PDA

View Full Version : Why we must act now.

Dancin' Douggy
12-10-2014, 10:57 PM
It seems there are a few woofers who are quite happy to watch Ryan Griffen run around for Footscray next year as punishment.
And maybe to teach a lesson to other players who might be thinking of pulling a similar stunt.

With the presumption he'll leave next year anyway, and we'll still be compensated with a free agency compensation pick . Presumably a high one. I respect everyones right to an opinion but..............

HERE'S WHY THIS IS MADNESS. AND WHY WE MUST ACT RIGHT NOW.

1. Ryan could do a knee this year, or his back could get worse, he could fracture his spine, or be in a car crash, he might be severely concussed and be told he needs to retire. He might get hit by a tram (Polack). He might get chronic fatigue syndrome (Lynch). Anything could happen. He might be worth zilch this time next year.

2. The AFL might suddenly decide to scrap Free agency compensation picks (crazier things have happened), look what they've just pulled out of the blue on Sydney!?!?

3. Or, best case scenario, we DO get a free agency compo pick, but if we manage to lure in a high profile free agent that pick goes up in smoke.

4. We might, on the back of this, have an unexpectedly good year and the compo pick might be around the 8 or 9 mark or higher.

5. At the moment he's 28 with a history of back issues. Next year he'll be 29 with a history of back issues, his value is going down not up. Carlton got ZERO compensation for Waite.. I repeat. ZERO.

6. We miss out on a year of development for the young players we could take in THIS draft.

7. Ryan ends up resenting the club so much that in 17 or 18 years time when his son, the best young talent in the land, will refuse to come to us as a father son.

8. GWS right now are beholden to getting a deal done. They have more draft picks and young talent dripping out of their back pockets then any team in the history, or the future, of the game will ever have. Now is the best time to maximise his worth.

Convinced?

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Hold firm Doug. I'm hoping our poker face will deliver. If holding out lands Boyd, then let's wait until Friday morning.

F'scary
12-10-2014, 11:10 PM
Also, if #16 stands out of football this year and just keeps himself nice and gym fit, he will be in the pink of health next year and will attract a nice contract.

LostDoggy
12-10-2014, 11:43 PM
100% agree with the opening post.

We need young talls right now. We need to start developing them right now.

Point 3 is also the biggest factor for me. If we lure a FA next year and it effects our compo I won't be happy.

hujsh
12-10-2014, 11:53 PM
Disagree. We need adequate compensation and if we don't get it we set a precedent to show players that this bullshit is not tolerated. It's one thing to request a trade, this is something else and players need to know it won't work out great for either them or the club we have to deal with

Dancin' Douggy
12-10-2014, 11:59 PM
Disagree. We need adequate compensation and if we don't get it we set a precedent to show players that this bullshit is not tolerated. It's one thing to request a trade, this is something else and players need to know it won't work out great for either them or the club we have to deal with

Of course this is with the presumption / demand that we get adequately compensated.

boydogs
13-10-2014, 12:32 AM
Can't see why GWS couldn't get a fair deal done, but I'd rather see us shop him around somewhere else than keep him

Twodogs
13-10-2014, 12:55 AM
It's to our advantage to get the deal done before Friday but its not incumbent on us to do it before then. I don't want to see Griff running around for us, Footscray or sitting out next year but we also don't need to jump at the first offer they make us.

Bulldog4life
13-10-2014, 01:29 PM
It's to our advantage to get the deal done before Friday but its not incumbent on us to do it before then. I don't want to see Griff running around for us, Footscray or sitting out next year but we also don't need to jump at the first offer they make us.

I think it is Thursday arvo this year.

bornadog
13-10-2014, 01:31 PM
I think it is Thursday arvo this year.

Yes, Thursday 2pm

Dancin' Douggy
13-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Hold firm Doug. I'm hoping our poker face will deliver. If holding out lands Boyd, then let's wait until Friday morning.

I'm hearin' ya!