PDA

View Full Version : Well Ruck Me.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Mofra
21-06-2021, 09:23 AM
Have a feeling his contract extension won't be triggered and we'll be hard on the hunt for another mature ruck at the end of this season.
I felt he was a 5-10 game ruckman this year but would be a wonderful pick up as a playing coach.
He's been fantastic for the development of Sweet (and to a lesser extent Timmy) but I really want us to pick up a mature ruckman.

Actually, a mature ruckman and a kid (Sam Darcy may be that kid).

Not too many OOC - Max Lynch, Lloyd Meek, Archie Smith, Rhys Stanley, Matthew Flynn, BTC, Chol, Callum Sinclair and Nathan Vardy

Not really an inspiring list.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_of_contract_players

Vred
21-06-2021, 10:54 AM
I felt he was a 5-10 game ruckman this year but would be a wonderful pick up as a playing coach.
He's been fantastic for the development of Sweet (and to a lesser extent Timmy) but I really want us to pick up a mature ruckman.

Actually, a mature ruckman and a kid (Sam Darcy may be that kid).

Not too many OOC - Max Lynch, Lloyd Meek, Archie Smith, Rhys Stanley, Matthew Flynn, BTC, Chol, Callum Sinclair and Nathan Vardy

Not really an inspiring list.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_of_contract_players

Yeah really not liking what’s on offer for mature ducks at the moment... English isn’t it, Sweet still needs development, Darcy is a kid, no idea what we do...

comrade
21-06-2021, 10:55 AM
I'd be keeping an eye on Lynch, Meek and Flynn or just hope like hell that Sweet can find another level.

Happy Days
21-06-2021, 11:34 AM
Meek and Flynn are legit. If I was Flynn I would be pretty pissed about putting up good games and still having a guy who I'm like 99% sure is playing in a girdle continually picked ahead of me, but I assume they wanna actually keep him. Meek might be more achievable.

Mofra
23-06-2021, 10:14 AM
Meek and Flynn are legit. If I was Flynn I would be pretty pissed about putting up good games and still having a guy who I'm like 99% sure is playing in a girdle continually picked ahead of me, but I assume they wanna actually keep him. Meek might be more achievable.
Given Meek is a Ballarat boy and that's our area, we should ask the AFL to chip in one of those dodgy 'ambassador' payments that some clubs seem to get (e.g.the money Tom Lynch was offered to stay at GCS, the money Touk Miller gets, NSW ambassador payments, etc)

Happy Days
23-06-2021, 10:24 AM
Given Meek is a Ballarat boy and that's our area, we should ask the AFL to chip in one of those dodgy 'ambassador' payments that some clubs seem to get (e.g.the money Tom Lynch was offered to stay at GCS, the money Touk Miller gets, NSW ambassador payments, etc)

For Lloyd Meek? Doubt they bite.

azabob
23-06-2021, 11:00 AM
For Lloyd Meek? Doubt they bite.

Is the offer in your signature still on the table? Imagine we landed him instead of big Stef.

- RIP Goldstein for 2021 First - 2020-2020 -

Happy Days
23-06-2021, 01:11 PM
Is the offer in your signature still on the table? Imagine we landed him instead of big Stef.

- RIP Goldstein for 2021 First - 2020-2020 -

I know we had a lot of irons in the fire but we really should’ve pushed harder on him. No way if we offered North the pick they say no.

The Pie Man
24-06-2021, 02:46 PM
Ladhams got dropped again this week, massive long shot but worth an enquiry

bulldogtragic
27-06-2021, 10:49 PM
Shout out to Timmy.

NN got 7 more touches (much less efficient though), 16 more hit outs and a handful more clearances
Timmy got 6 more marks and 3 more tackles, 2 more intercepts, 1 more shot at goal, 1 more GA & Score Involvement, 19% more efficient

Without going to the tapes, I’m going to say NN won in the ruck contests that was responsible for his main stats being higher. But Tim seems to have outworked him around the ground, especially forward to even the ledger. Both men played to their very different strengths. In the end best case for WCE was a draw where they expected dominance. Bevo’s counter point to play to our strengths and not overly focus on weakness paid off as Tim’s return was terrific.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-06-2021, 11:07 PM
Shout out to Timmy.

NN got 7 more touches (much less efficient though), 16 more hit outs and a handful more clearances
Timmy got 6 more marks and 3 more tackles, 2 more intercepts, 1 more shot at goal, 1 more GA & Score Involvement, 19% more efficient

Without going to the tapes, I’m going to say NN won in the ruck contests that was responsible for his main stats being higher. But Tim seems to have outworked him around the ground, especially forward to even the ledger. Both men played to their very different strengths. In the end best case for WCE was a draw where they expected dominance. Bevo’s counter point to play to our strengths and not overly focus on weakness paid off as Tim’s return was terrific.

Agree. But I saw some really good signs from Tim with his ruckcraft. NN is the type of player Tim has been panted by before. Today, we saw Tim time his jumps better, use movement and change of position at the ruck contest to at least halve the hit out, and deny NN (and therefore his on all crew) 100% confidence they were going to win at every ruck contest.
Like Bont, NN's talent can't always be denied, but Tim did more than enough to ensure Nick wasn't a crucial factor.

Testekill
28-06-2021, 02:28 PM
Natanui also frequently grabs onto and pulls away the opponent, you saw a few times where he grabs the waist of English and used his momentum to remove English from the contest entirely.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2021, 05:54 PM
Just the facts Jack. Just the facts.

Stef Martin
34 years 7 months

2021:
5 games without injury
2 games injured in/after (Achilles & Shoulder)
7 games missed to injury at this stage

Out for another two or three with a groin. Three seperate injuries now. Whilst I’m not wanting to sign him to next season, if there’s room in our soft cap I think he could be really important for a few seasons. Our main competitor rival rucks are Gawn & McInerney, who Martin has played with them at Melbourne & Brisbane. Plus he’s got 15 years experience and would have great insight on how to tactically deal with all the rucks in the league. With English still developing, Sweet trying to get his career moving and Darcy going to need to add technique to his 205cm, a very well seasoned ruck coach seems like something which would be nice to have now into the longer window. Martin seems like a good candidate. Like Bevo he can give up the other stuff and just focus on the weights.

comrade
01-07-2021, 05:57 PM
Out for another two or three with a groin. Three seperate injuries now. Whilst I’m not wanting to sign him to next season, if there’s room in our soft cap I think he could be really important for a few seasons. Our main competitor rival rucks are Gawn & McInerney, who Martin has played with them at Melbourne & Brisbane. Plus he’s got 15 years experience and would have great insight on how to tactically deal with all the rucks in the league. With English still developing, Sweet trying to get his career moving and Darcy going to need to add technique to his 205cm, a very well seasoned ruck coach seems like something which would be nice to have now into the longer window. Martin seems like a good candidate. Like Bevo he can give up the other stuff and just focus on the weights.

I'd keep him on a bare bones playing contract if his body isn't completely cooked by year's end. It means we'll have a break in case of emergency option AND a ruck/stoppages coach we don't need to pay out of the soft cap.

The Pie Man
01-07-2021, 07:15 PM
I'd keep him on a bare bones playing contract if his body isn't completely cooked by year's end. It means we'll have a break in case of emergency option AND a ruck/stoppages coach we don't need to pay out of the soft cap.

I can still see him being huge in September for us, it might be his last real crack at one.

Can envision an influential finals series swaying a call on his future

comrade
01-07-2021, 07:23 PM
I can still see him being huge in September for us, it might be his last real crack at one.

Can envision an influential finals series swaying a call on his future

Man, I'm praying you are right.

1eyedog
01-07-2021, 11:41 PM

Isn't Steven King still at the club?

bornadog
01-07-2021, 11:42 PM
Isn't Steven King still at the club?

He is senior assistant, number two to Bevo

1eyedog
01-07-2021, 11:44 PM
He is senior assistant, number two to Bevo

And one of the best ruckman of his time. Perhaps he doesn't have time to be a ruck coach?

G-Mo77
02-07-2021, 09:23 AM
And one of the best ruckman of his time. Perhaps he doesn't have time to be a ruck coach?

Isn't he our stoppages coach?

bornadog
07-07-2021, 03:55 PM
Some teaching

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5qOiAlVEAUCl-3?format=jpg&name=large

Hotdog60
07-07-2021, 06:51 PM
Some teaching

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5qOiAlVEAUCl-3?format=jpg&name=large

If Sweet was getting game time I would have Martin in his ear when he goes to the bench.

Danjul
07-07-2021, 09:54 PM
If Sweet was getting game time I would have Martin in his ear when he goes to the bench.
Excellent idea. I’m sure that would have made a difference in the Melbourne game.

bulldogtragic
08-07-2021, 11:25 AM
AFL.com saying Rory Lobb is gettsble. Has ties to Victoria. $700,000 a year.

He’d be the type of ruck Bevo would like. Lobb & English rucking and playing forward…

1eyedog
08-07-2021, 11:27 AM

He’d be the type of ruck Bevo would like. Lobb & English rucking and playing forward…

Do we still have that no dickhead policy?

Mantis
08-07-2021, 11:29 AM

Pass... like huge pass!

Not sure we would want big $ tied up on 2 ruck/forwards with neither really fulfilling the no.1 ruck spot.

Axe Man
08-07-2021, 11:32 AM

No thanks, especially not for that kind of money.

Only way I would consider it is if his remaining 2 years at $700k became 3 years at around $500k. Wouldn't want to give up too much in a trade either and we have little to bargain with at present.

bulldogtragic
08-07-2021, 11:33 AM
Pass... like huge pass!

Not sure we would want big $ tied up on 2 ruck/forwards with neither really fulfilling the no.1 ruck spot.

It doesn’t change your point, but for clarity his existing contract (coming from GwS) is $700,000. Not necessarily what he’d be asking for now.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-07-2021, 11:37 AM
Pass... like huge pass!

Yeah, not sure Lobb is any better in the ruck than English. We could spend far less $$ and give up a lot less to get something closer to what we need.

bulldogtragic
No thanks, especially not for that kind of money.

Only way I would consider it is if his remaining 2 years at $700k became 3 years at around $500k. Wouldn't want to give up too much in a trade either and we have little to bargain with at present.

I agree if he wants that money, it’s a no. Restructuring the money makes it at least interesting. If we are prepared to go into deficit, as I’m currently arguing, it opens up Pick 18 this year for trade. I’m thinking more what sort of ruck does BEVO want.

Mofra
As I mentioned on the Collingwood thread, one of Cameron or Lynch may be gettable.
25 years old and 22 years old. Treloar can make the first phone call.

Happy Days
08-07-2021, 11:40 AM
Lynch has looked good. Cameron has no exposed form as a main ruck and I think on the available evidence is pretty uninspiring.

Meek is still my preference.

soupman
08-07-2021, 11:43 AM
Lobb barely even plays second ruck at Freo, and has publicly stated he doesn't want to play that position. Whenever I watch their games I reckon Acres goes up for more ruck contests than Lobb. Easy pass.

I don't know a heap about them but Meek and Lynch sound ok. I am a big fan of Ladhams as well but he seems less attainable.

Happy Days
08-07-2021, 11:47 AM
Lobb barely even plays second ruck at Freo, and has publicly stated he doesn't want to play that position. Whenever I watch their games I reckon Acres goes up for more ruck contests than Lobb. Easy pass.

I don't know a heap about them but Meek and Lynch sound ok. I am a big fan of Ladhams as well but he seems less attainable.

Port aren’t playing him for whatever reason. I really like him too but wonder if he is up to a full time first ruck role.

Mofra
08-07-2021, 11:58 AM

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/department-of-trade/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-max-lynch-hawthorn-collingwood-contract-rory-lobb-fremantle/news-story/7cf320dfef5948acaa2e3f285554a21c

It says here Freo traded him in to be a forward. Also says Hawks "and other clubs" have talked to Max Lynch - I would be surprised if we're not one of them.

Axe Man
08-07-2021, 12:05 PM
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/department-of-trade/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-max-lynch-hawthorn-collingwood-contract-rory-lobb-fremantle/news-story/7cf320dfef5948acaa2e3f285554a21c

It says here Freo traded him in to be a forward. Also says Hawks "and other clubs" have talked to Max Lynch - I would be surprised if we're not one of them.

Not sure why Hawthorn would be interested in Lynch (and Lynch with the Hawks) with McEvoy and Ceglar playing and the giant Ned Reeves waiting in the wings.

Mofra
08-07-2021, 02:50 PM
Not sure why Hawthorn would be interested in Lynch (and Lynch with the Hawks) with McEvoy and Ceglar playing and the giant Ned Reeves waiting in the wings.
McEvoy is 31 and it seems it was planned he'd play CHB anyway.
Ceglar is 30 and is just ok. Reeves is a stick, Lynch would play seniors tomorrow for a bunch of clubs if available.

Axe Man
08-07-2021, 02:56 PM
McEvoy is 31 and it seems it was planned he'd play CHB anyway.
Ceglar is 30 and is just ok. Reeves is a stick, Lynch would play seniors tomorrow for a bunch of clubs if available.

Didn't realise Ceglar was that old. McEvoy has been playing ruck though and Reeves was playing but hurt his ankle and Ceglar came back in and performed well.

Just as a comparison to us, assuming Martin didn't go on, he likely only has to beat Sweet out for a game. At the Hawks he is one of 4 viable options.

comrade
10-07-2021, 06:25 PM
I'd definitely see if McEvoy could be enticed over. His numbers are rock solid this year in the ruck and around the ground and is very durable.

1eyedog
10-07-2021, 06:44 PM
I'd definitely see if McEvoy could be enticed over. His numbers are rock solid this year in the ruck and around the ground and is very durable.

Rumour is we've tried in the past. Things may have changed but he's contracted in 2022 and a club captain. You'd think he'll see out his career there.

comrade
10-07-2021, 06:47 PM
Rumour is we've tried in the past. Things may have changed but he's contracted in 2022 and a club captain. You'd think he'll see out his career there.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are same changes to the on field leadership for next season. I hope Sammy P is still having a crack.

1eyedog
10-07-2021, 06:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there are same changes to the on field leadership for next season. I hope Sammy P is still having a crack.

He's certainly got a skill set we could utilise.

comrade
11-07-2021, 01:33 PM
Getting more critical by the week.

azabob
11-07-2021, 02:09 PM
Getting more critical by the week.

So reality it is status quo since 2018/19/20.

comrade
11-07-2021, 02:10 PM
So reality it is status quo since 2018/19/20.

Yep, our lack of attention to the issue may come back to bite us.

Happy Days
14-07-2021, 11:32 AM
Apparently there’s talk of Peter Ladhams moving clubs based on Victorian interest. He would actually be perfect.

comrade
14-07-2021, 11:40 AM
Apparently there’s talk of Peter Ladhams moving clubs based on Victorian interest. He would actually be perfect.

We should definitely be on the phone to his manager. Basically anyone over 200cm that has shown any ability to win the ruck contest at AFL level that is even potentially available, should be on our radar.

GVGjr
14-07-2021, 11:48 AM

As comrade indicated he would be a perfect addition as he's very close to being a Tim English clone being a genuine threat up forward and being a more than capable ruckman.
Getting him too us would be an interesting challenge though.

Happy Days
14-07-2021, 11:56 AM
What would it take? They won’t play him but he’s contracted. You’d have to expect that they’d want a first which might be a little too rich for my blood.

comrade
14-07-2021, 12:03 PM
What would it take? They won’t play him but he’s contracted. You’d have to expect that they’d want a first which might be a little too rich for my blood.

Just pay the price it takes. I'd happily give up our future first in some sort of deal for a mature, 80% game time ruckman. Whether that is Ladhams, I don't know but we need to sort that position out.

Grantysghost
14-07-2021, 12:16 PM

Do they need a life long Dogs fan who can't quite crack an elite midfield?

Mofra
14-07-2021, 12:16 PM
Just pay the price it takes. I'd happily give up our future first in some sort of deal for a mature, 80% game time ruckman. Whether that is Ladhams, I don't know but we need to sort that position out.
I would too. Future first, with 2021 picks for points coming back to us.
He's 23, as plug and play as you can get and would be an 8-10 year player. Solves a massive issue and unlike Sweet or Martin can rest forward if needed.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2021, 12:31 PM
I would too. Future first, with 2021 picks for points coming back to us.
He's 23, as plug and play as you can get and would be an 8-10 year player. Solves a massive issue and unlike Sweet or Martin can rest forward if needed.

I just finished looking at Port’s draft hand and it’s a little complicated. They have at the moment very few picks with points outside of their first rounder, and they have Jase Burgoyne as their own father/son which they’ll need those late points plus more to secure. They’d need to trade out another player probably for Burgoyne. Then another to send us some points back. Which is possible, but complicated.

I’m more than happy to go into deficit on Sam Darcy, which means we could put up our first rounder this year (assuming we’ve got 700 Draft Points from trades/compo), and look at a future pick or future pick swap back to strengthen our draft hand next year after the first is lost.

This is something we need to do as a priority. If Martin retires, Ladhams has an offer to be first ruck at a premiership contender for many years to come. You’d think that’s a great carrot.

DOG GOD
14-07-2021, 12:39 PM
And he’ll probably end up at St.Kilda, Carlton, Richmond or Geelong ;)

soupman
14-07-2021, 02:25 PM
I’m more than happy to go into deficit on Sam Darcy, which means we could put up our first rounder this year (assuming we’ve got 700 Draft Points from trades/compo), and look at a future pick or future pick swap back to strengthen our draft hand next year after the first is lost.

What happens if we go into deficit to take Darcy (which I think takes point off our first rounder next year pushing it back in the order, but we have already traded out that first rounder? Does the deficit go to our next pick, or carry over into 2022, or what?

bulldogtragic
14-07-2021, 02:32 PM
What happens if we go into deficit to take Darcy (which I think takes point off our first rounder next year pushing it back in the order, but we have already traded out that first rounder? Does the deficit go to our next pick, or carry over into 2022, or what?

The maximum deficit allowed is 1,723 DPs. If you trade out the future first the maximum deficit is reduced to only 738 DPS.

If Darcy went at Pick 1 - 2,400 DPS - we’d need to have 1,662 DPs this year at a minimum. Without that and reduced allowable deficit then the afel would not approve the bid to be matched. You can’t roll deficits over years.

As per my second essay, I think trading this years first for a player and finding 700+ DPs in trades and taking nearly the maximum deficit is they way to go. It’s like AfterPay, get Darcy & The Traded Player now and have it paid back in 12 months.

1eyedog
15-07-2021, 11:07 AM
Is Lewy Young really 201cm? He seems to have grown again form previously listed 197cm. That is true ruckman size. I like what I've seen of his ruck craft in the VFL and he clearly won taps against Hickey on the weekend. I think it can be developed.

Do we actually already have a viable ruckman on the list?

bornadog
15-07-2021, 11:10 AM
Is Lewy Young really 201cm? He seems to have grown again form previously listed 197cm. That is true ruckman size. I like what I've seen of his ruck craft in the VFL and he clearly won taps against Hickey on the weekend. I think it can be developed.

and yes he is still only 22 years old (December will be 23)

Mofra
15-07-2021, 11:14 AM

I thought he moved ahead of Jordan Sweet on that performance. I know he's played forward/ruck roles at VFL level in the past.
This might actually be his best chance of playing more senior games with us

Axe Man
15-07-2021, 11:23 AM

There was a report to that effect earlier in the year but he just doesn't look that tall next to other players to me. But who knows really - player heights are one of the great mysteries of our time like the JFK assassination and just where Easty will turn up next on his tour of the Western suburbs.

1eyedog
15-07-2021, 11:27 AM
Listed as 201cm on the club website which is probably the best source but I agree he looks under 200cm in the 2021 team photo standing next to Martin and actually looks really small next to English and Sweet. Looks a bit taller than Bruce and Gardner and about as tall as Schache.

Dry Rot
19-07-2021, 03:39 PM
Well connected BF guy claims that Martin now unlikely to return this season.

If true, do we start to play Sweet now?

azabob
19-07-2021, 03:50 PM

Only way we see Sweet again is if English doesn't play.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-07-2021, 03:56 PM

If true, it's been a pretty horrendous recruit in the end.

We need a #1 ruck for next year more than anything else.

comrade
19-07-2021, 03:58 PM
If true, it's been a pretty horrendous recruit in the end.

We need a #1 ruck for next year more than anything else.

I wouldn't say horrendous as the cost was minimal but recruiting a 34 year old ruck coming off an injury plagued year was asking for trouble. Imagine if we'd targeted Hickey instead, who cost Sydney peanuts (some pick swaps) and would be perfect for us.

Could have been a premiership winning decision.

bornadog
19-07-2021, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't say horrendous as the cost was minimal but recruiting a 34 year old ruck coming off an injury plagued year was asking for trouble. Imagine if we'd targeted Hickey instead, who cost Sydney peanuts (some pick swaps) and would be perfect for us.

Don't forget the mentoring and ruck coaching he has brought to the club. Can't be underestimated.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-07-2021, 04:05 PM

Could have been a premiership winning decision.

Yeah I should have clarified.

Horrendous in that it COULD cost us a Premiership THIS year. That's how important it is IMO. A few of us did mention at the time Martin was a risk given his age and so it's come to pass.

Hickey would have been great.

Mofra
19-07-2021, 04:56 PM

TBH I'd play Young ahead of Sweet, and I have serious doubts about Young.
Ladhams/Max Lynch next year please.

Naughton, Marra and English as a three-pronged forwardline next year. Bruce works his arse off if he wants to play as well.

bulldogtragic
19-07-2021, 05:15 PM
The club is so very unlucky. No one could’ve predicted we needed a mature, fit and match ready ruckman.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-07-2021, 05:16 PM

Naughton, Marra and English as a three-pronged forwardline next year. Bruce works his arse off if he wants to play as well.

I've liked Bruce but you're right, it's only getting harder for him from here on out. An attack of Naughton/English/Marra looks better.

He needs a good finals series - last few weeks haven't been good enough.

1eyedog
20-07-2021, 02:07 AM

What have Ladhams or Lynch done in their limited game time to make you think they're better options? Honest question.

soupman
20-07-2021, 02:16 AM
What have Ladhams or Lynch done in their limited game time to make you think they're better options? Honest question.

Ladhams is very different to Sweet. Covers the ground really well, good hands in close, decent mark, fairly quick. I think he would make a good combo with English. Can play forward, and plays a bit like an extra mid. Maybe not as powerful a ruckman as other options though, but could work well in almost a 6040 split with English imo.

Happy Days
20-07-2021, 10:52 AM
Yeah agree with the above. Ladhams seems like a bit of a goon but is really talented and huge upside to his game. Even if he stays at this level he'd still be a great asset but he has it in him to be really, really good.

Also is a perfect pair for English and doesn't need to be "hidden" forward when not in the ruck (in the sense that he can meaningfully contribute up there).

Axe Man
21-07-2021, 04:24 PM
I don't know much about Briggs but another potential cheapish ruck option? 21 years old, 200cm and 107kg.

Brisbane is not prepared to hand over one of its two first-round picks for a ruck-forward but is considering rival players including Greater Western Sydney ruckman Kieren Briggs.

The Lions are short for talls after the loss of Eric Hipwood (ACL), who won’t be back until deep into 2022.

Brisbane is determined to take picks currently at 14 and 18 instead of handing them over for established talent.

But Briggs, out of contract, will start next year third in the pecking order at GWS behind Matthew Flynn and Braydon Preuss.

He is one of the rucks clubs are considering after three solid games this season.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/moneyball-follow-all-the-latest-trade-contract-and-draft-news-across-the-afl/news-story/8397bd64736f64abd49486e491a70227)

Happy Days
21-07-2021, 07:09 PM
Briggs can’t get a game ahead of a guy who runs like he doesn’t have any achillies. I would be opposed.

Mofra
21-07-2021, 09:32 PM
Lynch is AFL standard and would be playing seniors at a lot of clubs right now, more of a 'first ruck' role than a second role.
Ladhams is better right now.

Ghost Dog
22-07-2021, 03:05 AM
Player of the week for Collingwood May 2021 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHcVXxesLkM)

Never should have gotten rid of him. Mobile and playing well. Would have him back in a heartbeat.

Mantis
22-07-2021, 08:46 AM
Player of the week for Collingwood May 2021 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHcVXxesLkM)

Never should have gotten rid of him. Mobile and playing well. Would have him back in a heartbeat.

How does this relate to our want for a ruckman?

westbulldog
22-07-2021, 10:13 AM

Who are you referring to ?

Ghost Dog
22-07-2021, 11:29 AM
How does this relate to our want for a ruckman?

That want was created by letting Roughy go. He could be playing good footy for us and a back up to Tim English.

He's playing really good footy. Watch the video in the link I posted.
Watch his work in 2016. Now we are searching for a ruckman. Sorry, it seems kind of silly.

Water under the bridge sorry for polluting your thread, but it's galling. Traded in the last 30 minutes, seems like a knee-jerk thing that has continually cost us.

Rant over, back to your search. Speaking of Collingwood, Mason Cox if Collingwood don't want him. ?

jeemak
22-07-2021, 12:53 PM
He wasn't getting ruck minutes for us, wasn't really playing full back and previous coaches were derided for playing him there.

Well done to him and Collingwood for making full back a viable spot for him.

dog town
22-07-2021, 03:31 PM
The biggest thing with Roughy in his last year or two was inability to see our games. He just seemed to be limping to the bench every game. Had to have had an impact on our willingness to pick him and trust him with big roles at the time.

Mantis
22-07-2021, 04:00 PM
The biggest thing with Roughy in his last year or two was inability to see our games. He just seemed to be limping to the bench every game. Had to have had an impact on our willingness to pick him and trust him with big roles at the time.

Yep... his lack of durability when playing in the ruck was a concern, but in the role he has now seems to have less high impact contests and he is serving Collingwood well.

Ghost Dog
22-07-2021, 04:09 PM

Seems to be going ok now. Maybe had some body issues.

The Pie Man
22-07-2021, 04:11 PM
Yep... his lack of durability when playing in the ruck was a concern, but in the role he has now seems to have less high impact contests and he is serving Collingwood well.

Bevo seems to insist on our defenders having speed (the Cordy shuffle a clear exception)

Hypothetical - say there’s no history b/w the two, Roughy is 26 in current form, and Bevo had a chance to sign him….I still don’t reckon he wants him

bornadog
22-07-2021, 04:21 PM
Bevo seems to insist on our defenders having speed (the Cordy shuffle a clear exception)

Hypothetical - say there’s no history b/w the two, Roughy is 26 in current form, and Bevo had a chance to sign him….I still don’t reckon he wants him

Rougheads ruck work was disguised a bit due to the third man up. I think this was also picked out by coaches Macca and Bevo.

Ghost Dog
22-07-2021, 04:24 PM
Given Bevo's track record of brilliant positional changes, and Roughy being a fantastic club-man, it seems a pity something couldn't have been made of his contract. Don't like to see him the black and white I guess, playing well and good luck to him.

Anyway, what's the view of Cox? Too old?

1eyedog
22-07-2021, 05:31 PM
Given Bevo's track record of brilliant positional changes, and Roughy being a fantastic club-man, it seems a pity something couldn't have been made of his contract. Don't like to see him the black and white I guess, playing well and good luck to him.

Too shit.

Mofra
22-07-2021, 05:35 PM

As a last resort back-up option, on low salary, perhaps.
There are many others I'd prefer though

Ghost Dog
22-07-2021, 06:06 PM
Mason Cox's highlights 2020. Link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBC55GiYbCY)
Is he really that bad?
Some funny stuff-ups and kicking action is a bit odd, but also a very hard match-up and does some good things.

Around the ground, would be great seeing Caleb light him up.
And he didn't grow up playing footy so maybe still has a lot of improvement?
Might get him for an absolute bargain. It's not like he can go back to America that easily.

Not going to be easy to get a good one.

SquirrelGrip
22-07-2021, 06:59 PM
Is he really that bad?
Some funny stuff-ups and kicking action is a bit odd, but also a very hard match-up and does some good things.

Might get him for an absolute bargain. It's not like he can go back to America that easily.

I’d grab him for marketing alone. Become the US team, have a 4th July game, our colours work well, add some stars to sell a special guernsey. Of course it would all be at Footscray as I can’t imagine him playing much AFL, but he seems a decent enough fella to have around.

1eyedog
22-07-2021, 07:41 PM
Yeah nah.

Collingwood don't have a half decent tall forward and he still can't get a game. He just does absolutely nothing too often.

Gone are the days washed up talls finish their careers at the Bulldogs. Sorry Sockeye.

Ghost Dog
22-07-2021, 09:01 PM
Yeah nah.

Collingwood don't have a half decent tall forward and he still can't get a game. He just does absolutely nothing too often.

Gone are the days washed up talls finish their careers at the Bulldogs. Sorry Sockeye.

Well he's more of a utility player, time in the ruck and time forward. But point taken.

1eyedog
22-07-2021, 09:15 PM
Well he's more of a utility player, time in the ruck and time forward. But point taken.

I just think we should get a ruckman.

jeemak
22-07-2021, 09:16 PM
Yeah nah.

I'd take an inanimate carbon rod over Cox.

EasternWest
22-07-2021, 09:22 PM
I'd take an inanimate carbon rod over Cox.

In rod we trust.

jeemak
22-07-2021, 09:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wavTKo1gH8

Happy Days
22-07-2021, 09:29 PM
Guys I thought we covered this last year, we aren't going to pick up Ben Brown.

EasternWest
22-07-2021, 09:53 PM
Guys I thought we covered this last year, we aren't going to pick up Ben Brown.

I kind of want to just to see you melt down.

bulldogtragic
24-07-2021, 09:15 AM
Is he really that bad?

Mason Cox vs Port Adelaide
A bit over 3 Quarters, coming on as sub

Goals 1
Behinds 1
Kicks 2
Handballs 3
Marks 1
Goal Assists 0
I50’s 0
Tackles 0
Hit Outs 0
Pressure Acts 1
Metres Gained 26m
Salary $550,000

Mitcha
24-07-2021, 10:13 AM

Goals 1
Behinds 1
Kicks 2
Handballs 3
Marks 1
Goal Assists 0
I50’s 0
Tackles 0
Hit Outs 0
Pressure Acts 1
Metres Gained 26m
Salary $550,000
Would rather pick up the Statue of Liberty if I had the choice.
Like pretty much everything American, overhyped.

Vred
24-07-2021, 11:57 AM
Ladhams might be a target, at least, that's who I'd be going after.

macca
25-07-2021, 12:15 AM

Goals 1
Behinds 1
Kicks 2
Handballs 3
Marks 1
Goal Assists 0
I50’s 0
Tackles 0
Hit Outs 0
Pressure Acts 1
Metres Gained 26m
Salary $550,000

His type of player that is hurting their salary cap. They traded out Treloar, Stephenson and Langdon and kept him ? Crazy....

soupman
25-07-2021, 12:24 AM
His type of player that is hurting their salary cap. They traded out Treloar, Stephenson and Langdon and kept him ? Crazy....

Much easier to trade out guys on high salaries if others actually want them. Who would want to put Mason Cox on their list and help out Collingwood in the process? You'd have to give up a draft pick as well to make it worthwhile.

bornadog
25-07-2021, 01:17 PM
Much easier to trade out guys on high salaries if others actually want them. Who would want to put Mason Cox on their list and help out Collingwood in the process? You'd have to give up a draft pick as well to make it worthwhile.

Cox finishes his contract this year. Should have been last year but he had a trigger to go another year

Happy Days
25-07-2021, 02:38 PM
Meek playing for Freo today, looks really good so far. Really hope we have him in mind.

The Pie Man
25-07-2021, 10:39 PM
Are we getting more comfortable with Big Chilli as the number 1?

Good game last night - yes, he lost the HO count badly and conceded some clean possession to Gawn out of the centre, but I noticed Tim started to not jump at centre bounce late in the game which was far more effective than just bouncing off him on the way down. Crucial moments in the game

We also won clearances

1eyedog
25-07-2021, 11:10 PM
Should call him the big cheese rather than big chilli. He's slowly maturing with age. Long way to go.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-07-2021, 11:41 AM
English was good, he is a GOOD player, but his ruck craft is below average. I sure as hell don't want to go into a final v Gawn with only English if we can help it, especially with Gawn's ability to grab it / spike it forward. Finals is as much about territory as anything and that's a big advantage for them.

English is getting better, but I still don't think he'll ever be a true #1 ruck.

dog town
26-07-2021, 11:59 AM
English was good, he is a GOOD player, but his ruck craft is below average. I sure as hell don't want to go into a final v Gawn with only English if we can help it, especially with Gawn's ability to grab it / spike it forward. Finals is as much about territory as anything and that's a big advantage for them.

English is getting better, but I still don't think he'll ever be a true #1 ruck. I agree, I’m generally not concerned by conceding taps but I don’t think we want to be that reactive in a final. Unfortunately the only solution is dependent on Martin and his body.

Having said all that we may not come up against Gawn again.

bulldogtragic
26-07-2021, 01:02 PM

English is getting better, but I still don't think he'll ever be a true #1 ruck.

He could easily be THE best second ruck/forward and floating defence in the comp. I have no doubt he can be the best in the role. So if we find a good no 1 ruckman who is really versatile enough too who can match or beat Timmys output, then our best 23 gets even better. It’s such an opportunity for us to improve our best 22 yet again. Some like Ladhams can match what Tim does or better, but is a forward threat too. It’s the overall improvement to the team and one which I hope is the top priority. It could be a as game changer trade if we can get a good one.

The Pie Man
26-07-2021, 02:02 PM

His change (not jumping) in approach late in the game was very important to us winning possession out of the middle, very small sample size but I felt he might’ve turned a corner centre bounce wise against stronger opponents. He’ll still be able to leap against guys like Stanley. Is he figuring it out?

He’s always been decent around the ground, but he’s been very good lately.

The Doctor
26-07-2021, 02:58 PM
We should use Cody Weightman against Gawn!

Mofra
27-07-2021, 11:59 AM
I still think English will be vying with Luke Jackson as the best forward/ruck in the comp if we had the personnel to play him there.
If we did pick up someone like CCJ from Richmond it would be closer to a 50/50 split for both players. Richmond fans think he's on the table due to opportunity.

One more note about Max Lynch from Collingwood - he in their top 5 for the time trial every year which is incredible for a ruck.

Bulldog Joe
27-07-2021, 12:28 PM
I still think English will be vying with Luke Jackson as the best forward/ruck in the comp if we had the personnel to play him there.
If we did pick up someone like CCJ from Richmond it would be closer to a 50/50 split for both players. Richmond fans think he's on the table due to opportunity.

One more note about Max Lynch from Collingwood - he in their top 5 for the time trial every year which is incredible for a ruck.

While there is plenty to like about English as a forward, we also need to consider the overall list.

As the season has progressed I feel English has improved his ruck output, although he is unlikely to become hitout dominant, he does give some really good advantage taps from time to time.

The other issue is fitting everyone else in.

Currently we have Naughton, JUH and Bruce as tall forwards and we expect to fit Sam Darcy into the side somewhere through the next 2 to 3 seasons. This surely limits the spots to play English as a regular forward.

The next 2 months might see a more definitive position develop as we assess Josh Schache as a defensive player covering opposition talls/ruck forwards.

Mofra
28-07-2021, 12:21 PM
While there is plenty to like about English as a forward, we also need to consider the overall list.

As the season has progressed I feel English has improved his ruck output, although he is unlikely to become hitout dominant, he does give some really good advantage taps from time to time.

The other issue is fitting everyone else in.

Currently we have Naughton, JUH and Bruce as tall forwards and we expect to fit Sam Darcy into the side somewhere through the next 2 to 3 seasons. This surely limits the spots to play English as a regular forward.

The next 2 months might see a more definitive position develop as we assess Josh Schache as a defensive player covering opposition talls/ruck forwards.
JUH and Naughton are seriously quick so there's no issue having them forward with other talls.
Darcy may not even debut by the time Josh Bruce's contract is up and may not even play forward (plays CHB at Oakleigh).

We're replacing a McNeill/Scott with JUH (after another pre-season) in our early-year set-up if we keep English (or another ruck) forward. I think it could work.

Mofra
30-07-2021, 01:36 PM
If we wanted, I dare say McEvoy would be gettable.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2021-alastair-clarkson-sacked-quits-hawthorn-handover-to-sam-mitchell-jeff-kennett-tom-morris/news-story/6c3555cb45354c6ed16649706d19d257

Clarkson supporter. Will be 32 next year in a rebuilding rabble.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-07-2021, 01:40 PM

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2021-alastair-clarkson-sacked-quits-hawthorn-handover-to-sam-mitchell-jeff-kennett-tom-morris/news-story/6c3555cb45354c6ed16649706d19d257

What would he cost?

I'd be keen at a low cost.

bulldogtragic
30-07-2021, 01:54 PM
What would he cost?

I'd be keen at a low cost.

In the Clarko thread I mentioned a Future 4th for McEvoy & Pick 66 (tied to Richmond).

If he’s willing to walk out, a trade like this gives them some cover ie “we were going to pass on 66, so now we’ve got an extra pick next year, to strengthen our draft and rebuilding program while facilitating this trade”….

He’s under contract next year. What is he prepared to threaten to do? If it’s a lot, then his value is low. We went after him recently so he knows we like him. I think it’s down to what could happen if they don’t do the trade.

SquirrelGrip
30-07-2021, 04:18 PM

How close is Bevo to Big Ben?

comrade
30-07-2021, 04:23 PM

Probably a foot, maybe a bit more.

bulldogtragic
30-07-2021, 04:27 PM
In the Clarko thread I mentioned a Future 4th for McEvoy & Pick 66 (tied to Richmond).

If he’s willing to walk out, a trade like this gives them some cover ie “we were going to pass on 66, so now we’ve got an extra pick next year, to strengthen our draft and rebuilding program while facilitating this trade”….

He’s under contract next year. What is he prepared to threaten to do? If it’s a lot, then his value is low. We went after him recently so he knows we like him. I think it’s down to what could happen if they don’t do the trade.

The other thing to think of is their lack of KPD’s. If Hawthorn are one of the Melbourne based clubs into Young:

In: McEvoy, Pick 66
Out: Young, Pick 90+ (If they wanted it)

Both clubs could mount a case of doing better.

Dogs: Two, maybe three years of Big Boy and 80 more Draft Points. For a player our MC clearly isn’t sold on.
Hawks: Mature, flexible KPD with a decade left in him. For an unhappy player and a pick/swap that doesn’t mean anything to them.

bulldogtragic
30-07-2021, 04:30 PM

They know each other, Bevo’s last year there was Big Boys First at Hawthorn after the trade. He obviously knows Duryea well too. He’s familiar with Ameet Bains, he traded him to Hawthorn as requested.

EasternWest
30-07-2021, 04:32 PM
Probably a foot, maybe a bit more.

Very good I'll pay that.

bulldogtragic
07-08-2021, 11:38 AM
So the background:

Martin will have played 30% of the H&A season. He needs to retire or face being pushed.
The new rookie rules allow us to hold onto Sweet as a rookie for a fourth year. That’s a handy outcome, so he stays.
Sam Darcy won’t be rucking anytime soon.

So we need to replace Martin.

Option 1:

Will Bevo prefer English as #1 and use Schache/Bruce to support. If Schache mans up against the opposition #2 ruck up forward then he can run with them into the ruck. Against Melbourne he took 18 ruck contests and won 7, virtually a nil-all draw. That gives Bevo the most flexibility to only select one pure ruck. Cost: Nothing

Option 2:

Look to trade around the fringes at younger rucks Lynch, Meek etc. Hope they come on. Cost: Low-ish

Option 3:

Look for a genuine #1 ruckman, allowing English to go forward, or intercept mark in defence. Age not as relevant, so someone like a Ben McAvoy for 2-3 years taking the hard yards against the bigger, harder, more physical rucks. Cost low-medium (age, skill dependent)

Option 4:

Get a mature ruck, of any quality, just to get one for an insurance policy between Tim & Sweet. Such as Vardy. Cost: Low

Option 5:

Change things up, get someone similar to English, such as Ladhams, Chol etc. Neither are hulking rucks, but are younger and have good mobility and when either is forward and are both genuine goal kicking threats. So no huge hulking #1 to take the punishment from bigger, physical rucks, but with Tim there’s two very good rucks who can do what the need to do in ruck contests and have hurt factor around the ground. Cost: Higher

Option 6:

Look at any Delisted Free Agents, SSP former AFL rucks or draft State League Players. Cost: Nothing

bulldogtragic
07-08-2021, 11:13 PM
Watching Ladhams tonight, I hope we are one of the multiple Vic clubs asking because they think he’s gettable. So versatile, hard at it and more improvement in him.

Vred
08-08-2021, 11:18 PM
I’ll be sitting outside Whitten Oval holding a big sign saying “recruit mature ruck” during our trade period over the off season.

English ain’t it.

Happy Days
08-08-2021, 11:25 PM
English is so close. He got badly beaten in the ruck but destroyed Draper (who is bad, don't let the coming week of media fellatio convince you otherwise) around the ground and looked particularly dangerous up front when he could drag Draper down there.

He's going to be a jet once we put him in a position to succeed, which means more of the second part and less of the first. Sweet blows and is actually a worse ruckman than English, but if he lets us get the most out of English possible then maybe playing him is worth it?

I don't know. We need Martin back so bad.

Vred
08-08-2021, 11:56 PM
English is so close. He got badly beaten in the ruck but destroyed Draper (who is bad, don't let the coming week of media fellatio convince you otherwise) around the ground and looked particularly dangerous up front when he could drag Draper down there.

He's going to be a jet once we put him in a position to succeed, which means more of the second part and less of the first. Sweet blows and is actually a worse ruckman than English, but if he lets us get the most out of English possible then maybe playing him is worth it?

I don't know. We need Martin back so bad.

Play English as a floating KPD/KPF and even winger, but never, ever, EVER as a number 1 ruck.

Sweet was tracking alright before Max Gawn got to him, I'll say that much, but I'd prefer us playing Young as ruck before anyone else right now, his shown more in there this year then anyone but Martin.

English just got completely toweled up by a kid in his 18th game. Not Max Gawn. Not Grundy or NicNat, a kid who's barely played AFL.

Mofra
09-08-2021, 09:42 AM
With Bruce going down, I think a no 1 ruck is even more important now.
Behind Luke Jackson, English is the best forward/ruck in the competition. Naughton and JUH are going get a pre-season together and the three of those guys will be our tall forward targets next year.

I know he's not the sexiest name going around, but I really want Max Lynch. He's no monster (200cm and 99kgs) but his running capacity for a ruckman is extraordinary and he'd fit in our system really well and at 22 years old is an 8-10 year prospect.
More importantly he's gettable as he's stuck behind Grundy & Cameron at Collingwood.

GVGjr
09-08-2021, 10:29 AM
Behind Luke Jackson, English is the best forward/ruck in the competition. Naughton and JUH are going get a pre-season together and the three of those guys will be our tall forward targets next year.

I know he's not the sexiest name going around, but I really want Max Lynch. He's no monster (200cm and 99kgs) but his running capacity for a ruckman is extraordinary and he'd fit in our system really well and at 22 years old is an 8-10 year prospect.
More importantly he's gettable as he's stuck behind Grundy & Cameron at Collingwood.

Good call out Mofra, mobility in a ruck man is what I think Bevo is after.
Lynch would be worth a close look at.

bornadog
09-08-2021, 10:44 AM
Good call out Mofra, mobility in a ruck man is what I think Bevo is after.
Lynch would be worth a close look at.

Not just Bevo, no one wants an old fashion lumbering ruck anymore

Mofra
09-08-2021, 10:52 AM
Leon Cameron does. It's odd-on that Briggs becomes their no 1 ruck next year with Pruess the second option. Both are Mumford clones - big, slow, brutish.

We do need a mobile ruck though. A lot has been said of Ladhams but he may not leave and with Dixon in his last year next year he might be convinced to stay. There are rumours of his off-field issues as well which may put us off.

GVGjr
09-08-2021, 02:08 PM

Have a look at a lot of the ruck man in the competition. There are a few of the slower types still performing well.

Mobile and versatile would be a Bevo. and a few other coaches, trait.

azabob
09-08-2021, 10:40 PM

Is Lynch more physical than English? I really think we need a yang to English ying not a like for like.

bornadog
11-08-2021, 01:40 PM
The nominations for best AFL under 22 is struggling to find rucks.

Clubs just don't want to invest in young ruckman.

Axe Man
11-08-2021, 03:58 PM
The nominations for best AFL under 22 is struggling to find rucks.

You need to have played 12 games this year to qualify for the squad and not many rucks are ready at that age to be playing full(ish) seasons.

bornadog
11-08-2021, 04:02 PM
You need to have played 12 games this year to qualify for the squad and not many rucks are ready at that age to be playing full(ish) seasons.

18 teams and the choice is very limited

Mofra
11-08-2021, 04:57 PM
Is Lynch more physical than English? I really think we need a yang to English ying not a like for like.
Without wanting to sound harsh, I think most ruckmen are.
English is a midfielder who became a ruck due to his growth spurt, who just happens to have developed very quickly in a forward role.
Lynch is a ruck who just happens to have a weapon (tank) that we can seek to build on and exploit.

soupman
11-08-2021, 05:21 PM

I think it's just the role where it's most important to have a mature body. Most kids tall enough to play ruck (200cm+) are beanpoles at 18 and take 4 years to fill out, and clubs are typically not expecting much from them till then anyway. The 200cm kids that are talented enough to get games despite not being big yet are typically the ones that are really good in a different spot than ruck.

Mofra
11-08-2021, 05:32 PM
I think it's just the role where it's most important to have a mature body. Most kids tall enough to play ruck (200cm+) are beanpoles at 18 and take 4 years to fill out, and clubs are typically not expecting much from them till then anyway. The 200cm kids that are talented enough to get games despite not being big yet are typically the ones that are really good in a different spot than ruck.
Add to that a lot of very good rucks were taken as late picks or rookies - Dean Cox and Aaron Sandilands come to mind.
Rowan Marshall was also a rookie.
Plus good ones can often be found mature and ready to go for later picks e.g. Nankervis for a third rounder, Witts at GCS.

macca
11-08-2021, 11:21 PM
Add to that a lot of very good rucks were taken as late picks or rookies - Dean Cox and Aaron Sandilands come to mind.
Rowan Marshall was also a rookie.
Plus good ones can often be found mature and ready to go for later picks e.g. Nankervis for a third rounder, Witts at GCS.

Good call Mofra. Witts leaving the pies was a coup for GCS. He was behind Grundy and I recall they did not have a ruck coach at the time.

Anyone in rucks the local leagues that would be an interest at 21-22 years of age ?

Mofra
12-08-2021, 08:33 AM
Good call Mofra. Witts leaving the pies was a coup for GCS. He was behind Grundy and I recall they did not have a ruck coach at the time.

Anyone in rucks the local leagues that would be an interest at 21-22 years of age ?
TBH I think Lynch is just about the best performed ruck at VFL level this year that is gettable and that would suit us.
Meek may come cheap and is bigger than Lynch but I'm not sure he's our type.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 03:56 PM
Bevo said pregame at worst halving the ruck contests is what we have to do.

Then for the love of Christ go recruit one of reasonable age and sound body.

Threedogs
14-08-2021, 05:16 PM
Jesse Glass McCasker Footscray VFL (198cm 98kg) has only had the opportunity to play primary ruck in two matches, when Sweet was in our AFL side. Comparing his stats with Max Lynch when playing against the same teams JGM is superior esp in clearances and tackling.

Against GC Suns
Glass McCasker Goal 1 Disp 14 HO 38 Clearances 5 Marks 4 Tackles 5
Max Lynch Goal 0 Disp 12 HO 29 Clearances 3 Marks 5 Tackles 2

Frankston
Glass McCasker Goal 1 Disp 17 HO33 Clearances 9 Marks 2 Tackles 5
Max Lynch Goal 1 Disp 19 HO36 Clearances 5 Marks 3 Tackles 3

bulldogsthru&thru
14-08-2021, 05:21 PM
Seriously English shits me no end. I’d be more than happy to trade him. I CANNOT stand his weak efforts in every single contest. Ceglar just gave him the smallest shove and he goes flying. Gives us zero hitouts. Can’t take a mark around the ground. Just SOFT.

josie
14-08-2021, 05:23 PM
English has always and still is lacking intensity at rucks and with follow up. Out-bodied, sometimes bordering on timid. Fear we are going to head into next year with yet again same glaring weakness.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 05:28 PM
They always link WCE to English being a WA boy. They need someone to help with NN & JK getting on/retiring. If they want to talk Barass or McGovern or other player of need. I’m now in a listening mood on nearly everyone bar a handful.

Vred
15-08-2021, 02:00 PM
Looking at the stats of Sweet vs Martin, can someone logically tell me why we aren't persisting with someone on the list who's about to hit that age where rucks start to hit their straps? Yes, toweled up against Melbourne in ONE game, it was what, his 4th or 5th AFL level game? It was bound to happen, and he certainly wasn't the reason we lost that game.

Stats wise, Sweet needs to be continued to developed and played. No excuse right now to be running a single ruck with Bont, Macrae, Young, and whoever else, filling the gap.

Danjul
15-08-2021, 05:07 PM
Jesse Glass McCasker Footscray VFL (198cm 98kg) has only had the opportunity to play primary ruck in two matches, when Sweet was in our AFL side. Comparing his stats with Max Lynch when playing against the same teams JGM is superior esp in clearances and tackling.

Against GC Suns
Glass McCasker Goal 1 Disp 14 HO 38 Clearances 5 Marks 4 Tackles 5
Max Lynch Goal 0 Disp 12 HO 29 Clearances 3 Marks 5 Tackles 2

Frankston
Glass McCasker Goal 1 Disp 17 HO33 Clearances 9 Marks 2 Tackles 5
Max Lynch Goal 1 Disp 19 HO36 Clearances 5 Marks 3 Tackles 3

It is the old story - if you want a promotion you must leave, and then be headhunted. Your reputation will grow faster when people can’t see your one weakness every day.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2021, 08:55 AM
Ruck market tightening up:

ST KILDA is keeping tabs on Sydney big man Hayden McLean, as the club continues to ponder long-term partnership options to pair alongside exciting young ruckman Rowan Marshall.

McLean, 22, impressed upon his return to Sydney's senior team in last week's victory over North Melbourne. He is uncontracted beyond this season and could yet sign an extension to continue his three-year stint with the club.

But the Saints remain determined to bolster their key-position stocks at season's end to provide additional ruck support for Marshall and to combine with star forward Max King in attack.

McLean has subsequently come into the thinking of St Kilda's recruiting department, having previously spent a season with the club's VFL affiliate Sandringham before being added to Sydney's rookie list ahead of the 2019 campaign.

Sydney's Hayden McLean celebrates a goal against Geelong in round seven, 2021. Picture: Getty Images
As reported by Inside Trading earlier this year, veteran Paddy Ryder is expected to pen a one-year extension to remain with the Saints for season 2022.

However, Paul Hunter is without a deal and faces an uncertain future after inking a one-year contract as a supplemental selection period signing last summer, while Shaun McKernan retired on Wednesday after being recruited as a delisted free agent.

Project players Sam Alabakis and Max Heath remain on the club's rookie list, with neither having yet made their AFL debuts, while Marshall and Ryder have both endured seasons plagued by injury.

It's led the Saints to investigate the prospect of dealing for McLean at season's end, having kept a watchful eye over the versatile 197cm ruck-forward when he spent one year at the club's VFL outfit Sandringham in 2018. – Riley Beveridge
restricted free agents at the Saints. – Callum Twomey

BIG BOMBER SET TO RECOMMIT, DOCKERS RUCK SIGNS

THE RUCK merry-go-round is shrinking, with Essendon's Andrew Phillips set for a new deal and Fremantle big man Lloyd Meek agreeing to a contract extension.

Phillips is expected to ink a one-year contract through to the end of 2022 as he remains an important back-up for emerging Bombers ruck Sam Draper. The former Giant and Blue attracted interest from Melbourne last off-season and has played six games this season.

Andrew Phillips in action against Richmond, round 12, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos
Meek had captured rival interest after making his debut at the start of this season and playing the first month of games but the 23-year-old will remain with the Dockers until at least the end of 2023.

The country Victorian product has featured in the Dockers' past four games and shapes as a long-term ruck partner with Sean Darcy.

There remains a group of rucks who will be of interest to rivals in the upcoming free agency and trade periods. Richmond pair Mabior Chol and Callum Coleman-Jones shape as two of the in-demand talls on the market and both remain unsigned.

Port Adelaide's Peter Ladhams (2022) and Sam Hayes (2023) are both signed to the club but have been sought after previously, while Collingwood duo Max Lynch and Mason Cox, Sydney's Callum Sinclair, Giants pair Matt Flynn and Kieran Briggs, North Melbourne's Tom Campbell and Geelong veteran Rhys Stanley are also out of contract.

Cats big man Darcy Fort and Hawk Jon Ceglar are both contracted to the end of 2022 but could be looked at by clubs searching for more options. – Mitch Cleary, Callum Twomey

RUCK ROOKIE LIST 'A FANTASTIC ADDITION'

MELBOURNE recruiting manager Jason Taylor has backed the AFL expanding the category B rookie list to include ruck prospects to help the development of taller players entering the system.

AFL.com.au reported this week the League was set to discuss the possibility of adding a ruck option to the category B rookie list that would encourage clubs to draft and develop rucks rather than pick-off readymade ones from rivals through trades and free agency.

The concept was raised by AFL.com.au in February and if brought in would allow players over a certain height – 198cm, for example – to be available to clubs if they are not selected in the national draft. Seven rucks were taken in the mid-season rookie draft this year.

"I'd be really strong on that for rucks," Taylor told the Road to the Draft podcast.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2021, 08:59 AM
Ruck market tightening up:

ST KILDA is keeping tabs on Sydney big man Hayden McLean, as the club continues to ponder long-term partnership options to pair alongside exciting young ruckman Rowan Marshall.

McLean, 22, impressed upon his return to Sydney's senior team in last week's victory over North Melbourne. He is uncontracted beyond this season and could yet sign an extension to continue his three-year stint with the club.

But the Saints remain determined to bolster their key-position stocks at season's end to provide additional ruck support for Marshall and to combine with star forward Max King in attack.

McLean has subsequently come into the thinking of St Kilda's recruiting department, having previously spent a season with the club's VFL affiliate Sandringham before being added to Sydney's rookie list ahead of the 2019 campaign.

As reported by Inside Trading earlier this year, veteran Paddy Ryder is expected to pen a one-year extension to remain with the Saints for season 2022.

However, Paul Hunter is without a deal and faces an uncertain future after inking a one-year contract as a supplemental selection period signing last summer, while Shaun McKernan retired on Wednesday after being recruited as a delisted free agent.

Project players Sam Alabakis and Max Heath remain on the club's rookie list, with neither having yet made their AFL debuts, while Marshall and Ryder have both endured seasons plagued by injury.

It's led the Saints to investigate the prospect of dealing for McLean at season's end, having kept a watchful eye over the versatile 197cm ruck-forward when he spent one year at the club's VFL outfit Sandringham in 2018. – Riley Beveridge
restricted free agents at the Saints. – Callum Twomey

BIG BOMBER SET TO RECOMMIT, DOCKERS RUCK SIGNS

THE RUCK merry-go-round is shrinking, with Essendon's Andrew Phillips set for a new deal and Fremantle big man Lloyd Meek agreeing to a contract extension.

Phillips is expected to ink a one-year contract through to the end of 2022 as he remains an important back-up for emerging Bombers ruck Sam Draper. The former Giant and Blue attracted interest from Melbourne last off-season and has played six games this season.

Meek had captured rival interest after making his debut at the start of this season and playing the first month of games but the 23-year-old will remain with the Dockers until at least the end of 2023.

The country Victorian product has featured in the Dockers' past four games and shapes as a long-term ruck partner with Sean Darcy.

There remains a group of rucks who will be of interest to rivals in the upcoming free agency and trade periods. Richmond pair Mabior Chol and Callum Coleman-Jones shape as two of the in-demand talls on the market and both remain unsigned.

Port Adelaide's Peter Ladhams (2022) and Sam Hayes (2023) are both signed to the club but have been sought after previously, while Collingwood duo Max Lynch and Mason Cox, Sydney's Callum Sinclair, Giants pair Matt Flynn and Kieran Briggs, North Melbourne's Tom Campbell and Geelong veteran Rhys Stanley are also out of contract.

Cats big man Darcy Fort and Hawk Jon Ceglar are both contracted to the end of 2022 but could be looked at by clubs searching for more options. – Mitch Cleary, Callum Twomey

RUCK ROOKIE LIST 'A FANTASTIC ADDITION'

MELBOURNE recruiting manager Jason Taylor has backed the AFL expanding the category B rookie list to include ruck prospects to help the development of taller players entering the system.

AFL.com.au reported this week the League was set to discuss the possibility of adding a ruck option to the category B rookie list that would encourage clubs to draft and develop rucks rather than pick-off readymade ones from rivals through trades and free agency.

The concept was raised by AFL.com.au in February and if brought in would allow players over a certain height – 198cm, for example – to be available to clubs if they are not selected in the national draft. Seven rucks were taken in the mid-season rookie draft this year.

"I'd be really strong on that for rucks," Taylor told the Road to the Draft podcast.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2021, 09:10 AM
Synopsis of above article:

Maboir Chol - Age 24, 200cm, 91kg, 30 Games
Peter Ladhams - Age 23, 202cm, 95kg, 29 Games
Matt Flynn - Age 23, 200cm, 103kg, 12 Games
Hayden McLean - Age 22, 197cm, 103kg, 19 Games
Callum Coleman-Jones - Age 22, 200cm, 102kg, 8 Games
Kieren Briggs - Age 22 (October), 200cm, 107cm, 4 Games
Max Lynch - Age 22, 200cm, 99kg, 3 Games
Sam Hayes - Age 22, 205cm, 102kg, 0 Games

No to Sinclair, Fort & Cox. Stanley won’t leave.

Vred
19-08-2021, 10:48 AM
1. Ladhams
2. Darcy Cameron
3. Lynch
4. Callum C-J
5. If we're this far down we're pretty *!*!*!*!ed
6. Mason Cox

In that order

Mofra
20-08-2021, 12:19 PM
Ladhams is available.
Port are pushing him out because of his association with Aidyn Johnson (delisted at the end of 2019). Johnson has just moved to Melbourne, he and Ladhams run a T shirt business together just like most footballers in the 2000s did.

He is not a good influence on Ladhams but they are Johnno/Smith B1 & B2 tight.

Here's the question - do we pull the trigger and trade for him then back our culture to pull him into line or is he in the 'too hard' basket that would disrupt the group?

Axe Man
20-08-2021, 12:26 PM
Ladhams is available.
Port are pushing him out because of his association with Aidyn Johnson (delisted at the end of 2019). Johnson has just moved to Melbourne, he and Ladhams run a T shirt business together just like most footballers in the 2000s did.

Here's the question - do we pull the trigger and trade for him then back our culture to pull him into line or is he in the 'too hard' basket that would disrupt the group?

Is Johnson a potential Footscray candidate? Keep him under our nose if we are concerned about him?

I believe he is indigenous - get Varcoe to work with him?

bulldogtragic
20-08-2021, 12:33 PM
Is Johnson a potential Footscray candidate? Keep him under our nose if we are concerned about him?

I believe he is indigenous - get Varcoe to work with him?

Seems to have played at Sturt last year.

Is there competition with Hannan and his t-shirt brand, or a good symmetry of combined interests?

bulldogtragic
20-08-2021, 12:37 PM
Ladhams is available.

Is it bad enough to drop his trade value? Is Johnson just shit-canning Port, or some kind of illegality?

Mofra
20-08-2021, 12:44 PM
Is it bad enough to drop his trade value? Is Johnson just shit-canning Port, or some kind of illegality?
All I have heard is he likes to party

bulldogtragic
20-08-2021, 01:55 PM
All I have heard is he likes to party

So then Flight if the Conchords are in strife. Or at least Bret.

Clay Smith on Open Mike said Bevo would let him have 6-8 beers to unwind as he Clay needed whilst being 100% all the other time. So Bevo has the ability to cut some slack to make things work for all the different personality types. I guess it’s whether it’s this kind of level, or otherwise. He looks fit though does Ladhams.

azabob
20-08-2021, 02:57 PM
Rock the party or Ruck the party? Flight of the Conchords rule...

bulldogtragic
20-08-2021, 04:32 PM
Rock the party or Ruck the party? Flight of the Conchords rule...

Done. I nominate you as our Mel.

bulldogtragic
20-08-2021, 11:41 PM
If the plan is to keep a 35 bloke with a shot body, not ruck English, play Young or whoever because he’s leaving no doubt, plus ruck Bont then people have to go. It keeps *!*!*!*!ing us over and we keep expecting it won’t.

azabob
21-08-2021, 11:58 AM
No point bringing in a second ruck like Ladhams as we will end up with two pseudo ruckman who can sort of play forward.

Hotdog60
22-08-2021, 10:33 AM
I know this is flogging a dead horse but I was looking at the stats between Martin and Sweet this year and there's not a lot of difference.

Martin v Sweet 2021 averages

7 Games 5
3.1 Kicks 4.2
6.9 Handballs 4.4
10.0 Disposals 8.6
1.1 Marks 2.4
0.1 Goals 0.2
0 Behinds 0.4
1.6 Tackles 3.8
17.6 Hitouts 19.8
0.4 Inside 50s 1.8
0.3 Goal Assists 0.2
0.9 Frees For 1.6
1.9 Frees Against 2.0
7.0 Contested Possessions 4.4
3.1 Uncontested Possessions 4.6
7.1 Effective Disposals 6.2
71% Disposal Efficiency % 72.1%
3.1 Clangers 3.2
0.4 Contested Marks 0.2
0 Marks Inside 50 0.4
2.9 Clearances 2.4
0 Rebound 50s 0.4
2.0 One Percenters 3.4
0 Bounces 0
71.1 Time On Ground % 75.6
1.4 Centre Clearances 0.8
1.4 Stoppage Clearances 1.6
3.9 Score Involvements 3.6
34.6 Metres Gained 144.6
0.9 Turnovers 2.0
1.9 Intercepts 1.2
0.6 Tackles Inside 50 0.6

Now I know stats aren't everything but why didn't we give Sweet the time the same as English who we all admit is an ordinary ruck man at this stage of his career and may never be the number one ruck option. I get English was a high draft pick and offers more around the ground but how was his early years that we stuck with even though he was getting smashed.

When Martin went down we should have bit the bullet with Sweet and kept a structure that was winning.

The VFL has been on and off all season and its a loss of development we get into Sweet who plays a position we are in desperate need for. Martin could have been down on the boundary as Jordan's personnel ruck coach guiding him through the games.
Also if we go back to one of the last VFL games it was Sweet who was getting slaughtered in the ruck moved forward and kicked 3 goals to get us back into a winning position and was also much improved in the ruck after the stint forward.

What I'm basically saying is how much would we have lost by having Sweet cover Martin as it's nearly like for like.

Danjul
22-08-2021, 11:13 AM
I know this is flogging a dead horse but I was looking at the stats between Martin and Sweet this year and there's not a lot of difference.

10.0 Disposals 8.6
1.1 Marks 2.4
0.1 Goals 0.2
0 Behinds 0.4
1.6 Tackles 3.8
17.6 Hitouts 19.8
0.4 Inside 50s 1.8
0.3 Goal Assists 0.2
0.9 Frees For 1.6

2.0 One Percenters 3.4

Now I know stats aren't everything but why didn't we give Sweet the time the same as English who we all admit is an ordinary ruck man at this stage of his career and may never be the number one ruck option. I get English was a high draft pick and offers more around the ground but how was his early years that we stuck with even though he was getting smashed.

When Martin went down we should have bit the bullet with Sweet and kept a structure that was winning.

The VFL has been on and off all season and its a loss of development we get into Sweet who plays a position we are in desperate need for. Martin could have been down on the boundary as Jordan's personnel ruck coach guiding him through the games.
Also if we go back to one of the last VFL games it was Sweet who was getting slaughtered in the ruck moved forward and kicked 3 goals to get us back into a winning position and was also much improved in the ruck after the stint forward.

What I'm basically saying is how much would we have lost by having Sweet cover Martin as it's nearly like for like.

We clearly had two comparable ruckmen whose on- field performances gave a stable winning structure and the clubÂ’s best start to a season in years.

Unfortunately one of them was shown up as not yet perfect by the competitionÂ’s best ruckman playing in the competionÂ’s best team. The clubÂ’s response was to ignore his existence and assign the role to others.

We were happy to settle for losing 50% of the remaining games and the double chance and the minor premiership..

But at least we didnÂ’t allow Sweet to cause the catastrophic end to the home and away games. We played others who could do it.

MrMahatma
23-08-2021, 09:48 AM
Can’t underestimate the impact no VFL has had on Sweet and other members of the playing group over the past 2 years. Hard to develop when you’re not playing, and the AFL may not be the best place to learn if you’re a fair way off the pace.

Mofra
23-08-2021, 10:02 AM

7 Games 5
3.1 Kicks 4.2
6.9 Handballs 4.4
10.0 Disposals 8.6
1.1 Marks 2.4
0.1 Goals 0.2
0 Behinds 0.4
1.6 Tackles 3.8
17.6 Hitouts 19.8
0.4 Inside 50s 1.8
0.3 Goal Assists 0.2
0.9 Frees For 1.6
1.9 Frees Against 2.0
3.1 Clangers 3.2
0.4 Contested Marks 0.2
0 Marks Inside 50 0.4
2.9 Clearances 2.4
0 Rebound 50s 0.4
2.0 One Percenters 3.4
0 Bounces 0
34.6 Metres Gained 144.6
0.9 Turnovers 2.0
1.9 Intercepts 1.2

If Sweet had kept up his early season VFL form I'm sure he would have been given more opportunity at AFL level.
I'm not writing him off yet (especially after another pre-season) but we have to remember one of his AFL games was against Gold Coast against no-one.

I am still heavily in favour of bringing in a ruck at trade period. It's been my number 1 priority from early in the season when Timmy showed he is a very good forward/ruck.

Mofra
25-08-2021, 01:24 PM
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/department-of-trade/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-2021-patrick-lipsinki-collingwood-carlton-luke-parker-contract-mason-cox/news-story/31a0e96d733576cbaa4a41f0c32ce5dd

Collingwood forward Mason Cox has effectively been told to explore his options, with the American Pie adamant “there’s a lot more to my AFL career that can be explored”.

Cox played just seven games during the Magpies’ 2021 campaign, but 9 News Melbourne reported Cox had yet to receive a contract offer from the club, which is focused on finding its new senior coach at this stage.

Asked by 9 News Melbourne’s Braden Ingram if he would want to play on at another club next year if he didn’t get an offer from the Pies, Cox said: “Yeah definitely. I think there’s a lot more to my AFL career that can be explored.

“Even if it may be switching positions to a ruck more, rather than a forward role.
He's not my first choice but he'd be free and probably cheap in cap terms. I'd rather have ruck cover on the list than not.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2021, 01:32 PM
For Ruck Sake.

Maybe at 3am and desperation sets in after everything with a pulse says ‘no’. Even then, I might just go home and Hannan one out before sleep.

Grantysghost
25-08-2021, 01:35 PM
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/department-of-trade/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-2021-patrick-lipsinki-collingwood-carlton-luke-parker-contract-mason-cox/news-story/31a0e96d733576cbaa4a41f0c32ce5dd

He's not my first choice but he'd be free and probably cheap in cap terms. I'd rather have ruck cover on the list than not.

It's not a bad idea, but for me I'd have him on the list but hopefully there's a few names before him.

Callum Sinclair would be an upgrade on our current situation and considering the Swans cap issues could be quite a cheap get.

He's capable of at least halving things which is a step in the right direction!

Danjul
25-08-2021, 01:42 PM
If Sweet had kept up his early season VFL form I'm sure he would have been given more opportunity at AFL level.
I'm not writing him off yet (especially after another pre-season) but we have to remember one of his AFL games was against Gold Coast against no-one.

I am still heavily in favour of bringing in a ruck at trade period. It's been my number 1 priority from early in the season when Timmy showed he is a very good forward/ruck.
And let’s remember that Martin and English combined to have 17 hitouts against North. I think that’s the number Sweet got against Gawn, in his worst game.

The Pie Man
25-08-2021, 01:47 PM
If Mason was committed to no. 1 ruck duties, surely he’d be worth a look as a cheap option.

I get the reservations (for lack of a better word) but there’s likely at least a half decent ruckman in there somewhere

jazzadogs
25-08-2021, 02:04 PM
Bevo was talking about Stef, and said the concern was not whether he could compete in the stoppages but whether he could 'play his role in the turnover game' - I imagine that the criticism of Sweet is not whether he can ruck, but whether he can stick to his role outside of the stoppages.

Mofra
25-08-2021, 02:10 PM
Bevo was talking about Stef, and said the concern was not whether he could compete in the stoppages but whether he could 'play his role in the turnover game' - I imagine that the criticism of Sweet is not whether he can ruck, but whether he can stick to his role outside of the stoppages.
It's something that Bevo has been consistent with - he wants a ruck that can contribute around the ground. We can pretty much rule out tap-only ruckman as an option at trade time.

Both Lahdhams and Max Lynch are good runners for talls. Mason Cox, for all his awkwardness, can run. For the same reason I don't think we would have even asked the question of Preuss every time he gets the urge to make another poor career decision.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-08-2021, 02:15 PM

I suppose English normally gets to the right spots, but he typically has very little impact once he’s there. Must frustrate the hell out of the coaches.

G-Mo77
25-08-2021, 02:56 PM

7 Games 5
3.1 Kicks 4.2
6.9 Handballs 4.4
10.0 Disposals 8.6
1.1 Marks 2.4
0.1 Goals 0.2
0 Behinds 0.4
1.6 Tackles 3.8
17.6 Hitouts 19.8
0.4 Inside 50s 1.8
0.3 Goal Assists 0.2
0.9 Frees For 1.6
1.9 Frees Against 2.0
3.1 Clangers 3.2
0.4 Contested Marks 0.2
0 Marks Inside 50 0.4
2.9 Clearances 2.4
0 Rebound 50s 0.4
2.0 One Percenters 3.4
0 Bounces 0
34.6 Metres Gained 144.6
0.9 Turnovers 2.0
1.9 Intercepts 1.2

Wonderful post HD and an excellent question to close it off. We had nothing to lose playing him IMO, not only we get to blood a ruckman which we desperately need it also leaves us with an option if/when Martin isn't available.

Now our hands are tied, it's Martin or bust.

Sedat
25-08-2021, 09:20 PM
Plenty of discussion around Martin v Sweet, with makeshift Young thrown in, but we're all burying the lead. We drafted a 207cm 19yo ruckman 5 years ago in the expectation that he will be tearing it up as a 24yo just as we are building for another tilt at a premiership. It is damning that English is (quite rightly) not even being seriously discussed as #1 ruck option this week, such is his complete lack of aggression, strength, craft and nous in the position.

And it's not as though we haven't given him ample opportunity to make the #1 ruck position his own. His lack of development is hurting us big time at the moment, and we better have a plan for how best to deploy him this week and in 2022 and beyond because it sure isn't going to be as #1 ruck.

Grantysghost
25-08-2021, 09:30 PM
Plenty of discussion around Martin v Sweet, with makeshift Young thrown in, but we're all burying the lead. We drafted a 207cm 19yo ruckman 5 years ago in the expectation that he will be tearing it up as a 24yo just as we are building for another tilt at a premiership. It is damning that English is (quite rightly) not even being seriously discussed as #1 ruck option this week, such is his complete lack of aggression, strength, craft and nous in the position.

And it's not as though we haven't given him ample opportunity to make the #1 ruck position his own. His lack of development is hurting us big time at the moment, and we better have a plan for how best to deploy him this week and in 2022 and beyond because it sure isn't going to be as #1 ruck.

A fair point, we are kind of missing the obvious.

I feel Bevo has been expressing some of his exasperation at this exact scenario of late; the public talking to on the bench then some comments in the press conference made his frustrations pretty clear.

English looks like a nice kid and he's an amazing athlete. He just needs to work on his competitiveness. Not sure you can teach it.

That concussion certainly took the wind out of his sails.

jeemak
25-08-2021, 10:09 PM
You picked this a while out Sedat, and while it was easier to be negative based on his body of work I really did think he'd turn the corner.

Now I can't see it happening for him as a number one ruck. He's going to be a great second ruck/ forward, but chances of him actually making it in the role he was selected seem to be getting slimmer and slimmer.

bornadog
25-08-2021, 10:59 PM
You picked this a while out Sedat, and while it was easier to be negative based on his body of work I really did think he'd turn the corner.

Now I can't see it happening for him as a number one ruck. He's going to be a great second ruck/ forward, but chances of him actually making it in the role he was selected seem to be getting slimmer and slimmer.

He is still a good player and still best 22, however, as Sedat says we need to do something about a number one for next year. Martin was a gamble, but he is also a mentor for our rucks, but he is not long term.

Mofra
25-08-2021, 11:07 PM

Is that so bad? Arguably a forward/ruck who is actually good is harder to find than a modestly capable no 1 ruck.

jeemak
25-08-2021, 11:21 PM
Is that so bad? Arguably a forward/ruck who is actually good is harder to find than a modestly capable no 1 ruck.

I don't disagree with you. I think previously I've called it the hardest position to recruit for.

Ghost Dog
26-08-2021, 01:11 AM
A fair point, we are kind of missing the obvious.

I feel Bevo has been expressing some of his exasperation at this exact scenario of late; the public talking to on the bench then some comments in the press conference made his frustrations pretty clear.

English looks like a nice kid and he's an amazing athlete. He just needs to work on his competitiveness. Not sure you can teach it.

That concussion certainly took the wind out of his sails.

What was the talking to on the bench bit? With Timmy?

Mofra
26-08-2021, 09:08 AM
I don't disagree with you. I think previously I've called it the hardest position to recruit for.
With Timmy there it does give us the flexibility to consider a ruck who isn't much of a threat forward (a la Stef).
The little I've seen of Max Lynch suggests he wouldn't worry defenders too much. I doubt opposition coaches would be concerned about Ceglar forward either, and he seems to have been mentioned a few times.

Interesting question. Let's suppose our first few options have dried up and we are stuck with a choice between Ceglar and Mason Cox - who do you prefer?

azabob
26-08-2021, 09:22 AM
With Timmy there it does give us the flexibility to consider a ruck who isn't much of a threat forward (a la Stef).
The little I've seen of Max Lynch suggests he wouldn't worry defenders too much. I doubt opposition coaches would be concerned about Ceglar forward either, and he seems to have been mentioned a few times.

Interesting question. Let's suppose our first few options have dried up and we are stuck with a choice between Ceglar and Mason Cox - who do you prefer?

Id go Ceglar as he has shown he can hold his own as a first ruck. Unsure if Cox can or not as he hasn't really had that opportunity to.

I think Ladhams, Lynch, McLean are too similar to English and we'd be doubly depressed if we brought one of these players to the club.

You have been a big advocate for Max Lynch - out of the players you have listed who is your preference? Still Lynch?

azabob
26-08-2021, 09:31 AM
Would Ben Hudson get a game in Luke Beveridge team?

He is probably our best ruckman since Scott Wynd / Luke Darcy.

comrade
26-08-2021, 09:35 AM

I think so, Stef is in the Hudson mold. I fricken loved Huddo, would be awesome in this 2021 side but I’m a sucker for big, physical beef ruckmen :o

The Bulldogs Bite
26-08-2021, 10:02 AM

Cox.

Ceglar is almost too short v Gawn / Naitanui etc and he doesn't have a spring. Probably costs more than Cox too.

bornadog
26-08-2021, 10:33 AM
Cox.

Ceglar is almost too short v Gawn / Naitanui etc and he doesn't have a spring. Probably costs more than Cox too.

Yeah, i would go Cox as well. Ceglar has never impressed me, and Cox is due to his height.

Mofra
26-08-2021, 10:50 AM

In a heartbeat. His follow up work when the ball hit the deck was incredible and would release Macrae and Bont even more to play as legitimate ball-hunters.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2021, 10:53 AM
Chol is a free agent and reports Essendon are going hard among other clubs, not ours in the reports. We are keeping it quiet or we aren’t interested in this style of ruck.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-08-2021, 11:50 AM
Chol is a free agent and reports Essendon are going hard among other clubs, not ours in the reports. We are keeping it quiet or we aren’t interested in this style of ruck.

Actually don't mind Chol, and I would be a little surprised if Richmond let him go.

Problem is he's basically English - tall, lean, skilful who is better forward but can offer ruck minutes.

If we had a young Martin and no English, I'd be keen, but not the other way around.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2021, 12:14 PM
Actually don't mind Chol, and I would be a little surprised if Richmond let him go.

Problem is he's basically English - tall, lean, skilful who is better forward but can offer ruck minutes.

If we had a young Martin and no English, I'd be keen, but not the other way around.

I’ve been saying I think we need two rucks this year.

Chol as a free agent as a Bruce replacement/ruck minutes. We have the cash and costs no picks
English as a forward/ruck minutes. Plus dropping into defence if needed. Swing man.
McEvoy (for example) First Ruck. Cost is very little.

Complete restructuring for basically just salary. Which we have spare. Or if JJ requests a trade. His salary covers both rucks.

2022:

HF: Weightman Chol VDM
F: Marra Naughton English/McNeil rotating
R: McEvoy Bonts Macrae

#1 Ruck: McEvoy
KPDs: Naughton, Chol
Third: English
Mid: Marra (over Hannan)
Smalls: Cody, VDM, McNeil

But we aren’t linked, even on the rumour mill, to a ruck yet. But I think two rucks, one a handy forward, would be ideal to my thinking.

bornadog
26-08-2021, 12:24 PM
I would like a ruckman next year, ideally around 27 to 28 years old as a longer term number one ruck.

I don't want another Martin who will break down.

Who this is, I don't know.

G-Mo77
26-08-2021, 12:28 PM
I would like a ruckman next year, ideally around 27 to 28 years old as a longer term number one ruck.

I don't want another Martin who will break down.

Who this is, I don't know.

How old is Grundy or Gawn? Do they fall into this bracket? ;)

Grantysghost
26-08-2021, 12:32 PM
I’ve been saying I think we need two rucks this year.

Chol as a free agent as a Bruce replacement/ruck minutes. We have the cash and costs no picks
English as a forward/ruck minutes. Plus dropping into defence if needed. Swing man.
McEvoy (for example) First Ruck. Cost is very little.

Complete restructuring for basically just salary. Which we have spare. Or if JJ requests a trade. His salary covers both rucks.

2022:

HF: Weightman Chol VDM
F: Marra Naughton English/McNeil rotating
R: McEvoy Bonts Macrae

#1 Ruck: McEvoy
KPDs: Naughton, Chol
Third: English
Mid: Marra (over Hannan)
Smalls: Cody, VDM, McNeil

But we aren’t linked, even on the rumour mill, to a ruck yet. But I think two rucks, one a handy forward, would be ideal to my thinking.

Apparently the Dons are all over Chol.

1eyedog
26-08-2021, 12:33 PM

Thing is he isn't actually a very good forward either, he's not a natural one anyway. In terms of ruck craft I have Young comfortably in front of him there as well. He's in limbo and at the moment he is simply 'tall'.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2021, 12:36 PM

Yep. He’s the best ruck/forward Free Agent. I’d hope we are in the race too needing to cover Bruce and address ruck depth. As well as getting a pure #1 ruck.

I can dream, right? Finally getting serious about the ruck and addressing covering Bruce?

G-Mo77
26-08-2021, 12:39 PM
Yep. He’s the best ruck/forward Free Agent. I’d hope we are in the race too needing to cover Bruce and address ruck depth. As well as getting a pure #1 ruck.

I can dream, right? Finally getting serious about the ruck and addressing covering Bruce?

Then you wake up and we find out Mitch Wallis is working on his ruck craft over the off season. Maybe he'd get a game that way. :o

bornadog
26-08-2021, 12:44 PM

Is he any good?

2021 Games Log for Mabior Chol (Richmond Tigers)

Description
Date
Opponent
Result
K
HB
D
M
G
B
T
HO
GA
I50
CL
CG
R50
FF
FA
AF
SC

Round 23
Aug 21
Hawks (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-hawthorn-hawks)
Draw 83-83 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10520)

Round 20
Aug 1
Dockers (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-fremantle-dockers)
Loss 51-55 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10497)

Round 19
Jul 25
Cats (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-geelong-cats)
Loss 57-95 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10482)

Round 18
Jul 16
Lions (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-brisbane-lions)
Win 106-86 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10476)

Round 17
Jul 11
Magpies (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-collingwood-magpies)
Loss 71-87 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10467)

Round 16
Jul 1
Suns (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-gold-coast-suns)
Loss 67-77 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10455)

Round 15
Jun 25
Saints (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-st-kilda-saints)
Loss 22-62 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10450)

Round 13
Jun 13
Eagles (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-west-coast-eagles)
Loss 81-85 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10443)

Round 12
Jun 5
Bombers (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-essendon-bombers)
Win 123-84 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10427)

Round 11
May 30
Crows (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-adelaide-crows)
Win 111-83 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10419)

bornadog
26-08-2021, 12:44 PM
Compared to English

Player Statistics Comparison

Mabior Chol (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-richmond-tigers--mabior-chol)
Name
Timothy English (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--timothy-english)

Richmond Tigers (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-richmond-tigers)
Team
Western Bulldogs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-western-bulldogs)

Forward, Ruck
Position
Forward, Ruck

Career Games

Aspley
Origin
South Fremantle

January 29, 1997
Date of Birth
August 10, 1997

24yr 6mth

200cm
Height
205cm

91kg
Weight
93kg

2018 Rookie Draft (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2018&t=R&s=P)
Last Drafted In
2016 National Draft (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2016&t=N&s=P)

Round 3, Pick #45
Last Draft Position
Round 1, Pick #19

Richmond Tigers (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-richmond-tigers)
Last Drafted By
Western Bulldogs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-western-bulldogs)

Stats for Season

Games

Kicks

Handballs

Disposals

Marks

Goals

Behinds

Tackles

Hitouts

Inside 50s

Goal Assists

Frees For

Frees Against

Contested Possessions

Uncontested Possessions

Effective Disposals

70%
Disposal Efficiency %
72.5%

Clangers

Contested Marks

Marks Inside 50

Clearances

Rebound 50s

One Percenters

Bounces

Time On Ground %

Centre Clearances

Stoppage Clearances

Score Involvements

Metres Gained

Turnovers

Intercepts

Tackles Inside 50

Grantysghost
26-08-2021, 12:53 PM
Is he any good?

2021 Games Log for Mabior Chol (Richmond Tigers)

Description
Date
Opponent
Result
K
HB
D
M
G
B
T
HO
GA
I50
CL
CG
R50
FF
FA
AF
SC

Round 23
Aug 21
Draw 83-83 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10520)

Round 20
Aug 1
Loss 51-55 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10497)

Round 19
Jul 25
Loss 57-95 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10482)

Round 18
Jul 16
Win 106-86 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10476)

Round 17
Jul 11
Loss 71-87 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10467)

Round 16
Jul 1
Loss 67-77 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10455)

Round 15
Jun 25
Loss 22-62 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10450)

Round 13
Jun 13
Loss 81-85 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10443)

Round 12
Jun 5
Win 123-84 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10427)

Round 11
May 30
Win 111-83 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10419)

I think he doesn't mind throwing his weight around from what I have seen as compared to Tim. Raw numbers probably similar.

Certainly better than Cox which I am loathe to even entertain. I don't rate at all.

soupman
26-08-2021, 01:04 PM
Compared to English

Tbf Chol played as the sole ruck in one of the games from round 11 onwards, while English has been a 1st ruck basically the entire time.

I don't really rate him as a main ruck, he doesn't seem to have the brute strength a lot of the good ones have and not sure he is able to impact around the ground like English. I do think he would be a good second ruck option, but thats what I think English is so we don't need two.

Ladhams is a similiar but better version imo. Not really the strong tap ruck i want, but is better around the ground and possibly a better forward too imo.

Cox does not inspire at all and has never really shown an ability to get bulk hitouts unless he has been playing a team without a ruck. Ceglar i think is alright and holds his own in the ruck without being a weapon, and is competent even if uninspiring around the ground. He would be my pick of that bunch but it's not like I'm super keen.

jeemak
26-08-2021, 01:21 PM

I'd go with Ceglar. I think as Az has said he's shown he can hold down a first ruck spot and that's the player we need.

bornadog
26-08-2021, 01:32 PM
Another way to look at it.

Here are the top 25 for hitouts. Who can we target.

2021 AFL League Hitouts Per Game Leaders (Minimum 5 Games Played)

Rank
Player
Team
Games
Hitouts for Last Game
Average

Brodie Grundy (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-collingwood-magpies--brodie-grundy)
23 v Essendon, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10518)

Max Gawn (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-melbourne-demons--max-gawn)
Demons (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-melbourne-demons)
39 v Geelong, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10519)

Nicholas Naitanui (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-west-coast-eagles--nicholas-naitanui)
53 v Brisbane, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10516)

Patrick Ryder (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-st-kilda-saints--patrick-ryder)
27 v West Coast, Round 19 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10488)

Todd Goldstein (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-kangaroos--todd-goldstein)
Kangaroos (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-kangaroos)
41 v Adelaide, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10524)

Reilly O'Brien (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-adelaide-crows--reilly-o-brien)
28 v Port Adelaide, Round 21 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10505)

Marc Pittonet (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-carlton-blues--marc-pittonet)
Blues (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-carlton-blues)
27 v GWS, Round 14 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10440)

Oscar McInerney (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-brisbane-lions--oscar-mcinerney)
24 v West Coast, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10516)

Sean Darcy (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-fremantle-dockers--sean-darcy)
16 v St Kilda, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10521)

Scott Lycett (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-port-adelaide-power--scott-lycett)
Power (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-port-adelaide-power)
40 v Western Bulldogs, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10523)

Ned Reeves (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-hawthorn-hawks--ned-reeves)
31 v Brisbane, Round 20 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10533)

Shane Mumford (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-greater-western-sydney-giants--shane-mumford)
Giants (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-greater-western-sydney-giants)
28 v Richmond, Round 22 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10510)

Tom Hickey (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-sydney-swans--tom-hickey)
Swans (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-sydney-swans)
24 v Gold Coast, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10522)

Sam Draper (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-essendon-bombers--sam-draper)
20 v Collingwood, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10518)

Toby Nankervis (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-richmond-tigers--toby-nankervis)
Tigers (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-richmond-tigers)
23 v GWS, Round 22 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10510)

Zac Smith (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-gold-coast-suns--zac-smith)
26 v Sydney, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10522)

Jonathon Ceglar (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-hawthorn-hawks--jonathon-ceglar)
24 v Richmond, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10520)

Andrew Phillips (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-essendon-bombers--andrew-phillips-1)
25 v Richmond, Round 12 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10427)

Jordon Sweet (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--jordon-sweet)
Bulldogs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-western-bulldogs)
17 v Melbourne, Round 11 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10422)

Rhys Stanley (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-geelong-cats--rhys-stanley)
33 v Melbourne, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10519)

Matthew Flynn (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-greater-western-sydney-giants--matthew-flynn)
22 v Sydney, Round 18 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10473)

Rowan Marshall (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-st-kilda-saints--rowan-marshall)
13 v Fremantle, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10521)

Stefan Martin (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--stefan-martin)
8 v Fremantle, Round 12 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10431)

Kieren Briggs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-greater-western-sydney-giants--kieren-briggs)
26 v Carlton, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10517)

Ben McEvoy (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-hawthorn-hawks--ben-mcevoy)
13 v Richmond, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10520)

bulldogsthru&thru
26-08-2021, 01:51 PM

Rank
Player
Team
Games
Hitouts for Last Game
Average

Brodie Grundy (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-collingwood-magpies--brodie-grundy)
23 v Essendon, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10518)

39 v Geelong, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10519)

Nicholas Naitanui (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-west-coast-eagles--nicholas-naitanui)
53 v Brisbane, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10516)

Patrick Ryder (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-st-kilda-saints--patrick-ryder)
27 v West Coast, Round 19 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10488)

Todd Goldstein (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-kangaroos--todd-goldstein)
41 v Adelaide, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10524)

Reilly O'Brien (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-adelaide-crows--reilly-o-brien)
28 v Port Adelaide, Round 21 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10505)

Marc Pittonet (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-carlton-blues--marc-pittonet)
27 v GWS, Round 14 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10440)

Oscar McInerney (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-brisbane-lions--oscar-mcinerney)
24 v West Coast, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10516)

Sean Darcy (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-fremantle-dockers--sean-darcy)
16 v St Kilda, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10521)

Scott Lycett (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-port-adelaide-power--scott-lycett)
40 v Western Bulldogs, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10523)

31 v Brisbane, Round 20 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10533)

Shane Mumford (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-greater-western-sydney-giants--shane-mumford)
28 v Richmond, Round 22 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10510)

24 v Gold Coast, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10522)

Sam Draper (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-essendon-bombers--sam-draper)
20 v Collingwood, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10518)

Toby Nankervis (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-richmond-tigers--toby-nankervis)
23 v GWS, Round 22 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10510)

26 v Sydney, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10522)

Jonathon Ceglar (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-hawthorn-hawks--jonathon-ceglar)
24 v Richmond, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10520)

Andrew Phillips (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-essendon-bombers--andrew-phillips-1)
25 v Richmond, Round 12 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10427)

Jordon Sweet (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--jordon-sweet)
17 v Melbourne, Round 11 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10422)

Rhys Stanley (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-geelong-cats--rhys-stanley)
33 v Melbourne, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10519)

Matthew Flynn (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-greater-western-sydney-giants--matthew-flynn)
22 v Sydney, Round 18 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10473)

Rowan Marshall (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-st-kilda-saints--rowan-marshall)
13 v Fremantle, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10521)

Stefan Martin (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--stefan-martin)
8 v Fremantle, Round 12 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10431)

Kieren Briggs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-greater-western-sydney-giants--kieren-briggs)
26 v Carlton, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10517)

13 v Richmond, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10520)

Who’s the most gettable on that list? Sweet?

comrade
26-08-2021, 01:56 PM

The guy at 19 might be worth a shot?

Mantis
26-08-2021, 01:57 PM
The guy at 19 might be worth a shot?

What about no.7?

bornadog
26-08-2021, 02:00 PM
What about no.7?

Out of contract this year

SquirrelGrip
26-08-2021, 02:11 PM

Rank
Player
Team
Games
Hitouts for Last Game
Average

I'd be going straight for number 1, as a deal could be done with the Pies.

Go_Dogs
26-08-2021, 02:48 PM
Isn’t the current issue more around a lack of viable options up forward, with Tim being our best bet there, rather than us completely giving up on Tim as a ruckman? Sure Tim has had some challenges this year, but he’s also played some good footy. He’s going to add the most value (probably) doing 30:70 ruck:forward. But. He would 100000000% be our starting ruck this weekend if Bruce hadn’t been injured.

Don’t mind the talk of Ladhams / Chol. Both could add to our mix.

I’m increasingly wondering whether Lew may actually be the answer though. Some of his knocks to space were a thing of beauty…. Just a lack of familiarity which is causing the lack of connection. May be good for him too, he’s capable jumping and seems OK in the tougher stuff when thrust upon him.

bornadog
26-08-2021, 03:22 PM
Isn’t the current issue more around a lack of viable options up forward, with Tim being our best bet there, rather than us completely giving up on Tim as a ruckman? Sure Tim has had some challenges this year, but he’s also played some good footy. He’s going to add the most value (probably) doing 30:70 ruck:forward. But. He would 100000000% be our starting ruck this weekend if Bruce hadn’t been injured.

Don’t mind the talk of Ladhams / Chol. Both could add to our mix.

I’m increasingly wondering whether Lew may actually be the answer though. Some of his knocks to space were a thing of beauty…. Just a lack of familiarity which is causing the lack of connection. May be good for him too, he’s capable jumping and seems OK in the tougher stuff when thrust upon him.

I think Tim is seen as an excellent second ruck/fwd.

You has grown 4cm since being at the club and is 201cm, and as you say can jump. At this stage, I don't see him as the answer as number 1 ruck.

1eyedog
26-08-2021, 03:49 PM
Jay sus English not even on the list WTF are we doing?

Mofra
26-08-2021, 04:04 PM

Rank
Player
Team
Games
Hitouts for Last Game
Average

Plot twist - Nankervis.
Ivan Soldo comes back next year post ACL and CCJ stays at Richmond.

Ceglar would be gettable, Pittonet would be too but I don't think we'd consider him although he's at that age (25) where rucks can still improve.

Ghost Dog
26-08-2021, 04:16 PM
in 2016 we didn't have a perfect list. But we had the hunger and desire.
Tom Boyd, Roughy hacking away in the ruck. Neither were perfect. But we got there.

bornadog
26-08-2021, 04:31 PM
in 2016 we didn't have a perfect list. But we had the hunger and desire.
Tom Boyd, Roughy hacking away in the ruck. Neither were perfect. But we got there.

Third man up masked some of Roughy's deficiencies in the ruck

Ghost Dog
26-08-2021, 04:37 PM
Third man up masked some of Roughy's deficiencies in the ruck

Roughy I miss you mate.

The issue is our midfield is dropping away. That's really uncovering some deficiencies....
There have been plenty of times we got toasted in the ruck but it didn't affect us. Now it's a bit different.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-08-2021, 05:08 PM
Jay sus English not even on the list WTF are we doing?

That's what I was looking for.

Looking at some of those names ON the list and the fact that English isn't even on it .... well, Tim, that's bloody awful.

bornadog
26-08-2021, 05:36 PM

Looking at some of those names ON the list and the fact that English isn't even on it .... well, Tim, that's bloody awful.

26 to 50

Tom De Koning (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-carlton-blues--tom-de-koning)
32 v GWS, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10517)

Paul Hunter (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-st-kilda-saints--paul-hunter)
16 v Fremantle, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10521)

Timothy English (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--timothy-english)
1 v Port Adelaide, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10523)

Lloyd Meek (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-fremantle-dockers--lloyd-meek)
27 v St Kilda, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10521)

Peter Ladhams (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-port-adelaide-power--peter-ladhams)
5 v Western Bulldogs, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10523)

Mark Blicavs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-geelong-cats--mark-blicavs)
5 v Melbourne, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10519)

Mabior Chol (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-richmond-tigers--mabior-chol)
4 v Hawthorn, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10520)

Tom Campbell (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-kangaroos--tom-campbell)
7 v Richmond, Round 21 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10502)

Luke Jackson (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-melbourne-demons--luke-jackson)
7 v Geelong, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10519)

Nathan Vardy (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-west-coast-eagles--nathan-vardy)
7 v Brisbane, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10516)

Peter Wright (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-essendon-bombers--peter-wright)
3 v Collingwood, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10518)

Chris Burgess (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-gold-coast-suns--chris-burgess)
9 v Sydney, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10522)

Bailey Williams (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-west-coast-eagles--bailey-williams-1)
8 v Adelaide, Round 18 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10478)

Joel Amartey (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-sydney-swans--joel-amartey)
13 v GWS, Round 18 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10473)

Sam Reid (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-sydney-swans--sam-reid-1)
2 v North Melbourne, Round 22 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10513)

Callum Coleman-Jones (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-richmond-tigers--callum-coleman-jones)
12 v Hawthorn, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10520)

Tristan Xerri (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-kangaroos--tristan-xerri)
8 v Geelong, Round 20 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10494)

Caleb Graham (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-gold-coast-suns--caleb-graham)
7 v Brisbane, Round 19 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10489)

Darcy Cameron (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-collingwood-magpies--darcy-cameron)
4 v Essendon, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10518)

Esava Ratugolea (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-geelong-cats--esava-ratugolea)
6 v St Kilda, Round 22 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10508)

Lewis Young (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--lewis-young)
13 v Port Adelaide, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10523)

Levi Casboult (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-carlton-blues--levi-casboult)
10 v GWS, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10517)

Charlie Dixon (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-port-adelaide-power--charlie-dixon)
6 v Western Bulldogs, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10523)

Rory Lobb (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-fremantle-dockers--rory-lobb)
0 v Geelong, Round 18 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10479)

The Bulldogs Bite
26-08-2021, 05:59 PM
26 to 50

Tom De Koning (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-carlton-blues--tom-de-koning)
32 v GWS, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10517)

Paul Hunter (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-st-kilda-saints--paul-hunter)
16 v Fremantle, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10521)

1 v Port Adelaide, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10523)

Lloyd Meek (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-fremantle-dockers--lloyd-meek)
27 v St Kilda, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10521)

Peter Ladhams (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-port-adelaide-power--peter-ladhams)
5 v Western Bulldogs, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10523)

Mark Blicavs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-geelong-cats--mark-blicavs)
5 v Melbourne, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10519)

4 v Hawthorn, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10520)

Tom Campbell (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-kangaroos--tom-campbell)
7 v Richmond, Round 21 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10502)

Luke Jackson (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-melbourne-demons--luke-jackson)
7 v Geelong, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10519)

Nathan Vardy (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-west-coast-eagles--nathan-vardy)
7 v Brisbane, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10516)

Peter Wright (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-essendon-bombers--peter-wright)
3 v Collingwood, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10518)

Chris Burgess (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-gold-coast-suns--chris-burgess)
9 v Sydney, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10522)

Bailey Williams (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-west-coast-eagles--bailey-williams-1)
8 v Adelaide, Round 18 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10478)

Joel Amartey (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-sydney-swans--joel-amartey)
13 v GWS, Round 18 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10473)

Sam Reid (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-sydney-swans--sam-reid-1)
2 v North Melbourne, Round 22 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10513)

Callum Coleman-Jones (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-richmond-tigers--callum-coleman-jones)
12 v Hawthorn, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10520)

Tristan Xerri (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-kangaroos--tristan-xerri)
8 v Geelong, Round 20 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10494)

Caleb Graham (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-gold-coast-suns--caleb-graham)
7 v Brisbane, Round 19 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10489)

Darcy Cameron (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-collingwood-magpies--darcy-cameron)
4 v Essendon, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10518)

Esava Ratugolea (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-geelong-cats--esava-ratugolea)
6 v St Kilda, Round 22 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10508)

Lewis Young (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--lewis-young)
13 v Port Adelaide, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10523)

Levi Casboult (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-carlton-blues--levi-casboult)
10 v GWS, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10517)

Charlie Dixon (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-port-adelaide-power--charlie-dixon)
6 v Western Bulldogs, Round 23 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10523)

Rory Lobb (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-fremantle-dockers--rory-lobb)
0 v Geelong, Round 18 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10479)

The fact that English is just about the only 'main ruck' on this list is deeply concerning.

Probably also says Ladhams isn't what we need.

comrade
26-08-2021, 06:02 PM
The fact that English is just about the only 'main ruck' on this list is deeply concerning.

Probably also says Ladhams isn't what we need.

You may be right about Ladhams, but he has Lycett take the bulk of the work. Timmy has been the main man for the past few months.

1eyedog
26-08-2021, 07:35 PM

It's hyper weird. He's what, 207cm and super athletic with great agility and a fantastic leap. I just don't get it. 207cm!

Vred
27-08-2021, 01:06 AM

Rank
Player
Team
Games
Hitouts for Last Game
Average

So your telling me we have a ''top 25'' ruck on our list and have refused to develop him?

Sigh....

jeemak
27-08-2021, 03:04 AM
So your telling me we have a ''top 25'' ruck on our list and have refused to develop him?

Sigh....

Are hit outs everything.........? Not sure those four hitouts a game that Sweet gets over the hitouts English gets make or break our success.

I've come to think that if Jordan Sweet doesn't play for the next two years he'll end up having the reputation of Gary Dempsey.

Mofra
27-08-2021, 09:30 AM
I've come to think that if Jordan Sweet doesn't play for the next two years he'll end up having the reputation of Gary Dempsey.
That is true of Bulldog players. The longer they don't play, the better they get.

For all we know Lewie Young has as much chance of making it as a ruck as Jordan Sweet. Sweet has the aggression and the tap contests, Lewie may have him covered around the ground. Both are still developing kids.

Given their age we could feasibly take a 1-2 year ruck option and it would suit us (as much as I would prefer a gun in their prime with 5+ years left)

azabob
27-08-2021, 10:17 AM
I've said this a few times there is no point chasing Ladhams, Chol, Max Lynch etc as they all seem way too similar to English and Young.

We need a genuine number 1 ruck who shows some physicality at the man and contest.

Players like Mumford, Marshall, Draper, Nank.

GWS seem to have the right mindset they have 3-4 big ruckman on their list all who like the physical side of the game.

Seriously, how good would Bontempelli be with a genuine ruck?

1eyedog
27-08-2021, 10:21 AM
I've said this a few times there is no point chasing Ladhams, Chol, Max Lynch etc as they all seem way too similar to English and Young.

We need a genuine number 1 ruck who shows some physicality at the man and contest.

Players like Mumford, Marshall, Draper, Nank.

GWS seem to have the right mindset they have 3-4 big ruckman on their list all who like the physical side of the game.

Seriously, how good would Bontempelli be with a genuine ruck?

Agreed they are the classic prototypes but, unfortunately, they're not Bevo types. How good would our midfield be with a dominant ruck?

bornadog
27-08-2021, 10:24 AM
Agreed they are the classic prototypes but, unfortunately, they're not Bevo types. How good would our midfield be with a dominant ruck?

No more hasbeens, we need a genuine good ruckman. How lucky are melbourne. Gawn is the ideal ruck.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-08-2021, 10:35 AM

Surely even as dog stubborn as Bevo is, he has to be starting to question his own method here? Sure - agile rucks like Dean Cox are great, but how many of them have we seen in the last 20 years?

It's bloody clear we need an intimidating ruck (Ben Hudson you were magnificent). Nic Nat would be great, but even one of GWS' big boys would be fine.

I refuse to believe that Bevo's tune can't be changing. And if it isn't, WTF is Chris Grant, Ameet Baines, Sam Power, every assistant coach, and EVERY midfielder doing when they talk to him!?

If I'm Marcus, I'm having a very real conversation with Bevo at the end of this year. GET. A. RUCK. If we pay overs, we pay overs. Just GET a quality ruck.

1eyedog
27-08-2021, 10:37 AM
No more hasbeens, we need a genuine good ruckman. How lucky are melbourne. Gawn is the ideal ruck.

Like who though? Chol, Ladhams, Lynch, Meek et al. are the names floating around.

bornadog
27-08-2021, 10:38 AM
Like who though? Chol, Ladhams, Lynch, Meek et al. are the names floating around.

All I am saying is no more 34/35 year olds

Mofra
27-08-2021, 10:57 AM
Kieran Strachan?
25 years old, 204cm, 103kgs, playing very well in the SANFL (probably the best performed SANFL ruck this year), stuck behind Reilly O'Brien at the crows. Wouldn't cost much.

Averaging 16 disposals and 36.5 hit outs in the SANFL

soupman
27-08-2021, 11:33 AM

This is copy pasted from the Stefan Martin thread, but relevant here.

We need at a minimum a ruck who:
-isn't a liability around the ground
-Is able to hold his own in the ruck so that the opposition don't get an advantage from that matchup.

It would be nice to have a matchwinner in there, but considering we have plonked our cash down on matchwinners in our midfield then we just need someone who can do their job.

Couple that with us not having the trade capital to go for one of the 6 genuinely good rucks, means that all we need is someone solid.

A few names that seem ball park to me and should be cheap are:
-Kieran Strachan. Big country lad from Bendigo. Played 3 games. Undertsudy to O'Brien who is locked in as the Crows ruck for basically forever. Seemed to cover the ground well. He is an ex rookie that should cost nothing, maybe the Lipinski pick at most.
-Rhys Stanley. Mobile and "athletic". Not an outstanding ruck but I believe is better at holing his own than our bunch, and I think a bit like Hickey could benefit from a fresh start where he the focus is on what he can do again. Would be free.
-Ben McEvoy. Old so maybe in danger of dying on field like Martin, but solid as hell, good ruckman who can push into defence. Not as atheltic as Stanley but a much better player and good in the air. Should be free.
-Jon Ceglar. Been a solid battler for ages. Can clunk a mark and isn't terrible around the ground although doesn't move very athletically. I think he holds his own in the ruck. Would be free.
-Matthew Flynn. Big boy that played a number of games this year. Can find the ball ok, although I don't think he is overly impressive with it. Decent in the hitout stakes, and is possibly surplus at GWS who have preferred Mumford to him at times and is competing with Briggs and Preuss should he ever return. Would basically be the most expensive of the rucks listed above, but again wouldn't cost much imo. Maybe a future second at most (which is really pick 30+)
-Peter Ladhams. Has been brought up a lot here. Not sure he is actually the hitout ruck we need, projects a bit like English in that he is a ruck forward who's worst feature is probably his hitouts. Better at that than Tim though, good link up player around the ground and can perform forward. Free agent.
-Max Lynch. I've honestly never seen him play but his limited numbers seem decent enough. Unsure what he is like in the other aspects of his game. Can't imagine he'd cost much.

There are a few other names that could be brought up like Chol, Williams, Goldstein, Coleman-Jones, Hayes but I don't know a heap about most of them.

1eyedog
27-08-2021, 11:38 AM
This is copy pasted from the Stefan Martin thread, but relevant here.

We need at a minimum a ruck who:
-isn't a liability around the ground
-Is able to hold his own in the ruck so that the opposition don't get an advantage from that matchup.

It would be nice to have a matchwinner in there, but considering we have plonked our cash down on matchwinners in our midfield then we just need someone who can do their job.

Couple that with us not having the trade capital to go for one of the 6 genuinely good rucks, means that all we need is someone solid.

A few names that seem ball park to me and should be cheap are:
-Kieran Strachan. Big country lad from Bendigo. Played 3 games. Undertsudy to O'Brien who is locked in as the Crows ruck for basically forever. Seemed to cover the ground well. He is an ex rookie that should cost nothing, maybe the Lipinski pick at most.
-Rhys Stanley. Mobile and "athletic". Not an outstanding ruck but I believe is better at holing his own than our bunch, and I think a bit like Hickey could benefit from a fresh start where he the focus is on what he can do again. Would be free.
-Ben McEvoy. Old so maybe in danger of dying on field like Martin, but solid as hell, good ruckman who can push into defence. Not as atheltic as Stanley but a much better player and good in the air. Should be free.
-Jon Ceglar. Been a solid battler for ages. Can clunk a mark and isn't terrible around the ground although doesn't move very athletically. I think he holds his own in the ruck. Would be free.
-Matthew Flynn. Big boy that played a number of games this year. Can find the ball ok, although I don't think he is overly impressive with it. Decent in the hitout stakes, and is possibly surplus at GWS who have preferred Mumford to him at times and is competing with Briggs and Preuss should he ever return. Would basically be the most expensive of the rucks listed above, but again wouldn't cost much imo. Maybe a future second at most (which is really pick 30+)
-Peter Ladhams. Has been brought up a lot here. Not sure he is actually the hitout ruck we need, projects a bit like English in that he is a ruck forward who's worst feature is probably his hitouts. Better at that than Tim though, good link up player around the ground and can perform forward. Free agent.
-Max Lynch. I've honestly never seen him play but his limited numbers seem decent enough. Unsure what he is like in the other aspects of his game. Can't imagine he'd cost much.

There are a few other names that could be brought up like Chol, Williams, Goldstein, Coleman-Jones, Hayes but I don't know a heap about most of them.

The only player in there better than Sweet / English is Ceglar. McEvoy is getting on now (33 next year) and Ceglar is late 20s. I'd be ok with Ceglar.

Lynch has shown promise but the sample size is small. Played one really solid game against Gawn but otherwise has struggled to make an impact around the ground. He's basically on-par with Sweet for mine. The rest are of unknown quality to me with the exception of Stanley, he's an upgrade on English but still a battler. I guess he's better than what we have.

bornadog
27-08-2021, 11:39 AM
The only player in there better than Sweet / English is Ceglar. McEvoy is getting on now (33 next year) and Ceglar is late 20s. I'd be ok with Ceglar.

Ceglar will be 31 in February

soupman
27-08-2021, 11:41 AM

I think they are all comfortably better than English in the ruck.

Strachan I rate and would be my preferred choice of that lot. Ceglar I've always kind of liked and would be content with.

soupman
27-08-2021, 11:41 AM

Like he said late 20s, just like me.

1eyedog
27-08-2021, 11:46 AM

Thought he was 29, still 31 is not old for a ruckman actually it's almost the prime age in terms of experience, strength and conditioning. We'd get three years out of him.

1eyedog
27-08-2021, 11:48 AM
I think they are all comfortably better than English in the ruck.

Strachan I rate and would be my preferred choice of that lot. Ceglar I've always kind of liked and would be content with.

Yes certainly better than English. As it stands we'll have one ruckman on the list at the end of this year and that needs to change.

bornadog
27-08-2021, 11:56 AM
Thought he was 29, still 31 is not old for a ruckman actually it's almost the prime age in terms of experience, strength and conditioning. We'd get three years out of him.

I agree, 31 is fine these days

Rocco Jones
27-08-2021, 01:17 PM
Issue with Stef wasn't just this age, it was body (I know that can be easily linked). Stef + another mature ruck would have been great.

For next year we have:
- Stef probably gone. If he is keen, we think the body can give us 7-10 games and he is happy to play for very little coin, I'd keep him on. Think his body is just going to get worse though. Basically there as a player coach if he can go.
- Sweet. Despite fan frustration with him now playing, he is progressing. He was raw AF and is getting closer. Hopefully with another pre-season he becomes the back up option next season.
- English 2nd ruck/fwd. Darcy there in the future. Lewy improving there as an option. I think the 2nd ruck/forward role is fine and we can really concentrate on a 1st ruck.

Hotdog60
12-09-2021, 02:23 PM
We have a very good core of players and are in a window for the next 5 years.
If you were a ruck in a team that is rebuilding would you not look at the Dogs as a club to go for if you wanted a chance at finals.
Martin may not go on next year and Sweet is your only opposition I would think we would look very attractive.

bulldogtragic
13-09-2021, 12:46 PM
We don’t have to do one or the other. But say we did...

1. Re-Rookie a young Sweet

2. Rookie List an old Martin. The new list rule this year is you can move a player automatically down from the Primary List to the Rookie List who is contracted for 2022+. It’s done between the National Draft & Rookie Draft. So we could sign Martin for 2022 and use this rule to automatically move him to the Rookie List without delisting him and then waiting around to re-sign him.

Assuming we get a younger First Ruck with English as the second ruck. Would you have on the Rookie List, Sweet or Martin? Or both?

Hotdog60
13-09-2021, 07:24 PM
Do we rookie Martin as Bevo puts it break glass and go all out on Sweet for half a season with Martin as his mentor and if Sweet doesn't show improvement then it's time to look elsewhere. We will have Darcy also under Martin's wing so that will also push Sweet along who will be 24 and should start playing like he belongs.

Twodogs
14-09-2021, 02:17 AM
We don’t have to do one or the other. But say we did...

1. Re-Rookie a young Sweet

2. Rookie List an old Martin. The new list rule this year is you can move a player automatically down from the Primary List to the Rookie List who is contracted for 2022+. It’s done between the National Draft & Rookie Draft. So we could sign Martin for 2022 and use this rule to automatically move him to the Rookie List without delisting him and then waiting around to re-sign him.

Assuming we get a younger First Ruck with English as the second ruck. Would you have on the Rookie List, Sweet or Martin? Or both?

Do we rookie Martin as Bevo puts it break glass and go all out on Sweet for half a season with Martin as his mentor and if Sweet doesn't show improvement then it's time to look elsewhere. We will have Darcy also under Martin's wing so that will also push Sweet along who will be 24 and should start playing like he belongs.

That's exactly what we should do. Extend Martin's contract and move him to the rookie list and keep him as a break glass option. That way he can coach or mentor Sweet, Darcy and English and we have a bit of flexibility on the main list to bring in another experienced ruckman or a ruck/forward.

jeemak
14-09-2021, 03:02 AM
I agree, 31 is fine these days

What about 42 sugar?

azabob
14-09-2021, 08:23 AM
What about 42 sugar?

Blend 43?

ReLoad
14-09-2021, 09:23 AM
Hindsight..... Bevo has finally realised how important the ruck situation is. What would '19 and '20 have been like had we acted then? would we be in an even better position now?

Im not sold on a dads army ruck approach, I think we need to outlay something decent to get someone decent, I think Mr Power will be really working his magic this off season.

hujsh
14-09-2021, 10:49 AM
Hindsight..... Bevo has finally realised how important the ruck situation is. What would '19 and '20 have been like had we acted then? would we be in an even better position now?

Im not sold on a dads army ruck approach, I think we need to outlay something decent to get someone decent, I think Mr Power will be really working his magic this off season.

We were gonna recruit that bloke from Port who got delisted (lucky for us it didn't happen) and I'm sure we've tried for others (Steph has apparently been a consistent target) so I'm not sure the above is fair. He clearly has an idea of what a ruckman is that fits this team but filling that role has been difficult.