PDA

View Full Version : Dickson vs Grant

GVGjr
08-03-2015, 08:16 AM
It's hard for me to see both Tory Dickson and Jarrad Grant being played in the same forward line in the senior side unless there are a couple of injuries or Crameri is out for a while.

To be honest, I find it hard to squeeze both of them into our best forward set-up at the moment but I'd go with Dickson. Both of them are good players though but in the new requirement world of having versatile players under the Beveridge mantra neither strike as genuine versatile options despite what we might read.

Grant has more upside to his game but is far from a consistent performer. He is also a player that is hard to define the role he could play in the forward line because at 192cm he still isn't regarded as a tall and is seen more as a mid sized or even small forward option by many.

Dickson is more consistent and is certainly regarded as a mid sized forward and there are no Grant like discussions of what type of forward he is.

So I have a few questions for the WOOF community:

1) Which player out of Grant or Dickson is more likely to command a spot in our round one team?

2) Can we play both of them in our forward line for much of the season?

3) Can either player offer much more versatility to the side than primarily being a forward?

4) Come the end of the season which of them has the better season?

To help the discussion it would be good to get responses with some reasons behind your answers.

Maddog37
08-03-2015, 11:42 AM
On yesterday's performances I would have Dickson in front of Grant.

kruder
08-03-2015, 11:47 AM
I think Dickson will play every week for mine particularly with a full preseason and good form on the board already. With the demographic of our list heavily skewed towards youth he becomes a really important player and hopefully his body is finally ready to handle a full AFL season. With Dahl set for some serious midfield minutes, Hunter and Stinger also, I think there is room for a permanant small/med forward spot along side Boyd,Crameri and Redpath. He is just a natural forward and for mine can kick 30 goals this year.

Grant is such a confidence player if we want to see him improve he needs to start round 1. He is a player that just does not benefit from time in the VFL and I would like to see him given 6 weeks to start the season to see what he can do. It was really disappointing to see him hurt his ankle early last year as it just set him back again. I actually think Crameri will be suspended in the early rounds hence it opens a spot up for Grant and the rest is up to him.

Rocco Jones
08-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Dickson vs Grant is an interesting one. We have a pack of young small forward nipping at their heels however the duo. The chasing pack are the modern forward flank/wing types whereas Dickson and Grant really are throwbacks to me. Come Round 1 I think we will need to play at least one of the pair as they offer us maturity (for lack of a better word).

Reasons I like Grant over Dickson
- Grant's explosive speed means he can offer defensive pressure. When he is up, I see his as very dangerous in this area.
- I think he is a better option in terms of goal chains/bringing in his team mates with quick hands.
- When he is going, a much more all round forward than Dickson (anyone on our list I guess). Offers us a quality small and medium-tallish forward in one.
- Both players won't get the ball much anyway, might as well gamble on the guy who can be very good at AFL at his best.

Reasons I like Dickson over Grant
- Because I have to say 'when he is up/at his best' etc so often for Grant.
- Both players won't get the ball much anyway, might as well go for the guy who will be clever enough to kick a couple of goals.

Rocco Jones
08-03-2015, 11:52 AM
I know I went 4 reasons vs 2 but reason 1 for Dickson carries most points! I rate Grant more than Dickson due to upside but I think Dickson is more Round 1 ready.

Maddog37
08-03-2015, 11:59 AM
Until Grant starts taking marks he will not be of value.

Greystache
08-03-2015, 12:06 PM
When Dickson plays he kicks goals, doesn't matter who we're playing or who his opponent is. He's had limited opportunities due to injury, but if he can stay fit he'll be up there in the goal kicking. This is his 4th season and we know what he offers.

Grant is in his 8th season and we're still getting excited over the occasion quick handball as a sign of the potential he may have. He hasn't improved in 5 years, and has always struggled against a quality opponent. He just isn't good enough to be an AFL player.

Dickson is a better mark, better kick, fitter, and more consistent. Grant does something flashy once a month. Dickson every day of the week for me.

jeemak
08-03-2015, 12:16 PM
When fit I think Dickson has consistently influenced games on the scoreboard more than most players on our list. His big issue is work rate and making sure he works defensively once the other team has it. I understand that he's not as versatile as other players on our list however, I think goal scoring ability is going to be an extremely valuable commodity this year and next at least, considering Gia's retirement and the likelihood our midfield might struggle to get the upper hand since Libba's injury, alongside the loss of Gryfin et al.

I really struggle to see a future with us for Grant. In his eighth year on our list he's found himself battling for a spot among mid and small sized forwards, all of whom seem to have attributes he doesn't (work rate, ability to run continuously). There's no question talent wise, I just don't think he has the body and head for the game.

Overall, interesting comparison as I think they're the only players on our list to have kicked six goals in a game.

Hotdog60
08-03-2015, 12:47 PM
When Dickson plays he kicks goals, doesn't matter who we're playing or who his opponent is. He's had limited opportunities due to injury, but if he can stay fit he'll be up there in the goal kicking. This is his 4th season and we know what he offers.

Grant is in his 8th season and we're still getting excited over the occasion quick handball as a sign of the potential he may have. He hasn't improved in 5 years, and has always struggled against a quality opponent. He just isn't good enough to be an AFL player.

Dickson is a better mark, better kick, fitter, and more consistent. Grant does something flashy once a month. Dickson every day of the week for me.

I tend to agree, Grant is a tease and has been for a long while. Dickson is more consistent but less versatile. I'll lean towards Dickson.

But I do like Grant but I wish he would do more, more often.

azabob
08-03-2015, 01:03 PM
Interesting question - To me it is a case of the sexy V the non sexy.

Grant has a full bag of tricks, but gee whiz they are few and far between in actually coming out of the bag.

Dickson on the other hand always seems to chime in with anywhere from one to four goals a game.

For round one I'd have Dickson ahead of Grant. Both appear to have had a full pre-season, however Dickson appears slightly ahead form wise, if we look purely at goals kicked.

With all things being equal (no injuries) I can't see a spot for both players in the forward line. Especially now Luke Beveridge is pushing the theme everyone needs to be able to play in multiple positions and the arrival of Boyd and the good form of Redpath. Then there is Stringer, Crameri, Bontiempelli, Hrovat, Hunter etc.

Neither of these players appear to be able to play in multiple positions on the ground which will hurt them and I think will result in them not playing as games as perhaps VFL form dictates, especially in Dickson's case.

For Grant to succeed he needs to be in a well drilled, well performing team, otherwise he really struggles to get into the game.
Where as Dickson may only get half a dozen opportunities per game, yet he'll still kick one to two goals.

Come the end of the season, I will be very surprised if Grant is still on our list, let alone in our team - regardless of how we are travelling.

As Jeemak alluded to Dickson might be able to play stay at home role Gia played so well - However I am not sure of Dickson's leadership or ability to tell players where to go etc. during the game.

Bulldog Joe
08-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Very interesting comparison.

For me Dickson offers more reliability and does consistently hit the scoreboard. However, he does not seem to have the ability to bring others into the game and consequently he does need to score those goals to be a contributor.

Grant is the enigma. He does have talent and can really bring others into the game. With his ability he could easily make himself a very important part of the team. It is up to him.

From a selection position I would take Dickson, but Grant can be a much better player when he brings his best. Grant would also benefit greatly from our forward line having more options as he is likely to get a lesser opponent.

So while I would choose Dickson, I really hope that Grant just demands a spot with form

Maddog37
08-03-2015, 02:01 PM
Dickson looks fitter to me this year. He appears to be covering more ground and his speed has taken me by surprise on more than one occasion. At training on Thursday I thought he looked completely uninterested but then when they went into contested work he looked fantastic and a step above most.

Before I Die
08-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Over their respective careers Grant has averaged 1.2 goals a game and Dickson 1.4 which is not a great difference. Both had 2014 ruined by injury. If Grant had kicked straight in the VFL GF he would have probably been Best on Ground. If the question was who do you hope cements their place in the team, then it has to be Grant, his upside is so much more. As for who is in front right now, the next few weeks will determine that.

I actually suspect that Grant's tendency to rove rather than contest pack marks is a coaching instruction to make use of his clean hands at ground level. I also think a few posters have invested a little too heavily in Grant's ultimate failure and subsequently struggle with objectivity, though, this is an opinion board, and all I can do is offer my own.

F'scary
08-03-2015, 03:01 PM
1) Which player out of Grant or Dickson is more likely to command a spot in our round one team?

If we are talking about the FP position, then Dickson. If we are talking about HFF, maybe Grant

2) Can we play both of them in our forward line for much of the season?

If they are both in good form, then yes.

3) Can either player offer much more versatility to the side than primarily being a forward?

I think this has to be Grant. In his late 2013 purple patch, he was getting damaging possessions outside of the 50m arc.

4) Come the end of the season which of them has the better season?

Too hard to say right now. But Dickson will be primarily evaluated by goals per game; Grant more by involvement: possession per game.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-03-2015, 04:30 PM
Dickson is more consistent and typically kicks a goal or two per game, but it masks a lot of his flaws. He isn't great defensively - which appears to be more of a work rate/mental thing, because at times he's shown he can apply it. Secondly, he is the least versatile player on our list and really struggles to find the ball. 10 years ago Dickson would have been a very handy player but I don't think he can cope with the demands of AFL football in 2015. You need to do much more than kick 1-2 goals a game and have 8 possessions.

Having said that, at this early stage he's ahead of Grant who for all his flashy potential isn't consistent, can't find the ball enough and isn't versatile. I'm not sure of the exact role we have for him, but I'd like to see us play Grant as a crumber to Boyd/Redpath - it means he doesn't have to go finding the ball (which he struggles with) but will be forced to stay involved regularly given that our entries will run through Redpath/Boyd with great regularity.

I expect both to be given their 4-5 weeks to cement a position, but neither will play 16+ games.

Testekill
08-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Dickson has really only a couple of tricks, he's a natural forward who is good at picking up goals and is a smart player. If this were the 90s then he'd be played every week because you can't turn down a natural forward. It's just he doesn't have a ton going for him that makes him an incredibly limited player in this day and age.

That said, he consistently impacts games. Grant has that X factor where he makes things happen but other teams don't go out dreading playing against Grant, he just doesn't seem to do a ton out there and is not very good at working himself into a game.

boydogs
08-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Dickson has had a better start to the pre-season but it wouldn't surprise me if neither plays round 1. Boyd, Redpath, Crameri, Stringer is plenty of marking power, then Dahlhaus, Hrovat, Hunter, Honeychurch come into play. Maybe Dickson plays if Crameri is suspended

BornInDroopSt'54
08-03-2015, 09:38 PM
Just put Grant in and leave him in until he succeeds. He will and will be an enzyme that brings others into it with his hands. He is a sure mark and has great hands, speed and creativity.

GVGjr
09-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Just put Grant in and leave him in until he succeeds. He will and will be an enzyme that brings others into it with his hands. He is a sure mark and has great hands, speed and creativity.

Great skills to have but if he isn't getting the ball and if he isn't applying defensive pressure then we should be rewarding other players.
Like most players Grant needs to earn his spot leading into the round one game.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Great skills to have but if he isn't getting the ball and if he isn't applying defensive pressure then we should be rewarding other players.
Like most players Grant needs to earn his spot leading into the round one game.

I understand it's against current practice but I believe once he has success, he will obviously be finding the ball and his defensive efforts will improve. It's my intuition as opposed to my logic but that's the way things happen sometimes. He is a different cat who offers a lot. It's a developmental period, if he is given an extended chance and doesn't make it then out the door but the stigma of wasted talent is sticking so badly to him now that even he seems to accept it. He needs belief and faith from the club in him having what it takes for him to show he deserves it.

azabob
09-03-2015, 10:05 AM
With all due respect BID the club has shown faith in Grant for 8 long years. I dont think Grant would actually appreciate if the club did do as you suggested above and would continue to coast.

GVGjr
09-03-2015, 10:07 AM
I understand it's against current practice but I believe once he has success, he will obviously be finding the ball and his defensive efforts will improve. It's my intuition as opposed to my logic but that's the way things happen sometimes. He is a different cat who offers a lot. It's a developmental period, if he is given an extended chance and doesn't make it then out the door but the stigma of wasted talent is sticking so badly to him now that even he seems to accept it. He needs belief and faith from the club in him having what it takes for him to show he deserves it.

Were Everitt and Hill extended the same 'back em' approach? I can recall Everitt lax focus on training not being rewarded with senior games and I think that was the right thing. I don't mind promoted players being given a 3 or 4 game chance to make their mark but we can't just back them indefinitely.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Were Everitt and Hill extended the same 'back em' approach? I can recall Everitt lax focus on training not being rewarded with senior games and I think that was the right thing. I don't mind promoted players being given a 3 or 4 game chance to make their mark but we can't just back them indefinitely.

Ye s but I didn't rate Everitt or Hill although I can see why you are using them as examples. Lack of heart, but with Grant I think its more confidence and belief. He has the skills, Hill and Everitt don't.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-03-2015, 11:38 AM
With all due respect BID the club has shown faith in Grant for 8 long years. I dont think Grant would actually appreciate if the club did do as you suggested above and would continue to coast.

Yes the club has shown Grant faith in having him on the list for 8 years but what I believe he needs is their faith in playing him in the ones so that he can consolidate what he was able to do the only other time they showed him that faith, in 2013. Last year he had disruptions and Macca's cracking in to contend with. Some talent is more fickle than others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6KBGsboN6s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vEDTw3f7cU

GVGjr
09-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Ye s but I didn't rate Everitt or Hill although I can see why you are using them as examples. Lack of heart, but with Grant I think its more confidence and belief. He has the skills, Hill and Everitt don't.

I think the comparison to Hill and Everitt is a good one.
Both Hill and Everitt had relaxed styles similar to Grant and Hill in particular wasn't a confident young lad but has been made to earn games for both us and West Coast. Talent only takes you so far.
Everitt has probably performed better at his 3rd club and is the same age as Grant but has played 30 more senior games. Hill is a year older but has played twice as many senior games as Grant.

While the club needs to be somewhat patient with Grant it can't afford to gift him games. He knows he is good enough to play good senior football and that this is a contract year for him. The spark also has to come from within more than the club backing him to come good. If he earns his spot we should give him a decent run at it but we also can't just wait it out.

Ghost Dog
09-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Dickson is a better leader and worker, and that's what you need in a young developing side.He really earned his spot coming up through the ranks. He's vocal, and a hard bodied presence in packs.

Grant needs a sports psyche or something to support him. All class, but fades in and out.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Dickson is a better leader and worker, and that's what you need in a young developing side.He really earned his spot coming up through the ranks. He's vocal, and a hard bodied presence in packs.

Grant needs a sports psyche or something to support him. All class, but fades in and out.

Sport can get better at dealing with these types. It is a mental/character thing yet it must be trainable. It is an archetype, the talented temperamental type, as if they can be linked genes, but it must be trainable. I do think that Grant can deliver as he did at the end of 2013, and more consistently. The end of the season came too soon for him.
I have less faith in Grant responding to the scenario of "OK, contract year, make or break, at some stage we'll give you a game or two, you have to make it..'
This is the unwritten script for him atm.

Cyberdoggie
10-03-2015, 02:55 PM
I think both Dickson and Grant will find it hard to get in the side because we have too many dedicated forwards that aren't mids.
Boyd, Redpath, Crameri, Stringer seem to be locks for the permanent forwards. Dahlhaus, Hunter, Hrovat, Daniel, and others are in line for small forward/mid roles. Dickson and Grant can't play as mids or defenders and won't push out the 4 permanent forwards for a spot.

Their best chance is if Crameri has some time off for what Essendon did to him, and then make sure they impress when they get a chance.

Back on topic I like Dickson over Grant for all the reasons already mentioned.

bornadog
10-03-2015, 03:25 PM
I prefer Grant over Dickson. Grant has loads of talent, an x factor, is agile, fast for his height, and can be a headache to match up on. His problem has been consistency. Having said that he may be on his last legs unless he can show something. Similarly, Dickson is also inconsistent and can be lazy, not chasing and tackling and gets completely lost when he is not playing deep. One on one he can be good, but goes to ground easily. When given an opportunity, he will pounce and kick goals. Both players average (approx.) the same number of goals and disposals, over their career.

At the end of the day, we need both players as we have a very young team and these guys have to show leadership in the forwrad line.

Ozza
10-03-2015, 04:15 PM
A lot of talk about Grant's inconsistency. And I'm not meaning to be a smarta__e...but in some ways it has been the opposite - in that he has consistently underperformed. We're talking about a guy who in 8 years has probably produced 4 or 5 legitimately good games - but what we've seen consistently, is that he shows the odd flash of smart play, but largely is simply unable to stay involved in the game throughout.

I think all bulldogs supporters are at least on the same page in that we are all desperate to see what we saw in that Carlton game in 2013 - as becoming closer to the norm.

As for Dickson v Grant - if its a 2 horse race, then I'd be putting my money on Dickson to be the one who earns a spot (and performs) at Senior level out of the two.

I agree with the sentiment that it is better for our side if Grant becomes bona fide best 22. Its just hard to have any faith in that happening on the evidence we've seen.

Greystache
10-03-2015, 04:36 PM
A lot of talk about Grant's inconsistency. And I'm not meaning to be a smarta__e...but in some ways it has been the opposite - in that he has consistently underperformed. We're talking about a guy who in 8 years has probably produced 4 or 5 legitimately good games - but what we've seen consistently, is that he shows the odd flash of smart play, but largely is simply unable to stay involved in the game throughout.

I think all bulldogs supporters are at least on the same page in that we are all desperate to see what we saw in that Carlton game in 2013 - as becoming closer to the norm.

As for Dickson v Grant - if its a 2 horse race, then I'd be putting my money on Dickson to be the one who earns a spot (and performs) at Senior level out of the two.

I agree with the sentiment that it is better for our side if Grant becomes bona fide best 22. Its just hard to have any faith in that happening on the evidence we've seen.

I agree with you. I keep hearing about how much talent Grant has and that it's just he doesn't apply himself consistently enough, but in reality I think it's the opposite. I actually think he has minimal talent and fools some people by doing the odd flashy thing here and there. If you look at him as player, he's skinny, physically weak, an average mark (and poor for his height), average to poor on the lead, poor kick for goal, weak defensively, would be in the bottom handful for endurance in the AFL, and has consistently struggled when matched up against a quality opponent. Really he has always been up against it as a player. He's actually consistently struggled at VFL level too, being little more than what some people complain Dickson is, that being a player who'll pinch a goal or two but have no impact on the game.

What he does do is kick the odd flashy snap or dribble goal, is quick, and throws out the occasional look away handball. His game has never progressed beyond that, and given he'll turn 26 this year it's not going to. Some people see flash and think it's talent waiting to explode, when more often than not it's just that, flash.

bornadog
10-03-2015, 06:14 PM
He just isn't good enough to be an AFL player.

I actually think he has minimal talent and fools some people by doing the odd flashy thing here and there.

Evidence he is a player is right here in this highlights package. Anyone that can do what he does must have talent of some sort.

http://youtu.be/eDLLEHTijWA

It's not just the flashy stuff, its also all the little things he does in a game that fans ignore.

bornadog
10-03-2015, 06:15 PM
and this

http://youtu.be/6QDsanfcdxg

In 2013 when he played the last 8 games he kicked 13 goals plus had 10 goal assists.

1eyedog
10-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Flash and talent mutually exclusive?
If he's all flash he is the greatest Eker of all time!

Greystache
10-03-2015, 07:09 PM
Evidence he is a player is right here in this highlights package. Anyone that can do what he does must have talent of some so

http://youtu.be/eDLLEHTijWA

It's not just the flashy stuff, its also all the little things he does in a game that fans ignore.

A minute of highlights from 5 years ago is all we have to show after all these years? Mostly snaps and running into an open goal shows talent?

He does next to nothing other than flash- 2.5 tackles per game vs Dickson 3.2 for example. Yet somehow Dickson is lazy and Grant's doing the little things? :confused:

Greystache
10-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Flash and talent mutually exclusive?
If he's all flash he is the greatest Eker of all time!

60 games in 8 years would put him firmly in the Eker hall of fame. Pinch one more year on another list and he could be elevated to eker legend.

LostDoggy
11-03-2015, 07:09 AM
60 games in 8 years would put him firmly in the Eker hall of fame. Pinch one more year on another list and he could be elevated to eker legend.

I definitely think he would be picked up as a top up player for another club if we let him go at the end of the year. As previously mentioned, he is one that you could see really coming on to with a fresh start.

Ghost Dog
11-03-2015, 01:10 PM
Grant fears body contact. Premise? Show me once, any kind of big hit, thundering tackle, etc. Basketballer.

bornadog
11-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Grant fears body contact. Premise? Show me once, any kind of big hit, thundering tackle, etc. Basketballer.

How do you know that?

http://youtu.be/R4MxuiQEP9s

Remi Moses
11-03-2015, 02:30 PM
Both inconsistent for me .
Grant's been in the system long enough now to be more consistent than Dickson.
No excuses for Grant as he's had a full pre-season

Twodogs
11-03-2015, 03:40 PM
How do you know that?

http://youtu.be/R4MxuiQEP9s

As an aside dis Dalhaus drop the ball as he kicked that goal?

bornadog
11-03-2015, 03:49 PM
As an aside dis Dalhaus drop the ball as he kicked that goal?

Drop kick, nothing wrong with that.:D

1eyedog
11-03-2015, 04:08 PM
He definitely didn't pull out of that one. Good stuff.

Twodogs
11-03-2015, 04:50 PM
Drop kick, nothing wrong with that.:D

Drop kicks have been called before and I think technically the umpire is right if he does call it. He's right there too and usually they can't wait to involve themselves in the game. He must have been thinking about robots or something.

lemmon
11-03-2015, 06:50 PM
I'm not a massive Grant critic but I don't see what Dickson has done wrong to not deserve first crack at it. When in the seniors he's consistently managed goals; even bags, and contributed via the scoreboard, those tackle stats Greystache posted are quite good also. He could potentially add 35 goals from his own boot to the forward line this year, we aren't in a position to turn that down.

1eyedog
11-03-2015, 10:18 PM
A minute of highlights from 5 years ago is all we have to show after all these years? Mostly snaps and running into an open goal shows talent?

He does next to nothing other than flash- 2.5 tackles per game vs Dickson 3.2 for example. Yet somehow Dickson is lazy and Grant's doing the little things? :confused:

Is this like 3.5 tackles more over 5 games? Not much to write home about really...

Mofra
12-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Is this like 3.5 tackles more over 5 games? Not much to write home about really...
Extrapolate that to a 22 man team and it's 77 tackles which is more than most teams in an average game.
It's a significant difference

1eyedog
12-03-2015, 05:13 PM
15.4 extra a game when divided across 5 games. Yeah that puts it into perspective.

bulldogtragic
21-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Jarrad as courageous as I can recall. If this is here to stay, my faith will be rewarded. And if he's down back, both he and Sickson can be named.

bulldogtragic
21-03-2015, 08:32 PM
He looks more muscle toned too. A manic look in his eyes too. I like it.

kruder
21-03-2015, 11:50 PM
We have our answer after tonight. Both were bloody excellent and both will be in the starting 22 come round 1.

Testekill
22-03-2015, 12:07 AM
No bloody clue which one we play now. Both stuck their hands up in completely different ways.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-03-2015, 12:08 AM
We have our answer after tonight. Both were bloody excellent and both will be in the starting 22 come round 1.

It looks likely.

bornadog
22-03-2015, 12:08 AM
No bloody clue which one we play now. Both stuck their hands up in completely different ways.

Why can't both play?

boydogs
22-03-2015, 02:03 AM
Both were really good tonight but just as importantly both showed greater flexibility and more consistent involvement in the game. It will really help the team if they can both be flexible options

Go_Dogs
22-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Yes, I think we can declare this answered, and in the best possible fashion. Both have moved into my 'locks for round 1' list.

Grant found ways to impose himself on the game without gathering a stack of the ball - that would have made the coaching group very happy, his ability to persevere and stay involved in the contest in various ways. A mate and I referred to him as our enforcer at one point - never said that about him before.

Dickson was also very good, liked him starting off a wing, his pace looks to be improved and he's covering the ground well. His forward craft is sensational, picking the right options by hand and foot. He's going to have a good year if he keeps working as hard as he did last night.

The most pleasing thing for both was their running. Both worked really hard off the ball to create an option presenting at the ball carrier, and creating space behind them. Very team orientated games.

bornadog
22-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Yes, I think we can declare this answered, and in the best possible fashion. Both have moved into my 'locks for round 1' list.

Grant found ways to impose himself on the game without gathering a stack of the ball - that would have made the coaching group very happy, his ability to persevere and stay involved in the contest in various ways. A mate and I referred to him as our enforcer at one point - never said that about him before.

Dickson was also very good, liked him starting off a wing, his pace looks to be improved and he's covering the ground well. His forward craft is sensational, picking the right options by hand and foot. He's going to have a good year if he keeps working as hard as he did last night.

The most pleasing thing for both was their running. Both worked really hard off the ball to create an option presenting at the ball carrier, and creating space behind them. Very team orientated games.

I always thought Dickson played his best football deep in the forward line but last night he showed he can play further up the ground. Hopefully the two can take this form into the season proper.

GVGjr
22-03-2015, 10:49 AM
Grants performance last night I hope proved to him a few things for him:

1) You don't need to get a lot of the football if your energy levels are high and attack the football
2) On talent he is in our best 22 but talent alone won't get him selected
3) He could be a one club player over a long period if he maintains that type if intensity.

Dickson mythbusted the perception that he didn't have the tank to contribute to the team outside of the forward 50mtr arc

Ambition by the players and competition for spots in the best 22 can be a powerful motivator.

SonofScray
22-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Dickson was everywhere, chasing with intent and really bringing some defensive pressure up the field. It was very valuable in limiting the amount of overlap and easy ball for the opposition on the turnover. I loved that this was something Beveridge commented on with regards to whoever he plays in a forward pocket, we saw it from Picken when he was there, but Dickson really looked at home in that role.

Grant is a player I believe in. He showed plenty last night, courage in the air to help out the defence, combined with a bit of gut running defensively and real tenacity to force a contest when the ball was up for grabs across the wing and in the middle. defended the turnover really well. His offensive handball was as good as you'll see, really setting the runners up for a good dash and long kick into the forward line. I'd like to see him add the long kick, deep to the square into his game when he gets into space himself. There is a variation on the Eagleton role there for him, one we really need filled.

EasternWest
22-03-2015, 01:14 PM
How was Grant's left handed scoop off the ground? Just ridiculous.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-03-2015, 02:11 PM
What a great team effort. Bevo must be a great communicator because the whole team knew what to do and were on. They were really pumped and Collingwood didn't show up and were pantsied.

F'scary
22-03-2015, 02:24 PM
Both should be in the round 1 team on last night's form. Grant's handling of the ball is a treat to watch.

Drunken Bum
22-03-2015, 03:17 PM
I think the quick movement gameplan will really suit Grant, he's so dangerous with his hands, with players on the move around him he could be a real weapon setting up scoring opportunities even if he isn't getting a heap of the ball and if he keeps up the defensive efforts like last night could yet be a very good player, i had almost lost faith, i'm not completely convinced yet but could be an exciting/interesting ride. He'd have to be the best look away handballer in the comp, awesome to watch especially now as it seems the other players on the move have caught up with his hands now

Both play for mine

Bumper Bulldogs
22-03-2015, 04:47 PM
He has always shown a bit and teased us all. We know he could be anything but it's between the ears that he needs work. If Bevo is inside his head he could have a good season.
Makes a difference when two guys are playing for the one contract at the end of the year.

azabob
22-03-2015, 05:08 PM
He has always shown a bit and teased us all. We know he could be anything but it's between the ears that he needs work. If Bevo is inside his head he could have a good season.
Makes a difference when two guys are playing for the one contract at the end of the year.

Except Dickson is contracted till end of 2016.

Before I Die
22-03-2015, 06:48 PM

I felt Grant was judged very harshly last season. He was injured during the off season and missed the start of the year and lacked fitness. When he was able to start playing again he took a while to get the touch, confidence and fitness back up. he made it back into the seniors and was doing ok then got his nose broken. He then got back in again and did ok but lost his spot to a returning regular (can't remember who it was). And that was it, 23 rounds had been played.

Dry Rot
25-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Grant looked a totally different player - did some of the hardest stuff on the field. Very impressive.

We have a midfield of giants: Bont, Macrae, Stringer, Jong, Grant...even Redpath seemed to pop in there, which was fun to watch.

hotdog
25-03-2015, 01:45 PM
Grant has beautiful hands and very sticky fingers. Not sure if they were following instructions but there were a lot of kicks out of the backline directed in his general vicinity. Makes sense as he's better than 50/50 chance to win the ball in the air based on his height and marking ability. Really liked the way he was used and can see a spot for him in such a role.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Yeh, kick it to Grant! Get him in the game.

Raw Toast
25-03-2015, 11:50 PM
I thought both were very impressive against the Pies - part of what I liked is that that in the second half at least, they seemed to be swapping between the forward and back flanks. If they can do that throughout games it creates some glorious flexibility and makes the run out of the backline harder for opposition teams to plan for and shut down.

Dickson doesn't have as much upside as Grant, but he contributed well in his moments down back, and was clever in his use of the ball coming forward. Grant, as others have noted, impacted lots of contests with his intensity, and could have been used more than he was - his positioning around contests down back was often great and his hands make him so dangerous when he can hand off to runners around him.

So like others at the moment, I'd play both and think that they can be complementary figures in games rather than have to compete for the same spot.