PDA

View Full Version : Indigenous Round 2015

bornadog
29-05-2015, 10:55 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFlqxkRUIAApe4F.jpg

The Western Bulldogs Indigenous Guernsey has been designed by Indigenous artist Anzack Newman who was approached by Western Bulldogs to design the Guernsey in 2014.

The Guernsey’s design incorporates a host of indigenous art styles, including those of the Coastal, Torres Strait Island and Desert people, and also features the names of all 19 indigenous players that have represented the Club in senior VFL/AFL competition.

Most significantly, the artwork detailed in the Guernsey design tells the story of how every individual has their own journey to playing, and being involved with, the game of Australian Rules football, and how the game has many Indigenous people with their life journey.

Looking closely at the Guernsey design, the dots and triangle line work are representative of the artistic style of the Desert people, while the black triangle and semi-circle line work are indicative of the artistic style of the Torres Strait Island and Coastal people.

bornadog
29-05-2015, 10:57 AM
Great to see Hamling make his AFL debut during indigenous round. Hamling and Stevens must be proud to represent the dogs. Bad luck for Goodes to not be playing.

Axe Man
29-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Strange that Hamling is among the 19 names on the guernsey. How on earth did they know he would debut by this round, assuming that the design would have to have been finalised some time ago?

Anyway I thought I would put together a Bulldogs indigenous team made up of the 19 players listed on the jumper. Hamling is a welcome inclusion as there is not surprisingly a lack of height available.

B Harbrow Hamling Goodes
HB McLean Koops Faulkner
C Stewart West Stack
HF Winmar Jones Hill
F Bamblett Thorpe Krakouer
Fol Skinner Stevens Djerkura
I/C Lynch

EasternWest
29-05-2015, 02:14 PM
I like it.

Ozza
29-05-2015, 03:07 PM
Strange that Hamling is among the 19 names on the guernsey. How on earth did they know he would debut by this round, assuming that the design would have to have been finalised some time ago?

Anyway I thought I would put together a Bulldogs indigenous team made up of the 19 players listed on the jumper. Hamling is a welcome inclusion as there is not surprisingly a lack of height available.

B Harbrow Hamling Goodes
HB McLean Koops Faulkner
C Stewart West Stack
HF Winmar Jones Hill
F Bamblett Thorpe Krakouer
Fol Skinner Stevens Djerkura
I/C Lynch

Winmar and Bamblett probably the best couple of players here. We probably haven't had a star indigenous players that some of the other clubs have been fortunate enough to recruit.

Good work putting it together Axe Man....as you say, pretty light on for key position players.

bornadog
29-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Winmar and Bamblett probably the best couple of players here. We probably haven't had a star indigenous players that some of the other clubs have been fortunate enough to recruit.

Good work putting it together Axe Man....as you say, pretty light on for key position players.

Magic McClean was a great player and probably the most skilled in Axeman's team, and I loved Bamblett - what a year he had in 1985

Sedat
29-05-2015, 03:35 PM
I love how McLeod did his best work off the HBF, so Axe Man has put 'Next McLeod' on the HBF also :D

Axe Man
29-05-2015, 04:18 PM
I love how McLeod did his best work off the HBF, so Axe Man has put 'Next McLeod' on the HBF also :D

Haha - was the last spot filled. I had Lynch and Faulkner left and had to flip a coin to see who got to warm the bench.

Ozza
29-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Magic McClean was a great player and probably the most skilled in Axeman's team, and I loved Bamblett - what a year he had in 1985

Good point....I mistakenly glossed over Magic.

bornadog
29-05-2015, 06:59 PM
Great Photo

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGJ-NnmWQAE1jsM.jpg:large

Read about the visit here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-05-29/martu-men-make-kennel-visit)

Doc26
29-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Great Photo

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGJ-NnmWQAE1jsM.jpg:large

Read about the visit here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-05-29/martu-men-make-kennel-visit)

Loved this story.

As a Club we really are reaching beyond our walls to engage community.
If leading men's health initiatives in the west isn't enough, now it's supporting indigenous leadership in the Pilbarra.
Magnificent ventures.

Also, came across this 'non sporting' category story just posted up on The Age which talks to our Club's wonderful involvement this week with these Martu leaders.

Read the article here (http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/the-long-road-to-leadership-and-jobs-in-remote-communities-20150529-ghayv0.html)

Roscoe_G
29-05-2015, 10:21 PM
All

Anyone just witness Adam Goodes' "war dance" at the SCG tonight? On first view, I thought it looked harmless enough, but on further viewings, am a little unnerved and perturbed by its overtly adversarial nature. I have no doubt this will predominate tomorrow's sporting dialogue.

Any opinions?

Roscoe

G-Mo77
29-05-2015, 10:38 PM
It's indigenous Round and I don't think he would have have done it if it were any other round. A guy got thrown out so there is more to the story than responding to booing.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2015, 10:39 PM
All

Anyone just witness Adam Goodes' "war dance" at the SCG tonight? On first view, I thought it looked harmless enough, but on further viewings, am a little unnerved and perturbed by its overtly adversarial nature. I have no doubt this will predominate tomorrow's sporting dialogue.

Any opinions?

Roscoe

I want to hear some more, but the fox footy commentary at half time was an interesting dialogue.

jeemak
29-05-2015, 10:41 PM
I look forward to a lot of white males giving their perspective on what constitutes discriminatory behaviour, in the coming days.

They'll get to the bottom of it.

GVGjr
29-05-2015, 11:21 PM
I wonder what the trigger was for it? Was it out of character for Goodes?
It reminded me of the Haka.

jeemak
30-05-2015, 12:24 AM
So apparently some young folk did some cultural stuff with Sydney in line with Indigenous Round and it involved war dances etc. and Goodes was honouring that.

He was pressed on whether it involved anything to do with the crowd reaction to him, he said it didn't.

I'm really staggered over how polarising Goodes is as a player and person. I definitely think he's wearing a lot of backlash for being awarded the Australian of the Year a few years ago. There's elements of the public that didn't think he deserved it and think he leveraged it to push an agenda. Whether that's a racism issue or a personality issue I'm not sure.

bornadog
30-05-2015, 12:25 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/cqstatic/ghczoy/m6432.gif

Remi Moses
30-05-2015, 12:52 AM
So apparently some young folk did some cultural stuff with Sydney in line with Indigenous Round and it involved war dances etc. and Goodes was honouring that.

He was pressed on whether it involved anything to do with the crowd reaction to him, he said it didn't.

I'm really staggered over how polarising Goodes is as a player and person. I definitely think he's wearing a lot of backlash for being awarded the Australian of the Year a few years ago. There's elements of the public that didn't think he deserved it and think he leveraged it to push an agenda. Whether that's a racism issue or a personality issue I'm not sure.

I don't get the whole backlash on Goodes being awarded Australian of the year!
It was okay for Steve Waugh to be named and others such as Ita Buttrose, whom were nominated for their work outside their profession . Goodes was nominated for his work with the indigenous community, obviously .
The whole diving excuse is just that , an excuse. One of our own dived often, as have others who are not booed.
The calling out of his racial accuser is another reason I hear, but isn't it a positive for a young impressionable person to be educated of their wrong ways ? My opinion is Adam has hit on a sore point of Australian history and folks don't like hearing it.
A black man with an opinion should know his place

jeemak
30-05-2015, 01:11 AM
It's the conversation the country desperately needs to have, but is resisting totally.

The AFL has a serious problem on its hands. It's trying to push an image of tolerance and inclusiveness, at a time where the commercial market it operates within has a serious lean towards nationalism and in some ways racism. On the opening night of its Indigenous Round its star ambassador, Australian of the Year and most high profile indigenous player is being booed for reasons according to some, revolve around being indigenous!

How does AFL House deal with this? All of their paper over cracks management and celebration of indigenous talent probably hasn't been the answer for some time, but now the public has actually moved beyond the pleasantries of indulging some self-serving marketing of the issue with the end result being what we've seen these past two weeks.

Since the Collingwood game and the subsequent Eddie McGuire fiasco, it actually seems as if the tolerance towards this type of thing from the public has relaxed a little bit. Sure, the odd person gets kicked out of the crowd for saying discriminatory things about homosexuals, or Asians, Aboriginals etc., but that hardly represents a job well done when you have massive sections of crowds booing an indigenous footballer two weeks in a row for reasons many see as racially motivated.

I'm glad I'm just a transport nuff nuff and we don't have to deal with these issues...........

hujsh
30-05-2015, 02:04 AM
I remember the consensus at my former club, after Goodes had the girl ejected for a racial slur, being that he was a sook. This opinion being held mostly by white men who'd know a thing or two about discrimination.:rolleyes:

Throughandthrough
30-05-2015, 09:24 AM
I really rate Goodes as a person and as a footballer.

SonofScray
30-05-2015, 09:53 AM
I applaud Goodes for using his profile to stimulate discussion. I loved the war dance, on a few levels, it was a rare representation of culture in day to day Australian life, it was demonstrative and novel, something we see very little of in a clinically managed, safe, world. It by design is meant to incite, which I think is a fair point of criticism though.

I used to boo him because I hated his diving and appealing for frees in combination with what I saw as a free run with dirty play. The booing he is getting has gone beyond that, so I have stopped. I don't want to participate in anything that I feel is racist.

chef
30-05-2015, 09:53 AM

From the man himself

“I was just a little bit inspired by the under-16 Boomerang kids, who taught us a little bit of a war cry, just a little bit of a tribute to those guys,” Goodes said.

1eyedog
30-05-2015, 11:26 AM
All

Any opinions?

Roscoe

A combination of pride, disappointment and passion I think. It is obviously really affecting him. In a perfect world he would be immune to the insults of fans but he is very passionate about his culture and I understand why he did it.

I honestly don't think it started out as a racist boo, but I'm sure now it has incorporated racist elements. I think it started from his propensity to dive and stage which is probably the only blight on his distinguished career.

1eyedog
30-05-2015, 11:29 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdhrUKRdKM8

bornadog
30-05-2015, 11:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdhrUKRdKM8

Great stuff, I love a bit of culture.

1eyedog
30-05-2015, 11:35 AM
I don't get the whole backlash on Goodes being awarded Australian of the year!
It was okay for Steve Waugh to be named and others such as Ita Buttrose, whom were nominated for their work outside their profession . Goodes was nominated for his work with the indigenous community, obviously .
The whole diving excuse is just that , an excuse. One of our own dived often, as have others who are not booed.
The calling out of his racial accuser is another reason I hear, but isn't it a positive for a young impressionable person to be educated of their wrong ways ? My opinion is Adam has hit on a sore point of Australian history and folks don't like hearing it.
A black man with an opinion should know his place

Thanks Remi. As a person who has Aboriginal origins I and many of my friends who display far more physical Aboriginal traits than I think that your opinion is fairly spot on. We are still dealing with racism on a daily basis and it is a vestige of the White Australia policy and that older baby boomer generation. While this has filtered down generations kids are more open-minded now and are challenging the stereotypical ideologies of their parents.

1eyedog
30-05-2015, 11:41 AM
From the man himself

“I was just a little bit inspired by the under-16 Boomerang kids, who taught us a little bit of a war cry, just a little bit of a tribute to those guys,” Goodes said.

The dance was straight at a large section of the Carlton crowd who were booing.

His answer is the one that doesn't cause provocation. I actually wished he'd given us the real answer to stimulate a debate about racism in sport. Indigenous round seemed like a good medium for this, surprised he didn't actually given how outspoken he is.

Looking forward to going straight from the game today to dream time at the G.

Sedat
30-05-2015, 12:02 PM
We've become such a whiny, entitled, ignorant and self-absorbed nation, and the manifestation of this in the AFL is that crowds will continue to boo Goodes loudly because they hate being told to do (or not to do) anything.

Goodes' war dance yesterday was passionate and provocative but that was the whole point. It is indigenous round and he marked the occasion with something unique to his people. The only question I have is would he have done it if the match was in the balance and against a better opponent.

Roscoe_G
30-05-2015, 12:02 PM
All,

Enjoying the thread and the excellent and well considered posts on the Goodes dance.

For me, one question now lingers ..... what would Michael Long have been thinking when it happened (assuming he was watching live), and what is he thinking now in the aftermath?

Has it the potential to divert from the Indigenous Round, or perhaps paradoxically, enhance it?

1eyedog
30-05-2015, 12:25 PM
All,

Enjoying the thread and the excellent and well considered posts on the Goodes dance.

For me, one question now lingers ..... what would Michael Long have been thinking when it happened (assuming he was watching live), and what is he thinking now in the aftermath?

Has it the potential to divert from the Indigenous Round, or perhaps paradoxically, enhance it?

Longy would have been proud. Goodes is a strategic individual - he did it for all Aboriginal people. I think the action was enough and hit the target audience. I can only surmise that Goodes suspected that to elaborate on it post-match would have detracted from the bigger picture.

Dancin' Douggy
30-05-2015, 01:21 PM
I think it would have been great if he taught the whole team the war dance and they did it together.
No one would be complaining about that, and Goodes wouldn't be singled out.

I agree with the general mood that it's ridiculous having these endless discussions, held by white males about what is and isn't racist behaviour. I generally dismiss most things robbo says and writes, but I think he wrote about it pretty well today.

If I was a swans player, I'd say 'Goodsy; teach us all the dance and we'll all do it together next week"

Man, I would LOVE to see that.

GVGjr
30-05-2015, 01:21 PM
We've become such a whiny, entitled, ignorant and self-absorbed nation, and the manifestation of this in the AFL is that crowds will continue to boo Goodes loudly because they hate being told to do (or not to do) anything.

Goodes' war dance yesterday was passionate and provocative but that was the whole point. It is indigenous round and he marked the occasion with something unique to his people. The only question I have is would he have done it if the match was in the balance and against a better opponent.

I respect Goodes but what was the catalyst for a war dance directed to the fans? It's typically directed towards the opposition before a battle not during. Having it performed before the game is the more appropriate time time especially as it is the Indigenous round. I think it would be a great pre game addition for future Indigenous rounds.

Happy Days
30-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Thanks Remi. As a person who has Aboriginal origins I and many of my friends who display far more physical Aboriginal traits than I think that your opinion is fairly spot on. We are still dealing with racism on a daily basis and it is a vestige of the White Australia policy and that older baby boomer generation. While this has filtered down generations kids are more open-minded now and are challenging the stereotypical ideologies of their parents.

100%

That Goodes used his Australian of the Year platform to table a discussion on race relations held up a big mirror to the "I'm not racist but" crowd, hence the reaction we are seeing.

The justifications for the booing are just the best btw. I actually heard a guy say opposition supporters boo Goodes because "the defensive side of his game is poor". If an opposition player's defensive game is poor I'm going to be cheering him on!

Roscoe_G
30-05-2015, 01:35 PM
Agree with GVGjr,

A pre-game performance would have been more appropriate, assuming it was for entertainment and/or educational purposes. However, my inkling is that was not intended in that form.

To quote from Robb's article today:

"I liked the dance. I liked the passion. I liked his courage. And then he got back to footy.

Still, five seconds of passion will no doubt come at a cost."

100% agree!! It is the "cost" that is perhaps to be determined.

GVGjr
30-05-2015, 01:36 PM
From the man himself

As I have previously mentioned, it's a war dance and that wasn't directed towards the opposition before the battle.

jeemak
30-05-2015, 01:50 PM
I for one am glad it wasn't stage managed before the game.

Roscoe_G
30-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Is this potentially a Nicky Winmar moment?

jeemak
30-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Double post......sorry.

jeemak
30-05-2015, 02:01 PM
Is this potentially a Nicky Winmar moment?

I think the Winmar moment was the most definitive protest (I can recall), people wanted him strung up for that.

chef
30-05-2015, 02:03 PM
As I have previously mentioned, it's a war dance and that wasn't directed towards the opposition before the battle.

A war dance aimed at morons abusing him. I'm cool with that.

Goodesy has been fighting this battle all his life.

Roscoe_G
30-05-2015, 02:14 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-match-report/adam-goodes-celebration-the-centre-of-debate-as-swans-prove-too-strong-for-carlton-20150529-ghczi4.html​

Poll: Was Adam Goodes' goal celebration appropriate?Yes43%
No52%
Other5%
Total votes: 929.

Poll closes in 17 hours.
Disclaimer:
These polls are not scientific and reflect the opinion only of visitors who have chosen to participate.

GVGjr
30-05-2015, 02:14 PM
A war dance aimed at morons abusing him. I'm cool with that.

Goodesy has been fighting this battle all his life.

Has that been established as correct and the reason he directed it towards the fans? You quoted the Boomerangs as the catalyst.

chef
30-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Has that been established as correct and the reason he directed it towards the fans? You quoted the Boomerangs as the catalyst.

I really dont care either way Gary, i quoted what Adam actually said others have said he aimed it at the crowd and if he did im cool with that . I'm sure theres a bit of both TBH.

I don't see why people are getting so worked up about why he did, he obviously felt the need and it look fantastic. Adam is not some tool who lucky enough to be good at football, he a very classy 'citizen' and someone who's going to be involved in the he public eye (politics perhaps) for a very long time.

bornadog
30-05-2015, 02:25 PM
Agree with GVGjr,

A pre-game performance would have been more appropriate, assuming it was for entertainment and/or educational purposes. However, my inkling is that was not intended in that form.

To quote from Robb's article today:

"I liked the dance. I liked the passion. I liked his courage. And then he got back to footy.

Still, five seconds of passion will no doubt come at a cost."

100% agree!! It is the "cost" that is perhaps to be determined.

I am sorry I fail to see why you even care why Goodes did what he did. To me it was a celebration of kicking a goal during indigenous round. Didn't hurt anyone? Didn't abuse any one. Dare I say, it was not a big deal.

Is the AFL so sanitized now that a player has to be a robot for the whole game.

Roscoe_G
30-05-2015, 02:26 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-match-report/adam-goodes-celebration-the-centre-of-debate-as-swans-prove-too-strong-for-carlton-20150529-ghczi4.html

Goodes said in an on-field interview straight after the game his celebration was about his pride in his heritage and not a reaction to any heckling or taunts from within the crowd.

"Not at all mate," he said. "It's Indigenous round. I'm proud to represent."

GVGjr
30-05-2015, 02:41 PM
I really dont care either way Gary, i quoted what Adam actually said others have said he aimed it at the crowd and if he did im cool with that . I'm sure theres a bit of both TBH.

I don't see why people are getting so worked up about why he did, he obviously felt the need and it look fantastic. Adam is not some tool who lucky enough to be good at football, he a very classy 'citizen' and someone who's going to be involved in the he public eye (politics perhaps) for a very long time.

Who's getting worked up?
I'd like to know why a war dance was directed towards fans and there is varying reasons and views being given. If the crowd deserved it then someone needs to say so.

I do believe the more appropriate time is before the game especially given it's an Indigenous round. If there is another reason for the display then I'd like to hear what the trigger was.

Adam Goodes is a sensational ambassador for the game but I still can't work out what the trigger was. I'd like to know if there was more to it than just his version of a snake Bakers double thumbs up to the fans.

Roscoe_G
30-05-2015, 02:46 PM
" ... snake Bakers double thumbs up to the fans."

Come on GVGjnr, Snake Baker must be appropriately capitalised! Snake Baker .... an incredibly fond reminiscence!

GVGjr
30-05-2015, 02:47 PM
I am sorry I fail to see why you even care why Goodes did what he did. To me it was a celebration of kicking a goal during indigenous round. Didn't hurt anyone? Didn't abuse any one. Dare I say, it was not a big deal.

Is the AFL so sanitized now that a player has to be a robot for the whole game.

BAD, you are doling out the old cliches without offering an explanation. If it was a celebration of a goal why did it need to be a war dance directed towards the fans not the opposition team? I'm just wanting to know if it was it triggered by the crowds behaviour?
I enjoy the haka and it's a great part or Rugby Union and I would certainly embrace a similar display in Indigenous rounds.

By the way, if it's not a big deal why have every media outlet been discussing it?

bornadog
30-05-2015, 02:51 PM
By the way, if it's not a big deal why have every media outlet been discussing it?

Because they have nothing better to do with their stupid little lives. Any deviation from the norm and bang, lets make a headline.

chef
30-05-2015, 03:02 PM
Because they have nothing better to do with their stupid little lives. Any deviation from the norm and bang, lets make a headline.
Hamish mclachlin was trying as hard as he could to make a mountain of this molehill last night

chef
30-05-2015, 03:16 PM
Who's getting worked up?
I'd like to know why a war dance was directed towards fans and there is varying reasons and views being given. If the crowd deserved it then someone needs to say so.

I do believe the more appropriate time is before the game especially given it's an Indigenous round. If there is another reason for the display then I'd like to hear what the trigger was.

Adam Goodes is a sensational ambassador for the game but I still can't work out what the trigger was. I'd like to know if there was more to it than just his version of a snake Bakers double thumbs up to the fans.
Fair enough mate. I don't feel the need of an explanation myself, but im happy with what Adam did give last night anyway .

Maddog37
30-05-2015, 03:19 PM
I'm not a Goddes fan as a footballer for the same reasons Revolt annoys me but I loved that last night and thought it was a perfect moment that only enhanced Indigenous round.

Hopefully it will be replayed for years to come and that young indigenous kids grow up wanting be like Adam Or Brett Goodes who both seem like outstanding people.

1eyedog
30-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Who's getting worked up?

I'm interested to know why you are so determined to get to the bottom of it. I would think it was done due to a cumulative set of circumstances that erupted on Indigenous round. He's been booed for weeks and weeks and the elephant in the room is that many people think the booing has racial overtones.

soupman
30-05-2015, 03:50 PM
I for one am glad it wasn't stage managed before the game.

Same here.

I really liked it. It looked cool. And part of its appeal was it was spontaneous and in the moment.

If it was put on as a feature before the game, or the whole team did it it would be lame and manufactured. The Haka is cool, but thats because it means something to their countries identity and is a real battle cry. I can't think of anything more cringeworthy than a team of players pretending some choreography means anything to them.

GVGjr
30-05-2015, 03:51 PM
I'm interested to know why you are so determined to get to the bottom of it. I would think it was done due to a cumulative set of circumstances that erupted on Indigenous round. He's been booed for weeks and weeks and the elephant in the room is that many people think the booing has racial overtones.
Great question, the reasons given by Goodes dont match the actions. If it's a culmination of a number of things and especially the point you have speculated then I think more will be gained if that is brought to light. We must face racial overtones full on if that was the catalyst.

bornadog
30-05-2015, 03:55 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGJjUfkWEAAo0KL.jpg:large

SlimPickens
30-05-2015, 03:55 PM
Enjoying watching Port chase tail in 25 degree heat.