PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 9

Eastdog
28-05-2015, 09:55 PM
This is the round 9 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against GWS Giants is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
30-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Bump

LostDoggy
30-05-2015, 08:42 PM
B
- Easton Wood's intercept marking
- Mitch Wallis 36 touches
- Matty Boyd tackling

A
- Our kicking for goal

westbulldog
30-05-2015, 08:44 PM
B
Welcome back Will !
The entire backline.
The relentless tackling, Wallis and Dalhaus especially.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-05-2015, 09:09 PM
Bankers
1. I think the Roughy & Will ruck tandem might be our most flexible ruck set up.Both did a job on Mummy which was pivotal to our performance today.
2. Our defense tonight, in particular Wood, Hamling and Roberts, did very well as a unit.
3. Easton Wood can aspire to All Australian honours if his dorm holds. He is both a great spoil, mark and his run is making him a counter threat.

Anchors
1. Our goalkicking hasn't been good for a while and it will cost us if we can't address it.
2. We still are too risk averse when marking 60 to 70 from goal. We stop and prop when our forwards are one on one, but then will kick it long only after the opposition has gotten numbers back.
3. We played a cumulative of 3 good quarters of football tonight and the remainder was not up to it. We allow teams to get on top for bursts and let in multiple, quick goals.

boydogs
30-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Bankers
Mitch Wallis came to play - dominated the midfield, dangerous up forward, made sure Griffen had one to forget
Pressure was back, we denied them the corridor and locked it in our forward line
No passengers - Biggs not subbed on until 5 minutes into the last, and then it was only to rest Bonts

Anchors
Kicking for goal, 8.16 after the 1st quarter. That will cost us in tighter games
Koby Stevens winding up for handballs, leads to throws when tackled
Not playing this 22 a month ago

boydogs
30-05-2015, 09:27 PM
3. We played a cumulative of 3 good quarters of football tonight and the remainder was not up to it. We allow teams to get on top for bursts and let in multiple, quick goals.

I think there are always going to be shifts of momentum and energy levels during a game, the McCartneyism that we had to eliminate our lapses was a bit of a cover for not being able to hit the scoreboard when we were on top.

GWS kicked the first 2 of the 2nd half but we were able to regain control after that

Greystache
30-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Bankers

Wood- Close to the best game of his career. He looked line Brian Lake at his peak, he was a wall GWS couldn't get past.

Wallis- Real leader's game today. 4 quarter effort, intense pressure, good impact from his touches.

Roberts- I really liked his game. Took some good marks, used the ball well, and defended smartly.

Anchors

Poor goal kicking- Missed some easy chances. It holds Dahhaus back from being elite.

Giving up multiple goals in quick succession. We Need to stop allowing teams to get on a roll.

Eastdog
30-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Bankers

Dickson - Great match today and lively up forward

Roughy - Was very good in the ruck today

T Boyd - Thought he took some good marks inside 50

Wood as well

Its great when you can name more than 3 bankers :)

Anchors

Our kicking at goal

Our lapses at times when we let them back in a bit.

SlimPickens
30-05-2015, 10:55 PM
Banker-

Picken- going straight at Griffen before the first bounce set the tone for the day. Loved it.

Wood- I didn't realise he could play this well.

Roughead- liked his ruck work and ability to mark the ball around the ground.

Anchor-
Missing goals

No others, I loved beating that plastic club.

always right
30-05-2015, 11:18 PM
Easton Wood just played his finest match.
Roughead jumped all over Mummy on a number of occasions. I like this ruck set up.
Our backline were fantastic tonight.

Like what Grant brings to the team but his kicking for goal will cost him his place ultimately.
Liked Stevens game but he slowed our momentum on several occasions.
Really struggling to find a third anchor.

AndrewP6
30-05-2015, 11:24 PM
B
Woody - superb to watch.
Dahl - Just keeps at it.
Wally - great effort.

Well done to JJ, Boyd Sr for the most part, Hamling, Boyd Jr.
A
Collective one for the misses, they're costly and we have had the issue too long.
Couple of kicks directly to GWS players.

Can't think of anything else. Great problem to have!

SonofScray
30-05-2015, 11:26 PM
Bankers:
Wood - playing extremely well in defence. Aerial dominance, assured at ground level, working hard.
Roberts - took really strong marks, turned them away plenty of times.
Wallis - Man of the Match.

Anchors:
Spindleshank's goal kicking. Could have showered himself in glory out of nowhere but didn't cash in on his chances :(
Griff - hope it struck you today just how much you stuffed it. Dead to me. Have purged my hatred, now you are irrelevant.
Greene - idiot.

LostDoggy
30-05-2015, 11:30 PM
B:

Mitch Wallis walking the walk. The romance lives on in blokes like Wal. At one point in the third the strain on his face told the story of the night: this game meant a lot to him.
Wood, Hammer and Fletcher can share a Banker. Great effort by all. JJ included.
Never thought I'd say this, but Ray Chamberlain's best umpiring I've ever seen.

A:
The crowd. Those who were there, loud and proud, but only 16000 turn out for a game like this?
Cheer squad banner (struggling for anchors).

LostDoggy
30-05-2015, 11:32 PM
Bankers:
Wood - playing extremely well in defence. Aerial dominance, assured at ground level, working hard.
Roberts - took really strong marks, turned them away plenty of times.
Wallis - Man of the Match.

Anchors:
Spindleshank's goal kicking. Could have showered himself in glory out of nowhere but didn't cash in on his chances :(
Griff - hope it struck you today just how much you stuffed it. Dead to me. Have purged my hatred, now you are irrelevant.
Greene - idiot.

I said the exact same thing: I feel purged. Got it off my chest, ddint even mind his junk time goal in the end.

G-Mo77
31-05-2015, 12:46 AM
Bankers:

The Backline. Is this the same backline I bit my nails about all offseason? To perform like this without a guy like Morris there is just incredible. The fact that Talia was dropped (who has been quite good) and Roughy played sparingly down there we still managed to keep them at bay. Wood is a rock down there now. JJ's run and carry gets better every week. Nice work guys!

Wallis. Best game I've seen him play at this club.

Dahlhaus. He's gone up another level this season.

Anchors.

Goal kicking. Some of those are easy guys. 25 - 30 out shouldn't be missed so often. Got to clean that up.

Tom Boyd getting held almost every contest. Overall I wasn't upset by umpiring but he's got to be looked after a little more.

LostDoggy
31-05-2015, 12:59 AM
B Whole team. Everyone played their part.

A None - gonna enjoy this win

jeemak
31-05-2015, 01:01 AM
B:

Wallis - The fact that he brought clever use together with his usual staunch defencively minded work really pleased me. Not many slouches get 37 touches whilst ensuring both sides of a game is played

Wood - Having a medium sized, quick and strong defender who can pluck the ball from the sky and run offensively is a dream come true. Outstanding get for Clayton as a smokey in 2007, I wonder if we'd have seen more of this if he didn't get injured so often in his first few seasons. He just dominated the game in the air today, it was great to watch

Dahl - It's getting harder and harder to concentrate on his goal kicking and use it as an excuse not to absolutely love him. Today he competed in the air harder than anyone on the ground at times, and he just worked himself to buggery

A:

Me for being late to the game and arriving at the 20 minute mark of the first

ratsmac
31-05-2015, 01:21 AM
Bankers

Wood - we haven't had a backman with such sure hands since Lake. He is in all Australian form.
JJ - his run of the backline is a pleasure to watch. He has his confidence back.
Roughead - gee he's a good footballer. He plays whatever role the coaches ask and does a fine job at it. He may be the ruckman to take over from Minson.

Anchors

Griffen - just cos.
Goal kicking - we are lucky we got a decent break on them in the first otherwise it could of cost us a win. Against a better team it would have.
Jarrad Grant - for still having no muscles. I honestly can't think of a 3rd anchor.

jeemak
31-05-2015, 01:25 AM
Bankers

Wood - we haven't had a backman with such sure hands since Lake. He is in all Australian form.
JJ - his run of the backline is a pleasure to watch. He has his confidence back.
Roughead - gee he's a good footballer. He plays whatever role the coaches ask and does a fine job at it. He may be the ruckman to take over from Minson.

Anchors

Griffen - just cos.
Goal kicking - we are lucky we got a decent break on them in the first otherwise it could of cost us a win. Against a better team it would have.
Jarrad Grant - for still having no muscles. I honestly can't think of a 3rd anchor.

Remember they kicked eight straight before finally kicking a behind. 33 to 13 in scoring shots told the tale of the game really well, we rolled them comprehensively.

bornadog
31-05-2015, 01:26 AM
Love reading all the contributions and agree with all. Mine will be a little different

Bankers

1. Koby's hard running to get to a pass from TBoyd then kick a ripper banana goal

2. Dahl's goals in the first quarter.

3. Woods intercept marking, just brilliant

Anchors

Griffen, a shadow of his former self - pretty pathetic really. Has put on weight and doesn't work hard enough - good riddance

kruder
31-05-2015, 01:29 AM
Banker

Its all about Matty Boyd for me tonight. It might have been the best game his ever played. We have all given it to him over the years with his poor defensive efforts but he was a bloody animal tonight. Ruthless. That defensive tackle in the third when they were coming.......wow! Its his best season IMO at the club and I'm just loving him in the backline this year.

Banker

The Fringe Festival.

Wood and Stevens have been fringe favs of mine for awhile but add JJ, Dickson, Wallis, Picken and Jong(I'm dying to add Grant to this List, hopefully in the coming weeks :))and we have a group of fringe players no more! They are best 22 now kudos to them and lets hope we can add Hamling, Talia and Roberts to that list as the Roughead/Minson ruck combo was dominate.

Banker

T.Boyd is worth every cent. When he gets a little stronger look out! You can't underestimate his ability to create a contesting and at least bring the ball to the from of the pack. Love having his big frame in the side and the fact we get to watch him for the next seven years!

SlimPickens
31-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Love reading all the contributions and agree with all. Mine will be a little different

Bankers

1. Koby's hard running to get to a pass from TBoyd then kick a ripper banana goal

Outstanding work rate and goal from the Chris Grant pocket!!

ratsmac
31-05-2015, 09:34 AM
Remember they kicked eight straight before finally kicking a behind. 33 to 13 in scoring shots told the tale of the game really well, we rolled them comprehensively.
I was actually thinking of this same thing as writing this and should of reworded my anchor. We absolutely smashed them. They should be flattered with the end score. Had we kicked straight and they missed a few, we would of won by 100 points today.

F'scary
31-05-2015, 01:38 PM
I am going to go for the road less traveled too:

Bankers:

Nat "the rat" Hrovat - he is playing a role where he is coming on and off the ground a lot (sort of the third interchange player). I liked the way he was able to come on and immediately get right into the congested areas and work hard at the coalface.

Hamlet - great debut, looked like he is physically up to playing on forwards around 195cm and 94kgs. Good leap and spoiling technique. He also gets back on his feet very quickly too when he goes to ground and doesn't mind scrambling on his hands and knees when that is what is required.

Fletch - like Hamlet, seems to have enough to be a KPB and looks like there is plenty of upside in his game to come.

Anchors:

The obvious this time:

Kicking for goal from set shots. Tom Boyd, Grant, Dickson and others missed gimmes.

Our midfield when it comes to centre bounce clearances. We are just not getting as many quality clearances as we should be and seem to be finding ways to fluff advantageous moments.

Kicking out from behinds. Why aren't Murphy and JJ doing what they did so well in the first couple of matches - the little kick to oneself and the penetrating run that breaks the defensive zone? I'm not sure either even took a kick in last night.

bulldogtragic
31-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Bankers:

Our off season recruiting: Webb, Dale, Hamling, Biggs debuted already.
The Gryphon Trade: We will win this trade.
Whole of team performance.

Anchors:

Inaccuracy: Should've 100 point pantsed them.
Bonts Abductor muscle: Might have him sit out.
Don't really have one... So... Recruitment and trades of the past: imagine Mundy (Koops), Darling (Sherman) and Fyfe (Howard) in the side. I'm happy we seem to be getting it spot on now.

GVGjr
31-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Bankers

- The players still believe they can win even when there area couple of critical outs.
- That Mitch Wallis pass in the forward line.
- That JJ mark up forward. Came from out of nowhere

Anchors

- Set shot conversions, most weeks I try not to raise this but I do hope we are working on it.
- Umpires who can't bounce the ball in the stadium with the best conditions.
- Those buns men are wearing on their heads, I don't get it.

Scorlibo
31-05-2015, 02:57 PM

That was sensational. Ran his guts out to provide that option and then to finish it off how he did, probably the individual play of the year so far.

Bankers

Wally - his body on body tenacity is outstanding. That play in the third quarter where we were outnumbered in our forward line but he managed to win the ball on the boundary and hook it back onto the chest of Dickson, just superb. On exposed form this year, he's gone to a new level, can't wait to see him alongside his buddy Libba next year.

Wood - gets to more aerial contests than any other player I can think of. If there's a high ball and the drop is within 30 metres of where he is, he'll get there. An incredible athlete, but he's now so much more, he's elite at the moment.

Roughy & Minno - the former has shown an ability to compete in ruck duels that we'd forgotten he had and the latter has a newfound hunger to impact the game up forward through sheer WILL and bustle. Both gave us great competitiveness at ground level. Encore!

Anchors

Interpretation of holding the ball - how many times do players get prior opportunity, fail to kick or handball, but not get pinged for holding the ball? Umps are more concerned with paying holding the ball for the in vogue forms of the rule, such as the 360 degree tackle (who gives a stuff how many degrees they've turned if they get a handball away in the end?) Keep it simple.

Set shots for goal off 2-3 steps - Dahlhaus, Roughy, Dickson and others, there are no excuses for not taking the proper run up. Very few players have the balance to kick powerfully and accurately without getting up to at least a canter.

I'll have to take yours too jeemak, spewing!

soupman
31-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Kicking out from behinds. Why aren't Murphy and JJ doing what they did so well in the first couple of matches - the little kick to oneself and the penetrating run that breaks the defensive zone? I'm not sure either even took a kick in last night.

To be fair they were starved of opportunities to do this yesterday.

Scorlibo
31-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Just watching the replay back now, will need to add another anchor - the commentators!

Apparently, despite kicking 11.4 so far this season, Tom Boyd has a major problem with his kicking for goal, and the Matty Boyd off half back experiment hasn't worked for us!

F'scary
31-05-2015, 04:25 PM
To be fair they were starved of opportunities to do this yesterday.

My embarrasing bad! :D I had in mind the past few weeks.

whythelongface
31-05-2015, 04:29 PM
Just watching the replay back now, will need to add another anchor - the commentators!

Apparently, despite kicking 11.4 so far this season, Tom Boyd has a major problem with his kicking for goal, and the Matty Boyd off half back experiment hasn't worked for us!

That was Shaw but to be fair one of the commentators (can't remember who) did mention the move had been positive and that his passing accuracy had improved significantly due to having more time to dispose of it.

jeemak
31-05-2015, 04:48 PM

In light of being late to the game I decided to watch the first 20 minutes, and picked up the same pieces of commentary and had to laugh. If I was so unaccountable to reality at work I'd get pulled up for it.

These guys can say what they like, and nobody bats an eyelid.

bornadog
31-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Outstanding work rate and goal from the Chris Grant pocket!!

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-05-30/stevens-with-a-superb-curler

EasternWest
31-05-2015, 05:19 PM

Let's not forget Jesse Stringer was a late out for us also.

bornadog
31-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Let's not forget Jesse Stringer was a late out for us also.

Did someone seriously say that. My god they are pathetic.

Eastdog
31-05-2015, 05:24 PM
Tom Boyd getting held almost every contest. Overall I wasn't upset by umpiring but he's got to be looked after a little more.

I thought he did ok and he took some good marks and kicked some goals. I even put him in one of my bankers. He'll get there and from what Ive seen this year his going to be quality. I think his kicked over 10 goals this year now.

Remi Moses
31-05-2015, 05:54 PM
Bankers- The team effort and intensity. Apart for about 10 minutes it was outstanding .
Boyd - dermie made a good point about all the play in front of him, so he's lack of pace in getting caught doesn't eventuate.
Great poise as well
Picken - reinvented himself as a player
Wallis - stood up in the absence of his mate
Minson- just monsterd Mummy. Arguably his best game for two years
Dahl- would be right up there for b+f
The back 6 were terrific for such an inexperienced lot
Anchors - the goal kicking. This was an 80 pt win
The crowd - should have been more than that.

SlimPickens
31-05-2015, 06:54 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-05-30/stevens-with-a-superb-curler

They showed it on one of the footy shows this morning. Very complimentary of the work rate.

EasternWest
31-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Did someone seriously say that. My god they are pathetic.

Yeah Dermot Brereton said it when he was interviewing Tom Boyd before the game.

lemmon
31-05-2015, 10:30 PM
Finally got a chance to sit and watch the game, what an enjoyable experience

Bankers:
-Roughy- I've been one of his biggest critics I think, didn't believe he deserved the vice captaincy and barely a spot in the side on performance last year but that was probably the best I've seen him play. The stats don't show it but he was a real warrior in the ruck, ditto Minson. That's the pairing moving forward for mine

-Wood- He's blossomed into something we'd hoped but probably never expected. Not much else more to say really.

-Wallis- Think he'll have a few kids wearing the number 3 on his own merits. His work in traffic is very much 'goes where angels fear to tread' type stuff. It's a trait in a fair few of our kids mind you

Anchors-
-Goal kicking obviously
-Griff didn't cop more

LostDoggy
01-06-2015, 01:25 AM
W
Finally got a chance to sit and watch the game, what an enjoyable experience

Bankers:
-Roughy- I've been one of his biggest critics I think, didn't believe he deserved the vice captaincy and barely a spot in the side on performance last year but that was probably the best I've seen him play. The stats don't show it but he was a real warrior in the ruck, ditto Minson. That's the pairing moving forward for mine

-Wood- He's blossomed into something we'd hoped but probably never expected. Not much else more to say really.

-Wallis- Think he'll have a few kids wearing the number 3 on his own merits. His work in traffic is very much 'goes where angels fear to tread' type stuff. It's a trait in a fair few of our kids mind you

Anchors-
-Goal kicking obviously
-Griff didn't cop more
what more were you hoping for?

Happy Days
01-06-2015, 02:03 AM
Bankers

Wood is the clubhouse leader for any non key position defensive spot in the All Australian Team. He's a rolled gold gun now and the last gift of Scott Clayton

Mini Boyd is going okay for a player that hasn't worked on the back flank for the last month

Wallis - best game ever, well done bloke

Anchors

Whoever compared poor Jake to that piece of human garbage Jesse Stringer

Griffen and Ward for pissing off

Inefficiency - we should be in the 8 on percentage this week and we aren't

lemmon
01-06-2015, 03:31 AM
W

Was hoping for a Minson crunching tackle at some stage, Griff probably didn't have enough of the footy for that to be possible

FrediKanoute
01-06-2015, 03:56 AM
I thought he did ok and he took some good marks and kicked some goals. I even put him in one of my bankers. He'll get there and from what Ive seen this year his going to be quality. I think his kicked over 10 goals this year now.

Completely agree. The guys is in year 2 of his AFL career. What impresses me most is that he gets to contests and more often than not brings the ball to ground. He straightens us up and gives is u a target. If he kicks 25 goals this season I will be happy.

SonofScray
01-06-2015, 09:31 AM
W

Cleaned up, hard. Physical trauma.