PDA

View Full Version : Tom Boyd requests trade from GWS to Bulldogs

Pages : 1 2 [3]

The Bulldogs Bite
15-10-2014, 04:00 PM
The Age/Real Footy has just tweeted the following:

BREAKING: The Griffen and Boyd trade is close to happening. Story shortly.

Link: https://twitter.com/RealFooty1?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigfooty.com%2F forum%2Fthreads%2Fryan-griffen.1079659%2Fpage-13&tw_i=522249617342476288&tw_p=tweetembed

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Wasssatsorry??

1eyedog
The Age/Real Footy has just tweeted the following:

BREAKING: The Griffen and Boyd trade is close to happening. Story shortly.

Link: https://twitter.com/RealFooty1?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigfooty.com%2F forum%2Fthreads%2Fryan-griffen.1079659%2Fpage-13&tw_i=522249617342476288&tw_p=tweetembed

Wow, just wow.

LostDoggy
Giddy up!!

chef
15-10-2014, 04:03 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blockbuster-deal-for-boyd-and-griffen-close-20141015-116gsg.html

Scorlibo
15-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Griffen and 6 for Boyd

chef
15-10-2014, 04:05 PM
Griffen and 6 for Boyd

It's a bit, but i'd do it.

You don't get chances to get a Tom Boyd very often.

Greystache
15-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Griffen and 6 for Boyd

I'd like something else coming back our way if that's the deal.

LostDoggy
The club is understood to have come under pressure from the AFL to acquire seasoned players such as Griffen in order to lift its fortunes.

This just had to happen.

The Bulldogs Bite
Given the likelihood of both McCartin and Wright being taken before #4, I'd do it, but try and get them to throw in a freebie.

Scorlibo
15-10-2014, 04:07 PM
I'd like something else coming back our way if that's the deal.

Agreed. Pick 19 would be nice.

1eyedog
15-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Griffen and 6 for Boyd

Slight overs but you've got to go with it? Any steak knives I wonder?

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 04:08 PM

Pick 19 is gone. Carlton have it.

What others players could we look at? I think getting a Tomlinson or McCarthy won't happen.

bornadog
15-10-2014, 04:09 PM
BOYD a DOG

Scorlibo
15-10-2014, 04:12 PM
BOYD a DOG

Yep, it's official! We have really come off the worse for wear with the trade. But I'm still excited to have Boyd.

Scorlibo
15-10-2014, 04:13 PM
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-10-15/ryan-griffen-becomes-a-giant

anfo27
15-10-2014, 04:14 PM
we are paying some of Griffens wage as well. We have given up a lot here but in saying that 'YAY WE HAVE A KPF'. Doing cartwheels as we speak.

Rocket Science
15-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Ok, I'm just going to put this here ...

http://i.imgur.com/EuneG0l.jpg

GVGjr
15-10-2014, 04:23 PM

They don't have pick 19.

Go_Dogs
15-10-2014, 04:23 PM
I think we have given up more than we should have, but am stoked to secure Boyd.

Hopefully in 3 years time we look back and laugh that we ever held concerns about paying overs.

Go_Dogs
15-10-2014, 04:24 PM
They don't have pick 19.

Even their 3rd rounder back to us would have been good.

bornadog
15-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Even their 3rd rounder back to us would have been good.

Forget it, its done. :)

bulldogtragic
15-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Get happy!!!!!!

The Bulldogs Bite
15-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Big price to pay but stuff it, this is GREAT news!

Dancin' Douggy
15-10-2014, 04:45 PM
The truth is you HAVE to pay overs for big forwards.
It's just a fact.

bornadog
15-10-2014, 04:45 PM
The truth is you HAVE to pay overs for big forwards.
It's just a fact.

Yes and for once we have

Greystache
15-10-2014, 05:03 PM
For once we've been bold.

Hopefully it works out like we hope, but at least we're trying to be in the game.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-10-2014, 05:06 PM
For once we've been bold.

Hopefully it works out like we hope, but at least we're trying to be in the game.

Exactly.

I commend the club for this. No guarantees, like anything in life, but I love it.

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 05:14 PM
There aren't enough characters on twitter for me to adequately go hard at David King and Robbo. The media are the same dickheads who tell the dogs they need to go after a quality key forward and that you have to pay overs to get good players out of other clubs. So we do it and they still find reasons to kick the club.

Maddog37
15-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Any idea of Griffins salary at GWS?

GVGjr
15-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Any idea of Griffins salary at GWS?

A bit less than 1M a season for 4 years is the speculation

Rocket Science
15-10-2014, 05:47 PM
There aren't enough characters on twitter for me to adequately go hard at David King and Robbo. The media are the same dickheads who tell the dogs they need to go after a quality key forward and that you have to pay overs to get good players out of other clubs. So we do it and they still find reasons to kick the club.

Robbo evidently still smarting over Crameri.

No doubt he's got a sledge up his sleeve for Port/Ryder come this time tomorrow.

What a feckless windbag.

angelopetraglia
15-10-2014, 05:54 PM
We now have hope. We now have a story to tell. We now have a positive message. We now have something to get excited about. Selling memberships just got easier. Bold move. Courageous move. Dangerous move. But it had to be done. Just had to get the deal done.

always right
15-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Being the eternal pessimist I am with anything related to our club, I'm hopeful that we get the right outcome rather than confident.

What a filip this would be to us in our period of darkness (dramatic enough?)

I'm not religious but if this comes off I'll commit to Sunday church for the next 12 months in thanks to whatever god is responsible.
Can anyone tell me what time church services are held?

GVGjr
15-10-2014, 06:57 PM

You don't enjoy Sunday games anyway do you? :)

I was going to bump this but didn't want to wreck the buzz.

I say buy a Bulldogs Backyard package and we will call it even

jeemak
15-10-2014, 07:06 PM

Buddy, just worship Satan with me, he's much more relaxed about things.

Greystache
15-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Buddy, just worship Satan with me, he's much more relaxed about things.

No deal. I was born a snake handler and I'll die a snake handler.

mighty_west
15-10-2014, 08:02 PM
The Bulldogs vs AFL love child Good Friday?

Going to be some classic battles over the next decade.

comrade
15-10-2014, 08:11 PM
Still can't believe we did this deal.

Go_Dogs
15-10-2014, 08:16 PM

Back around this time in 2004, we added Ryan Griffen with #3 and Tom Williams with #6, we have now lost both of them, but have this year added #1 pick, and key forward Tom Boyd with #6 - and that is after 287 combined games played.

Hopefully Boyd can provide as good a return for us, but one which ends in better circumstances, including a premiership.

Pretty good to think since 2010 (I'm counting Libba, Wally and Hrovat as first rounders) we've added 8 first round draft selections, including a Pick 1, 4, 5 and 6.

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 08:17 PM

Happy or sad comrade?

You've been the spokesman for pessimism around here of late, has the footy department managed to swing you around?

lemmon
15-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Back around this time in 2004, we added Ryan Griffen with #3 and Tom Williams with #6, we have now lost both of them, but have this year added #1 pick, and key forward Tom Boyd with #6 - and that is after 287 combined games played.

Hopefully Boyd can provide as good a return for us, but one which ends in better circumstances, including a premiership.

Pretty good to think since 2010 (I'm counting Libba, Wally and Hrovat as first rounders) we've added 8 first round draft selections, including a Pick 1, 4, 5 and 6.
Those two second rounders we grabbed are key, losing Higgins has been vital in ensuring we add two solid rather than speculative kids this year. If we can add another few solid 150 gamers in the second round to go with Zaine who looks about that quality we can count this draft another success in adding pieces to the puzzle even if we don't pick up an absolute top line 18 year old through the draft.

Go_Dogs
15-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Those two second rounders we grabbed are key, losing Higgins has been vital in ensuring we add two solid rather than speculative kids this year. If we can add another few solid 150 gamers in the second round to go with Zaine who looks about that quality we can count this draft another success in adding pieces to the puzzle even if we don't pick up an absolute top line 18 year old through the draft.

Spot on. I'm pretty confident we can add 2 good players with our second round selections.

If we can add say, Harper and Biggs too it will be a very successful trade and draft period for us having turned over a large portion of the older players on the list and added some good young talent of varying age.

comrade
15-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Happy or sad comrade?

You've been the spokesman for pessimism around here of late, has the footy department managed to swing you around?

Very happy.

I still think had we not closed the deal this year, we wouldn't have got him at all.

So all I can say is kudos to all involved.

Could be history defining for us.

Mantis
15-10-2014, 08:41 PM
I still think had we not closed the deal this year, we wouldn't have got him at all.

Agree with that.. It was now or never.

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 08:50 PM
One thing that I've been thinking about, and let me know if I have too much time on my hands, but: surely Liam Pickering, if he's worth his salt as a manager, would have cautioned Boyd about this offer. He would've said something along the lines of, "Look, Tom, it's a massive and unprecedented offer, but you'll have to earn every penny. This is a club with a penchant for messiahs. You'll be doing every media stint, you'll cop the best defender every week, and because of the nature of both your salary and the trade itself, every game you don't kick a bag you'll be derided across the football world as a wasted bet.

So you're going to have to hold the club on your shoulders for those 7 years, and you're going to have to perform."

Or something like that :). And he said "Absolutely." Having a kid who's confident enough to take this opportunity lining up beside Stringer, who oozes the same bravado, is very exciting for me.

(I know, I'm imagining things, but surely something like this conversation/exchange would've taken place?)

comrade
15-10-2014, 08:53 PM
I imagine it went like this:

"Tom, the Dogs have offered you 5 years. Can you handle being the top banana, carrying the burden of 60+ years of desperation for the next 5 years? Are you sure you want that pressure?"

"Pickers, I eat pressure for breakfast. Tell them to make it 7 and its a deal."

jeemak
15-10-2014, 09:15 PM

"Tom, the Dogs have offered you 5 years. Can you handle being the top banana, carrying the burden of 60+ years of desperation for the next 5 years? Are you sure you want that pressure?"

If pressure was a breakfast cereal Tom Boyd would be on the box.

Topdog
15-10-2014, 09:22 PM
What a bitter *!*!*!*!wit. Cant believe this guy is head football writer.

Mark Robinson @Robbo_heraldsun · 5h 5 hours ago
Dogs lost captain, coach, no.6, integrity, respect and generally lost their way .. And they bring in Boyd on a mill a year... #goodluck

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 09:29 PM
What a bitter *!*!*!*!wit. Cant believe this guy is head football writer.

Mark Robinson @Robbo_heraldsun · 5h 5 hours ago
Dogs lost captain, coach, no.6, integrity, respect and generally lost their way .. And they bring in Boyd on a mill a year... #goodluck
Robbo is a regular joe who managed to get a journalism job. He's no more qualified than most of us.

divvydan
15-10-2014, 09:46 PM

Worship the sun. That way the service is every morning when you wake up, throw back the blinds and allow the sun to warm your body and wake up you. It's a great feeling.

Remember to pray to Joe Pesci though, he gets things done.

Remi Moses
15-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Unlike the integrity of his boss James Hird !
Some just think we should no our place as being a shit club with no ambition.
No your place Footscray.
Jake Niall is another one, who basically said we'd " flogged " Griffen off like an old Datsun or something .
Yeah Jake they instigated talks with GWS, what a load of tripe.Went on about GWS sending a message about their young stars not being poached .

EasternWest
15-10-2014, 10:50 PM
One thing that I've been thinking about, and let me know if I have too much time on my hands, but: surely Liam Pickering, if he's worth his salt as a manager, would have cautioned Boyd about this offer. He would've said something along the lines of, "Look, Tom, it's a massive and unprecedented offer, but you'll have to earn every penny. This is a club with a penchant for messiahs. You'll be doing every media stint, you'll cop the best defender every week, and because of the nature of both your salary and the trade itself, every game you don't kick a bag you'll be derided across the football world as a wasted bet.

So you're going to have to hold the club on your shoulders for those 7 years, and you're going to have to perform."

Or something like that :). And he said "Absolutely." Having a kid who's confident enough to take this opportunity lining up beside Stringer, who oozes the same bravado, is very exciting for me.

(I know, I'm imagining things, but surely something like this conversation/exchange would've taken place?)

I'm not naive enough to think it didn't go like this:

"Tom, long term contract and a shitload of coin."

"Where do I sign?"

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 11:39 PM

"Where do I sign?"
I get that and don't disagree. It was a massive factor, but he could've had that coin elsewhere for less pressure than he's going to cop at the Dogs.

Scorlibo
16-10-2014, 12:38 AM

The answer probably lies in whether Liam Pickering gets paid on commission.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2014, 12:46 AM
The answer probably lies in whether Liam Pickering gets paid on commission.

That was the knock on a certain manager of A. Everitt consistently shopping around under such a payment system. Hopefully players are smart enough to see through that. If not, and the AFLPA dont, maybe I can start up a player's 'player managers' management and get them to understand they will overpay costs over the journey by negotiating for players to sign player managers. Unless I get compromised and they need players player players management, manager, management service. Or I could go the bed so I can wake to a morning of a full Tom Boyd days.

hujsh
16-10-2014, 02:15 AM

"Where do I sign?"

"Tom, would you like to leave Western Sydney?"

"WOULD I!"

bornadog
16-10-2014, 09:09 AM
"Tom, would you like to leave Western Sydney?"

"WOULD I!"

or, I already have :)

always right
16-10-2014, 09:54 AM
You don't enjoy Sunday games anyway do you? :)

I was going to bump this but didn't want to wreck the buzz.

I say buy a Bulldogs Backyard package and we will call it even

I may have found a loophole. My daughter reminded me that in the last census my response to the question as to what religion I am....I responded 'AFL'. The Whitten Oval is my temple.

always right
16-10-2014, 09:56 AM
This trade may have changed the football lanscape forever. Don't for one minute think that other clubs won't now come for players like Bonts and Stringer in future years with similar mammoth offers.

I reckon we have two years to turn our club around and make it a place where players want to come to and want to stay. In two years time we cannot still be at the bottom of the ladder.

bornadog
16-10-2014, 09:58 AM
This trade may have changed the football lanscape forever. Don't for one minute think that other clubs won't now come for players like Bonts and Stringer in future years with similar mammoth offers.

I reckon we have two years to turn our club around and make it a place where players want to come to and want to stay. In two years time we cannot still be at the bottom of the ladder.

We need the right coach, stability at the club and success on the field and create an atmosphere where all the young guys are mates and want to stick together.

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 09:59 AM

One of the elements that stands out in this trade though is the fact that Boyd is a Victorian who was essentially forced/required to go to Western Sydney.

1eyedog
16-10-2014, 10:03 AM
One of the elements that stands out in this trade though is the fact that Boyd is a Victorian who was essentially forced/required to go to Western Sydney.

Same applies to S.A and W.A boys then to some degree. Do we need to keep this in mind when we are drafting? It has never seemed to be a problem before all this talk about Aish wanting back to S.A. a few months back.

GVGjr
16-10-2014, 10:06 AM
I may have found a loophole. My daughter reminded me that in the last census my response to the question as to what religion I am....I responded 'AFL'. The Whitten Oval is my temple.

Game, set and match. See you at the footy

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 10:16 AM
Same applies to S.A and W.A boys then to some degree. Do we need to keep this in mind when we are drafting? It has never seemed to be a problem before all this talk about Aish wanting back to S.A. a few months back.

Sure does. I don't think players need to chase money as much as they did only a decade or so ago. Chad Wingard is the poster boy for hissy-fits and look how that's ended up for him.