PDA

View Full Version : So what do we need to do to beat Richmond?

bulldogtragic
07-04-2015, 08:57 PM
So what do we need to do to go to 2-0?

Obviously play well...

But is there a set up in the back 50? Riewoldt looked ok on the weekend from the highlights I saw, although Vickery won't be playing as his foil. They are playing their Morris up forward and would be odds on to try to shut Bobby down.

Watching Weagles cut us on the rebound makes me think Richmond might try the same, so how do we prepare for this?

Do we go with Redpath as our twin tower forward line, or look to Ayce or go smaller with a Hrovat type?

Do we keep Wallis in an attacking role and use Picken as the tagger, or do we need to tag two? I think not.

Does Grant start this week, and if so where do start him?

Gotta say I'm feeling pretty confident this week, which is not how I've been feeling about playing the Tiges in recent years. I Watched the Collingwood game 4 times and last week 3 now. I just hope this momentum and style can keep going for a long time.

Maddog37
07-04-2015, 09:04 PM
Gotta shut down Houli and Grigg.

SonofScray
07-04-2015, 09:05 PM
Score more goals and behinds than the opposition in the allocated time for play.;)

I'm interested to see if our legs hold up on the bigger ground. We need to clunk some marks inside 50 to get the result there I feel, much more than we did v WCE.

bulldogtragic
07-04-2015, 09:15 PM

Is this the Picken as a defensive forward job?

1eyedog
07-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Was going to start the exact same thread with the exact same title!

I'm concerned about Cotchin and Martin but I think we need to sit on Edwards. He had a blinder on Thursday night, is the one that seems to get it for them now and has become their most important clearance player. He's gone from a good to a very good player in a relatively short space of time.

LostDoggy
07-04-2015, 09:24 PM
Keep Redpath and Boyd forward with Jack playing deep. Stringer will dominate with more room.

Weather permitting hopefully we start Grant and give him freedom to roam.

Unconditional: Smash them hard from the start. I hate Richmond, I hate Richmond, I hate Richmond and everything to do with them.

Happy Days
07-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Play Roughead on Rance and then never, ever kick it to him.

mjp
07-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Richmond are talented but this isn't an impossible task.

Step 1 is to slow down their ball movement from inside defensive 50...basically, don't allow them to get us going the other way (which we couldn't really do vs West Coast). West Coast and Richmond forward setups are not dis-similar with Reiwoldt playing the Kennedy role and Martin playing the part of LeCras.

Step 2 is to take our chances. Obvious I know but need to cut down on the easy misses from last week.

All of this assumes our tackling/contested ball/etc are all maintained from the last two outings.

bornadog
07-04-2015, 10:05 PM
We have to win the centre clearances this week. Nic Nat smashed us in the middle and I am afraid Maric has had the better of Will in the past. Maric really gets Richmond going and can also run forward and create some hazard down there.

LostDoggy
07-04-2015, 10:10 PM
Love to see:
Bont v Cotchin and smash him to bits!

Picken v Martin to give him the shite all arvo!

Redders v Chaplain and stomp all over him!

;)

anfo27
07-04-2015, 10:25 PM
Quite simply we need to defend better. Thought we were very slow in transition and the eagles used the sling shot method to perfection against us. We also need to force the opposition to kick to a contest more often. Against the eagles we were quite happy to let them chip the ball around to a team mate with our players just sitting off them too much. Found this very frustrating to watch and teams with time and space will almost always hit the target.

As for the tigers i think they are really good at getting the ball to certain players in open space who deliver the ball well into their forward line. Ellis & Grigg stand out for me as players who accumulate a lot of uncontested footy when the tigers are playing the way they want to. For this reason i would have Pickers go to Ellis, Jong follow Grigg around and have Mitch try and nullify Cotchin.

Not really looking forward to this game. A bit worried the way we defended against the eagles and if we do this against decent teams they will cut us up.

LostDoggy
07-04-2015, 10:26 PM
I'm worried if grant starts does he have the tank and fitness base to last 4 qtrs?

Do we keep going forward with the free wheeling frenetic eye candy game plan?

Can we afford not to play shut down roles on Cotchin and Martin?

I love the game style that Bevo is trying to reprogram into our players,but is there certain teams that we know or think that won't work against?

Happy Days
07-04-2015, 11:17 PM
We have to win the centre clearances this week. Nic Nat smashed us in the middle and I am afraid Maric has had the better of Will in the past. Maric really gets Richmond going and can also run forward and create some hazard down there.

Gotta disagree here; Maric is the exact sort of ruckman that Will beats (a worse version of himself.) The middle is the one area that I'm confident we are better than them, and were we can create a foundation to build a win on.

Riewoldt and their backline, however - West Coast are not a super quick side and we made them look like greased lightning. Richmond are a quick side, and will ribbon us if confronted with a similar plan of attack. Rance is a better version of whatever that was that McGovern turned into during the off season, and will at the very least provide something similar.

We need big games out of Murphy and Boyd (the bad one), and stable disposal moving forward.

westdog54
07-04-2015, 11:25 PM

Just as a matter of interest, Will earned himself 4 votes from 1 of the coaches in the AFLCA awards. NicNat didn't rate a mention.

bornadog
07-04-2015, 11:33 PM
Gotta disagree here; Maric is the exact sort of ruckman that Will beats (a worse version of himself.) The middle is the one area that I'm confident we are better than them, and were we can create a foundation to build a win on

I seem to recall otherwse for some reason. I went back on the stats and you are right. Will has beaten him in hit outs the last few times . I guess I was thinking of the game at Eithad when they smashed us and Maric seemed to be the driving force. I guess it was Maric's around the ground game that was good that day.

I hope you are right about the centre battle.

always right
08-04-2015, 12:22 AM
I seem to recall otherwse for some reason. I went back on the stats and you are right. Will has beaten him in hit outs the last few times . I guess I was thinking of the game at Eithad when they smashed us and Maric seemed to be the driving force. I guess it was Maric's around the ground game that was good that day.

I hope you are right about the centre battle.
I'm with you on Maric. Despite any statistics My recollection is that Maric generally plays well against Will around the ground. He's a better mark and is more mobile than Will. Another important week for big Will.

Last year Jong played a role on Grigg and had a terrific game. Will Bev use him again to run with one of Richmond's playmakers?

Reckon Picken has to go to either Houli or Ellis, Jong to run with Martin (big job) and Wallis goes head to head with Cotchin. Dickson to play a really important defensive forward role this week. Roughy gets Riewoldt with Morris the insurance if Jack gets on top.

LostDoggy
08-04-2015, 01:47 AM
I think Martin would cut Jong to pieces, chew him up and spit him out. I wouldn't waste Jong like that.

boydogs
08-04-2015, 03:05 AM

Yeah for sure, Grigg turned the game for them against Carlton. Given the coast to coast goals we conceded last week this has to be our biggest concern

Cyberdoggie
08-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Quite simply we need to defend better. Thought we were very slow in transition and the eagles used the sling shot method to perfection against us. We also need to force the opposition to kick to a contest more often. .

This is the weakest part of our game, ability to stop the quick transition through the middle. Most of our defenders aren't the quickest, especially the big blokes, so if we can't tighten up through the middle, Riewoldt will have far too much room to move.

To our credit though Bevo has twice now (Melbourne NAB game and last week) identified this early and made some changes/instructions to combat it and on both occasions there was significant improvement afterwards.

jeemak
08-04-2015, 11:27 AM
As others have said we need to defend Richmond as a team much more comprehensively than we did West Coast. Individual match ups will of course play a part, but it's up to the team as a whole to refuse to allow themselves to collectively be caught out of position when we lose the footy in our forward 50m.

When we win the ball in our defensive 50m we need to be prepared to use the corridor rather than get caught wide, to give our forwards as much clean ball as possible. At the G you're looking at 1.5 less kicks to get to goal if you move the ball on a more direct basis.

Whilst winning the contested ball doesn't necessarily have a material impact on the final score, we need to be competitive in this area and also pull out all stops to reduce the amount of uncontested ball the Tigers win. If we let the Tigers win the contested ball easily they'll be a much better chance of feeding to the outside and cutting us up with their run.

1eyedog
08-04-2015, 11:27 AM
I'm with you on Maric. Despite any statistics My recollection is that Maric generally plays well against Will around the ground. He's a better mark and is more mobile than Will. Another important week for big Will.

Last year Jong played a role on Grigg and had a terrific game. Will Bev use him again to run with one of Richmond's playmakers?

Reckon Picken has to go to either Houli or Ellis, Jong to run with Martin (big job) and Wallis goes head to head with Cotchin. Dickson to play a really important defensive forward role this week. Roughy gets Riewoldt with Morris the insurance if Jack gets on top.

Agree with most of this. I'd prefer Talia on Riewoldt and Roughie on Griffiths. Much better match ups size wise. Griffiths has been playing deep with Jack leading up the ground. Roughie won't go with Jack.

MrMahatma
08-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Redpath needs to take some grabs or he shouldn't be out there.

A few F50 marks more and better finishing, then we're a tough very tough team to beat.

Bulldog4life
08-04-2015, 01:17 PM
Redpath needs to take some grabs or he shouldn't be out there.

A few F50 marks more and better finishing, then we're a tough very tough team to beat.

The game before against Collingwood he was taking those marks. He wasn't out of position against WC but couldn't just clunk them. Hopefully just a bad day or maybe nerves got the better of him. Looking forward to see how he goes this week if selected. Is a lovely kick for goal which is a big plus.

always right
08-04-2015, 01:25 PM
This is the weakest part of our game, ability to stop the quick transition through the middle. Most of our defenders aren't the quickest, especially the big blokes, so if we can't tighten up through the middle, Riewoldt will have far too much room to move.

To our credit though Bevo has twice now (Melbourne NAB game and last week) identified this early and made some changes/instructions to combat it and on both occasions there was significant improvement afterwards.

Yes we improved as the game wore on but even in the last quarter we let them go coast to coast and ended up with Natinui kicking the goal. It was so bloody obvious they were setting up in the middle for the long kick out from Hurn yet we failed to set up properly. I was screaming from level 3 as it was happening....surprised the players couldn't hear me.:)

LostDoggy
08-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Agree with most of this. I'd prefer Talia on Riewoldt and Roughie on Griffiths. Much better match ups size wise. Griffiths has been playing deep with Jack leading up the ground. Roughie won't go with Jack.

We've got nobody, really, to go with Jack. Whichever defender keeps him to less than 3 goals will get my instant votes.

1eyedog
08-04-2015, 11:53 PM
Hmmm should I tip us this week? Tempted.

stefoid
09-04-2015, 12:40 AM
Maybe westcoast getting those easy over the back goals against us is a good thing. Obviously its something the coaching staff will be highlighting and working on this week.

Remi Moses
09-04-2015, 01:26 AM
Is this the Picken as a defensive forward job?

I think so. Not allowing Grigg and Houli easy ball is critical .

westbulldog
09-04-2015, 03:01 AM
It is Richmond that should be worried, not us. The young group is playing an exciting brand of footy, get on board.

Greystache
09-04-2015, 10:59 AM
Maybe westcoast getting those easy over the back goals against us is a good thing. Obviously its something the coaching staff will be highlighting and working on this week.

What impressed me last week was late in the game we pushed our zone further back up the ground from the kick in. It makes it slightly easier for WC to get the ball out of defensive 50m, but made it less likely they could go coast to coast. Obviously the coaching team have a plan A and plan B defensive structure depending on the position of the match. Pretty impressive.

Cyberdoggie
09-04-2015, 11:18 AM
What impressed me last week was late in the game we pushed our zone further back up the ground from the kick in. It makes it slightly easier for WC to get the ball out of defensive 50m, but made it less likely they could go coast to coast. Obviously the coaching team have a plan A and plan B defensive structure depending on the position of the match. Pretty impressive.

You mean we have a plan B now!

Slow down I'm just too confused. :eek:

The Bulldogs Bite
09-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Pretty interesting game.

Assuming we bring the same intensity, converting chances and applying more pressure to their back six will be the key.

Slow their movement and they'll be in trouble.