PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful photos of how we looked at the footy in the 70's & 80's!

HOSE B ROMERO
13-06-2015, 04:17 PM
Here's a link to some fantastic Rennie Ellis photos from the past. Enjoy.

http://www.islandcontinent.com.au/rennie-ellis-at-the-footy (http://www.islandcontinent.com.au/rennie-ellis-at-the-footy)

Twodogs
13-06-2015, 05:05 PM
I couldn't click on the link but I cut and pasted into Google and found them.

Wow! Great photos. Really brings it all back.

westdog54
13-06-2015, 05:33 PM
Fixed the link.

Eastdog
13-06-2015, 05:58 PM
Fantastic photos. As someone born in the late 80s its great seeing what the footy was like back in the day.

bornadog
13-06-2015, 06:05 PM
Enjoyed the photos, thank you for posting.

ledge
13-06-2015, 06:12 PM
They don't look as aged as I thought they would, I suppose football fans haven't changed in the way we support and wear our colours, maybe make up jeans do though.

Eastdog
13-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Back when footy day was solely on a Saturday afternoon.

Twodogs
13-06-2015, 08:41 PM
Back when footy day was solely on a Saturday afternoon.

That's right. Usually the first you heard of the results of other games was when you got to Flinders st and found out from supporters of other clubs on the way home from their games.

Eastdog
13-06-2015, 08:53 PM
That's right. Usually the first you heard of the results of other games was when you got to Flinders st and found out from supporters of other clubs on the way home from their games.

I believe they used to have letter codes to each team at the grounds. Would have been great to have been around then.

azabob
13-06-2015, 09:04 PM
I believe they used to have letter codes to each team at the grounds. Would have been great to have been around then.

Yep and the letter codes and the corespondening game was in the footy record.

Eastdog
13-06-2015, 09:15 PM
I'm sure there were quite a few chilly Saturday afternoons and a bag of jam donuts would have gone down very well :)

Twodogs
13-06-2015, 10:41 PM

They did Easty but most of us had left the ground and headed home before the final scores went up sometimes 15 minutes after the game had finished. You didn't want to loiter at places like Victoria Park or Moorabbin for too long after games, rather getting out as quickly as possible was the first order of the day. Transistor radios didn't work on trains so that was out. As soon as we got to Flinders Street we'd yell across the platforms to other fans asking how they went, asking if anyone had seen a Fitzroy supporter any where

It would make a good play.

Eastdog
13-06-2015, 10:51 PM
They did Easty but most of us had left the ground and headed home before the final scores went up sometimes 15 minutes after the game had finished. You didn't want to loiter at places like Victoria Park or Moorabbin for too long after games, rather getting out as quickly as possible was the first order of the day. Transistor radios didn't work on trains so that was out. As soon as we got to Flinders Street we'd yell across the platforms to other fans asking how they went, asking if anyone had seen a Fitzroy supporter any where

It would make a good play.

Flinders St Saturday afternoons in the 80s the true footy hub.

Jeanette54
14-06-2015, 02:15 PM
I remember walking back through the back streets of Footscray, and (if we had won) all the people coming out to their front gates to ask for more details of the game from passers-by. How did Doc go ? Did you see Merv's mark ? How many (goals) did Ted end up with ? Who won the seconds ?

With all games on a Saturday sometimes we didn't crack it for even radio coverage, just around the grounds scores. It was always disappointing to have our game covered by 3UZ. Footy came a poor second to the races on that channel.

They would also put the city race results up on the scoreboard in those days, and there were always a few cheers or groans, totally unrelated to the game, when they went up. Some of the players had more than a passing interest in the results too.

jeemak
14-06-2015, 02:30 PM
I remember walking back through the back streets of Footscray, and (if we had won) all the people coming out to their front gates to ask for more details of the game from passers-by. How did Doc go ? Did you see Merv's mark ? How many (goals) did Ted end up with ? Who won the seconds ?

With all games on a Saturday sometimes we didn't crack it for even radio coverage, just around the grounds scores. It was always disappointing to have our game covered by 3UZ. Footy came a poor second to the races on that channel.

They would also put the city race results up on the scoreboard in those days, and there were always a few cheers or groans, totally unrelated to the game, when they went up. Some of the players had more than a passing interest in the results too.

I remember a story about Doc Whieldon playing a game at Waverley, his opponent recalled the ball being down the opposite end of the ground and Whieldon going absolutely bananas all of a sudden. Turns out his bet didn't get up.

Twodogs
14-06-2015, 03:24 PM
I remember a story about Doc Whieldon playing a game at Waverley, his opponent recalled the ball being down the opposite end of the ground and Whieldon going absolutely bananas all of a sudden. Turns out his bet didn't get up.

Used to see the Doc down in King st at 4am the morning before he was due to play that day.

jeemak
14-06-2015, 04:38 PM
Used to see the Doc down in King st at 4am the morning before he was due to play that day.

On your way to work TD?

GVGjr
14-06-2015, 05:09 PM

That takes me back. I just remembered how my grandfather would drag his feet after a loss when we were leaving the ground. I was like 7 years old and thinking whats up with him. There was a massive difference in the way he walked out of the ground after a win or a loss. I'd get tips on my posture and the way I should be walking after a Bulldogs win but not so much after a loss ;)
It's fair to say he didn't handle things too well after a loss.

Twodogs
14-06-2015, 05:31 PM
On your way to work TD?

No. Usually I was laying on the pavement.

Eastdog
14-06-2015, 07:24 PM
A lot of the old pubs in Footscray you mentioned before TD in another thread are all gone now. I believe there all apartments now.

Twodogs
14-06-2015, 07:36 PM
A lot of the old pubs in Footscray you mentioned before TD in another thread are all gone now. I believe there all apartments now.

Some are apartments, some are restaurants, some are pokies venues. Quite a lot are apartments now that I think about it.

LostDoggy
14-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Great variety of photos. Tried to see myself in some but couldn't really.

F'scary
23-06-2015, 09:35 PM
All I can say is "that was me..."