PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 4 vs Adelaide

Eastdog
17-04-2015, 08:54 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 4 match against Adelaide at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
19-04-2015, 04:12 PM
There should be some good discussions for changes to next weeks team.

Go_Dogs
19-04-2015, 04:13 PM
We might struggle to field one given the injuries.

SquirrelGrip
19-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Out: Wallis (inj) Morris (inj) Goodes, Stevens
In: Bonty, M.Boyd, Hamling, Smith

Scraggers
19-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Cordy has to be an omission ... how he keeps getting a game is beyond me

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2015, 04:43 PM
OUT: Wallis, Morris, Cordy, Goodes
IN: Bont, Boyd, Hamling, Redpath, Hunter

- Picken is lucky we have injuries.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Out: Morris, Wallis, Cordy, Goodes, Picken
In: Roberts, Bonts, Boyd, Hunter, Redpath

GVGjr
19-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Guys, some reasons for the inclusions and omissions will help discussions.

bornadog
19-04-2015, 04:50 PM
OUT: Wallis, Morris, Cordy, Goodes
IN: Bont, Boyd, Hamling, Redpath, Hunter

- Picken is lucky we have injuries.

We need an extra man :D

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2015, 05:02 PM
We need an extra man :D

Maybe Adelaide won't notice ;)

Picken would be my other out.

bornadog
19-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Maybe Adelaide won't notice ;)

Picken would be my other out.

Wasn't Picken on Breaust and kept him pretty quiet?

Go_Dogs
19-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Are Bont and Boyd OK to come back?

What about Wood, who was oddly listed with a 'one week' hamstring?

lemmon
19-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Wasn't Picken on Breaust and kept him pretty quiet?
I thought it was Webb, was hard to pick with so much chopping and changing being done

bornadog
19-04-2015, 05:09 PM
I thought it was Webb, was hard to pick with so much chopping and changing being done

We kept their small forwards pretty quiet, so whether it was Breaust, or Puppolo, even Rioli only came good in the last quarter.

I think Picken did his job, even though disposal is not brilliant

The bulldog tragician
19-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Anyone know what Morris injury is?

Assuming he's out:
out: Morris. wallis. (Inj). Cordy (ineffective). Goodes (not involved enough, poor skills).
In: Bont. M Boyd. Redpath. Hamling.

Scraggers
19-04-2015, 05:12 PM

Guys, some reasons for the inclusions and omissions will help discussions.

Cordy won't chase, he can't read the play, he can't mark above his eyeline. I'm still of the belief that we did a Collingwood and Cloke family ... Draft them all to get to to the good one. Bring on Zaine

lemmon
19-04-2015, 05:13 PM
We kept their small forwards pretty quiet, so whether it was Breaust, or Puppolo, even Rioli only came good in the last quarter.

I think Picken did his job, even though disposal is not brilliant

If M Boyd is ready to go I don't have a spot for him. Honeychurch and Dahl are providing the forward pressure that Picken was earmarked for in the pre-season. Beveridge is obviously a no tagging man if he didn't send Picken to Lewis or Hodge today and if Boyd and Wood are ready to go along with Webb showing a lot today, Morris playing small and Darley/Biggs on the edges as better disposers of the footy I'm struggling to fit Picken in.

I would have liked him to get a run in the centre square considering how undermanned we were but Bevo obviously doesn't see him as a midfielder (negative or otherwise) anymore.

SonofScray
19-04-2015, 05:20 PM
I watched both games this weekend, so will try and balance things out between observations of who played well in the VFL against who was poor today.

The players I felt did not give us much today were: Cordy, Goodes, Stevens and Hrovat.
The players I was really pleased with in the VFL were Redpath, Hamling, Rourke Smith and Clay Smith. I thought Fletcher Roberts took some strong marks around the ground on an average day for him as well.

The Wallis injury really hurts as we were already covering the loss of Libba. Smith is the ideal replacement, but not quite fit enough yet. I think we just re-jig things with who was in today.

Hamling & Roberts IN Cordy, Morris OUT, Redpath stiff to miss out. Hopefully Boyd can return to the side and Stevens can go back to the VFL.

Rocco Jones
19-04-2015, 05:26 PM

Assuming he's out:
out: Morris. wallis. (Inj). Cordy (ineffective). Goodes (not involved enough, poor skills).

My changes too. Really like Hamling. Only issue is that he has come on mid way through the second quarter in his first two VFL games back.

F'scary
19-04-2015, 05:34 PM

It was worth it. Now we don't have to watch him in the firsts ever again.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-04-2015, 05:35 PM
Outs Morris, Wallis with injury
Cordy he will now have to work hard over a number of weeks with sustained form to earn another shot.
Stevens - did not do nearly enough to keep his spot.

Ins: if fit Bonts & Boyd are locks. Boyd will need to play more in the mid to cover Wallis being out. This means Webb, who showed a bit today, keeps his spot.
Hamling comes in for Moz.
Redpath should come in for Cordy, as I thought he was stiff to miss after the one poor game. He gives us some back up minutes in the ruck.
In. Presuming Bon

F'scary
19-04-2015, 05:43 PM
In: Bontempelli, Matt Boyd. Things are already looking a whole lot better. Then Redpath and Hamling. Bad decision to drop Redpath for Cordy after round 1 but at least it resolves an issue. Ayce Cordy to never ever ever get another game in the seniors.

Out: presumed Mitch Wallis (injured - and did we ever miss him). Ayce Cordy - that was the last chance. Useless.
Morris (injured); Goodes - good VFL player who should have been given his chance 5 years ago, let us leave it at that. There are others , I have to think about this...

Webby
19-04-2015, 06:00 PM
I'd almost be tempted to bring Clay Smith back in... If his knee's right, it's right.. It could go just as easily at VFL level as at AFL level. He's similar to Wallis, so would be handy. He's an AFL player based on what I saw yesterday.

That's it for Cordy. I've cut the cord, now. Hopefully he's an Alister Ford and Zaine is a Mickey Ford..

Boyd and Bont certainly in. The pair of them make us a four goal better side. T Boyd will get a lot out of today. I love his kicking for goal. He'll just get better and better. I'm comfortable that the club has invested wisely, there.

Lukas Webb is simply an AFL player. What a plus to land a 200+ player with pick 27 or so. Caleb Daniel was walking around the WO yesterday. He's still to come in. Hamling's was also good for Footscray yesterday. This could be his chance.

Today was a Murphy's Law scenario I was already resigned to defeat after Bont and Boyd were pulled out of the side. Then when Wallis and Morris went down, I was bracing for a flogging. Particularly with Mitchell (who makes Hawthorn 20% better and Gibson coming back in.

We've got plenty of upside. It'll be interesting to see how the club responds. Adelaide are still vulnerable, imo. I think Bont was 50/50 today, so should be cherry ripe for next week. Hopefully Boyd only has a tweak, because calfs can be a real ongoing issue for older blokes.

Eastdog
19-04-2015, 06:09 PM
How's Campbell going? I would really like for him to get a go at senior level. Clay Smith was very good in the VFL yesterday but just would give him a bit more time. Would any of you guys reckon J Grants position in the side might be in trouble for the next game.

GVGjr
19-04-2015, 06:16 PM
How's Campbell going? I would really like for him to get a go at senior level. Clay Smith was very good in the VFL yesterday but just would give him a bit more time. Would any of you guys reckon J Grants position in the side might be in trouble for the next game.

Big Tom isn't in great form but he would be competitive. I still struggle with our use of the 2nd ruckman.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Big Tom isn't in great form but he would be competitive. I still struggle with our use of the 2nd ruckman.

We will have no choice come years end if Cordy is cut. No young developing ruckman, no rookie ruckman, an ageing one trick ruckman and Campbell. Boyd should not be in these plans, Redpath can't ruck at AFL level and Roughy is still playing back. We need to trade for a ready made and two more potentially through other ways.

Webby
19-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Campbell was our second best ruckman yesterday. Darcy Fort upstaged him.

With Grant, he was pretty average today, but he was far from alone. Missing literally your two best players from the previous week has a knock-on effect on the rest of the team. That applies to any side... Then to lose Wallis (I'd say easily top 4 in our b&f going into today) and we were always going to be bossed against the best team in the comp.

We're a lot better than what we showed today, so I'm looking forward to seeing how we respond next week.

Remi Moses
19-04-2015, 06:27 PM
In Hamling ( for Dale) boyd( if fit) Wood ( if fit) Bont (if fit)
Out Cordy ( not up to it) Goodes ( VFL standard) Wallis Morris

Scorlibo
19-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Out: Goodes, Cordy, Morris, Wallis,
In: Boyd, Bontempelli, Redpath, Wood.

Let's see how Hrovat and Stevens go in the thick of the midfield for 3 rounds before pulling the trigger on Clay Smith.

Wouldn't it be great if Prudden returned the the VFL form he showed in his first year?

lemmon
19-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Prudden is one who very well may come in to play Wallis inside midfield role, Clay is obviously proven but I'd prefer it was safety first with him considering how much footy he's missed. Prudden's pre-season form was pretty ordinary but he was an emergency here, I think Beveridge is a fan.

boydogs
19-04-2015, 06:40 PM

Assuming he's out:

Morris hurt his shoulder and Wallis hurt his back, not sure if they are bad enough to miss next week though

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2015, 07:05 PM
Bevo said both will be out a while.

lemmon
19-04-2015, 07:07 PM

Odd considering both were apparently so close to playing this week...

azabob
19-04-2015, 07:14 PM

TBB is referring to the Wallis and Morris injury.

Greystache
19-04-2015, 07:20 PM

He said Boyd and Bonti should be back next week.

G-Mo77
19-04-2015, 07:24 PM

Huge blow. Morris the obvious one which will hurt but Wally has been great this year.

Outs: Morris, Wallis, Cordy

Ins: Hamling, Campbell/Redpath, Bonts

Boyd if healthy comes in for Goodes.

Like Hamling and think he'll be a good cover for Morris.

Campbell I'm leaning towards because I don't want Boyd rucking. Minson/Campbell hasn't worked well though so I could easily slot Redpath in there who was good yesterday.

Bonts is young. He'll be right to go.

Biggs a chance? Smith?

bornadog
19-04-2015, 07:32 PM
I would prefer a one legged Clay in for Goodes.

Ozza
19-04-2015, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple more that missed next week due to soreness/injury.
Our boys got bashed. Honeychurch, Dahlhaus and Dickson all got hammered around. Hopefully the recovery is ok.

lemmon
19-04-2015, 11:07 PM
TBB is referring to the Wallis and Morris injury.

Ah gotcha, cheers

Dry Rot
20-04-2015, 01:50 AM
Rest anyone who isn't quite right, take a Crowbot hammering and then set up well for smashing my local enemies the Swans at the SCG.

w3design
20-04-2015, 08:15 AM
I'd almost be tempted to bring Clay Smith back in... If his knee's right, it's right.. It could go just as easily at VFL level as at AFL level. He's similar to Wallis, so would be handy. He's an AFL player based on what I saw yesterday.

That's it for Cordy. I've cut the cord, now. Hopefully he's an Alister Ford and Zaine is a Mickey Ford..

Boyd and Bont certainly in. The pair of them make us a four goal better side. T Boyd will get a lot out of today. I love his kicking for goal. He'll just get better and better. I'm comfortable that the club has invested wisely, there.

Lukas Webb is simply an AFL player. What a plus to land a 200+ player with pick 27 or so. Caleb Daniel was walking around the WO yesterday. He's still to come in. Hamling's was also good for Footscray yesterday. This could be his chance.

Today was a Murphy's Law scenario I was already resigned to defeat after Bont and Boyd were pulled out of the side. Then when Wallis and Morris went down, I was bracing for a flogging. Particularly with Mitchell (who makes Hawthorn 20% better and Gibson coming back in.

We've got plenty of upside. It'll be interesting to see how the club responds. Adelaide are still vulnerable, imo. I think Bont was 50/50 today, so should be cherry ripe for next week. Hopefully Boyd only has a tweak, because calfs can be a real ongoing issue for older blokes.

Or Ayce is Nathan Ablett and Zaine is Gary.....

Mofra
20-04-2015, 10:44 AM
I would prefer a one legged Clay in for Goodes.
He is being managed (VFL TOG%) but gee it's tempting to put him in the forward pocket or make him the sub. Pure beast who both goes hard and runs hard (classic gut-runner).

bornadog
20-04-2015, 12:20 PM
He is being managed (VFL TOG%) but gee it's tempting to put him in the forward pocket or make him the sub. Pure beast who both goes hard and runs hard (classic gut-runner).

I guess I was just pushing my case for Goodes to be dropped. I would like to see Clay in but only if he is 100% ready for senior football.

SlimPickens
20-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Out: Morris, Wallis, Cordy and Goodes

In: Boyd, Bont, Redpath and Roberts

Boyd and Bont spending more time in the middle. If Wood is fit he plays, instead of Roberts.
I like what Redpath gives us structurally.

Ozza
20-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Out: Morris, Wallis, Cordy and Goodes

In: Boyd, Bont, Redpath and Roberts

Boyd and Bont spending more time in the middle. If Wood is fit he plays, instead of Roberts.
I like what Redpath gives us structurally.

Although it remains to be seen whether Redpath will make the grade, I tend to agree with you. I think he is better than what he showed round 1, particularly in the contest. Hopefully he can draw his player AWAY from Boyd - as we have tended to have players drawing their opponents TO Boyd and his man regularly so far.

Cyberdoggie
20-04-2015, 01:22 PM
I guess I was just pushing my case for Goodes to be dropped. I would like to see Clay in but only if he is 100% ready for senior football.

Would be great to have him this week as he is needed but it would be a little unfair on the guy. He needs to be managed slowly and have a chance to get match fit, you can do that in the VFL but not the AFL. What if the same thing happens next week and we have a few early injuries, all of a sudden we will be forced to ask Clay to step up due to rotations etc.
At least in the VFL if he has any issues mid-game he can comfortably say something isn't right and not play on so as to not let anyone done.
Very often when players come back from knee injuries you get other complications, hamstrings, quads, all need to adjust slowly to the demands required, he needs a few more weeks at least.

Losing Wallis is really going to hurt us on top of Libba. Hrovat and someone like Prudden need to try and fill that void perhaps and not sure they are up to it.

The Pie Man
20-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Would be surprised to not see Hamling debut this week

In: Hamling, Bont, Boyd, Redpath
Out: Morris, Wallis, Cordy, Goodes

Wouldn't be upset to see Clay Smith play, though not expecting they'll pull that trigger just yet

bornadog
20-04-2015, 03:07 PM
Does Hunter come into calculations, or do we have too many small guys?

LostDoggy
20-04-2015, 04:05 PM
I didn't think Campbell really put his hand up for a recall. Hunter got plenty of the ball and didn't really look ready to step up but I'm guessing he might get a chance anyhow. I'd also go with Hamling or Biggs (surprised at how fast Biggs can be) to come in, leave Clay for another week.

Hammer really impressed me. Kid can play, has massive guts.

Adelaide are on top and absolutely flying. This ain't the week to bring back half-done players.

Go_Dogs
20-04-2015, 06:58 PM
Based on expected availability, I'm going with.

Out:
Wallis, Morris, Cordy, Goodes

In:
Boyd, Bontempelli, Redpath, Hamling

Go_Dogs
20-04-2015, 06:59 PM

If Honeychurch is sore, then he comes in - otherwise I want to see him rip the door off the hinges.

Mofra
20-04-2015, 07:01 PM
I didn't think Campbell really put his hand up for a recall. Hunter got plenty of the ball and didn't really look ready to step up but I'm guessing he might get a chance anyhow. I'd also go with Hamling or Biggs (surprised at how fast Biggs can be) to come in, leave Clay for another week.
Based on what Swans supporters tell me, Biggs goes up a gear at a higher level. Their supporters really rate him. If he's not in this week he wouldn't be far away.

Go_Dogs
20-04-2015, 07:05 PM
Based on what Swans supporters tell me, Biggs goes up a gear at a higher level. Their supporters really rate him. If he's not in this week he wouldn't be far away.

Would you play him ahead of Hamling? Based on his speed perhaps he'd be a good option given the Crows have Betts and Cameron, notwithstanding a tall forward line with Walker, Jenkins and Lynch.

Perhaps if Boyd isn't right to slot back in Biggs gets his chance.

divvydan
20-04-2015, 08:33 PM
Just watched the injury update from Graham Lowe and he suggested that Wood could be available to play this week if he gets through training. Seemed it wasn't necessarily a hamstring strain but a tight hamstring instead. If he was available, it might be that we bring him as a direct replacement for Morris and keep Webb further up field.

The only problem with that is that Adelaide have Jenkins/Walker/Lynch who are all big forwards so we may need Hamling regardless this week.

Go_Dogs
20-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Just watched the injury update from Graham Lowe and he suggested that Wood could be available to play this week if he gets through training. Seemed it wasn't necessarily a hamstring strain but a tight hamstring instead. If he was available, it might be that we bring him as a direct replacement for Morris and keep Webb further up field.

The only problem with that is that Adelaide have Jenkins/Walker/Lynch who are all big forwards so we may need Hamling regardless this week.

Thanks, good news re Wood.

What are you thinking then, as far as match ups?

Talia -> Walker?
Roughead -> Jenkins?
Hamling -> Lynch?
Picken -> Betts?
JJ -> Cameron?
Boyd/Wood -> On whoever they play high? (Boyd perhaps spending more time in the middle)

divvydan
20-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Thanks, good news re Wood.

What are you thinking then, as far as match ups?

Talia -> Walker?
Roughead -> Jenkins?
Hamling -> Lynch?
Picken -> Betts?
JJ -> Cameron?
Boyd/Wood -> On whoever they play high? (Boyd perhaps spending more time in the middle)

Yeah, that's probably the right lineup, although Wood, if fit could go onto Betts if Picken goes back upfield. If Hamling isn't there, then we would probably need Murphy to play tall on Lynch. If Hamling does come in and play on Lynch, then that frees Murphy up to maybe start on Cameron and push upfield, It may well be that we end up choosing one of Hamling/Wood this week, depending if we want Murphy playing tall or small.

dukedog
20-04-2015, 10:23 PM
I would go with M.Boyd to replace Wallis on the ball.
Cordy has to give way to Redpath.
Hamling for Morris
Wood to come in if hes fit - replacing goodes (not so good last week)
Webby can keep his spot - earned it

Loved Clays interview, " Body has had 9 months rest and recovery it better be ready" ... The guy is a gun, Bring cement head in. You dont play in the VFL if your knee isnt right. Its fitness only. The kid has a heart of a lion. He would play out an afl game first game back if they needed him too.

King Clay, :p

LostDoggy
20-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Out: Wallis,Morris,Cordy,Goodes.

Ins: Boyd,Bonti,Redders,Wood

The Bulldogs Bite
21-04-2015, 12:18 AM
Loved Clays interview, " Body has had 9 months rest and recovery it better be ready"

I loved that bit too.

I'm as eager as anyone to see Clay back, but I think he needs 3 games in the VFL before promotion - it'd be a bit of a tall order to bring him in so soon and against opposition like Adelaide and Sydney.

The Underdog
21-04-2015, 09:17 AM
I loved that bit too.

I'm as eager as anyone to see Clay back, but I think he needs 3 games in the VFL before promotion - it'd be a bit of a tall order to bring him in so soon and against opposition like Adelaide and Sydney.

Agree, he faded in the VFL game after a blazing start. He needs to be match fit. The last thing we want is a fatigue injury setting him back.

SlimPickens
21-04-2015, 10:51 AM

Hunter needs to stop trying to play like a millionaire at VFL level before I would consider him for senior selection.

1eyedog
21-04-2015, 11:32 AM
INS

Hamling - exceptional preseason form and versatility sees him getting a spot in my book this week. We need cover for Moz now as well and his ability to play on 188-198 cm players has him ahead of Roberts. He's agile, good overhead and seems to read the play and dispose of the footy ok.

OUTS

Cordy - I'm not sure what the issue is but I am fast losing hope. Needs to once again go back to the VFL and have an extended run of form with a view to having one more look at him after the half way mark of the season.

I would drop Picken, Stevens and Goodes for Boyd, Bont and Wood.

Mantis
21-04-2015, 12:01 PM
INS

Hamling - exceptional preseason form and versatility sees him getting a spot in my book this week. We need cover for Moz now as well and his ability to play on 188-198 cm players has him ahead of Roberts. He's agile, good overhead and seems to read the play and dispose of the footy ok.

OUTS

Cordy - I'm not sure what the issue is but I am fast losing hope. Needs to once again go back to the VFL and have an extended run of form with a view to having one more look at him after the half way mark of the season.

I would drop Picken, Stevens and Goodes for Boyd, Bont and Wood.

We will also have Wallis & Morris missing due to injury.

1eyedog
21-04-2015, 12:54 PM
We will also have Wallis & Morris missing due to injury.

Of course straight through to the keeper that one - thanks.
Out of that my preference would simply be for Boyd and Wood to come in for Wallis and Morris and Bont to swap with Goodes with Hamling replacing Cordy. Also I can't think who is going to play on Betts now, Picken?

LostDoggy
21-04-2015, 05:33 PM
Will Beveridge want to make too many changes coming off the back of a bad loss to the reigning premier and smack bang into the Crows? We might simply see Wally and Morris replaced and that's all.

Greystache
21-04-2015, 05:36 PM
Will Beveridge want to make too many changes coming off the back of a bad loss to the reigning premier and smack bang into the Crows? We might simply see Wally and Morris replaced and that's all.

It'd be hard to justify keeping Cordy for another game after 4 disposals in total after 2 games. Particularly when Redpath was the better performed of the two during preseason. There's a few other probably in the firing but like you said Beveridge might want to give them another game to save or hang themselves.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-04-2015, 06:12 PM
I can't see how Cordy or Goodes can keep their spots - they've been extremely poor in rounds 2 & 3. I know we have injuries, but these two have given us zero.

Happy Days
21-04-2015, 06:16 PM
In: Bont, Diet Boyd, Wood, Hamling

Out: Morris, Wallis, Goodes, Cordy

Adelaide's forward line is good (Walker is kicking the goals and Betts is super dangerous, but Jenkins is the one who wrecked us last time), so Hamling has to play, doubly so with Morris out. There's really no alternative. We have to guard space and not let the ball hit the deck, so a third up jumper is going to be crucial. I've been really impressed with his range and athleticism and see no reason he can't do this. Boyd and Wood have been exceptional in this area too - if we're going to win then these three need to play.

I actually went to the Adelaide game this week and they are super duper dangerous in each arc. Smith is the one getting the publicity, but they're also getting the ball to Henderson in paddocks of space, and he will kick it 50m to someone else in the same jumper every time. We're also going to have to be really measured going into attack as a result.

Wallis is a massive out - Sloane is just a behemoth in the middle. Do we task Jong to stop him? I remember how poorly he performed trying to stop Dangerfield last year, but he has improved a lot (maybe too much to be confined to tagging).

I think we're in trouble.

Bulldog4life
21-04-2015, 06:27 PM
I would go with M.Boyd to replace Wallis on the ball.
Cordy has to give way to Redpath.
Hamling for Morris
Wood to come in if hes fit - replacing goodes (not so good last week)
Webby can keep his spot - earned it

Loved Clays interview, " Body has had 9 months rest and recovery it better be ready" ... The guy is a gun, Bring cement head in. You dont play in the VFL if your knee isnt right. Its fitness only. The kid has a heart of a lion. He would play out an afl game first game back if they needed him too.

King Clay, :p

Love Clay. I remember his first game when he ran his guts out had kicked 4 goals then had a full body cramp towards the end of the game. That would be pain. He just goes full bore

G-Mo77
21-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Love Clay. I remember his first game when he ran his guts out had kicked 4 goals then had a full body cramp towards the end of the game. That would be pain. He just goes full bore

And the crowd booing when he was subbed out. Felt sorry for the guy coming on. ☺

Cyberdoggie
21-04-2015, 06:35 PM
out: Morris, Wallis, Cordy, Goodes

In: Bont, Boyd, Hamling, Redpath, If Wood is fit then I'd have to think about it again.

Cordy just simply not good enough, Redpath has to come in and provide a target, throw his weight around.
Replacing Wallis is the issue, Clay would be good but he needs more time, other than that there is really only Prudden
who isn't ready yet. M Boyd may have to play more in the middle if we stay with Webb and especially if Wood is fit,
How would we play all of Wood, Webb, Murph, JJ, Boyd in defensive roles?

The Hammer should come in for Morris, he's the only one agile and tall enough to take that role depending on the Adelaide match ups.

Rocco Jones
21-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Wood isn't even named on our injury list. He looks likely to play. My adjust ins and outs:

In- Bonts, M.Boyd, Hamling, Wood, Redpath
Out- Goodes, Wallis, Morris, Stevens, Cordy

If any of the returning injured trio are out, I would keep Stevens in.

GVGjr
21-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Hunter needs to stop trying to play like a millionaire at VFL level before I would consider him for senior selection.

He did so many things wrong in that game including competing with our key forwards for pack marks.
I agree he needs to get it right at Footscray before getting a promotion.

bornadog
21-04-2015, 07:32 PM
Wood isn't even named on our injury list. He looks likely to play. My adjust ins and outs:

Have you checked the injury thread?

Player
Injury
Duration

Matthew Boyd (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/matthew-boyd)
calf
test

Marcus Bontempelli (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/marcus-bontempelli)
calf
test

Easton Wood (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/easton-wood)
hamstring
test

Mitch Wallis (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/mitch-wallis)
back
2 weeks

Caleb Daniel (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/caleb-daniel)
knee
2 - 3 weeks

Zaine Cordy (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/zaine-cordy)
shoulder
5 weeks

Matt Fuller (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/matt-fuller)
quad
7 weeks

Dale Morris (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/dale-morris)
pectoral muscle
6-8 weeks

Tom Liberatore (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/tom-liberatore)
knee
season

Rocco Jones
21-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Thanks BAD.

stefoid
21-04-2015, 08:05 PM
I dont think we can afford to bring in anyone who isnt match fit. Bev was talking about not tagging Hodge and Lewis because he 'wanted to keep up the energy around the contest'.

So if Wood, Boyd and Bont all come up, then that takes care of Morris and Wally, with one mid-sized player to come out. Id say Goodes.

Ill have to watch the game to make a judgement on Cordy, since I suspected before the match his main role would be to keep a tall defender away from Boyd.

stefoid
21-04-2015, 09:23 PM
I just watched the first quarter. The ball was up the hawks end 2/3rds of the time - Think we had 4 or 5 F50 entries. Didnt see Cordy in shot until halfway through the quarter where he was involved in a couple of boundary throw-ins.

He wasnt anywhere in shot when boyd was contesting the long ball three times deep in the forward line. Id guess this is by plan? We got our goals form Boyd marking or contesting those long balls.

Ayce "contested" one kick down the line against Lake, but he was unfairly taken out of the contest before the ball arrived by Bruest - no free kick and an easy mark to Lake.

Latter in the quarter he contested a couple of centre ball-ups and fumble-shovelled a loose ball successfully to a teammate on the wing. Cant say he got anything that counted as a clean possession.

Difficult to say if he had a good/bad/indifferent quarter since he had so little opportunity to contest the ball, and in fact may have been assigned a decoy role out wide in any case.

dukedog
21-04-2015, 09:46 PM
In all fairness. At AFL level. You cant just make the team to take a defender away from "BOYD". 2 Games 4 Possessions. At least redpath will throw his weight around and maybe 'Unintentionally' hurt an opposition player or rather make them think twice about dropping in the hole. Just like Perceived pressure, its as good as having the pressure there at the particular moment in time, the opposition actually thinks they are gonna get caught with the ball so they dispose of it prematurely, possibly creating an error.

Rocco Jones
21-04-2015, 10:10 PM
In all fairness. At AFL level. You cant just make the team to take a defender away from "BOYD". 2 Games 4 Possessions. At least redpath will throw his weight around and maybe 'Unintentionally' hurt an opposition player or rather make them think twice about dropping in the hole. Just like Perceived pressure, its as good as having the pressure there at the particular moment in time, the opposition actually thinks they are gonna get caught with the ball so they dispose of it prematurely, possibly creating an error.

Yep, the take away a defender is an arcaic notion. I think that if a key forward cannot at least provide a contest, you need to go smaller and at least do something when the ball hits the ground. I think Redpath can potentially be a player who at least provides a contest.

bornadog
23-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Great to see Dale Picked, but will he line up?

LostDoggy
23-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Ins: Bontempelli, Boyd, Wood, Clay Smith & Bailey Dale

Outs: Wallis, Morris

Ayce Cordy named on the field as the starting ruckmen.

I just don't get it. Great to see Dale's form rewarded though. Some nice ins.

bornadog
23-04-2015, 07:29 PM
Ins: Bontempelli, Boyd, Wood, Clay Smith & Bailey Dale

Outs: Wallis, Morris

Ayce Cordy named on the field as the starting ruckmen.

I just don't get it. Great to see Dale's form rewarded though. Some nice ins.

How can Minson be named on the interchange?

LostDoggy
23-04-2015, 07:30 PM
Grant, Smith, Honeychurch, Webb, Minson, Dale, Goodes - 3 to be omitted from the extended bench.

LostDoggy
23-04-2015, 07:33 PM
How can Minson be named on the interchange?

I'm not sure... I just can't work out how Cordy gets another game. I know Redpath and Campbell are hardly banging the door down.. But come on! 4 handballs in 2 weeks of footy.

Was also hoping for Hamling. He deserves a promotion.

Webby
23-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Interesting re Ayce in ruck. Don't mind the boldness of backing him and letting him have a proper crack in the ruck prior to dropping. Although I'm far from confident he can make a success of it, I think it's the fairest approach.

I'm rapt about Smith and Dale! I really, really like Beveridge's backing of kids.

On Will, he's copping a lot of miles on the clock, so it might be in the best long term interest of Will's and the club for him to get some reduced minutes perhaps once a month. It'll help prolong his career and help to fast track the development of his ruck partner(s).

Fair chance either or both of Smith and Dale will play. Can't see Goodes holding his spot. My interest is really pricked for Sunday!

Remi Moses
23-04-2015, 07:39 PM
Bit shocked Hamling's not picked, and equally shocked by Cordy remaining in the side.
Some handy inclusions, and maybe a prod for Will by naming him on the bench

jeemak
23-04-2015, 07:41 PM
At least everyone gets to see Ayce play in his true position, which I'm sure the vast majority of Woofers are thrilled about.

You'd think that Boyd will come in for Goodes, Wood will come in for Morris, and Bontempelli will come in for Wallis. Unless Minson has a niggle I think that will be it for changes.

LostDoggy
23-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Stevens is very lucky for mine. Maybe set for a job on Sloane?

I hope Clay isn't put as the sub.. That would just be silly.

Webby
23-04-2015, 07:45 PM
Great to see Dale Picked, but will he line up?

He's a 50/50. He's very raw and very light. But then again, so were Luke Darcy, Nathan Brown, Brad Johnson and Bob Murphy when they were first played.

Dale's really grown on me over the past month. He worried me most out of all our draftees, but he's demonstrated he can play. He's very neat by hand and foot and can read the play. He's also got time and balance.

So that's Webb and Dale right amongst it, whilst Daniel can certainly play. Then we've got our top pick, Toby McLean waiting in the wings.. Exciting times!

bulldogsfight
23-04-2015, 07:48 PM
acyes farewell game:cool:

jeemak
23-04-2015, 07:49 PM
At least everyone gets to see Ayce play in his true position, which I'm sure the vast majority of Woofers are thrilled about.

You'd think that Boyd will come in for Goodes, Wood will come in for Morris, and Bontempelli will come in for Wallis. Unless Minson has a niggle I think that will be it for changes.

Just realised Clay is named on the ground. I'd play Clay as the sub personally, I don't think he'd be fit enough to run out a full game if the sub needed to be used on someone else who was injured, whilst he started. Coming on when the heat is out of the game also has its benefits. I'm really happy for him.

I think Stevens or Picken could be in a bit of trouble this week.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2015, 07:49 PM
I'm thoroughly confused. Ayce with two handballs starts, Minson on bench, Stevens at CHF.

If you'd said Ayce would have 4 touches for the season and be starting ruckman and Stevens was CHF by round 4 I would've said you're crazy...

Remi Moses
23-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Where's Lachy Hunter at?

Mantis
23-04-2015, 07:52 PM
Very surprised that we haven't selected another 'tallish' defender to the mix to play on Lynch (assuming he is playing)... Not real keen on Wood or others playing tall.

Some very lucky men in the team.. Happy enough for the new coaching team to give them every chance, but it can't be to the detriment of the teams performance, as per last Sunday.

Greystache
23-04-2015, 08:04 PM
Just realised Clay is named on the ground. I'd play Clay as the sub personally, I don't think he'd be fit enough to run out a full game if the sub needed to be used on someone else who was injured, whilst he started. Coming on when the heat is out of the game also has its benefits. I'm really happy for him.

I think Stevens or Picken could be in a bit of trouble this week.

On the club website he's named on the bench.

Really difficult to understand the team this week. Good to see Dale named for his good form but you'd think he'll miss. Assuming Smith plays (which is 50-50 for me) you'd think the bench would be Smith, Minson, Webb, Honeychurch. Leaves us stronger in the midfield this week but think we'll be weaker forward given we'll probably have to sub Cordy and make Boyd play in the ruck at least at some point and we don't have another tall forward.

Go_Dogs
23-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Would be a huge outcome for Dale to play this week, given his frame, but I've been big on him since his TAC Cup performances last year and think he's going to develop into a beauty for us.

Will watch with interest to see the final 22.

F'scary
23-04-2015, 08:08 PM
Yeah, this is not funny, it has to be mind games. You spinnin' us out, Bevoman. Can't believe Koby Stevens will line up at CHF. Can't believe Ayce Cordy is first ruck, let alone in the extended line-up. Same with Goodes, he had a shocker last round.

Can't wait till 22 is finalised - when is that?

always right
23-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Like the placement of Cordy in the ruck. Reckon Beveridge is telling him "you've been given an opportunity playing as a forward and as backup to Will.....and showed us very little. Now I'm going to give you another (final?) opportunity to play in your best position. Over to you."

More surprised that Hamling didn't come in for Morris. Reckon we are a tall defender short....if you know what I mean.

Rocco Jones
23-04-2015, 08:26 PM
Posted this in Ayce thread, equally relevant here...
Looking at the sides, I think Ayce will play a Jackson Trengove 2nd ruck/defender role (I mean the same role, not quality). They have Walker, Lynch and Jenkins and we only have Roughead and Talia as key defender options. I think he will follow Jenkins all day. Play down back on him and go into the ruck against him when they are relieving their respective second rucks.

LostDoggy
23-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Yeah, this is not funny, it has to be mind games. You spinnin' us out, Bevoman. Can't believe Koby Stevens will line up at CHF. Can't believe Ayce Cordy is first ruck, let alone in the extended line-up. Same with Goodes, he had a shocker last round.

Can't wait till 22 is finalised - when is that?

I think teams have to be finalised Friday night 'scray.

F'scary
23-04-2015, 08:51 PM
I think teams have to be finalised Friday night 'scray.

Phew! only 24 hours of going mad over these selections.

jeemak
23-04-2015, 09:03 PM
Phew! only 24 hours of going mad over these selections.

Calmly not understanding is also an option.

Relax Robotman, It's a long season and the new coach needs to sort out what he has to work with.

F'scary
23-04-2015, 09:14 PM
Calmly not understanding is also an option.

Relax Robotman, It's a long season and the new coach needs to sort out what he has to work with.

True. It is interesting looking over Adelaide's side. They are top of the ladder but their defence is pretty inexperienced and may not match up well on Crameri and Stringer from a height and weight perspective.

Go_Dogs
23-04-2015, 09:21 PM
True. It is interesting looking over Adelaide's side. They are top of the ladder but their defence is pretty inexperienced and may not match up well on Crameri and Stringer from a height and weight perspective.

I've watched all of their games this year, and besides Talia (good defender, not strong offensively) and Smith they are very inexperienced and able to be exposed down back.

If we move the ball smartly, we should be able to expose them, although they are doing very well shutting down space with team defence.

Stopping their ability to link up through the middle will be tough, particularly without our prime inside movers. We all know about Dangerfield and Sloane, but Ellis Yolman is becoming a very handy player with good hands inside the clearance, whilst Douglas, Betts and Mackay all offer a point of difference sitting one link in the chain back when it spills out.

Smads57
23-04-2015, 09:53 PM
There's a number of posts above making reference to the surprising team line-up this week.

I would be equally bemused if I hadn't attended the function at the Kennel on Tuesday night where Monty was a guest speaker.

He said a number of things that resonated for me around the very different opinion the coaching staff have about players and what we as spectators see/conclude each week.

Simple evidence of this was his comment that Woods replacement for the half back role was a very close call between Lukas Webb and Josh Prudden.

I wouldn't have thought Prudden was in the mix for any position given his pre-season form to date. Monty mentioned Prudden is being being groomed to play off the half back flank (dual position). Again something I hadn't picked up watching pre-season matches.

In summary, the coaching staff (and maybe the club in general), are working towards a bigger picture scenario in terms of who plays and who doesn't hence this week's interesting selection decisions.

Other things Monty made reference to:
Redpath is his own biggest critic and really gets down on himself
He expected Boyd, Bonti and Woods to all play (subject to standard fitness testing)
He thought Honeychurch might be 50/50 (result of Hodge collision)
He agreed that we were guilty of bombing the ball to TBoyd last week-end versus bringing the ball in short
He said we wanted to play our own game style and continue to develop it and not be dictated by the performances of individual Hawthorn players i.e. Hodge, Lewis, Isaac Smith (hence their big numbers)

Speaking of Isaac Smith, does Bailey Dale remind you of a right footed version in this video...

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-01-16/focus-bailey-dale

ReLoad
23-04-2015, 10:28 PM
I reckon Hamling is super unlucky, his form and commitment have been great.

dukedog
23-04-2015, 10:35 PM
You know what. I like it. I would have swung the axe on Cordy. But give him a week in the ruck. How he is named. I bet he doesnt play there tho. Minson will play ruck, cordy CHF. Lynch on wood will be fine. Lynch is a HACK.

CARN THE BONT!

Throughandthrough
23-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Curtis Deboy (a young South Australian) is making his AFL Field Umpiring debut in this match. He's easy to spot, he looks about 15. Be nice, he's a mate of mine and a great guy.

G-Mo77
23-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Like the placement of Cordy in the ruck. Reckon Beveridge is telling him "you've been given an opportunity playing as a forward and as backup to Will.....and showed us very little. Now I'm going to give you another (final?) opportunity to play in your best position. Over to you."

More surprised that Hamling didn't come in for Morris. Reckon we are a tall defender short....if you know what I mean.

I'd be happy to see Cordy 1st ruck but I think he'll be that 2nd tall defender short you mentioned and Minson to ruck.

boydogs
23-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Curtis Deboy (a young South Australian) is making his AFL Field Umpiring debut in this match. He's easy to spot, he looks about 15. Be nice, he's a mate of mine and a great guy.

Tell him as long as he pays Lin Jong's marks he'll be fine :)

dukedog
23-04-2015, 10:51 PM
Tell him as long as he pays Lin Jong's marks he'll be fine :)
That ball up call was borderline criminal. I dont think any of the footy shows mentioned it. If the game was closer i guess they may have.

The Underdog
23-04-2015, 10:54 PM

Not a Crows fan is he?

lemmon
23-04-2015, 11:21 PM
]Speaking of Isaac Smith, does Bailey Dale remind you of a right footed version in this video...

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-01-16/focus-bailey-dale
Nice post mate and it's not a bad comparison. I see him more of a Dale Thomas type, from the little I've seen he doesn't have Smith's pace but can do the mercurial, is pretty good overhead and hits the scoreboard like Daisy

lemmon
23-04-2015, 11:23 PM
I wonder if Minson is copping some heat from Bevo hence naming him on the bench? He's been okay so far but I wonder whether Bevo wants more.

LostDoggy
23-04-2015, 11:49 PM
Flabbergasted is the best word that comes to mind. Cordy makes us a player short, simple. Does not deserve a place in the side and didn't last week.

I love Clay but he needs more time in the VFL to get match fitness. As much as I can't wait to see him back.

Why is Koby named at CHF?

This stuff does my head in.

Eastdog
23-04-2015, 11:55 PM
Quite like some of the inclusions this week. Bonts and Smith come to mind but yes I have to agree with the other posters on Cordy - he hasn't been great thus far and it is crazy his number ruck this weekend.

Do you reckon we need to look for a new ruckman?

Our defence will be tested again. Morris being out hurts us for experience down there. I hope Roughy goes well down there.

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 12:02 AM
FB: M.Boyd........Roughhead.........Honeychurch
HB: Murphy...........Talia...................Wood.......
C: Dickson.........Picken.................Macrae....
HF: Stringer.......Dahlhaus..............Crameri....
FF: Hrovat...........T.Boyd............. Johannisen
Foll: Minson...........Jong...............Bontempelli
Bench: Stevens...Goodes...Webb
Sub: Smith
Looking forward to the midfield battle , really need to close down any half chances for them to switch play and run and carry on the openside . I think we can drop some height and let Cordy have a rest , just rely on repeat pressure and run and spread through the corridor at every opportunity. Going in with one less tall player and focussing on mobility would mean that the kicking accuracy has to stay high , can't afford to get stuck potting a static contest and hoping to pounce on the crumbs . I would have felt more comfortable with Redpath and Hamling in the side , the Red Unit deserves another chance and Hamling is pushing hard for his first game as a Dog .

Eastdog
24-04-2015, 12:09 AM
Good to see you again West-Dog :)

Happy Days
24-04-2015, 12:32 AM
I've watched all of their games this year, and besides Talia (good defender, not strong offensively) and Smith they are very inexperienced and able to be exposed down back.

Disagree with this; they're conceding the least points a game and Walsh has turned them into a stout unit down back, getting the most out of HACK players like Hartigan and Brown and finding a very good small defender out of thin air in Rory Laird. These guys simply need to break even and distribute the ball outward to the 3 guys in the backline who can actually kick, and the ball movement takes care of itself.

Speaking of Talia, how many touches do we see Boyd getting this week? I'm going with 3.

jeemak
24-04-2015, 12:39 AM
Flabbergasted is the best word that comes to mind. Cordy makes us a player short, simple. Does not deserve a place in the side and didn't last week.

I love Clay but he needs more time in the VFL to get match fitness. As much as I can't wait to see him back.

Why is Koby named at CHF?

This stuff does my head in.

Relax. We have a new coach that probably knows better than you and I do that we got away with a win against a very ordinary side at home, and followed it up with a gritty win against a side that was under performing. He also probably knows we followed it up with a likely performance against the top side all things considered, and now he's just testing out the water and getting his red pen ready for list crossing duties.

It's early days as far as our season and new frontier is concerned.

The Underdog
24-04-2015, 07:12 AM
We all know that how the team is named on paper isn't how they line up right?
Pretty sure this team was picked in concert with GVG to help drive traffic on the forum...

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 07:21 AM
I wonder if Minson will be dropped altogether to give Cordy a go in the ruck, as Minson is named for Footscray.

GVGjr
24-04-2015, 07:23 AM
Pretty sure this team was picked in concert with GVG to help drive traffic on the forum...

Don't wreck the story just yet.

Go_Dogs
24-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Disagree with this; they're conceding the least points a game and Walsh has turned them into a stout unit down back, getting the most out of HACK players like Hartigan and Brown and finding a very good small defender out of thin air in Rory Laird. These guys simply need to break even and distribute the ball outward to the 3 guys in the backline who can actually kick, and the ball movement takes care of itself.

Speaking of Talia, how many touches do we see Boyd getting this week? I'm going with 3.

I did go on to mention their team defence...

I just think they will struggle if we can expose one on one match ups - which I'm not saying will be easy. If Hartigan finds himself on Stringer, Jake will kick a small bag, maybe more. That then means someone lacking the size and motor is on Crameri, who should be able to exploit that match up.

Twodogs
24-04-2015, 08:57 AM

Shhh. Keep it down.

1eyedog
24-04-2015, 10:16 AM

I just think they will struggle if we can expose one on one match ups - which I'm not saying will be easy. If Hartigan finds himself on Stringer, Jake will kick a small bag, maybe more. That then means someone lacking the size and motor is on Crameri, who should be able to exploit that match up.

Yes obviously the reverse is true as well and aside from the midfield battle it shapes as a decider of who's forward line can get on top. Betts, Walker and Jenkins will be just as much if not more of a handful (especially one defender down) as Crameri, Boyd and Stringer.

Mofra
24-04-2015, 10:44 AM
I wonder if Minson will be dropped altogether to give Cordy a go in the ruck, as Minson is named for Footscray.
I thought everyone on the extended bench had to be named in the VFL.

I don't like the move - Minson surely has to play so the Crows are only guessing three bench positions.

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 10:49 AM
I don't understand playing Cordy, it couldn't do his confidence any good. Redpath,Campbell and Roberts must all be shaken there heads at this, all have shown more then Cordy has, I can see them jumping ship at the end of the year.

bornadog
24-04-2015, 10:54 AM
I thought everyone on the extended bench had to be named in the VFL.

I don't like the move - Minson surely has to play so the Crows are only guessing three bench positions.

PG just said on 774 to look out for Dale making his debut.

bornadog
24-04-2015, 10:54 AM
I don't understand playing Cordy, it couldn't do his confidence any good. Redpath,Campbell and Roberts must all be shaken there heads at this, all have shown more then Cordy has, I can see them jumping ship at the end of the year.

I don't understand playing Goodes who only had 5 disposals in almost a full game.

1eyedog
24-04-2015, 11:06 AM

Let's see what he can do in the ruck this week. This is surely his last chance.

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Relax. We have a new coach that probably knows better than you and I do that we got away with a win against a very ordinary side at home, and followed it up with a gritty win against a side that was under performing. He also probably knows we followed it up with a likely performance against the top side all things considered, and now he's just testing out the water and getting his red pen ready for list crossing duties.

It's early days as far as our season and new frontier is concerned.

I understand all that, I love our start to the year and last week was unavoidable given the talent of the opposition and the loss of too many of our few top end players. I really saw this as an unlikely winnable game, the losses of Morris and Wallis admittedly makes it less likely, however, carrying Ayce is a burden we don't need. I hope I'm wrong and he has a good game, I really do but he is a proven liability.

Also concerned for Clay's welfare, one game in the VFL is not safe enough for my liking.

1eyedog
24-04-2015, 11:45 AM
I understand all that, I love our start to the year and last week was unavoidable given the talent of the opposition and the loss of too many of our few top end players. I really saw this as an unlikely winnable game, the losses of Morris and Wallis admittedly makes it less likely, however, carrying Ayce is a burden we don't need. I hope I'm wrong and he has a good game, I really do but he is a proven liability.

Also concerned for Clay's welfare, one game in the VFL is not safe enough for my liking.

The way Clay plays he is equally likely to do an injury in the VFL this week.

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 11:48 AM
The way Clay plays he is equally likely to do an injury in the VFL this week.

Yeah and that's why we love him :) but at least his game time can be managed without AFL pressure.

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Would Clay be named/playing if Wally was fit?

Happy Days
24-04-2015, 12:05 PM

You did to! Sorry man.

Do you think we have it in us to exploit one on one match ups like this? Our far and away best score source is kicking goals from stoppages inside 50, which means making stoppages inside 50. That doesn't exactly lend itself to hard leading and daisy cutters.

craigsahibee
24-04-2015, 12:17 PM
In : Bontempelli

That is all folks

Bulldog4life
24-04-2015, 12:36 PM

Exactly. Surprised how many Woofers thought otherwise.

Cyberdoggie
24-04-2015, 01:12 PM
Would Clay be named/playing if Wally was fit?

I don't think so. Without Libba and Wally we lack a contested ball animal.
I'm a bit worried about this and fear we may get smashed out of the middle.

Axe Man
24-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Big Footy awash with rumours that Minson wont play - say it aint so! :( Hopefully just people reading too much into him being named on the bench.

Also Dickson in some doubt with a calf - 50/50 chance to play.

bornadog
24-04-2015, 01:56 PM
Big Footy awash with rumours that Minson wont play - say it aint so! :( Hopefully just people reading too much into him being named on the bench.

Also Dickson in some doubt with a calf - 50/50 chance to play.

Does Campbell come in now, if that is so.

Axe Man
24-04-2015, 02:08 PM
Does Campbell come in now, if that is so.

A couple of posters are suggesting Minson will be dropped and Ayce will ruck solo. I can't believe this can be true. I probably should never read big footy!

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 02:18 PM

If Optimus Prime is under an injury cloud then that would explain a lot.

whythelongface
24-04-2015, 02:44 PM
Will be very interesting to see how Cordy goes as the starting ruckmen. A bold move (not one I agree with) by the coaching team but as other's have alluded to it is a sink or swim moment for Cordy. I hope it is the latter but,based on his two recent performances really can't see anything else but pulling up short and being found wanting at this level.

With potentially Honeychurch and Dickson being rested we may well see Dale getting a crack.

stefoid
24-04-2015, 02:57 PM
A couple of posters are suggesting Minson will be dropped and Ayce will ruck solo. I can't believe this can be true. I probably should never read big footy!

If we were playing funny injury buggers, we would name him in the side, not on the bench?

Cyberdoggie
24-04-2015, 04:18 PM
If we were playing funny injury buggers, we would name him in the side, not on the bench?

You would think so, doesn't make any sense to select him unless it was purely because Ayce is going to ruck and Minson is just on the extended bench as an emergency

FrediKanoute
24-04-2015, 04:59 PM
The way I see it with Ayce is that its make or break time. He has to show something this season that gives the club and us supporters some hope/belief that he can cut it. Minno took at least until he was 25/26 before he really cemented his role as the club's No.1 ruckman.

This is not a selection based on form so it has to be a longer term play.....

bornadog
24-04-2015, 06:02 PM
Final Team

In: Matthew Boyd, Easton Wood, Marcus Bontempelli, Clay Smith

OUT: Dale Morris (Pectoral), Mitch Wallis (Back), Brett Goodes (Omitted), Will Minson (Omitted)

bornadog
24-04-2015, 06:03 PM
Full back
M Boyd
J Roughead
E Wood

Half back
R Murphy
M Talia
J Johannisen

Centreline
T Dickson
L Picken
J Macrae

Half forward
L Dahlhaus
K Stevens
N Hrovat

Full forward
J Stringer
T Boyd
S Crameri

Followers
A Cordy
L Jong
M Bontempelli

Interchange
J Grant
C Smith
L Webb

M Honeychurch

Emergencies
B Dale
W Minson
B Goodes

bornadog
24-04-2015, 06:03 PM
Final Team

In: Matthew Boyd, Easton Wood, Marcus Bontempelli, Clay Smith

OUT: Dale Morris (Pectoral), Mitch Wallis (Back), Brett Goodes (Omitted), Will Minson (Omitted)

Minson has done something wrong to be behind Cordy

Remi Moses
24-04-2015, 06:06 PM

Not sure .
I think they're throwing out the challenge to Cordy to be the main banana .
Like it personally

bornadog
24-04-2015, 06:08 PM
Dale may still play if Dickson doesn't come up.

lemmon
24-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Yep I'm okay with it. It's a new coach shuffling his deck and figuring out what cards he has for the future. We know what Minson is- wins hitouts, scrambles at the stoppage but is a liability around the ground and can't play anywhere else. If Ayce plays out of his skin with the extra responsibility than we've found a player, if not than his future is stamped and we've solidified what we have. Minno has been okay this year but in the Bevo era if you can only play one spot you'll be found out

Prince Imperial
24-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Minson was today in a club video congratulating the selling of 30k memberships; it seems implausible that he would be if he was being omitted on a disciplinary or attitude matters. This is just bewildering.

I enjoyed seeing Smith in the VFL last week but he has been brought back to soon.

Axe Man
24-04-2015, 06:12 PM

The rumours were true, I'm confused!

Here's your chance Ayce against one of the best ruckmen in the league in Sauce Jacobs.

The forward line is going to be very short when one of Ayce or Tom Boyd is on the bench whilst the other rucks.

Bulldog Joe
24-04-2015, 06:16 PM
The omission of Minson is surprising, but his job is to make sure we do well in clearances, including winning a few himself.

He clearly did not manage that last week, when we really needed him.

On that form Jacobs would have his measure and perhaps Ayce has been selected to curb Jacobs.

Time will tell, but I would expect Will to acquit himself well at VFL level as he has always done.

Jeanette54
24-04-2015, 06:18 PM
I guess the reality is that we don't know what role Will was expected to play against Hawthorn. From a supporters point of view I would think he has played well this year, but maybe he was asked to address something specific and didn't carry it out to Bevo's satisfaction. Should be an added attraction to watch his performance in the VFL, but then just possibly he might not play, which will possibly tell us a bit more about his omission.

Meantime here's wishing Clay lots of luck for his return to the senior side.

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 06:19 PM
I don't like it. Actually I hate it.

We are 2-1 and a win here could really set up our season.

Now's not the time to be giving Cordy a 'go' if it costs us 4 points then I'll be quite upset.

Cordy has had 4 handballs in 2 games. Minson hasn't been great but he is far from our worst!

ledge
24-04-2015, 06:21 PM
I'm surprised honey church is playing , he was in a lot of pain and really showed it, I wouldn't be surprised if Dale comes in for him.

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 06:29 PM
I am concerned with this team selection for reasons stated before and now with no Will.

always right
24-04-2015, 06:54 PM
I'm looking forward to this. Low risk....high reward.

Happy Days
24-04-2015, 07:02 PM

Yep - played 2 horrible games of footy.

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 07:12 PM
I love it, this is a year of development.

Bev says to Minson, Im resting you for the week. I need to look at Ayce as our number 1 ruckman, you willing to cop the public perception of being omitted. Minson cops it on the chin, understands the motive, happily agrees.

We have put a lot of faith in inexperienced midfielders in the first 3 rounds, lets put faith in Cordy to see how he plays as the #1 ruck. He didnt play that bad a game late last year when Campbell went down eary and he was forced to carry the load.

Scorlibo
24-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Can't wait to hear from F'scary! He's been trumpeting all week how we will never have to see Ayce play again.

In this instance I don't agree with the move, but I like that Beveridge is willing to look past raw output and give players a chance. If a player becomes disenchanted with football or sees no future in the senior team, that reduces the quality of the senior team even without them playing. You need pressure coming from the VFL, and the only way you create that is if players like Ayce realise that they're not just there to make up the numbers.

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Yep I'm okay with it. It's a new coach shuffling his deck and figuring out what cards he has for the future. We know what Minson is- wins hitouts, scrambles at the stoppage but is a liability around the ground and can't play anywhere else. If Ayce plays out of his skin with the extra responsibility than we've found a player, if not than his future is stamped and we've solidified what we have. Minno has been okay this year but in the Bevo era if you can only play one spot you'll be found out

Nailed for me lemmon:D

bornadog
24-04-2015, 07:25 PM
Minson was today in a club video congratulating the selling of 30k memberships; it seems implausible that he would be if he was being omitted on a disciplinary or attitude matters. This is just bewildering.

I enjoyed seeing Smith in the VFL last week but he has been brought back to soon.

Smith Sub?

lemmon
24-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Smith Sub?

Is it more risky starting him as sub or planning to sub him off? An injury either way could stuff things

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Are we still in nab cup? Confused - could be a stroke of genius though. Not sure why this wasn't tested in the pre season

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Just have to assume that the Minnosaur has been given a Leave Pass by General Soreness .
The big fella has to take on the bulk of the ruckwork and given the high energy game plan under Bevo with repeat contests , probably makes sense to rest him and throw the keys to Ayce and tell him to drive it like he stole it .

F'scary
24-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Just have to assume that the Minnosaur has been given a Leave Pass by General Soreness .
The big fella has to take on the bulk of the ruckwork and given the high energy game plan under Bevo with repeat contests , probably makes sense to rest him and throw the keys to Ayce and tell him to drive it like he stole it .

But doesn't it just say he has been omitted?

There has to be a back story to this. I want to know...what is it?

1eyedog
24-04-2015, 07:35 PM

My thinking too. It will tell us far more than what we know already.

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Bevo see's this year as a seek and find mission.
I like it.
Let's see what some of these players that have been on this list for a few years who havn't showed much have got.
We'll give em a chance for a couple of weeks,play them in different positions and instruct them to play a specific role each week.
It's up to them to show us what they've got.
This year is not about finals,yes to pick our best side available each week to have a chance of winning (yes we all want that) but bevo needs to know who he wants to persist with if we are to get back to being regular finals bound and leading to the ultimate success.

F'scary
24-04-2015, 07:41 PM
News.Com are interpreting "omitted" as "dropped" (the usual definition). What did he do, I wonder?

G-Mo77
24-04-2015, 07:58 PM

I am as well. I've been going on about this year after year, we've got to get real games into Cordy/Campbell and here is one in round 4. Ayce has a huge job in front of him and I really hope he seizes this opportunity with both hands. Good luck to him!

always right
24-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Smith Sub?
Wouldn't make sense. Sub him off after three quarters so he gets some match fitness. If we play him as the sub we would be better off giving him another full game in the VFL.

always right
24-04-2015, 08:01 PM
I find Beveridge's approach a breath of fresh air. Unlike some I don't consider us a realistic finals chance this year so some experimental moves may fast track our development for the next couple of years.

F'scary
24-04-2015, 08:13 PM
AFL.com reports:

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has made a big statement by dropping 2013 All Australian ruckman Will Minson.

That take indicates that Bevo was not happy with Minson's game against the Hawks and has made an example of him.

F'scary
24-04-2015, 08:21 PM
On the stats alone, it is hard to see Big Will's form as being that bad Ayce Cordy gets a call up...

Description
Date
Opponent
Result
K
HB
D
M
G
B
T
HO
GA
I50
FF
FA
AF
SC

Round 3
19th Apr
Hawthorn (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-hawthorn-hawks)
Loss 57-127 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=5988)

Round 2
11th Apr
Richmond (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-richmond-tigers)
Win 85-66 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=5974)

Round 1
4th Apr
West Coast (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-west-coast-eagles)
Win 97-87 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=5968)

The only thing I can see is hit-outs were down somewhat.

There must be more to this. Perhaps, something along the lines of a discipline issue during the week.

G-Mo77
24-04-2015, 08:25 PM
On the stats alone, it is hard to see Big Will's form as being that bad Ayce Cordy gets a call up...

Description
Date
Opponent
Result
K
HB
D
M
G
B
T
HO
GA
I50
FF
FA
AF
SC

Round 3
19th Apr
Hawthorn (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-hawthorn-hawks)
Loss 57-127 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=5988)

Round 2
11th Apr
Richmond (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-richmond-tigers)
Win 85-66 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=5974)

Round 1
4th Apr
West Coast (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-west-coast-eagles)
Win 97-87 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=5968)

The only thing I can see is hit-outs were down somewhat.

There must be more to this. Perhaps, something along the lines of a discipline issue during the week.

Hawthorn supporters were miffed when their key acquisition, McEvoy was dropped. It's actually helped their depth getting games into the likes of Ceglar. I'm not going to read that much into it. Minson's out, Cordy's In. Lets see what the guy can do in his natural position.

F'scary
24-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Hawthorn supporters were miffed when their key acquisition, McEvoy was dropped. It's actually helped their depth getting games into the likes of Ceglar. I'm not going to read that much into it. Minson's out, Cordy's In. Lets see what the guy can do in his natural position.

Ok! I won't make any jokes such as his natural position is in the reserves, but will await with interest the offerings the Ayce-in-the-Pack has for us on Sunday. Who knows? :)

SlimPickens
24-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Smith Sub?

I hope he starts, and starts in the centre square!!

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 10:25 PM
I hope he starts, and starts in the centre square!!

Ditto.
Hope @ the first bounce Dangerfield takes possesion from an Ayce tap and Clay crunches him into the ground like a pile driver.

Welcome back SMITTY! ;)

chef
24-04-2015, 11:43 PM
Minsons been pretty average so I'm not that fussed he's dropped.

bornadog
24-04-2015, 11:59 PM

Would have been nice if Campbell came in as I can't see how Cordy stays in.

AndrewP6
24-04-2015, 11:59 PM
Are the MC putting a late submission for April Fools Day in? If Minno isn't ill/injured etc, or something hasn't gone on behind the scenes, this is a bewildering decision (putting it mildly). Ayce better be fantastic. I'm not optimistic.

chef
25-04-2015, 12:03 AM
Would have been nice if Campbell came in as I can't see how Cordy stays in.

I'm happy to see Cordy given a crack as the number 1 ruck. See what he can do.

If not give Campbell a shot next week.

chef
25-04-2015, 12:04 AM
Are the MC putting a late submission for April Fools Day in? If Minno isn't ill/injured etc, or something hasn't gone on behind the scenes, this is a bewildering decision (putting it mildly). Ayce better be fantastic. I'm not optimistic.

Minson hasn't been great for a while now.

josie
25-04-2015, 01:10 AM
In Bevo we trust.

Unless Cordy does significantly better than his opposition player, including taking marks, I'm going to remain be unconvinced. Perhaps that's the thinking of the coach too. If that's the case at least it will be the end of a very long, very frustrating experiment.

Cannot help but think if he was not a father son pick then Ayce would have been delisted a long time ago (injury record and all).

I hope he proves me very, very wrong and I have to humbly apologise.

I do not think he will.

Really hope Dale is called up and that Clay puts in a pearler. I am going to be very anxious for Clay when he is tackled/tackles on Sunday.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-04-2015, 02:14 AM
I like the idea but I don't like the player(s) involved.

Cordy has had 4 possessions in two games of football. That is absolutely deplorable from a player who has had 7 years on an AFL list. How can he logically hold his spot over Minson, who has been OK - certainly leaps and bounds ahead of Cordy?

If Cordy or Campbell were in form and Minson slightly out of form (ala most of last year), I would have applauded such a decision, but as it stands right now Cordy has been non-existent at AFL level and Campbell underwhelming at VFL level. Minson has been our best performing ruck so far by a long way.

I don't like the rationale behind this at all. Jacobs will destroy us.

That aside, I hope Clay starts the game.

kruder
25-04-2015, 02:25 AM
Wow didn't see that coming! I thought Minson was excellent in the first two games and to see him dropped in favour of a player of Cordys ability is amazing. Speechless really.

I agree with BB above happy for statements to be made but for mine this is the wrong one(unless of course he has been a naughty boy).

AndrewP6
25-04-2015, 02:28 AM
Minson hasn't been great for a while now.

I don't think he's been that bad thus far. I have no faith whatsoever that Cordy is a better option.

Go_Dogs
25-04-2015, 08:31 AM
Jacobs has been doing his best work around the ground, he's very good below his knees for a big man and whilst he contests well, I wouldn't say his physicality is a standout. It might be a good opportunity for Cordy to demonstrate his ability below his knees and around the ground, which is where he should (theoretically) have an advantage over Minson.

I'm otherwise pretty happy with the inclusions, Smith will be ready to go, whilst Bontempelli, Boyd and Wood have been 3 good players for us in the first 2 rounds.

Avoid the rush
25-04-2015, 09:24 AM
As a bulldog SUPPORTER I hope that everything I think I know about football is wrong and BIG AYCE gets 3 votes for BOG. On the other hand I think seriously this is a 'just do it' moment'. We know what Will is capable of, playing solo ruckman, and after Sunday we will have a fair idea what Ayce can do.

dukedog
25-04-2015, 09:37 AM
Wew! King Clay you ripper. Hope he plays centre square. As for cordy i think those of you who have said that bevo has thrown him a bone this week would be right. He needs to take it. If he doesn't . I dont think another contract will be offered. Tough ask solo rucking against jacobs.

chef
25-04-2015, 09:56 AM
I don't think he's been that bad thus far. I have no faith whatsoever that Cordy is a better option.

I guess we'll find out, he won't have to play that good to be a better option ATM though.

1eyedog
25-04-2015, 09:59 AM

I thought Minson was really good against West Coast against two ruckmen. If he doesn't play this week he has a niggle or the MC are running an experiment aimed at making a decision on Cordy sooner rather than later. Don't mind them playing Cordy for 4-5 games just to be sure but the same opportunity needs to be afforded to Redpath and Roberts this season as well.

Bulldog Joe
25-04-2015, 10:19 AM
I thought Minson was really good against West Coast against two ruckmen. If he doesn't play this week he has a niggle or the MC are running an experiment aimed at making a decision on Cordy sooner rather than later. Don't mind them playing Cordy for 4-5 games just to be sure but the same opportunity needs to be afforded to Redpath and Roberts this season as well.

I also thought Minson was good against West Coast. However, his ruckwork was below par against Hawthorn and both Ceglar and McEvoy had more influence on the game.

Minson cannot be perservered with if he is continually allowing his opponents to better him.

The Underdog
25-04-2015, 10:29 AM
I guess we'll find out, he won't have to play that good to be a better option ATM though.

Like most I was bit bewildered initially, but I guess I keep coming back to what do we lose by not playing Minson. His ruck work hasn't been spectacular and he's not a particular influence around the ground. So if Cordy is just ok we're probably even to near even. I think our team balance is probably better with only one big slow guy on the field although I'm concerned that we're a tall defender short and that T. Boyd will need to spend more time on the ball than usual. I will say the Match Committee have certainly got my attention. Plus I think a potential Koby at CHF move is well overdue and will likely be the difference in our climb towards a premiership :)

Ghost Dog
25-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Rocket was a big believer in people coming up strongly through the seconds with consistent performances. Ayce hasn't really done that and I'm confused. He's just in because he's tall.
I'd go with Campbell any day because he has better kicking penetration - a longer kick, and more upside around the ground in terms of decision making. But, will be very interesting to see if Ayce steps up to the plate. Perhaps this is the reasoning. Will be his opportunity to shine or will have his papers marked.

I am also a SUPPORTER and want Ayce to do well. I can't help noticing how little joy he gets from the other players at the end of a game. I think he lacks self belief and from what I can observe is a little on the outer. I hope he gets a bit of Kamakazi footy in him, lays a huge tackle, gets into a wrestle, a massive smother or some other 1%er even if he can't be fully involved with the ball.

azabob
25-04-2015, 11:46 AM
From what I have read and what I have seen over the VFL finals series and the pre-season this year Cordy has come on leaps and bounds when playing as the number one ruck.

He covered the ground well, took strong marks and was aggressive at the man and the contest.

Yes, he struggled against Richmond as a key forward and yes he didn't get a lot of the footy against Hawthorn but he also played in a position that he wouldn't have trained for or played in the last few seasons.

As others have said I am OK with being the number one ruck.

I assume the MC told him early in the week so he has ample time to prepare mentally and study his opponent.

As mentioned many times on this forum, Cordy has had seven years on the senior list, but how many of those years has he been physically ready to compete against bigger, stronger and match hardened men?

How often has he been given the opportunity to play as number one ruck?

The club has been patient with Cordy and invested a lot of resources, time and money into him. Now is crunch time, he is in the final year of his contract, it is now make or break.

Surely we (the club) owe it to ourselves to actually see if the investment has paid off by playing him as the number one ruckman rather than making the decision on based on a sample size of Cordy playing as a key forward / key defender?

I think we do.

chef
25-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Rocket was a big believer in people coming up strongly through the seconds with consistent performances. Ayce hasn't really done that and I'm confused. He's just in because he's tall.
I'd go with Campbell any day because he has better kicking penetration - a longer kick, and more upside around the ground in terms of decision making. But, will be very interesting to see if Ayce steps up to the plate. Perhaps this is the reasoning. Will be his opportunity to shine or will have his papers marked.

I am also a SUPPORTER and want Ayce to do well. I can't help noticing how little joy he gets from the other players at the end of a game. I think he lacks self belief and from what I can observe is a little on the outer. I hope he gets a bit of Kamakazi footy in him, lays a huge tackle, gets into a wrestle, a massive smother or some other 1%er even if he can't be fully involved with the ball.

Does he have credits from how he finished last season in the VFL and deserves a chance to make the spot in the AFL team his?

F'scary
25-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Will Minson, 2013 AA ruckman, is one of the best stoppage ruckmen in the league and has been a major source of goals for us (assists and directly) from forward line stoppages over the past 2 seasons. He is also very vigorous in the centre bounces once the ball has hit the ground and is one of the best ruckmen in the league in those circumstances, which occur frequently.

However, as a centre bounce tap ruckman he is more a nullifier than anything else (a good tactic given his strengths on ground at clearances). We know that he is not suited to playing a marking forward role and no coach has been game enough to risk him as a tall defender, especially against resting ruckmen in their FP. He is also very average in general play as he is a fairly lumbering type of footballer but this is a typical problem with a lot of ruckmen.

I am wondering if the structural inflexibility that he creates (and which has been discussed on WOOF many times) is becoming an issue with Beveridge and that is the reason for the omission.

1eyedog
25-04-2015, 12:48 PM
I also thought Minson was good against West Coast. However, his ruckwork was below par against Hawthorn and both Ceglar and McEvoy had more influence on the game.

Minson cannot be perservered with if he is continually allowing his opponents to better him.

As we all know with a fairly low number of tricks in his box Will needs to dominate the ruck position each week in order to make a valid contribution to the team. Opposition rucks are running off him and destroying him around the ground. Nic Nat actually did this to him a few times and Will was lucky that he had a good hit out to advantage game as well as having Nic Nat coming back from injury. Will is slimmer and moving around the ground better but he still struggles to get to contests and provide a tall option around the ground. I can't think of an 100+ game ruckman with us or anyone else who has been as poor a mark or failed to affect contests around the ground as much as Will.

He's actually been very inconsistent since his AA season and really is not in our long-term plans. If Cordy / Campbell have a breakout season he'll be in trouble at the end of it and so will we because he's losing collateral each game he plays and no-one else is putting any pressure on him. I reckon Bevo is almost trying to create perceived pressure by playing Cordy this week. We would have got well overs for him at the end of 2013 but trading him out meant throwing Campbell / Cordy in the deep end, which is probably exactly what they (we) need.

Maddog37
25-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Minno is too short, very slow, won't jump and can't mark. Those are not really traits you want in your ruckman.

He has good points no doubt and I am not trying to denigrate him but he is getting exposed more and more.

The Underdog
25-04-2015, 01:36 PM

The only problem with your argument is that Campbell's recent form has been pretty ordinary. Agee that Ayce needs to add a decent dose of aggression to his game though. Be great to see some passion from him.

AndrewP6
25-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Watched an interview with Bevo makes me no clearer as to why Minno was left out. I hope for Ayce's sake, he performs well.

AndrewP6
25-04-2015, 03:36 PM

I'd have Minno over Ayce any day of the week.

chef
25-04-2015, 03:46 PM

Minno's a very limited player who seems to have been worked out.

I'd rather cast a eye to the future and see what else we have got on our list.

Short term pain for long term gain for me.

jeemak
25-04-2015, 03:52 PM

Have you seen Cordy play a few full games as first ruck at senior AFL level?

chef
25-04-2015, 04:05 PM
Have you seen Cordy play a few full games as first ruck at senior AFL level?
Yep deserves a run of games to see what we've got, and it's not like we're ditching a red hot minno either.

AndrewP6
25-04-2015, 05:17 PM
I'll watch in keen anticipation to see what we've missed in Cordy all these years.

Maddog37
25-04-2015, 05:21 PM
I like the risk taking attitude of this coach.

ledge
25-04-2015, 05:36 PM
I can find reason in it as in the fact Cordy is very good below his knees, Minson isn't as quick and with the weather being rain it would be better to have Cordy than Minson.
Watch Cordy when he has the ball he thinks and is actually quite evasive and handballs very well.
As a ruck in the wet he would be better than Minson once the ball hits the ground.

Hotdog60
25-04-2015, 05:40 PM
I can find reason in it as in the fact Cordy is very good below his knees, Minson isn't as quick and with the weather being rain it would be better to have Cordy than Minson.
Watch Cordy when he has the ball he thinks and is actually quite evasive and handballs very well.
As a ruck in the wet he would be better than Minson once the ball hits the ground.

Is the roof open this week?:)

GVGjr
25-04-2015, 05:42 PM

not really a consideration at Etihad though.

I wonder if Cordy has the tank to ruck at least 85% of the game?

Rocco Jones
25-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Not really a consideration at Etihad though.

I wonder if Cordy has the tank to ruck at least 85% of the game?

A great point. I think playing in the ruck is different too. Not so much about cardio but also being able to take the hits. One of Will's biggest strengths is his ability to play 90% TOG.

GVGjr
25-04-2015, 06:01 PM
A great point. I think playing in the ruck is different too. Not so much about cardio but also being able to take the hits. One of Will's biggest strengths is his ability to play 90% TOG.

I thought the addition of Hamling might have allowed Roughead to support Cordy a bit more. I don't mind Boyd doing some ruck work but with Will in the side it wouldn't have to be much more than a few 5 minute bursts. Cordy needs to get to 85% TOG if we can't use Roughead.

Rocco Jones
25-04-2015, 06:12 PM
I thought the addition of Hamling might have allowed Roughead to support Cordy a bit more. I don't mind Boyd doing some ruck work but with Will in the side it wouldn't have to be much more than a few 5 minute bursts. Cordy needs to get to 85% TOG if we can't use Roughead.

I really like the look of Hamling. In his first two games back from injury in the VFL, he has come on mid way through the 2nd quarter both times. Perhaps there are concerns over his ability to run out a game.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-04-2015, 08:26 PM
Yep deserves a run of games to see what we've got, and it's not like we're ditching a red hot minno either.

Disagree that Cordy deserves it - his form at AFL level over his career has been horrible, and his form at VFL level is nothing to write home about either, although he had a good 2014 finals series.

Minson has his limitations but he's miles ahead of Ayce, and Campbell is ahead of him too (understand Tom may need a few more weeks given his reco).

I'd say Ayce is extremely lucky, far from deserving.

dukedog
25-04-2015, 08:34 PM
Disagree that Cordy deserves it - his form at AFL level over his career has been horrible, and his form at VFL level is nothing to write home about either, although he had a good 2014 finals series.

Minson has his limitations but he's miles ahead of Ayce, and Campbell is ahead of him too (understand Tom may need a few more weeks given his reco).

^^^^ Nailed it. I cant remember him at afl level play as the solo ruck. Worth a shot. We need to replace Will one day, I also remember Will not getting games when hudson was playing,minnow never came good till he got given a fair crack at it. In Bevo we trust.

chef
25-04-2015, 08:41 PM

When has Ayce gotten a crack at playing as our solo ruck?

I agree he is lucky, but he deserves a shot at it. Not like Minnos been deserving of keeping him out of that chance either.

Remi Moses
25-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Well let's just assume they kept playing Will and not Cordy until years end.
We never find out whether Ayce or Tom C can play first ruck, and we have an ageing first ruck in a re-build.
Secondly we have to make a call on Cordy Campbell and Will, or pick up another mature ruck!!
The ball is well and truly in Ayce Cordy's court

Remi Moses
25-04-2015, 10:15 PM
^^^^ Nailed it. I cant remember him at afl level play as the solo ruck. Worth a shot. We need to replace Will one day, I also remember Will not getting games when hudson was playing,minnow never came good till he got given a fair crack at it. In Bevo we trust.
Minson's had one very good year in 3 years as first ruck. We're in a rebuild and we need to know what Cordy and Campbell offer as first ruck

The Bulldogs Bite
25-04-2015, 11:06 PM
When has Ayce gotten a crack at playing as our solo ruck?

I agree he is lucky, but he deserves a shot at it. Not like Minnos been deserving of keeping him out of that chance either.

Played solo ruck v Sydney later last season, but more to the point, he hasn't played as solo ruck often because he hasn't been good enough to do so.

I'm not a fan of gifting games to players who have been on the list for 7 years and shown nothing. Especially in a position as isolated as the ruck and against Jacobs who is arguably the best (or very close) in the league. It's not as if Ayce is going to 'suddenly' turn into a gun ruck because we decided to play him as the first ruck.

Well let's just assume they kept playing Will and not Cordy until years end.
We never find out whether Ayce or Tom C can play first ruck, and we have an ageing first ruck in a re-build.
Secondly we have to make a call on Cordy Campbell and Will, or pick up another mature ruck!!
The ball is well and truly in Ayce Cordy's court

Sounds good in theory but it couldn't be clearer that Ayce is not first ruck AFL quality. We should already know that.

As I've said previously a case could be made for Campbell when he's fit enough/in form, but not Ayce.

Remi Moses
25-04-2015, 11:12 PM
How do we know when he's never been first ruck at AfL level?
To be fair he's looked his best as first ruck at VFL level, and it's now Cordy's turn to show his wares .
We're still in development mode ( make no mistake) and we need to see whether Cordy or Tom C are up for it

bornadog
25-04-2015, 11:47 PM
Whether Cordy has been first ruck or not 4 disposals in two weeks tell me what sort of footballer he is.

Rocco Jones
25-04-2015, 11:59 PM
Whether Cordy has been first ruck or not 4 disposals in two weeks tell me what sort of footballer he is.

A very simplistic way of looking at it, but I probably agree!

Remi Moses
25-04-2015, 11:59 PM

Agreed, but let's see how he goes with some responsibility as first ruck .

Remi Moses
26-04-2015, 12:01 AM
A very simplistic way of looking at it, but I probably agree!

In fairness to Cordy he should have played more games last season, as Minson stunk .

Before I Die
26-04-2015, 12:48 AM
It is clear that Cordy hasn't been great the last two weeks, it is therefore even clearer that this selection is more about Minson than Cordy. Cordy had a strong preseason as a ruckman and two poor games as a key forward and as a key back. It would seem that Bevo is unhappy with Minson's games as a ruckman. Given the above, is this such a strange selection decision? Probably yes :),but not ridiculous.

bornadog
26-04-2015, 12:58 AM
No guarantees at selection for Minson, says Beveridge (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-25/no-guarantees-for-minson-)

WESTERN Bulldogs big man Will Minson is no longer seen as the team's best ruck option every week and was dropped partly because of match-ups against Adelaide, according to coach Luke Beveridge.Minson, who was named All Australian in 2013, struggled to produce his best form in 2014, and was sent back to Footscray in round 22 last season.

After averaging 13 possessions in three games this season, Beveridge said it was time to give Ayce Cordy a chance to lead the ruck against the Crows on Sunday.

ratsmac
26-04-2015, 09:20 AM
After reading everyone's comments, it is the consensus of this forum that Ayce doesn't deserve this chance that has been gifted to him, and quite frankly I have to agree. This is a master stroke by the coach or insanity, either way it's ballsy. I can't think of one piece of play or act on the field that I have seen from Ayce in the past 2 games that could warrant him getting another game coming on as sub with 5 minutes left in the match, let alone taking over the ruck duties from Minson as a lone ruckman. Ayce has forced Minson out of the team, wow! Did I miss something? I understand if it is round 15 and we are out of finals calculations but round 4. I am not sure if this sends the right message to the playing group to be honest. If McCartney had of made this move and it turns out how I would expect, there would be one particular thread on here that would get a going over! I really really really hope I am wrong and Ayce plays out of his skin and has a break out game.

GVGjr
26-04-2015, 10:05 AM
If McCartney had of made this move and it turns out how I would expect, there would be one particular thread on here that would get a going over! I really really really hope I am wrong and Ayce plays out of his skin and has a break out game.

It's the power of the honeymoon period and a couple of early wins. You're right if, Macca had made the same call the debate on Cordy would have been the secondary component of the discussions on this thread.

I've been supportive have having Cordy on the list but I also couldn't see how we could get any value of having him as a second ruckman. His form in the seniors has also been very poor and in a winnable game we are gambling on him coming good or at least breaking even with his Adelaide opponents. We will know early on in the game if it's been an inspired move.

The Underdog
26-04-2015, 10:27 AM
After reading everyone's comments, it is the consensus of this forum that Ayce doesn't deserve this chance that has been gifted to him, and quite frankly I have to agree. This is a master stroke by the coach or insanity, either way it's ballsy. I can't think of one piece of play or act on the field that I have seen from Ayce in the past 2 games that could warrant him getting another game coming on as sub with 5 minutes left in the match, let alone taking over the ruck duties from Minson as a lone ruckman. Ayce has forced Minson out of the team, wow! Did I miss something? I understand if it is round 15 and we are out of finals calculations but round 4. I am not sure if this sends the right message to the playing group to be honest. If McCartney had of made this move and it turns out how I would expect, there would be one particular thread on here that would get a going over! I really really really hope I am wrong and Ayce plays out of his skin and has a break out game.

Maybe Minson forced Minson out of the team. Maybe it isn't so much about Cordy's ability as much as Minson not fulfilling aspects of his role that the coaching staff place importance on.

chef
26-04-2015, 10:34 AM
Maybe Minson forced Minson out of the team. Maybe it isn't so much about Cordy's ability as much as Minson not fulfilling aspects of his role that the coaching staff place importance on.

Yep, it's not like Cordy has pushed out Hudson, Wynd, Darcy etc.

Minson hasn't been great for over a season now and it's time to see what else we have got.

Webby
26-04-2015, 10:54 AM

I think that pretty much sums it up. Successive coaches have now 'inexplicably' dropped Minson. So there's obviously more to it behind the scenes than we can see from the supporters' vantage point.

Perhaps McCartney didn't "have it in" for Will. Perhaps the view of the coaching panel is simply tat he's not effectively following instructions - or at the least, not effectively executing his part of our game plan.

Add to that discussions along the lines of "What do we do with Cordy?" And this starts to make sense.
Cordy is a ruckman, is a ruckman, is a ruckman!! Introducing the poor bastard into the seniors as a key defender is about as fruitful as having Curtly Ambrose opening the batting!

Justin Madden was a terrible forward, for example. He had to leave Essendon to get a run at the ruck and was runner up in the Brownlow within two years of doing so. Mind you, he was understudy to his brother - probably the second best ruckman of all time!

And Will is no Simon Madden! Will has never developed an extra string to his bow that allows him to take a tandem rucking role. It means he's either in the side as a sole ruckman, or he's out. It's the reason I was calling for him to be traded at the end of 2013.

He's a nice, intelligent bloke. A good guy. However he doesn't fit our plans.

Young ruckmen are supposed to come in, jump high, be raw, then gradually develop their positional play around the ground, their body work etc. then as time goes on, they should develop some attacking capability. An ability to rest forward, provide a target and clunk a mark. Will has never done that.

At our stage of development, I'd rather try and fail with Cordy and Campbell than persevere with Will. He's blocking Cordy and Campbell's development.

Had we traded Will (who was All Australian ruckmen at the time) in 2013, we'd have achieved a strong trade and Cordy and Campbell would each have an extra season of AFL footy under their belts... Not to mention, we could've rookied Darcy Fort - who looks the goods to me. I'm worried he'll be nicked from under our noses..

always right
26-04-2015, 11:05 AM
The reaction on this board may simply be a result of recent years where some players were selected week after week despite mediocre form.

Seems to me this decision has been made with post-2015 in mind. Why not start the transition now? What's the worst that could happen?....Cordy fails and we find out once and for all if he should remain on our radar as a future ruckman. It might decide what our draft strategy is going to be at the end of the year.

F'scary
26-04-2015, 11:27 AM
Minson has been named at FF in the VFL team. Campbell is first ruck. Selections that are consistent with Beveridge wanting to experiment early in the season with the ruck combination.