PDA

View Full Version : Higgins stars in first preseason with North Melbourne Kangaroos

F'scary
04-01-2015, 09:34 AM
From the Age article "AFL teams return to pre-season training with injuries under control," published 3/1/15:

NORTH MELBOURNE

The preliminary finalists would have been very pleased with what they saw from former Bulldog Shaun Higgins in the lead-up to Christmas

The Doctor
04-01-2015, 09:35 AM
zzzzzzzz!

LostDoggy
04-01-2015, 10:15 AM
Groundhog Day

bulldogtragic
04-01-2015, 10:26 AM
Now a north supporters can feel it too...

Topdog
04-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Honestly who cares?

A) Everyone "stars" in preseason.
B) We all know Higgo is a fairly good player.
C) We were compensated pretty well.
D) It was a good time for him to move on.

Good luck to him and North. They won't be challenging when we are ready.

The Underdog
04-01-2015, 11:13 AM
He might be a better player with North but he never would have become that player with us. Much like Cooney he'll likely benefit from going to a club where he's not one of the top dogs in the change rooms (pardon the pun)

bornadog
04-01-2015, 11:28 AM
With all due respect, we have moved on and I for one don't care about ex players. There are about 12 playing for other clubs and I really don't want to know how they are travelling.

F'scary
04-01-2015, 11:34 AM
With all due respect, we have moved on and I for one don't care about ex players. There are about 12 playing for other clubs and I really don't want to know how they are travelling.

Thought you would be interested to hear that Higgins is having a great preseason.

BulldogBelle
04-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Groundhog Day

Might make a great movie:p

Twodogs
04-01-2015, 08:01 PM

Is that figure of 12 correct BAD? I was wondering how many ex bulldogs there were on other club's lists the other day, got about halfway through counting it all up and lost interest. Carlton had an quite a few ex bulldogs and players from other clubs full stop.

chef
04-01-2015, 08:02 PM
meh, I couldn't care less.

Greystache
04-01-2015, 08:05 PM
That's the great thing about preseason, it doesn't require body contact or defensive efforts. Higgins was born to play preseason.

boydogs
04-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Is that figure of 12 correct BAD? I was wondering how many ex bulldogs there were on other club's lists the other day, got about halfway through counting it all up and lost interest. Carlton had an quite a few ex bulldogs and players from other clubs full stop.

I get 12

Dylan Addison
Adam Cooney
Daniel Cross
Andrejs Everitt
Ryan Griffen
Jarrod Harbrow
Shaun Higgins
Josh Hill
Liam Jones
Farren Ray
Jason Tutt
Callan Ward

chef
04-01-2015, 08:59 PM
Really only 3(Ward, Harbrow and Griffin) are worth being upset about.

jeemak
04-01-2015, 09:12 PM

Lost interest after 6! Love it.

Twodogs
04-01-2015, 10:52 PM
Lost interest after 6! Love it.

It was finicky work and I kept getting interrupted. I am by nature a lazy person also which doesn't help.

And every now and then I get a flash of how pointless the task that is currently occupying all my attention.

jeemak
05-01-2015, 01:25 AM
It was finicky work and I kept getting interrupted. I am by nature a lazy person also which doesn't help.

And every now and then I get a flash of how pointless the task that is currently occupying all my attention.

I can see you at your work desk with a feather and ink pen struggling away at the task. My emotion towards this is one mixed with happiness and pity.

hujsh
05-01-2015, 02:33 AM
I'm certainly not tired of hearing about how great a season Shaun Higgins is going to have. Looking forward to January next year already.

Twodogs
05-01-2015, 03:57 AM
I can see you at your work desk with a feather and ink pen struggling away at the task. My emotion towards this is one mixed with happiness and pity.

I was pretty happy with my effort. Pity t didn't lead anywhere.

Jeanette54
07-01-2015, 10:51 PM
I get 12

Dylan Addison
Adam Cooney
Daniel Cross
Andrejs Everitt
Ryan Griffen
Jarrod Harbrow
Shaun Higgins
Josh Hill
Liam Jones
Farren Ray
Jason Tutt
Callan Ward

I understand why it happened, but I will always be sorry that Daniel Cross wasn't given the opportunity to retire as a one club player. If anybody ever earned that right it was Daniel

BulldogBelle
08-01-2015, 08:26 AM
I understand why it happened, but I will always be sorry that Daniel Cross wasn't given the opportunity to retire as a one club player. If anybody ever earned that right it was Daniel

l disagree. Cross is a graeat player but sometimes hard decision's need to be made to build the team for the future. If you look at all the clubs that have reached the ultimate prize they will not hesitate to move on a fading star.

Bulldog4life
08-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Higgins will always look good in the drills they do in pre season. He is lost in the intensity of a game when required to 'crack in" and get his hands dirty. We won't miss Shaun.

Jeanette54
08-01-2015, 12:45 PM
l disagree. Cross is a graeat player but sometimes hard decision's need to be made to build the team for the future. If you look at all the clubs that have reached the ultimate prize they will not hesitate to move on a fading star.

I did say I understand why it happens, but I am old fashioned enough to think that AFL is a lesser game because of it

KT31
08-01-2015, 01:27 PM
Higgins will always look good in the drills they do in pre season. He is lost in the intensity of a game when required to 'crack in" and get his hands dirty. We won't miss Shaun.

I thought Woof was now a "Crack In " free zone.;)

bornadog
08-01-2015, 03:14 PM
I thought Woof was now a "Crack In " free zone.;)

hate that terminolgy

Maddog37
08-01-2015, 04:11 PM
I did say I understand why it happens, but I am old fashioned enough to think that AFL is a lesser game because of it

Not old fashioned at all. Slightly romantic perhaps......

Twodogs
08-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Wistful.

BulldogBelle
08-01-2015, 11:24 PM

Yes you did, me bad.

always right
13-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Apparently Swallow has been impressed with Higgins hardness around the ball.......at training:rolleyes:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/shaun-higgins-impressing-north-with-his-hardness-around-the-ball-in-pre-season-training/story-fni5f986-1227182989509

Greystache
13-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Apparently Swallow has been impressed with Higgins hardness around the ball.......at training:rolleyes:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/shaun-higgins-impressing-north-with-his-hardness-around-the-ball-in-pre-season-training/story-fni5f986-1227182989509

I eagerly await next month's story about his fanatical defensive pressure :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
13-01-2015, 12:40 PM
I eagerly await next month's story about his fanatical defensive pressure :rolleyes:

The only thing fanatic about Higgins is his finger pointing.

bulldogtragic
13-01-2015, 12:57 PM

Followed the next month by 'the entire club is just so impressed by his commitment to rehabilitating from an injury set back'...

The Underdog
13-01-2015, 02:00 PM
The only thing fanatic about Higgins is his finger pointing.

Truly elite

Twodogs
13-01-2015, 06:07 PM
He could point fingers for Australia.

Remi Moses
14-01-2015, 03:21 AM
Pre- season certainties
Higgins training the house down, and the second a teammate pumping up Shaun's tyres .

LostDoggy
14-01-2015, 09:48 AM
Must be part of his contracts over the years that his tyres need to be pumped during the off-season/pre-season.

BulldogBelle
14-01-2015, 12:23 PM
I don't get the Higgins hate. He did alright by us, he doesn't write the articles or post the pre-season forum topics.

bornadog
14-01-2015, 12:52 PM
I don't get the Higgins hate. He did alright by us, he doesn't write the articles or post the pre-season forum topics.

I am with you.

Greystache
14-01-2015, 01:17 PM

Played on his own terms, delivered very little, took big money, then pissed off for more money as soon as he became eligible for free agency. What's not to like?

Throw in the never ending press hype and it's all a bit comedic.

KT31
14-01-2015, 01:25 PM
Played on his own terms, delivered very little, took big money, then pissed off for more money as soon as he became eligible for free agency. What's not to like?

Throw in the never ending press hype and it's all a bit comedic.

Agree with you Greystache, for the dollars and time we put into this bloke and the faith we put in him when he was continuously injured he has shown us total disregard.
Mind you he was not the worst or on his Pat Malone at the end of last season.

Remi Moses
14-01-2015, 02:08 PM
Same here . For all the hype and promise Shaun was a disappointment .
The term " hate " is over the top.

LostDoggy
14-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Same here . For all the hype and promise Shaun was a disappointment .
The term " hate " is over the top.

The last time 'hate' was mentioned in this thread was Bornadog, and it's was in regards to another aspect, not Shaun. Who hates him?

Many of us are laughing at the continued tripe dished up by in the media. Shaun doesn't write the articles, but there's smoke every pre-season and unfulfilled promise every in-season.

GVGjr
14-01-2015, 07:01 PM

Me either although hate might not be the right word. We got a decent level of compensation and I hope he goes okay for North...except when they play us :)

bulldogtragic
14-01-2015, 07:14 PM
I was at a function late last year often quoted by me (sorry). But Doug Hawkins was asked about player movement, and specifically SH. As best I can recall it went 'We, the club, the Western Bulldogs have stood by Shaun for a long time. Despite repeated injuries we believed in Shaun and always showed loyalty. It's time for him to repay our faith .....(pause while he thought)... Let's just say it would be very, very disappointing if Shaun left. Very. But he's not gone yet.'

What Doug said I think encapsulates the banter around him and stupid press every year. The club along with the members stood by year in and year out while he kept breaking down. We gave him contract after contract and we all hoped that the wick of good faith burned at both ends. It turns out it didn't and we've been left with burned fingers. That's not to say it's hate, but if you take 7 years of nothing but support and run for more cash after not living up to talent, then you leave yourself open to have banter about you.

Moreover, it's the shit attempt for journalism that is the central theme. Frankly I think he's gotten off lightly because RG and Cooney abandoned the club.

Maddog37
14-01-2015, 09:03 PM
I'm glad he is gone as he is way too handsome and makes me feel inadequate as a man.

Seriously though, he was portrayed as a leader and he was just about the last guy I wanted our young kids to learn from on the footy field.

I don't know him as a person so cannot comment on his intentions or character but as a footballer he was limited.

Testekill
16-01-2015, 04:05 PM
Even when he's gone, he will still train the house down every preseason.

Remi Moses
16-01-2015, 05:22 PM
I've never gotten the " hope he goes well, but not against us " mantra.
Because if does go well, we'll be reminded by the masses constantly.
I hope he goes average to poor ( like his bulldog output)

SonofScray
20-01-2015, 11:44 PM
I've never gotten the " hope he goes well, but not against us " mantra.
Because if does go well, we'll be reminded by the masses constantly.
I hope he goes average to poor ( like his bulldog output)

Agree. I hope he has a shit time of it and his career fizzles out to nothing. A waste of time and space, glad he no longer has the privilege of donning the red, white & blue. Higgins certainly embarrassed it enough in his time with us.

ratsmac
21-01-2015, 12:04 AM
Agree. I hope he has a shit time of it and his career fizzles out to nothing. A waste of time and space, glad he no longer has the privilege of donning the red, white & blue. Higgins certainly embarrassed it enough in his time with us.

Tell me what you really think! Haha funny enough I agree