PDA

View Full Version : Following our exes...................

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

chef
09-04-2015, 03:32 PM
I thought I'd bite the bullet and be the one to start it. This is a thread to discuss all past Bulldogs players coaches whatever.

Justin Sherman is the coach of my local team (Kyabram) and apparently had a pretty good debut kicking a few goals and leading us to a 5 goal win over Tat.

LostDoggy
09-04-2015, 05:48 PM
Stalking the ex would be a cool title..

I had high hopes for the sherminator, they were unfounded!

Greystache
09-04-2015, 06:19 PM
I don't know what they're up to this season but I know the twin towers James Mulligan and Jarrad Boumann were cut by Wangaratta Rovers at the end of 2014. Mulligan struggled to crack a game in the seniors, and Boumann struggled to get a kick.

Yes, these two were actually on our list at one stage. Our recruiting in the late 2000's must be amongst the worst in AFL history :)

Happy Days
09-04-2015, 06:55 PM
I don't know what they're up to this season but I know the twin towers James Mulligan and Jarrad Boumann were cut by Wangaratta Rovers at the end of 2014. Mulligan struggled to crack a game in the seniors, and Boumann struggled to get a kick.

Yes, these two were actually on our list at one stage. Our recruiting in the late 2000's must be amongst the worst in AFL history :)

It's interesting to compare their league careers actually.

Boumann convinced two teams he was good enough to play AFL, but never for us, whilst Mulligan only made us look stupid, but actually played a game.

Boumann was by all reports a...not so great guy, but not an idiot, whereas Mulligan seemed lovely, but brought his boogie board (who owns a boogie board at ~24?) to a pre-season boot camp.

What's heavier, a kilo of lead or a kilo of feathers?

ledge
09-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Stephen Tiller is at Deer Park this year.

SlimPickens
09-04-2015, 08:55 PM

Apparently Boumann has a lovely tattoo of a heart with wings across his Adam's apple.

Greystache
09-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Apparently Boumann has a lovely tattoo of a heart with wings across his Adam's apple.

And a cross on his face!

comrade
09-04-2015, 09:13 PM

Be still my beating heart.

Happy Days
09-04-2015, 09:27 PM
And a cross on his face!

Nice. Will go well with that weird Nazi eagle thing on his chest.

Greystache
09-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Looking sharp

http://photos-f.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xap1/10467741_267475570107093_860767086_a.jpg

1eyedog
09-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Nice. Will go well with that weird Nazi eagle thing on his chest.

Sorry I have to mention this for family reasons. Just for the record the black eagle on white background has absolutely nothing to do with the Nazi party. The coat of arms on Boumann's breast was originally used in the middle ages as a coat of arms for the German Emperor and re-introduced in 1928 by the German Republic before being annexed by the Nazi's in 1935. The black eagle of the Republic of Germany was reinstated by the German Republic following the fall of the Nazi's and re-establishment of autonomous Government in 1950. Just to reiterate, the arms of Boumann's breast have absolutely nothing to do with the Nazi's, in fact it is the very symbol they abolished during their Third Reich.

1eyedog
09-04-2015, 10:22 PM
Sorry to derail, back on topic.

Happy Days
09-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Sorry to derail, back on topic.

That's okay man, I thought (knew) I was wrong but too lazy to google.

Boumann still sucks.

1eyedog
09-04-2015, 10:37 PM
That's okay man, I thought (knew) I was wrong but too lazy to google.

Boumann still sucks.

No dramas at all and yes he does.

jeemak
09-04-2015, 11:32 PM
Just travel through Asia a little and you'll understand how beautifully the Nazis butchered simbolism.

Or read the Da Vinci Code, whatever's easier!

Twodogs
10-04-2015, 12:42 AM
And a cross on his face!

He's probably scared of needles.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-04-2015, 02:49 AM
Didn't Eade once say during either the 2008 or 2009 finals series that if Boumann had to come in and play he wouldn't have disgraced himself?

Hawthorn obviously thought he was OK to offer a contract and he played a couple games there didn't he?

Mulligan (from what I can gather) is a personal trainer and pretty close with the likes of Stringer and JJ.

G-Mo77
10-04-2015, 07:57 AM
Mulligan (from what I can gather) is a personal trainer and pretty close with the likes of Stringer and JJ.

Yep he owns his own gym now I believe. He's huge now! They often showed photos on Instagram of the work they did in the offseason. I think it's great that he's helping out our guys.

Good mates with Jones as well.

LostDoggy
10-04-2015, 09:55 AM

I'm pretty sure I read in the local paper awhile ago that Mulligan has signed on with Melton in the BFL (Ballarat Football League) this season.. Wonder how much money they have wasted on him.

Sedat
10-04-2015, 11:10 AM
Mulligan will always be in the top echelon of Eker Hall of Fame members. He might even reach legend status at some point in the future.

Testekill
10-04-2015, 11:39 AM
I'm sure that he was a lovely bloke but Mulligan may be the worst player that I've ever seen get a senior game for us.

bornadog
10-04-2015, 12:06 PM
Is this thread set up to bag ex-players?

chef
10-04-2015, 06:09 PM

No, it's obviously set to talk about any past Bulldog. Be that positive or negative.

I guess you could even bag ex-coaches too if you wanted.

Testekill
10-04-2015, 10:25 PM
At least Everitt is doing okay for Carlton these days. Jones & Tutt are having horrible games.

chef
10-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Jones took a nice mark, but that was it.

Tutt would struggle to get a game for Kyabram.

Happy Days
10-04-2015, 10:39 PM

C'mon man, a face tatt? How can we not?

Testekill
10-04-2015, 10:49 PM
C'mon man, a face tatt? How can we not?

This is a legit point, face tatts are just walking probable cause.

G-Mo77
10-04-2015, 11:38 PM

I was honestly surprised he got a game for us. Another one of our VFL GF heroes who I'll always have time for. Good VFL player but struggles to take the next step, really struggles.

HOSE B ROMERO
10-04-2015, 11:44 PM
Sorry I have to mention this for family reasons. Just for the record the black eagle on white background has absolutely nothing to do with the Nazi party. The coat of arms on Boumann's breast was originally used in the middle ages as a coat of arms for the German Emperor and re-introduced in 1928 by the German Republic before being annexed by the Nazi's in 1935. The black eagle of the Republic of Germany was reinstated by the German Republic following the fall of the Nazi's and re-establishment of autonomous Government in 1950. Just to reiterate, the arms of Boumann's breast have absolutely nothing to do with the Nazi's, in fact it is the very symbol they abolished during their Third Reich.
Interesting.. thanks 1eyedog

Throughandthrough
10-04-2015, 11:51 PM
Speaking of exes, How's Carltons ex Dogs foursome of Malthouse, Jones, Tutt and aeverett travelling at the minute?

Testekill
10-04-2015, 11:54 PM
Speaking of exes, How's Carltons ex Dogs foursome of Malthouse, Jones, Tutt and aeverett travelling at the minute?

Senile, bad, worse, good.

Greystache
10-04-2015, 11:59 PM
Everitt is an honest battler who's earning his place. Jones just doesn't want it enough. Tutt was never good enough, not even close.

boydogs
11-04-2015, 12:02 AM

13 touches between them, at that rate pick 46 looks like a good result

Remi Moses
11-04-2015, 04:00 AM
Thought Everitt was good tonight .
Tutt was his usual ineffective self, and Jones barely touched it.
In fairness to him the ball hardly got into their forward half.

Remi Moses
11-04-2015, 04:02 AM
Everitt is an honest battler who's earning his place. Jones just doesn't want it enough. Tutt was never good enough, not even close.

That's the issue with Liam, as it doesn't matter how fit he gets ,or his coach calls him a beast.
He doesn't want it bad enough

Webby
11-04-2015, 07:03 AM
Jones's output in rd 2 was eerily similar to his output in rd 1.... Which was eerily similar to his output for us.

I reckon he and Carlton would be starting to get that post-purchase-dissidence feeling!

The feel good factor is back at the kennel and the feel bad factor looks to be well and truly back at Princes Park... Meanwhile, at GWS, they laboured to get past Sht Kilda. They say the best way to get over an ex is to lead a happy and successful life... Well more so than said ex, anyway! I'm confident that Griff, Jones and Tutt are good exes to have.

comrade
11-04-2015, 08:01 AM
Thought Everitt was good tonight .
Tutt was his usual ineffective self, and Jones barely touched it.
In fairness to him the ball hardly got into their forward half.

It's an easy excuse for Jones to use, but why not get on your bike and provide an option further up the field? Henderson had a quiet one but he was still prepared to to create contests.

Jones just doesn't have it. Even the one decent mark he took was a two grabber that was lucky to fall into his arms.

ledge
11-04-2015, 08:26 AM
We can hang it on these players as much as we want but in reality we had them on our list for 4 or so years and still wanted to keep them, so we obviously still thought they were good enough.
We might have been saved two mediocre players on our list by default.
They left us we didn't push them out.

ratsmac
11-04-2015, 10:36 AM
I am starting to actually feel sorry for Tutt and Jones as the realisation that they have made a terrible mistake is starting to sink in. I hope Cooney, Higgins and the former #16 get that same feeling when this group of lads hold the cup aloft one day.

Webby
11-04-2015, 10:55 AM
I am starting to actually feel sorry for Tutt and Jones as the realisation that they have made a terrible mistake is starting to sink in. I hope Cooney, Higgins and the former #16 get that same feeling when this group of lads hold the cup aloft one day.

Don't!!

It's good for our club to have a few "reverse negatives" about the place. Its a good example and sends a good message about the place. Leaving Footscray is not a good move. The Nathan Brown suite.

azabob
11-04-2015, 10:58 AM
The Nathan Jones suite?

Remi Moses
11-04-2015, 01:57 PM
We can hang it on these players as much as we want but in reality we had them on our list for 4 or so years and still wanted to keep them, so we obviously still thought they were good enough.
We might have been saved two mediocre players on our list by default.
They left us we didn't push them out.

Maybe, but they also could be jockeying for half decent draft picks for those players.

Sedat
13-04-2015, 10:13 AM
I am starting to actually feel sorry for Tutt and Jones as the realisation that they have made a terrible mistake is starting to sink in.
Terrible mistake? Jones managed to get a 3 year contract, and amazingly Tutt got 2 years out of stupid Carlton. I would suggest both these two are headed for Eker status on the back of such generosity from Carlton's footy dept.

bornadog
13-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Higgins doing well at North. Good on him.

Hotdog60
13-04-2015, 10:39 AM

Got enough of the ball but only had 2 tackles for the game and 1 tackle the week before.
All the best to Shaun I always wished he could have built on the 1st or 2nd season he had with before the elbow injury.
I think he wouldn't have the intensity for our new style of play and he struggled with the last style of play also.
I think if you remove the past merits all the players that have left with exception to number 16 would not have helped us move forward.

Dancin' Douggy
13-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Got enough of the ball but only had 2 tackles for the game and 1 tackle the week before.
All the best to Shaun I always wished he could have built on the 1st or 2nd season he had with before the elbow injury.
I think he wouldn't have the intensity for our new style of play and he struggled with the last style of play also.
I think if you remove the past merits all the players that have left with exception to number 16 would not have helped us move forward.
You would think though Hotdog, but then again, having a morose and unwilling captain must have really dragged the enthusiasm down across the whole group. They all just look like a huge heavy weight has been lifted off their shoulders. Maybe it's actually better that Griffynne isn't there full stop. Looking at games over the last few years, I don't think I ever saw him smiling. He was playing good serious committed footy, but seemed to be doing it joylessly.

Sedat
13-04-2015, 11:42 AM
He is the cherry on top of the cake. But if you don't have the cake, the cherry has nowhere to sit. Did Norf really need another one-way finisher in the Dal Santo mould? Time will tell. There's no doubting his talent and skill.

Maddog37
13-04-2015, 11:54 AM
I would prefer Honeychurch in my team than Higgins.

Mofra
13-04-2015, 12:00 PM
I would prefer Honeychurch in my team than Higgins.
Higgins is a much, much better player than Honeychurch is so many ways.

But I agree with you.
Our gameplan is based on tackling pressure, and for all the things Higgins can do better than Honeychurch - right now Honey is better than Higgins in the one aspect of his game that is the most important to us.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Higgins is a much, much better player than Honeychurch is so many ways.

But I agree with you.
Our gameplan is based on tackling pressure, and for all the things Higgins can do better than Honeychurch - right now Honey is better than Higgins in the one aspect of his game that is the most important to us.

Honeychurch Wallis and Jong are all tougher than Higgins, which is significant. Higgins will continue to struggle against stronger opposition, even though he is talented as you have suggested.

bulldogtragic
13-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Higgins is akin to professional athletes like Coop & Reimer. They're no good at one on one, but from a free throw line with no physical pressure they're great. Thinking, he's more like Squeak than the gun players of Coop & Reimer.

boydogs
13-04-2015, 02:19 PM
Higgins is akin to professional athletes like Coop & Reimer. They're no good at one on one, but from a free throw line with no physical pressure they're great. Thinking, he's more like Squeak than the gun players of Coop & Reimer.

Yep, starred in the preseason without the physical pressure. Terrific skills but doesn't have the physicality or two-way running

Bulldog Revolution
16-04-2015, 08:37 AM
Happy to occasionally see ex's in real life, but when it comes to the dogs, our ex's are dead to me - I cease to care about anything they do post us

I dont wish for bad things to happen to them, I just dont care, my only interest is the players we have

Axe Man
17-04-2015, 11:56 AM
Another Brian fade by Lake:

Lake in court for driving while suspended (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-17/lake-in-court)

HAWTHORN'S Brian Lake will appear in the Melbourne Magistrates' Court on Friday for the offence of driving while suspended.

Hawthorn said in statement that Lake had notified the club at the time of the offence and explained he was unaware that he had exceeded his demerit point limit.

bornadog
17-04-2015, 12:38 PM
Another Brian fade by Lake:

Lake in court for driving while suspended (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-17/lake-in-court)

HAWTHORN'S Brian Lake will appear in the Melbourne Magistrates' Court on Friday for the offence of driving while suspended.

Hawthorn said in statement that Lake had notified the club at the time of the offence and explained he was unaware that he had exceeded his demerit point limit.

Great trip to training from Caroline Springs to Waverley. :D

Bad enough with a car.

Twodogs
17-04-2015, 01:10 PM

Bad enough with a car.

I think that Hawthorn might organise another means of transport for him. Helicopter, rocket ship or something along those lines. ;)

Webby
17-04-2015, 01:42 PM

Bad enough with a car.

Surely he doesn't still live in Caroline Springs!??

bornadog
17-04-2015, 01:52 PM

Just guessing

Maddog37
17-04-2015, 02:10 PM

Reckon he does...

Maddog37
17-04-2015, 02:10 PM
I think that Hawthorn might organise another means of transport for him. Helicopter, rocket ship or something along those lines. ;)

Rocket ship for a rocket scientist!!

Remi Moses
17-04-2015, 03:04 PM
Saw Cooney at Altona Gate in a Chinese medicine shop. He was with his daughter and I asked her if she still follows the Dogs.
Adam told me she follows the Dogs Hawks and Bombers . Seems like a nice bloke .
Side note- Tutt's been dropped:confused:

Sedat
17-04-2015, 03:13 PM
2 year contract he got - very nice work by Tutty's manager

G-Mo77
17-04-2015, 03:17 PM
2 year contract he got - very nice work by Tutty's manager

Did we offer him 2. I know we wanted him to stay or at least said that in public. But you're right there, his manager deserves a medal.

Twodogs
17-04-2015, 03:39 PM

Rebuilding policy. Probably.

AndrewP6
17-04-2015, 08:36 PM
Last I heard Lake was still in CS.

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Did Coooooney play on the weekend? Why not?

Liam Jones had 1.3 and 9 disposals, fairly typical, did anyone see it?

Griff had 29 disposals along with Ward. Wouldn't it be nice to have Ward in this side?

Maddog37
27-04-2015, 06:29 PM

Griff had 29 disposals along with Ward. Wouldn't it be nice to have Ward in this side?

Coons has done a hammy.

Webby
27-04-2015, 06:40 PM

Cooney did a hammy. Also noticed Lake's knee go... Father Time..
I was thinking exactly that about Jones - he's consistently underwhelming.

With Griffen, I prefer Tom Boyd, whilst we got Macrae for Ward. I don't fret for him anymore.

PS. Wouldn't it be nice to have Libba and Wallis in our midfield?!

bulldogtragic
27-04-2015, 07:02 PM
Funny thing is, like yesterday, Jones would've had the 4th best defender. I hes off to be fading into nothing.

Webby
27-04-2015, 08:42 PM
I actually got to thinking to myself today, "I wonder if Jones and Tutt have formed their own little support group?.. Consoling each other?"

What a poor, poor career move..!

G-Mo77
27-04-2015, 09:49 PM
I actually got to thinking to myself today, "I wonder if Jones and Tutt have formed their own little support group?.. Consoling each other?"

What a poor, poor career move..!

Tutt would struggle to get a game here and he got a decent contract at Carlton so it was a pretty good career move for him.

Jones I don't know. He went from a bad side to a worse side. I still think he would have been better off staying here. Oh well.

Both will probably not play AFL football once their contracts are up. Jones may get thrown a bone because of his size.

azabob
27-04-2015, 10:21 PM
Out of interest who would Jones play ahead of?

Ghost Dog
27-04-2015, 10:32 PM

Far out. This thread is a curly one!

G-Mo77
27-04-2015, 11:28 PM
Out of interest who would Jones play ahead of?

Right now? No one. He'd be fighting with Redpath/2nd Ruck for a spot in the team. I know where I'd rather play though if I had to earn my spot.

How long does it take you guys until the Bulldog wears off? I stopped following Jones in about Round 2, was interested to see how he'd go, lost interest. Tutt I didn't even worry about checking, same with Higgins. Coons I still keep an eye on. The other guy was dead in October.

LostDoggy
28-04-2015, 02:59 PM
Cooney did a hammy. Also noticed Lake's knee go... Father Time..
I was thinking exactly that about Jones - he's consistently underwhelming.

With Griffen, I prefer Tom Boyd, whilst we got Macrae for Ward. I don't fret for him anymore.

PS. Wouldn't it be nice to have Libba and Wallis in our midfield?!

Haha, yes please, just amazing how the boys have gone considering some key outs.

Right now? No one. He'd be fighting with Redpath/2nd Ruck for a spot in the team. I know where I'd rather play though if I had to earn my spot.

How long does it take you guys until the Bulldog wears off? I stopped following Jones in about Round 2, was interested to see how he'd go, lost interest. Tutt I didn't even worry about checking, same with Higgins. Coons I still keep an eye on. The other guy was dead in October.

I remain interested, I'm still interested in Everitt, I still feel like he is a guy we could have done better with... but not much ;)

Jeanette54
28-04-2015, 03:09 PM
I remain interested, I'm still interested in Everitt, I still feel like he is a guy we could have done better with... but not much ;)

Yes that's my thoughts too, ie. Did we do our best for the player involved, and could we have better developed the potential that was there ? Contractual negotiations aside, there will usually be a gap between what a player and the club think he is worth, but it is always a moot point when people leave for performance reasons.

Remi Moses
04-05-2015, 04:45 AM
Interesting hearing Mark Fine( grain of salt occasionally)
Commented how disappointing Griffon's been.
Gotta say I agree, he's been quiet

1eyedog
04-05-2015, 10:18 AM
Far out. This thread is a curly one!

You mean post

Twodogs
04-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Looking sharp

http://photos-f.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xap1/10467741_267475570107093_860767086_a.jpg

I thought I had some weird tats.

Murphy'sLore
04-05-2015, 12:23 PM

Noticed that too. Maybe he's tortured with regret. Maybe he's still depressed?

Not that I really care.

Ozza
04-05-2015, 12:34 PM

It can take a while to settle into the swing of things properly with a new side. He'll still be a good player, but I'm hoping he's best is well and truly behind him.

craigsahibee
04-05-2015, 02:25 PM
I saw Lucas Markovic play for South Croydon on the weekend.

I think he ate Woofa.

merantau
12-05-2015, 11:36 PM
I really don't like seeing our ex-players going around for other clubs. Bernie Quinlan, Barry Round, Gary Dempsey, Brian Wilson, Leon Cameron, Dennis Collins, Jordan McMahon, Greg Epulston, Michael McKenna, Keenan Reynolds and the list goes on. David Thorpe, George Bisset, Alan Stoneham, Wayne Foreman, Peter Featherby, Ian Low, Shane Ellen. We've had a lot of handy to very good to Champion players leave for other clubs for whatever reason I'm sure others could add to the list. We've had some good pick ups too. Tony Liberatore, Peter Foster, Gordon Casey, Stuart Magee, Terry Wallace Jose Romeo, Paul Dimattina, Paul Hudson and Glen Coleman foremost among them IMO.

Twodogs
13-05-2015, 12:01 AM
Chris Burton dropped a large hint by turning up to training wearing Richmond socks one night.

LostDoggy
15-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Check out the realestate agent in my area...

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-seaview+downs-119784411

bulldogtragic
15-05-2015, 04:11 PM
Check out the realestate agent in my area...

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-seaview+downs-119784411

I hope he sells better than he kicks! :)

LostDoggy
15-05-2015, 04:18 PM
I hope he sells better than he kicks! :)

He'd want to, the package isn't stacking up to the price in this case..

Remi Moses
15-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Hope he's harder in selling a house than he was the footy;)

soupman
15-05-2015, 06:19 PM
Seems like it's a common career choice. Ben Harrison is one too.

Twodogs
15-05-2015, 06:21 PM
Dennis Pagan is a real estate salesman too, or was one not long ago.

LostDoggy
15-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Dennis Pagan is a real estate salesman too, or was one not long ago.

I think Den is more into rural property, Pagan's Paddocks!

merantau
18-05-2015, 10:25 PM
Was good to see Shaun Higgins kick the sealer against the team that was involved in that research programme a couple of years back. Just as long as he doesn't kick a goal against us! It was a pity he lost his way after such a promising start with us. I guess onjuries had a bit to do with it. He did play some good games off half-back for us towards the end.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2015, 10:31 PM
Was good to see Shaun Higgins kick the sealer against the team that was involved in that research programme a couple of years back. Just as long as he doesn't kick a goal against us! It was a pity he lost his way after such a promising start with us. I guess onjuries had a bit to do with it. He did play some good games off half-back for us towards the end.

Fair call. But he and the former coach not seeing eye to eye had a lot to do with it. Admitedly, him not doing what the old coach wanted was some part if it.

comrade
18-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Higgo is one that I feel no animosity towards. His career had stagnated and it was better for both parties to move on.

I reckon he'll get a shock at the lift in intensity when he comes up against us.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2015, 02:49 PM
A few different media folk have said Tutt was dropped for 'attitude reasons'. Not sure what that means.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2015, 03:13 PM
A fit and confident Higgins is shining at North this year, not off half back.

I guess that's another player position change that is working this year: Wood, Grant, Boyd, Dahl, Roughy, Picken, Wallis, Higgins.

Hard not to be critical of the past coach when the natural talent of players on the list last year rises to a new level.

Twodogs
11-08-2015, 03:17 PM
I see what you mean but he left us some pretty good traits instilled in some bloody good players. I wasn't much of a fan either but he's due at least part of the Cup.

Dancin' Douggy
11-08-2015, 03:33 PM
The drafting under McCartney really was great too you have to say.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2015, 03:41 PM
I'm not saying Macca didn't do anything good. But the mammoth improvement in players who used to player under him this year is breath takingly staggering. Wood, Grant, Dahl, Wally, Higgins, Boyd and Picken are arguably having their career best form. Our improvement (and Higgins improvement) is not due to incremental growth from young players, it is coming from these players who are now playing more natural footy, in positions that marry their skills sets for the betterment of the side. The common theme seems to be not being played essentially out of position by the (ex) coach.

Twodogs
11-08-2015, 04:41 PM
But maybe they are better players because of their experience under Macca playing in different positions or back at Footscray working on aspects of their game?

But the improvement this year has been immense.

jeemak
11-08-2015, 06:22 PM
Interesting take on things from Higgins himself:

"I've always thought that's where I played my best footy, but I probably haven't got my body in a position to be able to play that in the modern game ,where it's probably the hardest-working position on the ground," Higgins said on Monday night as a guest on Fox Footy's On The Couch, which in itself is an endorsement of his season.
"All the ducks have lined up over the past 12 months and my footy is where I always wished it would be," he said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/talking-point-who-is-the-afl-recruit-of-the-year-20150811-giwfpc.html#ixzz3iUKogtSo

I look at Dahl and Wally and think this is where they'd have been under previous administrations given our midfield injuries and losses this year. There's no doubt the latter has blossomed with continuity this year, but he was showing signs of being more than a negative player in patches between injuries last year. Dahl is making me look sillier by the day.

Picken has been a surprise, as has Boyd and the new coach really should be commended for seeing something in each of these players not many would have.

Wood had to play under a coaching team who rightly thought others like Roberts and Talia weren't ready for senior football consistently last year and didn't have Hamling to use, and I don't think any sane person would have used him as a key defender if they had viable alternatives to work with.

Roughead is the interesting one, his efforts in the ruck this year have been overrated and it will be interesting to see how his career progresses in the short to medium term.

Grant played his career best football under McCartney at the end of 2013, and was cruelled by injury and terrible output last year when he finally got his chances. He's also been dropped after indifferent form early in the year this year, and it's great he's now putting consistently productive games together.

bulldogtragic
15-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Nathan Brown - I want to play finals
Adam Cooney - I want to play in front of big crowds
Rhyanne Gryphon - I want a new start and want to play in finals

Sir Michael said it best: You cant always get what you want.

comrade
15-08-2015, 09:04 PM
I like Rylee Gruffknuckle personally.

Remi Moses
15-08-2015, 09:14 PM
Griffin's a shadow of himself .
Probably a bit harsh on a shadow, as I'm sure it shows better leadership.
Higgins has been excellent, but against the big boys (forwhere North have recruited specifically for) he didn't fire a shot .
Finals will be interesting

Remi Moses
15-08-2015, 09:15 PM

The spongey surface says hello;)

jeemak
15-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Griffin's a shadow of himself .
Probably a bit harsh on a shadow, as I'm sure it shows better leadership.
Higgins has been excellent, but against the big boys (forwhere North have recruited specifically for) he didn't fire a shot .
Finals will be interesting

You should take some time to check his finals record versus his regular season games.

Twodogs
15-08-2015, 09:34 PM

To be fair Essendon's VFL side often crowds of almost 900. Yes 500 tecnically are only there to play the pokies but you can see the ground from parts of the gaming room. Probably.

bulldogtragic
15-08-2015, 09:55 PM
To be fair Essendon's VFL side often crowds of almost 900. Yes 500 tecnically are only there to play the pokies but you can see the ground from parts of the gaming room. Probably.

Is that from the all conquering bowls club? :D

Twodogs
16-08-2015, 04:04 AM
Is that from the all conquering bowls club? :D

I forgot the Saturday afternoon lawn bowls throng that can definatly see the ground. The must swell the number of people of people there to nearly 1250! And more than half of them are probably there to see the game.

Sedat
16-08-2015, 10:11 AM
The common theme seems to be not being played essentially out of position by the (ex) coach.
Lest we forget that our current captain was frequently played as a defensive lock-down small defender under the previous coach.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Lest we forget that our current captain was frequently played as a defensive lock-down small defender under the previous coach.

And Brian Lake had no good footy left in him 3 years ago as a full back either. He'd be so handy right now for us coming into finals.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2015, 05:46 PM
Lake on Josh Hill last quarter of the GF. Lake stands up when it counts, Josh Hills career summed up perfectly.

bornadog
03-10-2015, 05:51 PM
And Brian Lake had no good footy left in him 3 years ago as a full back either. He'd be so handy right now for us coming into finals.

That was a good decision from Macca

Bulldog4life
03-10-2015, 05:51 PM
That was a good decision from Macca

He didn't want to stay

bornadog
03-10-2015, 05:53 PM
He didn't want to stay

No comment

Bulldog4life
03-10-2015, 05:55 PM
No comment

Are you saying BAD he wanted to stay?

chef
03-10-2015, 05:55 PM
Well done to Brian.

GVGjr
03-10-2015, 05:58 PM

I know he lost a lot of faith with the club when some of the coaches questioned if he was legitimately injured. They must have felt bad when it was proven he was injured.

bornadog
03-10-2015, 05:58 PM

Pushed out.

Doesn't matttr anyway, it is all in the past.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2015, 06:02 PM
Pushed out.

Doesn't matttr anyway, it is all in the past.

Yep. We helped this three peat with a very generous trade and filled their glaring weakness. I hope we get some of the credit.

Bulldog4life
03-10-2015, 06:04 PM
I know he lost a lot of faith with the club when some of the coaches questioned if he was legitimately injured. They must have felt bad when it was proven he was injured.

I thought he left because he wanted to play in a premiership and didnt want to play in the forward line

chef
03-10-2015, 06:10 PM
Win/win list management. Im sure we'd do it again if we had the chance.

GVGjr
03-10-2015, 06:40 PM
I thought he left because he wanted to play in a premiership and didnt want to play in the forward line

There is a bit to that of course but he was never the same towards the club when his integrity was questioned.
I used to know his cousin and she said it didn't sit well with him.

jeemak
03-10-2015, 06:58 PM
It should be noted the majority of the damage in that regard was done by the previous coach, not McCartney.

McCartney and his team were falling over themselves to get rid of Brian, and imploring him to play forward when he didn't want to was probably a strategy to force his hand to look elsewhere.

Something stood out for me on Ch7's Sunday show this year, when Rocket as GCS coach asked Gia what sort of team mate Brian was over the years and Gia was hamstrung by being polite rather than saying what he really wanted to say.

Letting Brian go was a win win for all parties. Sure the Hawks really benefited from it, and it's easier to fit a selfish player into a side that is on the up or on top of the game. It's pretty clear to me that he'd done his dash with us like a lot of other senior players had within the ensuing couple of years.

bornadog
03-10-2015, 07:38 PM
I am happy with the players we have now and the coach. We now need the icing on top to fix a few postional areas like rucks, KPD as well as getting more experience into the young players. The past players, I don't care about anymore, I wish them all the best for their future.

Now bring on 2016

jeemak
03-10-2015, 07:50 PM
I am happy with the players we have now and the coach. We now need the icing on top to fix a few postional areas like rucks, KPD as well as getting more experience into the young players. The past players, I don't care about anymore, I wish them all the best for their future.

Now bring on 2016

Big tick.

I think we'll never know how toxic things got with our senior playing group throughout 2011-2014. My guess it was pretty significant with the biggest tell being the admission that after the first Libba incident the club admitting its older players were not well adjusted to the new batch coming in and being able to form relationships with them.

Things seem to be on the right track now well and truly. It's great to have that feeling.

LostDoggy
03-10-2015, 09:26 PM
It should be noted the majority of the damage in that regard was done by the previous coach, not McCartney.

McCartney and his team were falling over themselves to get rid of Brian, and imploring him to play forward when he didn't want to was probably a strategy to force his hand to look elsewhere.

Something stood out for me on Ch7's Sunday show this year, when Rocket as GCS coach asked Gia what sort of team mate Brian was over the years and Gia was hamstrung by being polite rather than saying what he really wanted to say.

Letting Brian go was a win win for all parties. Sure the Hawks really benefited from it, and it's easier to fit a selfish player into a side that is on the up or on top of the game. It's pretty clear to me that he'd done his dash with us like a lot of other senior players had within the ensuing couple of years.

I also read a quote from Brian in the Herald Sun today about how fairy tales don't pay the bills. He strikes me as being very money-centred, and I doubt the Boyd contract would've sat well with him. There's no doubt in my mind that if he were still at the Dogs, he'd be the highest paid player by a mile and a half and when you put it like that, I think the right call was made.

Topdog
03-10-2015, 10:15 PM
I also read a quote from Brian in the Herald Sun today about how fairy tales don't pay the bills. He strikes me as being very money-centred, and I doubt the Boyd contract would've sat well with him. There's no doubt in my mind that if he were still at the Dogs, he'd be the highest paid player by a mile and a half and when you put it like that, I think the right call was made.

He certainly wouldn't be the highest paid at Hawthorn. He wouldn't have been highest with us either.

I'm happy for Lake, gave me a lot of great moments when representing our team.

jazzadogs
03-10-2015, 10:19 PM
Yeh I'm really happy for Brian. I would have been content if he'd just got the one, but at least he didn't let Josh Hill get a premiership today (who incidentally I actually thought played quite well for the Eagles, apart from his late interaction with Lake, in a team full of downhill skiers he stood up and made things happen).

Marty Pask, his manager, tweeted a picture of them captioned "it was just an idea...", so I think the argument that the club made him leave is a bit thin. He was quite happy to go.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2015, 10:23 PM
I think Josh Hill, butchering a certain goal which was touched by Lake, is enjoying the trade aspect of conversation rather than the embarrassing stuff up and adding his name to the list of missing players of GF day is Leon Davis, Jetta, Ballantyne etc.

Topdog
03-10-2015, 10:47 PM

I dont really see an issue with anything he has said here.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-03/clarko-wheres-my-contract-lake-says-its-hawks-or-caroline-springs

AndrewP6
04-10-2015, 12:22 AM

He took a pay cut to play at Hawthorn, so to say he's money-centred is a bit harsh. I doubt he'd be on the biggest money if he were still a Dog.

ledge
04-10-2015, 12:46 AM
He took a pay cut and openly admitted he wouldn't be at the dogs the next year thus giving us the chance to get something back for him as he still had a year on his contract to run, the hawks desperately needed him and him them. He left and looked after us and them.
A very good amicable trade done the right way.

craigsahibee
05-10-2015, 01:14 PM
He took a pay cut and openly admitted he wouldn't be at the dogs the next year thus giving us the chance to get something back for him as he still had a year on his contract to run, the hawks desperately needed him and him them. He left and looked after us and them.
A very good amicable trade done the right way.

Spot on. Based on the compensation rules around FA, we were likely to receive much less than Pick 26 (or thereabouts, please correct me if I'm wrong) which we received in the trade, as a result of the contract Hawthorn were prepared to offer Brian. The only disappointing part of the trade is that Hrovat hasn't cemented his spot in our best 22 yet.

Sedat
06-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Don't want to be the master of hindsight, but with the prospect of Hrovat leaving the kennel we are looking at a situation whereby Lake ends up playing more games for Hawthorn than Hrovat did for us - oh, and the small matter of 3 flags and a Norm Smith as well.

I am a huge advocate of list regeneration to ensure that new talent continues to come through, but if you are going to trade out established senior players you'd want to make sure you are getting true market value (my thoughts on the poor value we received on the Lake trade has been aired numerous times). Furthermore, I would resist trading out genuine elite talent (of which Lake most certainly is) unless they are out of contract and are adamant they want to leave (eg: Griff, Higgins, Cooney), and there is more than adequate talent coming through to replace that player (Markovic and Austin don't qualify as adequate replacements, and they did the bulk of our FB heavy lifting in the years immediately after trading out Lake).

We haven't made many poor list management decisions in the last few years but we read the Lake situation terribly at the time IMO. We even hastened the decision by deciding to play one of the finest FB's this century as a key forward to give opportunities to plodders now no longer on our list, which means we still have a glaring weakness in the area that Lake brilliantly filled for us. Sure we might get more value out of whoever we bring to the club from the Hrovat trade (pick or player) but that is not really the point.

1eyedog
06-10-2015, 11:58 AM
Don't want to be the master of hindsight, but with the prospect of Hrovat leaving the kennel we are looking at a situation whereby Lake ends up playing more games for Hawthorn than Hrovat did for us - oh, and the small matter of 3 flags and a Norm Smith as well.

I am a huge advocate of list regeneration to ensure that new talent continues to come through, but if you are going to trade out established senior players you'd want to make sure you are getting true market value (my thoughts on the poor value we received on the Lake trade has been aired numerous times). Furthermore, I would resist trading out genuine elite talent (of which Lake most certainly is) unless they are out of contract and are adamant they want to leave (eg: Griff, Higgins, Cooney), and there is more than adequate talent coming through to replace that player (Markovic and Austin don't qualify as adequate replacements, and they did the bulk of our FB heavy lifting in the years immediately after trading out Lake).

We haven't made many poor list management decisions in the last few years but we read the Lake situation terribly at the time IMO. We even hastened the decision by deciding to play one of the finest FB's this century as a key forward to give opportunities to plodders now no longer on our list, which means we still have a glaring weakness in the area that Lake brilliantly filled for us. Sure we might get more value out of whoever we bring to the club from the Hrovat trade (pick or player) but that is not really the point.

It was pretty clear that Lake wanted out and was disgruntled with the club. We certainly didn't help that situation. I'm still ok with getting Hrovat but there's no question we under-estimated Lake's longevity and in hindsight considering what Hawthorn got out of him he was worth more.

Sedat
06-10-2015, 12:12 PM
It was pretty clear that Lake wanted out and was disgruntled with the club. We certainly didn't help that situation. I'm still ok with getting Hrovat but there's no question we under-estimated Lake's longevity and in hindsight considering what Hawthorn got out of him he was worth more.
Agree with the bolded bit, and I'm also ok with getting a draft slider like Hrovat with the pick (instead of reaching for a Spencer White type for example). But I suspect that Lake was disgruntled due to our ambivalence about him at the time - and the PR spin at the time about "getting something for him now instead of losing him for nothing a year later" insults the intelligence of the fans. Reality is that we didn't rate his future contributions at the time and were more than happy to offload him - we read that assessment as incorrectly as you could get. That's not to mention that we dropped our pants on day 1 of a 3 week trade period with Hawthorn's first offer for a player type they desperately needed - Hawthorn lost the 2011 PF and 2012 GF almost purely because of the lack of a quality gorilla key defender. And that's also not to mention that we didn't have anyone of note coming through to replace Lake at FB - when Scarlett retired, Lonergan and Taylor were already established in the senior team and ready to assume the added responsibilities.

1eyedog
06-10-2015, 12:37 PM
No doubt we should have kept our powder dry until they coughed up a better deal. We could have also nabbed a reasonable player to compliment the second rounder we got. There must have been more internal strife at our club than what we were aware of. I'm struggling to believe that Dalrymple would have simply buckled like he did. He may have had pressure from elsewhere within the club to accept the trade in order to move Brian as quickly as possible. It was obvious Monty wanted him out and there was no doubt that Rocket was voicing his displeasure about Lake to his assistants.

I can't remember if any other clubs inquired after Lake at that time. Perhaps we thought it was Hawthorn or bust, needed him gone pretty badly, under-estimated his market value (and that's the real issue here as you state), and just took whatever we could get.

Interestingly Lake just retired from the AFL.

Sedat
06-10-2015, 12:42 PM
No doubt we should have kept our powder dry until they coughed up a better deal. We could have also nabbed a reasonable player to compliment the second rounder we got. There must have been more internal strife at our club than what we were aware of. I'm struggling to believe that Dalrymple would have simply buckled like he did. He may have had pressure from elsewhere within the club to accept the trade in order to move Brian as quickly as possible. It was obvious Monty wanted him out and there was no doubt that Rocket was voicing his displeasure about Lake to his assistants.

I can't remember if any other clubs inquired after Lake at that time. Perhaps we thought it was Hawthorn or bust, needed him gone pretty badly, under-estimated his market value (and that's the real issue here as you state), and just took whatever we could get.

Interestingly Lake just retired from the AFL.
BMac had already coached for a season when the decision was made to trade Lake out.

Greystache
06-10-2015, 12:50 PM
BMac had already coached for a season when the decision was made to trade Lake out.

The seed was well and truly sewn by the time BMac took over. Lake knew he had to have a good season in 2012 so he could get to the club of his choice, he couldn't do that after an injury ruined 2011, plus his reputation had taken a battering after the way he was handled and publicly questioned by his own club, but make no mistake he was counting down the days until he could leave.

2012 was only about convincing the external market he could still play.

Bulldog4life
06-10-2015, 12:51 PM
The seed was well and truly sewn by the time BMac took over. Lake knew he had to have a good season in 2012 so he could get to the club of his choice, he couldn't do that after an injury ruined 2011, plus his reputation had taken a battering after the way he was handled and publicly questioned by his own club, but make no mistake he was counting down the days until he could leave.

2012 was only about convincing the external market he could still play.

That's how I remember it too.

azabob
06-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Didn't Pask opening the conversation with "trade him now, or risk free agency in 12 months time"

Happy Days
06-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Pretty sure a LOT of posters on here called this in 2012.

chef
06-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Pretty happy with Stevens and Hrovat (hope we don't trade him) for Lake and Obrien. Win/win trade

boydogs
06-10-2015, 04:08 PM
We got unders in the Lake & Griffen trades because we were in weak negotiating positions. Not because of poor negotiation or list management

Sedat
06-10-2015, 05:04 PM
We got unders in the Lake & Griffen trades because we were in weak negotiating positions. Not because of poor negotiation or list management
Absolutely correct in the Griffen scenario but how on earth can you conclude we were in a weak position on day 1 of a 3 week trade period with the Lake scenario? There was no negotiation - we simply accepted the first ambit claim offered to us. We had the commodity that the other party was desperate for - Clarko just lost the 2011 PF by a kick and the 2012 GF by a kick and was not prepared to wait around for another 12 months to fix up his defence. Lake was now or never for them - we knew this and yet we made it awfully easy for them to get him.

bornadog
06-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Absolutely correct in the Griffen scenario but how on earth can you conclude we were in a weak position on day 1 of a 3 week trade period with the Lake scenario? There was no negotiation - we simply accepted the first ambit claim offered to us. We had the commodity that the other party was desperate for - Clarko just lost the 2011 PF by a kick and the 2012 GF by a kick and was not prepared to wait around for another 12 months to fix up his defence. Lake was now or never for them - we knew this and yet we made it awfully easy for them to get him.

Yep, we folded bloody quickly. Unfortunately we didn't have the team we have now in List management.

Happy Days
06-10-2015, 05:18 PM
Absolutely correct in the Griffen scenario but how on earth can you conclude we were in a weak position on day 1 of a 3 week trade period with the Lake scenario? There was no negotiation - we simply accepted the first ambit claim offered to us.

GOTTA CALL BURNS! Maybe I can still get that drink!

The Lake trade was unbelievable man-mismanagement then, now and forever. Given who was at the club at the time it's absolutely no surprise, too.

boydogs
06-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Absolutely correct in the Griffen scenario but how on earth can you conclude we were in a weak position on day 1 of a 3 week trade period with the Lake scenario?

He was gone for nothing the year after. Day 1 of the trade period means little, think how much trade talk there has been this year already and trade period hasn't started yet

jeemak
06-10-2015, 10:49 PM
I don't think we botched the trade as badly as some of you.

We were never going to secure the Hawks first round pick, and they were never going to trade out a player worthy of a first round pick in order to use it in the Lake trade.

Sure, we could have postured for higher ground and seen a significant portion of the trade period move on by but that could have resulted in us missing Stevens and securing a dud in the eventual deal.

Greystache
06-10-2015, 10:57 PM
I don't think we botched the trade as badly as some of you.

We were never going to secure the Hawks first round pick, and they were never going to trade out a player worthy of a first round pick in order to use it in the Lake trade.

Sure, we could have postured for higher ground and seen a significant portion of the trade period move on by but that could have resulted in us missing Stevens and securing a dud in the eventual deal.

We actually got their first and second round pick in exchange for Lake and our second round pick.

jeemak
06-10-2015, 11:00 PM
We actually got their first and second round pick in exchange for Lake and our second round pick.

Whoops, I should have double checked before I tried to make that point I botched!

Sedat
07-10-2015, 12:04 AM
Respectfully agree to disagree. The swapping of 2nd round picks was unnecessarily generous - we could have got pick 21 for Lake on its own, kept pick 27 and then got Stevens for our 3rd round pick which was only a few spots after Hawthorn's 2nd round pick.

All academic.

jazzadogs
07-10-2015, 12:12 AM
Yeh the addition of pick 27 definitely weighted the trade in Hawthorn's favour.

We can say that we underestimated Lake's ability to contribute in the last three years, but I would argue his best games were finals each year. Mid-season he just scraped along, and if he had stayed with us that would be the consistent output we could have expected.

chef
07-10-2015, 07:12 AM
I guess the problem is if you try and 'win' every trade no ones going to want to deal with you. Sometimes you get a bargain and sometimes you pay overs, it's the nature of the beast.

Lake was a cracking trade(if Hrovat hangs around on goes onto being a long term doggie)

LostDoggy
07-10-2015, 12:10 PM
I guess the problem is if you try and 'win' every trade no ones going to want to deal with you. Sometimes you get a bargain and sometimes you pay overs, it's the nature of the beast.

Lake was a cracking trade(if Hrovat hangs around on goes onto being a long term doggie)

Agree with comments on trade. Best ones are where everyone walks away a little stronger, by trading players/picks that are a better fit.

If Lake comes back to us for a successful year and Hrovat gives us another 100+ games (or we trade him for someone who does), the Lake/Hrovat trade will have to go down as a success.

Twodogs
07-10-2015, 03:21 PM

Yep. It's the price of doing business.

Happy Days
07-10-2015, 03:54 PM
Jason Tutt is in my office as we type. I could literally follow him if you guys want.

bornadog
07-10-2015, 04:15 PM
Jason Tutt is in my office as we type. I could literally follow him if you guys want.

Ask him if he regrets wanting out at the club.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2015, 04:17 PM

Can you ask him why he left? Inside scoop on Macca and Shocktober would be good too?

Dancin' Douggy
07-10-2015, 04:24 PM

I'm with you Sedat. It's all water under the bridge now...... but the first day of a 3 week negotiation window?
I'm 99% certain we could have got a better deal out of the hawks. It's the swap of picks that is the sticking point for me.

Happy Days
07-10-2015, 04:56 PM
Can you ask him why he left? Inside scoop on Macca and Shocktober would be good too?

Didn't get a chance to ask him anything, but I think we all know why he left.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2015, 04:57 PM
Didn't get a chance to ask him anything, but I think we all know why he left.

That weird long stalker like stare you game him the whole time he was at your work? :D

Happy Days
07-10-2015, 05:18 PM
That weird long stalker like stare you game him the whole time he was at your work? :D

Why he left the coffee room maybe, but not the club.

AndrewP6
12-10-2015, 03:50 PM
Adam Cooney's Twitter profile had him not as an AFL footballer, but in "client relations", with "Podium Finance". Preparing for post footy life, obviously. The company also features Tom Williams, Mark Austin and director Rick Olarenshaw. Coons was at Tommy's wedding, along with a who's who of former Bulldogs.

Twodogs
12-10-2015, 04:22 PM
What does Podium Finance finance do you know?

Rick has gone a fair way starting from his dad's paint shop in Sunshine.

bornadog
12-10-2015, 04:29 PM
What does Podium Finance finance do you know?

Rick has gone a fair way starting from his dad's paint shop in Sunshine.

http://www.podiumfinancial.com.au/

Mortgage brokers, lenders.

Twodogs
13-10-2015, 07:15 PM
I can remember playing kick to kick with Ricky in the car park behind his dad's shop while our dads talked about paint.

jeemak
13-10-2015, 11:28 PM
Stacking up a finance and brokering services with ex-footballers will no doubt ensure client first outcomes and a cohesive work structure.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Stacking up a finance and brokering services with ex-footballers will no doubt ensure client first outcomes and a cohesive work structure.

Or result in pure confusion through communication.

"So has my superannuation increased this year?" - "Yeah, nah."
"Should I move my savings into something more secure with a possible recession?" - "Yeah, nah. You can't look any more than one week at a time."

LostDoggy
14-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Or result in pure confusion through communication.

"So has my superannuation increased this year?" - "Yeah, nah."
"Should I move my savings into something more secure with a possible recession?" - "Yeah, nah. You can't look any more than one week at a time."

Hahaha, gold! I can imagine them struggling to get a promotion too: "Individual achievements are all well and good, boss, but all credit to the boys, I couldn't have done it without them."

Greystache
14-10-2015, 12:03 PM

Especially given their in depth knowledge of consumer lending and the breadth of their experience in the finance sector.

Adam "hey I bought a house in Caroline Springs once" Cooney is just the guy you want advising you on the best product for your home loan needs. I'd have more faith in him playing an accountable role on a dangerous opposition midfielder.

Happy Days
14-10-2015, 01:29 PM

Driving synergised solutions to meet performance based outcomes that target maximum personal brand trajectory.

You know, like when Bazza kicked 7 saussys against the Sainters.

Sedat
14-10-2015, 02:15 PM
This synergy should result in an increased focus on achieving mutually beneficial outcomes through incremental growth targets #bullshitbingo

Greystache
14-10-2015, 02:35 PM
This synergy should result in an increased focus on achieving mutually beneficial outcomes through incremental growth targets #bullshitbingo

While fundamentally agreeing with you, in my mind it's about synthesizing the core actionable agenda items of our inner loop strategic priorities to ensure pull through while not subjugating outer loop enterprise ideals through the lens of the microcosm of our immediate functionality.

#YesIWorkInStrategy #ThisIsMyDayToDay

Twodogs
14-10-2015, 03:38 PM
especially given their in depth knowledge of consumer lending and the breadth of their experience in the finance sector.

Adam "hey my manager invested some of my money in property in caroline springs once" "i think" "hey, how soft is this floor?!?!!?!!" cooney is just the guy you want advising you on the best product for your home loan needs. I'd have more faith in him playing an accountable role on a dangerous opposition midfielder.

efa.

jeemak
14-10-2015, 04:42 PM
I love corporate speak. It's so wanky.

Sedat
15-10-2015, 12:18 AM
I love corporate speak. It's so wanky.
There's definitely a paradigm shift in our communication flow.

jeemak
15-10-2015, 03:27 AM
There's definitely a paradigm shift in our communication flow.

It would be easily summarised as such, though engagement with workers in recent times has resulted in standardised communication becoming reflexive at basement levels. Single page operative worship is the next step, without it we'll be genuinely *!*!*!*!ed, and the *!*!*!*!s on the floor won't have a hope in picking it up.

Bulldog4life
15-10-2015, 09:53 AM
In The HUN today one of our ex's Justin Sherman coach of Kyabram was mysteriously sacked even though they played off in the grand final this year.

1eyedog
15-10-2015, 09:57 AM
In The HUN today one of our ex's Justin Sherman coach of Kyabram was mysteriously sacked even though they played off in the grand final this year.

Yeah he did a Wayne Carey I heard.

chef
15-10-2015, 10:22 AM

I live in Ky and its no mystery why he's been sacked.

comrade
15-10-2015, 11:46 AM
I live in Ky and its no mystery why he's been sacked.

Went fishing in someone else's pond, eh?

Dancin' Douggy
15-10-2015, 12:16 PM
While fundamentally agreeing with you, in my mind it's about synthesizing the core actionable agenda items of our inner loop strategic priorities to ensure pull through while not subjugating outer loop enterprise ideals through the lens of the microcosm of our immediate functionality.

#YesIWorkInStrategy #ThisIsMyDayToDay

Very funny, but uncomfortably close to the real thing. Which, of course, is nonsense.

Throughandthrough
15-10-2015, 12:33 PM
Nathan Eagleton now sells coffee

O’GRADY PLANS TO OPEN CYCLE ‘HUB’ IN ADELAIDE

STUART O’Grady has revealed plans to open a “cycling hub” in the Adelaide parklands.

In his first major project since the doping confession which ended his cycling career in July last year, O’Grady has gone into business with former AFL footballer Nathan Eagleton to open the “Velo Precinct” in the Victoria Park grandstand.

Vic Park currently hosts club and state-level criterium races and is also the site for the annual V8 Supercar Clipsal 500.

But O’Grady and Eagleton — who played 277 AFL games with Port Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs — hope to have a cycling centre and cafe open by next year’s Tour Down Under.

The centre would run daily spin classes and those who are really keen can bring their bikes in to ride stationary ergo trainers for more specific training. There are also plans to incorporate an outdoor cinema and other entertainment during summer.

“It’s an incredible location with an existing cycling track in front,” O’Grady said.

“The council are really trying to make it a vibrant area … and hopefully we can help out by providing a healthy lifestyle and nice community feel.

“(Office workers) just want to get out there, do a really good one-hour session and get home to be with the kids so whether that’s before or after work hopefully we can keep them nice and fit.”

Eagleton, who retired from AFL football in 2010, said the project would help rejuvenate the parklands and make good use of the grandstand.

“The city is flooded with cyclists most weekends and we can bring them to a hub for cycling with spin classes during the week morning and night,” he said.

I wonder if O'Grady asked Brian Lake what it's like to be in partnership with Nathan

chef
17-10-2015, 07:14 PM
Went fishing in someone else's pond, eh?

Nah, just didn't embrace the club and town(fly in fly out coach was never going to cut it) and apprently was a bit clique'y. Was coming for a while and would have been no surprise to anyone around the town(and Shermo). He got payed out his last year of his contract and Ky's got a local boy returning to take the reins. Everyone's a winner I guess.

EasternWest
24-10-2015, 08:15 PM

I wonder if O'Grady asked Brian Lake what it's like to be in partnership with Nathan

At the risk of sounding like an ill informed dimwit: please explain.

bulldogtragic
24-10-2015, 09:05 PM
At the risk of sounding like an ill informed dimwit: please explain.

Eagleton, Cooney & Lake started a kids play centre business. When it went belly up Eagleton sued them both. If memory serves me correct.

Ozza
26-10-2015, 03:07 PM
Eagleton, Cooney & Lake started a kids play centre business. When it went belly up Eagleton sued them both. If memory serves me correct.

I thought it was only Lake that Eagleton sued, over Lake owing a large sum of money to the business.

bulldogtragic
26-10-2015, 04:25 PM
I thought it was only Lake that Eagleton sued, over Lake owing a large sum of money to the business.

Could be wrong, but I thought Cooney was in the business venture too.

KT31
26-10-2015, 04:47 PM

Not sure he would have to be to worried, however if it was Lake there may be some tension.

Ozza
26-10-2015, 05:29 PM
Could be wrong, but I thought Cooney was in the business venture too.

Yes, Cooney was in it. I was just saying that I only remember Eagle suing Lake, not Cooney.

bulldogtragic
26-10-2015, 05:53 PM
Yes, Cooney was in it. I was just saying that I only remember Eagle suing Lake, not Cooney.

Yep.

Sedat
10-11-2015, 01:16 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/chris-judd-predicts-jason-tutt-will-establish-himself-at-carlton-20151028-gkkryk.html

Juddy's post-AFL career on the comedy circuit has started with all guns blazing. There's some rolled gold zingers in that article ;)

Twodogs
10-11-2015, 02:39 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/chris-judd-predicts-jason-tutt-will-establish-himself-at-carlton-20151028-gkkryk.html

Juddy's post-AFL career on the comedy circuit has started with all guns blazing. There's some rolled gold zingers in that article ;)

Rebuilding.

jeemak
10-11-2015, 09:37 PM
We still would have kept Tutt, under Bmac.

I thought he could have been a player if it wasn't for his inability to concentrate and first touch. Good luck to him.

bulldogtragic
10-11-2015, 10:04 PM

Funny ha ha... More like funny as in being handed a drink by Jim Jones and being told good things are around the corner. Seriously, the pressure on Jones from the Carlton BS machine has killed his career completely and this will do the same to Tutt too. A depth player in the worst team of the year after many, many years in the system is described like that. The Age loses any credibility to mock Murduch papers when it prints this BS.

Bulldog Joe
10-11-2015, 11:05 PM
We still would have kept Tutt, under Bmac.

I thought he could have been a player if it wasn't for his inability to concentrate and first touch. Good luck to him.

Tutt actually chose to go and clearly read the tea leaves and knew he would have a better chance to get games with the blues.

He does have some good attributes with his outside run and his kicking. Unfortunately for a player of his size the concrete hands are severely limiting on his potential for game day impact.

LostDoggy
11-11-2015, 12:50 AM
Tutt actually chose to go and clearly read the tea leaves and knew he would have a better chance to get games with the blues.

He does have some good attributes with his outside run and his kicking. Unfortunately for a player of his size the concrete hands are severely limiting on his potential for game day impact.

Tutt is a converter as well. Is AFL standard, but would struggle on our list. I wish him well.

Twodogs
11-11-2015, 12:58 AM
Speaking of exes Jason Akermanis is interviewing for a development coaching role at Essendon.

I always liked Aker. Thought that he gave us a couple of great seasons. Good luck to him at Essendon.

bornadog
11-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Funny ha ha... More like funny as in being handed a drink by Jim Jones and being told good things are around the corner. Seriously, the pressure on Jones from the Carlton BS machine has killed his career completely and this will do the same to Tutt too. A depth player in the worst team of the year after many, many years in the system is described like that. The Age loses any credibility to mock Murduch papers when it prints this BS.

This video package is how Carlton sold Jones to the faithful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdUJbGu1K04

bornadog
11-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Jason Akermanis wants development coach job at Essendon (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/jason-akermanis-wants-development-coach-job-at-essendon-20151110-gkvq8u.html)

Outspoken former AFL player Jason Akermanis hopes to join Essendon as a development coach.
The 2001 Brownlow Medallist and three-time Brisbane premiership player will reportedly interview for the role next week.

During his playing career Akermanis' public comments frequently made him a lightning rod for controversy and he had messy departures from the Brisbane and the Western Bulldogs.
He has also commented on Essendon's supplements scandal.
For the last two seasons Akermanis has coached country side North Albury.

"That's a long time ago now – half a decade ago since I played," Akermanis said of his many controversies as a player.
"My opinions and the way I go about things as a coach are completely the opposite to when I played.
"I'm a completely different person doing a completely different role."

LostDoggy
11-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Something about the mix of Aka with Worsfold and MacKenna just makes me smile. Particularly given some of the comments Aka made about the Worsfold coached mid 00s WCE teams and their dramatic development (particularly relevant given Essendon's current situation). Please let it be so.

Sedat
11-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Speaking of exes Jason Akermanis is interviewing for a development coaching role at Essendon.
Essendon truly are the gift that keeps on giving :D
This will end well, just like every single employment stint Akermanis has had in his adult life. He's just been unofficially kicked out of Nth Albury footy club from what I hear.

Greystache
11-11-2015, 12:45 PM
Akermanis is just about the most insecure person in football, which is the worst characteristic to have in a coach, this won't end well.

whythelongface
11-11-2015, 01:53 PM
Love this line from Judd

"But he bought into what Carlton were trying to do and I think he'd be pretty comfortable with his decision."

What exactly were Carlton trying to do??

Happy Days
11-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Akermanis is just about the most insecure person in football, which is the worst characteristic to have in a coach, this won't end well.

How won't it end well?

Noted homophobic, xenophobic dickhead remains unemployed - tick

Horrible organisation employs noted homophobic, xenophobic dickhead to develop employees - tick

Twodogs
11-11-2015, 03:47 PM
How won't it end well?

Noted homophobic, xenophobic dickhead remains unemployed - tick

Horrible organisation employs noted homophobic, xenophobic dickhead to develop employees - tick

He means it won't end well for Aker or Essendon. It'll be lovely for everyone else.

jeemak
12-11-2015, 01:30 PM
I think Happy Pants gets it and but all he sees is upside!

Remi Moses
12-11-2015, 02:38 PM
Well they are a narccist short in the box next season:confused:

Twodogs
12-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Well they are a narccist short in the box next season:confused:

Well they are a naccist short of how many they had in the box last season. I don't know how many you actually need

LostDoggy
11-12-2015, 11:02 AM
After 10+ years in the AFL and 205 senior games, Farren Ray is given jumper No.44 at NM and a locker naming him as Ray Farren. Now that's respect.

Greystache
11-12-2015, 11:29 AM
After 10+ years in the AFL and 205 senior games, Farren Ray is given jumper No.44 at NM and a locker naming him as Ray Farren. Now that's respect.

That's a "solid" name.

LostDoggy
11-12-2015, 11:40 AM
That's a "solid" name.

Don't get many Ray's these days. Ray Farren sounds like an NRL commentator - they should nickname him Rabbits.

Greystache
11-12-2015, 11:54 AM
Don't get many Ray's these days. Ray Farren sounds like an NRL commentator - they should nickname him Rabbits.

It was more a subtle reference to this little backhanded compliment.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIuFi7GVAAAW1_z.jpg

LostDoggy
11-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Gotcha. Poor old Rabbits, still he has eked out a pretty 'solid' career for himself.

Twodogs
11-12-2015, 12:26 PM

44 is a famous number. Just not at North...

That's a "solid" name.

Ray is part of my surname. How solid is that?

bornadog
11-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Gotcha. Poor old Rabbits, still he has eked out a pretty 'solid' career for himself.

Anyone that can play that many football games at the highest level is pretty good in my books.

Axe Man
11-12-2015, 03:34 PM
44 is a famous number. Just not at North...

Ray is part of my surname. How solid is that?

I really hope your surname is FootscRAY!

Twodogs
11-12-2015, 05:52 PM
I really hope your surname is FootscRAY!

With the opposite to a silent 'z'. So it's pronounced Footscrazy.

Sedat
14-12-2015, 01:21 PM
Don't get many Ray's these days.
Not since the glory days at Kardinia Park in the 80's with Ray Card and Ray Sterrett running around

Twodogs
14-12-2015, 01:59 PM
Ray Card was a good footballer.

bornadog
14-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Ray Huppatz

Twodogs
14-12-2015, 04:12 PM
It's a shame about Ray.

Murphy'sLore
15-12-2015, 11:25 AM
This forum needs a 'groan' button...

LostDoggy
15-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Yeah, not cool TD. I had Lemonheads songs going around in my head for hours after that post.

Is Evan Dando still alive?

If we're going to let Ray comments descend into musical references, Davies or Charles thanks :).

Twodogs
15-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Yeah, not cool TD. I had Lemonheads songs going around in my head for hours after that post.

Is Evan Dando still alive?

If we're going to let Ray comments descend into musical references, Davies or Charles thanks :).

Great cover band. I loved the versions they did of Beat Of a Different Drum and Mrs Robinson. I saw the Lemonheads at the Sarah Sands.

LostDoggy
15-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Great cover band. I loved the versions they did of Beat Of a Different Drum and Mrs Robinson. I saw the Lemonheads at the Sarah Sands.
Yeah I liked Different Drum particularly. Cool band in their day, my fave was If I Could Talk I'd Tell You, amusing but layered lyrics and very hummable tune.

bulldogtragic
12-01-2016, 08:38 PM
Adam Cooney in his twilight year, on one leg, leading the Essendon midfield with the number one tagger. Poor bastard.

LostDoggy
12-01-2016, 08:46 PM
Adam Cooney in his twilight year, on one leg, leading the Essendon midfield with the number one tagger. Poor bastard.

Could be worse. Could be named captain - or Goddard could get it. Either way, not good.

Twodogs
12-01-2016, 09:22 PM

He will always have the soft floor.

bornadog
13-01-2016, 12:08 AM

At least he will get games now.

jeemak
13-01-2016, 12:15 AM
I don't have any issues with Cooney living out the twilight of his AFL career eating camel shit, though I've always been one to think that irrespective of the coaching issues we had prior to 2015 our player issues were significantly worse and Cooney was somewhat of a major factor in them.

He'll still likely earn more than I'll ever earn in a single year each year his career plays out, so the joke's probably on me anyway.

Hotdog60
13-01-2016, 07:38 AM
I don't have any issues with Cooney living out the twilight of his AFL career eating camel shit, though I've always been one to think that irrespective of the coaching issues we had prior to 2015 our player issues were significantly worse and Cooney was somewhat of a major factor in them.

He'll still likely earn more than I'll ever earn in a single year each year his career plays out, so the joke's probably on me anyway.

I think we also needed to clean out the cupboard. So in hindsight the turmoil that happened was a huge sliver lining that has sent us steering in the right direction instead of moving in circles.

LostDoggy
11-02-2016, 03:05 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-11/giants-happy-to-wait-for-skippers-signature

Could we be interested here??

Is a local boy who seemed to love the club, just got an offer too good to refuse.

You can never have too many hard at it midfielders....

bornadog
11-02-2016, 03:12 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-11/giants-happy-to-wait-for-skippers-signature

Could we be interested here??

Is a local boy who seemed to love the club, just got an offer too good to refuse.

You can never have too many hard at it midfielders....

I would have him back.

Twodogs
11-02-2016, 03:13 PM
Couldn't get him back quick enough.

I'd drive to Sydney and pick him up myself.

bulldogtragic
11-02-2016, 03:18 PM
In a heart beat. I'd send him 20 cents and ask him to look at LeBron James.

How we'd be able to match a big offer, that's an issue.

LostDoggy
11-02-2016, 03:21 PM
In a heart beat. I'd send him 20 cents and ask him to look at LeBron James.

How we'd be able to match a big offer, that's an issue.

He's already taken the bucks once for a few years. Maybe if we are roughly in the ballpark, that'll be enough to bring him home?

bulldogtragic
11-02-2016, 03:23 PM
He's already taken the bucks once for a few years. Maybe if we are roughly in the ballpark, that'll be enough to bring him home?

I'd love that. But we've got Hooker, Hurley and Heppell to fit in too.

bornadog
11-02-2016, 05:33 PM
I'd love that. But we've got Hooker, Hurley and Heppell to fit in too.

Do that and we must lose some great potential coming through. Although Bob, Will, Morris and Boyd are nearing the end. Come to think of it, lets do the lot.

PS Cement head comes back to Willi every now and then and last year my mates son (wearing his WB kit) was kicking the ball around in the park, and guess who comes along and joins in.

Twodogs
11-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Do that and we must lose some great potential coming through. Although Bob, Will, Morris and Boyd are nearing the end. Come to think of it, lets do the lot.

PS Cement head comes back to Willi every now and then and last year my mates son (wearing his WB kit) was kicking the ball around in the park, and guess who comes along and joins in.

Cement Head still hangs out with quite a few of the bulldog boys. He told a few of them in 2014 that he wanted to come back to the Bulldogs. Or that he never should have left. One of those. He was pretty pissed at the time.

Axe Man
11-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Rumour on Big Footy (so take it with a large grain of salt) that Carlton has offered Ward a 6 year deal.

Webby
11-02-2016, 07:49 PM
I'd love Ward to come home and bear him no ill will. However, hopefully Hunter, Wallis, Dahlhaus, JJ, Webb, Cordy etc are such stars by the end of this season that we can't fit Ward in our salary cap. That's plan A, anyway.

Failing that, plan B is pretty tempting! He'll get offered the world elsewhere if he holds out, though.

Ghost Dog
11-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Rumour on Big Footy (so take it with a large grain of salt) that Carlton has offered Ward a 6 year deal.

I liked this response from a Dogs supporter.

"It's not like he'd leave his club for a huge contract elsewhere.

Oh wait..."

Carlton will be the whipping boys of the comp for the next 1-2 years I'd say. Can't see Callan Ward changing that. GWS are likely to play finals long before them. Does he want success? or to come home with his pocket's full of cash.

I haven't watched any Giants footy. No idea how he's going.

Hey you guys are a bit too softly accepting of this bloke. He turned his back on us for cash. Not interested and look forward to the Dogs reminding him of what he's missing out as we smash the Giants.

GVGjr
11-02-2016, 07:54 PM
It's all well to say yes to a return of Ward too the Dogs but it does open up a question about what we would be prepared to give up to get him? It's not like we have a weak midfield.

chef
11-02-2016, 08:10 PM
No thanks for me. Will cost the earth and i really don't want him back.

Doubt we'll be in the picture though, as our cap wont be able to fit him in

LostDoggy
11-02-2016, 10:06 PM
I liked this response from a Dogs supporter.

"It's not like he'd leave his club for a huge contract elsewhere.

Oh wait..."

Carlton will be the whipping boys of the comp for the next 1-2 years I'd say. Can't see Callan Ward changing that. GWS are likely to play finals long before them. Does he want success? or to come home with his pocket's full of cash.

I haven't watched any Giants footy. No idea how he's going.

Hey you guys are a bit too softly accepting of this bloke. He turned his back on us for cash. Not interested and look forward to the Dogs reminding him of what he's missing out as we smash the Giants.

I'm with you GD.

Left us for more cash and the promise that he would be captain of a pissant club.

He can choke on all of his grubby cash as far as I'm cocerned.

Ghost Dog
12-02-2016, 02:44 AM
It's all well to say yes to a return of Ward too the Dogs but it does open up a question about what we would be prepared to give up to get him? It's not like we have a weak midfield.

He was a good player for us at a time when we didn't have too many guys standing up as he could, but now we are better poised, he might not shine so brightly.

LostDoggy
12-02-2016, 08:47 AM
He was a good player for us at a time when we didn't have too many guys standing up as he could, but now we are better poised, he might not shine so brightly.

Fair query, but I'd take the opposing point of view. If he could do well hard at it as a kid in those Macca teams, imagine him as a seasoned player with the support he'd get now. I'm not saying we should throw everything at him, but if he's still got a soft spot for us and would come for a little under open market price, we'd have to have a nibble I'd reckon.