PDA

View Full Version : How Essendon lost the chance to draft Marcus Bontempelli

BulldogBelle
02-06-2015, 03:53 PM
MARCUS Bontempelli may long haunt Essendon.

When the AFL dished out its supplement penalties, it cost James Hird a year out of the game, slapped the club with the biggest fine in league history and sapped the spirit of 34 past and present payers for two and a half years.

But what has been overlooked is the draft sanctions, which not only stripped the club of three top 40 picks but also struck a devastating blow to their premiership chances.

After starting this season at 4-5, the Bombers appear to be at a crossroad.

They have the third-oldest list in the competition and face defining tests of their finals aspirations against Geelong and West Coast before the bye.

Big man Tom Bellchambers is ranked 27th for average rankings points (of all ruckmen) by Champion Data and Essendon has fallen away badly at the stoppages this year, following the departure of Paddy Ryder.

They are ranked 17th for total stoppage wins.

The Bombers had a plan to draft Marcus Bontempelli, who ultimately went to the Bulldogs.

The Bombers had a plan to draft Marcus Bontempelli, who ultimately went to the Bulldogs.
It’s a shocking figure for a midfield boasting Jobe Watson, Dyson Heppell and Brendon Goddard.

The midfield conundrum is why it hurts the Bombers to see second-year dynamo and clearance king Bontempelli star.

In late 2013, the Bombers had a little-known plan to nab the young superstar midfielder.

Before the AFL penalties were announced on August 27, 2013, the Bombers were talking with the Western Bulldogs on a deal for goalkicker Stewart Crameri.

At the time, Essendon was lined up to have pick No.11 and was prepared to package it and goalkicker Crameri in exchange for the Dogs’ pick No.4.

The Bombers planned to trade Stewart Crameri and pick 11 in exchange for pick 4 to secure

The Bombers planned to trade Stewart Crameri and pick 11 in exchange for pick 4 to secure Marcus Bontempelli. Source: News Corp Australia
With it, the Bombers would have taken 193cm Bontempelli, who they were believed to rate the best player in the 2013 draft.

Essendon believed ex-Western Bulldogs’ coach Brendan McCartney was interested, even if others at the kennel were not.

But when the AFL took away pick No.11, as well as three other selections, the Bombers hopes of securing the swap – and the Scott Pendlebury clone - were lost.

The draft sanctions also cost Essendon pick No.31 (West Coast livewire Malcolm Karpany) in 2013 and pick No.12 (slick Richmond left-footer Corey Ellis) and pick No.30 (Collingwood defender Brayden Maynard) in last year’s draft, although they got pick No. 20 (Jayden Laverde) back.

Without those selections, the Bombers had to go for some mature talent in the past two years to provide some cover.

They will hope the return from injury of senior trio Heath Hocking, David Myers and Jason Winderlich can add to the side in the second half of the season.

But, the Bombers will have to go back to the draft table this year, keeping hold of their top picks. They must find the next Bontempelli.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/how-essendon-lost-the-chance-to-draft-marcus-bontempelli/story-e6frf3e3-1227378513876

Sedat
02-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Sucked in cheating turds.

bornadog
02-06-2015, 04:13 PM
:D:D:D

http://openhighschoolcourses.org/file.php/102/pictures/short_stories/The_laughing_man.jpg

FrediKanoute
02-06-2015, 04:33 PM
Scary - B-Mac would have done the deal......Crameri is good, but the Bont is elite potential

Twodogs
02-06-2015, 04:35 PM
Sucked in cheating turds.

And sucked in hard.

1eyedog
02-06-2015, 05:20 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahh ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

KT31
02-06-2015, 05:34 PM
And then to top it off we picked up Crameri with pick 26.:D:D:D
So glad Essendon lost their picks otherwise it would have been a real crap trade.

BulldogBelle
02-06-2015, 05:57 PM
Scary - B-Mac would have done the deal......Crameri is good, but the Bont is elite potential

The way l read it is that was the deal essendon wanted and they BELIEVED BMac was interested.
We will probably never know if BMac would have done the deal. l hope not!

bornadog
02-06-2015, 06:02 PM
The way l read it is that was the deal essendon wanted and they BELIEVED BMac was interested.
We will probably never know if BMac would have done the deal. l hope not!

Bevo on the radio (774 last Saturday), was asked about the Bont. He said last year when he was with the Hawks, a group of assistants were sitting around discussing, if they had a chance to nab one player who would they choose. He said some said Nic Nat, Fyfe etc but he said Bont. :)

ratsmac
02-06-2015, 06:04 PM
I doubt we would of released our first pick as easy as the article makes it sound. We knew Crameri wanted to come to us so we were holding the aces.

If it hurts Essendon more that they think they were a chance then I'll go along with it.

Bulldog Joe
02-06-2015, 06:36 PM
I doubt we would of released our first pick as easy as the article makes it sound. We knew Crameri wanted to come to us so we were holding the aces.

If it hurts Essendon more that they think they were a chance then I'll go along with it.

I think we should actually respond and say that we were seriously considering it. It will just help them feel more pain they can attribute to their messiah.

Remi Moses
02-06-2015, 07:40 PM
The only thing I'd have been worried about was McCartney having form for poor trades( thankfully most fell through, by good luck than good management ) B. McCartney that is .

The bulldog tragician
02-06-2015, 08:06 PM
It warms the cockles of my heart to read this. Not only do WE have The Bont. But it's almost as sweet to know that as a result of their arrogant 'whatever it takes' sins, The Bombres don't!

Twodogs
02-06-2015, 08:14 PM
But the AFL sanctions might have saved us from ourselves though. It doesn't say in the article explicitly what our reaction was. Just some innuendo that Essendon believed something.

azabob
02-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Bevo on the radio (774 last Saturday), was asked about the Bont. He said last year when he was with the Hawks, a group of assistants were sitting around discussing, if they had a chance to nab one player who would they choose. He said some said Nic Nat, Fyfe etc but he said Bont. :)

Are you sure? I think he said Fyfe.

jeemak
02-06-2015, 08:29 PM
I question the timing of this article, alongside a number of pieces throughout the first half of this week that don't cut to the core of the problems directly affecting EFC at the moment.

They are a middle of the road team, that is at the older end of the age spectrum because they have been poorly coached and because they managed their list poorly in the years leading up to 2012. What sort of material impact do they really think the draftees they weren't able to select in the the last two or three years would be having now?

If I was to be cynical I'd suggest this is another deflection from HS writers away from the issue at hand which is; their current coach and golden boy is only moderately good at what he does from a coaching perspective, and that he's screwed the club for now and for the coming years.

What a sob story.

The Underdog
02-06-2015, 08:36 PM

That's what I heard too. Don't recall Bont being mentioned. I actually got the impression it was a few years ago before Fyfe was FYFE.
By the by, it was a cracking interview with Bevo. The comments about the effect of Clay's injury on the group in the St Kilda game and how he could have managed it better were illuminating.

Webby
02-06-2015, 09:05 PM
"The club had a plan to draft Marcus Bontempelli"

- Seems a long bow to me! We drafted Bont with pick 4 in 2013... Essendon were stripped of pick 9 were they not??

Who else did the have a 'plan' to pick? Tom Boyd??

Beat up!... Nonetheless, I hope they suffer in their jocks. I've been making the observation of late that Carlton are the new Richmond... I look forward to seeing Essendon becoming the new Carlton!

jeemak
02-06-2015, 09:08 PM
"The club had a plan to draft Marcus Bontempelli"

- Seems a long bow to me! We drafted Bont with pick 4 in 2013... Essendon were stripped of pick 9 were they not??

Who else did the have a 'plan' to pick? Tom Boyd??

Beat up!... Nonetheless, I hope they suffer in their jocks. I've been making the observation of late that Carlton are the new Richmond... I look forward to seeing Essendon becoming the new Carlton!

Webster, the article states pick nine was going to be used with Crameri to secure our pick four.

I don't blame you for not taking notice of HUN detail..........there's usually a distinct lack of it!

Greystache
02-06-2015, 09:13 PM
I question the timing of this article, alongside a number of pieces throughout the first half of this week that don't cut to the core of the problems directly affecting EFC at the moment.

They are a middle of the road team, that is at the older end of the age spectrum because they have been poorly coached and because they managed their list poorly in the years leading up to 2012. What sort of material impact do they really think the draftees they weren't able to select in the the last two or three years would be having now?

If I was to be cynical I'd suggest this is another deflection from HS writers away from the issue at hand which is; their current coach and golden boy is only moderately good at what he does from a coaching perspective, and that he's screwed the club for now and for the coming years.

What a sob story.

Exactly right. They lost a first and second round pick 2 years ago and lost a second round pick last year and had their first pick bumped down a few places. To suggest two 19 year olds, and an 18 year old picked in the 30's, would be making them more competitive is about relevant to where they're at as whether Demetriou tipped off Essendon about an imminent drugs investigation. It's a pimple on the arse of the actual issue.

The Essendon gazette is just embarrassing. It's not just the journalists that are embarrassing themselves, but the chief editor should be fired for continually allowing this drivel to go to print.

comrade
02-06-2015, 09:23 PM
Exactly right. They lost a first and second round pick 2 years ago and lost a second round pick last year and had their first pick bumped down a few places. To suggest two 19 year olds, and an 18 year old picked in the 30's, would be making them more competitive is about relevant to where they're at as whether Demetriou tipped off Essendon about an imminent drugs investigation. It's a pimple on the arse of the actual issue.

The Essendon gazette is just embarrassing. It's not just the journalists that are embarrassing themselves, but the chief editor should be fired for continually allowing this drivel to go to print.

Imagine the outrage when we take Carlisle!

Webby
02-06-2015, 09:26 PM
the article states pick nine was going to be used with Crameri to secure our pick four.

I don't blame you for not taking notice of HUN detail..........there's usually a distinct lack of it!

Still seems a long bow. Particularly two years on. The club would be mad to trade pick 4 for 9 + Crameri. Admittedly I only skimmed the article, but it all seems too convenient a segue into a sob story. I think recruiters are pretty selective in revisiting history with t20 hindsight when recalling which of their 50+ schemes they'd have hatched!

Webby
02-06-2015, 09:29 PM
Imagine the outrage when we take Carlisle!

Interesting you say that..! Dog mad family. Dog mad Jake as a kid!
It'd be nice having two Jakes up forward - or maybe back!!

comrade
02-06-2015, 09:36 PM
Interesting you say that..! Dog mad family. Dog mad Jake as a kid!
It'd be nice having two Jakes up forward - or maybe back!!

One back, one forward = one flag :D

jeemak
02-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Still seems a long bow. Particularly two years on. The club would be mad to trade pick 4 for 9 + Crameri. Admittedly I only skimmed the article, but it all seems too convenient a segue into a sob story. I think recruiters are pretty selective in revisiting history with t20 hindsight when recalling which of their 50+ schemes they'd have hatched!

Mate, don't disagree. It's a classic case of revisionism to suit a current narrative certain types within the media want to push.

Bulldog Joe
02-06-2015, 09:53 PM

What a sob story.

It is a beautiful sob story.

LET THEM CRY!!!!

boydogs
02-06-2015, 09:58 PM
So instead of Bonts & Crameri, we would have had Dom Sheed (11), Crameri & Zac Merrett (26)

Bonts is a special talent, but that wouldn't have been too bad

Maddog37
02-06-2015, 10:03 PM
I had a magical plan to marry Jen Hawkins after wooing her with my charismatic persona and devilish good looks but then I woke up.

comrade
02-06-2015, 10:16 PM
So instead of Bonts & Crameri, we would have had Dom Sheed (11), Crameri & Zac Merrett (26)

Not bad but Bont & Crameri is better.

comrade
02-06-2015, 10:17 PM
I had a magical plan to marry Jen Hawkins after wooing her with my charismatic persona and devilish good looks but then I woke up.

"How Maddog37 lost the chance to marry Jen Hawkins"

Happy Days
02-06-2015, 10:30 PM

It would be if we had to watch Bont play for the Bombers and wish we had him!

Twodogs
02-06-2015, 11:39 PM

You should keep a note pad and pencil next to the bed.

G-Mo77
03-06-2015, 01:45 AM
I was fuming when I read this pile of garbage. Another story how the masterminds at Essendon could have, should have. Essendon believe that McCartney was interested? Of course they bloody did! The lowly Dogs will bow down to the great Bombers and give it all to them. They're delusional!

Hey Jay Clark you probably stop in here from time to time to get some info for your pathetic articles in that piss poor excuse for a newspaper. How about writing something more about how successful we've been hitting the draft over the last few years? Simon Dalrymple is the man behind it all, maybe he should get some recognition once in a while.

I'm giving myself a pat on the back for not using the F word in this post because I bit an Essendon's supporters head off for carrying on about this and how unlucky they are. I hate that club more than anything I can possibly imagine.

Twodogs
03-06-2015, 03:43 AM
Well said G-mo. You did well not saying *!*!*!*!.

Ozza
03-06-2015, 09:50 AM

Yeah - he definitely said Fyfe. Bonts name only came up when Bevo was talking about the type of attributes of Fyfe's that Bont could add to his game. By the sounds of it, the conversation happened before Bont was in the league.

bornadog
03-06-2015, 10:29 AM

Yeah, sorry I miss heard that.

Bulldog Revolution
03-06-2015, 10:48 AM
What a rubbish article - IMO absolute garbage to think we were trading pick 4 for Crameri

Dancin' Douggy
03-06-2015, 10:55 AM
What a load of bunk.
My favourite part of the whole thing, is the man who cost them all those picks is still senior coach. It's nuts.

Mofra
03-06-2015, 11:00 AM
But one of those 19 year olds is the Bont - he'd make any team competitive. He's copping a tag as a 19 year old! :cool:

westdog54
03-06-2015, 01:12 PM
The funniest part of this whole thing is the Essendon supporters on Facebook who actually believe they're better off with Zac Merrett than Bonti.

Webby
10-06-2015, 11:49 PM
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jake-carlisle-not-happy-playing-forward-and-western-bulldogs-are-circling/story-fni5f6kv-1227392023890

comrade
11-06-2015, 12:28 AM
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jake-carlisle-not-happy-playing-forward-and-western-bulldogs-are-circling/story-fni5f6kv-1227392023890

I just want him now so all my Essendon mates melt.

jeemak
11-06-2015, 12:49 AM
I'm beginning to think the Geelong 2007 premiership was brought about by talent first and foremost, rather than intellectual forethought:

Cameron Mooney said in his Geelong Advertiser column this week that Carlisle had the “sooks” and was suffering from horrible body language.

Poor old Jake, crippled by body language and the "sooks". I can imagine one of those home renovation charity shows going around to Jake's house in a warm and heartfelt effort to help him deal with his sooks and paralysing body language. Jake's quote would be, "thanks for fixing my bathroom and installing an outdoor woodfired pizza oven, I'm sure to forget about my sooks and poor body language now, even though they are the major aspects of my professional career that are holding me back".

OK, I've indulged myself enough.

Twodogs
11-06-2015, 05:01 AM
Is the wood fired pizza oven in the new bathroom? If I could just ask this one indulgence.

jeemak
11-06-2015, 11:42 AM
Is the wood fired pizza oven in the new bathroom? If I could just ask this one indulgence.

Who am I to get in the way of dreams. The bathroom can of course be outside with a pizza oven as its main feature.

Daughter of the West
11-06-2015, 01:24 PM
I just really like the thought of us "circling". I have mental pictures of bulldogs running circles round Carlisle to the theme of Jaws.

KT31
11-06-2015, 01:41 PM
Would love if we extended the circle around Heppell as well.

azabob
11-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Would love if we extended the circle around Heppell as well.

Heppell is an out and out gun. He seems like such a level headed guy looking from the outside in.

Webby
11-06-2015, 02:04 PM
Heppell is an out and out gun. He seems like such a level headed guy looking from the outside in.

Heppell is a life long Essendon nut & Hird worshipper. He's drunk the Kool Aid all his life. I heard a story that Essendon got him at pick 8 or 9 or whatever as a slider after Hirdy had visited his home... Word was that a rumour of a chronic groin or knee injury existed with Heppell soon after that visit. It was a rumour that was checked by other clubs and not denied by the Heppell camp...

Crux of it was, the club he supported as a boy picked him up on the cheap.... that's how rusted on he is.

And he was rewarded like a lab rat!

KT31
11-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Heppell is a life long Essendon nut & Hird worshipper. He's drunk the Kool Aid all his life. I heard a story that Essendon got him at pick 8 or 9 or whatever as a slider after Hirdy had visited his home... Word was that a rumour of a chronic groin or knee injury existed with Heppell soon after that visit. It was a rumour that was checked by other clubs and not denied by the Heppell camp...

Crux of it was, the club he supported as a boy picked him up on the cheap.... that's how rusted on he is.

And he was rewarded like a lab rat!

Come on Webby that's a bit rich, I couldn't see Hird or anyone at Essendon being that unscrupulous.;)

Twodogs
11-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Come on Webby that's a bit rich, I couldn't see Hird or anyone at Essendon being that unscrupulous.;)

They still reckon they threw that 1924 Champion's of Victoria game against us. That's a pretty dodgy history.

ledge
12-06-2015, 06:58 PM
A little note .. Happened to be talking to a truck driver at work about footy, asked who he barracked for , he replied Essendon and the dogs. , I replied why Essendon and he said my son plays for them .. His son is jake Carlisle .. He went on to say he isn't happy a lot not right at Essendon and not just the WADA thing.. A WHOLE lot isn't right and a lot of inside stuff, wouldn't elaborate but obviously it's deep.

Bulldog4life
12-06-2015, 07:08 PM
A little note .. Happened to be talking to a truck driver at work about footy, asked who he barracked for , he replied Essendon and the dogs. , I replied why Essendon and he said my son plays for them .. His son is jake Carlisle .. He went on to say he isn't happy a lot not right at Essendon and not just the WADA thing.. A WHOLE lot isn't right and a lot of inside stuff, wouldn't elaborate but obviously it's deep.

You can do a little recruiting for us now Ledge. I thought his family were Bulldog supporters. Good conversation piece.

hujsh
12-06-2015, 07:45 PM

I think that helps alleviate the concerns that he's a sook who only wants to play in his preferred position

FrediKanoute
12-06-2015, 11:05 PM
If he leaves Essendon then the propaganda machine will call him a sook. If he stays he will be the next reincarnation of Jesus Christ

jeemak
13-06-2015, 01:18 AM
If he leaves Essendon then the propaganda machine will call him a sook. If he stays he will be the next reincarnation of Jesus Christ

It's funny how it works on that front, and I think this is the problem facing the EFC players right now.

Others have called it a cult like mentality and I kind of agree. The pressure on Crameri prior to when he left was out of control from what I've heard, to the point where a physical confrontation was brought upon him by certain senior players. That's not the behaviour of a healthy and professional environment.

Twodogs
13-06-2015, 01:56 AM
It's funny how it works on that front, and I think this is the problem facing the EFC players right now.

Others have called it a cult like mentality and I kind of agree. The pressure on Crameri prior to when he left was out of control from what I've heard, to the point where a physical confrontation was brought upon him by certain senior players. That's not the behaviour of a healthy and professional environment.

He also had a lot of pressure put on not to break ranks and make deal with ASADA I read in a couple of articles.

jeemak
13-06-2015, 02:02 AM
He also had a lot of pressure put on not to break ranks and make deal with ASADA I read in a couple of articles.

Which he didn't do, and that was probably a reasonable move at the time.

Remi Moses
13-06-2015, 02:30 AM
Thought it was a bit deeper than the wanting to play back stuff
I think he's gone, and the rogue supplement injectors will portray him as a sook

Remi Moses
13-06-2015, 02:33 AM

I'd heard similar in that they were going to disclose some condition Stewie has, and really f*** him up .
What a pack of campaigners they are