.
McCartney’s senior assistant Brett Montgomery has been installed the early favourite.
Bulldogs president Peter Gordon yesterday said the next senior coach needed a mix of development, strategic and competitive elements.
“We’re three years down the (rebuild) track and I think the senior coach we are looking for will be one that allows us to compete,” he said.
And Dempsey said club legend Scott West — who told the Herald Sun he wants the top job — would make an impressive assistant coach.
West spent this season in the ABC commentary box after a five-year coaching apprenticeship.
From 2009-11 West was at Melbourne and he then steered Werribee to consecutive VFL preliminary finals.
“Scotty would be an excellent assistant coach and if I was involved I’d be going for Brett,” Dempsey said.
Port Melbourne premiership coach Gary Ayres yesterday confirmed his interest but said he was likely to wait for an invitation to apply.
The former Geelong and Adelaide mentor was close to landing the St Kilda job after Ross Lyon quit and is about to jet to Thailand on holiday.
Hawks football manager Chris Fagan recently declared recycled coaches were well-equipped for second chances.
“The world is full of successful people who have been given a second chance because they’ve learned from their mistakes,” he tweeted.
West Coast icon and new AFL Coaches Association chairman John Worsfold agreed, saying: “There is an issue with that (second chances) and it’s a more modern issue”.
Ratten worked with Dogs high performance manager Justin Cordy for six years at Carlton, although the pair did have a confrontation in 2012.
Retired Dog Daniel Giansiracusa said Cordy was “the best in the business”.
Football director Chris Grant will head the panel to choose McCartney’s successor.

bornadog
14-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Voss joins Power as midfield coach.

Axe Man
14-10-2014, 02:45 PM
If anyone fancies a flutter Sportsbet are offering the following odds on our next coach:

Brett Montgomery 3.00
Scott West 5.00
Brendan Bolton 8.00
Mark Thompson 10.00
Brett Ratten 12.00
Leigh Tudor 12.00
Stewart Dew 16.00
Peter Sumich 18.00
Gary Ayres 21.00
Brenton Sanderson 21.00
Scott Burns 21.00
Mark Williams 21.00
Chris Maple 26.00
Gary Hocking 26.00
Shannon Grant 26.00
Nathan Bassett 31.00
Steven King 31.00
Mark Harvey 31.00
Rohan Smith 34.00
Cameron Ling 41.00
Mark Bickley 41.00
Ross Lyon 41.00
Brad Johnson 41.00
Luke Darcy 41.00
Brett Kirk 41.00
Daniel Giansiracusa 41.00
Michael Voss 41.00
Cameron Mooney 41.00
Matthew Scarlett 41.00
James Hird 41.00:eek:
Ryan Griffen 41.00:eek::eek:
Alastair Clarkson 41.00
Rodney Eade 41.00

GVGjr
14-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Sumich seems real keen. Does anyone rate him as a coach? I have no firm opinion.

Ozza
14-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Sumich seems real keen. Does anyone rate him as a coach? I have no firm opinion.

I haven't given Sumich too much thought as a coach yet.....I'm still getting over when he kicked 13 goals against us in 1991!!

Sedat
14-10-2014, 03:19 PM
I haven't given Sumich too much thought as a coach yet.....I'm still getting over when he kicked 13 goals against us in 1991!!
Let's hope he doesn't bring in Paul Gow as defensiver coach!

bornadog
14-10-2014, 03:22 PM

Hard to gauge what he is like? What are your thoughts?

GVGjr
14-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Hard to gauge what he is like? What are your thoughts?

I don't know much about his coaching abilities. As I originally said, I have no firm opinion on him other than knowing he was one of the first to put his hand up

Pedro Sanchez
14-10-2014, 03:39 PM
I don't know much about his coaching abilities. As I originally said, I have no firm opinion on him other than knowing he was one of the first to put his hand up

I live in Perth – which is always a challenge when you’re a dogs supporter – but the mail I have from both hardened Eagles and Dockers fans is that he’s highly rated.
Lots credit him with the Eagles success in the Woosha era, while Dockers fans who loved to hate him before he moved south, reluctantly are also impressed. Its worth noting he also lead South Freo to a premiership too.

He comes across as aloof and almost dull, but is highly tactical and very match-day smart. Has been a bridesmaid on many occasions – many Eagles fans thought he’d be an automatic replacement when Woosha departed. Could he be the next Ken Hinkley if given the chance????

In other news, I’ve heard Blake Carracella is also highly rated. A smokey for the job maybe…

The bulldog tragician
14-10-2014, 03:52 PM

I was there for that, in fact my plane was delayed and I arrived at 1/4 time to find the match already over. Didn't even get to experience the moment of optimism when they ran out on the ground.

bornadog
14-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Western Bulldogs assistant coach Brett Montgomery firms as favourite to take over top job from Brendan McCartney according to Tony Sheahan.

The Doctor
14-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Sumich was overlooked by WA clubs. There must be a reason for that.

GVGjr
14-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Sumich was overlooked by WA clubs. There must be a reason for that.

That's why I'm a bit neutral on him. He seems to have a lot of supporters but why is he being over looked?

I wouldn't be upset if we had him down to the last few though

bornadog
14-10-2014, 05:14 PM
That's why I'm a bit neutral on him. He seems to have a lot of supporters but why is he being over looked?

I wouldn't be upset if we had him down to the last few though

Scott Burns is another overlooked for several senior roles.

Maddog37
14-10-2014, 05:14 PM
So was Ken Hinkley

bornadog
14-10-2014, 05:20 PM
So was Ken Hinkley

True, even by us.

Guido
14-10-2014, 07:10 PM
Has our selection panel been put together yet? I reckon Wallace would be a good addition.

Think enough water has gone under the bridge since he left, knows his stuff, and looking at the below article, can certainly make a right call about coaches in waiting (when many coach selection panels at the time didn't).

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/saints-get-ken-hinkley-now/story-e6frf9jf-1226143096631

bornadog
14-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Stewie Dew staying in Sydney.

The Doctor
14-10-2014, 07:51 PM
it won't be Dew
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-14/dew-not-interested-in-bulldogs-suns-jobs

dog town
14-10-2014, 09:05 PM
It is really hard for the common fan to tell who is and isn't going to be a good choice. All we have is second hand info and our own opinions from flashes of info we get.

I think it will be very difficult for an inexperienced coach to take the job these days. Al Clarkson said in an interview before the gf that he hasn't taken a drill at training in 4 years. It is all man management now. Managing the other coaches, pushing the direction of our style of play etc. You need a heap of hands on experience to be able to do that sort of thing. Not saying they need to have AFL coaching experience but they would want to have plenty of experience in the system.

Bulldog Revolution
14-10-2014, 09:34 PM
it won't be Dew

Delighted to see that!!

Its simple the new coach has to be able to:
1. implement a game plan
2. communicate
3. develop players

The Bulldogs Bite
14-10-2014, 10:09 PM
it won't be Dew

Happy with that.

I was surprised and extremely turned off by his interview on Grand Final day. Looked/sounded so far out of his depth.

We need an experienced, calm head at the helm.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Left field.... Could Gia unite the players, bring the players, coaches and admin together. When he's been micced up on TV he doesn't hold back on everyone, but does the teaching side too well. Media performer too, liked in the industry, good representative of the club. Bleeds RW&B.

w3design
14-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Left field.... Could Gia unite the players, bring the players, coaches and admin together. When he's been micced up on TV he doesn't hold back on everyone, but does the teaching side too well. Media performer too, liked in the industry, good representative of the club. Bleeds RW&B.

At least 5 years away from being close to ready and probably needs to go elsewhere for the experience. The days of a player, even a club great, going straight into head coach is a relic of the past

bulldogtragic
14-10-2014, 10:27 PM
At least 5 years away from being close to ready and probably needs to go elsewhere for the experience. The days of a player, even a club great, going straight into head coach is a relic of the past

That's why its left field... everything old is new again. Could be a sub-player coach.

boydogs
14-10-2014, 11:34 PM

Hopefully we can get a lot of that from him as an assistant

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 12:08 AM
What about Sumich? Not sure he is any good but compared to all possible applicants he is probably most qualified assistant.
Bit like Hinkley who had been over looked for coaching positions.
I think he is worth a look.

Scraggers
15-10-2014, 03:17 AM
What about Sumich? Not sure he is any good but compared to all possible applicants he is probably most qualified assistant.
Bit like Hinkley who had been over looked for coaching positions.
I think he is worth a look.

If Sumich is appointed coach I will hand in my membership ticket. Absolute knob jockey ... No thank you

Twodogs
15-10-2014, 09:46 AM

For many years I have posted on a WA football site. For a long time they have looked at Sumich as little more than novelty value and regarded him as a bit of a dill.

Like I say it's just the view of football supporters but it's been a strong view and pretty equally shared between the Freo and West Coast supporters who post there.

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 07:19 PM
If Sumich is appointed coach I will hand in my membership ticket. Absolute knob jockey ... No thank you
Why is he a knob jockey?

Bulldog Revolution
16-10-2014, 11:43 PM
I'd like to see us interview Beveridge, Tudor, Bassett, and Montgomery

Im not interested in Ratten, Dew, Williams or Bomber

hujsh
17-10-2014, 06:55 AM
I'd like to see us interview Beveridge, Tudor, Bassett, and Montgomery

Im not interested in Ratten, Dew, Williams or Bomber

I echo this statement

Hotdog60
17-10-2014, 07:35 AM
I have no idea what so ever on a coach, looking at what's out there nothing jumps out and says pick me.
I'll have to rely on the clubs call on this one and go with it.
If for only a continuation of plan and less disruption to the players that are on the list still I would think Monty or Maple.
Sure they will have there own agenda but they know the playing stock left.
I thinking of players that might be upgraded may not be in the future coaches plan. So many things can change with a new coach and with someone that's not been part of the rebuild may take us back before we go forward.
But as I said who knows on the coach I really have no idea.

hujsh
17-10-2014, 10:07 AM
I would maybe keep Monty next year for his knowledge of the players and after that it might be best if we parted ways for a bit. Don't love the idea of him as the senior coach from what little I know

LostDoggy
17-10-2014, 10:46 AM
I hope it's not Ratten. IIRC the Carlton fans were highly critical of his match day strategy (or lack thereof) in the same way we have been of McCartney. No thanks.

GVGjr
17-10-2014, 11:03 AM
I hope it's not Ratten. IIRC the Carlton fans were highly critical of his match day strategy (or lack thereof) in the same way we have been of McCartney. No thanks.

I don't think Montgomery and Ratten had a good relationship towards the end of their time together either. I suspect if Ratten got the job then Montgomery would be hard pressed to remain at the club

GVGjr
17-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Sumich and Kingsleys names get a mention

http://afl.com.au/news/2014-10-17/dogs-coach-search-underway

Remi Moses
17-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Game day for me Ratten looks like a dear in the headlights.
Don't know enough of Sumich

azabob
17-10-2014, 09:44 PM
Sumich and Kingsleys names get a mention

http://afl.com.au/news/2014-10-17/dogs-coach-search-underway

Kingsley a dark horse hey? The only place i have seen or heard his name mentioned is by you GVGjr. Has anyone else heard his name raised in discussions?

Maddog37
17-10-2014, 09:46 PM
Kingsley a dark horse hey? The only place i have seen or heard his name mentioned is by you GVGjr. Has anyone else heard his name raised in discussions?

Not that I can recall.

divvydan
17-10-2014, 09:49 PM
For those wondering about why the betting market for the new coach got taken down. Well, it doesn't take much money on the non-favourite to make the betting agency get worried and take down the market.

GVGjr
17-10-2014, 09:52 PM

Maybe some of the media folk have popped onto WOOF for a squiz.
I have followed Kingsley for a couple of years because when he is on the air he just speaks so well. He might be a bit young for what we really need but I hope we interview him. I'd say he is a long shot at best.

Bolton deserves an interview but coming from a non traditional pathway into the coaching ranks much like Brendan McCartney might work against him.

Tudor seems to be worth a chat to as well.

The one thing that is a real positive from the clubs point of view is that they will get a number of ideas just by interviewing prospective coaches. They have to put their best effort into it and can't really hold back.
If we interview Bolton for example we get a good insight into the Hawthorn approach.

ledge
17-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Is someone in the media staying at the whitten oval motel watching who comes and goes ?

ledge
17-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Well the cat is out of the bag .. It's Jason Mc Cartney, just got my membership papers and it said I will receive the coachs message by email and its called Maccas message.

Bulldog4life
17-10-2014, 10:29 PM
For those wondering about why the betting market for the new coach got taken down. Well, it doesn't take much money on the non-favourite to make the betting agency get worried and take down the market.

Yes I did wonder that. I wonder who it was?

azabob
17-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Yes I did wonder that. I wonder who it was?

According to the article posted above the coach was sumich

Bulldog Revolution
17-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Maybe some of the media folk have popped onto WOOF for a squiz.
I have followed Kingsley for a couple of years because when he is on the air he just speaks so well. He might be a bit young for what we really need but I hope we interview him. I'd say he is a long shot at best.

Bolton deserves an interview but coming from a non traditional pathway into the coaching ranks much like Brendan McCartney might work against him.

Tudor seems to be worth a chat to as well.

The one thing that is a real positive from the clubs point of view is that they will get a number of ideas just by interviewing prospective coaches. They have to put their best effort into it and can't really hold back.
If we interview Bolton for example we get a good insight into the Hawthorn approach.

Good idea to speak with Bolton and Kingsley

We need a coach the group can grow with, but absolutely they have to be a good communicator. We need to spread the media duties out and free whoever it is up to build relationships with the playing group.

Im disappointed in Macca for neglecting this.

Bulldog4life
18-10-2014, 01:22 PM
According to the article posted above the coach was sumich

Odds back up. Monty has firmed.

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/australian-rules/next-western-bulldogs-coach

Brett Montgomery 2.75

Scott West 5.00

Brendan Bolton 8.00

Brett Ratten 12.00

Leigh Tudor 12.00

Mark Thompson 15.00

Rodney Eade 15.00

Stewart Dew 16.00

Peter Sumich 18.00

Scott Burns 21.00

Brenton Sanderson 21.00

Gary Ayres 21.00

Mark Williams 21.00

Gary Hocking 26.00

Chris Maple 26.00

Shannon Grant 26.00

Nathan Bassett 31.00

Twodogs
18-10-2014, 10:13 PM
I have to wonder about Rocket's presence on that list. You'd have to think he was a million to one instead of a stubborn 15 to 1. Or maybe he's just novelty value and no-one has put any money on him so he's just stayed steady.

jeemak
18-10-2014, 10:53 PM
I'm not comfortable with Ratten.

From what I can gather there was a fairly strong level of disappointment in how he laid out strategy with his assistants and performed on match day.

The source I have used to work under him, I can't say more than that.

Sedat
19-10-2014, 01:02 AM
Tudor, Kingsley and Bassett are the 3 that interest me the most. Tudor and Kingsley following the Ken Hinkley apprentiship model and Bassett as the left field option who has coached his own club with great distinction at SANFL level.

jeemak
19-10-2014, 01:07 AM
Is the Ken Hinkley model similar to the model that spawned ex-Geelong coaches?

Sedat
19-10-2014, 01:26 AM
Is the Ken Hinkley model similar to the model that spawned ex-Geelong coaches?
The well-rounded apprentiship that involves several different clubs and primarily line-coaching experience.

Twodogs
19-10-2014, 01:54 AM
How does that differ from the Geelong model Sedat? What's Geelong's model would be a better question?

jeemak
19-10-2014, 01:57 AM
The well-rounded apprentiship that involves several different clubs and primarily line-coaching experience.

I don't doubt its merits, I'm more concerned about anything that's remotely Geelong oriented getting off the ground at our club considering what we've just been through, Sedat.

Getting rid of McCartney on Thursday of last week was well off my radar, and not a lot has changed, but it's done. Anything to do with something close to that model will be a little unlikely to get off the ground in my view, hence the questioning.

lemmon
19-10-2014, 01:00 PM
I like Basset and am surprised by how far an outsider he is. Did very good things at the Redlegs and coaching your own side is a big tick in my book. Tudor is the other I'd like, so much success in his resume can't be a coincidence.

ratsmac
19-10-2014, 03:31 PM
I like Leigh Tudor. From what I've heard he sounds like a good option. Here's an article before norf played the swans in the prelim this year. http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jay-clark-leigh-tudor-has-brought-success-to-every-club-hes-coached-at-could-be-north-melbournes-lucky-charm/story-fni5ezi5-1227058206588

Remi Moses
19-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Ratten's a bit deer in the headlights on match day for me.
I'm big on Tudor, with his cast experience at many clubs

azabob
19-10-2014, 04:13 PM
So safe to say Leigh Tudor wont get the gig as it seems most of us rate him? :D

Webby
19-10-2014, 07:13 PM
I found this funny! AFL.com published the following in an article:

"Other prominent assistant coaches who could be sought out include Luke Beveridge, who recently joined St Kilda from Hawthorn, Leigh Tudor (North Melbourne), Jade Rawlings (Melbourne) and Brendan Bolton (Hawthorn)"

It's fair to say that the author probably doesn't quite grasp the lack of affection held for Jade Rawlings amongst Western Bulldogs supporters!

divvydan
19-10-2014, 10:21 PM
I suspect Rawlings was mentioned because he's one of Liam Pickering's coaches and there is a suggestion that Pickering must have known who the next coach would be to entice Boyd.

Remi Moses
19-10-2014, 11:45 PM
It's funny I think we'll struggle next season, but I feel more comfortable about our future.
How do others feel?

BulldogBelle
19-10-2014, 11:51 PM
It's funny I think we'll struggle next season, but I feel more comfortable about our future.
How do others feel?

Spot on Remi.
l think next year bottom 4 and maybe a slight improvement in 2016. We need to nail these 2 draft picks (2015 & 16) as they will be our last good ones for a while.
But we have massive upside moving forward. Looking forward to the next 10 years.

jeemak
19-10-2014, 11:59 PM
My issue is I'm uncertain in how we'll perform relative to those teams around us. We may improve, but it may not be at an adequate rate to take a step up.

LostDoggy
21-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Brett Ratten has come in from 12-1 to 3-1 in a matter of days on Sportbet.

GVGjr
21-10-2014, 09:28 AM

I wonder how this all works, Montgomery was almost a sure thing just a week ago. I'm not sure we have even started the interviews.

w3design
21-10-2014, 09:39 AM
I wonder how this all works, Montgomery was almost a sure thing just a week ago. I'm not sure we have even started the interviews.

Luke Darcy on Triple M said this morning that the interviews will start this afternoon as the committee has been assembled.
The committee consists of: Chris Grant, Peter Gordon, Luke Darcy, John Worsfold and Simon Garlick.

LostDoggy
21-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Luke Darcy on Triple M said this morning that the interviews will start this afternoon as the committee has been assembled.
The committee consists of: Chris Grant, Peter Gordon, Luke Darcy, John Worsfold and Simon Garlick.

Out of leftfield on the panel. I like it.

GVGjr
21-10-2014, 09:41 AM

Worsfold is an interesting name to have in the interviews.

Templeton31
21-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Id rather they had Dunstall.

bornadog
21-10-2014, 10:12 AM

Well that rules him out of any coaching jobs

Agree

LostDoggy
21-10-2014, 10:34 AM

I'd say it's a great move. A vastly experienced Premiership coach. I did think he gre tired of the game very early into his last season, but his knowledge of what's needed at the top level, coupled with only just leaving the game recently, augurs well for our selection process.

GVGjr
21-10-2014, 10:48 AM

He would be outstanding but the one thing that probably rules him out is there will very likely be two Hawks assistant coaches being interviewed. It would certainly be a perceived conflict should one of them be appointed.

LostDoggy
21-10-2014, 11:06 AM
He would be outstanding but the one thing that probably rules him out is there will very likely be two Hawks assistant coaches being interviewed. It would certainly be a perceived conflict should one of them be appointed.

I thought the exact same thing regarding Sumich spending 10 years under Worsfold at West Coast.

GVGjr
21-10-2014, 11:20 AM
I thought the exact same thing regarding Sumich spending 10 years under Worsfold at West Coast.

I don't think that would be as big of an issue but the good thing is Sumich has been at Fremantle for a while

Bulldog4life
21-10-2014, 12:15 PM

That's good from purely a selfish view. I had a nibble at 12's.

w3design
21-10-2014, 12:15 PM

Darcy made a mistake. It's Graham Lowe, not Peter Gordon

lemmon
21-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Mmmm not sure what Luke Darcy brings to the table to be brutally honest. Perhaps gives a media/commercial perspective?

Maddog37
21-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Nice gloves maybe?

GVGjr
21-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Mmmm not sure what Luke Darcy brings to the table to be brutally honest. Perhaps gives a media/commercial perspective?

He is pretty forthright in my opinion. I think he would be very focused on getting the right coach for us

boydogs
21-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Worsfold is head of the coaches association, think he's well positioned to assist our search

G-Mo77
21-10-2014, 01:21 PM

I saw the link on Facebook, without reading I thought Worsfold was going to be coach. :)

I should read first.

divvydan
21-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Good to know that Graham Lowe is still around and actually involved in things that the General Manager should be involved in.

Cyberdoggie
21-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Worsfold is head of the coaches association, think he's well positioned to assist our search

He's also from interstate and apart from connections with Sumich he's a little more removed from any bias than someone like Harley was last time. Not saying anything on Harley just that we went down a very Geelong orientated flavour last time and it hasn't worked. There is Good Bulldogs people on the board and as long as they get someone with enough experience in dealing with a team of their own, and proven ability to communicate and manage a side then I'd be happy.

Hot_Doggies
21-10-2014, 05:19 PM
He's also from interstate and apart from connections with Sumich he's a little more removed from any bias than someone like Harley was last time. Not saying anything on Harley just that we went down a very Geelong orientated flavour last time and it hasn't worked. There is Good Bulldogs people on the board and as long as they get someone with enough experience in dealing with a team of their own, and proven ability to communicate and manage a side then I'd be happy.

Wasn't Scott Burns at the Eagles with Worsfold?

Rocket Science
21-10-2014, 05:58 PM
He is pretty forthright in my opinion. I think he would be very focused on getting the right coach for us

Get around him. Massive inclusion on the panel with elite talent spotting skills. Have to love the way he goes about it. (https://twitter.com/NOTLukeDarcy)

Greystache
21-10-2014, 06:07 PM
Get around him. Massive inclusion on the panel with elite talent spotting skills. Have to love the way he goes about it. (https://twitter.com/NOTLukeDarcy)

Say that again...

Best in the business!

always right
21-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Whoever we get you can bet the bulldogs players will just love him.

choconmientay
21-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Say that again...

hehehehh, nicely played.

josie
23-10-2014, 05:41 AM
Age article notes "Brett Ratten has indicated he wants to remain at Hawthorn next season"
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/suns-warming-to-serious-eade-bid-20141022-11a5ux.html

Another one regarding Bomber Thompson interesting too
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hird-will-coach-while-thompson-in-limbo-20141022-11a67h.html

Would we want Bomber? (I'd say yes, although as some have indicated he may not want to coach Dogs straight after BMac and possibly would not want to coach us at all anyway).

If he was interested though....what could worst case consequence from ASADA case be if he is our head coach?

Leigh Tudor looking promising. Does anyone know who we have/will be interviewing?

Hotdog60
23-10-2014, 09:09 AM
The part that would worry me is the line:

"It's really important for Mark if he wants to stay in footy – and he wants to stay in footy at Essendon – that he has what I would call a meaningful job that gives him energy and passion to get out of bed in the morning".

This give me concern over his motivation and if things aren't looking good would he pull the pin.

KT31
23-10-2014, 10:16 AM
Article from a couple of months back on Tudor

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jay-clark-leigh-tudor-has-brought-success-to-every-club-hes-coached-at-could-be-north-melbournes-lucky-charm/story-fni5ezi5-1227058206588

w3design
24-10-2014, 10:06 AM
One thing that is very clear, there is no coach nominated that will get the majority of the supporter base to rally around them initially.

It is going to take results on the board which given experience of our list may be difficult.

I would have preferred a Williams Ayers Ratten, but it looks more like a rookie now. So we will have a coach learning their craft trying to bring through young group. Makes appointment of assistants as important as the coach himself

LostDoggy
24-10-2014, 10:16 AM
Port opted for the older untried assistant coach. Who's the oldest out there that fits that criteria? Would it be Sumich?

Bulldog4life
24-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Current Odds at Sportsbet:

Next Western Bulldogs Coach

Brett Ratten 2.50

Brett Montgomery 2.50

Scott West 7.00

Peter Sumich 11.00

Brendan Bolton 14.00

Leigh Tudor 14.00

Mark Thompson 17.00

John Worsfold 19.00

Stewart Dew 21.00

Neil Craig 21.00

Shannon Grant 26.00

Gary Hocking 26.00

Gary Ayres 26.00

Mark Williams 26.00

Chris Maple 26.00

Mofra
24-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Sumich or Tudor seem to be the main chances if rumours are to be believed, highly rated assistants.

Bulldog4life
24-10-2014, 10:31 AM
I would assume that Ratten's price came in when Darcy was appointed to the coaching panel. Shortly before his appointment he was quoted in the HUN saying he thought the Bulldogs should appoint Ratten.

Ghost Dog
24-10-2014, 10:39 AM
It's a pity Chris Maple is so far off the pace. Why? He has a good understanding of our list, is a very even keeled guy, seemingly liked by our playing group.

GVGjr
24-10-2014, 10:45 AM
It's a pity Chris Maple is so far off the pace. Why?

He probably doesn't have the required background. Why do you think he should be regarded around the same mark as the other guys?

The bulldog tragician
24-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Age article notes "Brett Ratten has indicated he wants to remain at Hawthorn next season"
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/suns-warming-to-serious-eade-bid-20141022-11a5ux.html

Another one regarding Bomber Thompson interesting too
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hird-will-coach-while-thompson-in-limbo-20141022-11a67h.html

Would we want Bomber? (I'd say yes, although as some have indicated he may not want to coach Dogs straight after BMac and possibly would not want to coach us at all anyway).

If he was interested though....what could worst case consequence from ASADA case be if he is our head coach?

Leigh Tudor looking promising. Does anyone know who we have/will be interviewing?

There are increasing media references to Bomber and 'erratic' behaviour. I know Caroline Wilson is not everyone's cup of tea but in a recent article she used words like 'dishevelled' and 'unstable.' Apparently his much-reported job 'application' speech at the B&F was seen as bizarre in the circumstances. When you add these kinds of hints to the fact that as dual premiership coach is suddenly falling from the radar of all these jobs, you'd have to say Buyer Beware.

Apart from that, I have to say in general I feel very toey about the coach appointment. I feel we just can't get this one wrong. Two or three years of someone who isn't the right fit could stall the kids development and open us up further to a talent raid if we're not progressing. I really hope we nail this appointment, it's a really crucial one.

azabob
24-10-2014, 11:16 AM
There are increasing media references to Bomber and 'erratic' behaviour. I know Caroline Wilson is not everyone's cup of tea but in a recent article she used words like 'dishevelled' and 'unstable.' Apparently his much-reported job 'application' speech at the B&F was seen as bizarre in the circumstances. When you add these kinds of hints to the fact that as dual premiership coach is suddenly falling from the radar of all these jobs, you'd have to say Buyer Beware.

Apart from that, I have to say in general I feel very toey about the coach appointment. I feel we just can't get this one wrong. Two or three years of someone who isn't the right fit could stall the kids development and open us up further to a talent raid if we're not progressing. I really hope we nail this appointment, it's a really crucial one.

The concern I have, is there is no standout choice such as Eade back then. I fear we have been spooked and should've waited another 12 mths at least.

westdog54
24-10-2014, 11:27 AM
It's a pity Chris Maple is so far off the pace. Why? He has a good understanding of our list, is a very even keeled guy, seemingly liked by our playing group.

Disagree. He's got plenty of time on his side and is doing well with his development role at the moment. If I were him I wouldn't be rushing into a senior appointment.

bornadog
24-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Somthing to consider in this article:

AFL psychologist Jenny Williams calls for mandatory coach reviews

http://www.theage.com.au/content/dam/images/1/1/a/w/d/3/image.related.articleLeadNarrow.300x0.119f5a.png/1414069208114.jpg
Incompatible : Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney talks to captain Ryan Griffen. Photo: Getty Images

The recent Ryan Griffen-Brendan McCartney fallout at the Western Bulldogs will become the norm if football clubs do not improve their coach selection standards, according to a leading sports psychologist Jenny Williams.
The coach management and player welfare support psychologist, who is accredited with the AFL Coaches Association, believes the integrity of clubs will suffer if performance reviews and mentoring for coaches do not become mandatory and if player welfare services continue to be neglected.

The daughter of legendary South Australian player and coach "Fos" Williams and sister of AFL premiership coach Mark said coach selection is often driven by "rumoured reputation" rather than proven skill, while a widespread failure to effectively scrutinise head coaches has resulted in "destroyed" careers for players without sufficient recourse to manage leadership tensions.
In an interview with Fairfax Media after her presentation at a recent AFL Coaches Association conference, Williams refused to give examples of specific coaching successes and failures due to confidentiality laws. But she suggested that 30 per cent of players who are drafted, but never play in the AFL, are potential victims of coaching inadequacy - that is, where a coach's failure "to look at all of the alternatives" for the player could stunt their future prospects.
"If you're a player, you're getting feedback along the way," she said. "So why aren't coaches finding out about their coaching through expert, ongoing mentoring?

"There is an urgent need to ensure clubs are evaluating their coaches during the coaching term, so they don't wait until the end of the season and say: 'oh that coach is terrible, let's kick him out'. Because meanwhile, you've lost seven good athletes who can't cope with their coach," she said.
Williams suggested "leadership programs" foisted on players can be stressful and demanding, putting strain both on the leader and the team.
"Griffen was struggling with leadership, and if people are struggling with leadership and are put in a leadership position, as a psychologist, I would often say I would prefer you to go back to being a player and get a handle of how you're feeling and when you feel confident, take baby steps back to leadership again," she said.

Williams said anxiety was endemic in sports and manifested in player performance, echoing calls from beyondblue for increased awareness of mental health issues in the AFL.
"These players look like a god on the outside, but they're shattered on the inside. Players are too often put down in front of groups … so I say at the end of the year, if this continues, perhaps it's time to change teams ... to look at where they are going to feel and play better and most importantly, we look at the skills of the new coach."

Free agency, she conceded, may hinder the "loyalty factory" in football, but it was one positive solution for disenchanted players.
"If someone is desperately unhappy they can go somewhere where they can get more for themselves. Of course, that's a good thing."
Williams says the multiple roles imposed on modern-day sports coaches - including media management, analysing hundreds of statistics and dealing with new systems, such as free agency - make it harder for coaches to bond with players and engage with their team on matters beyond the field.
"People fall into this trap of judging a coach based on whether they're winning or losing … but it's what you don't see that counts," she said.

The AFL Players' Association outlines a series of coach-performance review tools that are available to clubs, but performance checks are an "internal club decision".

westdog54
24-10-2014, 11:41 AM

Thanks for that. Interesting reading.

The bulldog tragician
24-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Thanks for that. Interesting reading.

That's fascinating.

By the way, another article, this time Rohan Connolly, about Bomber's mental state: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/-11apx8.html

Rocket Science
24-10-2014, 11:51 AM
The concern I have, is there is no standout choice such as Eade back then. I fear we have been spooked and should've waited another 12 mths at least.

Tend to agree with this. With most of the apparent discontents moved on, the rationale in doing likewise with McCartney's still a bit lost on me, and cost us some industry-wide respect. He deserved more rope with the properly refashioned list.

As to Bomber, no doubting he's idiosyncratic but also a disciple of the crazy like a fox school of coaching. I'd consider Blight and Williams fellow alumni.

Whether that approach suits a young, as yet fully-formed list though is an interesting question.

whythelongface
24-10-2014, 12:15 PM

Thanks for that BAD. Good read and true. One of McCartney's strengths was apparently in his teaching ability, however there appear to have been issues in his general communication in particular with the older players - maybe he was demeaning towards them - who knows.

In regards to Griffen a number of supporters (myself included) were quick to criticise him for his decision to leave the club (in particular the manner in which he did) but as this article points out, the burden of leadership may well have weighed down heavily on him and made him depressed. He may not have known how this would have impacted him until taking the role on and then when it did start to weigh him down it may well have been to late for him to do anything about it, or he may not have sought help as he felt that this would be a sign of weakness.

jeemak
24-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Interesting on Thompson. While I don't think he would ever have been a contender for our club's position, it seems he's not putting it together personally.

jeemak
24-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Thanks for that BAD. Good read and true. One of McCartney's strengths was apparently in his teaching ability, however there appear to have been issues in his general communication in particular with the older players - maybe he was demeaning towards them - who knows.

In regards to Griffen a number of supporters (myself included) were quick to criticise him for his decision to leave the club (in particular the manner in which he did) but as this article points out, the burden of leadership may well have weighed down heavily on him and made him depressed. He may not have known how this would have impacted him until taking the role on and then when it did start to weigh him down it may well have been to late for him to do anything about it, or he may not have sought help as he felt that this would be a sign of weakness.

It should be noted that it's been acknowledged that McCartney didn't have any communication issues until the second half of the 2014 season, funnily enough coinciding with issues raised with under performing senior players and seemingly a few younger players.

There's some very good points in the article, the better side of me would prefer to think Jenny Williams has some specific insight into the issues at the Bulldogs and isn't generalising based on anecdotal evidence. The other side of me isn't that generous.

bornadog
24-10-2014, 12:33 PM
It should be noted that it's been acknowledged that McCartney didn't have any communication issues until the second half of the 2014 season, funnily enough coinciding with issues raised with under performing senior players and seemingly a few younger players.

There's some very good points in the article, the better side of me would prefer to think Jenny Williams has some specific insight into the issues at the Bulldogs and isn't generalising based on anecdotal evidence. The other side of me isn't that generous.

To me something has gone astray that we don't really know about and don't have the full story. I think to sack a coach with two years left on his contract, there must have been some major concerns by the club.

GVGjr
24-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Interesting on Thompson. While I don't think he would ever have been a contender for our club's position, it seems he's not putting it together personally.

He has always been regarded as an eccentric type. Good sense of humour not not necessarily the type that lives and breathes football which you would think is a requirement for a top coach. I gather the Cats put an outstanding team around him.
Handles the media well but I don't think he would be the right fit for us.

I'm still struggling to work out who should be our coach. There are positives and negative with nearly every candidate.

dog town
24-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Surprised we haven't heard any leaks yet. Usually by now you have at least heard the main candidates. Occasionally a journo with good info will break ranks and suggest someone is in the box seat.

Bulldog4life
24-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Surprised we haven't heard any leaks yet. Usually by now you have at least heard the main candidates. Occasionally a journo with good info will break ranks and suggest someone is in the box seat.

Yes thinking the same thing.

jeemak
24-10-2014, 01:08 PM
To me something has gone astray that we don't really know about and don't have the full story. I think to sack a coach with two years left on his contract, there must have been some major concerns by be club.

Yet they reviewed the situation and decided to keep him on - until Griffen was coaxed away from the club and the spotlight of leadership.

I think in hindsight it was a poor decision by McCartney and the Club to appoint Griffen as captain. Hopefully we learn from it and ensure we appoint a leader who wants to take on the rigours and responsibility of the role.

Twodogs
24-10-2014, 01:22 PM
I havent read the artcle but is it written by the same Jenny Williams who was/is married to Mark Williams?

Bulldog4life
24-10-2014, 01:24 PM
I havent read the artcle but is it written by the same Jenny Williams who was/is married to Mark Williams?

His sister.

jeemak
24-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Mark Williams married his sister?

Bulldog4life
24-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Mark Williams married his sister?

Not quite.

Jenny Williams (born 11 January 1957) is a South Australian sportsperson ... She is the daughter of Fos Williams, and the sister of Mark and Stephen Williams.

jeemak
24-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Yeah I know mate, thanks.

Ghost Dog
24-10-2014, 02:53 PM
He probably doesn't have the required background. Why do you think he should be regarded around the same mark as the other guys?
Scott west is pretty short odds compared to Maple, which is a surprise.
I've heard Maple speak to the players and I thought he was quite good. Got us our first premiership in the VFL. I know people will point out how different VFL is compared to AFL, but Brendan hadn't even coached a single VFL game let alone a premiership and we let him in the door.

Secondly, I would have thought his connections with the club are a pretty good background, understanding our playing list so well, and having already worked with many of our seniors. Is this a disadvantage? Not coming in with fresh eyes?

In short, to me there isn't a stand out applicant at the moment. So why not get someone for a year who we know will do a solid job, continue the theme that Brendan laid out and wait until a blue chip coach is ready?

Bulldog4life
24-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Yeah I know mate, thanks.

Knew you did.:)

Twodogs
24-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys.

Bulldog4life
24-10-2014, 07:29 PM
I would assume that Ratten's price came in when Darcy was appointed to the coaching panel. Shortly before his appointment he was quoted in the HUN saying he thought the Bulldogs should appoint Ratten.

Just realized it was Dempsey not Darcy who was quoted.

MrMahatma
25-10-2014, 12:23 AM
I've heard Maple speak to the players and I thought he was quite good. Got us our first premiership in the VFL. I know people will point out how different VFL is compared to AFL, but Brendan hadn't even coached a single VFL game let alone a premiership and we let him in the door.

Secondly, I would have thought his connections with the club are a pretty good background, understanding our playing list so well, and having already worked with many of our seniors. Is this a disadvantage? Not coming in with fresh eyes?

In short, to me there isn't a stand out applicant at the moment. So why not get someone for a year who we know will do a solid job, continue the theme that Brendan laid out and wait until a blue chip coach is ready?

I honestly can't believe Scott West is even in the top 25 candidates. What's he been up to?

FrediKanoute
25-10-2014, 02:34 AM

That strategy rarely works. For starters why would maple take the job to be replaced in 12 months time? From a players perspective are you really going to listen to the message of a guy who doesn't have tenure beyond the end of next year.

Remi Moses
25-10-2014, 03:01 AM
Don't think Scotty West is any chance to be honest.
I'm totally against an intrem coach, that will not happen.

ledge
25-10-2014, 08:17 AM
I think it's between Tudor and Monty

Bulldog Revolution
25-10-2014, 08:44 AM

They'd be two prime candidates

Do you think Luke Beveridge would be in the mix also? and perhaps Sumich given that Worsfold is on the panel?

chef
25-10-2014, 09:52 AM

Would love Monty to get it.

GVGjr
25-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Would love Monty to get it.

Why do you think he would be the best candidate?

chef
25-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Why do you think he would be the best candidate?

I'm not going to claim to be an expert or anything, I seriously have no idea about who'd be best for the job.

Just a fan of Monty's, has Bulldog blood, has premiership experience, is popular with the playing group, was assistant of the year(whatever that means) and comes across as someone who can sell our product.

ledge
25-10-2014, 10:20 AM
I would say 3
reasons 1 . He knows where we are at and the players etc
2 he was voted best assistant and the players are very glowing of him from what I've heard.
3 he is in a good position with regards to experience as an assistant, maybe it's time.

soupman
25-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Playing devils advocate.

1. He has only worked underneath 3 coaches, and the only one of them that has experienced any success as a senior coach was the briefest time he spent with one.
2. Has he coached in finals? None of the sides he has been assistant to have been very successful IIRC
3. Was he too close to McCartney, and thus tainted with the same brush
4. Considering half our issues are apparently from a poor culture, is it a good idea to appoint someone who has spent the majority of their career at the Bulldogs as a player and coach

To me his CV is not particularly impressive, it isn't varied or successful or spent with quality coaches. He comes across as a crowd pleaser appointment to me rather than the best candidate.

BulldogBelle
25-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Playing devils advocate.

1. He has only worked underneath 3 coaches, and the only one of them that has experienced any success as a senior coach was the briefest time he spent with one.
2. Has he coached in finals? None of the sides he has been assistant to have been very successful IIRC
4. Considering half our issues are apparently from a poor culture, is it a good idea to appoint someone who has spent the majority of their career at the Bulldogs as a player and coach

To me his CV is not particularly impressive, it isn't varied or successful or spent with quality coaches. He comes across as a crowd pleaser appointment to me rather than the best candidate.

You have brought up some very valid reasons why Monty should not be the coach. Your point 4 and crowd pleaser are the ones that concern me the most. l would prefer someone from outside the club.

But l am no expert.

soupman
25-10-2014, 12:03 PM
You have brought up some very valid reasons why Monty should not be the coach. Your point 4 and crowd pleaser are the ones that concern me the most. l would prefer someone from outside the club.

But l am no expert.

Me neither:)

chef
25-10-2014, 12:15 PM

But l am no expert.

I'm not sure Monty would be a crowd pleaser judging by this thread.

GVGjr
25-10-2014, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure Monty would be a crowd pleaser judging by this thread.

I think Monty has good support on the thread.

While I know this is a critical appointment, I still have no firm view on who should be coach.
None of the candidates really stand out to me.

I'd probably prefer an experienced guy but it all comes down to who has the best and most realistic vision for a turnaround.

What we can't do is sell a rebuild, a refresh or a 'teaching the players how to play' approach to the supporters. We have done that.
With the quality of our youngsters I'd want the next appointment to say that we will be very competitive but 2016 and then we need to hold him to that.

ledge
25-10-2014, 12:50 PM
I think we will be competitive next year if all The so called senior problems are gone, look at the GC game we won by 5 goals and the players who have gone none played.
Another ore season with the kids a new coach and it all can turn roses very quick.
Natural improvement will see us better anyway.

Dry Rot
25-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Playing devils advocate.

Good summation. He was an important part of a coaching and footy dept cluster **** this year.

Clear them all out, and replace them with new guys from other clubs NB the coach.

FWIW I hope we get experience with Williams.

Remi Moses
25-10-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm not going to claim to be an expert or anything, I seriously have no idea about who'd be best for the job.

Just a fan of Monty's, has Bulldog blood, has premiership experience, is popular with the playing group, was assistant of the year(whatever that means) and comes across as someone who can sell our product.

I'm so sick of hearing bulldog blood, bleeds red white and blue, it's like some badge of honor and is totally irrelevant .
Pick the best coach according to a criteria set, and not let sentiment cloud the decision .
I'd like to know what Brett Motgomery was doing while these communication issues were occurring?

Dry Rot
25-10-2014, 04:37 PM
I'd like to know what Brett Motgomery was doing while these communication issues were occurring?

Agreed.

And his role in team selections.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-10-2014, 04:41 PM
It's impossible to know who is and isn't a good candidate.

It would be great to be able to sit in on a few of the potential coach presentations.

bornadog
25-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Reading through the thread, I think we are all very nervous, particularly when a whole lot of very good assistants were promoted over the past three seasons to senior roles and they are all gone. Macca, Sanderson, Watters, Neeld.

We wait with bated breath.

https://forum-s3.pinside.com/201209/418337/44940.jpg

The bulldog tragician
25-10-2014, 06:41 PM
I'm so sick of hearing bulldog blood, bleeds red white and blue, it's like some badge of honor and is totally irrelevant .
Pick the best coach according to a criteria set, and not let sentiment cloud the decision .

I think Monty's response to that question would be a key factor in whether he's the right guy.

Apart from a perhaps irrational dislike of Sumich, I haven't got a clue who'd be the best candidate, but with where we are at , a 'bold' left field appointment would be a big risk, so solid experience is essential. we'd already have a pretty good idea of what Monty offers, which is in his favour. There doesn't seem to be a standout candidate, so will be interesting to see who emerges.

chef
25-10-2014, 08:01 PM

no ones saying it should be a relevant reason to chose a coach(obviously we all want the best available coach no matter where he's from), just would be something a little extra for us romantics.

ratsmac
25-10-2014, 09:18 PM
The more I think about it I think the club should go all out and get Bomber Thompson. I personally don't think of him much as a bloke but as a coach his record speaks for itself.
I know he squashed rumours about the Adelaide job because of his friendship with Sanderson, so why would he consider the bulldogs for the same reason? Well Adelaide sacked Sanderson whereas McCartney resigned because he had lost the players. This is a totally different situation. I can't see Macca being too upset if Bomber took over his work with how everything has panned out.
I think our list is at the perfect stage for Bomber to come in and take them to the next level. McCartney has already put in place the ground work for a Bomber Thompson style team.
I think the Bulldogs would be mad not to try lure Bomber. Bulldog Thompson has a better ring to to it than Bomber Thompson anywho.

ledge
25-10-2014, 10:26 PM
Bomber Thompson is pretty much out of the question I think , reports of him going a bit strange and erratic in the paper the other day,strange contradictory speech and actions lately.

Webby
25-10-2014, 11:00 PM
I heard a reliable whisper about Bomber about 4 or 5 months ago which really, really gobsmacked me. I think we need to mitigate against risk and look elsewhere. He left himself wide open to being elbowed out of the picture at Essendon - even with Hird's obvious problems... If you think it's bizarre that Hird clung onto his job despite the calamitous environment, you might find that there's a bit lurking in the background in his rival's space... That's as much as I'll say about that.

All the talk about untried coaches is garbage, anyway. Roos was untried prior to coaching the Swans to a flag. Ditto Longmire, ditto Worsfold, Williams, Clarkson, Scott... Thompson himself! There'll be another bunch of premiership coaches in the coming ten years who will have been untried prior to winning it... Let's make one of them ours. I don't want washed up hand me downs.

Avoid the rush
25-10-2014, 11:36 PM
I heard a reliable whisper about Bomber about 4 or 5 months ago which really, really gobsmacked me. I think we need to mitigate against risk and look elsewhere. He left himself wide open to being elbowed out of the picture at Essendon - even with Hird's obvious problems... If you think it's bizarre that Hird clung onto his job despite the calamitous environment, you might find that there's a bit lurking in the background in his rival's space... That's as much as I'll say about that.

All the talk about untried coaches is garbage, anyway. Roos was untried prior to coaching the Swans to a flag. Ditto Longmire, ditto Worsfold, Williams, Clarkson, Scott... Thompson himself! There'll be another bunch of premiership coaches in the coming ten years who will have been untried prior to winning it... Let's make one of them ours. I don't want washed up hand me downs.

I think most of us have heard Bombers' downsides including persistent rumours , stench of cheating , aroma of essendon et el , so all this considered and knowing every other person mentioned , would it not be a smart move to get a tried and true smart, media savvy, players man who we know can do the job with initials R.E. (new board, new pres. , new players )..just sayin

Twodogs
25-10-2014, 11:47 PM
Thanks for pulling up Webby.

Can we just stick to Bomber's footy side. Lets leave the off field at that for now please?

azabob
26-10-2014, 12:12 AM

Can we just stick to Bomber's footy side. Lets leave the off field at that for now please?

Surely they are related, especially if it impacts his ability to do the job required!

jeemak
26-10-2014, 12:25 AM
Delete Webby's post if it's an issue.

If there's an aspect of his personality that is being tiptoed around because it's too much for this site to handle then have a blanket rule, rather than have something half arsed put on the table and everyone questioning it.

Webby
26-10-2014, 01:20 AM

I hear you, but the point I am making is that a coach's role is off field. Coaches don't kick or catch the footy. At least at AFL level, anyway. If a player gets 40 touches and kicks five goals per game, then club can put up with certain issues. They're one of 40 odd players and likely worth the hassle. However a coach is at the very centre of standard setting at a club, Therefore a coach's behaviour and lifestyle off the field and the influence that has on a club is absolutely relevant, IMO. If the coach's behaviour is erratic and unreliable, and they're incoherently rambling and acting bizarrely, then there's generally an underlying reason and a huge element of risk in going down the track of engaging them.

The Essendon Football Club as a whole have been under a huge amount of pressure for two years now. I think some of them definitely need a rest! Bomber Thompson is clearly a vert smart, talented football guy. However, from what I can gather, he definitely needs a break.

ratsmac
26-10-2014, 09:30 AM
Ok I am confused. I must be the only person that doesn't know what is going on with Bomber behind closed doors. I heard rumours back in the Geelong days but he coached them to 2 premierships (probably 3 considering Scott rode in on Bombers coattails) since then. I don't care to know his dirty laundry for that matter. However what I do care about is the Western Bulldogs football club and IF Bomber Thompson is a risk of being a cancerous growth amongst our club, then I agree we have to cross him off the list. We have enough of our own murmurings ATM to worry about. If it's true about Bomber being unstable and needing a break, it's unfortunate because he has a great football brain and would be good for our club.

GVGjr
26-10-2014, 10:30 AM
As far as I know Thompson isn't being interviewed for a job with us. There is no need for further speculation on Thompson with regards to coaching us.

The Underdog
26-10-2014, 10:32 AM
As far as I know Thompson isn't being interviewed for a job with us. There is no need for further speculation on Thompson with regards to coaching us.

Do we have any sort of definitive idea of who is being interviewed? Monty is an obvious one but I don't think I've actually seen anything more than speculation about other candidates.

azabob
26-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Do we have any sort of definitive idea of who is being interviewed? Monty is an obvious one but I don't think I've actually seen anything more than speculation about other candidates.

Nope, Which is kind of weird it hadn't leaked out.

The Underdog
26-10-2014, 11:45 AM

Yeah, I'm still trying to work out if it's a good or bad thing

KT31
26-10-2014, 12:09 PM

Fair bit of talk about interviews with Ratten and Tudor last week, I think once the interviews actually start we will hear a lot more speculation about the candidates.
Interesting to see both Monty and Ratten at $2.50 with Sports Bet, but the outrages one is James Hird at $41 ( the club and Woof would rightly go into meltdown if this ever occurred.)

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/australian-rules/next-western-bulldogs-coach?LeftNav (http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/australian-rules/next-western-bulldogs-coach?

LeftNav)

Bulldog4life
26-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Fair bit of talk about interviews with Ratten and Tudor last week, I think once the interviews actually start we will hear a lot more speculation about the candidates.
Interesting to see both Monty and Ratten at $2.50 with Sports Bet, but the outrages one is James Hird at $41 ( the club and Woof would rightly go into meltdown if this ever occurred.)

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/australian-rules/next-western-bulldogs-coach?LeftNav (http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/australian-rules/next-western-bulldogs-coach?

LeftNav)

Sportsbet even had Ryan Griffen at $41!:eek:

ledge
26-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Didn't Ratten say he was staying at the Hawks?

azabob
26-10-2014, 02:00 PM

Yep, that is what I read.

azabob
26-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Not sure its a good sign for our club when coaches decided to stay in their current role, rather than put their hand up, such as Dew or Ratten.

Unless they have been told on the quiet, thanks, but no thanks.

Bulldog4life
26-10-2014, 02:14 PM

I read that Ratten was staying at the Hawks in relation to the Gold Coast coaching appointment. Whether he feels that way in regards to a Melbourne based team time will tell.

F'scary
26-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Whoever gets the job, I hope they make the time to have a good chat with BMac because that is a lot of knowledge on the last 3 years that has just walked out the door.

Rocket Science
26-10-2014, 05:45 PM
What are BMac's odds?

Because I'm struggling to identify a clearly better available option out there.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-10-2014, 07:07 PM
What are BMac's odds?

Because I'm struggling to identify a clearly better available option out there.

There is little doubt that the strange decision by Griffen to walk away from the Club led to Macca's demise. As a Club we haven't been very professional when you add the poaching of Tom Boyd from his contract as well. With regards a new Coach you would hope that there is another Clarkson or Hinkley type out there that can help resurrect our fortunes and help restore back respect of the WB in the competition. Strong on field leadership and Board governance are major requirements.

Jeanette54
26-10-2014, 07:32 PM
There is little doubt that the strange decision by Griffen to walk away from the Club led to Macca's demise. As a Club we haven't been very professional when you add the poaching of Tom Boyd from his contract as well. With regards a new Coach you would hope that there is another Clarkson or Hinkley type out there that can help resurrect our fortunes and help restore back respect of the WB in the competition. Strong on field leadership and Board governance are major requirements.

I wouldn't be averse to seeing B-Mac reconsider, or one from left field...... Neil Craig.

mjp
26-10-2014, 09:31 PM
Wow.

First Brett Ratten on the list and now Neil Craig.

If we are trying to make sure we go from the worlds simplest game plan (if you are happy to say that win the ball at the contest and hack it forward randomly is a game plan) to the most complicated then we are identifying the right candidates.

I actually think Ratten will have a bit to offer in the future but spending some more time with Clarkson will be a good thing. If you compare what was going on at Carlton with Ratten in charge with what has happened at Hawthorn with Clarkson and what is developing at West Coast with Simpson then it really is chalk and cheese...Even Lyon - for all the talk - is all about simple concepts and structures though his are quite counter- to what most players have been doing since u-8's and therefore take a bit of time to learn.

Simple terminology, simple (and clear) structures, players with the ability to make changes on the fly based on concepts as simple as 'balance'...these things are MILES away from the Voss @ Brisbane and Ratten @ Carlton models with fixed structures for every 'zone' of the field and rigid setups...Worsfold has good visibility of all of this and I am sure will give an outsiders view - and that of an outside with very recent coaching success - of what we need to move forward.

LongWait
27-10-2014, 10:53 AM
Wow.

First Brett Ratten on the list and now Neil Craig.

If we are trying to make sure we go from the worlds simplest game plan (if you are happy to say that win the ball at the contest and hack it forward randomly is a game plan) to the most complicated then we are identifying the right candidates.

I actually think Ratten will have a bit to offer in the future but spending some more time with Clarkson will be a good thing. If you compare what was going on at Carlton with Ratten in charge with what has happened at Hawthorn with Clarkson and what is developing at West Coast with Simpson then it really is chalk and cheese...Even Lyon - for all the talk - is all about simple concepts and structures though his are quite counter- to what most players have been doing since u-8's and therefore take a bit of time to learn.

Simple terminology, simple (and clear) structures, players with the ability to make changes on the fly based on concepts as simple as 'balance'...these things are MILES away from the Voss @ Brisbane and Ratten @ Carlton models with fixed structures for every 'zone' of the field and rigid setups...Worsfold has good visibility of all of this and I am sure will give an outsiders view - and that of an outside with very recent coaching success - of what we need to move forward.

I'm warming to the idea of Sumich as coach - how do you rate him MJP? You've probably seen and heard more of him that us east coasters.

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 11:31 AM
You would think Monti would be no chance following the smearing he his received since B Mac's departure.

I'm pretty keen on Rattan, he had the player and supporter buy - in at the blues, just didn't have the cattle. He would be a less controversial decision to a lot, and I think we need that at the moment as a club. Also had a really great playing career that didn't finish too long ago, I think that is important as our young blokes will have respect for that. I imagine it's easier to get some of the harder points across when you have been there and done it yourself, which unfortunately for Macca wasn't the case.

Axe Man
27-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Western Bulldogs and Gold Coast Suns taking their time to find right man for next coaching job (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-and-gold-coast-suns-taking-their-time-to-find-right-man-for-next-coaching-job/story-fndv7pj3-1227102728236)

THE Western Bulldogs and Gold Coast remain unhurried in the search for a new coach, with the Dogs yet to formally interview a candidate.
The Suns sacked Guy McKenna at the start of October, while Brendan McCartney was forced to quit 16 days ago.
Both clubs are some way from making an appointment, but it’s understood the Suns will this week move into the second round of interviews after Hawthorn assistant Brendon Bolton was one of six to be interviewed last week.
Gold Coast’s younger players report for pre-season training on November 5, but while Suns officials would like a new coach in place to welcome them, it isn’t a deadline date.
Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick said that his club was in no hurry either.
“While we appropriately take the time that is required for such a critical decision, the process to appoint the next Western Bulldogs coach is well under way and we are happy with the progress to date,” Garlick said.

GVGjr
27-10-2014, 11:35 AM
What would be the positives or negatives about a Brendan Bolton appointment?

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 12:12 PM

Positive - He'll have a big smile on his face.

Negative - I'll probably want to slap it off him after the first presser!

Twodogs
27-10-2014, 12:37 PM
You would think Monti would be no chance following the smearing he his received since B Mac's departure.

Id like to know why Monty is copping a smear campaign. Smear campaigns don't just happen.

I'm pretty keen on Rattan, he had the player and supporter buy - in at the blues, just didn't have the cattle. He would be a less controversial decision to a lot, and I think we need that at the moment as a club. Also had a really great playing career that didn't finish too long ago, I think that is important as our young blokes will have respect for that. I imagine it's easier to get some of the harder points across when you have been there and done it yourself, which unfortunately for Macca wasn't the case.

I was thinking that some of the guys on our list might have played on him. But only Murph is left. Ratten retired in 2003. Where did that decade go?

GVGjr
27-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Do we need to follow what Melbourne has done and make two appointments? An experienced senior coach to get us on track and a good assistant coach to transition to the position in 2 years.

Greystache
27-10-2014, 12:39 PM

Postive- He's popular with the media, he's come from a winning culture, he's been involved in premierships so will get a decent grace period.

Negative- He could get annoying quickly if we keep losing, he didn't play AFL so bogans will write him off immediately, he doesn't seem to have a particularly strong presence about him.

bornadog
27-10-2014, 01:13 PM
From the Hun:

Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick said that his club was in no hurry either.
“While we appropriately take the time that is required for such a critical decision, the process to appoint the next Western Bulldogs coach is well under way and we are happy with the progress to date,” Garlick said.

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Postive- He's popular with the media, he's come from a winning culture, he's been involved in premierships so will get a decent grace period.

Negative- He could get annoying quickly if we keep losing, he didn't play AFL so bogans will write him off immediately, he doesn't seem to have a particularly strong presence about him.

My thoughts exactly

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Id like to know why Monty is copping a smear campaign. Smear campaigns don't just happen.

I was thinking that some of the guys on our list might have played on him. But only Murph is left. Ratten retired in 2003. Where did that decade go?

Absolutely was thinking that on the weekend that it's been 10 years since Savabeel won the Cox Plate, feels like yesterday. Time indeed does fly!

Even so as an 9-11 year olds these guys would've known Ratts, probably can't remember watching him, but certainly would know the name and that he was captain of the blues, would still have an aura about him IMO. Tom Boyd would certainly know all bout him!

chef
27-10-2014, 02:02 PM

You would hope we don't give a stuff about the shit those morons are saying in the press and if he's deemed the best he gets chosen on merit.

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 02:19 PM
You would hope we don't give a stuff about the shit those morons are saying in the press and if he's deemed the best he gets chosen on merit.

I agree, but I don't know if the club can handle the blowtorch that would be applied should Monti get the gig. It is all just a bit too close to home.

IMO Monti starts with a negative weighting due to this, if he is still ahead of his competition after this weighting is applied then go for it. I personally would like to see a fresh face in the place, it all got a bit cancerous, and I would think a head coach with no previous input would have the best chance at galvanizing the playing group.

Templeton31
27-10-2014, 02:48 PM
Why isn't Chocco Williams being talked about more? His record is first class and so many proteges out there coaching. Has a real presence too which I think would be good for us. Sumich could be a goer too. For mine though I really don't know enough about Bolton, Tudor and other assistants who seem to be flavour of the month at the moment. Could be a beauty like Clarkson but also could be another first timer who has a few years but it doesn't work out - Neeld, Macca, Sanderson etc

Templeton31
27-10-2014, 02:52 PM
THought about it some more….Chocco wouldn't need to spend a year learning how to be a head coach and he seems to have high standards like macca did/does. I feel like I could trust with Chocco that if we don't win the flag with this group under him then it was because we weren't good enough. If we don't win the flag with this group under a first time coach then I would wonder whether it was because the coach wasn't up to it.

GVGjr
27-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Why isn't Chocco Williams being talked about more? His record is first class and so many proteges out there coaching. Has a real presence too which I think would be good for us. Sumich could be a goer too. For mine though I really don't know enough about Bolton, Tudor and other assistants who seem to be flavour of the month at the moment. Could be a beauty like Clarkson but also could be another first timer who has a few years but it doesn't work out - Neeld, Macca, Sanderson etc

Williams would be an interesting appointment. An experienced and successful coach who has focused on development of players over the last few years,. If he has the passion to be a senior coach he would be worth interviewing.

Remi Moses
27-10-2014, 02:58 PM
I don't think it will be Williams.
Been out of the head coach role for a while now and seems content in his current role.
Ratten's stated he'll stay at Hawthorn, and I think Tudor or Sumich would be a big chance.

Cyberdoggie
27-10-2014, 03:19 PM
I don't think it will be Williams.
Been out of the head coach role for a while now and seems content in his current role.
Ratten's stated he'll stay at Hawthorn, and I think Tudor or Sumich would be a big chance.

That is the done thing though. You can't see your interested and not get the job because not only would you lose your current job but you lose your value if you have been overlooked.

Expect to hear all potential candidates say that they are content where they are or they are not really interested or they haven't spoken to the club etc.

lemmon
27-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Is the state of Port Adelaide's list post Mark Williams a concern? Primus cops a lot of flak but didn't have much to work with early on , admittedly Port had been up for a while though

Remi Moses
27-10-2014, 03:59 PM
That is the done thing though. You can't see your interested and not get the job because not only would you lose your current job but you lose your value if you have been overlooked.

Expect to hear all potential candidates say that they are content where they are or they are not really interested or they haven't spoken to the club etc.
Wouldn't think it would effect his tenure at Richmond .
As it wouldn't for Tudor or Sumich

jeemak
27-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Is the state of Port Adelaide's list post Mark Williams a concern? Primus cops a lot of flak but didn't have much to work with early on , admittedly Port had been up for a while though

Port were a terribly structured and governed club at the time, much like we were in a lot of ways post Eade (football department specific comment - not a dig at the overall running of the club).

You would hope we now have a process in place where we don't allow the coach an opportunity to run the list in the ground irresponsibly.

KT31
27-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Port were a terribly structured and governed club at the time, much like we were in a lot of ways post Eade (football department specific comment - not a dig at the overall running of the club).

You would hope we now have a process in place where we don't allow the coach an opportunity to run the list in the ground irresponsibly.

I know there was history and words said but I'm not to sure it was a good look for the Coach to have a dig at the major sponsor when accepting the Premiership Cup.

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Leigh Tudor.

F'scary
27-10-2014, 08:25 PM
The good thing about appointing Tudor would be a ready made headline:

The Tudor Dynasty

Pedro Sanchez
27-10-2014, 08:44 PM
My preference is leaning to one of Tudor, Monty or Suma. I reckon the latter would coach Boyd pretty well being a past 100+ goal kicking full forward for the Eagles. I also have a feel that he is ready to be given a crack, much like Ken at Port was…

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Williams would be an interesting appointment. An experienced and successful coach who has focused on development of players over the last few years,. If he has the passion to be a senior coach he would be worth interviewing.

I am leaning towards a new first time coach like a Clarkson or Hinkley who can be there for the long haul. Compared to the depth of talent at both Hawthorn and Port Adelaide we still have a long way to go towards building a quality side able to match it consistently with the top teams. Leigh Tudor may well be that person. My hope is that the selection Committee appointed to select the new coach gets it right as the decision is absolutely critical towards our future success.

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 10:55 PM
I know there was history and words said but I'm not to sure it was a good look for the Coach to have a dig at the major sponsor when accepting the Premiership Cup.

I couldn't care what he said as he accepted our Premiership Cup. I want Choco. Spite is the best motivator and we have tons of it. This time he can have a dig at the AFL after he just killed their machine.

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 11:15 PM
The good thing about appointing Tudor would be a ready made headline:

The Tudor Dynasty

Or we could poach Wayne Carey from the media and start the duck dynasty!

bornadog
27-10-2014, 11:49 PM
Mckenna set to take on a role with the AFL so he is ruled out.

LostDog
27-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Choco Williams got a very young Port Adelaide into a Grand Final in 2007 I think it was against Geelong, no one saw that coming that year

Throughandthrough
28-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Choco Williams got a very young Port Adelaide into a Grand Final in 2007 I think it was against Geelong, no one saw that coming that year
Great coach but the win wasn't really a surprise. They were minor premiers the year before (maybe?) and played in Two or three prelim finals in a row as well (maybe?). I believe that over a three year period, up to and including 2007, they won more afl matches than any other team in the comp. I'd be pretty happy if Williams was appointed coach

LostDoggy
28-10-2014, 12:20 AM

They got beat by 119 points! Still better than we have done for 50+ years!

Twodogs
28-10-2014, 01:53 AM
Great coach but the win wasn't really a surprise. They were minor premiers the year before (maybe?) and played in Two or three prelim finals in a row as well (maybe?). I believe that over a three year period, up to and including 2007, they won more afl matches than any other team in the comp. I'd be pretty happy if Williams was appointed coach

They got beat by 119 points! Still better than we have done for 50+ years!

They won the flag in 2004 but you're right they made the GF in 2007.

GVGjr
28-10-2014, 09:29 AM
I am leaning towards a new first time coach like a Clarkson or Hinkley who can be there for the long haul. Compared to the depth of talent at both Hawthorn and Port Adelaide we still have a long way to go towards building a quality side able to match it consistently with the top teams. Leigh Tudor may well be that person. My hope is that the selection Committee appointed to select the new coach gets it right as the decision is absolutely critical towards our future success.

In recent times for Bulldogs coaches, Wallace, Rohde and McCartney were all first appointment coaches with Rohde and McCartney split by Eade.
Based on that we need someone to meet the success that Wallace did and hopefully go a bit further.
Tudors name keeps being mentioned and I just don't know enough about him to be confident he is the right guy.

We need someone who can commit to getting us back in the finals mix by 2016, someone who has a vision on how to develop the younger players we have assembled and someone who can not only come in and redirect now us but is also capable of growing into a premiership coach.
How many potential coaches are capable of doing that?

Throughandthrough
28-10-2014, 11:20 AM
They won the flag in 2004 but you're right they made the GF in 2007.

I have my years mixed up! #shagshow

1eyedog
28-10-2014, 01:02 PM
THought about it some more….Chocco wouldn't need to spend a year learning how to be a head coach and he seems to have high standards like macca did/does. I feel like I could trust with Chocco that if we don't win the flag with this group under him then it was because we weren't good enough. If we don't win the flag with this group under a first time coach then I would wonder whether it was because the coach wasn't up to it.

I don't like Williams as coach - he's too gung ho. He drove that list to the abyss and back in an attempt to play in a GF and all he did was get officials off-side and the playing list against him. It's fine to go all out and worry about nothing but winning a GF but as a senior coach you need to be multi-dimensional and that includes what goes on off the footy field. I would like to see a fresh face with fresh ideas come into the club and that equals Tudor for mine. He's got an excellent CV as well.

1eyedog
28-10-2014, 01:09 PM
In recent times for Bulldogs coaches, Wallace, Rohde and McCartney were all first appointment coaches with Rohde and McCartney split by Eade.
Based on that we need someone to meet the success that Wallace did and hopefully go a bit further.
Tudors name keeps being mentioned and I just don't know enough about him to be confident he is the right guy.

We need someone who can commit to getting us back in the finals mix by 2016, someone who has a vision on how to develop the younger players we have assembled and someone who can not only come in and redirect now us but is also capable of growing into a premiership coach.
How many potential coaches are capable of doing that?

Everyone who applies is capable of doing that but how many can is another question. Clarkson was an unknown at one stage as everyone who coaches a team in a final was at some stage. If you're talking about experience then Williams is your man because he has done it before, doesn't mean he'll do it again. He's no better chance than Tudor to take us to a GF IMO.

We'll never know enough about Williams, Sumich, Tudor, Ratten et al. to know whether they will take us to a GF we just need to select the best applicant based on a number of factors relevant to where we are now as a club and and where that candidate wants us to be as a club in 2015 and beyond.

GVGjr
28-10-2014, 01:21 PM
I've spent a bit of time looking at all the potential coaches and Tudor does stack up well. I don't mind the idea of an inexperienced coach being given the chance to direct us towards finals etc but if an experienced coach with good credentials was to apply I'd hope we would give them the chance to interview.

I've been a supporter of Adam Kingsley because I have heard him speak and he is impressive plus for a guy his age he has a lot of experience working under good coaches. Brendan Bolton would be an interesting interview because he has a very different pathway to the AFL coaching ranks including looking after the Box Hill Hawks.

I still don't know he would be the best person for us but I hope we interview Tudor, Williams, Bolton, Kingsley and maybe Sumich amongst others. At the very least the committee will gain a great understanding of the ideas from a number of potential coaches about what direction we could head towards.

LostDog
28-10-2014, 02:34 PM
I meant Port in a grand final that year, I know North also made the prelim that year after beating Hawthorn

Remi Moses
28-10-2014, 02:54 PM
After all that's happened communication is going to be the key .
We're all guessing in terms of knowing what a potential coach brings to the table.

Hot_Doggies
28-10-2014, 03:17 PM
I've spent a bit of time looking at all the potential coaches and Tudor does stack up well. I don't mind the idea of an inexperienced coach being given the chance to direct us towards finals etc but if an experienced coach with good credentials was to apply I'd hope we would give them the chance to interview.

I've been a supporter of Adam Kingsley because I have heard him speak and he is impressive plus for a guy his age he has a lot of experience working under good coaches. Brendan Bolton would be an interesting interview because he has a very different pathway to the AFL coaching ranks including looking after the Box Hill Hawks.

I still don't know he would be the best person for us but I hope we interview Tudor, Williams, Bolton, Kingsley and maybe Sumich amongst others. At the very least the committee will gain a great understanding of the ideas from a number of potential coaches about what direction we could head towards.

Tudor coached Geelong Vfl and Sumich coached South Fremantle in the WAFL.

GVGjr
28-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Tudor coached Geelong Vfl and Sumich coached South Fremantle in the WAFL.

I'm aware of both of their state league coaching records.

Hotdog60
28-10-2014, 04:25 PM
I don't like Williams, I think it stems back to him playing for the feral club. I also didn't like the choke gesture.

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2014/09/19/1227064/030693-8cb48bc4-3eef-11e4-b960-2caaf0b197a5.jpg]

Apart that I'd be happy with whoever providing they aren't over 50.

LostDoggy
28-10-2014, 04:41 PM
I don't like Williams as coach - he's too gung ho. He drove that list to the abyss and back in an attempt to play in a GF and all he did was get officials off-side and the playing list against him. It's fine to go all out and worry about nothing but winning a GF but as a senior coach you need to be multi-dimensional and that includes what goes on off the footy field. I would like to see a fresh face with fresh ideas come into the club and that equals Tudor for mine. He's got an excellent CV as well.

I like the name. Tudor. Has a touch of The Imperials about it. Know nothing else about the guy, but heck, cool name, he gets the gig for mine.

LostDoggy
28-10-2014, 04:51 PM
I like the name. Tudor. Has a touch of The Imperials about it. Know nothing else about the guy, but heck, cool name, he gets the gig for mine.

Will be great when the Hun get wind of someone else getting the role.

Headline: It's not a Tudor!

1eyedog
28-10-2014, 05:35 PM

If we're going on names alone I'd like the 1960s Hollywood starlet Lucious Lips as our coach.

Twodogs
28-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Five time premiership coach and Western Bulldog legend Leigh Tudor sounds better.

1eyedog
28-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Five time premiership coach and Western Bulldog legend Leigh Tudor sounds better.

It sure does.

Eze Dog
28-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Tudor does look like he could be a great coach based on his resume which includes Geelong VFL coach 2005-08, runner-up in 2006, premiers in 2007; St Kilda assistant coach 2009-10 (made 2 grand finals); Sydney Swans assistant midfield coach 2011-13 (won a grand final); North Melbourne assistant defensive coach 2014 (recruited to help them fix their defensive game which I believe improved quite a lot from last year).

Go_Dogs
28-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Will be great when the Hun get wind of someone else getting the role.

Headline: It's not a Tudor!

From a teacher to a Tudor?

We'll need a professor next.

Bulldog4life
28-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Just noticed that Luke Beveridge has appeared in betting. Wasn't there a week ago. Ratten firmed very slightly. Sumich firms $2.

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/australian-rules/next-western-bulldogs-coach?<br /><br />LeftNav

Next Western Bulldogs Coach

Markets (1)

Brett Ratten 2.35

Brett Montgomery 2.50

Peter Sumich 9.00

Luke Beveridge 10.00

Scott West 11.00

Leigh Tudor 14.00

Brendan Bolton 16.00

Mark Thompson 17.00

Stewart Dew 26.00

John Worsfold 26.00

Gary Ayres 26.00

Neil Craig 26.00

Remi Moses
28-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Tudor does look like he could be a great coach based on his resume which includes Geelong VFL coach 2005-08, runner-up in 2006, premiers in 2007; St Kilda assistant coach 2009-10 (made 2 grand finals); Sydney Swans assistant midfield coach 2011-13 (won a grand final); North Melbourne assistant defensive coach 2014 (recruited to help them fix their defensive game which I believe improved quite a lot from last year).

It's very impressive
Wonder what he's like as a communicator ?
Best resume of the untried coaches

GVGjr
28-10-2014, 08:13 PM
I would have thought Williams would have been in the odds mix

Bulldog4life
28-10-2014, 08:17 PM

$31 currently. Has drifted

Rocco Jones
28-10-2014, 08:19 PM

I put $10 on him @ $31 with Sportsbet.

GVGjr
28-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Coaching update from Twitter

According to 3AW's Sam McClure Scott West has been told he is out of the race for the Bulldogs senior job by the Clubs Selection Committee.

He has also said Peter Sumich, Gary Ayres & Brett Ratten are the three men who have been spoken to as replacements for Brendan McCartney. Brett Montgomery has not been ruled out.

azabob
28-10-2014, 08:39 PM
What are posters thoughts on Ayres? Been out of the AFL system a long time.

GVGjr
28-10-2014, 08:44 PM
What are posters thoughts on Ayres? Been out of the AFL system a long time.

Not sure, he was a good AFL coach and has done a mighty job at Port Melbourne. Hands on type of a coach which might not be the right approach now. Like you I wonder how he has been able to stay relevant given he has been out of the system for so long.

LostDoggy
28-10-2014, 09:26 PM
Let's give a winning coach a try for once, is my feeling. So Williams. Or Woosha if he wants it. Don't care for Tudor.

BulldogBelle
28-10-2014, 10:11 PM
l am happy Scott West is out!
My father mentioned Gary Ayres on Sunday, l shot him down in flames. Has been out if the big time for to long.
l really like Tudor's resume.
Lets see how things pan out.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-10-2014, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure if it's my bias from my memory of his playing days or if its that whenever I have heard him interviewed I've been less than impressed with him, but I really hope Sumich is not our next coach.

MrMahatma
28-10-2014, 10:51 PM
I like Ayres. Clearly loves the coaching caper.

With the support structures of list managers, recruiting teams football directors etc around these days, I also don't see why Williams wouldn't be considered. Can coach. If "the way he left the list" is a big issue, he'd not have as much control of list management decisions these days as he did 8 years ago.

Bulldog Revolution
28-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Id see Ayers as part of a coaching panel rather than the head coach, and probably feel the same way about Bolton - but think he'd be great with the kids, and a must talk to prospect.

Tudor, Beveridge, and Williams are my primary interests.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-10-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm agnostic. I just trust the panel and the process to know better than me. I don't have any real prejudice against any of them, never liked Sumich as a player but that was more prejudice against the 'expansion' club of the time (still wish we hadn't gone national) and had a dream that Sumich was our coach. I never like Tudor's daggy hairstyle but so what. All that matters is if the coach can get us winning again, by hook or by crook. Love, peace and Woodstock to the selection panel. May the devine wind of Fate blow up your nostrils whilst you sleep and bring you The Vision.

1eyedog
28-10-2014, 11:36 PM
I like Ayres. Clearly loves the coaching caper.

With the support structures of list managers, recruiting teams football directors etc around these days, I also don't see why Williams wouldn't be considered. Can coach. If "the way he left the list" is a big issue, he'd not have as much control of list management decisions these days as he did 8 years ago.

I like Ayres as well and he's someone I haven't really considered. He'll be a student of the game till the end of his days so I don't think he'll be found wanting trying new things. Super player so will have the respect of the group from that perspective and can definitely coach. Seems like a hard bastard too and maybe that's what we need after all this development. I don't buy that because he's been out of the AFL system that he is somehow behind the eight ball. He's as sharp a coach as you can get.

KT31
29-10-2014, 01:05 AM
I'm not sure if it's my bias from my memory of his playing days or if its that whenever I have heard him interviewed I've been less than impressed with him, but I really hope Sumich is not our next coach.

I am much the same about Ayres, I remember an interview with him prior to us appointing B.Mac and he seemed very arrogant about him not applying for our job and the club should come to him as his record was so great.
This is only my perception but I also believe we need someone who has not been out of the game for as long.

bornadog
29-10-2014, 09:34 AM
I am much the same about Ayres, I remember an interview with him prior to us appointing B.Mac and he seemed very arrogant about him not applying for our job and the club should come to him as his record was so great.
This is only my perception but I also believe we need someone who has not been out of the game for as long.

I tend to agree. He hasn't been anywhere near an AFL role for something like 10 years - big NO from me.

G-Mo77
29-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Let's give a winning coach a try for once, is my feeling. So Williams. Or Woosha if he wants it. Don't care for Tudor.

He's in the selection panel. Alarm bells would ring if he chose himself. :)

bornadog
29-10-2014, 10:27 AM

Good chance for the panel to assess him.

1eyedog
29-10-2014, 10:33 AM

I agree - no reason why the other members of the panel can't tap him on the shoulder. Having him work on the panel close to other members really gives them the best chance to have a look at him too rather than just relying on reputation, a CV and an interview(s).

hujsh
29-10-2014, 10:38 AM

Also known as pulling a Cheney or a 'Dick move'

azabob
29-10-2014, 10:46 AM

Isn't that how Grant Thomas got the St.Kilda job? Reviewed and sacked Blight - then took over?

bornadog
29-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Isn't that how Grant Thomas got the St.Kilda job? Reviewed and sacked Blight - then took over?

Not sure Aza, but you could be right.

Bulldog Revolution
29-10-2014, 12:43 PM

I would be happy if we'd hired Woosha, but the process of having him on the panel and interviewing other applicants would be a dodgy way to do it. In fact it would stink.

If we wanted Woosha then we should have been beating down his door, and still doing so.

1eyedog
29-10-2014, 02:22 PM
I would be happy if we'd hired Woosha, but the process of having him on the panel and interviewing other applicants would be a dodgy way to do it. In fact it would stink.

If we wanted Woosha then we should have been beating down his door, and still doing so.

He would need to resign from the panel and apply like everyone else.

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-10-2014, 02:41 PM

Worsfold has already said that he wasn't interested at this stage to return to Senior coaching. It would be difficult to understand that he could now be a candidate seeing the Club had invited him to be part of the 5 man selection panel.

whythelongface
29-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Is there a timeline for us to select a new coach? One would assume it would be either this week or next at the very latest.

The squad, as a whole, would commence pre-season training shortly (early November I believe). Thus one would assume that the coach would be selected before then.

GVGjr
29-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Just speculation from my part but I would imagine that we will make an appointment late next week. We must be close to completing the interviews subject to the committee's availability and I'd imagine that we might then be done to 2 or 3 candidates. A quick 2nd interview would find us the right person.

Templeton31
29-10-2014, 03:12 PM
I think they have done a good job of not letting speculation out and it will be a bit like whats happened with the Gold Coast - you here a peep one day that it could be Eade and then 24 hrs later he's been appointed.