PDA

View Full Version : Malthouse Sacked - Do we entice him to WO as a mentor of some sorts?

bornadog
26-05-2015, 03:21 PM
A home coming of sorts, a father figure around the club, someone Bevo can bounce things off as long as he doesn't interfere and cost us much in dollars.

Thoughts?

bulldogtragic
26-05-2015, 03:26 PM
Bevo and he have coached together in a premiership coaching box. I'd have him for sure at the right price.

jeemak
26-05-2015, 03:27 PM
No.

I don't think his ego would allow him to play second fiddle at an AFL club.

He's had a great legacy in some ways, but in many other ways he's been a pill, and I don't want him to have anything to do with our club.

Sedat
26-05-2015, 03:28 PM
No thanks. He is a bitter and twisted curmudgeon these days. He left all 4 clubs on poor terms - left the sinking ship at the kennel, walked out of WC with a year still to run on his contract, and his ego got the better of him both at Collingwood and Carlton in his departure years. He is now far too self-involved to become a positive influence at any club IMO, and frankly the game has passed his coaching style by.

Bevo doesn't need someone like that looking over his shoulder.

Twodogs
26-05-2015, 03:29 PM
Interesting idea and its a role the club said earlier in the year they were keen to have in place. An experienced head to mentor the young coach.

My immediate reaction is not Malthouse mainly because I wouldn't trust him not to interfere in the day to day coaching to much. I guess it would depend on Malthouse's future a,bit ions too. I suspect he'd be well out of our pay grade anyway.

Sedat
26-05-2015, 03:29 PM
as long as he doesn't interfere and cost us much in dollars.

Thoughts?
He is universally known as being extremely, umm, careful with his money. He wouldn't come cheap.

bornadog
26-05-2015, 03:32 PM
His departing comments this morning on Trigg was interesting to say the least. He said Trigg told him Eddie Betts was enticed to Adelaide some 18 months before hand. (when Trigg was CEO there)

Betts manager denies it but AFL will investigate Trigg :D

Sedat
26-05-2015, 03:35 PM
His departing comments this morning on Trigg was interesting to say the least. He said Trigg told him Eddie Betts was enticed to Adelaide some 18 months before hand. (when Trigg was CEO there)

This is classic MM deflection. Carlton had the chance to match Adelaide's offer for Betts as a restricted free agent but they declined to do so, effectively letting Betts walk. He's a better deflector than Justin Langer in his prime.

Ghost Dog
26-05-2015, 03:43 PM
No. But welcome as a guest speaker. He did coach our team, and that's worthy of respect.

jeemak
26-05-2015, 03:44 PM
His latest turn-off for me was when he stated media attention paid to his coaching future was reducing his wife to tears. Seriously, what kind of self absorbed fruit loop would say such a thing?

If his wife was really under that much pressure, how could saying something in the media about it be the best course of action? Surely he needed to quit then and there, or she needed some help, because the nature of football reporting wasn't just going to change because of how the Malthouse family feels.

Bulldog4life
26-05-2015, 03:48 PM
No from me. Recently on the tv I saw a bio on Malthouse about his coaching career at Footscray, West Coast and Collingwood. He said despite his good times at Footscray he never felt decidedly comfortable at the place...or words closely to that effect. When asked why by the interviewer he couldn't explain exactly why but that was the way he felt. I was surprised.

Maddog37
26-05-2015, 04:08 PM
No thanks. Coaching director type roles dilute the authority of the head coach.

I would think he would make a good opposition analyst though.

Ghost Dog
26-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Is it good news for Dean Laidly or not?

The Doctor
26-05-2015, 04:55 PM
No from me. Recently on the tv I saw a bio on Malthouse about his coaching career at Footscray, West Coast and Collingwood. He said despite his good times at Footscray he never felt decidedly comfortable at the place...or words closely to that effect. When asked why by the interviewer he couldn't explain exactly why but that was the way he felt. I was surprised.

Probably the Hardie affair. I think he lost a lot of supporters over that matter.

bornadog
26-05-2015, 05:16 PM
Is it good news for Dean Laidly or not?

I believe John Barker is taking over

Sedat
26-05-2015, 05:26 PM
I believe John Barker is taking over
Correct weight - http://www.carltonfc.com.au/carlton/news/2015-05-26/statement-may-26

bornadog
26-05-2015, 05:54 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CF6bDI-UEAIfEoI.jpg

LostDoggy
26-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Absolutely not. When somebody shows you their true colours, believe them.

FrediKanoute
26-05-2015, 06:15 PM
Big no from me. The guy is a great coach, but he has now left acrimoniously from his last 2 coaching gigs. Its all about the cult of Mick not about the club. Its a pass for me.

LostDoggy
26-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Liam Jones takes another scalp?

Go_Dogs
26-05-2015, 07:08 PM
I'd interview him for a role at the club, but it would perhaps be more as a manager or analyst role rather than having any direct input into our day to day coaching.

He's been around the game a long time, worked with some great operators and has a lot of knowledge.

There are of course justified concerns based on how he's finished up at his last two jobs in recent times.

Go_Dogs
26-05-2015, 07:11 PM
Classy statement from Mick.

Remi Moses
26-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Probably the Hardie affair. I think he lost a lot of supporters over that matter.

No Hardie lost a lot of supporters. Tail shouldn't wag the dog

Remi Moses
26-05-2015, 07:25 PM
No thanks Mick's done

bulldogtragic
26-05-2015, 07:25 PM
If the main problem is Carlton players aren't very good, and not Mick, then he'd be a great free agent. He would have spent all off season studying opposition clubs, analysing game plans that could beat other teams and working out ways to win. Now he's not contracted he would have to be the best opposition strategist and analyst without an AFL controlling them. So if the club had a chat and thought his depth of understanding of opposition teams, and how to beat them, would be a strategic advantage then I'm in favour of a 14 game contract to tap into it.

Flamethrower
26-05-2015, 07:38 PM
When Luke Beveridge was appointed there was a lot of talk about the club appointing an experienced director of coaching.
If Michael Malthouse was prepared to leave his ego at the door he would be a fantastic acquisition for the club.

GVGjr
26-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Mick had his chance to walk away gracefully but chose the scorched earth approach. In so many areas he would be a great person to have at a club but right at this moment I wouldn't take him now.

Webby
26-05-2015, 08:34 PM
Funny, I had the same thought this afternoon. He might be available and he might be prepared to do it. It'd be quite nostalgic for us, boost the profile of the club, give Mick a vehicle to improve his image, help Beveridge with a retired sounding board-cum-mentor, provide some symmetry to Mick's career, bring some former greats back to the club etc.

It's 30 years to the day in September since Mick & co broke our 24 year finals win drought. That might be the time to invite him back to the club for a function of some sort, sound him out and get him onboard in a background capacity. He's done as a coach, but he could offer so much. Mick's very popular with his players and staff, so he must be a pretty good bloke. I think he's just tigerishly protective of his players and staff in the public domain. So that's the image we see externally. I don't think it's the real Mick.

I think that a few years in the public eye without that pressure and responsibility, Mick could change his public image & I think we could be the perfect bedfellow for that. It'd be a nice, nostalgic Union, but could more importantly, provide some significant benefit to WBFC.

Just via his rivalry with Sheedy and Eddie etc, it could really add some promotional spice to some of our games! It'd all depend on how Beveridge views it. Mick gave him his break into AFL coaching, so they've got a relationship. It's food for thought..

anfo27
26-05-2015, 09:57 PM

I can tell you that Eddie wanted to stay at the blues & loved Carlton. The contract that the blues actually offered Eddie was a large pay cut from the one he was just on. A lot of crap coming out of Carlton about this to try cover their arse when really they didn't want Eddie and didn't rate him. Now Eddie is playing great footy for the crows and its making them look like a bunch idiots.

bornadog
28-05-2015, 05:52 PM
I can tell you that Eddie wanted to stay at the blues & loved Carlton. The contract that the blues actually offered Eddie was a large pay cut from the one he was just on. A lot of crap coming out of Carlton about this to try cover their arse when really they didn't want Eddie and didn't rate him. Now Eddie is playing great footy for the crows and its making them look like a bunch idiots.

As expected

AFL has completed an examination of the circumstances of the recruitment of player Eddie Betts to the Adelaide Crows Football Club. The AFL is satisfied the Rules were adhered to

bulldogtragic
28-05-2015, 06:21 PM
As expected

Wow, a whole 24 hour investigation and result. The AFL investigators must be excellent to do this..... if theyd take a pay cut the Homicide Squad should recruit them...

They're not even trying to appear competent in managing investigations or management of alleged infractions.

comrade
28-05-2015, 08:57 PM
Wow, a whole 24 hour investigation and result. The AFL investigators must be excellent to do this..... if theyd take a pay cut the Homicide Squad should recruit them...

They're not even trying to appear competent in managing investigations or management of alleged infractions.

I love a good AFL bashing, but I think this is more along the lines of a bloke saying something untrue in the heat of the moment, and that same bloke admitting he's full of ****, so the 'investigation' has been deemed unnecessary.

bornadog
28-05-2015, 09:01 PM
I love a good AFL bashing, but I think this is more along the lines of a bloke saying something untrue in the heat of the moment, and that same bloke admitting he's full of ****, so the 'investigation' has been deemed unnecessary.

Personally I think it was true but hard top prove. I don't belkieve Malthouse is a liar.

Trigg is not exactly squeaky clean - refer Tippet incident and subsequent ban.

jeemak
28-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Personally I think it was true but hard top prove. I don't belkieve Malthouse is a liar.

Trigg is not exactly squeaky clean - refer Tippet incident and subsequent ban.

What about that time he swore black and blue he didn't call Milne a rapist?

Maddog37
28-05-2015, 09:42 PM
If you believe it enough then its not a lie!

bornadog
29-05-2015, 12:02 AM
What about that time he swore black and blue he didn't call Milne a rapist?

True Jeemak you are right there.

merantau
01-06-2015, 09:24 PM
I would not like to see MM back at the Club in any official capacity. He would be a distraction and I'm sure his ego would not allow him to stay low key.

LostDoggy
01-06-2015, 10:44 PM

They asked to see the Betts contract, somebody sent it to them. The date on the contract was ridgey-didge. Nothing to see here.