PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Dixon and Jack Martin

GVGjr
03-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Dixon and Martin have been suspended by Gold Coast for drinking the night before their game.
The club had made it clear to the playing group that there was a ban of drinking for 3 games and Dixon and Martin ignored it.

Is this a good stance by the club?

From my point of view, it's been touted that Dixon will receive a massive contract offer from the Lions and I would have thought most players would do what they could to make sure they actually get that offer.

Gold Coast have just one win so far this year and it appears a few of the players aren't focused on improving that record,

Maddog37
03-06-2015, 07:41 PM
Club culture is more important than individual player contracts at the end of the day.

jeemak
03-06-2015, 07:41 PM
Read Sam Lane's article on the matter. Essentially the players owned up to it (2 glasses each) with Dixon suggesting he drinks wine the night before games to get to sleep and that the practise has helped him play better football.

bulldogtragic
03-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Get them out of the place and into a good environment I say. If that needs to be at our club then we will just need to take that bullet for the greater good.

GVGjr
03-06-2015, 07:45 PM
So hard done by or did the club need to make a stand?

azabob
03-06-2015, 07:59 PM

Not hard done by at all. Clearly there are dicipline issues at the club and it appears it is at least a third of the playing list.

Not sure what else the club need to do for the player's to get the message? Perhaps sack one of them?

Didnt Dixon have a prior record?

azabob
03-06-2015, 08:02 PM
What is more annoying is the Afl handed them a lot of top end talent and now they are going to get another top end draft pick.

Hotdog60
03-06-2015, 08:02 PM
It was a one match ban for breaking the rules wasn't it? If it was agreed by the playing group then they should tow the line.
I think it's fair enough, it was only for three games. Surely they could keep off the grog that long.
You have to buy in to the team ethos other wise they would all do their own thing.

GVGjr
03-06-2015, 08:03 PM
Not hard done by at all. Clearly there are dicipline issues at the club and it appears it is at least a third of the playing list.

Not sure what else the club need to do for the player's to get the message? Perhaps sack one of them?

Didnt Dixon have a prior record?

Not that I can recall. It must be a constant battle to get close to all the players on the list focused on the right things.

I mentioned on the Players Sponsors night thread what a pleasure it was to meet some of our younger players. I'm sure somewhere down the track we will face some challenges though.

Hotdog60
03-06-2015, 08:05 PM
Have we got to that generation that lacks discipline and think they know best. Do they get their noses out of joint when they get told.
Who would want to be a coach.

azabob
03-06-2015, 08:13 PM
Not that I can recall. It must be a constant battle to get close to all the players on the list focused on the right things.

I mentioned on the Players Sponsors night thread what a pleasure it was to meet some of our younger players. I'm sure somewhere down the track we will face some challenges though.

Back in early May when the last drinking ban occurred Dixon was let off as he was "drinking" with family.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-07/danny-stanley-also-suspended-by-gold-coast-for-breaching-drinking-rules-

Twodogs
03-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Dixon and Martin have been suspended by Gold Coast for drinking the night before their game.
The club had made it clear to the playing group that there was a ban of drinking for 3 games and Dixon and Martin ignored it.

Is this a good stance by the club?

From my point of view, it's been touted that Dixon will receive a massive contract offer from the Lions and I would have thought most players would do what they could to make sure they actually get that offer.

Gold Coast have just one win so far this year and it appears a few of the players aren't focused on improving that record,

I think the three week dry period was a target set by either the playing group or the leadership group. So if the players set the limit and these boys broke it then a week sounds about right.

ledge
03-06-2015, 08:39 PM
If Dixon says its a ritual he does to sleep why wouldn't he have mentioned it before ?
Seriously I don't know the problem , a glass of red wine a day is supposed to be very good for you.
Alcohol can actually be good for you in some ways, two beers or a wine ? You think it affects the way you play a day later ?
I think no alcohol is over the top as long as you don't have a reading on the day you can't be drinking where it affects you badly in anyway .

bornadog
03-06-2015, 09:00 PM
If Dixon says its a ritual he does to sleep why wouldn't he have mentioned it before ?
Seriously I don't know the problem , a glass of red wine a day is supposed to be very good for you.
Alcohol can actually be good for you in some ways, two beers or a wine ? You think it affects the way you play a day later ?
I think no alcohol is over the top as long as you don't have a reading on the day you can't be drinking where it affects you badly in anyway .

Yeah nothing wrong with one glass

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31hF5CHANcL.jpg

lemmon
03-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Surely the problem isn't that they had a glass or two of wine, it's that this was an explicit rule set by the playing group after a string of issues recently? After already seeing a number of guys suspended less than a month ago and all the media attention that came of it, you'd have to be absolutely stupid to have a sniff of alcohol, even if it 'helps you sleep'. I'm no teetotaller but this is about respect for the rules laid down, respect for your club culture and respect for those team-mates that are abiding and wouldn't mind winning a game of footy. I think they've gotten away very lightly here.

Dancin' Douggy
03-06-2015, 09:34 PM
If had a puritanical Christian leading the club. And there were 'prayer groups' within the club. I would rebel.
And I would want to get the F#@$%* out.

I went to a Catholic boarding school in Sunbury (google if you must.....headmaster, vice principal and deputy vice principal all guilty of..............I think you know what.

If Christianity works for G. Ablett in his private life that's fine. But it seems to me he's making it a big part of the club culture.

I'm not surprised actually that it's causing negative ripples. It would make me sick if it was part of it.

Just my own angle on it.

Greystache
03-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Read Sam Lane's article on the matter. Essentially the players owned up to it (2 glasses each) with Dixon suggesting he drinks wine the night before games to get to sleep and that the practise has helped him play better football.

The players fessed up after they forgot to pay their mini-bar tab at the hotel and an invoice was sent to the club.

GVGjr
03-06-2015, 09:46 PM
Surely the problem isn't that they had a glass or two of wine, it's that this was an explicit rule set by the playing group after a string of issues recently? After already seeing a number of guys suspended less than a month ago and all the media attention that came of it, you'd have to be absolutely stupid to have a sniff of alcohol, even if it 'helps you sleep'. I'm no teetotaller but this is about respect for the rules laid down, respect for your club culture and respect for those team-mates that are abiding and wouldn't mind winning a game of footy. I think they've gotten away very lightly here.

Correct, The club has won just one game and have had behavioral issues with a few players. As a group they decided to have an alcohol free three weeks. Not a huge ask for players to tow the line. To me it's a sign of weakness that they couldn't follow that rule.

lemmon
03-06-2015, 11:18 PM
If had a puritanical Christian leading the club. And there were 'prayer groups' within the club. I would rebel.
And I would want to get the F#@$%* out.

I went to a Catholic boarding school in Sunbury (google if you must.....headmaster, vice principal and deputy vice principal all guilty of..............I think you know what.

If Christianity works for G. Ablett in his private life that's fine. But it seems to me he's making it a big part of the club culture.

I'm not surprised actually that it's causing negative ripples. It would make me sick if it was part of it.

Just my own angle on it.

What's this based on? I don't think I've ever seen Ablett speak about his faith publicly unless directly asked and even then he's reluctant to talk about it, nor have I ever heard him push it on other players. To each their own but surely drawing links between player's drinking and what Ablett does or doesn't believe is a huge bow.

The Underdog
03-06-2015, 11:26 PM
Have we got to that generation that lacks discipline and think they know best. Do they get their noses out of joint when they get told.

Pretty sure you've just described every generation

Twodogs
03-06-2015, 11:33 PM

Talkin'' bout my generation.

Happy Days
03-06-2015, 11:36 PM

Yeah! What they should have done is taken them out behind the grandstand and beat them up, like in the GOOD OLD DAYS.

And what pussies for only drinking 2 glasses; Kevin Sheedy would have insisted they at least polish the bottle.

hujsh
04-06-2015, 02:00 AM
What's this based on? I don't think I've ever seen Ablett speak about his faith publicly unless directly asked and even then he's reluctant to talk about it, nor have I ever heard him push it on other players. To each their own but surely drawing links between player's drinking and what Ablett does or doesn't believe is a huge bow.

While I've not heard of Ablett doing that I remember a few years back Snr stating that Western society had lost it's way because it believed in the 'myth' of evolution. So I can see Jnr maybe being a bit over the top.

Twodogs
04-06-2015, 04:58 AM
Yeah! What they should have done is taken them out behind the grandstand and beat them up, like in the GOOD OLD DAYS.

And what pussies for only drinking 2 glasses; Kevin Sheedy would have insisted they at least polish the bottle.

Sheeds would have helped them polish it off.

KT31
04-06-2015, 09:08 AM
While I've not heard of Ablett doing that I remember a few years back Snr stating that Western society had lost it's way because it believed in the 'myth' of evolution. So I can see Jnr maybe being a bit over the top.

Was that after or before he helped a young women od ?

westdog54
04-06-2015, 10:15 AM

Yep, that's humanity in general. Nothing at all to do with generations.

jeemak
04-06-2015, 10:41 AM

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gary-ablett-posts-photo-of-pre-match-prayer-on-social-media/story-fn6pe9hv-1226646971285

It might be a bit of a stretch to suggest he's pushing it on to the broader playing group, but it's not something he's shy about.

Sedat
04-06-2015, 10:51 AM
Gold Coast seems to be one giant black hole for any sporting organisations in any national code. It's as though there are fantastic beaches, magnificent golf courses and beautiful weather to take your focus away from sport on weekends...

jeemak
04-06-2015, 10:56 AM
The players fessed up after they forgot to pay their mini-bar tab at the hotel and an invoice was sent to the club.

Such buffoonery.

I would have thought Dixon would be better off meditating and mastering relaxation techniques rather than relying on two glasses of wine to get to sleep, as eventually two will turn into four, four will turn into six and so on..........

As for the club culture, there is no such thing and it's up to the club leaders to form a healthy one over time. With leaders like Carmichael Hunt and Campbell (king-hit-dickhead) Brown running around for them they were always behind the eight ball.

Dancin' Douggy
04-06-2015, 11:42 AM

Fair enough, I fired this off without any supporting evidence. Suffice to say, I can have a hair trigger on this stuff,
but just quickly..............

This quote.

Off to a side Gary Ablett, Zac Smith and Aaron Hall drape arms over each others shoulders. They invite anyone else in – players, coaches – to join them and often at least several more gather in the huddle. They bow their heads and pray. They recite a biblical quote and ask for strength for the game ahead before they run out to play.

from this article.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afls-growing-band-of-religious-players-20140523-zrl54.html

That alone doesn't seem like much but I'm sure I've heard, read other articles which state Gaz's christianity is a pretty big part of his interaction with the team. I'm in a bit of a rush so can't dig much further now..
Anyway, I'm just saying it would creep ME out if I was in the team.........whether it would make me drink the night before a match is a different thing I guess but maybe there's a subconscious rebellious reaction to all this bible business.

Sport and government should both be strictly secular

Sedat
04-06-2015, 11:54 AM
As for the club culture, there is no such thing and it's up to the club leaders to form a healthy one over time. With leaders like Carmichael Hunt and Campbell (king-hit-dickhead) Brown running around for them they were always behind the eight ball.
The great irony of yesterday is that this moron blasted Dixon and Martin on Twitter for their lack of discipline. Pots, kettles and all that...

jeemak
04-06-2015, 01:03 PM
The great irony of yesterday is that this moron blasted Dixon and Martin on Twitter for their lack of discipline. Pots, kettles and all that...

If you want an example of how and why AFL blokey-bloke culture is so ridiculous, you only need to point out that people within the industry think Campbell Brown is a good guy that should be on TV.

Cyberdoggie
04-06-2015, 01:33 PM
Gold Coast seems to be one giant black hole for any sporting organisations in any national code. It's as though there are fantastic beaches, magnificent golf courses and beautiful weather to take your focus away from sport on weekends...

Sounds like a horrible place, no wonder they have turned to the drink!

Sedat
04-06-2015, 02:56 PM
If you want an example of how and why AFL blokey-bloke culture is so ridiculous, you only need to point out that people within the industry think Campbell Brown is a good guy that should be on TV.
Campbell Brown, the foremost authority on discipline and not getting on the piss:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/gold-coast-players-campbell-brown-and-maverick-weller-detained-by-police-in-thailand/story-e6freoof-1226137368985

Remi Moses
04-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Apparently it was out of control for a while now .
Good luck with getting another gig in the footy industry Guy McKenna.
This issues resonates for every generation, but the issue now is it isn't acceptable in a professional environment .

Mantis
04-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Apparently it was out of control for a while now .
Good luck with getting another gig in the footy industry Guy McKenna.
This issues resonates for every generation, but the issue now is it isn't acceptable in a professional environment .

He already has one, well sort of (footy media).. His good mate made certain of this.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-06-2015, 05:25 PM
In isolation it would appear harsh, but in the context of the edict the players took upon themselves to propose and agree to it is a necessary outcome.
The playing group clearly set a no drinking policy for a 3 week period, as a gesture to try and set a baseline for professionalism. Given their shocking performance on and off the field it seems the group needed to institute some semblance of rules. Dixon and Martin chose to walk away from that and if they weren't punished it would make it even harder to instil any positive standards going forward.

Remi Moses
04-06-2015, 07:45 PM
He already has one, well sort of (footy media).. His good mate made certain of this.

In the coaching spectrum he is.

Go_Dogs
04-06-2015, 07:55 PM

If the players have agreed, taken an oath, whatever the form of the no-drinking resolution was, the terms are clear. I would think anything other than following through creates more issues.

If certain players did not agree with the resolution, they should have voiced that prior to or during its inception and sought to negotiate terms they were comfortable with.

jeemak
05-06-2015, 02:05 AM
If the players have agreed, taken an oath, whatever the form of the no-drinking resolution was, the terms are clear. I would think anything other than following through creates more issues.

If certain players did not agree with the resolution, they should have voiced that prior to or during its inception and sought to negotiate terms they were comfortable with.

From the outside looking in it's easy to suggest that a mandate was reached for the leadership group to set policy and penalty at their discretion. But what happens when the leadership is well out of touch with the rest of the playing group?

I'm not excusing the behaviour, but after multiple incidents I wonder how effective anything the leadership group is trying to implement is, and why it's so hard.

Go_Dogs
05-06-2015, 09:03 AM
From the outside looking in it's easy to suggest that a mandate was reached for the leadership group to set policy and penalty at their discretion. But what happens when the leadership is well out of touch with the rest of the playing group?

I'm not excusing the behaviour, but after multiple incidents I wonder how effective anything the leadership group is trying to implement is, and why it's so hard.

Surely there is consultation and buy in from those outside the leadership group? If not, maybe that's the issue.

Twodogs
05-06-2015, 11:14 AM

Surely there is consultation and buy in from those outside the leadership group? If not, maybe that's the issue.

It's a good point. On the face of it, it shouldn't be that difficult.

bornadog
05-06-2015, 12:00 PM
Wayne Carey's take on it :rolleyes:

No drinking before games? Football has become a nanny state (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/no-drinking-before-games-football-has-become-a-nanny-state-20150604-ghgvun.html)

Happy Days
05-06-2015, 12:03 PM
Wayne Carey's take on it :rolleyes:

No drinking before games? Football has become a nanny state (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/no-drinking-before-games-football-has-become-a-nanny-state-20150604-ghgvun.html)

Carey is a big fan of glasses of wine; not the wine itself, just the glasses.

Ozza
05-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Carey's article is spot on in my opinion.

Particularly the parts about clubs setting widespread drinking bans (or similar) that just sets up players to fail.

Fair enough GCS don't want their players to be out on Cavel Avenue until all hours getting into trouble, but going too far (as a leadership or coaching group) the other way and deciding to ban the players from drinking or going out - just creates a resentful player group on the whole.