PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs start work on possibility of bringing AFL games back to the Whitten Oval

bornadog
03-03-2015, 08:51 AM
Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-start-work-on-possibility-of-bringing-afl-games-back-to-the-whitten-oval/story-fni5fazt-1227245311750)

THE Western Bulldogs will start work on the possibility of bringing AFL football back to the Whitten Oval in the wake of Saturday’s successful NAB Challenge match.

The Dogs accommodated a crowd of 9500 when they hosted Richmond in the pre-season clash.
Bulldogs president Peter Gordon told the Herald Sun much development would be needed to get the ground up to scratch for a premiership match, but it was something he would love to see happen.

“I was thrilled with how the venue came up on the weekend and since the Smith Stand on the eastern side of the ground came down 10 years ago the TV now has a beautiful view of the city skyline and of Footscray,” Gordon said.
“It showed off the city of Maribyrnong to tremendous effect.
“I would love to consider the prospect of being able to fixture some home games for the future for the Bulldogs at the Victoria University Whitten Oval.
“I have to say for emotional reasons, but also business growth reasons, I do think it is something we ought to be considering and it is something that our board will begin to consider in 2015.”

The Dogs have not played an AFL match at Whitten Oval since 1997, when almost 27,000 fans watched them beat the West Coast Eagles.
http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2015/03/02/1227245/311724-a9f8bd5a-c0b7-11e4-a0d8-62fd782d4449.jpg
Former skipper Scott Wynd leads the Bulldogs out on Whitten Oval for the last time in 1997. Picture: Darren Tindale

Gordon said he had not had any serious talks with the AFL about the prospect of a return of home-and-away games.
He said there had been big infrastructure improvements to enable the Footscray VFL side to use the venue and for it became a base for women’s and junior football.
“We have got a couple of million dollars of funding that we got from the state government and Maribyrnong council and from the AFL and indeed a significant amount of money that we raised from our own members last year, which enabled us to build new change rooms for the opposition, new coaches’ boxes, and umpires’ boxes and timekeepers’ boxes which are state of the art (and) built in compliance with AFL standards.

“We are slated to get new lights later this year and a new electronic scoreboard which will have a live action facility to it.”
The new West Footscray station would also be an asset, Gordon said.
But he acknowledged the ground would have to be developed to accommodate enough seating for at least 6000 reserved ticket holders and more amenities — such as public toilets would have to be built.

“These thing take time, with tenders and raising the money and all of those sort of things — as well as convincing the AFL.
“Not only do we not have enough seats, we really struggled to cope with demands of public facilities like toilets.
“But speaking personally I do think something was lost in the loss of the suburban ground and it doesn’t mean every suburban ground needs to get resurrected (but) with the unique history of the Bulldogs and the fact that we have been playing there since the mid-1870s, and how well the oval looked at the weekend and how well it was received by both clubs — then I think it is something that ought to be put on the drawing board for future discussions.”

Mantis
03-03-2015, 09:43 AM
The ground is miles off from being a viable AFL venue.. If the AFL, government or private sector want to pay for it then fine, but I wouldn't be spending our money on it.

bulldogtragic
03-03-2015, 09:51 AM
The ground is miles off from being a viable AFL venue.. If the AFL, government or private sector want to pay for it then fine, but I wouldn't be spending our money on it.

I have to agree. There's no way we'd be allowed more than 2 games there a year and keeping our Ballarat pledge. Far too a high an investment for 2 games unless it's not our money.

The Doctor
03-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Bring footy back to the people. The way it should be. I like the idea very much.

chef
03-03-2015, 10:02 AM
Never going to happen.

But its perfect for VFL and that's enough for me.

Greystache
03-03-2015, 10:14 AM
This just makes me cringe. So are we trying to play games in Ballarat, Whitten Oval, or build our supporter base to the point we're selling out Etihad? Or is it all 3?

We're starting to sound like the AFL's other perennial nomads Norf.

Twodogs
03-03-2015, 10:51 AM
Never going to happen.

But its perfect for VFL and that's enough for me.

They said that about NAB cup games. But you're right it's just right for VFL purposes. Besides we already have an AFL stadium that we can't seem to pay for.

LostDoggy
03-03-2015, 11:05 AM
I'd prefer to take a more optimistic view on this. My ideal concept wouldn't see the club having to try and fund a major upgrade but more a pool of money being gathered from various sources including grants. The venue might only be used by us for maybe two H&A games per year but I think you could also make the case for it to be used by other Melbourne clubs for perhaps one or two games each per season against low drawing interstate teams. Almost like a boutique stadium scenario. Combine this with the ground being a VFL hub and also used for Women's football and I think it has the potential to be a revenue creating stadium. If anything, I applaud the club for continuing to look for ways to create alternative revenue and growth streams. I might be speaking with a small sense of bias but when I look at our business model and opportunities in comparison to Melb, North and St Kilda, I know who I'd rather be on. Make no mistake, North Melbourne's plight is very much disguised by it's current period of relative success on the field. Melbourne don't have the luxury of the existing infrastructure that we have and I'm not certain about St Kilda but they seem to be too busy trying to work out where they want to train etc.

We are doing remarkably well as a club despite the fact that we have dropped down the ladder at the worst possible time. This gives me great optimism that once we are successful on-field, our plans will gather some momentum.

ratsmac
03-03-2015, 11:28 AM
The idea really pulls on the heart strings doesn't it. Yeah 2 games a year sounds like it's not enough to spend millions of $$$. It's the age old debate but it doesn't make sense spending that sort of coin when the afl will buy Etihad stadium in the coming years.
Still I would love this to happen!

bornadog
03-03-2015, 11:32 AM
I'd prefer to take a more optimistic view on this. My ideal concept wouldn't see the club having to try and fund a major upgrade but more a pool of money being gathered from various sources including grants. The venue might only be used by us for maybe two H&A games per year but I think you could also make the case for it to be used by other Melbourne clubs for perhaps one or two games each per season against low drawing interstate teams. Almost like a boutique stadium scenario. Combine this with the ground being a VFL hub and also used for Women's football and I think it has the potential to be a revenue creating stadium. If anything, I applaud the club for continuing to look for ways to create alternative revenue and growth streams. I might be speaking with a small sense of bias but when I look at our business model and opportunities in comparison to Melb, North and St Kilda, I know who I'd rather be on. Make no mistake, North Melbourne's plight is very much disguised by it's current period of relative success on the field. Melbourne don't have the luxury of the existing infrastructure that we have and I'm not certain about St Kilda but they seem to be too busy trying to work out where they want to train etc.

We are doing remarkably well as a club despite the fact that we have dropped down the ladder at the worst possible time. This gives me great optimism that once we are successful on-field, our plans will gather some momentum.

The trouble is the amount of money required to bring this stadium up to AFL standard probably runs into the $30 to $50 million dollars. In the end is it really worth it when Eithad is sitting there.

What we need to do is make Eithad work, financially. We need a proper stadium deal, we need to get people to the game.

Have a look at these attendance figures for games over 35k. Amazing what on field success can do.

Season 2006

Desc
Opponent
Venue
Attendance

Round 21
St Kilda
Etihad Stadium

Round 4
Geelong
Etihad Stadium

Round 3
Essendon
Etihad Stadium

Round 1
Richmond
Etihad Stadium

Round 22
Essendon
Etihad Stadium

Round 6
St Kilda
Etihad Stadium

Round 16
Geelong
Etihad Stadium

Season 2007

Round 8
Collingwood
Etihad Stadium

Round 15
Essendon
Etihad Stadium

Round 16
Geelong
Etihad Stadium

Round 1
Geelong
Etihad Stadium

Round 3
St Kilda
Etihad Stadium

Season 2008

Round 4
Essendon
Etihad Stadium

Round 13
Collingwood
Etihad Stadium

Round 11
St Kilda
Etihad Stadium

Round 3
St Kilda
Etihad Stadium

Round 17
Carlton
Etihad Stadium

Round 5
Richmond
Etihad Stadium

Round 21
Essendon
Etihad Stadium

Season 2009

Round 15
Collingwood
Etihad Stadium

Round 22
Collingwood
Etihad Stadium

Round 16
Essendon
Etihad Stadium

Round 21
Geelong
Etihad Stadium

Round 3
Richmond
Etihad Stadium

Round 17
St Kilda
Etihad Stadium

Round 9
Geelong
Etihad Stadium

Round 5
Carlton
Etihad Stadium

Round 14
Hawthorn
Etihad Stadium

Round 11
Richmond
Etihad Stadium

Round 6
St Kilda
Etihad Stadium

Season 2010

Round 1
Collingwood
Etihad Stadium

Round 10
Essendon
Etihad Stadium

Round 6
St Kilda
Etihad Stadium

Round 20
Geelong
Etihad Stadium

Round 11
Collingwood
Etihad Stadium

Round 15
Carlton
Etihad Stadium

Round 3
Hawthorn
Etihad Stadium

LostDoggy
03-03-2015, 11:51 AM
The trouble is the amount of money required to bring this stadium up to AFL standard probably runs into the $30 to $50 million dollars. In the end is it really worth it when Eithad is sitting there.

What we need to do is make Eithad work, financially. We need a proper stadium deal, we need to get people to the game.

Have a look at these attendance figures for games over 35k. Amazing what on field success can do.

Season 2006

Desc
Opponent
Venue
Attendance

Round 21
St Kilda
Etihad Stadium

Round 4
Geelong
Etihad Stadium

Round 3
Essendon
Etihad Stadium

Round 1
Richmond
Etihad Stadium

Round 22
Essendon
Etihad Stadium

Round 6
St Kilda
Etihad Stadium

Round 16
Geelong
Etihad Stadium

Season 2007

Round 8
Collingwood
Etihad Stadium

Round 15
Essendon
Etihad Stadium

Round 16
Geelong
Etihad Stadium

Round 1
Geelong
Etihad Stadium

Round 3
St Kilda
Etihad Stadium

Season 2008

Round 4
Essendon
Etihad Stadium

Round 13
Collingwood
Etihad Stadium

Round 11
St Kilda
Etihad Stadium

Round 3
St Kilda
Etihad Stadium

Round 17
Carlton
Etihad Stadium

Round 5
Richmond
Etihad Stadium

Round 21
Essendon
Etihad Stadium

Season 2009

Round 15
Collingwood
Etihad Stadium

Round 22
Collingwood
Etihad Stadium

Round 16
Essendon
Etihad Stadium

Round 21
Geelong
Etihad Stadium

Round 3
Richmond
Etihad Stadium

Round 17
St Kilda
Etihad Stadium

Round 9
Geelong
Etihad Stadium

Round 5
Carlton
Etihad Stadium

Round 14
Hawthorn
Etihad Stadium

Round 11
Richmond
Etihad Stadium

Round 6
St Kilda
Etihad Stadium

Season 2010

Round 1
Collingwood
Etihad Stadium

Round 10
Essendon
Etihad Stadium

Round 6
St Kilda
Etihad Stadium

Round 20
Geelong
Etihad Stadium

Round 11
Collingwood
Etihad Stadium

Round 15
Carlton
Etihad Stadium

Round 3
Hawthorn
Etihad Stadium

Great post mate,

It's funny how the answer to most club related financial issues always comes back to the simple fact that when the team is winning games, the people will come! You're right about the amount of money needed to bring the stadium up to scratch and I guess that's why my vision would need to see it become a multi-use boutique stadium to firstly attract the right amount of capital to develop and secondly to make it sustainable to justify the investment.

Twodogs
03-03-2015, 12:18 PM
The idea really pulls on the heart strings doesn't it. Yeah 2 games a year sounds like it's not enough to spend millions of $$$. It's the age old debate but it doesn't make sense spending that sort of coin when the afl will buy Etihad stadium in the coming years.
Still I would love this to happen!

It's a conundrum for sure.

It's not helped by the fact the ground is kind of half and half at the moment. It's half a stadium on one side and nothing really on the other.

bornadog
03-03-2015, 12:21 PM
It's a conundrum for sure.

It's not helped by the fact the ground is kind of half and half at the moment. It's half a stadium on one side and nothing really on the other.

Also the Training Centre is not exactly in a good spot for a stadium

jazzadogs
03-03-2015, 12:42 PM
**WARNING: Simplistic view ahead**

Having been to Manuka, but not Darwin or Cairns, how different are they?
If the AFL deems those grounds suitable, surely there's not that much work to do? Chuck some seating above the ELC and Geelong Rd end, keep the Hawkins Wing as standing only.

LostDoggy
03-03-2015, 12:55 PM
I live in Darwin and the only thing it has over the WO is a larger stand. The other facilities are piss poor in all honesty.

Mofra
03-03-2015, 01:56 PM
It would take 1 or 2 games at Skilled Stadium to make more $$$ than we do in a year at Etihad.

My issue is the ROI would not be worth it post-2025 when Etihad Stadium becomes the property of all clubs. If we can crunch the numbers and make it work, great (I remain unconvinced).

Mofra
03-03-2015, 01:57 PM

All against larger drawing Victorian clubs. Any WO games would be played against lower-drawing interstate clubs.

jeemak
03-03-2015, 02:48 PM
It would take 1 or 2 games at Skilled Stadium to make more $$$ than we do in a year at Etihad.

My issue is the ROI would not be worth it post-2025 when Etihad Stadium becomes the property of all clubs. If we can crunch the numbers and make it work, great (I remain unconvinced).

My concern is once the stadium is paid off, in 2025 or beforehand, the AFL will see little use in us and make moves to relocate or wind up the club. We're useful to the AFL as it stands because the current broadcast rights require 18 teams to be running around, and somebody needs to take the bullet that is the poorly negotiated commercial terms at Docklands.

hujsh
03-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Great post mate,

It's funny how the answer to most club related financial issues always comes back to the simple fact that when the team is winning games, the people will come! You're right about the amount of money needed to bring the stadium up to scratch and I guess that's why my vision would need to see it become a multi-use boutique stadium to firstly attract the right amount of capital to develop and secondly to make it sustainable to justify the investment.

I suppose we need to sure-up our finances so we do still have reliable revenue even if we aren't successful. After all we can't expect to always be at the top of the ladder (and if we are then that's quite the bonus)

Ozza
03-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Having the VFL team play there is great. Great for those of us that remember playing there, and those in the inner west.
But I don't see it as feasible as an AFL ground.
We've laid the ground work for Ballarat - I'd prefer to see that through and look to capture that market.

bornadog
03-03-2015, 06:12 PM
Maybe we will play Freo there if Victory end up in Finals.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/battle-ground-ffa-enlists-labor-in-fight-with-afl-over-etihad-fixture/story-e6frf4gl-1227245268454

Eastdog
03-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Would love it to happen but certainly would cost.

Go_Dogs
03-03-2015, 07:00 PM
This just makes me cringe. So are we trying to play games in Ballarat, Whitten Oval, or build our supporter base to the point we're selling out Etihad? Or is it all 3?

We're starting to sound like the AFL's other perennial nomads Norf.

I tend to agree - too many balls in the air. We should focus on getting the basics right, including building our membership base, our Etihad attendances and developing our supporter base in Ballarat, which is already a significant set of objectives.

Webby
03-03-2015, 09:04 PM
I'll be getting my fix of WO from 9 or so VFL games this year. I honestly think that we can build a fantastic VFL venue. The perfect VFL venue with great change rooms, appropriate toilets, can bars (!!!!), electronic scoreboard etc. compliment it with a few trees, hedges and shrubbery and really make it a picturesque venue. We can also play nab Cup games and intraclubs etc.

Then we can paint Ballarat R,W&B by playing our two games a season there. That pretty much stamps our territory from Williamstown to Werribeeto Ballarat, back to Maribyrnong. The "Western" region.

Finally, the AFL takes ownership of Etihad Stadium
In 2025. They've been trying to rattle the cage for a couple of years now re purchasing it early. As we get closer to 2025, that scenario becomes more and more likely. I'd be really surprised if the AFL doesn't own Etihad Stadium by 2020. That will also put us in a good position.

We essentially have a club based in Footscray who plays some nab Cup games in Footscray, most of its footy at the end of Footscray Road, two games up the Western Highway in Ballarat and a VFL side playing 9 regular season games in Footscray...

Compare that to, say, Sht Kilda. They train in Seaford (40km from St Kilda), play at Etihad (other side of town from St Kilda, Moorabbin and Seaford) and their reserves are blended into an old VFA club's..!

We should stop and smell the roses for a moment! We've got it pretty damn good as things stand!

I am looking forward to taking my tin lids to the family day on Saturday and I am champing at the bit to get up to Ballarat with a couple of mates for the game against Melbourne the following Saturday. I think we've got it as good as we've ever had it, really!

Eastdog
03-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Yeah it's great playing the VFL there. I said in another thread will try to get to some Footscray VFL matches there if the times are good.

boydogs
04-03-2015, 12:54 AM
**WARNING: Simplistic view ahead**

Having been to Manuka, but not Darwin or Cairns, how different are they?
If the AFL deems those grounds suitable, surely there's not that much work to do? Chuck some seating above the ELC and Geelong Rd end, keep the Hawkins Wing as standing only.

Some info here

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?13859-2015-Fixture-What-do-we-want-for-the-Bulldogs&p=410573#post410573

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?13859-2015-Fixture-What-do-we-want-for-the-Bulldogs&p=410610#post410610

jazzadogs
04-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Some info here

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?13859-2015-Fixture-What-do-we-want-for-the-Bulldogs&p=410573#post410573

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?13859-2015-Fixture-What-do-we-want-for-the-Bulldogs&p=410610#post410610

So from that we now have fencing, coaches boxes, changerooms, a high quality surface and have plans to get a scoreboard.

We still need ?permanent vs larger quantity of temporary toilets, better food facilities, and potentially changes to the timekeeper/siten/video review systems.

A lot of the roadblocks have already been cleared IMO. The issue is what sort of crowd they expect, and whether they need more seating to accommodate those numbers.