PDA

View Full Version : Judd is gone.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2015, 04:08 PM
He was taken to hospital with an apparent ACL. He looks absolutely gone. An out and out gun gone out with injury is a little unjust, but he's done everything in footy.

azabob
06-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Would be a shame for his career to end like this. Champion player.

Twodogs
06-06-2015, 04:37 PM

Yep. I would have loved to have him at the Bulldogs. A real gun. For it to end like this is a real shame.

EasternWest
06-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Super player. Turd bloke.

jeemak
06-06-2015, 05:33 PM
Super player. Turd bloke.

What's he done?

Is this a reference to his gouging?

boydogs
06-06-2015, 05:38 PM
What's he done?

Is this a reference to his gouging?

Chicken wing, elbow to Pavlich's head, gouging, take your pick

Ghost Dog
06-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Chicken wing, elbow to Pavlich's head, gouging, take your pick

Ah come on. It's a competitive game. You don't judge a career by a few acts.
Brad Johnno used to do the dive now and then. Do we judge him on that?

azabob
06-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Ah come on. It's a competitive game. You don't judge a career by a few acts.
Brad Johnno used to do the dive now and then. Do we judge him on that?

Are you serious GD?

So you condone his actions? All those acts were deliberate and intended to cause harm to his opposition player.

At least Johnson's diving never physically harmed his opponents.

ratsmac
06-06-2015, 06:19 PM
It's a shame, he is an out and out champion. Although I won't miss his soft free kicks just for being Chris Judd.

bornadog
06-06-2015, 06:31 PM
Can't stand him, can appreciate his talent. Should have retired last year.

1eyedog
06-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Given he was the best player in the competition over an extended period and was pummeled, elbowed, pinched, punched, kneed and driven into the ground because of it I'm surprised he didn't retaliate more to be honest. Champion player, I've never met him so not sure what he is like as a person. Done a shite load for various charities though.

Ghost Dog
06-06-2015, 06:58 PM
Are you serious GD?

So you condone his actions? All those acts were deliberate and intended to cause harm to his opposition player.

Apples with oranges. Brad was never tagged, scragged and impinged like Judd. Gouging is an absolute low act, and it's a blot on his career. Does take the shine off his other achievements but not all of it.
Try Bulldogs, Libba for example, and their long fingernails etc.
It's a tough game and players do step over the line, but that doesn't make him a shit bloke.
Same as Libba, a player everyone admits would do anything to get us over the line, being a good bloke who had white line fever. Is he a shit bloke for what he did? Well, some might say so, but we all know differently.

GVGjr
06-06-2015, 07:02 PM
Electrifying player at his peak. I'm sorry to hear about his injury.

Twodogs
06-06-2015, 07:49 PM
Apples with oranges. Brad was never tagged, scragged and impinged like Judd. Gouging is an absolute low act, and it's a blot on his career. Does take the shine off his other achievements but not all of it.
Try Bulldogs, Libba for example, and their long fingernails etc.
It's a tough game and players do step over the line, but that doesn't make him a shit bloke.
Same as Libba, a player everyone admits would do anything to get us over the line, being a good bloke who had white line fever. Is he a shit bloke for what he did? Well, some might say so, but we all know differently.

Yeah he was. Dont forget that Brad spent half of his career in the midfield. He was tripped, elbowed and punched. The only difference is Brad never responded by elbowing other players in the face or trying to snap their arm of at the shoulder or gouge their eyes out. Judd was a great player but I wont be wasting any sympathy for him for any other reason than his football career is over.

Libba was never lauded as the shining light of the competition and paid outside of the salary cap to play some farcical role in an ambassador job.

azabob
06-06-2015, 08:09 PM
Yeah he was. Dont forget that Brad spent half of his career in the midfield. He was tripped, elbowed and punched. The only difference is Brad never responded by elbowing other players in the face or trying to snap their arm of at the shoulder or gouge their eyes out. Judd was a great player but I wont be wasting any sympathy for him for any other reason than his football career is over.

Libba was never lauded as the shining light of the competition and paid outside of the salary cap to play some farcical role in an ambassador job.

And defenders played within the rules!

Twodogs
08-06-2015, 03:02 PM
And defenders played within the rules!

Brad made sure the umpire saw every infringment though. Those jumper punches were GOALS, Jerry, GOALS!

Maddog37
08-06-2015, 05:51 PM
I like Judd but I don't like his Visy deal and feel that it has tarnished his legacy more than gouging etc.

azabob
08-06-2015, 06:03 PM
I like Judd but I don't like his Visy deal and feel that it has tarnished his legacy more than gouging etc.

Whose fault is the visy desl? I wouldnt think it was Judds.

Maddog37
08-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Whose fault is the visy desl? I wouldnt think it was Judds.

He took the cash didn't he?

azabob
08-06-2015, 06:22 PM

Yep. Hate the game, not the player.

GVGjr
08-06-2015, 06:25 PM

He was upfront about the deal and the AFL gave it the OK. Should a player not be able to earn money aside from his playing contract?

Maddog37
08-06-2015, 08:19 PM
He was upfront about the deal and the AFL gave it the OK. Should a player not be able to earn money aside from his playing contract?

If that money paid is commensurate with the work done then I have no issues with it.

bulldogtragic
08-06-2015, 09:53 PM
If that money paid is commensurate with the work done then I have no issues with it.

Aren't two meet and greets of senior management a year worth $750,000? :)

hujsh
08-06-2015, 10:34 PM

Doesn't apply to anyone else in society.

Ghost Dog
08-06-2015, 10:52 PM
Aren't two meet and greets of senior management a year worth $750,000? :)

You mean like Eddleston in the Blues match day box? ;) Ka-ching!

KT31
09-06-2015, 12:21 AM
Are you serious GD?

Would this be an appropriate time to bring up Libba senior ?

azabob
09-06-2015, 08:00 AM
Would this be an appropriate time to bring up Libba senior ?

I guess you think it is - Do you think Johnson's diving is equal to Judds elbows, gouging, chicken wing?

As with Judd, Libba actions were intentional and rightly or wrongly he always felt the wrath of the public and the tribunal.

KT31
09-06-2015, 08:59 AM
I guess you think it is - Do you think Johnson's diving is equal to Judds elbows, gouging, chicken wing?

As with Judd, Libba actions were intentional and rightly or wrongly he always felt the wrath of the public and the tribunal.

I agree with you azabob, whilst I hate diving but it is in no way as despicable as the incidents Judd has been involved in.
The reason I bought up Libba was to try and point out a closer comparison to Judd, Libba was a champion for us but some of his actions on the field late in his career where very poor.

bornadog
09-06-2015, 11:34 AM
Officially Retired

Ozza
09-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Are you serious GD?

As long as you are happy for Ted Whitten to be judged as a bad bloke because of the many times he intended to cause harm to a player.

Ozza
09-06-2015, 12:54 PM
One of the best players I've ever seen.

His footy from 2003-2011 in particular was electrifying. A real shame for him to not go out on his terms.

1eyedog
09-06-2015, 01:02 PM
One of the best players I've ever seen.

His footy from 2003-2011 in particular was electrifying. A real shame for him to not go out on his terms.

Won two Brownlows, B&Fs and Premierships plus he's got a hot wife.

Not that much of a shame.

Maddog37
09-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Get him on the coaching panel.

Ghost Dog
09-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Interesting to watch the footage of the Eagles premiership, and Ben cousins on the stage, looking high as a kite.
Eagles culture has been one of the most toxic in the AFL. Cousins, Kerr, Mainwearing, did I forget anyone else?
It's a pity Judd couldn't have had his early career with a Vic club.

Ghost Dog
09-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Won two Brownlows, B&Fs and Premierships plus he's got a hot wife.

Not that much of a shame.

How about Theage listing his wife's red brownlow dress as one of his 'career highlights'. Pathetic journalism.

chef
09-06-2015, 07:21 PM
Get him on the coaching panel.

He's done with footy apparently.

Remi Moses
09-06-2015, 07:54 PM
Greater player at West Coast IMHO.
Pace was more electrifying there, until his OP issues in his last year.
Interested on his perspective on the West Coast drug culture

azabob
09-06-2015, 08:25 PM

As long as you are happy for Ted Whitten to be judged as a bad bloke because of the many times he intended to cause harm to a player.

Never said anything about Judd being a good or bad bloke.

Simply commented about some of his on field behaviour and how Johnson was a poor comparison. As i said in the second post on this thread, champion player and a shame his career has come to and end in this way.

Rocco Jones
09-06-2015, 08:49 PM
I lived in Perth at the time Judd was at his peak with the Eagles. I remember being able to get to a few games at Subiaco in perfect conditions, thinking how it perfectly suited his electrifying pace.

Fast forward the better part of a decade and I remember Carlton playing the Swans in heavy rain at the SCG, thinking these conditions suit him perfectly.

Judd at his peak was at best midfielder I have ever seen. I have Ablett ahead of him for more elite years. The strongest part of Judd's legacy for mine, is what stopped him from being the greatest, how injuries slowed him down. He went from the electrifying Eagle to a contested ball winning beast.

The good strongly outweighs the bad. Ultimately, I want my sporting champions to entertain me rather than be blokes I'd like to have a beer with. You will be very much missed Juddy.

Twodogs
09-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Best midfielder over the last twenty years is a good question. Judd at his peak controlled games more than anyone I've seen. Voss had a bit going for him at his peak too. The Fab Four that drove Brisbane boasted 3 Brownlow medalists but Voss was head and shoulders the best of them.

lemmon
09-06-2015, 11:10 PM
Astonishing career, went from being the best receiver in the league at the Eagles with his dash on the outside and skill going forward. Injury slowed him, he recognised the young Carlton mids needed an inside workhorse and ball-winner so turned himself into the best in the league at that too. I can't split he and Ablett as the best player I've seen.

KT31
10-06-2015, 09:38 AM
Interesting to watch the footage of the Eagles premiership, and Ben cousins on the stage, looking high as a kite.
Eagles culture has been one of the most toxic in the AFL. Cousins, Kerr, Mainwearing, did I forget anyone else?

Michael Gardiner, and I'm sure there are so many we will never know about.
As you said GD a toxic environment and one the AFL will hopefully never allow happen again.
Its really a shame as they were a great team and their accomplishments will be forever overshadowed by other and drug scandals.

Maddog37
10-06-2015, 03:38 PM
Daniel Chick was a touch messy at times too.

Ghost Dog
10-06-2015, 04:42 PM
Daniel Chick was a touch messy at times too.

One disadvantage of being an interstate team, you have guys like Pavlich who seem to miss out on a lot of kudos.
One advantage, you are that much further away from Caroline Wilson.

azabob
10-06-2015, 08:24 PM
One disadvantage of being an interstate team, you have guys like Pavlich who seem to miss out on a lot of kudos.

But it's ok for you to comment on culture and drug issues, but not Caroline Wilson?

Happy Days
10-06-2015, 09:01 PM
But it's ok for you to comment on culture and drug issues, but not Caroline Wilson?

I think GD's talking about being out of the media limelight; if anything, he's complimenting Caro!

Ghost Dog
11-06-2015, 12:34 AM

Sorry Azabob, clarification needed.
Caroline takes clubs to task for lots of things, and love her or hate her, she is the writer of 'bad boys behavior' in AFL.
That the Victorian clubs seem to get more attention in the Victorian press, is my rather obvious point, poorly made.

To her credit, she brought up the issue of Ben Cousins and his deterioration in 2015, but tied it in to AFL culture and drugs in general.
When the Cox biography came out, I would have thought more journos would say something but she was about the only one.

jeemak
11-06-2015, 12:57 AM

If you think anyone could have played in a game like that high as a kite you're kidding yourself.

Plus, if Melbourne was the fishbowl Perth is I'm pretty sure there would be a fair few more skeletons bursting from closets in a similar vein in Melbourne as they did over in the West during 2004-2008.

After the Liberatore incident I'd have thought our club's supporters might have taken a dose of humility.

Remi Moses
11-06-2015, 01:24 AM
Look forward to juddy driving the Visy truck .

jeemak
11-06-2015, 02:01 AM
Look forward to juddy driving the Visy truck .

Juddy finally living his cruisy dream driving pulp and waste trucks around the suburbs.

Ghost Dog
11-06-2015, 08:58 AM
If you think anyone could have played in a game like that high as a kite you're kidding yourself.

Plus, if Melbourne was the fishbowl Perth is I'm pretty sure there would be a fair few more skeletons bursting from closets in a similar vein in Melbourne as they did over in the West during 2004-2008.

After the Liberatore incident I'd have thought our club's supporters might have taken a dose of humility.

Maybe not. But there are ways of getting your body to a certain level of performance before a game right? And still be glowing on the day. I'm not sure any of us are confident he would have passed a drug test on the day. Obviously the rules have changed and congrats to the AFL for getting on to it.

One wonders if Judd will ever come out and comment about it. He would write a pretty good Bio.

KT31
11-06-2015, 11:29 AM

I know what you mean Pav is one of my all time favorite non-bulldog players and really doesn't get the accolades he would if he played in Victoria.

jeemak
11-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Maybe not. But there are ways of getting your body to a certain level of performance before a game right? And still be glowing on the day. I'm not sure any of us are confident he would have passed a drug test on the day. Obviously the rules have changed and congrats to the AFL for getting on to it.

One wonders if Judd will ever come out and comment about it. He would write a pretty good Bio.

The drugs policy was installed in 2005, and I have very little doubt that WCE players would have been target tested after the 2006 GF. If Cousins was jacked up on the day, or in the days leading up to the big dance I'd be very surprised.

One wonders whether Judd was in on it as well.

Remi Moses
13-06-2015, 12:18 AM
Don't want to be accused of shooting Bambi, but what was Judd saying/ doing as captain during West Coasts party days?
Great player, but they're questions that I'm looking forward to him answering

azabob
13-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Don't want to be accused of shooting Bambi, but what was Judd saying/ doing as captain during West Coasts party days?
Great player, but they're questions that I'm looking forward to him answering

From what I can gather Remi, no matter what anyone said, no-one could influence that. Hence why he left!

1eyedog
13-06-2015, 10:49 AM
From what I can gather Remi, no matter what anyone said, no-one could influence that. Hence why he left!

I'm not sure why he left but you're spot on. Very difficult to have any influence in that kind of situation. It just becomes a lifestyle choice.

Remi Moses
16-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Maybe informing Worsfold or the board should have been done.
Found a place on the committee for their next coach !
I can't believe Edelstein's not on it