PDA

View Full Version : From Irrelevant to Scary inside 6 months

1eyedog
30-04-2015, 04:04 PM
Scary at least according to Rory Sloane

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/rory-sloane-says-adelaide-crows-failed-to-cope-with-western-bulldogs-fast-ball-movement/story-e6frf3e3-1227327331013

How did we do this? What have we done so differently? It seems bizarre that a new coach and game plan can have such a dramatic effect so quickly. With Higgins, Cooney and Griffen out of the side we were supposed to lose most games!

SlimPickens
30-04-2015, 04:15 PM
We learnt how to be just as ferocious away from the contest.

Sloane is out of contract at the end of the year isn't he?

bornadog
30-04-2015, 04:25 PM
Scary at least according to Rory Sloane

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/rory-sloane-says-adelaide-crows-failed-to-cope-with-western-bulldogs-fast-ball-movement/story-e6frf3e3-1227327331013

How did we do this? What have we done so differently? It seems bizarre that a new coach and game plan can have such a dramatic effect so quickly. With Higgins, Cooney and Griffen out of the side we were supposed to lose most games!

Amazing what a decent game plan can do to a team.

Mofra
30-04-2015, 04:45 PM
*cough* Bontempelli *cough*

I think the addition of Tom Boyd has done amazing things for our structure.

Twodogs
30-04-2015, 04:52 PM

Dead straight. I've been impressed with how hard he works to impact contests and bring the ball to ground and follows up to keep the ball in the forward line. I can't believe other teams continue to let us get away with a pretty straight forward goal creating tactic every week without trying to shield him out of the contest or have a third man up to spoil Tom and work the ball to boundary rather than let it fall to our small forwards.

1eyedog
30-04-2015, 05:02 PM

I guess Talia holding up his end of the bargain in the back half as well?

Mofra
30-04-2015, 05:19 PM
Dead straight. I've been impressed with how hard he works to impact contests and bring the ball to ground and follows up to keep the ball in the forward line. I can't believe other teams continue to let us get away with a pretty straight forward goal creating tactic every week without trying to shield him out of the contest or have a third man up to spoil Tom and work the ball to boundary rather than let it fall to our small forwards.
He does often contest against two, leaving us with a numerical advantage on the ground. His willingness to just compete is such a positive for us.

I guess Talia holding up his end of the bargain in the back half as well?
Definitely. His ability to guard space is a massive improvement over Austin.

1eyedog
30-04-2015, 05:57 PM
He does often contest against two, leaving us with a numerical advantage on the ground. His willingness to just compete is such a positive for us.

Definitely. His ability to guard space is a massive improvement over Austin.

It's usually the Kennedy's and Walker's of this world that cut us (many teams) to pieces. He effectively tamed them both. Amazing also is the fact that he has become so dominating.

SlimPickens
30-04-2015, 06:01 PM

And buy in from all the players.

Greystache
30-04-2015, 06:26 PM

Good luck getting anyone external to acknowledge it however. The way some are so keen to pump up Hogan and talk about how he's so far ahead of Boyd has been a joke. In their last 2 games

Hogan
23 disposal 11 marks 4 goals

Boyd
22 disposals 9 marks 5 goals

LostDoggy
30-04-2015, 06:42 PM

As our profile grows, and our game plan continues to receive more exposure we will start to see opposition teams put more work into countering said game plan. It's a good problem to have and it'll be great to see how we go with a Plan B in the games where we can't play to our own tune (the seeming lack of which was Adelaide's downfall on the weekend).

And buy in from all the players.

Exactly. We were playing half-decent footy towards the end of 2013 whilst Macca seemed to still have the majority of players on his side, and whatever happened for him to lose that confidence obviously resulted in the massive slide that was 2014.

At some point, whether later this season or in the coming years of Beveridge's contract, we are going to enter a period where this faith in his game plan will again be tested. I hope we can continue to evolve both on the playing field and in our coaching tactics so that we can avoid this.

LostDoggy
30-04-2015, 06:43 PM
Good luck getting anyone external to acknowledge it however. The way some are so keen to pump up Hogan and talk about how he's so far ahead of Boyd has been a joke. In their last 2 games

Hogan

Boyd

This is good though. Let them continue to ignore him.

GVGjr
30-04-2015, 07:03 PM
A midfield that runs hard both ways is the biggest standout for me.
The improvement in Bontempelli, Stringer, Macrae, Wood and the likes of Johannisen has been massive for the club.
Lin Jongs form and development has been a huge bonus especially given that many didn't think he was up to it.
As Mofra mentioned, Boyd provides us that contest and structure we lacked and this helps the likes of Crameri. Boyd will be a very strong player for us in the future.
Finally, having our own VFL team last year and winning the premiership shouldn't be underplayed as a reason whey we have improved. It's given a lot of players the confidence that better times await and that their hard work will pay off.

We won't always be as positive as we are right now but the progress we have made in player development over the last few years will pay dividends in the longer run.

Maddog37
30-04-2015, 07:28 PM
If we can Get Fletcher Roberts to be a serviceable CHF or CHB (even better a bit of both) we will have a very, very handy young team.

Remi Moses
30-04-2015, 07:51 PM

Hogan

Boyd

It's getting silly the comparisons on such a small body of work.
The media gushing and comparisons are nauseating to say the least.
Also add the different development paths of Tom playing in a sub standard comp and Jesse playing in the best second tier comp.
Boyd's been with us for 6 months and Jesse's been there for three years, and I'm not doubting Hogan will be a star .

Twodogs
30-04-2015, 08:42 PM

Hogan

Boyd

This is good though. Let them continue to ignore him.

Exactly. Let's stop posting about it now before "bulldogs secret plan" appears in the Herald Sun.

G-Mo77
30-04-2015, 09:02 PM

Hogan

Boyd

Did you hear them scoff when they brought up Boyd's name on Friday night as a comparison? I think it was Ling who was the quickest to dismiss him. I'm happy with what Boyd has done so far and glad media clowns don't rate what he's done. I haven't forgotten how happy the arsewhipes seemed when that dark week in October hit. So many lined up to sink the boots in! My memory isn't so short.....anyway I'm going off course..... :mad:

One stat I love from Boyd is his 3 tackles per game but by all means keep on overlooking him. :)

boydogs
30-04-2015, 09:18 PM
Hogan

Boyd

Hogan's had Dawes to take some of the attention of the big defenders, Redpath hasn't played for us since round 1 which has made it easier for Boyd to be double-teamed

LostDoggy
30-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Hogan's had Dawes to take some of the attention of the big defenders, Redpath hasn't played for us since round 1 which has made it easier for Boyd to be double-teamed

Stringer did a pretty good job of drawing Talia by the third quarter.

boydogs
01-05-2015, 12:19 AM
Stringer did a pretty good job of drawing Talia by the third quarter.

Then proceeded to get subbed off, leaving even more attention on Boyd

jeemak
01-05-2015, 02:03 AM

I'm racking my brain to think of the significant differences in game plan between what we're seeing now versus the very good games we played in 2013-2014.

There's definitely a psychological difference in the playing group that is evident. They seem to be willing to do the hard stuff, plus the creative and daring things we couldn't sustain during the above mentioned period beyond one or two weeks.

As some others have mentioned there's a difference in structure in that we actually have a genuine 200cm key forward opposition defenders are wary of, which has straightened us up and made it easier for us to move the ball directly towards something tangible.

Another structural benefit we've seen this year is the form of Talia, who after watching live in the VFL qualifying final at Whitten Oval, I thought was really struggling. He's really come out of his shell and is playing great football supported by a solidified defence supported by the veterans Murphy, Boyd and Morris/Wood.

Ozza
01-05-2015, 09:50 AM

Boyd really should have at least 3-4 more goals for the season so far if he'd been paid a free kick at any stage.
I guess we just have to be patient and wait until things turn with the umpires in regards to Boyd.
Greystache said it best I think when he said that the umpires had chosen to give him the Barry Hall treatment, rather than the Nick Riewoldt treatment.

bornadog
01-05-2015, 10:18 AM
I'm racking my brain to think of the significant differences in game plan between what we're seeing now versus the very good games we played in 2013-2014.

There's definitely a psychological difference in the playing group that is evident. They seem to be willing to do the hard stuff, plus the creative and daring things we couldn't sustain during the above mentioned period beyond one or two weeks.

As some others have mentioned there's a difference in structure in that we actually have a genuine 200cm key forward opposition defenders are wary of, which has straightened us up and made it easier for us to move the ball directly towards something tangible.

Another structural benefit we've seen this year is the form of Talia, who after watching live in the VFL qualifying final at Whitten Oval, I thought was really struggling. He's really come out of his shell and is playing great football supported by a solidified defence supported by the veterans Murphy, Boyd and Morris/Wood.

Structure has a lot to do with it, but I think allowing the players to play their natural game also goes along way to the change. By this I mean, not just drumming into the players head they must be defensive all the time, but rather they can play on and take the game on. I feel lots of players were stifled under the previous game plan. Guys like Talia, who is a ball accumulator was asked to strictly stick with his man at all times.

One of the biggest factors is we now don't all tackle at once. In the past few years there would be three players jumping in the pack and tackling, and leaving no one for the spread and quick ball movement. Now we take turns in tackling and leaving other players on the outside to get the ball when it's fed out. We are moving the ball much quicker and finding other teams out.

Another Bevo tactic is not trying to win every position on the ground. It didn't work very well against Hawthorn due to injury, but what Bevo tried there was , let's leave Hodge do his thing and we will win the ball in other areas of the ground. It fell apart once Wallis and Morris went down. Similarly last week, Bevo wasn't worried about winning hitouts, he was more concerned about the next move and getting the ball back. At half time last week, I was amazed by the stats. We were winning only a couple of stats like tackles, and there were lots of players with only a hand full possessions, yet we were smashing them on the scoreboard.

This year we don't have a one or two players dominating the ball, but rather a more even overall team effort.

LostDoggy
01-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Boyd really should have at least 3-4 more goals for the season so far if he'd been paid a free kick at any stage.
I guess we just have to be patient and wait until things turn with the umpires in regards to Boyd.
Greystache said it best I think when he said that the umpires had chosen to give him the Barry Hall treatment, rather than the Nick Riewoldt treatment.

He's had about 3 frees paid that have turned into advantage play ons and goals. He is going beautifully.

jeemak
01-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Structure has a lot to do with it, but I think allowing the players to play their natural game also goes along way to the change. By this I mean, not just drumming into the players head they must be defensive all the time, but rather they can play on and take the game on. I feel lots of players were stifled under the previous game plan. Guys like Talia, who is a ball accumulator was asked to strictly stick with his man at all times.

One of the biggest factors is we now don't all tackle at once. In the past few years there would be three players jumping in the pack and tackling, and leaving no one for the spread and quick ball movement. Now we take turns in tackling and leaving other players on the outside to get the ball when it's fed out. We are moving the ball much quicker and finding other teams out.

Another Bevo tactic is not trying to win every position on the ground. It didn't work very well against Hawthorn due to injury, but what Bevo tried there was , let's leave Hodge do his thing and we will win the ball in other areas of the ground. It fell apart once Wallis and Morris went down. Similarly last week, Bevo wasn't worried about winning hitouts, he was more concerned about the next move and getting the ball back. At half time last week, I was amazed by the stats. We were winning only a couple of stats like tackles, and there were lots of players with only a hand full possessions, yet we were smashing them on the scoreboard.

This year we don't have a one or two players dominating the ball, but rather a more even overall team effort.

Fair enough.

The bold piece represents one of my biggest bugbears since the mid 00's. We have year on year presented teams that for whatever reason haven't known how to nominate and hang back. It's a trait that drives me mad.

G-Mo77
01-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Fair enough.

The bold piece represents one of my biggest bugbears since the mid 00's. We have year on year presented teams that for whatever reason haven't known how to nominate and hang back. It's a trait that drives me mad.

Same jeemak. Really frustrating see it happening again and again year after year. It's all well and good to hunt a player and tackle hard but you've got to be smarter about it. It's something that has improved a hell of a lot this season.