PDA

View Full Version : Operation Get Gary Ablett Junior ????

bulldogtragic
15-04-2015, 09:01 PM
Scuttlebutt is Gary & Rocket not best buds. Rumour is Gary might sit some time out. Gossip is he's banked enough cash so that's not the primary factor. Innuendo is he might chase a premiership, and as a result brownlows in a good side, but Geelong won't get a flag in his playing window.

Should, would, could we go after GAJ?

If the sticking point wasn't the amount of money, but was 4-5 years to get him down to kennel....

Discuss...

Go_Dogs
15-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Potentially, yes.

If there's merit to the rumours you've heard, I think its worth posing the question. He's a great player, and versatile in that he can spend time and be very damaging as a forward, as well as through the middle.

Webby
15-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Nope. We need all the Bont Bickies we can muster!

Besides, Ablett wouldn't want to be a three club player. Can't see it being anyone other than GC or Geelong.

Maddog37
15-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Cats will be the only option if he leaves IMHO.

Greystache
15-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Probably the best player I've seen, but I'm not sure we're the right fit just now. If we were 2 years more advanced or he were a couple of years younger I'd be all over it.

LostDoggy
15-04-2015, 09:30 PM
No thanks.
See his current injury being the start to his end.
Years of being battered and smashed in packs and hunted down might have just about caught up with him.
Besides would rather pool our war chest for our young crop of talent to keep the other clubs from baying like a pack of vultures at our door.

AndrewP6
15-04-2015, 10:21 PM
It's a no from me. His shoulder is knackered from all accounts.

Twodogs
15-04-2015, 10:30 PM
It's a no from me. His shoulder is knackered from all accounts.

Yeah. He isn't getting out on the park much lately. We'd have to give up too much.

boydogs
15-04-2015, 10:58 PM
He'll be back. Judd's shoulder has been screwed since he was about 22 and he's managed to play some good footy. Not in the right age bracket for us though

bulldogtragic
15-04-2015, 11:03 PM
4 seasons with finals, or 4.5 years gets his boys as father/sons.

If he took pedestrian money, but it was 4 or 5 years. That's more interesting to me as the risk is about a playing spot for some seasons rather than the money. That to me makes it a closer run thing. Like Hall & Aker, we are selling a chance at a flag.

FrediKanoute
15-04-2015, 11:07 PM
No. We have won our first 2 games of the season - talk of finals is premature. Talk of Premiership is delusional.

bulldogtragic
15-04-2015, 11:17 PM
No. We have won our first 2 games of the season - talk of finals is premature. Talk of Premiership is delusional.

Chance at a flag... Chance. Like the chance Hall & Aker thought they were buying. I'm not saying we are winning a flag, but if he is chasing a team likely to have success over or in 3-4 years time, then he might be more interested than Tom Lonergan last year. Or not.

jeemak
15-04-2015, 11:43 PM
Fantastic player, and I'd love to have him play for the Bulldogs and fitting into the team after his contract with the Suns is finished. I'd love to think that his ego isn't big, and there'd be no resemblance to the Akermanis stint with the Bulldogs as well. But I get the feeling I'd be living in a fools paradise.

Unfortunately Gary Ablett isn't going anywhere for modest wages. Gary isn't going anywhere as low profile as the Bulldogs.

Channel Nine bringing back McLeod's Daughters starring Gary Ablett Jnr is more likely than this prospect.

Remi Moses
16-04-2015, 01:20 AM
Not a hope in hell.

Bulldog Joe
16-04-2015, 01:30 AM
Well BT, I do agree it is unlikely.

However, we should still be making the enquiry.
Despite suggestions that we are getting ahead of ourselves, the profile he would bring would be enormous.

He would raise membership and improve crowds and our window will really be open in 3 years.
We have to be attractive to ANYONE thinking of premiership success.

FrediKanoute
16-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Chance at a flag... Chance. Like the chance Hall & Aker thought they were buying. I'm not saying we are winning a flag, but if he is chasing a team likely to have success over or in 3-4 years time, then he might be more interested than Tom Lonergan last year. Or not.

Still saying that any talk of a flag is clutching at straws......its a dream a great dream......but a dream nonetheless. Too ear;y to go shopping for top up players.

chef
16-04-2015, 08:33 AM
Umm......yeah no thanks. Would rather throw that fortune at a Rance or Carlisle

If Garys coming home Geelong will be his port of call.

westdog54
16-04-2015, 08:36 AM
By all means let's make an enquiry, but he certainly shouldn't be high on our list of priorities.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2015, 09:50 AM
Still saying that any talk of a flag is clutching at straws......its a dream a great dream......but a dream nonetheless. Too ear;y to go shopping for top up players.

Sorry, I'm being unclear. I'm not suggesting I'm thinking that. I'm poorly trying to say that Geelong & Hawthorn have players line up to go there in trade or FA. These players are making guesses on the likelihood success, as Aker and Hall did. I'm merely trying to say that some players will be looking to gamble a move in club to have a chance at success. If they think we will be successful, looking at our list and our players they could help improve, then we may have some players interested in coming here. I'm not talking of a flag, I'm talking of outside players thinking we could be worth a gamble and requesting trade/fa to us because 'they' might think we represent future success.

Hence, if Gary thought 'Libba, Bonts, Macrae, Stringer and a skilled small fleet would be great to play in. I think I could fit in well and I could improve them and they're skilled enough where I could win a brownlow. And overall with Boyd, Crameri, Stringer and others they can kick a score. I think given my involvement in that group we could challenge for a flag, which is a feeling I've deeply missed. Another charlie and cup is what I want now.'

Then what? This could be the only time he is available, but he'd want years committed. Timing is never perfect.

bornadog
16-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Gary Ablett is one of the best players I have seen play, especially in the midfield, however, at his age and the way his body is crumbling the only way I would want him is if he came cheaply.

We are better off to chance a Rance or just keep developing our great group of young players.

KT31
16-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Silly not to entertain the idea, but at the end of the day a no from me.
Would rather we had a crack at Rance and even see more value in spending the same dollars to get Ward back.

Mofra
16-04-2015, 11:06 AM
For the same cash/less we could chase Rance or another genuine tall defender.
Or we could go cheaper and look at a Robbie Tarrant type who would strengthen our list without costing too much.

I actually think our list looks ok and we can fill any deficiencies at the draft/trade table this year, although I think we're one ruckman short on our list.

FA List from Feb: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-18/updated-2015-free-agency-list

whythelongface
16-04-2015, 12:36 PM
As much as I would love him at our club I don't think he is the right fit at the moment.

If we are going after a FA or trade for a ready made player it needs to be a CHF or CHB type - someone who is in the 22-25 year age bracket who will be at their peak when we are a genuine premiership chance - 2017 onwards. At present our CHF options appear to be stop gap thus this should be our priority (unless Rance is looking).

Scraggers
16-04-2015, 01:02 PM
Yeah, No

No thanks ... does not suit the direction our club is going

Throughandthrough
16-04-2015, 01:43 PM
I
Scuttlebutt is Gary & Rocket not best buds. Rumour is Gary might sit some time out. Gossip is he's banked enough cash so that's not the primary factor. Innuendo is he might chase a premiership, and as a result brownlows in a good side, but Geelong won't get a flag in his playing window.

Should, would, could we go after GAJ?

If the sticking point wasn't the amount of money, but was 4-5 years to get him down to kennel....

Discuss...

Don't ask, don't get

F'scary
16-04-2015, 05:49 PM
We don't need 'kick it to Gazza.'

LostDoggy
16-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Agree KT!
Would rather us try and prize Ward back from the Plasticine Men.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2015, 06:09 PM
Agree KT!
Would rather us try and prize Ward back from the Plasticine Men.

Ward would need the captaincy I might think. Would you give it him?

bornadog
16-04-2015, 06:13 PM

Listening to Mooney on SEN, he says the Bont will be captain, he has Selwood like charisma when he walks in the door.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Listening to Mooney on SEN, he says the Bont will be captain, he has Selwood like charisma when he walks in the door.

Roughy, Hrovat, Stringer, Jack and Boyd (T) would be unlucky when Bob retires in 2019.

chef
16-04-2015, 06:39 PM

No and I really don't want him back.

chef
16-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Roughy, Hrovat, Stringer, Jack and Boyd (T) would be unlucky when Bob retires in 2019.

They would be unlucky, but Bonti is a once in a generation player and screams leadership. They'll deal with it.

LostDoggy
16-04-2015, 07:58 PM

Nope.
The Bont is the annointed one.
Maybe V.C for Ward?

azabob
16-04-2015, 10:17 PM

You can add Mitch Honeychurch to the list, the way he spoke and handled interviews this week has been a real credit to him and his family. Taking into account his work ethic don't rule him out.

Remi Moses
16-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Ablett would want a million a year for a couple, and the amount of A-graders we potentially have, it won't happen.
The question has to be posed has he hindered the development of their list?
The heavy reliance and the continual out the back possessions may have hurt them.

KT31
16-04-2015, 11:26 PM

The pangs of coming back west might be greater (very close to Mum etc), already proven to take money over loyalty, pipe dream maybe but better option IMO than Ablett.
If not give Shiel a crack and try and unsettle the $%^&ing Plastic &^%$'s, what do we have to loose ?

josie
17-04-2015, 12:33 AM
No to Gazza, unless he wants to play for moderate $ and Dr Zimmerman says he's shoulder is ok.

Regarding Ward, I'd be ok having him back, however IMO his lack of loyalty should not be rewarded with the captaincy or vice captaincy. Again I do not think we should pay big $ either.

Also, if we are going to bring in a midfielder from another club, I'd rather a player who is highly skilled and quick rather than another inside midfielder.

Go_Dogs
17-04-2015, 08:31 AM
Unrelated perhaps, but the latest article of AFL website suggests Rance is considering retirement.

Perhaps it's posturing to get rid of Hardwick, but it's concerning. I think we move away from chasing him.

bornadog
19-04-2015, 12:58 PM
From Twitter

Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL

Take it to bank that Gaz has agreed to terms ... Official presser early next week to confirm .. Final details ticked off

Go_Dogs
20-04-2015, 07:07 PM
Thanks BAD.

I'm quite interested in the responses in this thread. We have a lot of faith in our list if we don't want/need the best (albeit aging) player in the comp.

Scraggers
21-04-2015, 05:33 PM
Has officially recommitted for the next three years ... Very happy with that ... Don't need him

F'scary
23-04-2015, 02:33 PM
Ablett would want a million a year for a couple, and the amount of A-graders we potentially have, it won't happen.
The question has to be posed has he hindered the development of their list?
The heavy reliance and the continual out the back possessions may have hurt them.

The "kick it to Bucks" syndrome.

Ghost Dog
23-04-2015, 03:29 PM
No. We would have to pay overs and I'd rather do that for someone who will be around when we peak.
Wish Rocket all the best up there, but I wonder if Ablett's sense of entitlement will get in the way of group change.

bulldogtragic
29-10-2016, 01:17 PM
GAJs manager Liam Pickering has said GAJ may request a trade again next year as he wants back to Victoria. Being that Geelong have no currency again (trading their first rounder out, again) and probably not enough cap space, and we are the next closest training base & club to Geelong... would or should we consider getting into his ear and to GCS with our trade currency and salary cap bank for a couple of years of GAJ playing forward and pinch hitting in the midfield? That's a big top up in a premiership window, while he comes back, gets good dollars and a premiership or two.

Remi Moses
29-10-2016, 01:43 PM
Just reading some of the early posts it's just staggering we've won a flag from early last year .
Definite no to Ablett, and this " homesick" card is being played to often

The Doctor
29-10-2016, 02:17 PM
no thanks

Bulldog4life
29-10-2016, 02:39 PM
Big fat no.

Hotdog60
29-10-2016, 04:01 PM
No from me as well, there was news that he runs a clicky club with religious tones. And there's an inner sanctum at the club do we want him coming in upsetting the feng shui. Also his best is past him.

KT31
29-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Injuries and age make it a no from me as well.

LostDoggy
29-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Yeah Nah.

1eyedog
29-10-2016, 06:29 PM
Bad influence on everyone.

hujsh
30-10-2016, 02:13 PM
No zealots thanks. Would ruin the vibe.