PDA

View Full Version : James Aish

Remi Moses
22-04-2015, 03:23 AM
Just wonder people's thoughts on chasing James Aish?
Looks like he is out the door

FrediKanoute
22-04-2015, 05:20 AM
Yep. Great ball user. Right age bracket. Strong outside run and carry.

bulldogtragic
22-04-2015, 10:18 AM
I'd guess he'd be going to South Australia. I'd like him, but like Polec i' thinking he's heading home.

F'scary
22-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Nah, concentrate on a gun CHF and/or a gun ruckman/forward. We've got a whole batch of good young midfielders moving through the ranks at the moment.

Go_Dogs
22-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Yes from me, although presumably Adelaide bound.

boydogs
22-04-2015, 02:15 PM
Yes from me, although presumably Adelaide bound.

You don't want someone on your books who is happy to walk out on a club to go home unless you're in their home state ala Mitch Clark

Happy Days
22-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Wonder what Dan Lonergan thinks of Bont v Aish now?

LostDoggy
22-04-2015, 03:38 PM
I wonder if the sudden go home factor has anything to do with the current position of Adelaide and Port? I wonder how long it takes before we lose a player to Hawthorn because the East-West Link wasn't built.

ledge
22-04-2015, 04:27 PM
To replace Dangerfield?

Go_Dogs
22-04-2015, 06:24 PM
You don't want someone on your books who is happy to walk out on a club to go home unless you're in their home state ala Mitch Clark

Adelaide is an hour away, bit different to being North or West.

divvydan
22-04-2015, 08:50 PM
If he's going to leave Brisbane, then we'll know straight away whether he wants to go home or just elsewhere just by talking to him and seeing if he's interested. If he is actually interested in coming here then there's no reason to think that he's doing it as a short term move until he can go home since he would already be at that point and would just instead, actually choose an SA club.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-04-2015, 11:25 PM
Given what we'd have to give up, no.

Quality player but I don't think he'll be a 'superstar' player.

Ozza
23-04-2015, 10:42 AM
Wonder what Dan Lonergan thinks of Bont v Aish now?

Because a journo would tend to be a better judge of under 18 talent, than recruiters who live and breathe it.

This was a bit like the hysteria from Tim Gossage about Freo picking Stephen Hill instead of Daniel Rich - after both players had played about 5 games. Rich is a good player....but Hill has certainly turned out to be a gun selection from Freo.

Happy Days
23-04-2015, 11:19 AM
Because a journo would tend to be a better judge of under 18 talent, than recruiters who live and breathe it.

This was a bit like the hysteria from Tim Gossage about Freo picking Stephen Hill instead of Daniel Rich - after both players had played about 5 games. Rich is a good player....but Hill has certainly turned out to be a gun selection from Freo.

The best one was Ebert vs. Dangerfield; "BUT HE'S NOT EVEN SOUTH AUSTRALIAN CAN HE EVEN PLAY CROWS FOOTBALL?"

Twodogs
23-04-2015, 11:25 AM
The best one was Ebert vs. Dangerfield; "BUT HE'S NOT EVEN SOUTH AUSTRALIAN CAN HE EVEN PLAY CROWS FOOTBALL?"

Seriously? :D

The question now is can the Crows play Dangerfield football?

Greystache
23-04-2015, 11:33 AM
Seriously? :D

The question now is can the Crows play Dangerfield football?

Plus "he's still at school, he can't even play next year". Because every rational person knows the success of a draftee can only be measure by what they do in their first season, and in particular what they do in the first 5-10 rounds.

1eyedog
23-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Given what we'd have to give up, no.

Quality player but I don't think he'll be a 'superstar' player.

Why do you think that because he is all outside and would need to develop an inside game?

I think he'll be a gun player, he's already very good, so skillful and he would compliment our insiders beautifully. If we could get him it would be a great outcome.

Ozza
23-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Admittedly, I haven't seen heaps of Aish - but from what I've seen, I'd love to see him setting up the play from Half Back.
But for the money being spoken about for him - you'd have to be considering him as pretty central to the midfield plans.

Nice to have - but wouldn't be jumping over others to get him.

comrade
23-04-2015, 12:31 PM
Prefer WHE from GWS. Not that he's particularly gettable...

Sedat
23-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Prefer WHE from GWS. Not that he's particularly gettable...
Not sure Boyd was thought of as particularly gettable about 6 months ago ;)

Go_Dogs
23-04-2015, 07:01 PM

Haha, living in Adelaide this is basically the public/media reaction.

Ebert has developed into a pretty handy player too, but it just goes to show the industry is far too quick to judge.

GVGjr
23-04-2015, 07:15 PM
While I think it's a highly unlikely scenario that Aish would be interested in coming to Vic let alone the Dogs I do believe he is the sort of footballer we should target.

Good list management is about quickly building a young and competitive playing list within a 3 or 4 year span and the addition of Aish who by the end of the year will have already had 2 years of development would help fast track our list with the aim of getting a good number of picks in the first two rounds of each draft.

Lets consider:

in 2011 we drafted:
Pick 17 - Clay Smith
Pick 39 - Michael Talia
and we have since acquired
Pick 30 - Joel Hamling from Geelong
Pick 38 - Jordan Kelly (R) from Hawthorn

That's 4 picks in the first 2 rounds of that draft.

in 2012 we drafted:
Pick 5 - Jake Stringer
Pick 6 - Jackson Macrae
Pick 21 - Nathan Hrovat

That's 3 picks in the first 2 rounds and Hunter and Prudden early in the 3rd.

in 2013 we drafted:
Pick 4 - Marcus Bontempelli
and we have since acquired
Pick 1 - Tom Boyd from GWS

If we added Pick 7 James Aish that would be an awesome result.
That would be 3 picks in the top 10 of that draft.

in 2014 we drafted:
Pick 26 - Toby McLean
Pick 27 - Lukas Webb
Pick 39 - Declan Hamiliton

That's 3 picks in the first 2 rounds with Dale and Daniel early in the 3rd and Biggs as good as handed too us by the Swans.

Not everyone we have drafted or acquired will make it but it's the right formula.
Aish might not be the ideal player for us and more than likely to be heading home to SA but if we could land 3 top 10 picks in one draft I think it's worth considering.

Remi Moses
23-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Thinking the same thing G
The Bont Big Tom and Aish!
Need a moment alone

Rocco Jones
23-04-2015, 09:54 PM
Not sure Boyd was thought of as particularly gettable about 6 months ago ;)

Not sure how many $7 million for 7 year contracts cards we can play though.

Throughandthrough
23-04-2015, 10:48 PM
Aish is a gun. All class on the Footy field.

boydogs
23-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Not sure how many $7 million for 7 year contracts cards we can play though.

Wasn't it $6m? $200k, $1.8m, $800k x 5

Twodogs
23-04-2015, 11:24 PM
The club has not said a figure on Boyd's contract.

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 12:16 AM
The club has not said a figure on Boyd's contract.

Lots. Just lots. That's all we need to know.

Twodogs
24-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Lots. Just lots. That's all we need to know.

Shedloads.

bornadog
24-04-2015, 10:04 AM
if we could land 3 top 10 picks in one draft I think it's worth considering.

Love your analysis and thinking on this one. Brisbane is along way away from Adelaide, but Melbourne isn't and he may like living here.

Throughandthrough
24-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Love your analysis and thinking on this one. Brisbane is along way away from Adelaide, but Melbourne isn't and he may like living here.

half the time involved in flying is packing, getting to the airport, waiting in the lounge, waiting at the carousel at the other end and then getting to wherever you are staying. An Adelaide/Melb flight takes up half a day.

Maddog37
24-04-2015, 01:41 PM
Assuming Crows finish high and we finish low on ladder.

What about Crows get Aish
We give Brisbane our first rounder
We get Jenkins and crows first rounder and we swap second round picks.

Rocco Jones
25-04-2015, 08:17 PM
I don't think going after James Aish would be very money ball-ish. We would have to pay overs to get him as Adelaide is obviously his preferred destination and both Adelaide clubs have strong lists.

I am a fan of going after players whose stocks are down and have lots of potential. Trent McKenzie looks lost at Gold Coast. Great disposal, a westy, need I say more?!

The Bulldogs Bite
25-04-2015, 08:29 PM
I don't think going after James Aish would be very money ball-ish. We would have to pay overs to get him as Adelaide is obviously his preferred destination and both Adelaide clubs have strong lists.

I am a fan of going after players whose stocks are down and have lots of potential. Trent McKenzie looks lost at Gold Coast. Great disposal, a westy, need I say more?!

Agreed. I think Aish is overrated anyway.

McKenzie would be a good get, as would a number of other Suns players. Given their form thus far, if it continues, there are bound to be some disgruntled players that would be worth pouncing on.

Greystache
25-04-2015, 08:32 PM
Not sure I understand the wraps on Mckenzie. Nice kick in a pure sense, but a pretty poor decision maker, and lacks any form of competitiveness. I don't think he has much to offer and ironically is probably best suited to the GC style of play.

Rocco Jones
25-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Not sure I understand the wraps on Mckenzie. Nice kick in a pure sense, but a pretty poor decision maker, and lacks any form of competitiveness. I don't think he has much to offer and ironically is probably best suited to the GC style of play.

It's that fine line when getting a trade bargain. If they looked great where they are, we would have to trade heaps.

Twodogs
25-04-2015, 08:48 PM
What about Jack Fitpatrick at Melbourne? KP who has looked really good at times but seems to have dropped back a bit the last 12 months or so. Another westy to boot.

Greystache
25-04-2015, 09:02 PM
It's that fine line when getting a trade bargain. If they looked great where they are, we would have to trade heaps.

That's true, but if you were looking for weaknesses to improve in a player decision making and competitiveness wouldn't be two of your preferred ones

Rocco Jones
25-04-2015, 09:06 PM
That's true, but if you were looking for weaknesses to improve in a player decision making and competitiveness wouldn't be two of your preferred ones

I certainly agree with you in terms of decision making. Being unhappy at a club/wanting to go home can have an affect on perceived competitiveness. Going back to the thread topic, Aish doesn't really look a competitive beat at the moment. But in essence, I agree, soft talented players are fool's gold.

Rocco Jones
25-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Mckenzie is a proto type Scott Clayton recruit .

As is Andrew Mackie. You don't want too many of the type but they can contribute to greatness. The issue with Clayton, is they become the norm rather than the exception.

Greystache
25-04-2015, 09:41 PM
I certainly agree with you in terms of decision making. Being unhappy at a club/wanting to go home can have an affect on perceived competitiveness. Going back to the thread topic, Aish doesn't really look a competitive beat at the moment. But in essence, I agree, soft talented players are fool's gold.

And that's the real trick in the end, identifying players who haven't delivered but could with some work.