PDA

View Full Version : Who should we get as our new coach?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Bulldog Revolution
10-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Further speculation by the Hun is not ruling out Craig for the senior role.

I think Craig is the most articulate and impressive of the coaches or coaches in waiting given the way he responds to all media questions. I heard him talking about Hird and Thompson a couple of weeks ago and explaining that Harvey was joining the team and he was very impressive.
At the moment I'm guessing that if it's not Beveridge then maybe it's Craig for 2 years before handing it over to Monty and taking up the director of coaching role.

Yes I saw that - Interesting development

Craig would have learnt a bit since his role as a full timer with Adelaide - he'd add a bit to the footy club you'd think

1eyedog
11-11-2014, 12:01 AM

I think Craig is the most articulate and impressive of the coaches or coaches in waiting given the way he responds to all media questions. I heard him talking about Hird and Thompson a couple of weeks ago and explaining that Harvey was joining the team and he was very impressive.
At the moment I'm guessing that if it's not Beveridge then maybe it's Craig for 2 years before handing it over to Monty and taking up the director of coaching role.

I love the fact that Craig has been around and has a good depth of experience across not only AFL football but also cycling as well as through the AIS in SA. A degree in sports science certainly compliments the package. Good coach with skills outside the primary coaching role and a legend of SA football - I think he has something to offer and is an upgrade on BMac in some ways. Hopeful he'll be our coach out of the candidates mentioned and won't be disappointed.

bornadog
11-11-2014, 12:02 AM

A few of us on WOOF suggested this should have happened when Macca was appointed and some didn't like the idea. Maybe the club has learnt something.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-11-2014, 12:08 AM
I like the idea of Craig working at the club in some capacity. If we think he's the best fit for head coach, I'm happy with that too.

The Doctor
11-11-2014, 12:10 AM
Neil Craig was our our first ever draftee at pick No.2 in the 1981 draft.

That went well! Platten went at 19!!!

Twodogs
11-11-2014, 12:59 AM
Neil Craig was our our first ever draftee at pick No.2 in the 1981 draft.

That went well! Platten went at 19!!!

I can remember sitting in the classroom at school reading the copy of the Sun I'd bought on the way and finding that out. We also picked a guy called Trevor Klisby.

Looking at the '81 and '82 drafts Geelong drafted both Tony McGuiness and Brad Hardie in consecutive drafts. Heh! Still. Geelong were on their game even then when it came to drafting.

Remi Moses
11-11-2014, 01:21 AM
Don't mind Craig as a head of coaching and Beveridge getting the main gig.
Essendon will probably want a million dollar compo and a first round pick as compo.

Remi Moses
11-11-2014, 01:22 AM
I can remember sitting in the classroom at school reading the copy of the Sun I'd bought on the way and finding that out. We also picked a guy called Trevor Klisby.

Looking at the '81 and '82 drafts Geelong drafted both Tony McGuiness and Brad Hardie in consecutive drafts. Heh! Still. Geelong were on their game even then when it came to drafting.

Wasn't it form fours back then? Draft started in 86 I think .

Greystache
11-11-2014, 01:28 AM

Craig preformed a virtually identical role at Melbourne under Neeld. I can't think of a more dysfunctional football or coaching department than Melbourne during this period. I have massive doubts in Craig for this type of position. I don't fancy him for coach either for what it's worth.

Remi Moses
11-11-2014, 03:16 AM
Craig preformed a virtually identical role at Melbourne under Neeld. I can't think of a more dysfunctional football or coaching department than Melbourne during this period. I have massive doubts in Craig for this type of position. I don't fancy him for coach either for what it's worth.

That's true but like most rookie coaches or experienced types there are pros and cons.
You could say he had a big say when Blight took over in Adelaide.
Let's be honest Melbourne are a career killer.

Twodogs
11-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Wasn't it form fours back then? Draft started in 86 I think .

The VFL had a draft in '82 and '83 but then abandoned it. They also had form fours at the same time.

http://footystats.freeservers.com/Footystats/Draft(forgotten).html

bornadog
11-11-2014, 10:10 AM

According to his Wiki page, he had a different role at Melbourne than what we are talking about:

he signed as the Director of Sports Performance at the Melbourne Football Club, beginning in the 2012 season. His primary role was mentoring and assisting the players of the club, in particular the younger players, and to mentor and assist the other assistant coaches, including an assistant coach

This means the head coach didn't report to him.
Not sure what you have against him, his coaching record shows a 55.4% win ratio at Adelaide.

Personally, I don't know much about him, so not saying you are not right on your assessment..

bornadog
11-11-2014, 11:21 AM
From AFL.com.au

Craig emerges as candidate for Bulldogs coaching role
NEIL Craig has emerged as a late contender for the Western Bulldogs coaching position.

Former Dog champion Luke Darcy, who is on the committee charged with appointing the new coach, said Craig was "an outstanding individual" who would be closely looked at to replace Brendan McCartney.

Craig, the former Adelaide coach who is Essendon's general manager of football performance, joins St Kilda director of coaching Luke Beveridge and Bulldogs assistant Brett Montgomery in the running for the job.

The Herald Sun reports that if Craig is not appointed as the Dogs' senior coach, he may also be considered as a mentor to an untried or inexperienced senior coach.

Darcy, club football director Chris Grant, football manager Graham Lowe and West Coast premiership coach John Worsfold are on the selection committee.

"He's (Craig) an outstanding individual in football. He would have to be a chance," Darcy said on Triple M on Tuesday morning.

"He's a brilliant person and he's got a great history in coaching.

"There are a huge array of outstanding candidates, and one of them will make a very good coach of the Western Bullldogs when it's announced.

"To give running commentary on that is not how it works."

Darcy said the general feedback given to the committee from those coaching candidates who had been interviewed was positive.

"Everyone who has presented has got great faith and excitement about where the Bulldogs' list is at and the talent that is available there," he said.

"And a lot of people are very bullish about the Bulldogs' future."

Craig was also interviewed for Gold Coast's senior coaching position before Rodney Eade eventually was selected for the role.

The 58-year-old coached Adelaide from 2004 to 2011, leading the Crows to five successive finals series.

He resigned in 2011, joining Melbourne the following year and taking over as caretaker coach at the Demons in 2013 after Mark Neeld was sacked.

Craig now leads the high performance division at the Bombers, having been appointed to the role of head of coaching development and strategy for 2014.

He was promoted to the executive role in April this year.

There is speculation that a move by Craig to the Bulldogs could open up a role for Mark Thompson at Essendon.

Thompson coached the Bombers in 2014 during James Hird's suspension, and the club remains keen to find a senior position for him.

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-11-2014, 11:22 AM
I am also not convinced about Craig. He went from the fat into the frying pan from Melbourne to Essendon and you get the impression that he wants out of Essendon because of the Hird/ Thompson saga. I would prefer to see Beveridge with someone like Gary Ayres as the Director of Football. Neil Balme would have been the ideal person and Collingwood has scored a coup with his return.

always right
11-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Not a fan of Craig for the senior coaching role but happy for him to have a mentoring role. Sure he had a 55.4% winning ratio at Adelaide which begs the question....why was he given the arse? My recollection is that there weren't many Adelaide supporters disappointed to see him leave.

Throughandthrough
11-11-2014, 11:42 AM
He's a Dinosaur.

Sedat
11-11-2014, 12:02 PM
From AFL.com.au

Craig emerges as candidate for Bulldogs coaching role
NEIL Craig has emerged as a late contender for the Western Bulldogs coaching position.

Former Dog champion Luke Darcy, who is on the committee charged with appointing the new coach, said Craig was "an outstanding individual" who would be closely looked at to replace Brendan McCartney.

Craig, the former Adelaide coach who is Essendon's general manager of football performance, joins St Kilda director of coaching Luke Beveridge and Bulldogs assistant Brett Montgomery in the running for the job.

The Herald Sun reports that if Craig is not appointed as the Dogs' senior coach, he may also be considered as a mentor to an untried or inexperienced senior coach.

Darcy, club football director Chris Grant, football manager Graham Lowe and West Coast premiership coach John Worsfold are on the selection committee.

"He's (Craig) an outstanding individual in football. He would have to be a chance," Darcy said on Triple M on Tuesday morning.

"There are a huge array of outstanding candidates, and one of them will make a very good coach of the Western Bullldogs when it's announced.

"To give running commentary on that is not how it works."

Darcy said the general feedback given to the committee from those coaching candidates who had been interviewed was positive.

"Everyone who has presented has got great faith and excitement about where the Bulldogs' list is at and the talent that is available there," he said.

"And a lot of people are very bullish about the Bulldogs' future."

Craig was also interviewed for Gold Coast's senior coaching position before Rodney Eade eventually was selected for the role.

The 58-year-old coached Adelaide from 2004 to 2011, leading the Crows to five successive finals series.

He resigned in 2011, joining Melbourne the following year and taking over as caretaker coach at the Demons in 2013 after Mark Neeld was sacked.

Craig now leads the high performance division at the Bombers, having been appointed to the role of head of coaching development and strategy for 2014.

He was promoted to the executive role in April this year.

There is speculation that a move by Craig to the Bulldogs could open up a role for Mark Thompson at Essendon.

Thompson coached the Bombers in 2014 during James Hird's suspension, and the club remains keen to find a senior position for him.
I love how Darcy gives a running commentary on one of the coaching candidates, and then in the next sentence says he won't give a running commentary :rolleyes:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-11-2014, 12:43 PM
To be fair, he didn't say anything about Craig and his interview or his specific chances. What he said was generic:

Ozza
11-11-2014, 01:02 PM
I'm not overly convinced about Neil Craig in that Senior Assistant/Coaching Director capacity....as I also remain unconvinced about that type of role generally. Have Essendon, Collingwood or Melbourne been better clubs/better coached with Thompson/Eade/Craig in those roles?

Maybe I need to 'get with the times' of the way clubs are going with coaching groups - but I still think there needs to be one coach who is clearly in charge - and that's the Senior Coach.

Maddog37
11-11-2014, 01:22 PM
I would be worried that Craig would fall for the same trap that Macca did(at least in my opinion). Too much rigid systemised game play and not enough natural flair.

Remi Moses
11-11-2014, 03:00 PM
I would be worried that Craig would fall for the same trap that Macca did(at least in my opinion). Too much rigid systemised game play and not enough natural flair.

Same here. Don't mind him in a senior Assistant role, but not as a head coach.
Didn't end well in Adelaide, and it's just a big a risk picking him as it is picking Beveridge.
I hope the club doesn't get cold feet picking up a rookie coach, as it's risky picking ANY coach.

boydogs
11-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Didn't end well in Adelaide

Does it ever?

Remi Moses
11-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Does it ever?

Very much so, but he's just to " old school" and rigid for me.

1eyedog
11-11-2014, 03:59 PM

Melbourne were a basket case and his job wasn't made any easier by having a nuff nuff coach and the Stynes sentiment churning away in the background. I'm not sure Alexander the Great would have been able to lead that club into calmer waters at that time.

chef
11-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Does it ever?

Nope.

Greystache
11-11-2014, 04:24 PM
I love how Darcy gives a running commentary on one of the coaching candidates, and then in the next sentence says he won't give a running commentary :rolleyes:

Massive contradiction. Elite irony.

Twodogs
11-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Melbourne were a basket case and his job wasn't made any easier by having a nuff nuff coach and the Stynes sentiment churning away in the background. I'm not sure Alexander the Great would have been able to lead that club into calmer waters at that time.

Alexander would have the language barrier working against him for a start. Not to mention not having the Old School tie.

Templeton31
11-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Mark Stevens twitter: Beveridge interviewed yesterday morning for Dogs gig. In it up to his eye balls…….

1eyedog
11-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Alexander would have the language barrier working against him for a start. Not to mention not having the Old School tie.

Nothing a well managed Phalanx wouldn't fix.

re. Craig he came into the coaching role at the Crows when they were performing quite badly on-field and he turned them around immediately. They played five straight years of finals football starting in his first year. In terms of coaches he was seen as the next great thing and all of a sudden every coach thought they needed a sports sciences degree. Through those five years there was definitely some ordinary drafting which led to some of the beltings that brought about his downfall - they just had no talented kids coming through.

Craig can coach and probably took the old skool Rocket approach that went all out to win a Grand Final rather than a strategic approach that focuses on both winning games of football while ensuring good players come into the club. It's easier to top up a top 4 list in Victoria because there are so many teams but (at least during Craig's tenure) it was difficult to get Victorian players to Adelaide - it was even difficult to get South Australian boys to come home (they went hard at both Griffen and Cooney if I remember correctly).

A depleted list led to some big defeats at the Crows and Craig, seeing the writing on the wall jumped ship. Happens to heaps of coaches who coach again. I'm not saying he didn't cause ripples but I'm not across any of those issues while he was head coach.

I guess the point relevant to us is that he didn't win a premiership or play in a Grand Final but how much is this a product of list management and / or his ability to coach? For example, if we had Hall in 2006 would we have played in a GF between 08-09? Lots of speculation in this post but I would be interested to know how Craig has evolved his thinking from his pretty successful time at the Crows to now and how he would do things differently.

azabob
11-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Thanks for posting the above 1eye an interesting take.

boydogs
12-11-2014, 12:58 AM
Adelaide Crows

2002 - Gary Ayres 15-7, 3rd in home & away, made prelim
2003 - Gary Ayres 13-9, 6th in home & away, made semi final
2004 - Gary Ayres 4-9, Neil Craig 4-5, total 8-14, 12th place
2005 - Neil Craig 17-5, 1st in home & away, made prelim
2006 - Neil Craig 16-6, 2nd in home & away, made prelim
2007 - Neil Craig 12-10, 8th in home & away, eliminated week 1
2008 - Neil Craig 13-9, 5th in home & away, eliminated week 1
2009 - Neil Craig 14-8, 5th in home & away, made semi final
2010 - Neil Craig 9-13, 11th place
2011 - Neil Craig 4-12, Mark Bickley 3-3, total 7-15, 14th place
2012 - Brenton Sanderson 17-5, 2nd in home & away, made prelim
2013 - Brenton Sanderson 10-12, 11th place
2014 - Brenton Sanderson 11-11, 10th place

1eyedog
12-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Adelaide Crows

2002 - Gary Ayres 15-7, 3rd in home & away, made prelim
2003 - Gary Ayres 13-9, 6th in home & away, made semi final
2004 - Gary Ayres 4-9, Neil Craig 4-5, total 8-14, 12th place
2005 - Neil Craig 17-5, 1st in home & away, made prelim
2006 - Neil Craig 16-6, 2nd in home & away, made prelim
2007 - Neil Craig 12-10, 8th in home & away, eliminated week 1
2008 - Neil Craig 13-9, 5th in home & away, eliminated week 1
2009 - Neil Craig 14-8, 5th in home & away, made semi final
2010 - Neil Craig 9-13, 11th place
2011 - Neil Craig 4-12, Mark Bickley 3-3, total 7-15, 14th place
2012 - Brenton Sanderson 17-5, 2nd in home & away, made prelim
2013 - Brenton Sanderson 10-12, 11th place
2014 - Brenton Sanderson 11-11, 10th place

You're well place to comment on Craig BD what's your opinion of him?

Mofra
12-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Nothing a well managed Phalanx wouldn't fix.
Oblique Order > Phalanx ;)

My concern with Craig is whether he is too rigid in playing structure - wasn't Huddo at the Crows told to handball at every opportunity and to avoid kicking it?

1eyedog
12-11-2014, 12:22 PM

My concern with Craig is whether he is too rigid in playing structure - wasn't Huddo at the Crows told to handball at every opportunity and to avoid kicking it?

Sounds like good advice for Huddo. While probably tracking at 50/50 of being intercepted by hand he was probably worse than that turning it over by foot. If this was the advice he was given it sounds like Craig was fully across his capabilities.

Twodogs
12-11-2014, 02:44 PM

That's what I heard too. But Craig being an an academic would have given his time at the Crows some robust and critical thought and made changes to how he would handle things next time he is faced with the same situation. He can obviously coach. I'm starting to come around to him despite a couple of concerns.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-11-2014, 03:24 PM

Can we apply this to guys like Picken and Boyd who always seem to receive the ball and play roles as distributors when they're two of the worst kicks in the league? :D

In all seriousness, I would be interested to hear from Craig. He made some mistakes with Adelaide (too rigid, overtraining) but he did a lot right too. He's stayed involved with coaching and seen plenty of ups and downs. He'd have to be as knowledgeable as anyone IMO.

Remi Moses
12-11-2014, 03:30 PM
I take that Craig is a wise old head and all, but you need to be able to relate to the whole group in this era.
As we know all to well

Dry Rot
12-11-2014, 03:51 PM
I take that Craig is a wise old head and all, but you need to be able to relate to the whole group in this era.
As we know all to well

Craig gets a makeover for his first day with us to appeal to the younger ones

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130928055404/breakingbad/images/e/e7/BB-S5B-Walt-590.jpg

Bulldog4life
12-11-2014, 04:43 PM

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130928055404/breakingbad/images/e/e7/BB-S5B-Walt-590.jpg

Promote Jack Redpath now!............By the way Dry Rot we have.:)

chef
12-11-2014, 04:53 PM

'We are the danger' didn't work last time.

Dry Rot
12-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Promote Jack Redpath now!............By the way Dry Rot we have.:)

We've announced our captain?

Dry Rot
12-11-2014, 08:02 PM
'We are the danger' didn't work last time.

If Walter White had partnered with Tom Boyd it would have all been different.

Bulldog4life
12-11-2014, 08:28 PM
We might even go the Melbourne way with Craig in charge for 2 years and either Monty or Beva to take over then.

F'scary
12-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Interesting development this evening: Bulldog Thompson and Esserdon have parted company.

Go_Dogs
12-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Interesting development this evening: Bulldog Thompson and Esserdon have parted company.

Bulldog Thompson?

1eyedog
12-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Has anyone seen the tweet about Thompson agreeing to being interviewed by the Dogs tomorrow afternoon? I have been told second hand and cannot verify this.

GVGjr
12-11-2014, 10:29 PM
Via Twitter, Bulldogs Online is reporting some of the coaching details

Coaching Roles:
For 2015 the coaching roles are set to be:
Daniel Giansiracusa- forward coach
Joel Corey-midfield coach ,
Rohan Smith -Defenders Coach
Steven King Ruck Coach.
Chris Maple- Development Coach
While Brent Montgomery would remain as senior assistant coach if he isn't selected as head coach.

The bulldog tragician
12-11-2014, 10:29 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really over all the speculation and would like an announcement this week. I know it's something the club has to get right, but it feels like we're a ship without a rudder!

The Bulldogs Bite
12-11-2014, 10:36 PM

Coaching Roles:
Steven King Ruck Coach.
While Brent Montgomery would remain as senior assistant coach if he isn't selected as head coach.

No doubt Gia and Corey are intelligent people with coaching ability, but I am not overly comfortable going into a new era with effectively two untried coaches, Smith and possibly an untried head coach.

GVGjr
12-11-2014, 10:38 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really over all the speculation and would like an announcement this week. I know it's something the club has to get right, but it feels like we're a ship without a rudder!

But in reality it's nearly the opposite. The players are typically handed over to the fitness staff anyway and the programmes are already in place.

I think we will have an answer very soon on the appointment and it could be announced before Monday.
The senior list is due back on Monday so it might get announced/confirmed to them before making it public.

jeemak
12-11-2014, 10:38 PM
I haven't paid attention let alone fretted about this appointment too much.

There's nothing that can be done that isn't, and it could never drag on past the next few days either. This is the way it has been for the last two week's so I've concentrated on other things.

1eyedog
12-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Has anyone seen the tweet about Thompson agreeing to being interviewed by the Dogs tomorrow afternoon? I have been told second hand and cannot verify this.

I can't find anything on this so am assuming it is guff.

GVGjr
12-11-2014, 10:53 PM

I haven't seen any retweets either.

boydogs
12-11-2014, 11:17 PM
You're well place to comment on Craig BD what's your opinion of him?

Aye? I'm just some dude with a couch and a keyboard! :D

Very similar to Eade, good record over a number of years without ever making or winning a GF, stayed in the game and got experience at other clubs after being head coach. I'm leaning towards an experienced coach given the inexperience of our assistant coaches and players, I'd be pleased if we got him

Throughandthrough
13-11-2014, 12:08 AM
I'm not a Neal Craig fan at all. Has coached to some ok results in sanfl and afl for years but has an amazing history of fluffing out in finals. Supposedly is quite old fashioned at much of his thinking. Has a fierce temper as well which he successfully kept away from the camera.

Be prepared for lots more soft tissue injuries and pleNty of bike ridIng for the players.

jeemak
13-11-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm not a Neal Craig fan at all. Has coached to some ok results in sanfl and afl for years but has an amazing history of fluffing out in finals. Supposedly is quite old fashioned at much of his thinking. Has a fierce temper as well which he successfully kept away from the camera.

Be prepared for lots more soft tissue injuries and pleNty of bike ridIng for the players.

We can't have a bad temper within in our walls can we? The players will get upset.

Templeton31
13-11-2014, 11:33 AM

best I can find is triple m tweet where Eddie asked Darce this morning about Bomber and Darce said selection process hasn't finished yet, Bomber has unbelievable record so yes we are interested. But it was just breakfast radio banter....

bulldogsman
13-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Eddie McGuire asked Luke Darcy this morning whether the Western Bulldogs will now make an approach to Bomber Thompson for the job of senior coach.

Darcy has recently been appointed to the Western Bulldogs' coach selection panel.

“I think given that we haven’t finished the process at the Bulldogs you’d have to think about it,” Luke Darcy said on Triple M’s The Hot Breakfast.

“The time that he was in contract that precludes you from having any of those conversations.

“Again, that’s a matter for the people on the committee.

“But you look at his coaching record Ed, it is off the charts, it is an amazing record in football.

“For someone like that not to be involved actively, just seems like that is a waste of the game.

“The answer is yes.”

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/news/2014/11/luke-darcy-says-the-western-bulldogs-will-look-at-securing-bomber-thompson/

whythelongface
13-11-2014, 11:45 AM
Interesting. Wonder if he would also contemplate it if he was approached.

1eyedog
13-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Eddie McGuire asked Luke Darcy this morning whether the Western Bulldogs will now make an approach to Bomber Thompson for the job of senior coach.

Darcy has recently been appointed to the Western Bulldogs' coach selection panel.

“I think given that we haven’t finished the process at the Bulldogs you’d have to think about it,” Luke Darcy said on Triple M’s The Hot Breakfast.

“The time that he was in contract that precludes you from having any of those conversations.

“Again, that’s a matter for the people on the committee.

“But you look at his coaching record Ed, it is off the charts, it is an amazing record in football.

“For someone like that not to be involved actively, just seems like that is a waste of the game.

“The answer is yes.”

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/news/2014/11/luke-darcy-says-the-western-bulldogs-will-look-at-securing-bomber-thompson/

He's just too high risk though isn't he? Unpredictable, too independent of thought...I don't know. He'd bring the spotlight to the club, probably assist with member numbers and certainly get our brand out there which is certainly what we need but I'm just not sure he is stable enough to guide us to the finals. He could crack the shits mid year and leave is my thinking and that's what I mean re. the risk.

whythelongface
13-11-2014, 12:27 PM
He's just too high risk though isn't he? Unpredictable, too independent of thought...I don't know. He'd bring the spotlight to the club, probably assist with member numbers and certainly get our brand out there which is certainly what we need but I'm just not sure he is stable enough to guide us to the finals. He could crack the shits mid year and leave is my thinking and that's what I mean re. the risk.

Based on the last few seasons he may be high risk but he was also under a lot of strain based on the predicament he found himself in. That type of environment would put anyone under some serious stress. Prior to that though he was stable enough to develop and guide the Cats to two premierships and stay with them for 10 years. Maybe he would relish the challenge of coaching a 'stable' club that has a dearth of young talent.

Bulldog4life
13-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Bomber would have to pay his fine first.

The Underdog
13-11-2014, 12:30 PM

Coaching Roles:
Steven King Ruck Coach.
It's certainly an interesting re-allocation of roles. King essentially demoted, suggests to me he may only still be there because he is contracted. Very inexperienced overall.

dog town
13-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Maybe that is where they are finding the money for a senior assistant coach to go with who ever we choose as the main man. Inexperienced line coaches and experienced guys looking on.

Why is Darcy creating speculation on his radio show. The fact we have had no leaks has been a big tick to the club IMO. Makes us look professional. Media reporting has been lazy because they have had nothing to go off. Darcy just giving them little quotes to twist into articles now.

1eyedog
13-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Based on the last few seasons he may be high risk but he was also under a lot of strain based on the predicament he found himself in. That type of environment would put anyone under some serious stress. Prior to that though he was stable enough to develop and guide the Cats to two premierships and stay with them for 10 years. Maybe he would relish the challenge of coaching a 'stable' club that has a dearth of young talent.

Yes you're right he has an impeccable track record as a senior coach that cannot be overlooked. He's clearly the best credentialed coach out there but is he the right coach for us?

It's certainly an interesting re-allocation of roles. King essentially demoted, suggests to me he may only still be there because he is contracted. Very inexperienced overall.

Did Joel Corey effectively go from club runner to midfield coach in one season?

bornadog
13-11-2014, 01:09 PM
Did Joel Corey effectively go from club runner to midfield coach in one season?

Not sure about that, but I like the re-organisation splitting the midfield roles.

Axe Man
13-11-2014, 01:52 PM
The time that he was in contract that precludes you from having any of those conversations

That makes no sense. Every candidate that we would have spoken to would be contracted somewhere. I really don't understand why we wouldn't have already approached Bomber if we were interested.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-11-2014, 02:06 PM
That makes no sense. Every candidate that we would have spoken to would be contracted somewhere. I really don't understand why we wouldn't have already approached Bomber if we were interested.

agree it doesnt make sense. Tudor, Sumich, Beveridge, Craig are all contracted. We are that close to appointing a coach. If things have changed now because of Bomber quitting essendon then i would be astonished and dismayed. If we have all but made our minds up, but are now "just checking" to see what Bomber has to say then that doesn't sound too encouraging for who we are about to appoint. Our thinking should be "this guy is the man to lead us forward". Not "oh lets just talk to someone else before we appoint him. Just to make sure we have the right guy".

Murphy'sLore
13-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Maybe we are 'just checking' with Bomber so that if it all goes pear-shaped with Luke Beveridge down the track and the fans are howling, 'why didn't we get Bomber?', they can say, well, we asked him and he wasn't interested.

divvydan
13-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Monty just been told he won't get the job.

Source: Sam McClure and Mark Stevens

bulldogsthru&thru
13-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Maybe we are 'just checking' with Bomber so that if it all goes pear-shaped with Luke Beveridge down the track and the fans are howling, 'why didn't we get Bomber?', they can say, well, we asked him and he wasn't interested.

it does sound like a mere formality but we know who our man is. Would be a major backflip at this stage.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-11-2014, 02:16 PM

Isn't that fear of abandonment based on Macca and Griffen leaving us? I think Bomber is a bit gun shy atm because of being in the spotlight during Essendon's disgrace and this affected him greatly IMHO. If he was to choose to coach us if selected, it would be a sign that his problems with the role are not ongoing. I'm saying his main problem was with the Essendon situation which brought out the worst in his personality.

Ghost Dog
13-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Bomber would be poor PR for us IMO. He shouldn't be even coaching. That is until he pays his fine.

Remi Moses
13-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Bombers behaviour in the last 12 months would worry me witless.
Not turning up to meetings , and the bizarre B+F speech and not to mention the small matter of not paying the fine.
This has Malcolm Blight Stkilda written all over it .

LostDoggy
13-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Bombers behaviour in the last 12 months would worry me witless.
Not turning up to meetings , and the bizarre B+F speech and not to mention the small matter of not paying the fine.

I agree, I think he would be a huge risk. And despite his undoubted experiance he just doesn't stike me as having a real passion for the job anymore, which is what we should be getting from a candidate.

F'scary
13-11-2014, 02:35 PM
So it looks like we are going to have a beveridge.

cheers.

bornadog
13-11-2014, 02:36 PM
You know, I had my doubts about him, but based on all the coaches out there, Bomber has the best credentials with two playing premierships and two coaching premierships.

If he has his heart in it, I would go for him. I am prepared to discard what has been happening at Essendon as the circumstances have certainly been unusual and a strange place to be.

1eyedog
13-11-2014, 02:57 PM
The club has developed a knack for suspenseful situations over the past 6 weeks and we have showed we are prepared to take risks to get the right men (ala Boyd).

Ozza
13-11-2014, 03:55 PM
I don't want Bomber Thompson whatsoever.

Hoping that the Beveridge appointment is confirmed tomorrow, and that Monty is happy to stay on as Senior Assistant.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-11-2014, 04:20 PM
So it looks like we are going to have a beveridge.

cheers.

Today is better than any other!

bulldogsthru&thru
13-11-2014, 04:22 PM
I don't want Bomber Thompson whatsoever.

Hoping that the Beveridge appointment is confirmed tomorrow, and that Monty is happy to stay on as Senior Assistant.

Its all but done. Compo to the Saints being worked out. I'd assume 20k is the going rate these days for poaching coaches.

Bulldog Revolution
13-11-2014, 04:25 PM

Thats exactly what I was thinking

Eastdog
13-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Right now who would you guys go for the experienced ones at senior level Thompson, Craig or inexperienced at senior level Monty or Beveridge

Pickenitup
13-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Beveridge for me the more I hear about him the more like him.

F'scary
13-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Right now who would you guys go for the experienced ones at senior level Thompson, Craig or inexperienced at senior level Monty or Beveridge

I'd go with Bulldog Thompson from the membership sales angle and from the experience angle. However, I am a little concerned that he is getting a bit weird lately in some way or another that I just can't articulate right now. So, perhaps the younger, hungrier, keener choice would be better - Beveridge or Montgomery.

Bulldog4life
13-11-2014, 06:27 PM

Monty is out of calculations. Has been told he hasn't got gig.

Maddog37
13-11-2014, 06:36 PM
What about a director of coaching type role for Bomber?

Remi Moses
13-11-2014, 06:41 PM
QUOTE=Eastdog;412414]Right now who would you guys go for the experienced ones at senior level Thompson, Craig or inexperienced at senior level Monty or Beveridge

Eastdog
13-11-2014, 06:42 PM

So will Monty be just an assistant with us now.

Remi Moses
13-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Don't know what's going on with these quotes
Gremlins?
Good logical move IMHO

Smads57
13-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Thoughts about the article on Bevo in the HS this morning? I found it really helpful as a supporter to know a bit more about him as a candidate. Wasn't aware that his three-peat in the Amateurs was unique in the comps 120 year history ie taking team from C grade to A grade in consecutive years. A good read.

LostDoggy
13-11-2014, 10:05 PM
The more I read and her other peoples opinions on Bevo,the happier I would be for him to be our next coach.
But will the selection committe go down the path of another untried coach @ AFL level twice in a row like they did with B-MAC???

Remi Moses
13-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Selection commitee shouldn't be spooked about hiring Luke Beveridge

SonofScray
13-11-2014, 10:39 PM
Thoughts about the article on Bevo in the HS this morning? I found it really helpful as a supporter to know a bit more about him as a candidate. Wasn't aware that his three-peat in the Amateurs was unique in the comps 120 year history ie taking team from C grade to A grade in consecutive years. A good read.

I'm fairly certain North Old Boys did it many years ago.

Smads57
13-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Just googled North Old Boys history - they were even more impressive going from E grade to A grade in successive years (1964-1968). Thanks for the heads up.

GVGjr
13-11-2014, 11:38 PM
Lets stay on topic please.

LostDoggy
13-11-2014, 11:44 PM

Coaching Roles:
Steven King Ruck Coach.

I find this all very strange.. I'm assuming the club has said to all applicants that basically all assistant roles will be filled, so you have to be okay with that? Would that limit range of potential applicants? Normally coaches like to bring over a couple of people atleast.

The Underdog
13-11-2014, 11:51 PM
I find this all very strange.. I'm assuming the club has said to all applicants that basically all assistant roles will be filled, so you have to be okay with that? Would that limit range of potential applicants? Normally coaches like to bring over a couple of people atleast.

To be honest, given how late in the piece it is, it would be pretty tough to get good people from other clubs

bornadog
14-11-2014, 12:16 AM
The speculation Continues:

Race for Western Bulldogs coaching job down to Luke Beveridge, Mark Thompson and Neil Craig
November 13, 2014 - 8:12PM
Ronny Lerner
Link: T (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/race-for-western-bulldogs-coaching-job-down-to-luke-beveridge-mark-thompson-and-neil-craig-20141113-11m8zk.html)he Age

The race for the top job at Whitten Oval could now be down to three after Bulldogs assistant Brett Montgomery was told on Thursday he would not be considered for the role – just a month after being listed as the $3.50 favourite with online bookmaker Sporstbet to succeed McCartney.

Mark Thompson and Neil Craig now loom as Beveridge's main competition.

Thompson emerged as something of a bolter just hours after his four-year stretch with Essendon officially ended on Wednesday evening.

The two-time Geelong premiership coach was endorsed strongly by former Bulldogs great and coach-selection panel member Luke Darcy on breakfast radio on Thursday.

"I think, given that we haven't finished the process at the Bulldogs, you'd have to think about it [hiring Thompson]," Darcy said on Triple M.

"You look at his coaching record, it is off the charts, it is an amazing record in football.

"For someone like that not to be involved actively just seems like a waste. The answer is yes."

It's a dramatic turn of events for Thompson, who looked as though his association with the AFL had come to an end with his departure from Essendon.

If Thompson were to win the gig as Bulldogs coach, he would still have to settle the issue of his league-imposed $30,000 fine, which was handed down for his involvement in the Bombers' controversial supplement program.

His position is likely to be discussed at the next AFL Commission meeting due to take place later this month if he continues to avoid paying the fine.

The Bulldogs are hoping to announce a new coach on Friday, or at least by Monday.

Essendon are confident that Craig will stay on at Tullamarine as their head of coaching development and strategy if he fails to win the Bulldogs job.

Experienced assistant coach Leigh Tudor is rated only an outside chance to be unveiled as the next Bulldogs coach.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-11-2014, 12:44 AM
In other words: they have absolutely no idea who will be the coach, and they are trying to cover their bases by even randomly mentioning Tudor at the end of the article.

Eastdog
14-11-2014, 12:47 AM
In other words: they have absolutely no idea who will be the coach, and they are trying to cover their bases by even randomly mentioning Tudor at the end of the article.

Why did Leigh Tudor pull out of the race?

The Underdog
14-11-2014, 12:55 AM
Why did Leigh Tudor pull out of the race?

He hasn't as far as we know. He may or may not be in the race

Ghost Dog
14-11-2014, 12:57 AM
Anyone else feel uncomfortable with Luke Darcy commenting about our coaching interviews in the media? I'm sort of embarrassed he's doing that.

Eastdog
14-11-2014, 12:58 AM
Anyone else feel uncomfortable with Luke Darcy commenting about our coaching interviews in the media? I'm sort of embarrased he's on the panel.

I had a question relating to that on the Dogs Day board under the thread about Thompson.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-11-2014, 01:50 AM
There is some suggestion that Beveridge will be announced senior coach by midday.

Eastdog
14-11-2014, 02:43 AM
There is some suggestion that Beveridge will be announced senior coach by midday.

Interesting TBB.

bornadog
14-11-2014, 10:30 AM

From Twitter:
Jay Clark ‏@ClarkyHeraldSun (https://twitter.com/ClarkyHeraldSun) 8m (https://twitter.com/ClarkyHeraldSun/status/533022058846752768)8 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/ClarkyHeraldSun/status/533022058846752768)
Dogs set to make an announcement on new coach today.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-11-2014, 11:49 AM
11:30 presser it looks like

whythelongface
14-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Looking like it will be Beveridge. Quietly excited by this appointment. Interesting to see if there will be a director of coaching or similar position.

wimberga
14-11-2014, 12:04 PM
11:30 presser it looks like

Has this been confirmed anywhere or are you just speculating?

BornInDroopSt'54
14-11-2014, 12:16 PM
I'm not logging off until we have a new coach.

wimberga
14-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Just confirmed on twitter that we will have a press conference at 1.30pm today

w3design
14-11-2014, 12:20 PM
I hope it is Beveridge.
The more I read about him, the more excited I get about him being coach.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Has this been confirmed anywhere or are you just speculating?

speculation unfortunately. but some time around lunch is the go on twitter

bulldogsthru&thru
14-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Just confirmed on twitter that we will have a press conference at 1.30pm today

ah there we go. Finally!

bornadog
14-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL) 5m5 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL/status/533052076410957824)
Beveridge believed to have backed appointment of director of coaching in talks with Dogs.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Interesting tweet from Mark Stevens regarding coaching director....

Beveridge believed to have backed appointment of director of coaching in talks with Dogs. Next step/twist
— Mark Stevens (@Stevo7AFL) November 14, 2014

bornadog
14-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Interesting tweet from Mark Stevens regarding coaching director....

Beveridge believed to have backed appointment of director of coaching in talks with Dogs. Next step/twist
— Mark Stevens (@Stevo7AFL) November 14, 2014

But who will that be is the big question

bulldogsthru&thru
14-11-2014, 12:32 PM
journos on twitter saying its not craig.....who else is suitable? Worsfold? That would be a twist!

BornInDroopSt'54
14-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Could it be Thompson as director? That would explain why Darcy mentioned him, perhaps to lessen the shock and controversy.
Has Thompson said he wouldn't pay his fine on principle or just hasn't paid?

LostDoggy
14-11-2014, 12:42 PM
At last we will have certainty, looking foward to the announcement!!

The Underdog
14-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Great stuff, hopefully at the end of a pretty messy period we've come out with a great coach and a key position player we can enjoy for years to come.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Thompson remains aggrieved at his treatment by Essendon and reportedly regretful he accepted his penalty – he was represented by a Queen's counsel – last year. - The Age

So neither the fine itself nor his stance would get in the way of him paying if he was appointed director.

bornadog
14-11-2014, 12:55 PM
journos on twitter saying its not craig.....who else is suitable? Worsfold? That would be a twist!

Sam Landsberger saying no way will it be Craig ( for Director)

bornadog
14-11-2014, 01:52 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10407117_381617152012519_1967939567634054422_n.jpg?oh=24d2d1 11085d409f93e376f3e888409b&oe=54E83585&__gda__=1424115517_4a03496ea8c4e57461c1f13861667a21

BornInDroopSt'54
14-11-2014, 01:58 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10407117_381617152012519_1967939567634054422_n.jpg?oh=24d2d1 11085d409f93e376f3e888409b&oe=54E83585&__gda__=1424115517_4a03496ea8c4e57461c1f13861667a21

??? What's your source please?

bornadog
14-11-2014, 02:03 PM
??? What's your source please?

from Twitter, but video link now down

Rocket Science
14-11-2014, 02:09 PM
The horse has bolted...

Luke Beveridge the new Western Bulldogs coach (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs/luke-beveridge-the-new-western-bulldogs-coach-20141114-11mr33.html)

bulldogsthru&thru
14-11-2014, 02:10 PM
from Twitter, but video link now down

yeah dogs website accidentally put the video up.

Eastdog
14-11-2014, 02:14 PM
So Luke Beveridge is the man.

BulldogBelle
14-11-2014, 02:23 PM
yeah dogs website accidentally put the video up.

Just a bit disorganised to put up the video before the press coference!

josie
14-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Dog Damn you Woofers !! You guys are always ahead of the game - well done - love the photo. Waiting with baited breath for Director (Worsfold please).

Gang Bei, Bottoms Up, Cheers to Beveridge !!

A can smell a premiership within a decade....Forever an optimist.

josie
14-11-2014, 02:26 PM
Just a bit disorganised to put up the video before the press coference!

IMO A forgivable misstep considering they've been to tight lipped. Some poor bugger of an IT person is no doubt getting their AR_ kicked.

Rocket Science
14-11-2014, 02:39 PM
IMO A forgivable misstep considering they've been to tight lipped. Some poor bugger of an IT person is no doubt getting their AR_ kicked.

Which'd explain why said IT person hasn't gotten round to enabling the press conference feed just yet.

bornadog
14-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Which'd explain why said IT person hasn't gotten round to enabling the press conference feed just yet.

Go to AFL site working well.

josie
14-11-2014, 02:41 PM
IT person got a really, really sore Butt, also looking for new job.

It's on afl website I think.

bornadog
14-11-2014, 02:41 PM

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-14/beveridge-to-coach-dogs

BulldogBelle
14-11-2014, 04:50 PM
Luke Beveridge. Ticks a lot of boxes. Sounds like the opposite of BMAC as a people person. Been in a successful program and looking for an opportunity. On his way to StKilda as director of coaching but may like this opportunity.

This from five weeks ago. I should have put some money on it :-(

wimberga
14-11-2014, 05:55 PM
|I took a bit @ $10 to $1.

feeling good!

Twodogs
15-11-2014, 03:58 PM

He was probably registering on SEEK when he was supposed to be enabling the feed.