PDA

View Full Version : Why the Bulldogs have the best recruiting team in the AFL

Sedat
07-05-2015, 12:48 PM
http://boundforglorynews.com/why-the-bulldogs-have-the-best-recruiting-team-in-the-afl/

Pretty interesting read and a good summation of the excellent work that Dalrymple and Jason McCartney have done in recruiting and list management since 2012.

Bulldog Joe
07-05-2015, 12:56 PM
Excellent.

2014 draft looking pretty good with the terrific start by Lukas Webb.

Lots of reasons for an optimistic outlook.

1eyedog
07-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Good article. Leuenberger is an interesting one, had an excellent couple of years a few years ago and is a top 5 I think.

Happy Days
07-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Good article. Leuenberger is an interesting one, had an excellent couple of years a few years ago and is a top 5 I think.

Agreed. I think that much of the reason he is on the outs has as much to do with the rise of Stefan Martin, rather than anything he has specifically done or not done. Would love to have a look at him.

Greystache
07-05-2015, 02:20 PM
I was talking about this with someone this week, where do you think T Boyd would be if the B&F were counted today? Top 10 comfortably we thought, possible 5 or 6 even.

Maddog37
07-05-2015, 03:33 PM
I was talking about this with someone this week, where do you think T Boyd would be if the B&F were counted today? Top 10 comfortably we thought, possible 5 or 6 even.

Check our voting and all will be clear......

Remi Moses
07-05-2015, 03:35 PM
The recruiting certainly picked up the pace once they were made full time .
Even just 6 years ago I found that staggering that our recruiting officer was part time !:confused:

BulldogBelle
07-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Even just 6 years ago I found that staggering that our recruiting officer was part time !:confused:

After the coach and the players probably one of the most important roles at the club, if you want success.

Greystache
07-05-2015, 04:06 PM

Scott Clayton was full time for 10 years, Dalrymple was only part-time when he first took over before going full time.

bornadog
07-05-2015, 04:27 PM
Scott Clayton was full time for 10 years, Dalrymple was only part-time when he first took over before going full time.

It's also the staff and other recruiters they have working for them (full time part time), plus list management.

We just didn't have the resources back then, but PG has pumped more dollars into the footy department which helps enormously.

Bulldog Joe
07-05-2015, 04:40 PM

Actually the B&F would be really difficult to judge. We have had such depth of contribution.

Greystache
07-05-2015, 05:18 PM
It's also the staff and other recruiters they have working for them (full time part time), plus list management.

We just didn't have the resources back then, but PG has pumped more dollars into the footy department which helps enormously.

We've always had plenty of additional recruiters, they do it mostly as a labor of love and only get a token fee, we haven't added any real resources other than a full time list manager. We're just getting the picks right now which is a combination of a recruiter with a better eye, and hands on involvement from the coach as to the type of player we want and ensuring they have the attitude to be coached. Both of which were a serious weakness previously.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Not a big fan of Leuy - he has obvious natural talent but he's always injured or out of form.

I'd rather play Campbell and invest elsewhere.

bornadog
07-05-2015, 06:31 PM
We've always had plenty of additional recruiters, they do it mostly as a labor of love and only get a token fee, we haven't added any real resources other than a full time list manager. We're just getting the picks right now which is a combination of a recruiter with a better eye, and hands on involvement from the coach as to the type of player we want and ensuring they have the attitude to be coached. Both of which were a serious weakness previously.

Recruitment now is far different than the old days. For starters there is the use of technology. For me its chalk and cheese compared to what happened in the past as far as resources are concerned.

LostDoggy
07-05-2015, 06:36 PM
What about Zac Smith?

Dancin' Douggy
07-05-2015, 06:59 PM
There's one glaring oversight in that summation.
2010 the draft was dominated by gold coast and we got lucky with a couple of father sons. Sure.
But 2011 was dominated just as heavily by GWS, this wasn't mentioned, and to pluck Clay Smith and Talia with picks 17 and 39 in that year is an excellent result.
Since then our recruiting has been absolutely A grade.

What they were thinking in 2009.................who knows?