PDA

View Full Version : Well Ruck Me.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Mofra
14-09-2021, 10:00 AM
We were gonna recruit that bloke from Port who got delisted (lucky for us it didn't happen) and I'm sure we've tried for others (Steph has apparently been a consistent target) so I'm not sure the above is fair. He clearly has an idea of what a ruckman is that fits this team but filling that role has been difficult.
Power has indicated we're going for a mature ruckman this year. BF has us linked with Flynn (terrible injury history) and Ceglar.
Neither excite me that much.

I really wanted Strachan (who just re-signed with the Crows) and still like Max Lynch who looks set to go to Hawthorn (hence Ceglar is available despite being contracted).
I still think we just have to ask the question of Nankervis. He'd be expensive but Richmond have a bunch of later 2021 picks so we could put our first rounder down and not cost much (if anything) in 2021 draft points.

bornadog
14-09-2021, 10:05 AM
Power has indicated we're going for a mature ruckman this year. BF has us linked with Flynn (terrible injury history) and Ceglar.
Neither excite me that much.

I really wanted Strachan (who just re-signed with the Crows) and still like Max Lynch who looks set to go to Hawthorn (hence Ceglar is available despite being contracted).
I still think we just have to ask the question of Nankervis. He'd be expensive but Richmond have a bunch of later 2021 picks so we could put our first rounder down and not cost much (if anything) in 2021 draft points.

Can't we convince Lynch ?

azabob
14-09-2021, 10:10 AM
Can't we convince Lynch ?

Lynch is an English clone. I don't see him being a physical presence and I would not be chasing him.

bornadog
14-09-2021, 10:12 AM
Lynch is an English clone. I don't see him being a physical presence and I would not be chasing him.

He has only played 3 games, so how do you work that out?

azabob
14-09-2021, 10:18 AM
He has only played 3 games, so how do you work that out?

By looking at him. He isn't tall for a ruckman I would suggest he weighs around the 100kg mark. Keep in mind he is already 23.

I don't see Lynch being the guy to solve our ruck issue in 2022 and 2023.

My preference is to get a physical ruckman like Nankervis, Mumford, Ben Hudson etc.

Mofra
14-09-2021, 10:21 AM
I see the opposite - he's purely a no 1 ruck, not a forward/ruck like English. I'd go so far as to wonder whether the fact he's 'only' a ruckman has warned us off him.

He's also an aerobic beast - in the top 5 at Collingwood for their 2km time trial so he can certainly cover the ground well, so he would fit in our system where the ruck has to roll back.

Yes he's only 200cm.... or in other words, slightly taller than Stef Martin or Nankervis

azabob
14-09-2021, 10:25 AM
I see the opposite - he's purely a no 1 ruck, not a forward/ruck like English. I'd go so far as to wonder whether the fact he's 'only' a ruckman has warned us off him.

He's also an aerobic beast - in the top 5 at Collingwood for their 2km time trial so he can certainly cover the ground well, so he would fit in our system where the ruck has to roll back.

Yes he's only 200cm.... or in other words, slightly taller than Stef Martin or Nankervis

Good snapshot of Lynch.

Martin and Nankervis do not get pushed around in the ruck contest that is my concern with Lynch.

comrade
14-09-2021, 10:50 AM
My preference is to get a physical ruckman like Nankervis, Mumford, Ben Hudson etc.

Team Beefcake.

Mofra
14-09-2021, 11:05 AM
Martin and Nankervis do not get pushed around in the ruck contest that is my concern with Lynch.
Where do we rate Ceglar on that score? He seems the most likely pick up for us.

I have to admit, Ceglar seems 'just ok' to me but I struggle to get too enthusiastic. A definite upgrade on a raw Lewie Young, Sweet and as a pure ruckman English (who I think is a brilliant forward/ruck). He's be 31 at the start of next year so I assume he'll get a 2 year deal, or a 1 + 1.
Apart from 19 games in 2016 he's never managed more than 15 games in a season either.

Axe Man
14-09-2021, 11:09 AM

I have to admit, Ceglar seems 'just ok' to me but I struggle to get too enthusiastic. A definite upgrade on a raw Lewie Young, Sweet and as a pure ruckman English (who I think is a brilliant forward/ruck). He's be 31 at the start of next year so I assume he'll get a 2 year deal, or a 1 + 1.
Apart from 19 games in 2016 he's never managed more than 15 games in a season either.

Ceglar seems to me like a player that can approximate what Stef can do and we have seen how much better we are with Stef in the ruck.

As an added bonus he's not totally useless forward either. I would be happy to give him 2 years if he's the best available option.

azabob
14-09-2021, 02:36 PM

Agree Ceglar is no world beater but he is equal to what Martin can offer and a definite upgrade on our other options.

Hopefully Sam Power has some big fish on the hook who is 25 and ready to go!

Rucks are so important and they are rare as hens teeth.

bornadog
14-09-2021, 03:29 PM
BRISBANE RUCKMAN REQUESTS A TRADE (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/09/14/brisbane-ruckman-requests-a-trade/)

Brisbane ruckman Archie Smith has made the decision to depart the football club.

The 26-year-old has requested a trade after struggling to break into the Lions’ best 22. story continuers in link

Any interest? I know nothing about him

Mofra
14-09-2021, 03:45 PM
BRISBANE RUCKMAN REQUESTS A TRADE (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/09/14/brisbane-ruckman-requests-a-trade/)

Brisbane ruckman Archie Smith has made the decision to depart the football club.

The 26-year-old has requested a trade after struggling to break into the Lions’ best 22. story continuers in link

Any interest? I know nothing about him
Are we set on a brute? This guy is one of the best 200cm+ athletes in the competition but isn't a 'brute'.
I think he's got no forwardcraft whatsoever but (mentioned elsewhere) I'd take him before Mason Cox, Chol, or any other 'free' ruck going around.

FWIW footywire lists him as an RFA so he would cost nothing but cap. Stef Martin would know him very well.

bornadog
14-09-2021, 03:51 PM
Are we set on a brute? This guy is one of the best 200cm+ athletes in the competition but isn't a 'brute'.
I think he's got no forwardcraft whatsoever but (mentioned elsewhere) I'd take him before Mason Cox, Chol, or any other 'free' ruck going around.

FWIW footywire lists him as an RFA so he would cost nothing but cap. Stef Martin would know him very well.

We need a good tap ruckman and if he can do that, why not.

Mofra
14-09-2021, 03:55 PM
We need a good tap ruckman and if he can do that, why not.
I can't find the VFL stats from this year. In the NEAFL in 2019 he was regularly getting in the 30s and 40s for hit-outs, and he had 30 hit-outs on debut in 2016.

I think he's the type that would cover the ground pretty well and would certainly be ahead of Sweet in the pecking order.
Would we take Ceglar and Smith? If we acknowledge that English is a forward moreso than ruck, we're left next year with a crumbling Stef Martin perhaps, a raw Sweet, and a beanpole Sam Darcy who many think is a better KPD anyway and who will be nowhere near ready for AFL.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-09-2021, 05:44 PM
Smith is pretty damn ordinary IMO.

Would rather Sweet, or even Cox - the latter has done more on an AFL ground than Smith ever has.

Happy Days
14-09-2021, 05:59 PM
English’s best rucking game for the year was against Brisbane. Smith is behind the guy who is behind the guy who English beat.

bulldogtragic
14-09-2021, 07:18 PM
Reporting tonight Chol to GCS, 3 years and trigger for a 4th.

Coleman-Jones wants to ruck. North offering 5 years and up to $450,000.

Richmond are going to have one hell of a draft hand.

comrade
14-09-2021, 07:24 PM

CJ wants to ruck but is going to a club with Goldy still going ok. Interesting.

bulldogtragic
14-09-2021, 07:26 PM

They mentioned something like initially learn from Goldy. Then take over from him.

North landing a trade despite offer more years/money. History says don’t bet on it just yet.

Mofra
14-09-2021, 08:50 PM

Richmond have a truckload of late picks too, more than they will have list spots....

I think we'll cover a Sam Darcy bid just fine

Mofra
14-09-2021, 08:52 PM
I don't see a no 1 ruckman in CCJ. A forward/ruck yes, but I expect Xerri will takeover from Goldy when that day comes.
CCJ will play every game for them next year. Comben is good but striggles to stay on the paddock.

Vred
23-09-2021, 08:50 AM
Stefan Martin has come out this morning saying he wants to play on next year.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2021, 08:53 AM

Rookie list if we want to grant him that, is my take.

azabob
23-09-2021, 08:54 AM

Bro, do you really reckon at 6.50am he has announced he wants to play on in 2022? He'd still be asleep! :D

Vred
23-09-2021, 09:01 AM
Bro, do you really reckon at 6.50am he has announced he wants to play on in 2022? He'd still be asleep! :D

I work permanent night shift, everything is a blur to me. All I know is it's being reported this morning :cool:

bornadog
23-09-2021, 09:08 AM
I work permanent night shift, everything is a blur to me. All I know is it's being reported this morning :cool:

He is about to play 199, so may want to get over the 200.

1eyedog
23-09-2021, 09:15 AM
He's so critical I'd give him a spot. Reckon he can play 15 games next year. Remember Ceglar's best is 14 so he's no upgrade.

Axe Man
23-09-2021, 09:51 AM
MARTIN KEEN TO GO AGAIN (https://www.afl.com.au/news/679559/big-dog-hungry-for-more-demon-backflip-tiger-lifeline-extended)

AS HE shapes as a key player in the Western Bulldogs' Grand Final chances on Saturday, ruckman Stef Martin says he is determined to play on in 2022.

Martin joined the Bulldogs last year on a one-year deal with a trigger for a second season, although injuries will mean he doesn't reach that mark.

However the former Demon and Brisbane big man, who will turn 35 in November, said he wants to continue his career into a 15th AFL season.

"I am desperately keen to play on next year. I even was when the injuries were hanging around, I was optimistic it would all come good and I would get it right eventually I just had to bide a bit more time," Martin told AFL.com.au.

"I would love nothing more than to be around the Dogs next year, that's very much on my agenda."

Martin was dogged by a groin injury that threatened to end his season mid-year but he made a recovery in time to be selected for the Dogs' preliminary final win over Port Adelaide.

He will face off against former teammate Max Gawn in a ruck contest that will have a big bearing in this weekend's Grand Final at Optus Stadium. It will be Martin's ninth game of this season, and the 199th game of his career. - Callum Twomey

The Bulldogs Bite
23-09-2021, 09:55 AM
I'd keep him on for a year. His ruck craft is excellent and the likes of English, Sweet (if we keep him) and Darcy (plus others) can learn a lot from him.

No reason that if he's going well, we manage him like GWS did with Mumford.

Testekill
23-09-2021, 03:06 PM
Keep Martin around for another year and use him as a playing ruck coach, just bring in someone else to take the bulk of the work.

bornadog
23-09-2021, 04:21 PM
Keep Martin around for another year and use him as a playing ruck coach, just bring in someone else to take the bulk of the work.

That is what I would do.

boydogs
23-09-2021, 07:49 PM
He can barely get off the ground or pull up when he's at full tilt, he's done, its only through guile and lack of options that he's getting a game

GVGjr
24-09-2021, 08:11 AM

I think we should be happy with that news. We just need to find another ruckman to assist with depth.

Mofra
28-09-2021, 01:00 PM
Jon Ralph tweeting hard on the Ceglar bandwagon today. Had a blinder last 5 games (granted one of those was against us) and suggesting he's our answer.

kruder
28-09-2021, 01:08 PM
Jon Ralph tweeting hard on the Ceglar bandwagon today. Had a blinder last 5 games (granted one of those was against us) and suggesting he's our answer.

Ceglar is a solid citizen for sure, he does struggle to stay on the park that's the big question mark.

Mofra
28-09-2021, 01:13 PM
Ceglar is a solid citizen for sure, he does struggle to stay on the park that's the big question mark.
That's my concern too. His highest games tally is 19, then 15 games twice. He managed 12 games this year.
If we do get Ceglar we'd have to look at a younger developing ruck too, especially if we don't see a future for Sweet.

Axe Man
28-09-2021, 01:18 PM
That's my concern too. His highest games tally is 19, then 15 games twice. He managed 12 games this year.
If we do get Ceglar we'd have to look at a younger developing ruck too, especially if we don't see a future for Sweet.

I'm not sure what his injury history is like but at times this year they preferred to get some games into Reeves when Ceglar was perfectly fit. There may not be any major injury concerns.

Scraggers
29-09-2021, 04:25 PM
He can barely get off the ground or pull up when he's at full tilt, he's done, its only through guile and lack of options that he's getting a game

Agree with this.

Mofra
30-09-2021, 12:25 PM
Collingwood sound really non-committal on Cox:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/09/30/collingwood-provides-updates-on-cox-sier-lynch-de-goey-moore-and-maynard/

Axe Man
30-09-2021, 12:46 PM
Callum Sinclair has re-signed with the Swans.

bornadog
30-09-2021, 01:01 PM
Collingwood sound really non-committal on Cox:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/09/30/collingwood-provides-updates-on-cox-sier-lynch-de-goey-moore-and-maynard/

Would you offer him a role?

bulldogtragic
01-10-2021, 06:50 PM
Afel.com

EAGLES CHASE A SWEET DEAL

WEST Coast has sounded out Western Bulldogs ruckman Jordon Sweet.

It's understood the Eagles are chasing ruck depth during this year's Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period and have asked the question of Sweet, who is surveying his options after a frustrating year at the Whitten Oval.

The Bulldogs have tabled an offer to Sweet and remain confident that he will extend his deal beyond 2021, but a decision on his future will come after a season where he managed just five senior games despite Stefan Martin's injury issues.

Sweet was held out of the Bulldogs' team late in the season as the side chased a top-four spot, with versatile 201cm youngster Lewis Young instead preferred in the ruck for its finals against Essendon and Brisbane.

West Coast is searching for a long-term successor to 31-year-old star Nic Naitanui, with premiership ruckman Nathan Vardy announcing his retirement last month. The club also has promising 21-year-olds Callum Jamieson and Bailey Williams listed.

It's led to a potential move for Sweet, who is also understood to have interest from rival clubs in Victoria and is still seen as an important part of the Western Bulldogs' future ruck plans.

Dogs veteran Martin, who turns 35 next month, is hopeful of playing on next season after managing just nine games in his maiden season at the club. Tim English has been used predominantly as a forward, while Young is attracting interest elsewhere. – Riley Beveridge and Mitch Cleary

bulldogsthru&thru
01-10-2021, 07:04 PM
Geez if we lose both Sweet and Young, we’ll be really thing for rucks. Surely we’ve got a plan.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2021, 07:07 PM
Geez if we lose both Sweet and Young, we’ll be really thing for rucks. Surely we’ve got a plan.

The plan is to ignore it. Good rucks don’t change grand finals.

Sweet should probably take an offer if he’s got two years on the primary list offered with NN and Vardy done by then.

EasternWest
01-10-2021, 07:16 PM
The plan is to ignore it. Good rucks don’t change grand finals.

Ouch. Too soon man.

comrade
02-10-2021, 05:08 PM
West Coast know a bit about decent ruckmen, if they’re keen on Sweet we shouldn’t be letting him go under any circumstances.

LostDog
03-10-2021, 03:05 PM
Wowsers

Vred
03-10-2021, 03:11 PM
West Coast know a bit about decent ruckmen, if they’re keen on Sweet we shouldn’t be letting him go under any circumstances.

My thoughts exactly, if West Coast are chasing him that says something to me.

Mofra
03-10-2021, 03:28 PM
My thoughts exactly, if West Coast are chasing him that says something to me.
I don't think we should panic-sign Sweet based on anther club's desire to list him as a back-up.
If he has a big pre-season he might be a 'first back up' ruck but the rule of 'the longer a player doesn't play, the better they get' seems to be true when it comes to Sweet.

macca
03-10-2021, 04:58 PM
I don't think we should panic-sign Sweet based on anther club's desire to list him as a back-up.
If he has a big pre-season he might be a 'first back up' ruck but the rule of 'the longer a player doesn't play, the better they get' seems to be true when it comes to Sweet.

Vardy eventually delivered in that GF 2018 season, but before hand he was threatening to enter eker status, with Geelong , 25 games over 5 years

Vardy played 22 games in 2017, but they must be good as surprisingly, Lycette only played 1 game for 2017, and Nic Nat Zero

its kinda got all the Vardy signs here. He could play all 22 games next year as 2nd ruck with Nic Nat on the park.

Lycett has been injured and in and out of the Power side.

Point is durable ruckman are unique like GoldStein/Grudy/Gawn . They get injured and for long periods, in and out of a side.

Mofra
03-10-2021, 05:04 PM
Vardy eventually delivered in that GF 2018 season, but before hand he was threatening to enter eker status, with Geelong , 25 games over 5 years

Vardy played 22 games in 2017, but they must be good as surprisingly, Lycette only played 1 game for 2017, and Nic Nat Zero

its kinda got all the Vardy signs here. He could play all 22 games next year as 2nd ruck with Nic Nat on the park.

Lycett has been injured and in and out of the Power side.

Point is durable ruckman are unique like GoldStein/Grudy/Gawn . They get injured and for long periods, in and out of a side.
Bailey Williams' development would be their priority, if they can hold onto him. Seems more mobile than Sweet

Danjul
03-10-2021, 05:12 PM

The problem with this is the Dogs have spent at least 5 years proving that they neither know what a ruckman is nor what to do with them anyway.

comrade
03-10-2021, 05:19 PM
WC managed to turn Vardy into a premiership ruckman. As a club, they identify and utilise big men better than most. If they identify Sweet as a talent worth investing in, even as a back up, we should not let him go given how dire our stocks are. Would be absolute insanity.

Bulldog Joe
03-10-2021, 06:48 PM
WC managed to turn Vardy into a premiership ruckman. As a club, they identify and utilise big men better than most. If they identify Sweet as a talent worth investing in, even as a back up, we should not let him go given how dire our stocks are. Would be absolute insanity.

I think we have an issue with not placing any value on rucks ever since Bevo took over.

Bevo wants a Dean Cox tall midfielder and forsakes hitouts and even an ability to negate the opposition for someone who might take a mark on the wing.

I believe our ruck development (English and Sweet particularly) has been compromised by the attitude from the top.

We have all come to the conclusion that English can't make it as a No 1 ruck, but is his inability to develop into the role due to the coach preferring him to be a tall midfielder.

1eyedog
03-10-2021, 08:13 PM
English lacks desperation, any mongrel and competitiveness. Most ruckman have one or more of these traits. English has none. It's a sad fact and one that was probably known when we drafted him but we probably thought this would develop, plus his height and skills were very appealing.

I'm more convinced than ever that you can't coach competitiveness.

Bulldog Joe
04-10-2021, 08:01 AM
English lacks desperation, any mongrel and competitiveness. Most ruckman have one or more of these traits. English has none. It's a sad fact and one that was probably known when we drafted him but we probably thought this would develop, plus his height and skills were very appealing.

I'm more convinced than ever that you can't coach competitiveness.

This may well be the case, but my life experience is that you can learn behaviour and competitiveness is a behaviour.

I understand it comes more naturally to some, but that doesn't mean it cannot be learnt.

We have not developed confidence in Tim and confidence helps.

bornadog
04-10-2021, 08:27 AM
This may well be the case, but my life experience is that you can learn behaviour and competitiveness is a behaviour.

I understand it comes more naturally to some, but that doesn't mean it cannot be learnt.

We have not developed confidence in Tim and confidence helps.

I think he lost some confidence after being concussed. He started the year quiet well, but you can see in packs, he is expecting a hit and not going for the ball as hard as he was.

Mofra
04-10-2021, 08:40 AM
Ceglar:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/10/03/contracted-hawthorn-ruckman-looking-for-a-new-club/

Jonathon Ceglar is looking for a new club as Hawthorn’s rebuild gathers steam.

Ceglar is contracted until the end of 2022 – the last year of a three-year deal signed in 2019 - but has been asked to explore opportunities elsewhere.

The 30-year-old ruckman finished the season strongly, but now looks likely to make way as new Hawks coach Sam Mitchell hunts a stronger foothold in this year’s draft.

Hawthorn has picks 5, 21, 24, 56 and 62, yet has been bullish about its desire to replenish its stocks any way it can.

The Hawks also have an interest in opportunity-starved Collingwood big man Max Lynch, 23. Unlike Hawthorn, Collingwood is chasing later picks in the draft to absorb an early bid on father-on Nick Daicos.

The Pie Man
04-10-2021, 08:57 AM
Ceglar:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/10/03/contracted-hawthorn-ruckman-looking-for-a-new-club/

Mentions that it’s accepted we’ll sign Stef again….so…are we *really* in the market for another ruck?

Mofra
04-10-2021, 09:19 AM
Mentions that it’s accepted we’ll sign Stef again….so…are we *really* in the market for another ruck?
Well Ceglar plays an average of a dozen or so games, and Stef on a rookie list makes sense as a ruck coach if we have a young enough ruck on the list worth coaching and might play a few if his body is ok.

I'd still want at least one developing kid on the list as well.

bornadog
04-10-2021, 09:27 AM
Sam Darcy?

Mofra
04-10-2021, 09:42 AM
Sam Darcy?
I'm not convinced he's a ruck/forward TBH.
Some scouts prefer him as an intercepting KPD.

bornadog
04-10-2021, 09:44 AM
I'm not convinced he's a ruck/forward TBH.
Some scouts prefer him as an intercepting KPD.

That would be good

comrade
04-10-2021, 09:59 AM
Well Ceglar plays an average of a dozen or so games, and Stef on a rookie list makes sense as a ruck coach if we have a young enough ruck on the list worth coaching and might play a few if his body is ok.

Ceglar, Sweet, English and Martin as a rookie. That would just about be enough coverage wouldn’t it?

Rocco Jones
04-10-2021, 10:31 AM
Ceglar, Sweet, English and Martin as a rookie. That would just about be enough coverage wouldn’t it?

It would beat what we had this year.

Ceglar- hopefully play 60%+ of games
Stef- even if he can get through 25-30% of the games to cover + mentor would definitely be worth a spot
Sweet- another year of maturing, hopefully at level where he is decent/enough for Bevo to trust
English- not sure English ever gets there as a R1 but another year of development

Just need Ceglar and Sweet to coordinate their injuries! Have Stef a bit like Mummy at GWS.

The Pie Man
04-10-2021, 11:42 AM

Agree with all that, just wondering what our reality is if we intend to give Stef another year and hope that Sweet stays.

I think Ceglar would be a solid addition - if both were fit, I’d consider play him with Stef and let Chili fight it out with Ceglar for the 2nd ruck role

Mofra
04-10-2021, 01:35 PM
Agree with all that, just wondering what our reality is if we intend to give Stef another year and hope that Sweet stays.

I think Ceglar would be a solid addition - if both were fit, I’d consider play him with Stef and let Chili fight it out with Ceglar for the 2nd ruck role
I'm not sure English stays if he started getting pushed back to VFL level.
I'm not convinced Martin can stay on the paddock. He had a bunch of issues this year and wasn't getting off the ground much in the GF.

Rocco Jones
04-10-2021, 01:51 PM
I would not play Stef and Ceglar together. I'd nurse the one not play through. Try to have one ready to play each week. The other one can rest or play restricted minutes in the VFL (more for Stef, ramp up if Ceglar playing a lot).

1eyedog
04-10-2021, 03:00 PM
Ceglar's a plodder and I don't like ruck's that have done an ACL. What he provides over English and Sweet and probably a 35 year old Martin is he knows his limitations and is good at halving contests. Getting Ceglar won't mean we win more games directly because we have him but it may help us to ensure that opposition rucks don't completely pull our pants down which has happened repeatedly over the past 3 years. At least Ceglar is ruckman size and can ruck.

Weren't Brisbane into him a few years ago?

Axe Man
04-10-2021, 03:04 PM
Ceglar's a plodder and I don't like ruck's that have done an ACL.

Like Gawn and Nic Nat?

1eyedog
04-10-2021, 03:23 PM
Like Gawn and Nic Nat?

Two freaks and in the best handful of players in the comp. All I'm saying is that I don't trust his body. I'd much prefer we target a younger ruckman with a shorter injury history.

The Pie Man
04-10-2021, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure English stays if he started getting pushed back to VFL level.
I'm not convinced Martin can stay on the paddock. He had a bunch of issues this year and wasn't getting off the ground much in the GF.

Agree, Tim would likely explore his options if he wasn’t getting games - in the scenario I present, it’s unlikely to be most weeks given the injury history of both of the older guys, so I’d expect Tim to play…still worth exploring though.

If Stef accepts the rookie / break glass in case of emergency role than I reckon Ceglar could be really good for us.

Axe Man
04-10-2021, 03:44 PM
Two freaks and in the best handful of players in the comp. All I'm saying is that I don't trust his body. I'd much prefer we target a younger ruckman with a shorter injury history.

I asked about Ceglar's injury history somewhere but not sure it was ever answered? I know he hasn't played full seasons but I was wondering if it was injury or selection related. I don't think he had too many injury worries this year, I think mostly he missed games due to Reeves being preferred at times.

A younger ruckman is good in theory but there aren't too many available, particularly at a cheap price and someone like Lynch is totally unproven and may be no better than Sweet.

Mofra
04-10-2021, 03:55 PM
A younger ruckman is good in theory but there aren't too many available, particularly at a cheap price and someone like Lynch is totally unproven and may be no better than Sweet.
Max Lynch played against Gawn, just as Sweet did. The results were vastly different.
Personally I think Lynch is a significant upgrade on Sweet and I'm perplexed at why we aren't even considering him, let alone going hard to get him across.

Axe Man
04-10-2021, 03:58 PM
Max Lynch played against Gawn, just as Sweet did. The results were vastly different.
Personally I think Lynch is a significant upgrade on Sweet and I'm perplexed at why we aren't even considering him, let alone going hard to get him across.

Tell me more, I've never heard that game discussed. ;)

It's just too small a sample size, Lynch might be a player or he might not, I've got no clue about him. However he would be a bit of a swing and hope and I think our current premiership window dictates a different approach.

bornadog
04-10-2021, 04:04 PM

It's just too small a sample size, Lynch might be a player or he might not, I've got no clue about him. However he would be a bit of a swing and hope and I think our current premiership window dictates a different approach.

He has only played 3 games. 2 this year and one last.

Description
Date
Opponent
Result
K
HB
D
M
G
B
T
HO
GA
I50
CL
CG
R50
FF
FA
AF
SC

Round 13
Jun 14
Demons (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-melbourne-demons)
Win 80-63 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10432)

Round 12
Jun 5
Crows (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-adelaide-crows)
Win 78-73 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10429)

Last years game he had 2 disposals, and 2 hitouts

Mofra
04-10-2021, 04:06 PM

I think there's room for both Lynch and Ceglar. Ceglar's never played a full season so Lynch will get games and it seems like a perfectly lined up succession plan. Set & forget.

I have to admit being seduced somewhat by Lynch's running capacity for a big guy and how well that would appear to fit into our gameplan.

1eyedog
04-10-2021, 04:19 PM
I think there's room for both Lynch and Ceglar. Ceglar's never played a full season so Lynch will get games and it seems like a perfectly lined up succession plan. Set & forget.

I have to admit being seduced somewhat by Lynch's running capacity for a big guy and how well that would appear to fit into our gameplan.

I feel very much the same about Ladhams. I really like his aggression and follow up work. Whether he can ruck is another matter but he's big enough and, even though he's played a dozen more games than Draper I see the same sort of aggression. Teams are moving more and more towards the Jackson, Marshall, Draper and potentialy Ladhams type ruckman. Big, omnipresent and aggressive. And he wants to ruck.

Sydney being interested in him has raised my eyebrows.

1eyedog
04-10-2021, 04:32 PM
I feel very much the same about Ladhams. I really like his aggression and follow up work. Whether he can ruck is another matter but he's big enough and, even though he's played a dozen more games than Draper I see the same sort of aggression. Teams are moving more and more towards the Jackson, Marshall, Draper and potentialy Ladhams type ruckman. Big, omnipresent and aggressive. And he wants to ruck.

Sydney being interested in him has raised my eyebrows.

That said I'm sure we'll miss out or we're not interested and hindsight will say we've dodged a bullet.

Mofra
05-10-2021, 09:01 AM
Interesting that St Kilda have made enquiries about Tristan Xerri.
Has shown signs but was never getting much time ahead of Goldy at North and now North have got CCJ.

OOC 2022 but a developing type. Has played a bit of forward/second ruck at AFL level but is much more of a no 1 ruck type.

Grantysghost
05-10-2021, 09:13 AM
Interesting that St Kilda have made enquiries about Tristan Xerri.
Has shown signs but was never getting much time ahead of Goldy at North and now North have got CCJ.

OOC 2022 but a developing type. Has played a bit of forward/second ruck at AFL level but is much more of a no 1 ruck type.

He's not rated that highly by North fans, I'm Sergeant Schultz with this guy he's a good age.

Seems like a good time to be a ruck man. They're going to the moon!

comrade
05-10-2021, 09:45 AM
He's not rated that highly by North fans, I'm Sergeant Schultz with this guy he's a good age.

Seems like a good time to be a ruck man. They're going to the moon!

A very apt description!

Ruckmen are like crypto. Some turn out to be Bitcoin, most are just shitcoins.

bornadog
05-10-2021, 09:51 AM
A very apt description!

Is that you Bevo :D

Grantysghost
05-10-2021, 10:07 AM
A very apt description!

Rucks together strong!

The Pie Man
05-10-2021, 10:15 AM
From Ryan Daniels yesterday: assuming he’s right about the rookie offer to Sweet, you’d think he’s gone.

The @WestCoastEagles interest in @westernbulldogs ruck Jordon Sweet is real, but not a priority.

Sweet has a 1-year deal on the table from the Dogs, but it's a rookie spot. If he turns it down, he'll likely end up at West Coast providing depth in the ruck

EasternWest
05-10-2021, 11:23 AM
From Ryan Daniels yesterday: assuming he’s right about the rookie offer to Sweet, you’d think he’s gone.

The @WestCoastEagles interest in @westernbulldogs ruck Jordon Sweet is real, but not a priority.

What a casual backhander.

That being said, two years on a senior list vs one on a rookie for a fringe players is a no brainer.

Dancin' Douggy
05-10-2021, 12:25 PM
CCJ deal isn’t done yet. Hope we’re hovering like vultures. Who would you rather play for right now. Dogs or Roos?

1eyedog
05-10-2021, 12:56 PM
Rory Lobb potentially on the move again with one club interested, yikes.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/department-of-trade/afl-trade-news-whispers-rumours-2021-rory-lobb-departing-fremantle-shopped-to-rival-clubs-suitors-whos-interested-will-brodie-fremantle-jarrod-brander-carlton/news-story/4e3a78c4b34c1ec1d2dd4e935ff36fba

kruder
05-10-2021, 01:09 PM

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/department-of-trade/afl-trade-news-whispers-rumours-2021-rory-lobb-departing-fremantle-shopped-to-rival-clubs-suitors-whos-interested-will-brodie-fremantle-jarrod-brander-carlton/news-story/4e3a78c4b34c1ec1d2dd4e935ff36fba

Just goes through the motions Lobb, one of the more disappointing players in the comp.

EasternWest
05-10-2021, 01:17 PM

Seems like an absolute tool, looks like George McFly. Do not want.

Mofra
05-10-2021, 01:22 PM
I don't know him personally, but at $700k pa you'd want a player with less of a gap between their best and worst football.
Great when he's on, terrible when he's not. Contrast that to Naughton's efforts and it's a stark difference.

Cyberdoggie
05-10-2021, 02:09 PM
I'd prefer goldstein for a year or two if the cost isn't high.

Apparently he's prepared to take a second string role to accomodate the kid from Richmond.

Don't forget we are looking at getting a forward ruck in Sam Darcy, we also have a forward ruck in English, we have Schache, Bruce, Naughton and JUH to fit in in the future.

Ideally English and Darcy will be the rucks switching forward 50/50 in the future. I dont' see Martin holding up much longer and he failed to compete adequately against the top two rucks in the comp. Goldstein can compete and would be a perfect fit for us at the right price.

Grantysghost
05-10-2021, 02:12 PM
He is our density.

chef
05-10-2021, 02:32 PM
He'll always be the guy who pretended to do up his shoelaces after he tripped himself up in the Prelim.

jeemak
05-10-2021, 02:47 PM

Does he look more like the Crispin Glover version or the Jeffrey Weissman with a fake chin and hanging upside down version?

G-Mo77
05-10-2021, 02:55 PM

It's not just me then. Every time I see him I think of George McFly.

Grantysghost
05-10-2021, 03:10 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/6pb0qk6p/Screenshot-20211005-150358-Google.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/c4ZTb750/Screenshot-20211005-150559-Samsung-Internet.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

EasternWest
05-10-2021, 03:37 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/6pb0qk6p/Screenshot-20211005-150358-Google.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/c4ZTb750/Screenshot-20211005-150559-Samsung-Internet.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Nailed it.

EasternWest
05-10-2021, 03:38 PM
Does he look more like the Crispin Glover version or the Jeffrey Weissman with a fake chin and hanging upside down version?

Pfft. Hardly deserves a response. There can be only one.

bornadog
05-10-2021, 03:40 PM

My wife absolutely can't stand him and the other one was Patton.

Scraggers
05-10-2021, 03:40 PM
Loving the BTTF references. Made me laugh out loud for reals.

EasternWest
05-10-2021, 04:01 PM
My wife absolutely can't stand him and the other one was Patton.

What was her problem? Was it his miniscule head?
https://i.postimg.cc/0NL0y8zX/When-Guy-Tiny-Head-Gave-Me-Nonstop-Nightmares.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Bulldog4life
05-10-2021, 04:02 PM

We might be?

jazzadogs
05-10-2021, 06:14 PM
Port are valuing Ladhams at a first round pick. I'm comfortable passing on that, as long as we get in one of Ceglar or Lynch.

Is a Lipinski for Lynch straight swap fair?

ratsmac
05-10-2021, 09:25 PM

Me too. The resemblance is uncanny that you could say that it's actually the same person. But of course the time lines don't line up to be him unless he had access to a time machine...wait what

Axe Man
06-10-2021, 12:38 PM
Geelong have confirmed they are interested in Ceglar if Fort moves to Brisbane.

Vred
06-10-2021, 12:44 PM
With Port getting Finlayson hopefully they'll give up Ladhams easier

bornadog
06-10-2021, 01:00 PM

They want a first rounder for Ladhams. Hawks have pulled out.

azabob
06-10-2021, 01:02 PM

Is Ladhams physical and strong enough for a number 1 ruck?

soupman
06-10-2021, 02:26 PM
Is Ladhams physical and strong enough for a number 1 ruck?

Not imo. He is similiar to English in that he covers the ground well and can find the ball, but is not a dominant hitout ruck.

I do think he is better than English in the ruck, and is more aggressive although lacks the size to do much with it. English is more talented around the ground and more composed with ball in hand.

I'd rate Ladhams as a 6/10 in hitouts (English is maybe a 3).

Mofra
06-10-2021, 02:56 PM
Ladhams is more aggressive and quite mobile. The building blocks are there but it seems other clubs aren't chasing him particularly hard. I do wonder if the off-field rumours are putting other clubs off.

1eyedog
06-10-2021, 02:58 PM
Not imo. He is similiar to English in that he covers the ground well and can find the ball, but is not a dominant hitout ruck.

I do think he is better than English in the ruck, and is more aggressive although lacks the size to do much with it. English is more talented around the ground and more composed with ball in hand.

I'd rate Ladhams as a 6/10 in hitouts (English is maybe a 3).

Ladhams is plenty big enough for a number 1 ruck role and has only played 20 something games behind Lycett. I agree he's not worth a first rounder but is Port Adelaide posturing here? I'm not sure what we have that could satisfy them but surely a second rounder is reasonable. I wonder if we've spoken to him.

divvydan
06-10-2021, 06:13 PM
Being reported that Sweet will stay on a 2 year deal.

jazzadogs
06-10-2021, 06:14 PM
Jon Ralph reporting that we will keep Sweet on a multi-year deal - which to me indicates that he must be getting upgraded to the main list?

It could be a good result if he is upgraded, we bring in a Ceglar or Lynch, and Stef is downgraded to a rookie spot.

dog town
06-10-2021, 06:23 PM
Xerri has requested a trade to Stkilda.

comrade
06-10-2021, 06:30 PM

Sanity prevails.

G-Mo77
06-10-2021, 06:49 PM

Oh hallelujah!!!

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2021, 06:51 PM
If Sweet is staying, it would seem unlikely we'll go for Lynch.

I don't know anything about Lynch but on profile it sounds like he would be worth discussing.

Would we prefer Lynch or Ceglar? I would have said both and lose Sweet, but if the latter is staying it seems one or the other. Ceglar likely to give us more in 2022, but beyond that?

1eyedog
06-10-2021, 07:22 PM

Good obvioiusly been told he's gonna have sufficient ruck minutes to keep him next year.

azabob
06-10-2021, 07:25 PM

I don't know anything about Lynch but on profile it sounds like he would be worth discussing.

Would we prefer Lynch or Ceglar? I would have said both and lose Sweet, but if the latter is staying it seems one or the other. Ceglar likely to give us more in 2022, but beyond that?

I hope we still chase a Ceglar type. We still need reinforcements.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2021, 07:30 PM
Jon Ralph reporting that we will keep Sweet on a multi-year deal - which to me indicates that he must be getting upgraded to the main list?

It could be a good result if he is upgraded, we bring in a Ceglar or Lynch, and Stef is downgraded to a rookie spot.

Could be two years guaranteed on guaranteed money. 4th Year Rookie List next year and upgrade next year. It doesn’t impact his ability to play. Whatever is best for list flexibility hopefully.

1eyedog
06-10-2021, 07:33 PM
I hope we still chase a Ceglar type. We still need reinforcements.

Yep our first choice ruckman is grinding bone on bone and we're just about to trade our second one.

jeemak
06-10-2021, 07:49 PM
Good obvioiusly been told he's gonna have sufficient ruck minutes to keep him next year.

Either that or just been told he'll be listed and doesn't want to move.

1eyedog
06-10-2021, 11:49 PM
Either that or just been told he'll be listed and doesn't want to move.

Did I hear Bevo mention we'd have a vastly different ruck look next year?

Vred
07-10-2021, 06:48 AM
Did I hear Bevo mention we'd have a vastly different ruck look next year?

Yeah..... He 100% said that.
Ceglar is the ''different look'' - English, Martin, Sweet still there.

Still hate the fact that 'Never played more then 18 games a season' Ceglar is our best option...

comrade
07-10-2021, 08:50 AM

Still hate the fact that 'Never played more then 18 games a season' Ceglar is our best option...

It’s very slim pickings out there. Clubs have worked out that having good ruck coverage is extremely important, so we’re forced to play catch up.

Mofra
07-10-2021, 08:57 AM

Personally - Lynch, but we're not interested. He's tied to Hawthorn at this stage

Mofra
07-10-2021, 08:58 AM

Sweet has a big pre-season and plays every third game perhaps?
It's not ideal. I still think there are big question marks over Sweet and even at VFL level there were a number of better performing rucks this year.

G-Mo77
07-10-2021, 09:02 AM

I'm confident Sweet will be a more than serviceable ruck and Ceglar, if we get him, will be insurance. Not saying that's how we'll start in 2022 but think that's how we'll finish.

Mofra
07-10-2021, 09:17 AM
So Fox reporting that Ceglar's preference is Geelong.
We're not into Lynch or Ladhams at all. Where do we go from here? Mason Cox or nobody?

Axe Man
07-10-2021, 09:22 AM
Sydney has emerged as the frontrunner for Port Adelaide ruckman Peter Ladhams.

Hawthorn was Ladhams’ other suitor – the Western Bulldogs had already pulled out – but the Hawks have at least temporarily withdrawn from the race after baulking at the Power’s wish for a first-round pick in return.

The Ladhams’ camp preferred option is for the Power big man to find a new home.

The 23-year-old, who played 17 of his 32 career matches this year, is yet to nominate a club, but sources familiar with negotiations believe he will likely pick the Swans.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/trade-hq/afl-trade-period-port-adelaide-news-trades/news-story/bef48cb2b2bd73a80bf04293f8bae655)

Axe Man
07-10-2021, 09:25 AM
We're not into Lynch or Ladhams at all. Where do we go from here? Mason Cox or nobody?

It's a bit strange. The way it's being reported is if Fort goes to Brisbane then Ceglar moves to Geelong and Lynch goes to the Hawks. If Fort stays at the cats does no one move, or does it mean we will get Ceglar? Meanwhile it seems we didn't even get invited to this musical chairs game.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-10-2021, 09:26 AM

Yeah I said this yesterday. If we had a ruck lined up during the season we’d have him by now. It’s a strange situation.

bornadog
07-10-2021, 09:28 AM
Meanwhile, Young will be at Carlton by the end of day and won't be playing ruck. Carlton want him as a Key Defender.

KT31
07-10-2021, 09:29 AM
It’s very slim pickings out there. Clubs have worked out that having good ruck coverage is extremely important, so we’re forced to play catch up.

TBH everybody seemed to pick up on this except it seems us.( they just had to read Woof :) )
Once the third man up rule changed, we should have adapted and recruited immediately and not be trying to stop gap repair now.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2021, 09:29 AM
Yeah I said this yesterday. If we had a ruck lined up during the season we’d have him by now. It’s a strange situation.

I think we can avoid a deficit now. Are we bold enough to put the 2022 First Rounder up for a good ruck and go fishing?

Bulldog Revolution
07-10-2021, 09:41 AM
Meanwhile, Young will be at Carlton by the end of day and won't be playing ruck. Carlton want him as a Key Defender.

Liam Jones backup?

Mofra
07-10-2021, 09:50 AM
Liam Jones backup?
Jones will be 31 at the start of next season so I don't think he'll have long to wait.

Mantis
07-10-2021, 10:02 AM
Jones will be 31 at the start of next season so I don't think he'll have long to wait.

You would think Jones has at least another 2 years left in him so Young is going to have to bide his time unless Carlton think they can play him along with Jones & Weitering.

dog town
07-10-2021, 10:30 AM
I think we can avoid a deficit now. Are we bold enough to put the 2022 First Rounder up for a good ruck and go fishing?

You would think if we had room in our cap we would have done that already regardless of player type.

soupman
07-10-2021, 10:32 AM
You would think Jones has at least another 2 years left in him so Young is going to have to bide his time unless Carlton think they can play him along with Jones & Weitering.

I think they might try him in the Marchbank role seeing as Marchbank is permanently broken.

Vred
07-10-2021, 10:36 AM
Ceglar to Geelong
Lynch to Hawks
Dogs not interested in Ladhams

Hey Bevo, did our ''new look ruck department'' consist of the same 3 rucks as last year? Because I ain't seeing much else out there... I ain't saying ''panic'' but I am saying ''well shit...''

comrade
07-10-2021, 10:57 AM
Ceglar to Geelong
Lynch to Hawks
Dogs not interested in Ladhams

Hey Bevo, did our ''new look ruck department'' consist of the same 3 rucks as last year? Because I ain't seeing much else out there... I ain't saying ''panic'' but I am saying ''well shit...''

It’s Jordan Sweet time.

GVGjr
07-10-2021, 11:43 AM

My guess is we might look at Mason Cox now or just stick with what we have.

josie
07-10-2021, 11:48 AM
I’m actually ok with mason Cox as long as he can keep his body together

josie
07-10-2021, 11:49 AM
Cox fits the mantra of being a bit flexible eg plays forward, kind of ok around the ground and has a good competitive streak

Vred
07-10-2021, 11:59 AM
Are we now convincing ourselves of Cox? I mean... I rate him higher then English so why the hell not.

kruder
07-10-2021, 12:00 PM
Im guessing if Ceglar has chosen the cats over us its a lifestyle choice? Um surely?

Grantysghost
07-10-2021, 12:04 PM
Im guessing if Ceglar has chosen the cats over us its a lifestyle choice? Um surely?

Atepackophobia.

(fear of being photographed top less next to an insta influencer).

Grantysghost
07-10-2021, 12:05 PM
Are we now convincing ourselves of Cox? I mean... I rate him higher then English so why the hell not.

I'd rather take a speculative pick in the draft, Cox would make me displeased to say the very least.

Surely we aren't that desperate.

Vred
07-10-2021, 12:07 PM
I'd rather take a speculative pick in the draft, Cox would make me displeased to say the very least.

Surely we aren't that desperate.

Unless Power pulls a power move and gets a contracted ruck to nominate us I have no idea who the *!*!*!*! he is landing this off season

Axe Man
07-10-2021, 12:13 PM
Unless Power pulls a power move and gets a contracted ruck to nominate us I have no idea who the *!*!*!*! he is landing this off season

Sandilands to come out of retirement? :D It was reported that Geelong had sounded him out at some stage (he does fit their age profile).

The Bulldogs Bite
07-10-2021, 12:16 PM

I share the disappointment but we cannot force players to nominate us.

If anything it just highlights that we've let this go on far too long. It's been at least 4 years of many people raising concern about our ruck situation. The fact that we're now desperate is nobody elses fault but our own.

It would be interesting to know why we aren't interested in somebody like Lynch.

Vred
07-10-2021, 12:17 PM
Sandilands to come out of retirement? :D It was reported that Geelong had sounded him out at some stage (he does fit their age profile).

i saw a joke about this earlier in the trade week... it’s almost tempting tbh

Vred
07-10-2021, 12:19 PM
I share the disappointment but we cannot force players to nominate us.

If anything it just highlights that we've let this go on far too long. It's been at least 4 years of many people raising concern about our ruck situation. The fact that we're now desperate is nobody elses fault but our own.

It would be interesting to know why we aren't interested in somebody like Lynch.

yeah it’s just frustrating, how can a team who’s positioned so well except one role not attract someone to fill that role? We’re not the GCS, like shit.

no idea what Ceglar is thinking going to the retirement village that is the Cats.

Grantysghost
07-10-2021, 12:23 PM
yeah it’s just frustrating, how can a team who’s positioned so well except one role not attract someone to fill that role? We’re not the GCS, like shit.

no idea what Ceglar is thinking going to the retirement village that is the Cats.

I think we just don't pay overs and have a clear plan about what we think players are worth and stick to it.

Might be as simple as one v two year deal or something and I trust power as he sets his parameters and sticks to them.
We aren't missing out on Nic Nat here.

jeemak
07-10-2021, 12:24 PM
Sam Power was appointed list manager in December 2017, meaning this is his fourth full go at trade/ draft periods.

How much of the blame would rest with him if after four years he hasn't been able to land someone at least competent and reliable?

The Bulldogs Bite
07-10-2021, 12:31 PM
Sam Power was appointed list manager in December 2017, meaning this is his fourth full go at trade/ draft periods.

How much of the blame would rest with him if after four years he hasn't been able to land someone at least competent and reliable?

Good question but probably difficult to give a correct answer.

My thinking is that the list management and coaching team would deliberate on what we need and who we need. It would then be Sam's job to go out and convince player X to come to us and negotiate a deal. Bevo/players would also play a role in the persuasion part.

I'm not sure who we have 'missed out' on in terms of a ruck. It seems only last year we decided we needed some cover and were happy to go and get Martin, and now we're 'in the market' without publicly committing to any one particular target.

I actually think the blame would rest more with our coaching team as they are likely the ones who would 'sign off' on going for a particular style of player (and in some cases a specific player). I'm not convinced we've made this a priority until now.

Scraggers
07-10-2021, 12:39 PM

You don't think he has done a good job so far? I'm not 100% on how it works but surely he is given a mandate by the footy department and he goes to work from there?? He's not going to go out and get 4 midfielders for us ... we don't need four mids; he's getting what he's been told we need ... best available, no dickheads would be the mantra.

bornadog
07-10-2021, 12:48 PM
Easy to say we don't rate rucks and why we didn't do this or that.

These are the rucks we had in the past 5 years

Roughead
Boyd
Campbell
English

Trengove
Boyd
English
Roughead

English
Trengove
Boyd - retired early in year
Sweet

English
Trengove
Sweet

English
Martin
Sweet
Young (not recognised ruck)

Comments

* Boyd retirement threw plans out
* English didn't come along as much as we would have liked
* Trengove lost form
* 2020 was the worst year for drafting, as we didn't have enough picks to bring in another ruck after trading for Keath and Bruce.
* In 5 years we brought in Trengove, Sweet, Martin

I tend to agree with MJP who once said we should draft a young developing ruck every year on the rookie list.

jeemak
07-10-2021, 01:11 PM
You don't think he has done a good job so far? I'm not 100% on how it works but surely he is given a mandate by the footy department and he goes to work from there?? He's not going to go out and get 4 midfielders for us ... we don't need four mids; he's getting what he's been told we need ... best available, no dickheads would be the mantra.

I think he's done a really good job, but like most, probably has some areas upon which he can improve. But it's hard to tell what those might be.

Not once have I heard Bevo say he doesn't rate rucks, in fact he's repeatedly stated the opposite or as similar to the opposite as you can get, but for some reason he seems to carry the can for there not being anyone decent or who he deems playable on the list. As soon as we got someone he thought was playable, for whatever reason, he has played him (Martin).

My view is there needs to be some tension between the list manager's priorities and the coach's priorities, because coach's can't be trusted to always think beyond their immediate futures/ self-interest and this distorts decision making when it comes to list management. If we don't have that tension or if the balance is out of whack it needs to be addressed immediately.

I'd be really surprised if anyone at the club didn't think it was a priority to land a playable ruck these past years, GG's assessment of why we haven't gotten one probably stacks up but you never know.

jeemak
07-10-2021, 01:17 PM
Good question but probably difficult to give a correct answer.

My thinking is that the list management and coaching team would deliberate on what we need and who we need. It would then be Sam's job to go out and convince player X to come to us and negotiate a deal. Bevo/players would also play a role in the persuasion part.

I'm not sure who we have 'missed out' on in terms of a ruck. It seems only last year we decided we needed some cover and were happy to go and get Martin, and now we're 'in the market' without publicly committing to any one particular target.

I actually think the blame would rest more with our coaching team as they are likely the ones who would 'sign off' on going for a particular style of player (and in some cases a specific player). I'm not convinced we've made this a priority until now.

Perhaps we haven't. Or perhaps we have difficulty in defining the type of ruck we want or need. Perhaps what we want or need doesn't exist at the price we're willing to pay.

There's a lot of factors I guess, and I think it's a bit narrow when people just single out a coach for not getting it done (not saying this is what you're doing, as I agree with a lot of your statements) when there's a list manager actually in charge of getting it done who hasn't managed to for three going on four years.

hujsh
07-10-2021, 01:18 PM
Is it possible we have a mature ruck from the state leagues in mind?

bulldogtragic
07-10-2021, 01:24 PM
My understanding is there’s a Trade Committee that signs off on trades, to cover a rogue list manager. Something like Sam, Bevo, Granty and a board member.

I suspect it’s this committee where the hold up on rucks is. We’ve traded for KPF, KPD, mids, defenders and forwards. Nearly nothing on the ruck. Anyone on that committee could advocate to not look at rucks as trades. If they were persuasive that the list spot is wasted as the MC won’t select them, then that seems logical that Sam isn’t breaking his neck to sign a ruck as a trade.

That said, our 2022 First Rounder (with the points now) could be traded for a good ruckman. Interesting whether we look to plug the hole with a good ruck, or tinker around the edges. Or be overlooked by rucks who saw a brother ruck in Sweet sit in the stands while Young rucked. Maybe they don’t want that to happen to them next year while Gardner rucks while they sit it out. Who knows, but I live in hope we saw Jackson kill us and acknowledged the response is trading for a good ruckman.

Mofra
07-10-2021, 01:25 PM
Is it possible we have a mature ruck from the state leagues in mind?
Most of them have been mined at the mid-season draft, and the good ones were tied to clubs already.

I'm no convinced Stef Martin's body holds up. I'm, not convinced Tim English is a first ruck option for 25 rounds. I'm not convinced Sweet is ready for week in, week out duties at senior AFL level yet.

I really think we need someone to add to our ruck stocks. Ideally, a mature option and a kid on the cusp of making it

The Pie Man
07-10-2021, 01:43 PM
We’re not getting another ruckman are we?

:(

Vred
07-10-2021, 01:56 PM
We’re not getting another ruckman are we?

:(

Mason Cox, his coming to the RED WHITE AND BLUE
The marketing writes itself.

macca
07-10-2021, 01:56 PM
My understanding is there’s a Trade Committee that signs off on trades, to cover a rogue list manager. Something like Sam, Bevo, Granty and a board member.

I suspect it’s this committee where the hold up on rucks is. We’ve traded for KPF, KPD, mids, defenders and forwards. Nearly nothing on the ruck. Anyone on that committee could advocate to not look at rucks as trades. If they were persuasive that the list spot is wasted as the MC won’t select them, then that seems logical that Sam isn’t breaking his neck to sign a ruck as a trade.

That said, our 2022 First Rounder (with the points now) could be traded for a good ruckman. Interesting whether we look to plug the hole with a good ruck, or tinker around the edges. Or be overlooked by rucks who saw a brother ruck in Sweet sit in the stands while Young rucked. Maybe they don’t want that to happen to them next year while Gardner rucks while they sit it out. Who knows, but I live in hope we saw Jackson kill us and acknowledged the response is trading for a good ruckman.

Hint to committee, ruckman win premierships, here is a list of a couple:

Jackson/Gawn
Vardy/Lycett - 2018
Pike/Mumford -20212
Nankervis (3)
Boyd/Roughead -2016
Hale/McEvoy (2), Bailey/Hale

Brad Ottens

bornadog
07-10-2021, 02:07 PM
Mason Cox, his coming to the RED WHITE AND BLUE
The marketing writes itself.

Tell you the truth, he would be ok. No worse than Ceglar

Mantis
07-10-2021, 02:11 PM
Tell you the truth, he would be ok. No worse than Ceglar

Has Cox ever played as a number 1 ruck for an extended period?

bornadog
07-10-2021, 02:17 PM

Not with Grundy around

Mofra
07-10-2021, 02:17 PM
Not at AFL level.
A few pies fans think he's a better ruckman than a forward but TBH I think that's not a high bar.

If the choice is between adding Cox or adding nobody, I much prefer we sign him. He'll be cheap, he's OOC

bornadog
07-10-2021, 02:20 PM
If the choice is between adding Cox or adding nobody, I much prefer we sign him. He'll be cheap, he's OOC

that is what I am thinking at this stage. I am not overly wrapped in Ceglar either, but out of the two I would take Ceglar.

Mofra
07-10-2021, 02:21 PM
that is what I am thinking at this stage. I am not overly wrapped in Ceglar either, but out of the two I would take Ceglar.
Yeah it seems Ceglar is more likely to contribute around the ground.

Cox hasn't played as the no 1 ruck since 2017, it's a long time ago but he got plenty of hitouts but not too much around the ground involvement

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-collingwood-magpies--mason-cox?year=2017

jeemak
07-10-2021, 02:27 PM

That's what I'd have figured as well, and I guess the difficult part often involves the political side of things. It wouldn't be too difficult to see a situation where say for instance Bevo and Grant agreed on the appropriate course of action, the board member was neutral and Sam was on the other side of the debate over who to recruit and left swinging in the breeze. I guess there's the possibility of/ need for veto power to break stalemates.

As an aside, I was on the committee for a year at my football club, with the president, secretary, treasurer and a few other players. We were making really good progress/ improvements on/ to things throughout the year, but all of a sudden it was becoming too collaborative. So the president, secretary and treasurer got together and decided that a restructure was in order, whereby they got to make the decisions and the players/ other committee members got to agree with them and do the actual work. My tenure on the committee wasn't for much longer after that. Footy clubs are weird places full of weird people.

Axe Man
07-10-2021, 04:02 PM
Damian Barrett reporting Lobb could head back to GWS.

Bulldog Joe
07-10-2021, 04:04 PM
Damian reporting Lobb could head back to GWS.

Well they have lost Finlayson and need to maintain their quota of unlikeables.

dog town
07-10-2021, 04:52 PM
Yeah it seems Ceglar is more likely to contribute around the ground.

Cox hasn't played as the no 1 ruck since 2017, it's a long time ago but he got plenty of hitouts but not too much around the ground involvement

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-collingwood-magpies--mason-cox?year=2017 I mentioned last year that Cox was dreadful as a ruckmen but I don’t think I did enough research. When I watched a bigger sample size he wasn’t as awkward as I thought and got his hand to the ball a lot.

Below is my view of the for and against to weigh up with Cox.

For

Sheer size gives us something different to throw up against teams with the absolute elite tap ruckmen.
Can rest forward.

Against

Fairly sure he is still on a decent salary.
Ability to join in team defence, cover ground and spread is limited.
No impact on ground balls.

Axe Man
07-10-2021, 04:56 PM
Fairly sure he is still on a decent salary.

He is out of contract so he would sign for whatever is negotiated, his old contract isn't relevant.

Cox is probably my least favoured result, but admittedly I haven't seen enough of his ruckwork.

Vred
07-10-2021, 05:38 PM
''Ceglar off the table, set to sign with the cats tomorrow'' Barret

GVGjr
07-10-2021, 06:32 PM
''Ceglar off the table, set to sign with the cats tomorrow'' Barret

I don't get the appeal for him but we will have just to look elsewhere.

macca
07-10-2021, 06:58 PM
Damian Barrett reporting Lobb could head back to GWS.
Sounds like a salary dump

For what Lobb is on his output has been poor compared to his gws days
Darcy is going to dominate if keep injury free and they have Meek

How in the world did port score Finlayson ??? His one of those players who torch us if given any space

bulldogtragic
07-10-2021, 07:05 PM
So right now we are backwards, with no Young to ruck and English needing more time all season forward to cover Bruce. Martin older and more injury prone, pray Sweet develops…

Need to go all in on a proven ruck, which costs. Future First and a player.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2021, 07:08 PM
Already:

Chol GCS
CCJ North
Xerri Saints
Lobb GWS?
Ceglar Geelong
Ladhams Hawks/Sydney

Dogs.

Grantysghost
07-10-2021, 07:27 PM
Already:

Chol GCS
CCJ North
Xerri Saints
Lobb GWS?
Ceglar Geelong
Ladhams Hawks/Sydney

Dogs.

It's not exactly an inspiring list is it.

Ladhams is the only one I would go for but we aren't willing to sell the farm.

Let's face it none of those guys are making any difference v Gawn.

Bulldog Joe
07-10-2021, 07:31 PM
Sounds like a salary dump

For what Lobb is on his output has been poor compared to his gws days
Darcy is going to dominate if keep injury free and they have Meek

How in the world did port score Finlayson ??? His one of those players who torch us if given any space

GWS don't take players as salary dumps, they are always going the other way.

If Lobb goes to GWS, Freo are likely contributing some of his salary.

whythelongface
07-10-2021, 07:34 PM
It's not exactly an inspiring list is it.

Ladhams is the only one I would go for but we aren't willing to sell the farm.

Let's face it none of those guys are making any difference v Gawn.

Agree. The only reason would be as a backup.

If we had to choose one of the above it would be Ladhams by a mile.

Not fussed we are missing out on Ceglar. Have a feeling we may end up with Cox.

Grantysghost
07-10-2021, 07:52 PM
Agree. The only reason would be as a backup.

If we had to choose one of the above it would be Ladhams by a mile.

Not fussed we are missing out on Ceglar. Have a feeling we may end up with Cox.

The only reason I'd be happy with that is so someone can manufacture the sign "we have big American Cox"...

South Park fans will know what I'm saying.
https://youtu.be/TuEKb9Ktqhc

macca
07-10-2021, 08:54 PM
GWS don't take players as salary dumps, they are always going the other way.

If Lobb goes to GWS, Freo are likely contributing some of his salary.

Thats what I mean, his being paid over 700K for poor return. Freo are getting him off their list before before he has a best of season last year contract where he could be asking the same or more.

GWS know Lobb, know what to expect, and if Freo are going to pay 200K (example) of his salary , his cheaper than the 700K that would need to have paid him to keep him 4 years ago, so hypothetically, they could save $1million over past 5 years for him returning.

Mofra
07-10-2021, 08:58 PM
Thats what I mean, his being paid over 700K for poor return. Freo are getting him off their list before before he has a best of season last year contract where he could be asking the same.

GWS know Lobb, know what to expect, and if Freo are going to pay 200K (example) of his salary , his cheaper than the 700K that would need to have paid him to keep him 4 years ago, so hypothetically, they could save $1million over past 5 years for him returning.
Lobb at his absolute best probably is a $700k player, but he drops his head and looks disinterested so often. Ypou only see his best for about 25 minutes a year.

He's no ruck either.

Do we ask about Preuss? If Ceglar is off the table and that was plan A I really hope we had a plan B lined up.

azabob
07-10-2021, 09:08 PM
Bloody hell. This thread has been active since 2015!!

On the upside it is one of my favourite thread titles ever and it looks like it’s here to stay for another 12 months.

azabob
07-10-2021, 09:10 PM
This is an area where we can still improve in, and when we get it right, it will be an even more devastating set up.

Is this post dated April 2015 or October 2021? Ruck me…

Sedat
07-10-2021, 09:11 PM
Is Ben Hudson still in good nick? Maybe we can wheel him out for his 55th farewell tour a-la John Farnham.

comrade
07-10-2021, 10:02 PM
Bloody hell. This thread has been active since 2015!!

On the upside it is one of my favourite thread titles ever and it looks like it’s here to stay for another 12 months.

One day, I’m hoping after we finally have a proper ruckman we can start a new thread:

We Got Rucked

josie
08-10-2021, 12:06 AM
If GWS grab Lobb as a ruck rather then a forward, could we pluck one of their rucks? (Mumford retiring).

Sedat
08-10-2021, 12:27 AM
Lobb at his absolute best probably is a $700k player, but he drops his head and looks disinterested so often. Ypou only see his best for about 25 minutes a year.

He's no ruck either.
Lobb is an older and less talented English. Both lack that uncompromising competitiveness needed to be #1 ruck, and they both drift in and out of games up forward. At least Tim has a monster tank and is able to cover the ground.

Doc26
08-10-2021, 12:50 AM
Is Ben Hudson still in good nick? Maybe we can wheel him out for his 55th farewell tour a-la John Farnham.

Hey and I can pull out the t-shirt out again.

jeemak
08-10-2021, 01:06 AM
Lobb is an older and less talented English. Both lack that uncompromising competitiveness needed to be #1 ruck, and they both drift in and out of games up forward. At least Tim has a monster tank and is able to cover the ground.

After the 2016 prelim I was convinced Lobb would probably be the best player in the competition by now. Putting the bullshit aside, he did things in that final that I haven't ever seen English do. He was genuinely amazing and was almost the difference for them.

As an aside, it just goes to show how heroic Tom Boyd was in stopping the rot anywhere but forward after Roughy went down. That he managed to even get back in defence only to be out-marked was a testament to his strength and fortitude.

Anyway, Lobb at the best he's shown for me is well above English. But on consistency of output, which is a bit of an issue given both aren't great at that, I'd probably take Tim.

If GWS can get Lobb going again like they seem to be doing with Hogan, his recruitment will be an absolute boon for them.

Axe Man
08-10-2021, 09:21 AM
Maybe we are just going to get the best mature VFL ruckman in? Checks VFL team of the year, oh...

https://i.postimg.cc/x1tcdrHC/vfl.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Mofra
08-10-2021, 09:30 AM
I'm really concerned we had some sort of verbal ok from Ceglar but he's now leaning towards Geelong and we haven't really considered anyone else.

comrade
08-10-2021, 09:36 AM
Maybe we are just going to get the best mature VFL ruckman in? Checks VFL team of the year, oh...

As an aside, I like Charlie Dean a lot.

Mofra
08-10-2021, 09:46 AM
Got a combine invite didn't he? Sounds like a few clubs have him on their radar

Axe Man
08-10-2021, 10:00 AM
Collingwood is determined to keep out-of-contract big man Max Lynch as the Hawks weigh up a move for him.

The Magpies have only two ruckmen under contract – Brodie Grundy and Darcy Cameron – with the future for Lynch and Mason Cox still to be determined.

It’s understood Collingwood has told Lynch it wants to retain him.

The 23-year-old has played only three senior games in five seasons since being one of the last footballers picked in the 2016 rookie draft.

But his development at second-tier level has turned heads at ruck-needy clubs, including him averaging 13 disposals, 32 hit-outs (eight to advantage) and 3.4 clearances in the VFL this year.

Most signs have pointed to Cox leaving the club – potentially for Brisbane – but what happens with Lynch could impact whether he remains in black and white.

Hawthorn inquired about Lynch last year while he was still under contract and nothing eventuated, but he is again on the club’s radar.

The Hawks have confirmed their interest in Lynch but are yet to formally discuss the 200cm ruckman with the Pies.

Hawthorn also met with contracted Port Adelaide big man Peter Ladhams, but pulled out of that race when the Power revealed it wanted a first-round pick in return.

Lynch would come much cheaper if he ends up requesting a trade to Waverley Park.

The Hawks are prioritising the draft as their rebuild continues and already encouraged veteran big man Jon Ceglar to explore his options elsewhere despite being contracted until the end of next season.

They are willing to pay a good chunk of the 30-year-old’s salary to help facilitate a deal with the Western Bulldogs or Geelong.

If Ceglar is to move on, Hawthorn would have only captain Ben McEvoy, who turns 33 in July, and five-game beanpole Ned Reeves as ruck specialists.

Journeyman Keegan Brooksby was delisted at season’s end.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/trade-hq/afl-trade-period-day-five-latest-trades-and-free-agency-signing-news/news-story/7a74bce5a78125b052973a20827fe0cb)

Vred
08-10-2021, 10:34 AM
Collingwood is determined to keep out-of-contract big man Max Lynch as the Hawks weigh up a move for him.

The Magpies have only two ruckmen under contract – Brodie Grundy and Darcy Cameron – with the future for Lynch and Mason Cox still to be determined.

Imagine the situation if Ceglar goes to Geelong and Cox goes to Brisbane... Oh boy

Axe Man
08-10-2021, 10:39 AM
Imagine the situation if Ceglar goes to Geelong and Cox goes to Brisbane... Oh boy

That shouldn't happen as Geelong only want Ceglar if Fort goes to Brisbane.

1eyedog
08-10-2021, 10:44 AM

We play Sweet.

bornadog
08-10-2021, 10:52 AM

On trade radio

'I liken myself to players like Steven May or Jordan Ridley. I can defend my man one-on-one and also come up and take intercept marks.'

- Williamstown's Charlie Dean

Axe Man
08-10-2021, 11:07 AM
Hawks trying to give Ceglar away:

Ceglar is prepared to leave and the Hawks are prepared to pay as much as $200,000 of his $350,000 salary and while he seems keen to get to Geelong, surely the Dogs make a more appealing destination to win a flag.

hujsh
08-10-2021, 11:15 AM
Can't beat the coast lifestyle and those sweet sweet connections I guess

Vred
08-10-2021, 11:20 AM

I live in one of the worst suburbs of Melbourne and I still wouldn't leave it for Geelong lol

Axe Man
08-10-2021, 11:25 AM

Ceglar is originally from Wodonga I believe so just a stones throw from Corio Bay. :rolleyes:

Dancin' Douggy
08-10-2021, 11:33 AM
One day, I’m hoping after we finally have a proper ruckman we can start a new thread:

We Got Rucked

we are well and truly rucked

Rocco Jones
08-10-2021, 11:37 AM
Maybe part of the issue with Ceglar is we don't rate him particularly highly. As in just want him as a back up, little assurances etc. Much rather Ceglar than nothing but definitely not a Bevo style ruckman (if that isn't an oxymoron.

josie
08-10-2021, 11:41 AM
If gossip hawks open to offers for any players over 26 what would we need to offer to get McAvoy?

GVGjr
08-10-2021, 11:44 AM
Maybe part of the issue with Ceglar is we don't rate him particularly highly. As in just want him as a back up, little assurances etc. Much rather Ceglar than nothing but definitely not a Bevo style ruckman (if that isn't an oxymoron.

I think we rated him as a decent option but maybe Geelong were into him earlier.

Rocco Jones
08-10-2021, 11:44 AM
If gossip hawks open to offers for any players over 26 what would we need to offer to get McAvoy?

I think they might want to keep McEvoy due to his leadership. Wingard, Mitchell and O'Meara don't seem like leader types.

Axe Man
08-10-2021, 11:46 AM

Hawks are trying to improve their draft hand not just give players away (other than Ceglar). Nobody is going to offer anything of value for McEvoy who will be 33 next season. I think they want him to stay to help develop Reeves and provide some leadership.

Vred
08-10-2021, 12:03 PM
I think they might want to keep McEvoy due to his leadership. Wingard, Mitchell and O'Meara don't seem like leader types.

I'd take Wingard and plant him in the forward line, his an upgrade over a few on our list. Hopefully we can somehow lure Ceglar over.

The Adelaide Connection
08-10-2021, 12:11 PM

On a tangent, could Edge be in line for a Hansen/King’s role? Those of you that have seen a bit of McComb, would he someone that would be worth taking as a late/rookie pick up?

Axe Man
08-10-2021, 12:26 PM
On a tangent, could Edge be in line for a Hansen/King’s role? Those of you that have seen a bit of McComb, would he someone that would be worth taking as a late/rookie pick up?

I didn't realise Edge has been with the club since 2014. Before that he was with GWS for 4 years so I guess he has the necessary experience.

Smads57
08-10-2021, 01:07 PM
McComb is an impressive VFL player - he is not tall but is big bodied - plays best in the midfield where we have plenty of options - suggest we are better to use late picks/rookie selections on ‘needs’.

The Pie Man
08-10-2021, 02:11 PM
Seen on Twitter (@TheSaltyBulldog)

The Western Bulldogs are not currently pursuing any ruckman.

They are hoping that Stefan Martin will return to full fitness and another pre-season will help Tim English.

[@DavidZita1]

comrade
08-10-2021, 02:14 PM

They are hoping that Stefan Martin will return to full fitness and another pre-season will help Tim English.

[@DavidZita1]

Fingers crossed our mids learn how to defend against a dominant oppo ruck and mids over the pre-season otherwise it’ll be another year up the shitter.

hujsh
08-10-2021, 02:34 PM
I have no idea who that source is. Are they actually reliable or just @traderumours?

1eyedog
08-10-2021, 02:35 PM

[@DavidZita1]

Hoping Martin stays fit, hoping English will turn into a ruckman...

SquirrelGrip
08-10-2021, 02:38 PM
Hoping Martin stays fit, hoping English will turn into a ruckman...

Yes, Hope is our new ruckman. Put him in Number 777.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-10-2021, 02:42 PM
Not sure I'd put much trust in "The Salty Dog"...

Vred
08-10-2021, 02:43 PM

[@DavidZita1]

Ah yes, Bevo's ''new look ruck department''
The same ruck department + 1 preseason, nice.

westdog54
08-10-2021, 02:45 PM
Sweet locked in for two more years.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1024309

The Pie Man
08-10-2021, 02:46 PM

They dropped David Zita’s handle in the tweet (David’s @ Fox Sports) I’m assuming it’s been heard on a podcast / something similar and then tweeted it out.

Follow up tweet from the account, attributing info to Max Laughton (also @ Fox)

In terms of trades, the Western Bulldogs will “probably” be finished after facilitating a trade for Patrick Lipinski. [@maxlaughton]

Axe Man
08-10-2021, 02:47 PM
Ah yes, Bevo's ''new look ruck department''
The same ruck department + 1 preseason, nice.

Nah, you've got it all wrong. Stef is going to grow a big silver beard, Sweet is going to grow some dreads and Timmy is getting a face tatt. You won't recognise them.

The Pie Man
08-10-2021, 02:47 PM
And given the options out there (or lack thereof) and our picks, I’ve got no reason to doubt it’s true

bulldogsthru&thru
08-10-2021, 02:48 PM
Sorry Bont we’ll have to piss away another year of your prime while we screw around with the ruck.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-10-2021, 02:49 PM
So we’re relying on an injury prone 35yr old to stay healthy, a naturally uncompetitive human to suddenly become an aggressive beast and a guy who we refuse to play to become a number 1 ruck overnight. Good grief. I wouldn’t take odds on any of those happening in isolation.

Vred
08-10-2021, 02:51 PM
Nah, you've got it all wrong. Stef is going to grow a big silver beard, Sweet is going to grow some dreads and Timmy is getting a face tatt. You won't recognise them.

''But they have a new hat!'' - The Simpsons

bulldogsthru&thru
08-10-2021, 02:55 PM
Edmunds (grain of salt I know) reckons Fort is going to Lions, Ceglar to cats and Xerri to saints.
Ladhams maybe going to swans.

Meanwhile the team who most needs a ruck does nothing…..

bornadog
08-10-2021, 02:55 PM
https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2021/09/11/f1a047fd-3a74-413d-9a70-a72007b9a8e5/Y9kJIbG9.jpg?width=708&height=1062

Looks like Gardner, but AFL.com.au saying it is Sweet. Maybe something happening there :D

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-10-2021, 03:03 PM
I think it's easy to be glib and say the club is doing nothing, when we just don't know all of the variables.
Its not exactly like we're flush with draft pick capital for starters. If we're committed to securing Darcy then that hobbles us a bit.
We also don't know who we've sounded out, and why if we have done, they're not interested.

I agree its not ideal maintaining the status Quo. But it would be no good securing a ruckman if by doing so the club feels that we'd be creating bigger problems down the track elsewhere.

I think that we showed we could win 15 games in our current set up, and I still think our mids could've mitigated our ruck deficiencies to a substantial degree in the biggest game of the year, with some minor adjustment in their posture and mindset.

Bulldog Revolution
08-10-2021, 03:09 PM
Sweet locked in for two more years.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1024309

I'm somewhat bullish on what Sweety could still become

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-10-2021, 03:12 PM
I'm somewhat bullish on what Sweety could still become

Me too. And I think its now incumbent upon the club (if we're not going to bring in an established ruckman) to set about making his development a big priority. He needs to be given all available resources to get himself ready to stake out a permanent number 1 ruck role next year.

comrade
08-10-2021, 03:13 PM
Given it looks like we’ve struck out on bringing in a ruck, Sweet just needs to play. Martin is depth only next year.

Time to take the ruck role seriously and look at it long term.

GVGjr
08-10-2021, 03:18 PM

Nothing against the Salty Dog but I've read a lot from him and I suspect his tweets are based on snippets of information he sees in the media.

The Pie Man
08-10-2021, 03:24 PM
Nothing against the Salty Dog but I've read a lot from him and I suspect his tweets are based on snippets of information he sees in the media.

Which doesn’t make what comes out any less true

Bulldog Joe
08-10-2021, 03:24 PM

Well that moniker sounds like a description of me and my frustrations with our attitude to ruck.

Bulldog Revolution
08-10-2021, 03:31 PM
How good is this from Colin Young?

Im thinking about making a comeback and Im going to be represented by Colin Young - if he gets Lobb another two years he is a genius

https://www.afl.com.au/news/683563/player-manager-fury-as-bell-breaks-cone-of-silence-

"It's a very strong family club, the GWS. There wouldn’t be a week that goes by that Rory doesn’t talk to his teammates from GWS," player manager Colin Young told Continental Tyres AFL Trade Radio.

"I said [to Giants football manager Jason McCartney] with a flip of my tongue, 'I know Rory has only been here for a short period but geez he loves GWS, I reckon he might want to come back’. Then out of the blue I get the call and it's game on.

"If there was an opportunity that GWS want him back, I know he would jump at it."

Vred
08-10-2021, 04:04 PM

Jon Ralph now reporting the same thing. We're not looking for any rucks this off season and plan to go in with the three on our list.

Axe Man
08-10-2021, 04:17 PM
Jon Ralph now reporting the same thing. We're not looking for any rucks this off season and plan to go in with the three on our list.

I guess if Stef's legs fall off there is always the safety net of the mid season draft. Hardly ideal though.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-10-2021, 04:20 PM
Geez, what's the club's rationale if the reporting is to be believed? Surely they can't be confident in the trio we have after the last 4 years.

Technically with Young gone our rucks are even worse than 2021. Considering Martin's also a year older, well...

Let's hope Sweet transforms into Brad Ottens overnight.

Mofra
08-10-2021, 04:22 PM
I don't really consider English a ruck and I consider Stef Martin more a development coach than a legitimate 22 + game option.

Jordan Sweet has played 5 games and is effectively our only ruck.

For the love of god.