PDA

View Full Version : Beveridge told to explain Minson comment

bornadog
25-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-25/bulldogs-coach-beveridge-handed-please-explain-letter-over-minson-comments)

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Images/375726-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has been sent a "please explain" letter from AFL Victoria following his call for Will Minson's report for making contact with an umpire to be thrown out.

Meanwhile, Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has also weighed in on the matter, telling Triple M on Monday: "I think I've pushed peas to the side of my plate harder than Will Minson did any pushing yesterday".

Minson was reported by three umpires – two field and one boundary – just before half-time during Footscray's massive VFL win over North Ballarat at the Whitten Oval on Sunday.

The 30-year-old ruckman was celebrating after kicking what he believed was a goal, when the field umpire told him it had been touched.

Minson then made contact with the umpire as he ran by, and was subsequently shown a red card and reported.

"It's disappointing. It's pretty laughable, really," Beveridge said after the Bulldogs' 39-point loss to Melbourne later on Sunday afternoon.

"It would stagger me if anything happened in regards to it.

"Something has gone drastically wrong if it's not thrown out straight away.

"Over the course of my career I patted umpires on the back, I talked to them with my hand on their shoulder and there's always a rapport between players and umpires and I think this one just took it the wrong way.

"As he went past, Will just touched him, really, as he went past. There's nothing in it so I'm not really sure why the reaction was what it was."

But an AFL Victoria spokesman confirmed to AFL.com.au the Tribunal hearing would go ahead at Ikon Park on Tuesday, where the three reporting umpires will give evidence.

And a "please explain" letter has been sent to Footscray general manager Ben Graham following Beveridge's comments.

Minson's report is the first for making contact with an umpire in the past seven years in the VFL, although cases of accidental contact have seen fines handed down in that time.

Minson's case will be heard by a three-member AFL Victoria Tribunal on Tuesday.

A suspension would come at the wrong time for Minson's stalled AFL career, after Beveridge praised his "terrific" performance prior to being sent off and said the ruckman would be in contention for a recall against Greater Western Sydney.

The 2013 All Australian has played the past four games in the VFL after being dropped following the Dogs' round three loss to Hawthorn.

Hotdog60
25-05-2015, 06:30 PM
Watched the video and it looked like nothing. The umpire must have a bee in his bonnet.

Maybe his been scared before by player connect.

It is a bit of a joke but Will will be made an example of.

westdog54
25-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Is he allowed to tell AFL Victoria to get ****ed in his reply?

G-Mo77
25-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Watched the video and it looked like nothing. The umpire must have a bee in his bonnet.

Maybe his been scared before by player connect.

It is a bit of a joke but Will will be made an example of.

I've said this before it probably depends on what Minson was saying at the time and what his demeanor was, if he was aggressive then he'll be rubbed out. The way the VFL have come out like this sounds like they will anyway.

Hotdog60
25-05-2015, 06:48 PM
I've said this before it probably depends on what Minson was saying at the time and what his demeanor was, if he was aggressive then he'll be rubbed out. The way the VFL have come out like this sounds like they will anyway.

It hard to judge from the armchair, if he verballed as well it won't go well.

SlimPickens
25-05-2015, 06:59 PM

As he lashed out, he shouted *!*!*!*! off loudly.

GVGjr
25-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Bevo shouldn't have made the comments and I can why he has been asked for a please explain.

As for Will, time already served plus one week is how I think it should play out.

Remi Moses
25-05-2015, 07:43 PM
So you punch someone in the gonads and get off, and yet a figernailon an umpire is a suspension ?
World's gone mad

azabob
25-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Bevo shouldn't have made the comments and I can why he has been asked for a please explain.

As for Will, time already served plus one week is how I think it should play out.

Do you think he should have perhaps said he thought there was nothing in it rather than going on and on or replied "no comment"?

Webby
25-05-2015, 07:59 PM
As he lashed out, he shouted *!*!*!*! off loudly.

Correct. I heard that and saw that, too. It was an angry, & aggressive reflex response. I know he's our boy, but he clearly did the wrong thing.

Having said that, I'm pleased that Beveridge and Gordon are publicly supporting their man. Just as Alex Ferguson did with Eric Cantona 20 years ago. Nonetheless, it doesn't change what happened. Will made a bad mistake and needs to take his medicine.

SlimPickens
25-05-2015, 08:05 PM
Correct. I heard that and saw that, too. It was an angry, & aggressive reflex response. I know he's our boy, but he clearly did the wrong thing.

Having said that, I'm pleased that Beveridge and Gordon are publicly supporting their man. Just as Alex Ferguson did with Eric Cantona 20 years ago. Nonetheless, it doesn't change what happened. Will made a bad mistake and needs to take his medicine.

I think the angle we both clearly saw it from, is far worse than what appears on the video.

GVGjr
25-05-2015, 08:08 PM
Do you think he should have perhaps said he thought there was nothing in it rather than going on and on or replied "no comment"?

"I didn't think there was much in it but we will argue that at the tribunal as is the process"

as opposed to

"It's disappointing. It's pretty laughable, really,"
"It would stagger me if anything happened in regards to it"
"Something has gone drastically wrong if it's not thrown out straight away"

Which do you think wouldn't challenge the tribunal? At the moment I think those comments could work against Will.

azabob
25-05-2015, 08:36 PM
"I didn't think there was much in it but we will argue that at the tribunal as is the process"

as opposed to

Which do you think wouldn't challenge the tribunal? At the moment I think those comments could work against Will.

I agree with you, but I get the impression this won't be the last time Beveridge will speak his mind and perhaps say too much.

Webby
25-05-2015, 08:41 PM
I think the angle we both clearly saw it from, is far worse than what appears on the video.

It clearly is. Interesting to note that there were two other cameras at the ground (one on Hawkins Wing) and only the members side footage has been released. I have a feeling that the members side footage paints Will in a much better light.

F'scary
25-05-2015, 09:03 PM
I wonder if Bevo's comments reveal a degree of guilt in his condemning the best ruckman to play in the two's week after week, while a poor shadow of an understudy gets mediocre game after mediocre game, culminating in a boilover incident for which Minson is now in the dock.

S Coast Simon
25-05-2015, 09:24 PM
If the AFL wants the general public to have any respect for the umpiring fraternity they should throw this out. Situations like this will only serve to inhance everyone's hatred of the umpires. They ended Curley's career with his suspension he never played the same again

SonofScray
25-05-2015, 10:31 PM
A message to AFL Victoria, I don't believe our coach stuttered. If you need an explanation of his comments you are as dumb an organisation as your parent and have confirmed to me the game is stuffed.

Twodogs
25-05-2015, 11:17 PM
A message to AFL Victoria, I don't believe our coach stuttered. If you need an explanation of his comments you are as dumb an organisation as your parent and have confirmed to me the game is stuffed.

I like that "did I stutter" statement. It leaves nobody in any doubt.

Throughandthrough
26-05-2015, 07:57 AM
My guess is he will get three weeks

soupman
26-05-2015, 08:15 AM
Surprised and disappointed by some of the comments on here. I know Minson is one of our own, but I'm not sure his actions are justifiable here.

He clearly doesn't just tap the umpire on the shoulder, the umpire is running past him so he's too quick for that. Based on multiple posters reports who actually witnessed it they both say it was forceful and followed by swearing so it was clearly out of frustration.

Comments like "the umpire is just trying to make a name for himself", "How can he get weeks for this and Fyfe get a fine for tripping", "the umpire must have been scared or something", or "so you can hit someone in the gonads and get off but if you lay a fingernail on an umpire it's a suspension" miss the key point. Hitting an umpire is completely different to hitting a player and is never ok.

I'd be surprised if they don't make a statement and rub him out for a few weeks, it is not a good look for the game and contrary to some others opinions needs to demonstrate that umpires are respected. Laying a fingernail on an umpire is and should be a suspension, with only very few exceptions. This is not one of them.

Unfortunately Will in this case has lived up to his "dumbest smart bloke" tag, and it's likely to cost him when he was finally in line to win back selection.

jeemak
26-05-2015, 08:41 AM
I wonder if Bevo's comments reveal a degree of guilt in his condemning the best ruckman to play in the two's week after week, while a poor shadow of an understudy gets mediocre game after mediocre game, culminating in a boilover incident for which Minson is now in the dock.

I wouldn't have thought so. AFL is a ruthless game and new coaches don't tend to have much emotion for players they've just begun to coach, especially when they aren't doing what is wanted of them.

Twodogs
26-05-2015, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't have thought so. AFL is a ruthless game and new coaches don't tend to have much emotion for players they've just begun to coach, especially when they aren't doing what is wanted of them.

Yep. The Wil playing in the seconds is just the price of doing business. Nothing personal, no one needs to feel bad about anything except losing games of football.

Ghost Dog
26-05-2015, 10:49 AM
Well, a rule is a rule. In Cricket, if you touch the ball, you are out. It's a clear cut rule. Everyone knows the rule in AFL and there isn't a gray area for it. Three weeks is pretty stiff but umpires cop a lot, they are hard to develop and recruit, - AFL is doing its best to protect them.Three weeks seems incredible compared to what other stuff get lets through, but it is what it is.

Twodogs
26-05-2015, 12:38 PM
Well, a rule is a rule. In Cricket, if you touch the ball, you are out. It's a clear cut rule. Everyone knows the rule in AFL and there isn't a gray area for it. Three weeks is pretty stiff but umpires cop a lot, they are hard to develop and recruit, - AFL is doing its best to protect them.Three weeks seems incredible compared to what other stuff get lets through, but it is what it is.

Unless you're Stuart Broad.

mjp
26-05-2015, 02:02 PM

as opposed to

But he isn't a VFL coach - so why can't he say whatever he likes? If Ash Hansen had spoken out, then I could understand him getting in trouble...but Bevo isn't coaching in a competition where the charge has been laid/is being assessed.

bornadog
26-05-2015, 02:34 PM
But he isn't a VFL coach - so why can't he say whatever he likes? If Ash Hansen had spoken out, then I could understand him getting in trouble...but Bevo isn't coaching in a competition where the charge has been laid/is being assessed.

In fact Ash was asked and he said he can't comment because he is a coach.

jeemak
26-05-2015, 03:18 PM
If Beveridge came out and potted junior league umpires he watched on a Sunday afternoon (assuming we weren't playing at 13:20) the AFL would send him a "please explain".

It's just what they do.

Sedat
26-05-2015, 03:33 PM
If Beveridge came out and potted junior league umpires he watched on a Sunday afternoon (assuming we weren't playing at 13:20) the AFL would send him a "please explain".

It's just what they do.
Issuing please explain letter is one of the few things they excel at.

Jeanette54
26-05-2015, 05:18 PM
I wasn't at the game, so I have only seen the (poor) video evidence.

As I see it this shows Will moving right to left, rather slowly and head down. The umpire then runs left to right, crossing at an angle to Wills path. In fact if Will had not of almost stopped the umpire might well have run into him.

He may not have seen or expected the umpire to run across his path, and the hand may have been an involuntary reaction.

In the interests of disclosure I am a Big Will fan, but IMO if that video is the only evidence then he should get off without suspension.

Twodogs
26-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Issuing please explain letter is one of the few things they excel at.

You'll probably get one now.

bornadog
26-05-2015, 05:29 PM
I wasn't at the game, so I have only seen the (poor) video evidence.

As I see it this shows Will moving right to left, rather slowly and head down. The umpire then runs left to right, crossing at an angle to Wills path. In fact if Will had not of almost stopped the umpire might well have run into him.

He may not have seen or expected the umpire to run across his path, and the hand may have been an involuntary reaction.

In the interests of disclosure I am a Big Will fan, but IMO if that video is the only evidence then he should get off without suspension.

There are also some other cameras at the game, so they will check those as well.

Greystache
26-05-2015, 05:47 PM
There are also some other cameras at the game, so they will check those as well.

Unless we've gone all Essendon and "misplaced" any potentially damaging evidence. The AFL have no issue accepting that defence.

LostDoggy
26-05-2015, 06:24 PM
I was at the game but didn't see it directly. I did, however, hear those around me claim that he swore and slapped an umpire, but again, that's really second-hand info. He came off with his tail very much between his legs.

If it's true, I've no problem with him getting weeks. You just can't touch an umpire, and as others have made the point, we can't just exonerate him because he's a Dog.

I guess we'll find out at 1800.

GVGjr
26-05-2015, 06:34 PM

Because I think it challenges the Tribunal and potentially removes any form of leniency Will might have been able to muster. You're right it's a different competition and he can ask those questions but he is still a Western Bulldogs player and he should be managed like one.

GVGjr
26-05-2015, 06:36 PM
I was at the game but didn't see it directly. I did, however, hear those around me claim that he swore and slapped an umpire, but again, that's really second-hand info. He came off with his tail very much between his legs.

If it's true, I've no problem with him getting weeks. You just can't touch an umpire, and as others have made the point, we can't just exonerate him because he's a Dog.

I guess we'll find out at 1800.

The evidence needs to be heard. From my vision it didn't look like much but I didn't hear what was potentially said beforehand.

Flamethrower
26-05-2015, 08:03 PM
Former umpire Derek Humphrey Smith just said on SEN that he would not have reported Will for the incident, and he thought a caution would have sufficed.

Derek wondered if there had been a directive at VFL umpire level to get tougher on any players making contact with umpires.

azabob
26-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Officially four weeks

bornadog
26-05-2015, 08:48 PM
Officially four weeks
Officially a joke

ratsmac
26-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Officially four weeks

Surely your taking the piss

azabob
26-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Surely your taking the piss

Dont call me Sherly, but no im not. Club is appealing though.

SlimPickens
26-05-2015, 09:15 PM
Officially four weeks

Seems about right.

comrade
26-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Seems about right.

You obviously saw something completely different to me. And I saw it clearly.

SlimPickens
26-05-2015, 09:56 PM
You obviously saw something completely different to me. And I saw it clearly.

I saw Will Minson forceabley push an umpire in the back whilst shouting *!*!*!*! off. What was your interpretation?

bornadog
26-05-2015, 11:17 PM
Seems about right.

Can't agree - punishment is a joke.

Remi Moses
27-05-2015, 01:27 AM
Surprised and disappointed by some of the comments on here. I know Minson is one of our own, but I'm not sure his actions are justifiable here.

He clearly doesn't just tap the umpire on the shoulder, the umpire is running past him so he's too quick for that. Based on multiple posters reports who actually witnessed it they both say it was forceful and followed by swearing so it was clearly out of frustration.

Comments like "the umpire is just trying to make a name for himself", "How can he get weeks for this and Fyfe get a fine for tripping", "the umpire must have been scared or something", or "so you can hit someone in the gonads and get off but if you lay a fingernail on an umpire it's a suspension" miss the key point. Hitting an umpire is completely different to hitting a player and is never ok.

I'd be surprised if they don't make a statement and rub him out for a few weeks, it is not a good look for the game and contrary to some others opinions needs to demonstrate that umpires are respected. Laying a fingernail on an umpire is and should be a suspension, with only very few exceptions. This is not one of them.

Unfortunately Will in this case has lived up to his "dumbest smart bloke" tag, and it's likely to cost him when he was finally in line to win back selection.

What doesn't attract umpires is the abuse sometimes physical they cop in the suburbs.
Added to that is the rediculous notion that you have to bounce the ball.
Wonder how many potential good officiating they've missed out on ? This is the only sport where an official needs a skill besides officiating . The whole sanction should have been a fine or at worst ,a one weeker.

Remi Moses
27-05-2015, 01:28 AM
I saw Will Minson forceabley push an umpire in the back whilst shouting *!*!*!*! off. What was your interpretation?

Where's the vision of that?
It would have been used

SlimPickens
27-05-2015, 07:50 AM
Where's the vision of that?
It would have been used

There was a camera directly behind me on the DH wing. It would have been used and I'd imagine it wouldn't of looked too good. I really don't understand the umpire bashing in this case. Will did the wrong thing, not the other way around.

LostDoggy
27-05-2015, 08:22 AM
There was a camera directly behind me on the DH wing. It would have been used and I'd imagine it wouldn't of looked too good. I really don't understand the umpire bashing in this case. Will did the wrong thing, not the other way around.

Probably goes a fair way to explaining the penalty. I thought it was harsh, as I said in the other thread but would be interested to see the tribunals reasoning as to how they arrived at that figure.

GVGjr
27-05-2015, 01:52 PM
The umpire did the right thing but I think the tribunal got a result that was on the high side. Did our comments contribute to that?

SlimPickens
27-05-2015, 02:11 PM
The umpire did the right thing but I think the tribunal got a result that was on the high side. Did our comments contribute to that?

I must admit I wasn't sure what the tribunal would come back with. To me what Will did was unacceptable, when comparing it to Moores case I actually think it was worse and a four week penalty seemed about right if comparing the two.

LostDoggy
27-05-2015, 04:38 PM
What would everyone think if Will hadn't slapped the umpires back, but rather collected him across the back of the head?

Topdog
27-05-2015, 06:15 PM
I must admit I wasn't sure what the tribunal would come back with. To me what Will did was unacceptable, when comparing it to Moores case I actually think it was worse and a four week penalty seemed about right if comparing the two.

The umpire rated the force as a 4/10. It sounds like you rated it higher?

SlimPickens
27-05-2015, 06:54 PM
The umpire rated the force as a 4/10. It sounds like you rated it higher?

The problem is Will put the umpire in a position where he had to "rate the force". Combined with what was said, it wasn't a good look. Don't forget the umpire was running away from Will.

GVGjr
27-05-2015, 06:56 PM

We have different perspectives to this. Moores seems a lot worse to me than Wills but I appreciate you had a far better spot to make your call on the day.

Remi Moses
27-05-2015, 08:01 PM

Why wasn't this shown on the various news services ?
On the vision we( the public) have been shown, it isn't worthy of a suspension .

SlimPickens
27-05-2015, 08:20 PM
Why wasn't this shown on the various news services ?
On the vision we( the public) have been shown, it isn't worthy of a suspension .

Depends who was filming it?

AndrewP6
27-05-2015, 09:43 PM
What would everyone think if Will hadn't slapped the umpires back, but rather collected him across the back of the head?

It would have been different circumstances. But it wasn't. He got screwed.

Ozza
28-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Based on Heath Shaw getting one week, when he was quite aggressive to an umpire and made contact, I was thinking that 2 weeks for Will would be appropriate. But they are different tribunals obviously, so the comparison is less relevant.

When you add up Will missing half a game already, plus 5 weeks suspension as a result of including the bye - its a huge hole in Will's season, and a very disappointing situation.