PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned 2015 - Round 2 Edition

Eastdog
05-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Once the Round 2 match against Richmond is completed, let us know the three things you learned after watching the match.

Be constructive but be honest.

GVGjr
11-04-2015, 04:48 PM
Some changes against the Hawks no doubt

whythelongface
11-04-2015, 05:21 PM
1. We can play finals football this year
2. Dickson is getting better and better and is critical to the team
3. Mitch Wallis is really stepping up into a leader

westbulldog
11-04-2015, 05:58 PM
1. Honeychurch and Dickson have really stepped up.
2. Jong's non-mark is the worst decision in the season thus far.
3. Get Alex Rance next year.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-04-2015, 06:19 PM
1. What I learned today most of all today is that we have a cohesive team that is learning and gaining belief at a rapid rate. We may not ultimately be able to sustain this for 22 weeks, however we are going to set a great platform to move to the next level in 12 months.
2. Stringer could be something special but he needs to improve immensely in the simple things or he will eternally frustrate coaches and fans alike.
3. It's going to be hard for those outside of the current 22 to get into the side. And that is a great sign when you think of the emerging talent in the ressies.

ReLoad
11-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Well, I've only got one, the international science community could have saved billions by not building the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland, Bontempelli is living proof that God exists, because he is it.

Even when he has a player sitting on him, he tackles and every tackle counts.

We haven't had anyone like him since turtle, fox footy even had references to "The Bont" in its stats bar

bornadog
11-04-2015, 07:26 PM
1. Great to play in front of a big ground on a beautiful day and beat a so called big club.

2. You can lose in the midfield, in total disposals, inside 50's, free kick count but importantly win tackling, cont possessions and team play and still win the game.

3. Dickson is an opportunist but we need to create the opportunities as we have done the last two weeks and get the ball down to him.

azabob
11-04-2015, 07:32 PM
BAD I think you are under selling Dickson version 2015. He is fitter, stronger, quicker and covers more ground than previous years.

GVGjr
11-04-2015, 07:52 PM
BAD I think you are under selling Dickson version 2015. He is fitter, stronger, quicker and covers more ground than previous years.

BAD, I'm also confident that you've made the wrong call on Dickson. He performed well up the field and applied pressure up forward. He's a fair bit more than just an opportunist.

F'scary
11-04-2015, 07:54 PM
1. The Cordy experiment at CHF was a dud (good move by Bevo to get him off). Cordy is first ruckman or not in the team. We need a more mobile CHF: Redpath or give Hamling a go.

2. I thought Stringer was a better set shot at goal. Restated as a question: what the F has happened to Stringer with his set shots? When he came to us he was crafty. On a par with Dickson. Now he can't hit a barn door...

3. We can beat 23. (thanks Umps).

Webby
11-04-2015, 07:59 PM
BAD, I'm also confident that you've made the wrong call on Dickson. He performed well up the field and applied pressure up forward. He's a fair bit more than just an opportunist.

Yeah and hasn't torn a pectoral muscle! Ever torn one of them? Debilitating to say the least!

The bloke is a lethal set shot. LETHAL. Best I've seen for us - alongside Hudson. Even if he got three cheap chest marks inside 50 per game, he'd be worth his spot.

SquirrelGrip
11-04-2015, 09:02 PM
1. Talia's defensive skills are right up there.

2. Bonty can tackle too!

3. The Baby Bombers of 2000 are to be overtaken by the even better Baby Bulldogs of 2015.

boydogs
11-04-2015, 09:28 PM
1. Our tackling pressure is elite, one moment the opposition is in space and the next the guy with the ball and all his options are covered

2. Cordy is still miles away from contributing at AFL level

3. Dickson has a lot to offer, even broke tackles through the midfield today

bornadog
11-04-2015, 09:31 PM

I am only saying positive things about him. He has been terrific. Give him the opportunity and he will kick goals. By that I mean further up the ground has got to get the ball to him.

SlimPickens
11-04-2015, 09:34 PM
1. Dickson is the most underrated player on our list. His work rate and ability to hit the scoreboard is top class.

2. Liam Picken needs to stop kicking the ball.

3. Mitch Wallis is a leader of this group.

LostDoggy
11-04-2015, 09:38 PM
1 Dickson has really surprised me, deserves his spot in the team when I thought he would be a fringe player this year.
2 I'm very surprised by Talias development, seems a different player.
3 we should have stuck with Redpath for another week

westdog54
11-04-2015, 09:46 PM
1. We will be scary good in two years time.
2. We are no longer irrelevant.
3. Fans who haven't committed as members are fast running out of excuses.

Greystache
11-04-2015, 10:14 PM
1. People who said Dickson can't play don't understand football.

2. Manic pressure can overcome inexperience.

3. The AFL is more predetermined than I thought, the umpiring today was borderline cheating.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2015, 10:31 PM
1. I love this new Grant. Even more.
2. I want Alex Rance
3. Honeychurch reminds me of a quicker Libba Snr

GVGjr
11-04-2015, 10:33 PM
1. I love this new Grant. Even more.

What tipped you over the edge today? :)

bulldogtragic
11-04-2015, 10:45 PM
What tipped you over the edge today? :)

The small things. Good pressure, was a part of tackling in packs whether he was first or second, but did the team role. His quick hands facilitate quick movement. Got a few shots at goal and kicked a clutch goal off the back of gut running to burn his defender.

He no longer appears 'disinterested' and is going hard at the ball, things thrown against him in the past. He's not a bulking CHF or 30 touch midfielder - but neither are several Hawthorn utilities who play a role, pressure and hit the scoreboard.

Greystache
11-04-2015, 10:50 PM
The small things. Good pressure, was a part of tackling in packs whether he was first or second, but did the team role. His quick hands facilitate quick movement. Got a few shots at goal and kicked a clutch goal off the back of gut running to burn his defender.

He no longer appears 'disinterested' and is going hard at the ball, things thrown against him in the past. He's not a bulking CHF or 30 touch midfielder - but neither are several Hawthorn utilities who play a role, pressure and hit the scoreboard.

I love you like a brother BT, but surely today was yet another example that as one of our most experienced players that he's just out of his depth.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2015, 10:58 PM
I love you like a brother BT, but surely today was yet another example that as one of our most experienced players that he's just out of his depth.

I look at him in percentage terms with improvement. It's been a low base I agree, but his improvement in tackling (primary and secondary tackler) is a good percent up. His quick hands in the middle add some more percent. In past years he would've been standing at CHF spectating, where tonight he gut ran and sprinted 70-80 metres to burn his defender and mark in the square and kick a clutch goal and reward the team. A 60% chance to goal was made 100% with effort on his part not always seen previously. The goal was that extra one I think made it psychologically hard for them.

Sometimes raw numbers tell a story. In this case I look at improvement in percentage terms and I think the graph is going in the right direction. As I say, a few shots at goal, clutch goal, gut running, team tackling and playing a team role. That to me doesn't scream dropping, it doesn't scream votes either, granted.

ratsmac
11-04-2015, 11:05 PM

BT does have special rose coloured glasses when it comes to Spindles. :p

I thought Grant was average today but done enough team things to keep his spot.

ratsmac
11-04-2015, 11:13 PM
1. We are going to win a lot more games than I thought this year.
2. Matthew Boyd can hit a target. Since going back his foot skills have been really good.
3. Dickson is an important part of our forward line. He was great today.

LostDoggy
11-04-2015, 11:52 PM
1. Favourite schmavourite. We might get done next week, but they are going to have to walk through the fires of hell to get us.
2. You gotta nail dem set shots boys.
3. Grant won't get a single touch against the Hawkers if he doesn't improve.

jeemak
12-04-2015, 01:47 AM
1. Improvement as a team takes years. The foundation of contested work and pressure was laid three or so years ago and now it is the expected return from players playing for our club

2. If you arrive at the game with a healthy mindset of pressure, run and carry you can get a leg up on a more credentialed side that is off its game and potentially win the game. We did that today against a Tigers side that was terrible

3. Umpiring can be disgraceful and ugly to watch, but ultimately not influential over the game. I've never seen anything like what I saw today, and if it's not something that is mentioned at AFL House on Monday the administrators are asleep at the wheel

Remi Moses
12-04-2015, 02:57 AM
1. The decision to play the experienced players in the back half is a very smart one.
2 . One team was prepared to get its hands dirty, the other was one that gets smashed in elimination finals.
3 . Dickson surprised me today, as I thought he was teetering as a good lower level footballer .( I think Goodes might fit that bill)

Remi Moses
12-04-2015, 02:59 AM
1. We will be scary good in two years time.
2. We are no longer irrelevant.
3. Fans who haven't committed as members are fast running out of excuses.

Fans who haven't purchased a membership are missing out !
Any of you who read this. You are pathetic :mad:

Mantis
12-04-2015, 06:05 AM
1. People who said Dickson can't play don't understand football.

What a ridiculous statement... The 2015 version of Dickson is far different to those of previous years.

Credit where it's due he is proving plenty of people wrong ( including me) with his performances so far, but at the start of the year supporters were correctly questioning his position in the team.

LostDoggy
12-04-2015, 07:24 AM
What a ridiculous statement... The 2015 version of Dickson is far different to those of previous years.

Credit where it's due he is proving plenty of people wrong ( including me) with his performances so far, but at the start of the year supporters were correctly questioning his position in the team.

His form since that questioning shows they were incorrect. he's not a different bloke, he's simply improved, and that's allowed attributes that many have seen come to the fore.

Mantis
12-04-2015, 07:45 AM
His form since that questioning shows they were incorrect. he's not a different bloke, he's simply improved, and that's allowed attributes that many have seen come to the fore.

Perhaps incorrect, but having a different opinion doesn't mean they don't understand the game.

LostDoggy
12-04-2015, 08:02 AM
Perhaps incorrect, but having a different opinion doesn't mean they don't understand the game.

You both over-exaggerated. That's all.

Go_Dogs
12-04-2015, 10:28 AM
1. I love watching us play at the MCG - next year we're going to deserve a few more games there, perhaps a couple that are Friday night...

2. Matthew Boyd's career is well and truly alive. Some of his efforts yesterday, including his gut running ability, were huge. If he can avoid injury he may continue beyond 2015.

3. Easton Wood put in perhaps one of his best performances for the Club, showing his defensive work remains sound but that he can do the work offensively too, accumulating a lot of ball and snapping a nice goal - he needs to be signed ASAP as he, along with Roughead, are going to be our senior defenders 2016-onwards.

SonofScray
12-04-2015, 12:19 PM
1. Injury free, fit and playing in a system that suits his skillset, Easton Wood is firmly establishing himself as the player we all hoped he could become.

2. Our organisation off the bench and in the midfield has improved, you can see that everyone understands what they need to be doing.

3. Our foot soldiers in this squad aren't going to be ekers, they are good footballers.

BulldogBelle
12-04-2015, 04:12 PM
1. Stringer needs to fix his run-up when having a shot for goal. Michael Holding was born in 1954 but there is no need to celebrate that by trying to outdo the length of his run-up.

Looking at Jake's run-up, he seems to get balanced after about 6 steps, then, as he is still 20 meters short of the mark he gets himself unbalanced again, walks and other 5 or 6 steps and then loses sight of where the mark was and does a crooked kick.

2. The players will do it for Murph.

3. Our present style of play brings out the best in the players.

The Underdog
12-04-2015, 04:32 PM
1. Our defensive positioning and knowing when to break and intercept or spoil is 1000% better under Beveridge.

2. Matthew Boyd is truly reborn as a HBF

3. Mitch Wallis may be the greatest beneficiary of Libba missing and may mean we don't miss him as much as we thought.

Smads57
12-04-2015, 05:24 PM
1. was waiting for Richmond to come over the top of us after qtr time but it didn't happen - we aren't the same team we were last year
2. loved the burst of crowd noise when Bonti got the ball at one stage and run out of the centre and had a shot for goal...realised I am not the only Bulldog's supporter who gets a little bit over excited when the Bont has the ball in hand
3. forgot how really good early draft picks can be

Ghost Dog
12-04-2015, 05:56 PM
1. Ryan Grifin (sic) is probably wishing he had hung on.
2. Matty Boyd in the backline is an inspired move that really surprises. His experience is gold, and his kicking must be very accountable, so he's more careful with the ball. It's working, or seems to be.
3. Tom Boyd, even when he has an average day, is going to draw the best defender and there is value in that alone. His work inside is actually really good for a big bloke. Saw a few fakes and turns when he was hand-passing on the boundary that sort of surprised me - Great footy brain.

Ghost Dog
12-04-2015, 06:00 PM

The gift of Tom Boyd keeps giving, and our smaller forwards are going to be presented with numerous opportunities in the big man's wake. He had limited opportunities as a forward in our previous set up.

bulldogtragic
12-04-2015, 06:53 PM
The gift of Tom Boyd keeps giving, and our smaller forwards are going to be presented with numerous opportunities in the big man's wake. He had limited opportunities as a forward in our previous set up.

This is what the media refuse to hear. Boyd gets best. So Crameri, Dickson, Stringer, Dahl, Grant etc get lesser defenders. And they're scoring heavily so far. But I don't care, because winning games is better than winning over moronic 'journos' who can't see it.

Bulldog4life
12-04-2015, 08:01 PM
1. Every game enforces to me what a sensational job Simon Dalrymple has done recently.

2. Mitch Honeychurch is such a terrier and is proving to be a great pick up at pick 60.

3. Wally you are getting better and better every game.

always right
12-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Would be great to see big Tom clunk a few but he already attracts a crowd which creates opportunities for our other forwards.

Bont's confidence knows no bounds....his neat move inside Miles after taking the mark was rediculous. Would have been a great goal.

Dickson is twice the player he has been in previous years. Happy to admit I was wrong if he can maintain this form.

bornadog
12-04-2015, 11:18 PM
Would be great to see big Tom clunk a few but he already attracts a crowd which creates opportunities for our other forwards.

Did you notice a few times Boyd punch the ball to the ground instead of going for the mark? A Hawks mate mentioned he noticed this trend with some of the resting ruck,am at Hawthorn. None of them were going for marks just getting the ball to ground to feed the little blokes.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2015, 11:23 PM
1. We are a dangerous side.

2. Never seen the club so united.

3. I love Bevo, his refreshing non-spin honesty and his game plan.

jazzadogs
12-04-2015, 11:34 PM
Did you notice a few times Boyd punch the ball to the ground instead of going for the mark? A Hawks mate mentioned he noticed this trend with some of the resting ruck,am at Hawthorn. None of them were going for marks just getting the ball to ground to feed the little blokes.

Absolutely. He knows his role and he is playing it well. As others have said, he could have finished with three goals if advantage hadn't been paid. He was being scragged, held, knocked around but still made a contest every time.
Rance got a lot of the ball, but there weren't many occasions where a long kick to our forward line equalled anything other than a contest and ball to ground.

The best thing is that we did continue to try to hit players on the lead. JJ's hit up of Dickson for his third goal was more composed than I expected, and there are other examples (Bont to Wallis for one).

The Bulldogs Bite
13-04-2015, 12:33 AM
Rance was mainly on Stringer when he did all of his damage, not Boyd.

LostDoggy
13-04-2015, 01:43 AM
Anyone notice that Toyd does not ever lead? Like ever!

He is always gesturing to have the ball kicked long for him in the square. Is this a gameplay, to drag away opp defenders and open up space for other forwards to lead into, or is it something he needs to work on?

bornadog
13-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Anyone notice that Toyd does not ever lead? Like ever!

He is always gesturing to have the ball kicked long for him in the square. Is this a gameplay, to drag away opp defenders and open up space for other forwards to lead into, or is it something he needs to work on?

Yes I have noticed that too. He needs to learn to lead, this isn't the under 16 where he is the tallest of all the juniors and he can just stick his hands up in the air and clunk it. He can learn a bit from both Riewoldts, unless as you say its part of the gameplan to just bring the ball to ground.

turtle
13-04-2015, 11:55 AM
1. Quality players with that are one way runners are actually a massive liability (Cooney, Higgins, Carlton & Collingwood midfields)
2. We need to work on Stringers set shots. (Im sure at in his draft year he we THE BEST shot at the combine testing) He could win the Coleman if he gets that right.
3. Alex Rance would fast track us by 2 yrs

Maddog37
13-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Yes I have noticed that too. He needs to learn to lead, this isn't the under 16 where he is the tallest of all the juniors and he can just stick his hands up in the air and clunk it. He can learn a bit from both Riewoldts, unless as you say its part of the gameplan to just bring the ball to ground.

He is a very smart kid so you would expect it is an instruction. It helps us attack the top of the square and if he draws a crowd it creates space for guys to lead in front of him.

Mofra
13-04-2015, 12:07 PM
I noticed this - I was sitting next to a Richmond supporting friend and noted that in previous years Rance would have managed many more marks than he did on Saturday.
All of our F50 players bar Cordy are decent crumbers, our F50 tackle pressure is sky high and we're no longer getting outmarked in the F50 on the back of the efforts of a 19 year old 200cm player who is still very raw. I'm satisfied enough.

Cyberdoggie
13-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Anyone else notice the free kick stats?

30 to 13 in Richmond's favour, yet no one is really complaining!

I think a lot of this is due to the pressure we are applying, and also because we are almost happy to concede a free kick in some areas if it means that the opposition player will have to get up and get behind the mark to continue play. This gives us more time to setup and recover. Interesting to see if this trend continues.

always right
13-04-2015, 12:59 PM

I think a lot of this is due to the pressure we are applying, and also because we are almost happy to concede a free kick in some areas if it means that the opposition player will have to get up and get behind the mark to continue play. This gives us more time to setup and recover. Interesting to see if this trend continues.

And the number didn't include the howler by McInerney(who else?) when he didn't pay Jong's mark.

Mofra
13-04-2015, 01:10 PM
A few of those were soft frees in the ruck contest.
The two biggest blokes going at it in a test of strength to put the ball to advantage. I really believe if there's one area of the game where leniency has to be applied and only the most obvious ones paid, it's in the ruck contest.

Happy Days
13-04-2015, 01:27 PM
To be honest with the game style we're playing we're going to lose the free kick count most weeks.

F'scary
13-04-2015, 01:53 PM
To be honest with the game style we're playing we're going to lose the free kick count most weeks.

Jackson Macrae got pinged for high tackles two or three times, he may need to improve his tackling technique, come in a bit lower or finesse more. But this is not to take away from the fact that the umpiring unilaterally disadvantaged us.

Cyberdoggie
13-04-2015, 02:15 PM
I agree there were a few there, there always is, the opposition would say the same no doubt, but I guess the point is that at 30 to 13, this is more than just a few missed here and there.

I guess my point is that if you lay a correct tackle, how often will you get rewarded for that? and how often is the opposition player likely to get the ball straight out to a team mate?, and when he does, your player is still on the ground in the tackle, unable to chase.

Alternatively if you give a free kick away, the play stops briefly, the player has to get up off the ground and get back behind his mark. This buys you time, time for others to move into position, blocking the spaces that were open a few seconds before hand.

This also disturbs the oppositions rhythm and run, forcing them to continually kick from stationary to a contest, and allows us to prepare for a counter attack.

bulldogtragic
13-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Cordy had a net differential of 3 frees against (3-0). Not helpful.

Go_Dogs
13-04-2015, 02:31 PM
I

I had a whinge in the game day thread!

bornadog
13-04-2015, 02:31 PM

One stat we are winning is number one for most frees against. We also lead tackles.

Maddog37
13-04-2015, 02:36 PM
Jackson Macrae got pinged for high tackles two or three times, he may need to improve his tackling technique, come in a bit lower or finesse more. But this is not to take away from the fact that the umpiring unilaterally disadvantaged us.

Jack looks like he is doing it on purpose. Seems happy to give the free away if he gets a chance to hurt someone.

Webby
13-04-2015, 02:54 PM
One stat we are winning is number one for most frees against. We also lead tackles.

Unsociable Football!?

Templeton31
13-04-2015, 03:38 PM

I think he knows how to lead and when but at the moment his tank isn't big enough or fast enough to get off seasoned AFL backman. As he gets more games and probably more importantly more preseasons he will be doing that. The Riewoldts are excellent examples he should/will follow but I don't think either of them had the tank at the start of their 2nd year to do the running and repeat leading they do now.

Mofra
13-04-2015, 03:48 PM
I don't think either of them had the tank at the start of their 2nd year to do the running and repeat leading they do now.
Nick has always been an elite runner - was near the top of the Saints running group from the moment he began his career. It was a highlight of his junior days, hence teams used to plan rotations for backmen to run with him.

LostDoggy
13-04-2015, 04:00 PM
Tackle hard, sometimes too hard and give up free kicks? Im cool with that.

I've learnt we need more games at the G. First time taking the little one to the footy, had a ball, and not the same atmosphere as Etihad.

Stefcep
13-04-2015, 06:03 PM
1. Quality players with that are one way runners are actually a massive liability (Cooney, Higgins, Carlton & Collingwood midfields)

Do you mean "outside" players? If so, i disagree. I just don't get this pre-occupation with "inside player=good", "outside player=bad".

A team full of "inside" grunt types would do nothing but play to to negate the opposition. No-one wants to go watch that, and, if you want to win, you have to finish. It might start with winning a hard ball/crunch a tackle, but what happens next is equally important. Cooney and Higgins both broke games apart for us at times, with the speed and high level skills.

You need the Cooney and Higgins types, and dare I say, the Eagletons' as well.

SlimPickens
13-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Do you mean "outside" players? If so, i disagree. I just don't get this pre-occupation with "inside player=good", "outside player=bad".

A team full of "inside" grunt types would do nothing but play to to negate the opposition. No-one wants to go watch that, and, if you want to win, you have to finish. It might start with winning a hard ball/crunch a tackle, but what happens next is equally important. Cooney and Higgins both broke games apart for us at times, with the speed and high level skills.

You need the Cooney and Higgins types, and dare I say, the Eagletons' as well.

I think he meant players who a willing to run as hard defensively as they are offensively. Cooney and Higgins both struggled in this.

Go_Dogs
13-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Unsociable Football!?

That will come in handy this week.

LostDoggy
14-04-2015, 08:50 PM
Our pressure and tackling are unrelenting.
Love watching all our young guns have huge appetites for the contested ball.
Dead-Eye-Dicko is our most reliable set shot for goal.
Matty Boyd-better disposal efficency then what I thought he had in him.