PDA

View Full Version : RIP Phil Walsh

Webby
03-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Shocking. Allegedly murdered by his son overnight..

whythelongface
03-07-2015, 08:54 AM
What?? My god that is sad.

comrade
03-07-2015, 09:04 AM
Geez, in a bit of shock.

Thoughts are with his wife and family. Feel for Adelaide fans too. I'd be guttered if we lost Bevo.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Phil Walsh allegedly killed by his son, reported on ABC radio, no other details.

LostDoggy
03-07-2015, 09:12 AM
http://http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/07/03/05/48/suspicious-death-following-alleged-domestic-dispute-in-adelaide (http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/07/03/05/48/suspicious-death-following-alleged-domestic-dispute-in-adelaide)

This is absolutley shocking, really feel for Phils wife.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
03-07-2015, 09:16 AM
What a strange world

Twodogs
03-07-2015, 09:30 AM
Far out! Unbelievable!

bulldogtragic
03-07-2015, 09:39 AM
Not much shocks me. This did. A family completely destroyed, a game shocked and a senseless loss.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-07-2015, 09:42 AM
This will impact the game beyond living memory. A great individual lost to the world through mental health it would seem.

Murphy'sLore
03-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Terrible news. A tragedy for the whole family. Just no words.

bornadog
03-07-2015, 09:47 AM
Hard to believe, shocked, words fail me. Condolences to family and friends.

SlimPickens
03-07-2015, 09:50 AM
Truly staggering news. What an absolute tragedy.

Topdog
03-07-2015, 09:54 AM
Terrible news, truly incomprehensible. RIP Phil.

westdog54
03-07-2015, 10:42 AM
Absolutely stunned. Family violence is everywhere, ladies and gents.

Calling it a tragedy doesn't do it justice. I'm not sure there's even a word in the english language for it.

The Pie Man
03-07-2015, 10:45 AM
How can this be? So indescribably sad

1eyedog
03-07-2015, 11:08 AM
You know there was a segment on SEN last week about Phil trying to get balance in his life. He was a workaholic and admitted being estranged from his family including missing out on large chunks of his son's life because of it. Very sad.

Ozza
03-07-2015, 11:55 AM
You know there was a segment on SEN last week about Phil trying to get balance in his life. He was a workaholic and admitted being estranged from his family including missing out on large chunks of his son's life because of it. Very sad.

Yes I heard that also, Mark Robinson had spent a day with Phil Walsh. When I heard of his son's involvement in his death - my first thought was how Robbo had said that 'he almost lost his son' (which I understood to be that he almost lost his relationship with his son) during his period at Port Adelaide where he had no work life balance.

Twodogs
03-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Yes I heard that also, Mark Robinson had spent a day with Phil Walsh. When I heard of his son's involvement in his death - my first thought was how Robbo had said that 'he almost lost his son' (which I understood to be that he almost lost his relationship with his son) during his period at Port Adelaide where he had no work life balance.

Correct. This morning I heard him quoted as saying that a few weeks ago he went surfing with his two kids, they stopped on the way back at a bakery to grab a pie. Walsh said it was the best day of his life.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-07-2015, 12:58 PM
Correct. This morning I heard him quoted as saying that a few weeks ago he went surfing with his two kids, they stopped on the way back at a bakery to grab a pie. Walsh said it was the best day of his life.

Gee that's sad.

Absolutely tragic, shocking news. Stunned and lost for words. Senseless.

RIP Phil Walsh.

Bulldog4life
03-07-2015, 01:12 PM
RIP Phil Walsh. Shocking.

Greystache
03-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Absolutely shocking news.

Reports coming out suggest the confrontation this morning was over his son's use of methamphetamine.

Twodogs
03-07-2015, 01:23 PM
Gee that's sad.

Absolutely tragic, shocking news. Stunned and lost for words. Senseless.

RIP Phil Walsh.

Isn't it? I must admit the first thing I did when I heard the news this morning was to go and hug my kids. They are on school holidays and asleep and weren't happy about it, but what the hey!

Twodogs
03-07-2015, 01:24 PM

Reports coming out suggest the confrontation this morning was over his son's use of methamphetamine.

I thought that too.

Eastdog
03-07-2015, 01:31 PM
This is terrible. Hate hearing when stuff like this happens.

RIP Phil Walsh

Happy Days
03-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Absolutely horrible news, I just can't fathom how a son can do this to his father or any of it really. RIP Phil.

The AFL has long dragged their heels on domestic violence. Maybe they will now realise how much of an issue it really is.

F'scary
03-07-2015, 01:44 PM
My thoughts are with the family of the deceased.

AndrewP6
03-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Read this earlier. I honestly thought it was some kind of sick joke when I saw the headline. Really don't know what to say.

GVGjr
03-07-2015, 01:58 PM
A sad day for the football community

Remi Moses
03-07-2015, 02:23 PM
How awful . RIP Phil Walsh

Bulldog4life
03-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Live stream on AFL website starting now re: situation.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-03/live-gillon-mclachlan-to-face-the-media-at-145pm-aest

Webby
03-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Sad state of affairs when i find myself 90% certain in my mind that ice is involved somewhere, here.

How many decent people fall victim to this stuff. The knock-on effect is cruel and devastating. People get rich bringing it in and manufacturing it with little to no regard for the devastation it causes. Hopefully the apologists for certain drug smugglers take note of incidents like this.

Anyway, rant over..

AndrewP6
03-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Sunday's Adelaide v Geelong match cancelled, 2 points to each team. All other matches to go ahead as per the fixture.The SANFL match postponed until later in the year.

Right decision IMO, they couldn't possibly expect then to play it.

Remi Moses
03-07-2015, 03:56 PM
No other decision could be made .This is quite surreal to be honest.

bornadog
03-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Sad state of affairs when i find myself 90% certain in my mind that ice is involved somewhere, here.

How many decent people fall victim to this stuff. The knock-on effect is cruel and devastating. People get rich bringing it in and manufacturing it with little to no regard for the devastation it causes. Hopefully the apologists for certain drug smugglers take note of incidents like this.

Anyway, rant over..

I don't think we should be speculating.

LostDoggy
03-07-2015, 03:58 PM
When my son told me this morning I thought it must be another sick Facebook joke. I can't imagine what his family are going through, just breaks my heart thinking of it.

If the reports on why are true, to most people it still doesn't explain how one could do that. I have witnessed and lived through the devastation and destruction that it has on lives and the people around them. It seeks out the weaknesses in even the best people and destroys everything good in them.

It is an epidemic that doesn't discriminate, it can bring even the strongest to their knees. But when mixed with depression it is complete and utter destruction.

Maddog37
03-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Today feels like evil has triumphed over good. So sad, so random. Never met the man but this has really shaken me.

I hugged my kids too and mentally redoubled my efforts to be the best dad I can be. I hope it is enough.

westdog54
03-07-2015, 04:40 PM
Guys,

I know this is very tragic and we need to be able to express ourselves over it, but lets keep the speculation about drugs and mental health out of it for the time being. I can't see it being helpful.

hujsh
03-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Today feels like evil has triumphed over good. So sad, so random. Never met the man but this has really shaken me.

I hugged my kids too and mentally redoubled my efforts to be the best dad I can be. I hope it is enough.

I think more than evil vs good it's just chaos vs order. It's sad but I can't imagine his son will be anything other than devastated either which makes it all the more tragic

Webby
03-07-2015, 04:52 PM
I don't think we should be speculating.

sometimes i think that you must think WOOF is Reuters or Associated Press, BAD!

Maddog37
03-07-2015, 04:56 PM
I think more than evil vs good it's just chaos vs order. It's sad but I can't imagine his son will be anything other than devastated either which makes it all the more tragic

Agreed. Everyone loses in this.

FrediKanoute
03-07-2015, 04:57 PM
Shocking. Picked this up on the Sky newsfeed here in the UK. Don't get how it can come to that.

Condolences to the family. Commiseration to the Adelaide FC

bornadog
03-07-2015, 04:58 PM
sometimes i think that you must think WOOF is Reuters or Associated Press, BAD!

Not sure what you mean.

comrade
03-07-2015, 05:05 PM
Not sure what you mean.

Referring to the fact that this is a discussion forum, so some speculation and obviously, discussion, should be allowed.

LostDoggy
03-07-2015, 05:11 PM
Referring to the fact that this is a discussion forum, so some speculation and obviously, discussion, should be allowed.

I don't think BAD is trying to be the thought police here, just respectful of the fact that you're talking about a man who just committed patricide, his whole family will be reeling and we wouldn't want WOOF to be seen in that kind of light would we guys? I mean, does anyone here really have to be the bloke who said “ice” first? We're all thinking it, but out of respect to his family we should keep it to ourselves.

westdog54
03-07-2015, 05:26 PM

Discussion is fine. Speculation isn't.

I can't make it much clearer than that.

Bulldog4life
03-07-2015, 06:09 PM
The person who has been hit the hardest is Phil's wife Meredith. Losing a husband and most likely losing a son for a very long time is a double whammy. My family's thoughts are with you.

Webby
03-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Self confessed psychadelic drug enthusiast kills his father, attacks his mother, is found in a psychotic state, charged with murder....... And I'm committing some kind of Orwellian thought crime by pointing out that drugs lead to awful stuff more and more lately??

Come on guys, FFS! What suburbs are you living in?

Flamethrower
03-07-2015, 07:51 PM
The world lost a great man today.

I never thought I would say this but I really feel for the players and fans of the Adelaide Crows.

The shock I felt when I heard Harf and Kingy announce the news on SEN as I was driving to work this morning cannot be put into words.

Rest In Peace Phil Walsh.

Dry Rot
03-07-2015, 07:57 PM

Hope you are right. I've heard another explanation out of SA which I won't post.

Let's see what the cops find out.

SonofScray
03-07-2015, 08:03 PM
The world lost a great man today.

I never thought I would say this but I really feel for the players and fans of the Adelaide Crows.

The shock I felt when I heard Harf and Kingy announce the news on SEN as I was driving to work this morning cannot be put into words.

Rest In Peace Phil Walsh.

Likewise. I was absolutely stunned, I think I actually said out loud "what the @#$%?" Just an incredibly sad event.

1eyedog
03-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Self confessed psychadelic drug enthusiast kills his father, attacks his mother, is found in a psychotic state, charged with murder....... And I'm committing some kind of Orwellian thought crime by pointing out that drugs lead to awful stuff more and more lately??

No you're probably on the mark I just think no one really wants to engage your discussion because a) most people are in shock and b) it's really a day for mourning. Besides, if you want to talk about the underlying issues that led to the murder, at least as far as I can make out, you'll need some discussion about mental health rather than one focused on the irrational actions of an ice fueled drug rage.

GVGjr
03-07-2015, 08:34 PM

We hear you but given the seriousness of the news and because at the time it broke the facts weren't that clear I'd personally prefer our football community here on WOOF acknowledge the tragic circumstances of the news we heard this morning and just wait for the more of facts to come forward before passing our thoughts on to other members. In most instances it doesn't take too long for the facts to appear.

I'll acknowledge that as it's played out today most of us would have been very close to the mark with our initial assessment but I still believe when something is so serious speculation isn't the wise road to travel.

bulldogtragic
03-07-2015, 08:41 PM
It's a footy forum and the context of us knowing this murder victim is through footy, unlike other Aussies murdered every other day. Crime and society forums can discuss it, and police and courts do their job. A quiet dignity we can all show is focusing on the man, footballer and AFL coach and not the balance of supposition about societal issues. It's not thought police, it's many just want to process shock and look at Phil Walsh the footballer/coach. Can we just stick with this for the time being, or have another thread for those wanting to discuss societal issues? RIP Walshy.

LostDoggy
03-07-2015, 09:33 PM
Such very sad news.
R.I.P Phil Walsh.
Condolences to Phils wife,family and the Adelaide football club.
It's a very sad world we live in today.

ratsmac
04-07-2015, 09:35 AM
It's been a day this this news broke and I still feel sick in the stomach every time I think of Phil Walsh. This is sad, shocking and incomprehensible that someone could get to the point that they could murder their own father. I feel so sorry Phil Walsh's family and friends.

Rest in peace Phil.

jeemak
04-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Horrible. I feel for his family and loved ones, and all who have touched him over the years.

RIP Phil Walsh.

FrediKanoute
04-07-2015, 04:48 PM

Issue is though bulletin boards/forums are still subject to defamation laws, so what gets posted can get users into trouble

jeemak
04-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Issue is though bulletin boards/forums are still subject to defamation laws, so what gets posted can get users into trouble

More so the administrators and owners of the forum can be exposed.

Eastdog
04-07-2015, 04:56 PM
It's been a day this this news broke and I still feel sick in the stomach every time I think of Phil Walsh. This is sad, shocking and incomprehensible that someone could get to the point that they could murder their own father. I feel so sorry Phil Walsh's family and friends.

Rest in peace Phil.

I still feel totally shocked. It takes a lot to shock me but this really did it. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Scraggers
04-07-2015, 06:45 PM
I love Hawthorn & Collingwood last night, and GWS & Richmond this arvo ... The standing arm in arm around the centre circle.

#RESPECT

LostDoggy
05-07-2015, 12:24 AM
I love Hawthorn & Collingwood last night, and GWS & Richmond this arvo ... The standing arm in arm around the centre circle.

#RESPECT

Tonight was a beautiful tribute.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2016, 06:15 PM
SA Supreme Court has found Cy Walsh (son) Not Guilty by Mental Impairment as an undiagnosed schizophrenic (no drugs in his system as alluded to at the time). They released details that involved Phil bleeding out at home with over 20 stab wounds. A horrible story in every aspect.