PDA

View Full Version : Clay's comeback goal

westdog54
27-04-2015, 11:56 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-04-27/clays-comeback-goal

With the exception of the VFL premiership, this is probably the most joyful individual football moment our club has had in two years.

Watch and enjoy.

Twodogs
28-04-2015, 06:48 AM
We were never going to lose after that.

1eyedog
28-04-2015, 07:30 AM
How good was it! I watched it about 10 times.

Go_Dogs
28-04-2015, 08:41 AM
Great moment, was very happy for Clay - great comeback.

KT31
28-04-2015, 10:02 AM
Great to see Clay back and what a feeling it must have been for him to kick the goal and then have every Doggies player congratulate him.

EasternWest
28-04-2015, 10:04 AM
I'm ambivalent on whether or not it was actually a free kick. I'm leaning towards yes it was.

But that's irrelevant. It's great to see Clay back, and it's great to see his teammates acknowledge the moment accordingly.

Mantis
28-04-2015, 10:11 AM
I'm ambivalent on whether or not it was actually a free kick. I'm leaning towards yes it was.

Me too... Hawthorn were very good at 'leading with your head' the previous week which gave me the shits.. The fact that the arm got him around the neck pushes it into the free kick category.

But it was a nice moment, means a lot for him to be back out there which was evident in his post match interview.. Hope he gets a good run at it.

Mofra
28-04-2015, 10:23 AM
Loved the way every player went to him afterwards.
Thought Clay played well yesterday, at senior level in his first game for many many months and first at that level for almost two years. Can't wait to see what he does after a full pre-season.

1eyedog
28-04-2015, 10:47 AM
The most pleasing aspect about the celebration was that every single player got around him, not one didn't fail to congratulate him from Bob Murphy all the way down to Lukas Webb, talk about team unity!!! Where the hell has that been since 1996-97?

Clay's a barometer for the club both in terms of his personality and also as a professional athlete no doubt and he deserved his kudos but the show of solidarity from a group that are playing as one for each other is something I haven't seen from a Bulldogs side for 20 years. Does everyone remembert bemoaning the Hall and Thompson episode and the 3 on 1 that Hall was faced with? No one wanted to get involved and that has been a bit of a trend with past Bulldogs teams. Can you imagine 3 blokes on Bont, there would be massive melee fines for us :D

Well done Clay for slotting the goal, always loved your work and you're a welcome addition to an already very good team but well done and thank you to coaching staff for galvanising a group of talented youngsters and core of experienced Elders so quickly. There are no one way runners in this team, all of those are gone (yes even Granty is working both ways) and while I'm firmly sitting on the lid whatever is cooking away underneath is reaching boiling point.

Jeanette54
28-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Hard to watch that. Clay's single minded, head first attack on the ball could have had serious life long consequences for his well being.

I am not sure how it can be done, but somehow we must teach these courageous young men how to attack a ball in a different manner.

Round 2, 1975 was a long time ago, but those who were there would never want that to be repeated.

Ghost Dog
28-04-2015, 12:08 PM
Hard to watch that. Clay's single minded, head first attack on the ball could have had serious life long consequences for his well being.

I am not sure how it can be done, but somehow we must teach these courageous young men how to attack a ball in a different manner.

Round 2, 1975 was a long time ago, but those who were there would never want that to be repeated.

This is an excellent point Jeanette. Would never want someone to damage their neck or spine, but that is a very dangerous thing to do ,and I agree with your argument. This strategy should be strongly discouraged.

wimberga
28-04-2015, 12:37 PM
The most pleasing aspect about the celebration was that every single player got around him, not one didn't fail to congratulate him from Bob Murphy all the way down to Lukas Webb, talk about team unity!!! Where the hell has that been since 1996-97?

Clay's a barometer for the club both in terms of his personality and also as a professional athlete no doubt and he deserved his kudos but the show of solidarity from a group that are playing as one for each other is something I haven't seen from a Bulldogs side for 20 years. Does everyone remembert bemoaning the Hall and Thompson episode and the 3 on 1 that Hall was faced with? No one wanted to get involved and that has been a bit of a trend with past Bulldogs teams. Can you imagine 3 blokes on Bont, there would be massive melee fines for us :D

Well done Clay for slotting the goal, always loved your work and you're a welcome addition to an already very good team but well done and thank you to coaching staff for galvanising a group of talented youngsters and core of experienced Elders so quickly. There are no one way runners in this team, all of those are gone (yes even Granty is working both ways) and while I'm firmly sitting on the lid whatever is cooking away underneath is reaching boiling point.

Your spot on here one-eye.

Did anyone see footy classified last night? They showed Brendan Gayle (Richmond CEO) footage of the young richmond first gamer who did his knee during the match.

The footage showed the kid on the cart being taken off, and not 1 richmond player made an effort to get to the stretcher and support him. The car drove past a big group and I think it was Brandon Ellis who was nearby and said a couple of quick words to the kid, but it really was pathetic and terrible to watch.

Maybe I and a lot of others are reading a little too much into that, but I would hate for that sort of scenario to play out with our club.

The guys we have there now, the spirit and confidence and spirit building around this team really makes me believe these guys would do anything for each other.

Great seeing the support for clay.

LostDoggy
28-04-2015, 01:58 PM
It wasn't a free kick, you cant drop your head and barrel into someone, but I'll i
take it, love this guy his aggression at the ball is first rate

LostDoggy
28-04-2015, 02:24 PM

This can indeed work both ways, as per the Essendon-Hawthorn game a few years back where Lloyd cannoned into Sewell. The Hawks focused so much on retribution for that act that the Bombers, who remained focused on the footy, were able to gain the ascendancy and win the match.

I like the show of solidarity around a goal like Clay's, also in getting around guys being sent off on a stretcher, or a few close teammates remonstrating with the opposition after a cheap hit. As long as its demonstrated in a way that's about the player and not the opposition you're always going to benefit from it. As soon as you focus on the opposition as the priority you've lost the game. The example you raised, the Thompson on Hall incident, I was saddened to see nobody get involved, but I would've been equally as miffed to see everybody get involved in incidents of that sort.

bornadog
28-04-2015, 02:24 PM
It wasn't a free kick, you cant drop your head and barrel into someone, but I'll i
take it, love this guy his aggression at the ball is first rate

He had his head down already over the ball and then barrelled into the Crows player - result free kick.

LostDoggy
28-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Yeah well you watch the replay and you will see he drops it lower and the Adelaide player doesn't make forcefull contact with him, he actually slows right down and let's the momentum of smith take him down. As I said before his head was down and he barreled into him

Bulldog Revolution
28-04-2015, 02:57 PM
Dont care if it was or wasnt a free kick - Clay deserved some luck from the footy gods

Like others I enjoyed the teams celebration - and enjoyment for someone whose a great young guy and who's the living embodiment of being a bulldog

LostDoggy
28-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Well done on getting through the game unscathed. Love the way he goes about his footy. FWIW - was at the game and don't believe a free should have been paid to Clay. Not sure what else the crows player could have done at the time to aviod the clash. Clay lead with his head.

dog town
28-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Just on Clay does anyone else get really nervous watching him pivot and turn 180 degrees with players hanging off him? I saw the last time he got injured and he turned incredibly sharply under pressure. He has this amazing ability to twist and shrug with tacklers hanging off him. I am just concerned that's what makes him a knee candidate. I will probably get a clip for mozzing him but I just hope the club is monitoring this. I am no doctor but it seems to be a common movement in knee injuries.

In terms of his game I thought it was a good come back so early in his return. Pressure was very good.

Ghost Dog
28-04-2015, 06:05 PM

Um, yeah but I think some of our own players were a bit scared of Barry :) to be fair to the boys.

SonofScray
28-04-2015, 11:10 PM
He had his head down already over the ball and then barrelled into the Crows player - result free kick.

I'd rather those weren't paid, however, given we concede so many I was happy to have one go our way. The leading with the head trend needs to stop being rewarded, part of me thinks only a serious injury will get the players to change. It is dangerous and knowing that it will result in a free kick, is tantamount to cheating IMO.

dukedog
28-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Was gonna post about the topic myself. Bloody love this kid. He just loves footy.
Tell me he doesn't love footy. Dare ya. hahah.... "nothin better mate. nothin better" - King Clay
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-04-26/clay-smith-postgame-interview

Twodogs
28-04-2015, 11:40 PM
I'd rather those weren't paid, however, given we concede so many I was happy to have one go our way. The leading with the head trend needs to stop being rewarded, part of me thinks only a serious injury will get the players to change. It is dangerous and knowing that it will result in a free kick, is tantamount to cheating IMO.

Neil Sasche was doing a very similar action when the top of his head cannoned onto the knee of a player instead of the soft belly and he never walked again. I was there that day and I never want to see anything like that again. I wish players would stop doing it.

boydogs
29-04-2015, 01:35 AM

The taking the legs rule is going that way too, guys are running in front of opposition players diving on the ball to get a free

ledge
29-04-2015, 10:53 AM
Clay lifts the whole club, they feel so much bigger when he is around, at his VFL game last week I saw him and heard him hit someone near the boundary with a hip and shoulder, my god he hits to hurt and make you wary next time your near the ball. , Redpath is much the same.
And Clay is as strong as Stringer , they can both get off the ground with two blokes hanging off them.

ratsmac
29-04-2015, 09:57 PM
I hate players leading with their head just to draw a free. Same with lifting their arms so the tackle slips high (selwood, puopolo). It's using the rules through deceit for your advantage. It's not what the rule was really intended for. It's supposed to be there to protect the players. However if players on other teams do it against us, I expect our players to do it as well until umpires stop being sucked in.

It was fantastic to see the respect the Clay holds amongst his peers. I wanted to run out and pat him on the back as well.