PDA

View Full Version : Karmichael Hunt charged with supplying cocaine

bornadog
20-02-2015, 10:33 AM
story here (http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/feb/20/karmichael-hunt-charged-with-supplying-cocaine)

Bet the AFL are happy he is not with GC anymore.

whythelongface
20-02-2015, 10:41 AM
It will be interesting to see what stance both the QRU and ARU take in response to this. Do they terminate his contract? As he was an AFL player at the time can he be charged with bringing the game (rugby) into disrepute?

Twodogs
20-02-2015, 11:08 AM
There are a few big names in that article.

LostDoggy
20-02-2015, 01:45 PM
It will be interesting to see what stance both the QRU and ARU take in response to this. Do they terminate his contract? As he was an AFL player at the time can he be charged with bringing the game (rugby) into disrepute?

Wouldnt be surprised if they blame the AFL system and claim that since coming to union he's stopped all that, cleaner sport and all. :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
20-02-2015, 06:56 PM
Greedy SOB, $1 million a year was not enough.

Was a fan of his and thought he did remarkably well in the AFL system considering, but if found guilty I hope he cps the full force of the law.

Sedat
20-02-2015, 11:10 PM
There is up to 100 current and former players involved from League, Rugby and AFL. The police have supposedly been working on this for months and this is just the tip of the iceberg. Interesting and very nervous times ahead for the footy codes in this country.

Twodogs
21-02-2015, 12:21 AM
There is up to 100 current and former players involved from League, Rugby and AFL. The police have supposedly been working on this for months and this is just the tip of the iceberg. Interesting and very nervous times ahead for the footy codes in this country.

So you're saying this investigation will grow and spread into other codes?

What is the timeline on this? Are the allegations recent or do they go back a couple of years ago?

The Underdog
21-02-2015, 12:43 AM
Holy crap I hope they don't investigate rock n roll. The whole industry will be suspended

LostDoggy
21-02-2015, 01:00 AM
Holy crap I hope they don't investigate rock n roll. The whole industry will be suspended

Meh. Show me a hard-core rock veteran and I'll show you the sales exec.

The Underdog
21-02-2015, 08:16 AM
Meh. Show me a hard-core rock veteran and I'll show you the sales exec.

Well we all know the biggest market for cocaine is lawyers and stockbrokers anyway.

F'scary
21-02-2015, 09:05 AM
This is bad news for Harmichael.

bulldogtragic
22-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Greg Bird & Dave Taylor named today.

Fame, worship, money, popularity and life on a platter obviously not enough for some...

Twodogs
22-02-2015, 09:57 PM
Greg Bird & Dave Taylor named today.

Fame, worship, money, popularity and life on a platter obviously not enough for some...

Or maybe too much? idle hands make the Devils work, and access to all that money can't help.

bulldogtragic
22-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Or maybe too much? idle hands make the Devils work, and access to all that money can't help.

Perhaps in some cases for sure. But this appears to be a syndicate operation and systematic trafficking. Can't wait to see who else they will name, they've got more names apparently and they're getting bigger names by the day.

bornadog
05-03-2015, 03:46 PM
Cross-code football star Karmichael Hunt has been fined $2,500 but had no conviction recorded after pleading guilty to possessing cocaine.The magistrate, Catherine Pirie, said she had taken into account Hunt’s remorse, his early plea and character references, including one from his former coach Wayne Bennett.

Hunt’s lawyer said he had suffered “enormous economic loss” in the wake of his arrest on drug charges after being caught in phone taps as part of a Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC) investigation.

story continues here (http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/05/karmichael-hunt-pleads-guilty-to-cocaine-possession)

Ghost Dog
09-03-2015, 11:41 AM
How is that possible? To have cocaine and no conviction recorded?

bulldogtragic
09-03-2015, 12:11 PM

The vast, vast number of cases at court don't recieve a conviction. More so if you have access to good lawyers.

Twodogs
09-03-2015, 01:16 PM

Good legal representation.

And he probably cooperated fully with the police.

jeemak
09-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Dishing out criminal records to people for first offences in drug possession wouldn't achieve anything.

F'scary
09-03-2015, 08:03 PM
story continues here (http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/05/karmichael-hunt-pleads-guilty-to-cocaine-possession)

Well, let's hope he has learnt his lesson...and I don't mean that he changes his modus operandi and employs a flunkie to carry for him.

LostDoggy
10-03-2015, 12:07 AM
Dishing out criminal records to people for first offences in drug possession wouldn't achieve anything.

Disagree, the knowledge that no conviction will be recorded for a first possession offence is a massive green light! Might not help him but certainly could help deter from risking their future getting involved in illicit substances.

The rationale of, "oh well I can get caught once, nothing will happen, then I'll stop" would not be uncommon, but as we all know by that stage it is all too late!

chef
10-03-2015, 07:09 AM
Think it's crazy myself to get a conviction for a first offence.

hujsh
10-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Disagree, the knowledge that no conviction will be recorded for a first possession offence is a massive green light! Might not help him but certainly could help deter from risking their future getting involved in illicit substances.

The rationale of, "oh well I can get caught once, nothing will happen, then I'll stop" would not be uncommon, but as we all know by that stage it is all too late!

Giving anyone unlucky enough to get caught with drugs a criminal record (and lets face it, enough people have used drugs that it would be a case of bad luck rather than an issue of moral character) will not help them. The impact it would have on the prospects of a young person could be devastating

bulldogtragic
10-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Just thought I'd say being found guilty gives you a criminal record. A conviction is a kin to having the guilt stamped on one's forehead.

The aspect of 'conviction' forces the person to declare the offence the authorities or organisations, such as applying for certain jobs or trying to get passports or entry into foreign countries. So a 'conviction' on top of a finding of guilt in Hunts case may have prohibited him from travelling to many countries in his work. But if say an insurance company asks him as he been found guilty of a criminal offence in the last 5 years, he would need to answer yes.

Whether you agree or disagree, I just thought Id try to explain the difference.

Greystache
10-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Just thought I'd say being found guilty gives you a criminal record. A conviction is a kin to having the guilt stamped on one's forehead.

The aspect of 'conviction' forces the person to declare the offence the authorities or organisations, such as applying for certain jobs or trying to get passports or entry into foreign countries. So a 'conviction' on top of a finding of guilt in Hunts case may have prohibited him from travelling to many countries in his work. But if say an insurance company asks him as he been found guilty of a criminal offence in the last 5 years, he would need to answer yes.

Whether you agree or disagree, I just thought Id try to explain the difference.

As the great philosopher Rocky Balboa once said when asked in a job interview if he had a criminal record- "nothing worth bragging about". :)

LostDoggy
10-03-2015, 05:58 PM
Giving anyone unlucky enough to get caught with drugs a criminal record (and lets face it, enough people have used drugs that it would be a case of bad luck rather than an issue of moral character) will not help them. The impact it would have on the prospects of a young person could be devastating

I understand your point but it is this thought process that green lights people into trying out these things (I am no prude and have used the discussed substance myself in the past, not proud of it). And you know why, because I knew there were no real repercussions.

You say it is unlucky to get caught with drugs, I feel you are missing the point, I think looking back many addicts would say the were unlucky not to get caught as it may have saved them before they got in too deep. If the impacts of a conviction could be devastating isn't that deterrent right there?

As we have all heard with the ice epidemic, people can become addicted in 2 to 3 tries of the stuff, do we really want people to have the ability to try this stuff without any fear of conviction?

Maddog37
10-03-2015, 06:23 PM
Legal or not, people will try it.

This topic to me is not suitable for this forum.

F'scary
10-03-2015, 08:45 PM
I'm really worried that with all the financial hardship that has been dealt out to Harmichael over this incident, if he has any debts and he has trouble paying them off, it could get really ugly for him.

F'scary
10-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Also, if some of the people that he has been associating with happen to have some trouble with the law, they might infer that he did some sort of deal and it could get pretty serious for him again.

LostDoggy
10-03-2015, 10:54 PM
I'm really worried that with all the financial hardship that has been dealt out to Harmichael over this incident, if he has any debts and he has trouble paying them off, it could get really ugly for him.

He could always sell some cocaine to make ends meet.

GVGjr
10-03-2015, 10:59 PM
Time to be closed.