PDA

View Full Version : Sledging - Selwood - comments directed at Mitch Clark

Ghost Dog
10-04-2015, 09:32 PM
This came up on twitter.

Joel Selwood has revealed he was made aware of comments directed at Mitch Clark during Geelong's clash with Hawthorn: afl.to/1FoKRPz

Depression is a serious issue, and I hope Mitch is healthy and able to stand up on his own two feet. But this poses an interesting question.

Where do you draw the line? In cricket, it seems appropriate and acceptable to use all manner of verbal tactics to unsettle an opponent. If we played Geelong in an important game, and Mitch was playing well, would and should players be warned off sledging him about his mental game? Professional Sport is largely about mental toughness and players try to do exactly that, get inside each other's heads.

GVGjr
10-04-2015, 09:34 PM
It's a fine line isn't it. Personally I'd leave it alone but many won't..

jeemak
10-04-2015, 09:38 PM
As I matured I realised that sledging people over things they can't change is pointless and silly. There's usually enough things they can to go with anyway.

Happy Days
10-04-2015, 09:38 PM
It's the shittest of shit form and the player responsible should be fined.

We talk all the time of wanting players to be able to speak freely and get the help they need, and garbage like this sets that back 20 years.

This is like when Aker told players to "stay in the closet."

Twodogs
10-04-2015, 09:43 PM
It's a fine line isn't it. Personally I'd leave it alone but many won't..

Yep. It's an art to choose what to say and what to leave alone. I was taught the idea is hone in on a weakness in your opponents game and chip ep away at that. Not his lifestyle or personal politics or religion or things he can't change.

Ghost Dog
10-04-2015, 09:47 PM
It's the shittest of shit form and the player responsible should be fined.

We talk all the time of wanting players to be able to speak freely and get the help they need, and garbage like this sets that back 20 years.

This is like when Aker told players to "stay in the closet."

Fined? Hmm but as GVG points out, it's a fine line. People get called 'weak' all the time on the footy field all the time. Christ, I heard our own supporters call Gia that a hundred times ( made me furious ).
Joel Selwood is no angel himself. I just hope he's prepared to show as much grace to any of ours.

Twodogs
10-04-2015, 09:58 PM
He's a serial offender. Particularly against our guys he goes OTT.

Happy Days
10-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Fined? Hmm but as GVG points out, it's a fine line. People get called 'weak' all the time on the footy field all the time. Christ, I heard our own supporters call Gia that a hundred times ( made me furious ).
Joel Selwood is no angel himself. I just hope he's prepared to show as much grace to any of ours.

Surely this is different though?

bulldogtragic
10-04-2015, 10:25 PM
Surely this is different though?

I would never, ever do it. Nor would I like to hear our guys say it. Ever. But I can see how some players could reason it like like a physical injury - and then akin to Kretiuk punching Lloyd's hand all game. Their assumption being he is now fit psychologically which is why he's out there, and it's not breaching the rules...

I don't agree with the above, but I figure that's how they justify it. I think it's akin to Latham's comments on mental illness, which is not helpful.

LostDoggy
10-04-2015, 10:45 PM
This touched a nerve for me, for personal reasons. But one thing I hate about depression is the assumption that all depressed people are the same. I'd rather be sledged than have people walking on egg shells around me all the time. It doesn't help you feel normal, it does the opposite. Whenever I get really down I often call my old man, who tells me to straighten/harden up, and sometimes that really helps. But my point is that's me, and somebody else might go right off the deep end if told the same.

I'd wait and see what Mitch Clark has to say about it (if anything) and go from there. It's important that he take control of it himself and not have the world speak for him.

Happy Days
10-04-2015, 10:51 PM
I would never, ever do it. Nor would I like to hear our guys say it. Ever. But I can see how some players could reason it like like a physical injury - and then akin to Kretiuk punching Lloyd's hand all game. Their assumption being he is now fit psychologically which is why he's out there, and it's not breaching the rules...

I don't agree with the above, but I figure that's how they justify it. I think it's akin to Latham's comments on mental illness, which is not helpful.

I've come to understand insulting behaviour under a credence I came up with myself (because I am so, SO smart); that just becaue an explanation is backward and invalid and ridiculous, does not mean it isn't an explanation.

Sadly, you're right, and this is one of those times.

bornadog
10-04-2015, 11:06 PM
I'd wait and see what Mitch Clark has to say about it (if anything) and go from there. It's important that he take control of it himself and not have the world speak for him.

Reported in The Age.

Mitch Clark has told friends he was severely "embarrassed" by reports he was verbally sledged about his depression during the Easter Monday Geelong-Hawthorn clash, describing the incident as "water off a duck's back" and that he was disappointed the story had become public.

Story here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/sledging-accusations-leave-mitch-clark-embarrassed-20150410-1midiw.html)

Interesting Hawks players sledged Motlop for drinking at a country football match where Luke Hodges brother was playing. Geelong players over heard and now he is suspended.

bulldogtragic
10-04-2015, 11:06 PM
I've come to understand insulting behaviour under a credence I came up with myself (because I am so, SO smart); that just becaue an explanation is backward and invalid and ridiculous, does not mean it isn't an explanation.

Sadly, you're right, and this is one of those times.

I think it's similar to the whole St. Kilda playing Milne when he got charged, and the crowds either cheering or booing him and the offences he was charged with by the jumper he wore. 'Twas a backward step and this is similar in the media reporting. For example Mitch's depression was because his team was 'losing', or he is 'better' because he's gone to a 'winning' club. Or these words did or didn't occur and what they did, and then how the players would justify sledging him and his illness. The players and the media are role models whether we like it or not, and I don't think the advancement of a broader understanding of mental illness is occurring. How they ran the story when Clarke wants no action (apparently) is beyond me.

boydogs
10-04-2015, 11:12 PM
There's every chance a sledge over his depression will fire him up rather than put him off. I would leave it alone but I wouldn't legislate against it

1eyedog
10-04-2015, 11:17 PM
I wonder if Caddy has got any 'you've got no heart' comments
I don't like it, plenty other things to bang on about out there.

Ghost Dog
10-04-2015, 11:42 PM
Reported in The Age.

Story here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/sledging-accusations-leave-mitch-clark-embarrassed-20150410-1midiw.html)

Interesting Hawks players sledged Motlop for drinking at a country football match where Luke Hodges brother was playing. Geelong players over heard and now he is suspended.

God Almighty, does anyone else this is a touch over-reactionary? Ironic Motlop was BOG. Maybe he's on to something, let em' have an ale a few days out.

Maybe a bit of tit for tat going on with Selwood. Interesting to hear Mitch Clarke is a bit embarrassed. I hope he comes out and has a blinder. Who would want your captain coming out doing a he-said thing in the media? Geelongr are starting to get a track record with this. The Scarlett admissions about Harvey and what were said were embarrassing. It should all stay on the field if you are a man, unless it's not acceptable from a legal or community standard viewpoint.

Well put Scragger, and thanks for adding your personal experience.

Maddog37
11-04-2015, 10:09 AM
I always felt that if your opponent had a weakness you would try and exploit it. Gamesmanship is part of the sport and if used in the right way adds to the contest. The area of depression etc is borderline but I hate the fact our game is becoming so sanitised. I am torn on this one a little.

I have suffered from depression too so I feel I have some perspective.

jazzadogs
11-04-2015, 10:58 AM
From what I've heard, the player involved is prone to a brian fade so I'm not overly surprised!

bornadog
11-04-2015, 12:07 PM
I always felt that if your opponent had a weakness you would try and exploit it. Gamesmanship is part of the sport and if used in the right way adds to the contest. The area of depression etc is borderline but I hate the fact our game is becoming so sanitised. I am torn on this one a little.

I have suffered from depression too so I feel I have some perspective.

Where do you draw the line? Minson was chastised some years ago with his sledging was that any worse?

Maddog37
11-04-2015, 12:10 PM
I think my view is tainted by playing bush footy and we are talking about AFL. This is their workplace as well as a sport so the lines are blurred.

hujsh
11-04-2015, 01:42 PM
Depression isn't the same as a physical injury so I think sldging them specifically about that is pretty poor/weak. If that's what you have to do to win then maybe you aren't good enough and don't deserve to win.

Topdog
11-04-2015, 07:59 PM
From what I've heard, the player involved is prone to a brian fade so I'm not overly surprised!

You mean from whats been reported in the media?

azabob
11-04-2015, 08:04 PM

You mean from whats been reported in the media?

Clarke has denied he named Lake.