PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 6 Edition

Eastdog
08-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Once the Round 6 match against St. Kilda is completed, let us know the three things you learned after watching the match.

Be constructive but be honest.

GVGjr
09-05-2015, 05:14 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
09-05-2015, 05:49 PM
1. Having an average team have an 11 goal turnaround is bloody awful.
2. Clay is just an unlucky guy.
3. We need some big bodies back now.

Remi Moses
09-05-2015, 05:55 PM
1) I'm hoping they don't use injuries as an excuse
2) we ain't making the eight
3) need some bigger bodies in there

chef
09-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Losing 2 players at half time and after slog last week it was always going to be a struggle in the second half. We needed a few more fresh bodies.

Ayce looks he could be a chance.

Clay will probably end up a 'what if' player.

Greystache
09-05-2015, 06:08 PM
1. A good effort last week was enough for a few.

2. Someone's going to have to explain to me the no hitout, no tag, no manning up on a +1 defender game plan. All 3 is an opposition coach's wet dream.

3. Long long way to go to having a mentally tough team.

F'scary
09-05-2015, 06:14 PM
1. Successive matches without a genuine CHF looked dodgy today, didn't get away with it. There were a lot of long bombs without the timber there. Toyd was having to rush up from the next line to try to compete.

2. Ok, Ayce did some good things but we were smashed in the ruck and the clearances again, this time it hurt.

3. Hunter is not a midfielder.

RoZDog
09-05-2015, 06:26 PM
1. No need to panic, lost a rotation in the 2nd half coming off a slog from last week. Port won 5 on a row before losing 5 in a row in 2013 (including against us).
2. If we don't kill the contest in the defensive half we get burnt on ground level.
3. Our 'best' will destroy teams in a few years with some miles in the legs.

jeemak
09-05-2015, 06:49 PM
1. The mental side of our game isn't anywhere near where we believed it to be, and we need to find players who can adapt to and deal with pressure

2. Some of our poor kicks are still poor kicks, and we need to move them on if they don't improve

3. As a Dogs supporter you can't relax, and just when you think you can and enjoy some sunshine this club gets its bastard on and rubs your face in it

The Bulldogs Bite
09-05-2015, 07:08 PM
1. Poor coaching - we didn't plan for St. Kilda until yesterday according to Beveridge, we didn't tag Armitage, we didn't slow the game down. Bad. Very bad.

2. False sense of security strikes again - seems to happen with great regularity. I don't buy into "needing a reality check" - that's BS. We went into half time and thought it was game over.

3. Hunter will struggle to make the grade.

Mantis
09-05-2015, 07:16 PM
A

3. Hunter will struggle to make the grade.

That's a big change for you.. We had some discussions on said topic last year where I said the same thing.

Why the change of mind?

F'scary
09-05-2015, 07:20 PM
A

That's a big change for you.. We had some discussions on said topic last year where I said the same thing.

Why the change of mind?

Well, jumping in, I've never seen midfielder signs from him. Stamina, running, likes to set up for the speccie as opposed to chasing...etc. He has short legs but doesn't like it inside in the kitchen when it gets hot (like Higgins, his guernsey predecessor). His best work has been as a permanent forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-05-2015, 07:29 PM

Why the change of mind?

Yeah I have defended him in the past. I thought given he was so young he would improve his glaring deficiencies, but watching today it's evident he has no interest in doing that, and in our game plan which demands hard gut running and total commitment to defense Hunter will be quickly left behind if he doesn't do a 360.

Honeychurch has half the talent of Hunter, but he'll be picked well ahead of him based purely on effort/intent/team first footy. I'd even have Grant ahead of Hunter.

Flamethrower
09-05-2015, 08:08 PM
1 Our traditional jumper is one of the best in the AFL - don't mess with it.

2 We need a plan B when the oppostion get all the momentum.

3 If Clay didn't have all this bad luck, then he would have no luck at all.

AndrewP6
09-05-2015, 08:33 PM
1. We are miles off where we want to go (although I knew that really)
2. Hunter isn't as good as I thought.
3. Bevo, like the players, has to get better.

comrade
09-05-2015, 08:58 PM
1. It's hard to win when you're down a rotation, on the back of a slog interstate, with a team that is over a year younger on average than the opposition - even when 10 goals up.
2. Bevo needs a plan B when the tide is turning, but having just 2 guys with over 100 games experience, we still lack leaders to implement on field changes.
3. We're desperate for the grunt of Wallis in the midfield.

ratsmac
09-05-2015, 09:15 PM
1. We were an outside chance to play finals this year if we win all the must win games and sneak a few unlikely wins. Days like today make finals unlikely.

2. We are the best team to watch when we are up and running.

3. Jack Billings is everything I want Lachie Hunter to be.

Bulldog4life
09-05-2015, 09:28 PM
1. We are 4 wins 2 losses maybe another loss next week still doing better than a lot of us expected...although I picked them for 8th.:)

2. Only a young side and there will be ups and downs.

3. I thought before this week that Tommy Boyd was a reliable shot for goal.:(

BulldogBelle
10-05-2015, 12:09 AM
1. We are 4 wins 2 losses maybe another loss next week still doing better than a lot of us expected...although I picked them for 8th.:)

2. Only a young side and there will be ups and downs.

l think everyone thought the same. Was saying to my mate what a great shot he was when he marked the ball in front of goal.:(

Bulldog4life
10-05-2015, 12:29 AM
l think everyone thought the same. Was saying to my mate what a great shot he was when he marked the ball in front of goal.:(

Yes I was left with egg on my face too,

Ghost Dog
10-05-2015, 12:42 AM
1. You only need to be a little off your game to be rolled. Hawks and Dogs are evidence of this.
2. Jong and Boyd are important cogs in our machine.
3. As Luke said in the presser, we had one more day to recover than the saints. The Sydney game had nothing to do with this loss, and we have to find the answer.

and to indulge, 4) there are two types of fans. Those that look to the past, and those that take a second half of footy for what it is.

Go_Dogs
10-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Yes I was left with egg on my face too,

Make that 3 of us...

1. Jong has become so important to us for his effort around the clearance, taking the game on and his pace. Not our most talented, but almost out most important point of difference in the midfield this year.

2. Jacko Macrae needs to go and spend some time at VFL level, however I'd be playing him off a half back flank for a few weeks with the instructions being to beat your man and work on your use rather than him racking up 30+ touches through the middle.

3. Honeychurch and Hunter. If we could combine the skills that both offer into a singular player, they'd be pretty bloody good. Love HC's effort, he's hard and knows how to get involved in an important moment but on more than a few occasions a skill or decision making error lets down his good work. Hunter needs another week and one where he doesn't start as a sub, but he needs to play forward and focus on the basics and team-defence mantra - making them the cornerstones of his game -my perception (which may be wrong) is too much sizzle at the moment.

Twodogs
10-05-2015, 08:58 PM

Make that 3 of us...

I saw Plugger fluff very gettable shots at goal in a quarter once. Two of them were to get St Kilda to within a kick of the lead, one of them would have snatched it back. Lockett was in his mid 20s and kicking goals for fun in those days. We won the game.

Tom Boyd will be fine.

FrediKanoute
10-05-2015, 09:11 PM
1. Our game plan is so intense and demanding that it is susceptible to losing rotations through injuries;
2. Jong and M Boyd were big outs today, especially losing Clay and the Stevens pulling up sore;
3. Ayce will make it.

Ozza
10-05-2015, 09:17 PM
1. Jack Macrae needs to plant his feet on the ground a bit and start playing team footy.
2. Can't have all of Dahl, Hrovat, honey and Hunter in the team - too small in height and body right now.
3. Every team in the league has great skills- it's just the pressure that is applied to them and the options the players have ahead of them that makes the difference (compare saints two halves).

The Doctor
11-05-2015, 09:17 AM
I've learnt one thing.

We are in the curious predicament of being able to beat the teams above us on the ladder but not those below us. this excludes Richmond as they don't count. Watch out Freo!

LostDoggy
11-05-2015, 09:23 AM
I would suggest that his goal kicking form throughout his career is a better indicator than his two misses on the weekend. For me, that was another sign of a tired player due to the previous week. When you're not quite at your best, goal kicking routines can be altered a little big unintentionally

soupman
11-05-2015, 09:54 AM
2. Can't have all of Dahl, Hrovat, honey and Hunter in the team - too small in height and body right now.

I'm curious what this is based on? People often say we have too many small blokes on the list, but I think if they are good enough, which they all certainly are capable of being, whats the issue?

On the weekend Dahlhaus was one of our better players, Honeychurch was one of the few to keep contributing right to the end, Hrovat was a tad quieter and Hunter was poor not because of his size but because of his unwillingness to contest.

They had similiar output to Bontempelli (Dahl), Macrae (Honey), Crameri (Hrovat) and maybe Webb (Hunter) and their sizes are all tall running types. I don't remember any stage of the match where their size was what lost them the contest.

Especially when you take into account we are not a small side overall (Boyd, Roughead, Roberts, Cordy, Talia, Crameri, Stringer, Bontempelli, Macrae, Stevens, Wood) are all reasonably sized for their positions I don't know what the issue is. We certainly weren't bullied last week, and the only player of the ones you have listed who's isn't naturally intense is Hunter.

1eyedog
11-05-2015, 11:39 AM
I would suggest that his goal kicking form throughout his career is a better indicator than his two misses on the weekend. For me, that was another sign of a tired player due to the previous week. When you're not quite at your best, goal kicking routines can be altered a little big unintentionally

Are you saying that he missed those two kicks from 20 metres out early in the first quarter because of the Sydney game 7 days earlier?

bulldogsthru&thru
11-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Are you saying that he missed those two kicks from 20 metres out early in the first quarter because of the Sydney game 7 days earlier?

The whole "Sydney Game" exhaustion is no excuse for anything that occurred on saturday. You dont give up 55 points leads in the 3rd quarter even if you are tired. We had a 7 day break to their 6. Its no excuse. Yeah we were stuffed and that was obvious but its no excuse. Why were we so tired....l mean THAT tired. Gameplan? Sydney game? Youth? Combination of all 3??

Mofra
11-05-2015, 12:03 PM
1. Our summer was spent learning an exciting plan A - I hope the next one is spent developing a plan B tempo game

2. Who would have ever thought we'd run out of inside midfielders?

3. Without Boyd to kick to in the F50 we are a bottom 4 side. Stringer on the bounce or high to a Boyd contest are our only options right now.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-05-2015, 12:18 PM
1. Our summer was spent learning an exciting plan A - I hope the next one is spent developing a plan B tempo game

3. Without Boyd to kick to in the F50 we are a bottom 4 side. Stringer on the bounce or high to a Boyd contest are our only options right now.

We reverted to our old ways on saturday. Countless times we just bombed it in there

Mantis
11-05-2015, 12:29 PM

Yep, we don't have many options down there at the minute. It's either our running players (including defenders) or Boyd & Stringer and not much else.

Really need more goals out of our forwards .ie. Dickson, Crameri, Dahlhaus, etc.. I guess all of these are still influencing the game, but in playing 'higher' roles there aren't hitting the scoreboard as we need thm to.. especially Dickson who hasn't kicked a goal in our last 4 games.

bornadog
11-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Yep, we don't have many options down there at the minute. It's either our running players (including defenders) or Boyd & Stringer and not much else.

Really need more goals out of our forwards .ie. Dickson, Crameri, Dahlhaus, etc.. I guess all of these are still influencing the game, but in playing 'higher' roles there aren't hitting the scoreboard as we need thm to.. especially Dickson who hasn't kicked a goal in our last 4 games.

We need to get Grant down there.

1eyedog
11-05-2015, 12:39 PM

Would we still be bottom 4 with Redpath at FF rather than Boyd? Is Boyd the big difference between winning and losing? HAs Boyd's 8 goals this year made a massive difference? Is Redpath less likely to affect the spoil allowing our smalls opportunities at goals than Boyd?

For the record Crameri has kicked one less goal than Boyd this year and been involved in more goal assists, so it's three options rather than two.

Mofra
11-05-2015, 12:40 PM
Our higher players need to provide more of a get out option too - Boyd was forced to play up the field at times when there was no other choice (we kicked it to Dahl in the second half a few times in a contested situation!).

I wonder if playing a high forward as an extra midfielder as we do is having an effect on our longer leading options? It's almost worth trying a Redpath as the second higher contested marking tall again.

jeemak
11-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Our higher players need to provide more of a get out option too - Boyd was forced to play up the field at times when there was no other choice (we kicked it to Dahl in the second half a few times in a contested situation!).

I wonder if playing a high forward as an extra midfielder as we do is having an effect on our longer leading options? It's almost worth trying a Redpath as the second higher contested marking tall again.

I think this once again demonstrates the need for a genuine ruck/forward to be secured this post season.

chef
11-05-2015, 12:50 PM
We need to get Grant down there.
Chris would be handy;)

1eyedog
11-05-2015, 01:07 PM
I think this once again demonstrates the need for a genuine ruck/forward to be secured this post season.

Don't we have one sitting on the side lines?

Mofra
11-05-2015, 01:18 PM
Would we still be bottom 4 with Redpath at FF rather than Boyd? Is Boyd the big difference between winning and losing? HAs Boyd's 8 goals this year made a massive difference? Is Redpath less likely to affect the spoil allowing our smalls opportunities at goals than Boyd?
Boyd is almost always ready to present whenever we have the ball upfield and it seems the bulk of our non-Stringer goals come from Boyd contests.

I haven't seen anyone in Bulldog colours since Grant sit in the F50 and constantly get to the drop of the ball. I'm very happy with the acquisition

1eyedog
11-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Boyd is almost always ready to present whenever we have the ball upfield and it seems the bulk of our non-Stringer goals come from Boyd contests.

I haven't seen anyone in Bulldog colours since Grant sit in the F50 and constantly get to the drop of the ball. I'm very happy with the acquisition

Yep happy with it too I think he's been good. His real value has been his ability to play the role of a high forward and provide that long target. Sounds simple but it's a rare talent.

I wonder though whether he has been the difference between us being bottom 4 team or not. Difficult to judge for mine without playing Campbell or Redpath there all year I suppose. He certainly reads the flight of the ball far better than Jones and if it just comes down to being at the drop of the ball I think Campbell could (and has at times) done a similar job, with Crameri, Grant or Dickson playing lead up high half forward roles. Incidentally, it's been pretty disappointing hearing the moans from Bulldog members around me about how many goals he has (or hasn't) kicked. I think most are expected 3-4 a week. Pay your $500 a year I guess you've every right to moan...

Not adverse to actually playing Campbell deep and Boyd 40-50 metres out similar to how McKernan and Carey used to set up. I think we need another tall option.

Mofra
11-05-2015, 02:04 PM
Not adverse to actually playing Campbell deep and Boyd 40-50 metres out similar to how McKernan and Carey used to set up. I think we need another tall option.
Is Campbell right to go yet? The interrupted pre-season is a worry and he has spent more time forward (due Minno's VFL presence) then in the ruck so may not be getting the kms into the legs for gametime.

A genuine ruck/forward would be very handy on our list right now.

1eyedog
11-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Is Campbell right to go yet? The interrupted pre-season is a worry and he has spent more time forward (due Minno's VFL presence) then in the ruck so may not be getting the kms into the legs for gametime.

Good question. Can we keep playing Ayce and play Campbell deep forward and then sub Ayce and throw Campbell into the ruck for the last quarter? Can we play Ayce and Campbell in the same team or are we just too big with Roberts, Talia, Roughie and Boyd also out there?

Fitness aside I'm keen to get Campbell out there. He can ruck and he can mark and is far too good for VFL. Wasn't he leading our VFL B&F last year before he came back into the firsts? Good young player at only 23.

soupman
11-05-2015, 02:44 PM

I blame this forum. Ever since someone posted that stat saying he was in the top ten most accurate players in the comp ever he has done nothing but miss and miss badly. He has been absolutely shanking kicks lately, but luckily his defensive pressure has been excellent and his link up play decent.

1eyedog
11-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Dickson's been playing on a wing those last 4 weeks. Basically played midfield on Saturday and was pretty good.

Sedat
11-05-2015, 02:56 PM
With the sub-rule about to be abolished, I wonder how this will impact on the rucks? Certainly the introduction of the sub-rule destroyed the careers of the traditional 2nd ruckman - Hudson/Minson type tandems were rendered obsolete overnight. Perhaps there will be a slight correction back in favour of mobile ruckmen in the Cox mould? Interchange rotations are tipped to be capped at 100 next year with no subs - if they go to 80 or lower, then the ruck absolutely will need to have additional strings to their bow.

Mofra
11-05-2015, 03:04 PM
With the sub-rule about to be abolished, I wonder how this will impact on the rucks? Certainly the introduction of the sub-rule destroyed the careers of the traditional 2nd ruckman - Hudson/Minson type tandems were rendered obsolete overnight. Perhaps there will be a slight correction back in favour of mobile ruckmen in the Cox mould? Interchange rotations are tipped to be capped at 100 next year with no subs - if they go to 80 or lower, then the ruck absolutely will need to have additional strings to their bow.
There will always be a place for no 1 rucks in the AFL, but no 2 ruck/forwards seem to be like gold. How may decent ones are there?
Tippett on $900k pa?
Ryder?
I thought Giles at the bombers could be a good one but he rarely plays.
Stefan Martin?
Ben Griffiths or Tyrone Vickery at the Tigers?
Dixon at the Suns when he's not injured?

It's a small list. Hale was good for a couple of years and Vardy at Geelong would be very good if he wasn't always injured.

bornadog
11-05-2015, 03:19 PM
There will always be a place for no 1 rucks in the AFL, but no 2 ruck/forwards seem to be like gold. How may decent ones are there?
Tippett on $900k pa?
Ryder?
I thought Giles at the bombers could be a good one but he rarely plays.
Stefan Martin?
Ben Griffiths or Tyrone Vickery at the Tigers?
Dixon at the Suns when he's not injured?

It's a small list. Hale was good for a couple of years and Vardy at Geelong would be very good if he wasn't always injured.

If the sub is dispensed with next year (which I believe it will be), do you re look at the 2nd ruck role, or stick with running players.

LostDoggy
11-05-2015, 03:42 PM
The whole "Sydney Game" exhaustion is no excuse for anything that occurred on saturday. You dont give up 55 points leads in the 3rd quarter even if you are tired. We had a 7 day break to their 6. Its no excuse. Yeah we were stuffed and that was obvious but its no excuse. Why were we so tired....l mean THAT tired. Gameplan? Sydney game? Youth? Combination of all 3??

Gameplan? Sydney game? Youth? Combination of all 3??

Yes, and injuries to key players leading up to and during the game. We simply couldn't chase and execute after half time.

Mofra
11-05-2015, 03:56 PM
If the sub is dispensed with next year (which I believe it will be), do you re look at the 2nd ruck role, or stick with running players.
Absolutely you look at ruck/forwards.
The days of a lumbering 2nd ruck spending 40% of gametime on the bench are over, even with 4 spots.

Happy Days
11-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Good question. Can we keep playing Ayce and play Campbell deep forward and then sub Ayce and throw Campbell into the ruck for the last quarter? Can we play Ayce and Campbell in the same team or are we just too big with Roberts, Talia, Roughie and Boyd also out there?

I really believe you can't account for the sub. You can have a design for it but no great level of contingency can be placed on it, it's a recipe for disaster.

Sidenote, how terrible is the sub rule?

bornadog
11-05-2015, 06:01 PM
I really believe you can't account for the sub. You can have a design for it but no great level of contingency can be placed on it, it's a recipe for disaster.

Hate the sub rule with a passion.

AFL are so pig headed that they won't remove it right now, despite all the pressure from clubs.

Greystache
11-05-2015, 06:15 PM

I'm not a fan of the sub rule, but I don't hate it as much as every losing coach in his press conference blaming being a rotation down for them losing (some are worse than other... Brad Scott). At least with the sub rule they have to lose 2 players before they blame rotations.

1eyedog
11-05-2015, 06:39 PM

Yes I see what you mean. It allows for zero flexibility doesn't it.

G-Mo77
11-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Hate the sub rule with a passion.

AFL are so pig headed that they won't remove it right now, despite all the pressure from clubs.

That's one thing we've agreed on over the years. That rule stinks!

The Bulldogs Bite
12-05-2015, 02:01 AM
It's the worst rule the AFL has ever employed - it helped turn myself - and many others - away from the product.

whythelongface
12-05-2015, 10:49 AM
1. Disappointed with the end result and that we didn't run out the game, however we are a young side and these fade outs will occur when we are tired and lacking in rotations. Thought the coaching staff could have looked at alternative strategies mid way through the third to try and stem the flow of the Saints. This was a learning experience for Bevo and his team as well

2. Always thought Picken was a solid player but he has certainly enjoyed the role given to him by the coaches allowing him more freedom. On form would be the first player to be picked.

3. A huge fan of Macrae but gee he was ordinary on the weekend with his disposals. Could well need a rest to work on hitting targets cleanly.

1eyedog
12-05-2015, 11:06 AM
1. In 3 years time we will have the best key forward and medium forward combination in the competition.

2. Jack Macrae needs to think more Dyson Heppell less Nick Dal Santo

3. Lachy Hunter needs to play within shot of goal otherwise he's a liability