PDA

View Full Version : Jarrad Grant to be unleashed in the midfield

bornadog
17-02-2015, 03:11 PM
LINK (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-02-17/new-tricks-for-dog)

Western Bulldogs forward Jarrad Grant will welcome the challenge of being swung through midfield next season as coach Luke Beveridge implements a more unpredictable playing style.

Beveridge has encouraged more adventurous football since he took the reins last November and, in a nod to his tutelage under triple-premiership mentor Alastair Clarkson, the former Hawthorn assistant is also demanding greater flexibility from his players.

Veteran midfielder Matthew Boyd has been training across half-back, while boom recruit Tom Boyd has been earmarked for time in the ruck as well as in attack.

Grant, who has roamed on a wing during match simulation, said Bulldogs supporters would see players thrown into unfamiliar positions in 2015.

"I guess you could say that's something you could say he (Beveridge) has brought across as part of his philosophy," the 25-year-old told AFL.com.au.

"A lot of guys are learning different roles that they haven't (played) in previous years.

"It can confuse opposition teams with a lot of guys being able to roll through certain positions.

"Hopefully we can turn that into a little bit of a strength."

Hawthorn's forwards often speak about moving further up the ground to get into the action and Grant has had a chat to Beveridge about adding more strings to his bow.

Midfield will be a new frontier for the athletic 193cm big man, who is keen to test his improved fitness in matches after an uninterrupted pre-season.

"I ran some PBs in our time trials and our testing, so I can't complain in that regard," Grant said.

"It's not the same thing as playing an AFL game … but I've tested well and improved so hopefully that can show out on the field."

Next season shapes as a pivotal campaign for Grant, who was the fifth pick in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft.

He is coming off an injury-ravaged year, when he was out of the senior side until round 12 due to a fractured foot and then suffered a broken nose in his third game back.

Grant only managed four senior matches, halting the momentum built up from late in 2013 when he put together eight impressive performances to finish the season.

He is out of contract at the end of 2015 and will qualify as a free agent.

"Like everyone that's out of contract you want to have a big year. I definitely want to have a good year," Grant said.

"(But) at this time of year I 'm not too worried about contracts. I'm just worried about training every day and doing what I can to make sure I'm in the best 22 each week.

"I obviously missed a fair chunk of last season but I did get to play in the VFL premiership, which was very exciting for myself and the club in general.

"I'm looking forward to getting out there in the NAB Challenge and putting together a full season because it's something I haven't been able to do."

Grant, who has played 62 games and booted 72 goals in six seasons, is keen to play the entire pre-season series – starting with a bumper clash against Richmond at the Whitten Oval on February 28.

Leading into matches, the Bulldogs have launched their 'Bulldogs Blitz' campaign by visiting local shopping centres, meeting supporters, signing autographs and giving away tickets to their season-opener against West Coast at Etihad Stadium on April 4.

The Bulldogs will be at Point Cook Town Centre, Sunshine Marketplace and Watergardens Shopping Centre from 4-5pm this Thursday, and Highpoint Shopping Centre from 5-6pm.

Sedat
17-02-2015, 03:32 PM
http://youtu.be/LK8sxngSWaU

jeemak
17-02-2015, 03:46 PM
It's not lost on Grant that contract years are important for performance. I'm looking forward to a solid showing from him!

bulldogtragic
17-02-2015, 04:03 PM
I like the idea. I've often thought about why he wasn't trialled of half back. If we want to speed up ball movement he's a good guy, shimmies, side steps, quick handballs and look away handballs that are accurate. I don't mind his field kicking either. He's also a decent mark and a few 193cm targets through the middle would be an advantage (Grant, Bonts, Macrae, Stringer (?) ).

Greystache
17-02-2015, 04:35 PM
I like the idea. I've often thought about why he wasn't trialled of half back. If we want to speed up ball movement he's a good guy, shimmies, side steps, quick handballs and look away handballs that are accurate. I don't mind his field kicking either. He's also a decent mark and a few 193cm targets through the middle would be an advantage (Grant, Bonts, Macrae, Stringer (?) ).

He played for a period under McCartney on the wing at VFL level with pretty average results. He just couldn't keep up with the pace of the game. A mobile forward could expose him pretty badly IMO, plus he's consistently struggled against a quality opponent.

He may have run some PB's this preseason but he still finishes dead last in all the endurance running at the club. It's hard to see a place anywhere for a player with as many limitations as Grant.

bulldogtragic
17-02-2015, 04:49 PM
He played for a period under McCartney on the wing at VFL level with pretty average results. He just couldn't keep up with the pace of the game. A mobile forward could expose him pretty badly IMO, plus he's consistently struggled against a quality opponent.

He may have run some PB's this preseason but he still finishes dead last in all the endurance running at the club. It's hard to see a place anywhere for a player with as many limitations as Grant.

It's a contract year. Historically he plays a blinding season... :)

Greystache
17-02-2015, 05:11 PM
It's a contract year. Historically he plays a blinding season... :)

I wouldn't call his 2013 or 2011 seasons blinding. Maybe only in comparison to all the other years perhaps :D

Mofra
17-02-2015, 05:11 PM
I like the idea. I've often thought about why he wasn't trialled of half back.
He has been - his concentration isn't great so smart HFs smash him

He has to be played to his strengths - deep forward. He's competing with Dickson for a spot and potentially members of our mosquito fleet

Bulldog Revolution
17-02-2015, 05:51 PM
His year was cruelled by injury

Was very good in our win over collingwood, that was amonst our best performances of the year

We'd all like to see him consistently perform in 2015

LostDoggy
17-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Torn. Do I want him to have a stellar year, get a contract then suck for another two? Or have a poor year and free up the space? Oh, what to do!?!?

bornadog
17-02-2015, 06:42 PM
What happened to the theory that taller guys take longer to mature.

Grant is now 25 years old, he is 193cm and should be reaching his peak. We know he has the talent, anyone that can kick 5 plus goals in a game can play. He has also had bad luck with injuries in 2014. Maybe he hasn't been mentally tough enough in his early years, but I have really seen a difference in his attitude in the past couple of seasons as he gets older and matures in the head. He was one of the genuine stars in the VFL premiership win.

If Bevo feels he can play in the midfield sometimes then it will be up to Grant to take his chance. If he is not good enough, I am sure Bevo will find out soon enough.

The BS about a contract year well I am sick of reading crap like that. Let's get behind our players and support them and leave the hanging shit on them to the likes of Richmond and Carlton. Rant over.

jeemak
17-02-2015, 06:50 PM
Solid rant BAD.

I think it's a bit of a mix with Grant. I've defended his 2014 (and some of his other years) as he was clearly hampered by injury and this has played with his head when he's returned to the field.

Unfortunately though, he has continually let himself down from a work ethic and execution perspective. I hope he has matured into a person that understands he can't pick and choose when to apply himself.

As for the contract year banter, just treat it as that.

bulldogtragic
17-02-2015, 06:50 PM

Grant is now 25 years old, he is 193cm and should be reaching his peak. We know he has the talent, anyone that can kick 5 plus goals in a game can play. He has also had bad luck with injuries in 2014. Maybe he hasn't been mentally tough enough in his early years, but I have really seen a difference in his attitude in the past couple of seasons as he gets older and matures in the head. He was one of the genuine stars in the VFL premiership win.

If Bevo feels he can play in the midfield sometimes then it will be up to Grant to take his chance. If he is not good enough, I am sure Bevo will find out soon enough.

The BS about a contract year well I am sick of reading crap like that. Let's get behind our players and support them and leave the hanging shit on them to the likes of Richmond and Carlton. Rant over.

Fair enough. As his biggest cheer-leader I can say the contract year is a throwaway line, some attempt at humour of circumstance, forecasted irony perhaps, as he played well late 2013 at the last contract time. I don't think that's over the line or an insult at him all, in fact it suggests he will have a great year. I hope he rips it shreds, I hope he moves up the ground and does what he did in the VFL GF at AFL level. As you say LB will work out quickly if Grant is going to be in his long term plans or not.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-02-2015, 07:54 PM
Grant to me is like a former lover. I've let go, but I'll always have feelings.

I'd love nothing more than for him to become a consistent performer who can play forward and push into the midfield, but it's safe to say he is up against it. He's a smart, quick, agile and talented footballer but he's ran out of excuses. Time to deliver or move on - he's not alone there either.

chef
17-02-2015, 08:31 PM
I really don't have any faith in Grant pulling his finger out and making it. To bad we didn't flog him off to Brisbane when we had the chance.

F'scary
17-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Grant's great finish to the 2013 season not only included noteworthy action inside the forward 50m arc, but also some good possessions closer to the middle of the ground. My impression is that he will take risks running with or holding onto the ball while looking for a decisive outlet.

It's food for thought. Let's see how he goes in the NAB Cup.

hujsh
17-02-2015, 10:21 PM

Grant is now 25 years old,

Stopped reading there. At 25 unless he's a ruckman he's had more than enough time to cement a spot in this team. Big blokes in key positions might often take longer but usually not this long.

That said I'd love to be proven wrong, I just don't think the 'big bloke' defense really stands up here especially given his size and the way he plays the game

GVGjr
17-02-2015, 10:38 PM

Does that comment really stand up when so many people for a long while keep saying that we should look past the fact that he is 193cm tall and ignore his height and that we should really regard him as a small crumbing forward?
Now we are being asked to be more patient with the same player because of the old notion that talls take time to mature.

I'll watch him with interest in NAB cup and see what value he can add as part of a midfield rotation. Personally I think he has to make it as a productive forward rather than a tricky midfielder to match-up on.

Smads57
17-02-2015, 10:41 PM
How many more players can we fit in the midfield?? Equally concerned about Grant's tank. Really enjoyed his games at the end of 2013 - every time he went near the ball, there was a sense of excitement.

LostDoggy
18-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Would love to see Grant have a good year, he definitely adds something extra.

Cyberdoggie
18-02-2015, 01:00 PM
He has been - his concentration isn't great so smart HFs smash him

He has to be played to his strengths - deep forward. He's competing with Dickson for a spot and potentially members of our mosquito fleet

That is really his problem though I guess.

He's a tall competing with the 2-3 small forwards for a spot because he's not good enough to be a tall.
There is no way he would win a spot over crameri, stringer, Bonts for half forward or Boyd/Redpath/Campbell as the uber tall, and we need Dahlhaus, Hunter, Hrovat, Stevens and forwards/ midfield rotation options.

I just don't know where Grant fits in to that unless there are injuries.

Mofra
18-02-2015, 01:21 PM
I just don't know where Grant fits in to that unless there are injuries.
With Bevo publically stating he wants flexible players, Grant & Dickson are the two most in trouble - yet they are senior players compared tot he bulk of our list so we need them in terms of age profile.

It's a tough position to be in. I certainly wouldn't be upset if we target a mature player at the end of the year.

ratsmac
18-02-2015, 10:18 PM
I really like Grant and I hope he can bring some consistency this up and coming season. Well he has been consistently inconsistent but you know what I mean. I feel for him a bit because I think Macca didn't like his body shape and never really gave him a decent run at it until the second half of 2013, and we saw what happened when he got some confidence up. Macca locked him in the gym at one point. The thing with Grant is what's going on between the ears. When he wasn't given games in the seniors he seemed to lose all confidence (or get the shits up) and put out very ordinary performances in the twos. This didn't warrant him getting a game in the ones. When he did get a go he took his chance late 2013. Come 2014, a foot injury and a broken nose and all of a sudden no confidence, and Grant is playing average football again. If Bevo can build him up with confidence and he stays injury free, well he might have a good season. He's a 50/50 prospect for mine. As for the midfield, I think he doesn't have the tank to be very effective, but if used wisely, you never know.

BornInDroopSt'54
19-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Jarrad Grant, you drive me crazy with your potential. If you could hold a spot down and regularly contribute what you've got, you could elevate this team to new heights. Football god I pray to you, I honour you, release this man's talent to the Bulldogs.

LostDoggy
19-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Jarrad Grant, you drive me crazy with your potential. If you could hold a spot down and regularly contribute what you've got, you could elevate this team to new heights. Football god I pray to you, I honour you, release this man's talent to the Bulldogs.

AMEN TO THAT BROTHER! :cool:

bornadog
03-03-2015, 06:09 PM
Good Interview here:

https://audioboom.com/boos/2947704-jarrad-grant-on-rsn-radio-tuesday-3-march-2014

azabob
03-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Good Interview here:

https://audioboom.com/boos/2947704-jarrad-grant-on-rsn-radio-tuesday-3-march-2014

Mick Mcguane is a very good interviewer.
The above interview and the one with lachie hunter last week was really good and interesting. Not your typical questions

bornadog
04-03-2015, 12:25 AM
Mick Mcguane is a very good interviewer.
The above interview and the one with lachie hunter last week was really good and interesting. Not your typical questions

Interesting how Grant says he is not best 22 and needs to be more consistent. I like the way he recognizes that and will work on it to improve.

azabob
04-03-2015, 07:46 AM
Interesting how Grant says he is not best 22 and needs to be more consistent. I like the way he recognizes that and will work on it to improve.

I actually was impressed with how Grant handled the questions. Time will tell if Gia will be able to get him more consistent. They appeared to have a good relationship when they were both players.

mjp
04-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Is it wrong that every time I see the 'Grant to be UNLEASHED' title in the "new posts" section of my feed lately I start giggling?

whythelongface
04-03-2015, 03:23 PM

It also strikes me that he actually lacks a bit of self belief in his own ability. He needs to really start believing in himself that he can make a whole lot of difference to the fortunes of this team.

LostDoggy
04-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Is it wrong that every time I see the 'Grant to be UNLEASHED' title in the "new posts" section of my feed lately I start giggling?

Yeah, I didn't realise we had the leash on him.

BulldogBelle
04-03-2015, 10:23 PM
l think l choked on my weeties!