PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the WBFC - Toby McLean

Pages : 1 [2]

Bulldog Joe
12-05-2016, 04:38 PM
While McLean is accused by opposition (read Adelaide) of ducking, he just has good technique in going low to take possession and staying low until he can offload, basically keeping his body in position to make a fair tackle extremely difficult.

bornadog
12-05-2016, 04:46 PM
I remember talking to Rocket about how Selwood got all the free kicks for high tackles and he thought it was fair as Selwood could shrug his shoulders and force the tacklers arms to slide up to his neck.

Tacklers need to look at Libba (jnr and snr), they never give frees away for around the neck.

Ghost Dog
12-05-2016, 04:51 PM
I remember talking to Rocket about how Selwood got all the free kicks for high tackles and he thought it was fair as Selwood could shrug his shoulders and force the tacklers arms to slide up to his neck.

Tacklers need to look at Libba (jnr and snr), they never give frees away for around the neck.

Good point. The onus is on the tackler and their use of technique. I thought Adelaide were pretty undisciplined, and in the end gave away some 50's that indicated their frustration. You can be as kamakazi as you like but it will cost you.

comrade
12-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Opposition want to pin the arms to either receive an incorrect disposal or holding the ball free, rather than tackle around the waist. They have the right to try and do that.

Does Toby not have the right to do everything he can to shrug off the tackle and either get free to dispose of the ball or draw high contact?

Is he supposed to just let the opposition drill him into the ground?

He has perfected a completely legal technique and should be congratulated. Honestly, his weekly high free kicks are some of my favourite moments of the game.

Ozza
13-05-2016, 10:24 AM
Opposition want to pin the arms to either receive an incorrect disposal or holding the ball free, rather than tackle around the waist. They have the right to try and do that.

Does Toby not have the right to do everything he can to shrug off the tackle and either get free to dispose of the ball or draw high contact?

Is he supposed to just let the opposition drill him into the ground?

He has perfected a completely legal technique and should be congratulated. Honestly, his weekly high free kicks are some of my favourite moments of the game.

Mine too!! The excitement actually builds in me when I see him gather the ball down low at pace - the anticipation that someone will almost certainly get him high and we will shoot for goal!!

Around the neck is around the neck - no matter what happens really (unless you drive yourself into the opposition, which he doesn't) so the article will have no bearing on him continuing to get his one or two a game.

I like how Bevo stood up for him and Bailey Dale during the week. Without naming them specifically, he mentioned how we have got young players in their 1st or 2nd years putting their heads over the footy and getting free kicks for high contact. And 'if you deserve a free, you get one'.

bornadog
13-05-2016, 10:30 AM
Mine too!! The excitement actually builds in me when I see him gather the ball down low at pace - the anticipation that someone will almost certainly get him high and we will shoot for goal!!

Around the neck is around the neck - no matter what happens really (unless you drive yourself into the opposition, which he doesn't) so the article will have no bearing on him continuing to get his one or two a game.

I like how Bevo stood up for him and Bailey Dale during the week. Without naming them specifically, he mentioned how we have got young players in their 1st or 2nd years putting their heads over the footy and getting free kicks for high contact. And 'if you deserve a free, you get one'.

Now the AFL want to review the rule. Another knee jerk reaction. They are a bloody disgrace.

Murphy'sLore
13-05-2016, 10:31 AM
I love how Bevo will come out and defend our club and players with such passion. He's not sooky or unreasonable, but you know he means it and he stands up.

bornadog
13-05-2016, 10:36 AM
I love how Bevo will come out and defend our club and players with such passion. He's not sooky or unreasonable, but you know he means it and he stands up.

Gutless wonder Barret having another go at him today on AFL website (see here (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-13/sliding-doors-round-eight-2016-afl))

Happy Days
13-05-2016, 10:54 AM
Now the AFL want to review the rule. Another knee jerk reaction. They are a bloody disgrace.

I've never seen a body as terrified of organisational inertia as the AFL.

Ghost Dog
13-05-2016, 10:56 AM
I've never seen a body as terrified of organisational inertia as the AFL.

Fans should demand a cap on rule changes over a period of 5 seasons. Make the accountable.

Bulldog Joe
13-05-2016, 11:10 AM
Gutless wonder Barret having another go at him today on AFL website (see here (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-13/sliding-doors-round-eight-2016-afl))

He is certainly making his vendetta personal.

hujsh
13-05-2016, 11:23 AM
Fans should demand a cap on rule changes over a period of 5 seasons. Make the accountable.

A rule change on the rule changes? Brilliant!

Twodogs
13-05-2016, 12:13 PM
A rule change on the rule changes? Brilliant!

A rule change to the rule change regarding rule changing.

Daughter of the West
13-05-2016, 12:18 PM

Bahrrytt (and I know you're reading this), put it away. No seriously, put it away. Put the grinding axe away. You look like a tool. A big dumb tool.

Twodogs
13-05-2016, 12:18 PM

Meh! Shit splatters.

stefoid
13-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Ive always hated the interpretation of the 'protection of the head' rule that actually encourages players to put their heads in danger.

I hope the AFL instructs the umpires to stop doing it, and then the practice will disappear.

Playing for a head high free is no different to taking a dive, IMO.

comrade
13-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Ive always hated the interpretation of the 'protection of the head' rule that actually encourages players to put their heads in danger.

I hope the AFL instructs the umpires to stop doing it, and then the practice will disappear.

Playing for a head high free is no different to taking a dive, IMO.

So what should Toby do when the tackle is around his arms? Just drop the ball? He has the right to try and evade the tackler. If the technique of the tackler isn't perfect allowing for the tackle to creep up, that's on the tackler.

stefoid
13-05-2016, 10:45 PM
So what should Toby do when the tackle is around his arms? Just drop the ball? He has the right to try and evade the tackler. If the technique of the tackler isn't perfect allowing for the tackle to creep up, that's on the tackler.

Lets not pretend that he and a few others in the league dont play for head high free kicks. Personally I dont like any player playing for any kind of free kicks.

But OK, I dont particularly care if he tries to 'evade' a tackle by going low - its the free kick I object to. If the umps stopped paying those free kicks, the practice would disappear overnight, because without the possibility of drawing a free, its not an effective way to dispose of the ball.

bornadog
13-05-2016, 11:56 PM
Lets not pretend that he and a few others in the league dont play for head high free kicks. Personally I dont like any player playing for any kind of free kicks.

But OK, I dont particularly care if he tries to 'evade' a tackle by going low - its the free kick I object to. If the umps stopped paying those free kicks, the practice would disappear overnight, because without the possibility of drawing a free, its not an effective way to dispose of the ball.

How about the tackler, tackles properly and not around or close to the shoulders.

Bulldog Joe
14-05-2016, 10:12 AM

Sorry Stefoid.
Just can't agree with your point.

They have stopped the leading with the head frees, that were a feature of the play of Daniel Cross.

What McLean has done is develop a technique that makes it very difficult for a tackler to get him legally (that is NOT HIGH) and prevent him disposing of the ball. He will stop getting the frees when someone finds a technique to pin him legally.

Ghost Dog
14-05-2016, 10:24 AM
Sorry Stefoid.
Just can't agree with your point.

They have stopped the leading with the head frees, that were a feature of the play of Daniel Cross.

What McLean has done is develop a technique that makes it very difficult for a tackler to get him legally (that is NOT HIGH) and prevent him disposing of the ball. He will stop getting the frees when someone finds a technique to pin him legally.

If you look at the still images, Dale can put his body at an angle and push his head into the tackler's arm if it's at shoulder height.
They are going to have to go for the hips and allow him to dispose or coral him. But good for him, he has a good evasion technique and it's up to the opposition to do something about it. I'll be annoyed if they change the rules again.

comrade
14-05-2016, 12:06 PM

But if the tackle ends up around his neck, why would the umpire let it go?

And secondly, if you'd rather McLean didn't try to shrug off a tackle that is around his arms, what would you prefer him to do?

comrade
14-05-2016, 12:08 PM
If you look at the still images, Dale can put his body at an angle and push his head into the tackler's arm if it's at shoulder height.
They are going to have to go for the hips and allow him to dispose or coral him. But good for him, he has a good evasion technique and it's up to the opposition to do something about it. I'll be annoyed if they change the rules again.

Exactly. The onus is on the tackler to go around the hips if they want to avoid any chance of infringing. Not sure why this isn't obvious.

F'scary
14-05-2016, 12:08 PM
Our pinball style of play leaves our opposition forever lunging at us. They get frustrated, the tackle attempts become clumsy. McLean just takes a lot of his possessions in spots where the top flippers are close to the bumpers.

stefoid
14-05-2016, 04:34 PM
But if the tackle ends up around his neck, why would the umpire let it go?

And secondly, if you'd rather McLean didn't try to shrug off a tackle that is around his arms, what would you prefer him to do?

1) The umpire should let it go if the player himself initiated the high contact, in the same way as someone who propels themselves into someone elses knees or midriff shouldnt get a free , or someone who throws themselves forward at the first hint of a touch to the back shouldnt get a free.

2) Dont let yourself get pinned around the arms - hold them high, keep your head high so you can see who to get the ball to and get the ball to them, just like most of our other midfielders do regardless of their size. I dont want to hear any guff about Mclean being small and its not his fault wen we have guys like dalhaus and of course daniel who are smaler, go harder and manage to get their disposal away without holding the game up and letting the opposition run to their defensive positions.

Dont really have anything else to say about this. Mclean is a good player, but he would be a better one if he concentrated more on disposal than milking frees

SonofScray
19-05-2016, 01:00 AM
There is a video doing the rounds of every free kick he has received this year which is creating plenty of discussion re: ducking. About 75% of them are legitimate frees where he gets nailed around the neck, but I accept he is exceptional drawing high contact. I thought on the weekend the umpires let a few go that they might have otherwise paid previously. Hopefully he doesn't get a reputation for embellishment and start missing out on legitimate frees.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-05-2016, 08:15 AM
There is a video doing the rounds of every free kick he has received this year which is creating plenty of discussion re: ducking. About 75% of them are legitimate frees where he gets nailed around the neck, but I accept he is exceptional drawing high contact. I thought on the weekend the umpires let a few go that they might have otherwise paid previously. Hopefully he doesn't get a reputation for embellishment and start missing out on legitimate frees.

i thought on the whole the umps let more high tackle frees go against us than usual, not just Toby's. I think this may have been more to do with Adelaide than anything else. Macrae was tackled and held in a headlock at one point and no free was paid until the melbourne player sat on him which resulted in an in the back free

KT31
19-05-2016, 08:18 AM
i thought on the whole the umps let more high tackle frees go against us than usual, not just Toby's. I think this may have been more to do with Adelaide than anything else. Macrae was tackled and held in a headlock at one point and no free was paid until the melbourne player sat on him which resulted in an in the back free

Then the Dee's player got up and remonstrated against giving away the free kick.

Happy Days
19-05-2016, 12:54 PM
The "cheating" of McLean (for the record, still think he's a diver, still think it's awesome) is really getting in the way of the wider footballing public (read: not us) discussing everything else he's doing. He gets the ball a lot, uses it very well, and kicks goals.

He's a fantastic footballer who isn't getting the recognition he deserves, because there's nothing idiotic hot taker "analysts" like doing more than not talking about what players do with the ball (see: Rioli, C.)

bornadog
19-05-2016, 01:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVZ4ITX7Sa4&feature=youtu.be

Twodogs
19-05-2016, 01:03 PM
The "cheating" of McLean (for the record, still think he's a diver, still think it's awesome) is really getting in the way of the wider footballing public (read: not us) discussing everything else he's doing. He gets the ball a lot, uses it very well, and kicks goals.

He's a fantastic footballer who isn't getting the recognition he deserves, because there's nothing idiotic hot taker "analysts" like doing more than not talking about what players do with the ball (see: Rioli, C.)

Isn't it awesome?

He's quite a player. As you say he pretty much excels at all the basic skills of the game, jumping and kicking and slotting sausage rolls.

hujsh
19-05-2016, 01:18 PM
He just slants and leans in a way that he could be changing direction or dodging or he could be drawing a free. It's hard to tell

Mofra
19-05-2016, 02:15 PM
He's copping a whack to the head and/or neck when he gets them - hard to say he doesn't deserve them if he's going to cop the hit.

comrade
19-05-2016, 02:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVZ4ITX7Sa4&feature=youtu.be

Love this video, was hoping someone would make one. I cheered at every one of these...

Twodogs
19-05-2016, 02:40 PM
I don't know what the problem is. In nearly every example Madge is trying to evade his opponent's grasp and it's usually a clumsy forearm that's offended. If the tackler had tackled properly at the hips McLean wouldn't be going anywhere. But they have tried to trap the arm as well and that gives him time and space to get his arm and body free of the tackle and the tacklers arm hits McLean around the neck or head.

Tackle him properly and there would be no problem.

soupman
19-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Watching that video actually made me think he is less of a stager than i thought, although he makes high contact very obvious at times and does this drop turn which either means they get him high or he drives past them .

Based on the video I deemed:
1. Freo player was coming in hot but McLean drops so probably creates it
2. Freo game can't tell from video
3. Saints game he drops for the contact drawing the free
4. Saints game he turns and the free is not created by him
5. Hawks he drops for contact
6. Hawks game he drops and turns. Borderline but probably ok
7. Hawks game can't tell
8. Tries to dodge around players, Cripps nearly kills him regardless of dropping
9. Carlton awkward ground ball bump that gets paid regardless of McLeans involvement
10. Brisbane free he drops for it
11. Brisbane game Taylor is clumsy
12. North game no idea
13. Adelaide game Talia started high
14. Dee's game Jones started well high
15. Dee's game Bugg started high

When I say he drops I mean he lowers his body just that little bit which causes it to go around his neck instead of borderline shoulder. He really plays up the contact which explains why he looks like he is getting beheaded in half of them, which i understand opposition fans hating.

So i have him creating 4 of the 12 free's you can actually see on that video, with another borderline one. He does play very low to the ground, he has low hips and tends to be angled meaning players are usually coming in from above and at short notice. He doesn't dive but he does make it very hard to tackle him without conceding a free.

bornadog
30-09-2016, 09:22 PM
Toby McLean is no stranger to adversity and it is driving him to AFL success (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/toby-mclean-is-no-stranger-to-adversity-and-it-is-driving-him-to-afl-success/news-story/ee0a9fb2b65ac41da06d215ad24a0f18)

TOBY McLean was red in the face, exhausted by hard running.
He’d just completed a 3km time trial during the Dandenong Stingrays’ pre-season.
Soon after finishing he was dragged to the side of the oval and unceremoniously cut from the squad.

McLean was red in the face again, this time with devastation and a lasting bitterness.
Talent manager Mark Wheeler said McLean’s fitness levels were “miles off ”, his defensive game was poor and the Stingrays wanted to give selection preference to Jack Lonie and Bailey Dale.

No stranger to adversity, McLean embodies the resilience that has powered the Bulldogs in September.

When McLean was 12, he and his older brother played in premierships — Toby for Mossgiel Park and Sam for Narre Warren North Foxes.

Not long after and their father, Ian McLean, died of skin cancer, aged 43.

It was a short battle with melanoma — about 12 months — and it shattered the family, as well as the local community.
Saturday, McLean, 20, will step on to the MCG for a Grand Final in just his 19th game with one wish in mind.

“If my dad was still alive, I hope he’d be proud of me,” he said.

If my dad was still alive, I hope he’d be proud of me.
The Narre Warren boy presents as a sensitive soul, a quiet achiever around Whitten Oval.

But beneath the surface he’s a fighter. It might be tender Toby, but it’s also tough Toby, evidenced by his animal-like final quarter against GWS.

“It (Ian’s death) changed my life quite dramatically,” McLean said.

“You go from having two parents, happy family, and then …

“Not all of us dealt with it very well. My sister dealt with it pretty harshly, she was the youngest out of everyone, so she didn’t really know what to do.

“A bit like myself, I was only 12. But mum (Heather) was pretty good, she was quite strong.

“She’s had to do a lot of both sides of the parenting. I really look up to my mum.”

There were tears for weeks, and a holiday with Ian’s sister as the grieving family sought a distraction.

Saturday, the south-east community - which howled in disapproval at Toby’s Stingrays axing - will be thinking about McLean, the son of a local legend.

According to Ian’s obituary in the Dandenong Leader, he was a fine athlete, a good cricketer, a gun footballer, a keen golfer and a champion fellow.

His two footy clubs, Keysborough and Rythdale-Officer Cardinia, now play for the Ian McLean Memorial Shield.

Ian owned a menacing - but fair - hip-and-shoulder and, like Toby, could leap high for a mark.

“Not as high as me!” Toby quips, “but there’s a few photos I’ve seen of him taking pack marks.

“I didn’t get to watch my dad play a lot, because he died when I was quite young, but I hear from a lot of people that he was a great player.

“We’re quite different. He was a bigger man, my brother’s got more of his stature.”

Heather was a netballer with a nice jump and Toby, blessed with plenty of talent, has made a habit of standing out.
After the Dandenong rejection, he shone with 58 goals for Narre Warren.

In 2014, he asked for a go at Oakleigh Chargers, with the help of local coach Dean Irwin.

McLean rocked up to his first Chargers session in a Stingrays singlet and was promptly nicknamed ‘Stingray’.
He couldn’t help standing out, and a change of clothes wasn’t going to help.

“We quickly got him some Chargers gear, and then he stood out with his training,” Oakleigh Chargers coach Michael Stinear said.

From the first game he played for Oakleigh, where they didn’t have his number in the record, he stood out with his footy smarts.

“His athleticism, the way he moves and his decision-making — he was one step ahead of everyone else.”
It was a similar story when Dogs recruiter Simon Dalrymple locked eyes on the wiry teenager.

“From the first game he played for Oakleigh, where they didn’t have his number in the record, he stood out with his footy smarts,” Dalrymple said.

“He’s got the ability to win the ball in the air, at ground level and he’s got some cunning about him in the way he makes decisions and really good game sense.”

A video of McLean taking a goalline hanger went viral in 2014 and was aired on The Footy Show.
During a Chargers bye, McLean returned to the Narre seniors and slotted eight goals.

McLean’s final stage to show off was the TAC Cup Grand Final - where he won the medal for best afield.
“I guess (the medal) sort of shows the talent manager over there (Dandenong) doesn’t really know what he’s doing, does he?” McLean said.

“And I’m happy to say that. They had no belief or faith in me.”
Stinear and Wheeler agree the Dandenong cull was the spur McLean needed, and he was drafted from Oakleigh at No.26 — before any Stingray.

The Dogs can't drop Toby McLean for Lin Jong. He has been amazing in the finals. So it's Jong, Fletcher Roberts or Suckling. Am I right?
It was the Dogs’ first pick and it’s proved a popular one at the kennel, McLean inheriting ex-captain Ryan Griffen’s No.16.

“Elite hops” is how Johannisen describes McLean’s penchant for high marks.
“He’s going to be a pretty special player,” finals star Clay Smith says.

“He’s lightly built, but he can jump in the air and he’s just got that little bit of X-factor about him.”

Dale Morris says McLean is “a little ripper” — and much more than a flashy forward.
“He’s got super talent. He can jump on someone’s head and take a mark, but he doesn’t mind getting his hands dirty and laying those hard tackles and doing the tough things.”

McLean spends two nights a week living with Morris, 33, and the veteran loves it because he gets a free babysitter.
“My eldest, Riley, wants to copy his hairstyle. He’s got this whisp thing going on, and he doesn’t want to copy his old man — he’s all over Toby.”

Riley might have cottoned on, but Smith won’t be copying McLean.
“He tends to get around in trackies and thongs. Not even thongs, like little sandal things with velcro over the top of the feet,” Smith said.

“And his taste in music isn’t the greatest. I remember him putting up a photo of a Sam Smith album on Instagram and had a good laugh.”

Both are hoping to unite their styles on Saturday night - belting out ‘Sons of the West’ and sporting some new gold bling around their necks as the Dogs chase their first flag in 62 years.

And Ian McLean would be front and centre in his son’s mind.

“I think about him after games,” McLean said.
“I get a lot of family saying he would be proud. And that means quite a bit.”

bulldogtragic
30-09-2016, 09:27 PM
We are all really proud of Toby.

LostDoggy
01-10-2016, 06:22 AM
What an absolute Ripper!

ratsmac
01-10-2016, 08:10 AM
I hope the stingrays took their recruiter to the side of the oval and unceremoniously sacked him after Toby got BOG in the TAC grand final and the picked up before any Dandenong player.

I love this kid and think he might be little better known after today in the GF.

GVGjr
01-10-2016, 09:25 AM
I hope the stingrays took their recruiter to the side of the oval and unceremoniously sacked him after Toby got BOG in the TAC grand final and the picked up before any Dandenong player.

I love this kid and think he might be little better known after today in the GF.

Yow would have to this it was the coach who cut him from the list.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2016, 04:48 PM
Great goal & 3 free kicks yesterday.

His season for frees: 32 for, 5 against. Net +27 free kicks.

comrade
02-10-2016, 04:57 PM
Great goal & 3 free kicks yesterday.

His season for frees: 32 for, 5 against. Net +27 free kicks.

Has a unique and legal skill that we've exploited and it's helped us secure a flag.

One of my absolute favourites and will only get better.

Ozza
02-10-2016, 10:48 PM
How classy was his gather and snap for goal.

FrediKanoute
02-10-2016, 10:56 PM
I think he will get better and become a nice outside spread type player for us. Can still win the hard ball and not afraid to go when its his turn, but his ability to get away from a contest is great.

azabob
03-10-2016, 09:30 AM
His overhead marking is going to be huge when he gets stronger especially in pack situations.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-10-2016, 11:06 AM
Can't wait for him to take a Pickenesque grab. We would be wrapt to recruit him in any era but he was born to fit into this team.

bornadog
03-10-2016, 11:42 AM
Love Toby, all guts.

LostDoggy
05-10-2016, 12:18 AM
TM has a 15-4 record in his 19 games. No Dog in history has a better win rate.

comrade
05-10-2016, 01:54 PM
MAGIC!

I'm probably going to get a 38 on the premiership jumper, but geez, I'm tempted to get a 16. Love the kid and he's only going to get better.

His drawing of the free kick to end the GF was the sweetest icing on the most delicious cake ever, as anyone who knows me knows that there is nothing I enjoy more than a Toby high tackle free.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Danny when MC'ing the after party at the MCG Saturday night: "Look, I don't have any favourites. But Toby is my favourite".

LostDoggy
05-10-2016, 10:38 PM
I love a Bulldog who incenses non-Bulldogs. Yay Toby.

azabob
26-06-2022, 04:06 PM
Do we see McLean playing a role this year?

Prior to injuring his knee he was playing as a defensive midfielder.

We haven’t exactly had anyone play this role since and as a team we do have a tendency to let opposition midfielders run riot.

bornadog
26-06-2022, 04:30 PM

We haven’t exactly had anyone play this role since and as a team we do have a tendency to let opposition midfielders run riot.

How would he go as a small defender to take over from Duryea?

azabob
26-06-2022, 04:36 PM
How would he go as a small defender to take over from Duryea?

Not a bad suggestion. He might struggle with pace and agility on players like Charlie Cameron but he certainly will die trying.

bornadog
26-06-2022, 04:40 PM
Not a bad suggestion. He might struggle with pace and agility on players like Charlie Cameron but he certainly will die trying.

Not sure how much that ACL has slowed him down, but he did have a little pace previously

GVGjr
26-06-2022, 05:14 PM

Others are ahead of him but yes he can play a role for us.

jeemak
26-06-2022, 06:40 PM
I think he's in line for the McComb and McNeil roles.

If he's fit in two weeks time Beveridge will pick him.

GVGjr
26-06-2022, 06:47 PM

I think so, he will need to stay injury free in those 2 weeks.

bornadog
26-06-2022, 10:19 PM

But But McNeil is ranked 17th in AFL for inside 50 tackles, don't look at his disposal stats.:D

MrMahatma
26-06-2022, 10:22 PM
He’s better than McCombe and McNeil always. And a couple others depending on form.

I hope we see him this year. Means we’re still in the mix.

Grantysghost
27-06-2022, 12:16 AM
He’s better than McCombe and McNeil always. And a couple others depending on form.

I hope we see him this year. Means we’re still in the mix.

It's a mac off.

I'd rank them in this order.

McNeil
McLean
Jessie Glass-McCasker
A cold big Mac.
McComb.

MrMahatma
27-06-2022, 12:37 AM
It's a mac off.

I'd rank them in this order.

McNeil
McLean
Jessie Glass-McCasker
A cold big Mac.
McComb.

Sure but if you had to rank all those who you’re not the father of?

The Bulldogs Bite
27-06-2022, 11:17 AM
I was a big McLean fan prior to the injuries.

Hoping he can stay injury free and get a good run at it.

Versatile team first player who can win his own ball but also use it well. Easily in our 22 when fit.

Swoop
09-10-2022, 10:55 PM
I'm keen to hear people's thoughts on Toby McLean and where he's at heading into 2023.

He's been robbed of the last few years due to significant injury but he got continuity in the latter stages of the year which was capped off with finals selection.

Can he return back to his best? Can he force his way into our best 22? What role is he best suited to?

GVGjr
09-10-2022, 10:58 PM
I'm keen to hear people's thoughts on Toby McLean and where he's at heading into 2023.

He's been robbed of the last few years due to significant injury but he got continuity in the latter stages of the year which was capped off with finals selection.

Can he return back to his best? Can he force his way into our best 22? What role is he best suited to?

I'm quite hopeful that McLean can re-establish himself in the team as a forward flanker who can take some spells in the midfield now that Dunkley is going. Not sure he can get back to his best but he as the ability to hold his spot.

Sedat
09-10-2022, 11:22 PM

I've been vocal and very bullish about McLean having the ability to become our George Hewitt defensive-minded mid, and his performance in the EF did noting to quell my enthusiasm. He was quite outstanding considering he came into a final completely cold and off the back of no AFL football.

We desperately need to get the attack/defensive midfield mix right (truth be told, we needed to do it 12 months earlier after the 2021 GF). We can't have our mids all going bees to the honeypot, and McLean has the ability and smarts to be able to provide the necessary defensive cover at stoppages, which we will need as we appear to be continuing to prioritise English as our no 1 ruck.

Go_Dogs
10-10-2022, 06:56 AM
He showed early in the final he can accumulate and be impactful at AFL level. Just needs continuity.

I’d be backing him in to take a large number of Dunks’ midfield minutes.

EasternWest
10-10-2022, 02:54 PM
I've been vocal and very bullish about McLean having the ability to become our George Hewitt defensive-minded mid, and his performance in the EF did noting to quell my enthusiasm. He was quite outstanding considering he came into a final completely cold and off the back of no AFL football.

We desperately need to get the attack/defensive midfield mix right (truth be told, we needed to do it 12 months earlier after the 2021 GF). We can't have our mids all going bees to the honeypot, and McLean has the ability and smarts to be able to provide the necessary defensive cover at stoppages, which we will need as we appear to be continuing to prioritise English as our no 1 ruck.

Can't agree with this more. Quality player who belongs at the top level and has the hard nose that a lot of our players are lacking, despite looking like Tim Chalamet.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2022, 02:58 PM

This.

McLean is so underrated. Two years of significant injury will do that to you, but he's such a savvy, clever player who knows his game well and understands the dynamics of a team. His ability to position himself at stoppage is actually bloody good - his efforts deep in the '16 PF still go unnoticed, and his effort in Q1 vs Freo EF were outstanding.

He's hard at it and team first, we're desperate for him to remain fit and healthy.

josie
10-10-2022, 03:28 PM
Agree TBB, Maclean in PF was excellent. His work on ball around ground was outstanding. He was brave, feisty and team first oriented. Hope his bad luck with injuries is over. If he can return 70 to 80% of what he was prior to the Acl’s he’ll be great for us.

F'scary
10-10-2022, 08:11 PM
Quality player, we really need him to continue with his successful (to date) reintroduction to senior footy. It looked to me like he has changed his game a little, looked to have gained strength in his upper body and was playing inside more.

Mofra
13-10-2022, 03:43 PM
He has to be close to a lock for our most improved player next year.
A full pre-season to get more confidence in his body, as most players simply don't have it post-ACL until they have significant game time under their belt.
Genuine forward nous which means he can play that 50/50 role we need. I'm pretty bullish on his output and comparing his 2018 season with Dunkley they are actually comparable.
We all may have forgotten just what Toby can offer and I'm as excited about a fit McLean in 2023 as I am about any player on our list (I almost started a new thread about him).

GVGjr
13-10-2022, 04:27 PM
A full pre-season to get more confidence in his body, as most players simply don't have it post-ACL until they have significant game time under their belt.
Genuine forward nous which means he can play that 50/50 role we need. I'm pretty bullish on his output and comparing his 2018 season with Dunkley they are actually comparable.
We all may have forgotten just what Toby can offer and I'm as excited about a fit McLean in 2023 as I am about any player on our list (I almost started a new thread about him).

I'm holding high hopes for Toby Mac. He just needs to stay injury free.

bornadog
13-10-2022, 04:30 PM

Good call. He will be 27 at the start of next year, so should be at his peak.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-10-2022, 09:00 PM

Missing 2 years has been a big blow to us, and to him, given 25+ is generally a player's peak.

Let's hope he gets a good run at it - he has everything else.

Bulldog Revolution
13-10-2022, 10:36 PM
Worth having a look at how many times McLean gets his hands on the ball in the last quarter of 2016 prelim final against GWS - it was an underrated brilliant performance by young Toby.

Really hope he gets a good run at - quality player and person

jeemak
13-10-2022, 11:34 PM

I'm going to go and cry for a bit. BRB.

Twodogs
14-10-2022, 02:10 AM
I'm a big fan of Toby and we are a much better team with him in it. I really hope that he plays 25 games next year.

angelopetraglia
13-10-2023, 05:13 PM
Premiership Bulldog McLean departs Kennel

Premiership Western Bulldog Toby McLean has been advised that he will not be offered a contract for the 2024 season.

Premiership Western Bulldog Toby McLean has been advised that he will not be offered a contract for the 2024 season.

The 27-year-old played 102 games over nine seasons after being drafted at Pick 26 in the 2014 National Draft.

McLean played a pivotal role in the 2016 Premiership triumph, collecting 18 touches and kicking a goal in the historic victory.

The midfielder faced plenty of adversity throughout his career, suffering two ACL injuries across three seasons, before returning for the Elimination Final loss to Fremantle last season.

McLean managed six AFL games this season, while being an integral part of Footscray?s push to a semi-final appearance in the VFL.

Bulldogs? General Manager of List and Recruiting Sam Power thanked McLean for his contribution over nearly a decade at the Kennel.

?Toby has been a heart and soul player for the Western Bulldogs over a long period and will always be remembered for playing a role in the 2016 Premiership victory.

?A very popular team man, Toby went out of his way to help all his teammates and would play selfless roles for the team on the field.?

?Given the outcomes of the trade period to date and the future direction of the list, we?ve decided to make this further change now,? Power said.

?We wish Toby all the best with his future endeavours and he?ll always be welcome back at VU Whitten Oval.?

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1451493/thank-you-toby-mclean

angelopetraglia
13-10-2023, 05:14 PM
Will be forever a Bulldog Legend. He was never the same after those ACLs. Go well Toby.

EasternWest
13-10-2023, 05:14 PM
Not unexpected, still sucks.

BullGod.

angelopetraglia
13-10-2023, 05:15 PM
I think acquiring James Harmes was probably the straw that broke the Camel's back for Toby.

The Underdog
13-10-2023, 05:20 PM
Not unexpected, still sucks.

BullGod.

Yeah, this. Feel like the ACL’s put him behind the 8-ball and he just lost that ability to cover the ground. Had the ball in his hands at the final siren in 2016.

Scraggers
13-10-2023, 05:27 PM
Wore number 16 in 2016. Always a BullGod

angelopetraglia
13-10-2023, 05:30 PM
He was so impressive in his first few years, I thought he could be anything. Two ACLs in three years is hard to recover from and he just lost a little bit of zip and agility that impacted his game. It can be such a cruel game at times.

The Underdog
13-10-2023, 05:34 PM
Wore number 16 in 2016. Always a BullGod

And now it’s freed up for Jordan Croft

chef
13-10-2023, 05:35 PM
Making it to 102 games could be handy in the future

Rocket Science
13-10-2023, 05:43 PM
Ah jeez.

Entertained fanciful notions he might've been able to fill some of the breach left by Junkley with his bigger frame, some inside rotations and cameos up forward but that clearly wasn't to be.

And then there were four ... 2016 suddenly seems an eternity ago.

1eyedog
13-10-2023, 05:45 PM
Faaaaaaaark !

1eyedog
13-10-2023, 05:58 PM
Tobias > Harmes just sayin'.

MrMahatma
13-10-2023, 06:07 PM
All the best Toby. You’ve been a wonderful player for our club and we all respect and thank you for the efforts you’ve always put in for the R, W, B.

The bulldog tragician
13-10-2023, 06:22 PM
Makes me sadder than I would have thought. He looked like a teenage emo in 2016 and played well in the GF. Much stronger and braver than his slight frame suggested.

I didn’t think he got much of a go this year, and when I saw we recruited Harmes, knew his time would be up.

Still just 27, but his body has not been resilient. The age profile of our flag team suggested a young core that would contend again but it hasn’t been the case. Crazy to think that Tom Boyd is just 28 for example. This game is brutal. Thanks Toby for your part in that amazing time.

GVGjr
13-10-2023, 06:25 PM
A genuinely invested player. Heart and soul is a good description. He will be missed.

So that leaves just 5 players from the premiership side?

whythelongface
13-10-2023, 06:44 PM
This sucks. I get the decision and understand it, but it still sucks. Good luck Tobes. A Bulldogs legend.

Twodogs
13-10-2023, 06:48 PM
A real shame. Hopefully Toby gets another chance with another club

Rocket Science
13-10-2023, 06:54 PM
A genuinely invested player. Heart and soul is a good description. He will be missed.

So that leaves just 5 players from the premiership side?

Just Bont, Jacko, Libba & JJ I fear?

I still pine for the dynasty we never had.

GVGjr
13-10-2023, 06:58 PM

And Caleb

Grantysghost
13-10-2023, 06:59 PM

Caleb.

Smads57
13-10-2023, 08:05 PM
Can't help but be saddened by this decision....one of my faves over the years.

The Pie Man
13-10-2023, 08:06 PM
I’ll remember Tobes very fondly, even it is for boiling opposition fans piss for high frees.

He could really play, underrated inside mid at his best, had some very high possession games pre injury.

Go well Toby

bulldogtragic
13-10-2023, 08:08 PM
All the best Toby.

Danny McGinlay introducing the players into the ground after the GF at the concert. “I can’t say I have a favourite, but Toby is my favourite”

Forever immortalised with the Tom Boyd goal. Shame both their bodies failed their talent.

bornadog
13-10-2023, 08:55 PM
What a shame for him but the right call.
all the best for his next stage in life

G-Mo77
13-10-2023, 09:08 PM
What a shame for him but the right call.
all the best for his next stage in life

Hopefully playing on at another club.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2023, 09:09 PM
Hopefully playing on at another club.

Anyone could’ve grabbed him as a free agent by now. I’m not holding out much hope him playing on unfortunately.

josie
13-10-2023, 09:32 PM
The goal he kicked twisting his body (& around the corner special) just before half time in 2016 GF was crucial. I do wonder if that gave us confidence only being 2 points down to come out fighting so well in 2nd half.

Also think Tobes was excellent in 2016 PF.

Thought he was close to BOG when we dominated first half of elimination final against Dockers last year too.

Thankyou Toby, always a Bullgod and wishing you all the best. Hope another club takes a punt. A good mentor to the young ones in VFL. Selfless player.

Rocket Science
13-10-2023, 09:36 PM
And Caleb

Okay fine, four and a half then.

I'll see myself out.

kruder
13-10-2023, 09:42 PM
Yeah sad day. Thanks Toby!

G-Mo77
13-10-2023, 10:06 PM
Anyone could’ve grabbed him as a free agent by now. I’m not holding out much hope him playing on unfortunately.

He's only just been delisted. He can’t get signed by anyone else.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2023, 10:10 PM
He's only just been delisted. He can’t get signed by anyone else.

He’s been an unrestricted free agent during the free agent period. Free to have moved at any point in the last week. Now he’s a delisted free agent which makes zero difference to clubs. Best case he is asked to train to take up a rookie spot somewhere. Wouldn’t put my money on it.

Scorlibo
13-10-2023, 10:18 PM
The goal he kicked twisting his body (& around the corner special) just before half time in 2016 GF was crucial. I do wonder if that gave us confidence only being 2 points down to come out fighting so well in 2nd half.

Also think Tobes was excellent in 2016 PF.

Thought he was close to BOG when we dominated first half of elimination final against Dockers last year too.

Thankyou Toby, always a Bullgod and wishing you all the best. Hope another club takes a punt. A good mentor to the young ones in VFL. Selfless player.

Yep great finals player, key contributor in 2016. One of the players who epitomised our youthful surge footy.

Thanks Toby, you were a fave for me as well. Best smile since Johnno.

G-Mo77
13-10-2023, 10:23 PM
He?s been an unrestricted free agent during the free agent period. Free to have moved at any point in the last week. Now he?s a delisted free agent which makes zero difference to clubs. Best case he is asked to train to take up a rookie spot somewhere. Wouldn?t put my money on it.

Ahh, gotcha. I think he'll find a home.

FrediKanoute
13-10-2023, 10:33 PM
Thanks Toby and good luck. Injuries cruelled a career. Fingers crossed he gets picked up!

Go_Dogs
14-10-2023, 01:02 PM
He obviously worked hard coming back from injury but his body changed significantly I feel and he just lost the pace and agility he had. A career to be proud of. Well done Toby and best of luck for whatever is next.

jazzadogs
14-10-2023, 01:44 PM
I enjoy reading back the first few pages of threads like this, when a career ends or player gets traded.

Some Woofers were rightfully very happy when we picked Toby. Despite his injuries, 102 games and a flag is a good return for a player picked in the 20s.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2023, 01:46 PM
I enjoy reading back the first few pages of threads like this, when a career ends or player gets traded.

Some Woofers were rightfully very happy when we picked Toby. Despite his injuries, 102 games and a flag is a good return for a player picked in the 20s.

102 games!

Get on with having babies Toby. As many as you can. One for the mother. One for the father. And 12 for the footy club.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-10-2023, 01:49 PM
Unfortunately cut down cruelly by those two ACL'S just as he was primed to step up to another level.

I was really hoping he'd be able to overcome his injuries, as at his best he improves our side.

All the best Toby, always a Bulldog premiership hero.

Bulldog4life
14-10-2023, 05:57 PM
Who'll play the hairdresser now?

Eastdog
14-10-2023, 08:27 PM
Sad to see Toby go. Will be forever a premiership player for us.

I remember that goal he kicked before half time in the 2016 grand final. Was very important in the context of that game.

Injuries caught up and it got very difficult.

Wish Toby all the best for the future.

bornadog
14-10-2023, 08:45 PM
Sad to see Toby go. Will be forever a premiership player for us.

I remember that goal he kicked before half time in the 2016 grand final. Was very important in the context of that game.

Injuries caught up and it got very difficult.

Wish Toby all the best for the future.

One of the great moments of the GF

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2019/11/30/05637058-c7b0-4e45-9ea6-c9ed754e0009/xEoavOHN.jpg?width=1200&height=630

EasternWest
14-10-2023, 11:24 PM

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2019/11/30/05637058-c7b0-4e45-9ea6-c9ed754e0009/xEoavOHN.jpg?width=1200&height=630

Still reckon Tommy didn't even know Toby was there.

Far out Tom Boyd had a game that day didn't he?

bornadog
15-10-2023, 12:09 AM
Still reckon Tommy didn't even know Toby was there.

Far out Tom Boyd had a game that day didn't he?

Tom ran around like he had no one on his back

Eastdog
15-10-2023, 12:39 AM

Iconic photo along with Moz tackle on Buddy.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2023, 07:54 AM
I maintain we should have a statue at WO from each premiership, with that the 2016 one.

EasternWest
15-10-2023, 10:02 AM
I maintain we should have a statue at WO from each premiership, with that the 2016 one.

Seconded.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-10-2023, 10:09 AM
Seconded.

In a similar vein, for our 2021 premiership loss, can we build an online statue celebrating GG's post GF meltdown?

Grantysghost
15-10-2023, 11:41 AM
In a similar vein, for our 2021 premiership loss, can we build an online statue celebrating GG's post GF meltdown?

How dare you!

Also : already is one.

https://i.postimg.cc/rsD12pNX/Screenshot-20231015-113920.png (https://postimg.cc/ctNgQ0zX)

Lucky it was a fake GF or I mightve died.

bornadog
15-10-2023, 04:36 PM
Lucky it was a fake GF or I mightve died.

All the anxiety for nothing

bornadog
15-10-2023, 04:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F8cLm4fbYAACFOk?format=jpg&name=large

EasternWest
15-10-2023, 05:55 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F8cLm4fbYAACFOk?format=jpg&name=large

What a quality human. Loved him in our colours.

merantau
19-10-2023, 07:11 PM
All the best Toby. You are a Premiership Hero and your name will live on for eternity.

Twodogs
19-10-2023, 08:36 PM
All the best Toby. You are a Premiership Hero and your name will live on for eternity.

Forever a Bullgod.

Testekill
20-10-2023, 04:32 PM
Would love Toby to maybe stick around Footscray as a captain or vice captain but he was sadly no longer capable of keeping up at AFL level. Can never take away being a premiership hero, his goal before halftime was huge for stopping Sydney's momentum.