PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 15 vs Gold Coast Suns

Eastdog
04-07-2015, 01:00 AM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 15 match against Gold Coast Suns at Cazaly's Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
04-07-2015, 09:52 PM
I'd say changes are likely

boydogs
04-07-2015, 10:26 PM
I'd say changes are likely

What's the prognosis with Tom Boyd?

bulldogtragic
04-07-2015, 11:01 PM
In: Boyd, Crameri, Webb

Out: Roughy (inj), McLean (inj), Dickson

azabob
04-07-2015, 11:15 PM
BT, Dickson has one bad game and he's out?

G-Mo77
04-07-2015, 11:19 PM
McLean's injury probably saved Honeychurch. I'm a big fan of his but he was ordinary. How bad was Roughy's injury?

bulldogtragic
04-07-2015, 11:21 PM
BT, Dickson has one bad game and he's out?

I think Crameri and Boyd if fit are in the best 15. It's him or Honeychurch for the spot and its a toss of the coin. He's had a very good year, but Redders and Grant among others have been dropped after an average game too this year. I'd prefer to see if Honey can deal with needing to step up. I'd also like Hrovat back but 4 changes to a winning side is long odds at a guess.

Webby
04-07-2015, 11:28 PM
Caleb "Shorty" Daniel... subbbed on in 3rd quarter. 14 touches, 5 marks and a goal...

Best 2nd half sub debut ever..?

PS For younger Woofers, "Shorty" is a throwback to Alan "Shorty" Daniels - not a non-PC dig at Caleb's vertically challenged stature... just for the record..

kid's a star!

Cult figure in making.

hujsh
05-07-2015, 12:13 AM
Best since Dahlhaus?

The Bulldogs Bite
05-07-2015, 12:45 AM
IN: Boyd, Campbell, Crameri, Hrovat
OUT: Redpath, Roughead (inj), McLean (inj), Honeychurch

- Time to see if Campbell can deliver, good opportunity to play him now. Crameri must come back - I know his form hasn't been spectacular but our forward structure needs him - whilst Honeychurch was woeful. Hrovat is simply a much better player IMO.

bornadog
05-07-2015, 12:48 AM
IN: Boyd, Campbell, Crameri, Hrovat
OUT: Redpath, Roughead (inj), McLean (inj), Honeychurch

- Time to see if Campbell can deliver, good opportunity to play him now. Crameri must come back - I know his form hasn't been spectacular but our forward structure needs him - whilst Honeychurch was woeful. Hrovat is simply a much better player IMO.

Not happy with Redpath? I know he didn't kick one but he did pick up 7 strong marks, and seemed to play up the field abit.

divvydan
05-07-2015, 12:54 AM
Beveridge said in his press conference that Morris might have a broken jaw. Additionally, McLean's injury is a bad AC joint which will keep him out for a while, and Roughy has a jarred back and it's unclear if he'll be right for next week.

Rocco Jones
05-07-2015, 12:56 AM
In- T. Boyd, Hrovat
Out- Roughy, McLean

Honeychurch was ordinary but I would give him another crack. Putting away a chance or two was the difference between a poor and good game. His attitude is fine and not sure there will be any real positives for his development in dropping him. In terms of the team's short term needs, not sure the next kid like Webb or Dale will offer more. I would give him a game as a sub and hopefully he can do a bit.

always right
05-07-2015, 12:57 AM
He didn't kick a goal but I liked Redpath's game and would like to see him combining with Boyd.

Didn't agree with Honeychurch being elevated in the first place and think he should go back. He was woeful tonight.

In: Crameri, Hrovat, Boyd
Out: McLean (Inj), Honeychurch, Roughy (Inj)

The bulldog tragician
05-07-2015, 01:00 AM
Beveridge said in his press conference that Morris might have a broken jaw. Additionally, McLean's injury is a bad AC joint which will keep him out for a while, and Roughy has a jarred back and it's unclear if he'll be right for next week.

Morris a broken jaw??? I pray this isn't right!

Rocco Jones
05-07-2015, 01:05 AM
Morris and Roughy both being injured would really toy with our structure. We would really need another tall defender I would think. Talia for Morris if need be.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-07-2015, 01:12 AM
Not happy with Redpath? I know he didn't kick one but he did pick up 7 strong marks, and seemed to play up the field abit.

Though he did take a couple of nice marks I thought he was ordinary and he also got outmarked several times. Would rather Crameri, or Campbell.

G-Mo77
05-07-2015, 01:12 AM
Morris and Roughy both being injured would really toy with our structure. We would really need another tall defender I would think. Talia for Morris if need be.

I think we can still just go with Hamling and Roberts although Hamling also got banged up pretty bad, came back on but he'll be sore.

F'scary
05-07-2015, 01:13 AM
Stringer appeared to be limping around as well in the last quarter.

Rocco Jones
05-07-2015, 01:25 AM
Stringer appeared to be limping around as well in the last quarter.

Isn't he always limping around? That is, when he isn't bursting through packs to kick goal of the year nominations.

Webby
05-07-2015, 01:41 AM

Hate to channel Danny from Droop Street here, but with no Roughie and a great kid in McLean out, next week becomes a 50/50... Gold Coast are clearly a different proposition with G Ablett back in their side...

Next weekend is huge. I can't see us missing finals if we get the chocolates, whilst tend to think we'll miss if we don't.

SlimPickens
05-07-2015, 08:16 AM
Though he did take a couple of nice marks I thought he was ordinary and he also got outmarked several times. Would rather Crameri, or Campbell.

Harsh IMO, thought Jack offered us something. He marked the ball when we needed it and played his role pretty well. Id like to see him stay in the side and see how he goes with Boyd back in.

Outs: Roughead, McLean
Ins: Boyd, Crameri

comrade
05-07-2015, 08:57 AM
Harsh IMO, thought Jack offered us something. He marked the ball when we needed it and played his role pretty well. Id like to see him stay in the side and see how he goes with Boyd back in.

Outs: Roughead, McLean
Ins: Boyd, Crameri

Once the ball hits the ground though, it's good night. A forward line with Boyd AND Redpath is a rebounder's dream.

Thought he took some nice hit up marks at important times but for most of the night, Jamison out positioned him. Especially on the high ball that Boyd normally contests well.

Such a shame that McLean has gone down with what seems like a season ending shoulder. Just have to get him right for the pre season now.

OUT: Redpath, McLean (inj), Morris (inj),

IN: Boyd, Hrovat, Webb

LostDoggy
05-07-2015, 09:53 AM
There is absolutely no point in bringing in Redpath for one week then dropping him, especially when he started playing up the ground and he immediately provided more of a contribution. Dropping him this week would be an admission by the MC that they're simply making it up as they go along.

comrade
05-07-2015, 10:21 AM
There is absolutely no point in bringing in Redpath for one week then dropping him, especially when he started playing up the ground and he immediately provided more of a contribution. Dropping him this week would be an admission by the MC that they're simply making it up as they go along.

Or more like he came in as injury cover, and if Boyd is ready to go, he's not required.

We can't play Boyd, Redpath, Minson and Roughead in the same team.

LostDoggy
05-07-2015, 10:28 AM
Or more like he came in as injury cover, and if Boyd is ready to go, he's not required.

Roughead jarred his back. Can't see him flying to Cairns.

GVGjr
05-07-2015, 10:37 AM

I get the reason behind what you're saying but he was promoted to replace another key forward so if Boyd is available I'd have to think Redpath is surplus to our needs.
If Redpath is to be maintained then it's because Roughead is either returned to the back line or having a spell with an injury.

SlimPickens
05-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Once the ball hits the ground though, it's good night. A forward line with Boyd AND Redpath is a rebounder's dream.

Thought he took some nice hit up marks at important times but for most of the night, Jamison out positioned him. Especially on the high ball that Boyd normally contests well.

Such a shame that McLean has gone down with what seems like a season ending shoulder. Just have to get him right for the pre season now.

OUT: Redpath, McLean (inj), Morris (inj),

IN: Boyd, Hrovat, Webb

Is that any different to when Roughead/Minson are rested forward? If you noticed my outs, I'd suggest we need someone to back up Minson in the ruck so whether it is Boyd or Redpath, the others is needed up forward to provide a marking option because Minson isn't that.

westbulldog
05-07-2015, 12:29 PM
Presumably we gave away an ES game for $ and now have to travel to Cairns. Early forecast for Cairns next Saturday is for a maximum of 26-28C so I wouldn't pick too tall.

Go_Dogs
05-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Out:-
Roughead, McLean, Morris

In:-
Boyd, Hunter, Biggs

Scorlibo
05-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Out: McLean (inj.), Morris (inj.), Roughead (rest)

In: Boyd, Hunter, Webb.

Bulldog Joe
05-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Presumably we gave away an ES game for $ and now have to travel to Cairns. Early forecast for Cairns next Saturday is for a maximum of 26-28C so I wouldn't pick too tall.

The weather in Cairns will not really be a factor.

Kick-off is 4.35 pm and it is dark by about 6.00 pm.

At Kick-off the temperature will have declined to 22/23. I attended last year and needed more warm clothes because of the coolness in the evening at the ground.

Greystache
05-07-2015, 03:27 PM
In- Boyd, Hrovat
Out- Roughead, McLean

I really liked Redpath's game, and Boyd playing deep and switching through the ruck will compliment him. Hrovat is a like for one for the inured McLean.

soupman
05-07-2015, 03:55 PM
Out: Roughead, McLean, Morris

Minson to play most of the game in the ruck with Redpath and Boyd both offering help through there.
Redpath to get an opportunity to play in a forwardline where he isn't the main tall.
Crameri to replace McLean as the high half forward.
Webb to come in down back and help cover the loss of Morris.

I would be tempted to swap Honeychurch for Hrovat but don't see us making four changes. Honey likely to be the sub.

Bulldog Joe
05-07-2015, 04:19 PM
Out: Roughead, McLean, Morris

Minson to play most of the game in the ruck with Redpath and Boyd both offering help through there.
Redpath to get an opportunity to play in a forwardline where he isn't the main tall.
Crameri to replace McLean as the high half forward.
Webb to come in down back and help cover the loss of Morris.

I would be tempted to swap Honeychurch for Hrovat but don't see us making four changes. Honey likely to be the sub.

I like your changes and agree on Honey as the sub. We will need to take an extra as a travelling emergency.
From the Footscray game stats it appears that Biggs, Webb and Prudden all did well and any of those can slot into the defensive area.

boydogs
05-07-2015, 06:13 PM

The Cairns games have been really dewy, not a lot of contested marking. I think Nahas holds the record for the most goals in a game here with 4

Boyd up forward and relieving Minson in the ruck with no Roughead or Redpath should be fine

F'scary
05-07-2015, 09:18 PM
Before we get too down on our team for unimpressive wins, we need to acknowledge that the last two matches have been against teams who have run into good form. The Saints just did the Don's by 110 points. We beat them last week even though they threw the kitchen sink at us. I think it was the same with the Blues last night. They were absolutely primed for a win. We denied them.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2015, 10:09 PM
Bobby said this morning it's likely Magic, Rough and Dale are out. For me I'd like Honey/Dicko given a VFL run.

On something like for like: Boyd, Hrovat, Crameri, Talia

1eyedog
05-07-2015, 10:45 PM
I think we can still just go with Hamling and Roberts although Hamling also got banged up pretty bad, came back on but he'll be sore.

I reckon they're undersized for Lynch and Dixon - need Roughie to pull up ok.

1eyedog
05-07-2015, 10:49 PM
The Cairns games have been really dewy, not a lot of contested marking. I think Nahas holds the record for the most goals in a game here with 4

Boyd up forward and relieving Minson in the ruck with no Roughead or Redpath should be fine

You must be looking forward to this one!

bornadog
05-07-2015, 10:56 PM
I would like to see Crameri back in, our forward line needs him. We were very inexperienced up forward.

Does anyone think The Bont should be back at the VFL to find some form? He is playing in spurts here and there and really having the second year blues?

bulldogtragic
05-07-2015, 11:06 PM
I would like to see Crameri back in, our forward line needs him. We were very inexperienced up forward.

Does anyone think The Bont should be back at the VFL to find some form? He is playing in spurts here and there and really having the second year blues?

Yeah and nah. Smashing VFL Players is good, but so is dealing with heavy tags and working through it.

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-07-2015, 11:56 PM

Our forward line did struggle again and you would like to see Crameri recalled. Hrovat could also return at the expense of Honeychurch who made little impact against the Blues. I would prefer to see Bonti work his way through some average games given his ability, by being retained. Webb would be a likely replacement for the injured McLean who has been very impressive.
In. Webb Crameri Hrovat Tom Boyd
Out. Honeychurch Redpath Morris & McLean, ( both inj.)

Rocco Jones
05-07-2015, 11:59 PM

Yeah and nah. Smashing VFL Players is good, but so is dealing with heavy tags and working through it.

No Griffen and Libba means Bonts is dealing with a lot of attention in just his second year. I don't consider it second year blues, more that his role is now a lot tougher.

Bonts is still clearly in our best 22. If we play him the VFL, it means the tag/extra attention goes to another kid and hey presto, we will see what most view as being 'out of form'. The only reason I would send Bonts back to the VFL is if he isn't doing the right things by the team, which I do not believe to be the case.

Happy Days
06-07-2015, 12:07 AM
In: Crameri, Webb, Boyd

Out: Morris, McLean, Redpath

I really think that Redpath hurt our team structure and limited our ability to score. It's kind of the same pretence under which Minson was dropped earlier in the season; because Redpath can only play one style of forward, it forced Stringer to play as the deep target. Whilst he still hit the scoreboard he is far more dangerous with the room to move that Boyd deep provides him. Redpath was okay but his hit up or bust style just doesn't fit in (plus if I'm being perfectly honest I don't rate him).

If Roughy can't go (I REALLY hope he can - did you guys see Dixon on the weekend?) then bring in Talia.

soupman
06-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Not sure why some are calling for Dickson to be dropped.

He has had a very good season where he has not only reminded us how damaging he can be up forward but has shown an ability to work up the ground to good effect. Even on the weekend in what was one of his worse games, he was still one of the few players that were taking the game on and running with the ball, and if his disposal had of been to his usual high standard would have played a good game.

Why would you drop someone who is a quick forward who can push up the ground, provides run, takes the game on, uses the ball well and is guaranteed to kick at the very least a goal a game if not 4 because he had one match where it didn't quite all come together for him, especially when you are already forced to make as many as 3 changes anyway?

Mofra
06-07-2015, 11:04 AM
Why would you drop someone who is a quick forward who can push up the ground, provides run, takes the game on, uses the ball well and is guaranteed to kick at the very least a goal a game if not 4 because he had one match where it didn't quite all come together for him, especially when you are already forced to make as many as 3 changes anyway?
I agree - he has something our young kids don't. Consistency.
Smart football who works hard and kicks straight. No way I'd be looking to drop him.

always right
06-07-2015, 01:02 PM
In: Crameri, Webb, Boyd

Out: Morris, McLean, Redpath

I really think that Redpath hurt our team structure and limited our ability to score. It's kind of the same pretence under which Minson was dropped earlier in the season; because Redpath can only play one style of forward, it forced Stringer to play as the deep target. Whilst he still hit the scoreboard he is far more dangerous with the room to move that Boyd deep provides him. Redpath was okay but his hit up or bust style just doesn't fit in (plus if I'm being perfectly honest I don't rate him).

If Roughy can't go (I REALLY hope he can - did you guys see Dixon on the weekend?) then bring in Talia.

Jack was unlucky to be dropped after round one, which the coach has acknowledged. can't see him dropping him again after just one game.

Personally I'd like to see Boyd and Redpath crashing the packs as well as the inclusion of Crameri. Reckon Stringer might have a day out as a result.

westbulldog
06-07-2015, 01:42 PM

Kick-off is 4.35 pm and it is dark by about 6.00 pm.

At Kick-off the temperature will have declined to 22/23. I attended last year and needed more warm clothes because of the coolness in the evening at the ground.

thanks for adding that info Bulldog Joe, I didn't realise it was a late start.

Cyberdoggie
06-07-2015, 03:01 PM
In- Boyd, Hrovat
Out- Roughead, McLean

I really liked Redpath's game, and Boyd playing deep and switching through the ruck will compliment him. Hrovat is a like for one for the inured McLean.

I agree, I think Boyd and Redpath are 2 very different types of players and between the 2 of them I think they can be quite potent. They will also free up Stringer a little more.

With Crameri and Roughead most likely out this gives us an opportunity to try the two big guys without being overloaded with talls up forward.

One of Hrovat or Hunter will probably come in for McLean, also leaning towards Hrovat, I think Hunter needs to show more willingness to win his own footy in closer more physically competitive games. Starring in 100 thrashings doesn't really show if he's focussing on improving his game in that area.

mjp
06-07-2015, 03:08 PM

We did earlier in the year and it worked out OK. I don't totally disagree with you about our structure and the relationship it has to forward pressure but I am not sure that the players you name are the culprits at the moment...our smalls simply aren't tackling as much/chasing as hard as they did (and Honeychurch is a prime example).

Rocco Jones
06-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Really tough to pick a 22 for the Suns game. Roughy might not be a great individual player but he really offers great value to the side with his versatility. I really can't see him making the trip to play in Cairns with a sore back.

So that means Morris, McLean and Roughy all out. I think we need to replace Morris and Roughy with one tall defender, so I would bring in Talia. Tom Boyd is back and he can help take the 2nd ruck duties. As much as I've liked Hrovat's couple of games in the VFL, he has played in bursts (completely dominant during these bursts). I think Crameri offers us as much leg work as the small/medium kid options and a target forward. I am loving the kids but really think we need as many senior/mature bodies as possible with the long winter. should go.

I would then also go with Webb in to offer us flexibility as a sub. He can come on as a medium defender for Talia if we are too top heavy or just be another runner. Really don't want to drop either Honeychurch or Redpath but with Crameri back I feel we only need one of them. I think Honeychurch just misses.

In- T.Boyd, Crameri, Talia, Webb.
Out- Roughead, McLean, Morris, Honeychurch

azabob
06-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Did Crameri's VFL form warrant selection for AFL duties? Posters are talking as though he is odds on to come back in.

Rocco Jones
06-07-2015, 03:25 PM
Did Crameri's VFL form warrant selection for AFL duties? Posters are talking as though he is odds on to come back in.

I went to the game. He was OK. I am talking more about the needs of the team. It seems like Beveridge is more about playing a particular style/effort than typical VFL 'bests' form.

azabob
06-07-2015, 03:39 PM
I went to the game. He was OK. I am talking more about the needs of the team. It seems like Beveridge is more about playing a particular style/effort than typical VFL 'bests' form.

Thanks RJ. Agree on Beveridges selection policy.

bornadog
06-07-2015, 03:47 PM
Not sure why some are calling for Dickson to be dropped.

He has had a very good season where he has not only reminded us how damaging he can be up forward but has shown an ability to work up the ground to good effect. Even on the weekend in what was one of his worse games, he was still one of the few players that were taking the game on and running with the ball, and if his disposal had of been to his usual high standard would have played a good game.

He has had some ordinary weeks of football and has only kicked 6 goals in 4 weeks. In those 4 weeks he had one game where he had 7 tackles, but only a few in the other games including nil versus the Saints. He was very ordinary on Saturday, in fact a liability.

Not sure if I would drop him as he has had some good games this year.However, wouldn't be surprised if he was dropped either.

Sedat
06-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Agreed, a very tough selection meeting coming up this week.

What are late afternoons like in Cairns in winter? Is dew a factor as it is in Darwin? From memory it is quite an open stadium and prone to a strong wind advantage to the left of screen. Depending on the elements, we might be able to bring in a Biggs or a Prudden to replace Morris. Boyd would be an automatic inclusion to improve our forward structure and also to provide a chop-out in the ruck. Crameri would also be worth including this week for his gut-running both ways - probably at the expense of an unlucky Redpath for team balance purposes. Not sure that bringing in Cordy or Campbell to replace Roughy would be a wise move TBH - they are first rucks and Minson owns that position at the moment. If Talia is fit to play, he'd need come into calculations as defensive cover for the loss of Morris.

So my ins would be as follows:

In: T Boyd, Talia, Biggs/Prudden, Crameri
Out: Roughy, Morris, McLean, Redpath

Rocco Jones
06-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Agreed, a very tough selection meeting coming up this week.

What are late afternoons like in Cairns in winter? Is dew a factor as it is in Darwin? From memory it is quite an open stadium and prone to a strong wind advantage to the left of screen. Depending on the elements, we might be able to bring in a Biggs or a Prudden to replace Morris. Boyd would be an automatic inclusion under such a scenario to provide a chop-out in the ruck. Crameri would also be a good inclusion this week for his gut-running both ways - probably at the expense of an unlucky Redpath for team balance purposes. Not sure that bringing in Cordy or Campbell to replace Roughy would be a wise move TBH - they are first rucks and Minson owns that position at the moment. if Talia is fit to play, he'd come into calculations.

So my ins would be as follows:

In: T Boyd, Talia, Biggs/Prudden, Crameri
Out: Roughy, Morris, McLean, Redpath

I definitely agree we should not go for another first ruck type.

I think Talia is a must if fit. Really shows the value of verstatile defenders/options like Roughy, Morris and Shaggy in the past. Really hope Hamling can become more an all rounder.

Webb, Prudden, Biggs, Honeychurch, Redpath and Hrovat all pretty much a tie for the final spot. So even.

Ozza
06-07-2015, 04:13 PM
Suggestions of Dickson being dropped....give me strength.

Stats and goals are not a measure of his performance - especially when he is sacrificing his more natural game to help out with our (currently) thin midfield. Beveridge described him as having 'the best 12 possession game' he'd seen v Brisbane because of his pressure and his willing to do sacrificial running.

I would like to see him closer to goal, as it is where he is more suited - but right now he is performing a role as a high half forward and wing focusing on pressure acts - as that is what the coaches see as being where he can help the team most at the moment. There is no way he gets dropped.

Rocco Jones
06-07-2015, 04:14 PM
He has had some ordinary weeks of football and has only kicked 6 goals in 4 weeks. In those 4 weeks he had one game where he had 7 tackles, but only a few in the other games including nil versus the Saints. He was very ordinary on Saturday, in fact a liability.

Not sure if I would drop him as he has had some good games this year.However, wouldn't be surprised if he was dropped either.

I agree he hasn't been as strong as the start of the season but I think he is still clearly in our best 22 and we need as many mature bodies as possible at the moment. I would only have him dropped if he isn't playing to instructions/doing the right things. That does not seem to be the case to me.

Ozza
06-07-2015, 04:25 PM

Not at all. And don't agree he is having second year blues. He is getting a heap of attention, that he would not have gotten should Liberatore or Griffen still been playing and in their absence he is carrying a big load (as is Wal and Dahl) and still getting a good amount of the ball and putting up clearance, tackles and inside 50 numbers that for a second year player are quite outstanding.

And in a more intangible sense, his and Jake Stringer's brilliance at times has often been what has broken up a game for us, even when they hadn't had a big influence prior. Bonti's ability to dish out an unbelievable handball or get a key clearance, or Jake's tendency to kick a miraculous goal from a half-chance is winning us games.

chef
06-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Suggestions of Dickson being dropped....give me strength

It's not going to happen so I wouldn't worry about it.

azabob
06-07-2015, 04:49 PM
The best thing about this thread is we actually have viable options (inform players at VFL) and therefore differing opinions of who should come in for the injured players.

Rocco Jones
06-07-2015, 05:42 PM
I think the 3rd tall defender option will be tricky. Morris and having Roughy there part time/as a back up really is massive. I think we need to play Talia alongside Roberts and Hamling but not sure what what we do when their 2nd ruck isn't forward. We become a bit top heavy. It's like we need the 3rd tall for about 60-70% of the game it that makes sense. That's were having Morris who can play on small or Roughy go into the ruck really adds flexibility. An option would be dropping Redpath and using Roberts as a bit of swingman when T Boyd and their 2nd ruck are rucking.

bornadog
06-07-2015, 05:49 PM
I think the 3rd tall defender option will be tricky. Morris and having Roughy there part time/as a back up really is massive. I think we need to play Talia alongside Roberts and Hamling but not sure what what we do when their 2nd ruck isn't forward. We become a bit top heavy. It's like we need the 3rd tall for about 60-70% of the game it that makes sense. That's were having Morris who can play on small or Roughy go into the ruck really adds flexibility. An option would be dropping Redpath and using Roberts as a bit of swingman when T Boyd and their 2nd ruck are rucking.

I don't think Roughie will play. He had a jarred back so may not not come up.

Rocco Jones
06-07-2015, 05:57 PM
I don't think Roughie will play. He had a jarred back so may not not come up.

Yep me too, that's why I was talking about how much we will miss him (sorry if it was unclear).

It could be an opportunity for Hamling to play a more versatile role.

bornadog
06-07-2015, 06:18 PM
Yep me too, that's why I was talking about how much we will miss him (sorry if it was unclear).

It could be an opportunity for Hamling to play a more versatile role.

I still think Hamling is more of a third tall type. He really looked undersized (strength wise) against the likes of Henderson and Casaboult.

Bulldog4life
06-07-2015, 06:24 PM
I still think Hamling is more of a third tall type. He really looked undersized (strength wise) against the likes of Henderson and Casaboult.

In a recent interview he said that he prefers to play on the small to medium forwards

Greystache
06-07-2015, 06:30 PM
Suggestions of Dickson being dropped....give me strength.

Stats and goals are not a measure of his performance - especially when he is sacrificing his more natural game to help out with our (currently) thin midfield. Beveridge described him as having 'the best 12 possession game' he'd seen v Brisbane because of his pressure and his willing to do sacrificial running.

I would like to see him closer to goal, as it is where he is more suited - but right now he is performing a role as a high half forward and wing focusing on pressure acts - as that is what the coaches see as being where he can help the team most at the moment. There is no way he gets dropped.

He has to justify not being dropped every single week for some, that's just how it is for some people's favourite scapegoat. Only Stringer has kicked more goals this season, despite Dickson regularly playing through the midfield, and his tackle and defensive numbers are better than some players who get credit for their defensive efforts. 4 goals in his last 3 games and 9 in his last 5 as a midfielder and still has people calling for his head.

There's some players on the list who if they put up even remotely near Dickson's numbers there'd be a thread demanding they be given a 5 year contract and another debating his chances for All Australian.

Maddog37
06-07-2015, 06:54 PM

He did ok though didn't he?

Axe Man
06-07-2015, 07:06 PM
Roughead and Morris both a chance to play apparently. McLean and Honeychurch out and Hrovat won't be available to return.

Surgery not required for Morris (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-07-06/no-surgery-for-morris)

Dale Morris will not require surgery for a fracture to his jawbone following scans taken of the Bulldogs veteran defender on Monday

Ahead of the Bulldogs’ Saturday twilight match against the Gold Coast Suns, Morris along with vice-captain Jordan Roughead have received encouraging news after both suffered injuries in Saturday’s 11-point win over the Blues.

Roughead will be closely monitored during the week with an eye to making the trip north after being substituted out of Saturday’s win with back spasms at half time.

“Jordan had a jarring incident landing from a jump, it created some quite significant back spasm,” Bulldogs General Manager of Football Graham Lowe said.

“We worked with him to try and free him up, but at half time we decided the right decision was to sub him out of the game.”

“He’s come in well this week, our plan is to monitor him, prepare him from a training perspective, and give him every opportunity to play.”

Morris will be closely monitored this week on the training track, after initial fears the prognosis may be worse.

The veteran defender is just two games shy of his 200 match milestone.

“What we’ve discovered since is that he has a slight fracture to his jaw bone,” Lowe said.

“On a positive note, there’s no surgical intervention required, but we’re certainly going to monitor and assess how he travels during the week.”

The news is not as good for Toby McLean, with scans revealing he will require surgery to repair damage to the AC joint in his left shoulder.

McLean injured his shoulder in tackle in the closing minutes of the match, after being tackled by Carlton’s Dylan Buckley, and is expected to spend at least the next six weeks on the sideline.

Also set for short stints on the sidelines are midfield/forwards Mitch Honeychurch and Nathan Hrovat.

Honeychurch is expected to spend the next two weeks out of action, after heavy contact to his lower back during the course Saturday’s match with the Blues, which caused bruising and subsequent muscles spasms.

Meanwhile, midfielder Nathan Hrovat suffered a minor hamstring injury in Saturday afternoon’s 103-point VFL win over the Northern Blues, and is expected to spend one to two weeks on the sidelines recovering.

soupman
06-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Could provide an opportunity for one of Prudden, Biggs or Hunter.

Remi Moses
06-07-2015, 07:51 PM
I'd have Prudden and Hunter in for Mcclean and honeychurch
Hrovat's injury must be slight as he didn't even have any ice in the hammy Saturday

Remi Moses
06-07-2015, 07:53 PM
Just a side note I thought that was pretty average what Buckley did on Saturday.
Fair to say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree there.:mad:

azabob
06-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Just a side note I thought that was pretty average what Buckley did on Saturday.

What is the go with Buckley's old man? When i told my dad who the carlton player was he got stuck into both of them.

josie
06-07-2015, 08:03 PM
Could provide an opportunity for one of Prudden, Biggs or Hunter.

With Honeychurch out, I would like to see Prudden get a chance, however I think it will be Crameri - who is a really good in. Prudden is not quick but smart and bravery/effort 100% - plus a good inside midfielder and flexibility to go backline. I'd prefer Webb to have another go rather than Biggs as I think his disposal is superior, however I understand if MC think Biggs should have another go too. I do not think Hunter has earned recall yet.

Hamling ok? - that was a hell of a landing on his back, a brave boy to come back on.

Crameri and TBoyd if fit are straight in, as well as Big Red to have another crack (Redpath & TBoyd can help Minson in ruck).

My thoughts on changes:
TBoyd in for Roughy (I'm guessing MC will play it safe and give him weeks rest)
Crameri in for Honeychurch
Webb or Biggs in for Morris if Morris's jaw not ok
Talia in if Hamling not ok

bornadog
06-07-2015, 09:18 PM
He has to justify not being dropped every single week for some, that's just how it is for some people's favourite scapegoat. Only Stringer has kicked more goals this season, despite Dickson regularly playing through the midfield, and his tackle and defensive numbers are better than some players who get credit for their defensive efforts. 4 goals in his last 3 games and 9 in his last 5 as a midfielder and still has people calling for his head.

There's some players on the list who if they put up even remotely near Dickson's numbers there'd be a thread demanding they be given a 5 year contract and another debating his chances for All Australian.

He has had a great season, but the last few weeks have not been good and had a real hollower on Saturday and that is why some are calling for him to go back and find some form.

FWIW, I think he should be in this week, but needs to lift.

Hotdog60
06-07-2015, 09:27 PM
The thing with Dickson is that he is the only one in the team at the moment that runs at an opponent with any intent.
Maybe the skills are a bit off because his buggered. At one stage during the game he busted a gut running and I think it ended in a goal went to the bench for a quick rest and was told to stay on.

G-Mo77
06-07-2015, 09:32 PM
I asked this in the injury thread, figured it's get more traffic here.

Maybe we could elevate Smith? For the regular VFL watchers has he done enough for a selection? From what I have seen I think he's close. Disposal still a little questionable at times but he's not far off.

GVGjr
06-07-2015, 09:34 PM

Maybe we could elevate Smith? For the regular VFL watchers has he done enough for a selection? From what I have seen I think he's close. Disposal still a little questionable at times but he's not far off.

I couldn't promote him based on what I've seen but he's done very well. To me he is a defender and we have a few other options.

Hotdog60
06-07-2015, 09:35 PM

I saw you post and was thinking of a response, the only thing is being interstate limits your opinion. But in saying that there has been nothing but positive things written and said about Smith. I would like to see him get a go. The odd video I have seen he looks a player.

G-Mo77
06-07-2015, 09:53 PM
I couldn't promote him based on what I've seen but he's done very well. To me he is a defender and we have a few other options.

He reminds me of Wood in some ways. Obviously not at that level yet but the athleticism, strong overhead marking and run and carry are similar traits.

I saw you post and was thinking of a response, the only thing is being interstate limits your opinion. But in saying that there has been nothing but positive things written and said about Smith. I would like to see him get a go. The odd video I have seen he looks a player.

I live in Bendigo HD60. :)

He's played every game I've watched weather it be live, telecast or online stream/highlights. I'm pretty high on him from what I've seen but it's not anywhere near as much as others. I'd love to see him get a go but as GVG said there are a few ahead of him. I think he'll make it, we've got a player there.

boydogs
06-07-2015, 10:04 PM
What are late afternoons like in Cairns in winter? Is dew a factor as it is in Darwin?

Yes. Dew will be the biggest difference for the players compared to Melbourne games. It's not overly hot where cool rooms at half time are needed but ball handling can be an issue like in wet weather games. You're better off marking the ball on your chest than taking it in your hands so you need more separation from your opponent to take a clean mark and there are not as many contested marks

From memory it is quite an open stadium and prone to a strong wind advantage to the left of screen.

Spot on. You need to keep your passes and shots on goal low into the breeze, like Redpath's goal in the first quarter last year. Going long with the wind can work well, as you don't need the ball to go through as many hands as with short passes which are prone to fumbling. I'm expecting a game similar to our first preseason match at Whitten Oval where the team kicking against the breeze is more concerned with defending than scoring

LostDoggy
06-07-2015, 10:52 PM

Not to mention the fact he's the most accurate set shot in the league in a team that has been spraying plenty.

LostDoggy
07-07-2015, 08:10 AM
With Honeychurch out, I would like to see Prudden get a chance, however I think it will be Crameri - who is a really good in. Prudden is not quick but smart and bravery/effort 100% - plus a good inside midfielder and flexibility to go backline. I'd prefer Webb to have another go rather than Biggs as I think his disposal is superior, however I understand if MC think Biggs should have another go too. I do not think Hunter has earned recall yet.

Hamling ok? - that was a hell of a landing on his back, a brave boy to come back on.

Crameri and TBoyd if fit are straight in, as well as Big Red to have another crack (Redpath & TBoyd can help Minson in ruck).

My thoughts on changes:
TBoyd in for Roughy (I'm guessing MC will play it safe and give him weeks rest)
Crameri in for Honeychurch
Webb or Biggs in for Morris if Morris's jaw not ok
Talia in if Hamling not ok

I think Hamlings looked worse then what it was, just had the air knocked out of his lungs

JohnGentStand
07-07-2015, 03:34 PM
ins: Boyd, Hunter,

Outs, Maclean, Honeychurch,

Crameri in if Roughy doesnt get up.
Webb in if Morris is out... Talia = hamling...

Cyberdoggie
07-07-2015, 03:40 PM
I thought Dickson looked a little slower than his usual pace recently. Perhaps he's carrying a niggle or two.

Did have the inside 50's for the team (7), not counting how effective they were.

I think he's an important element to the side and will be back to his best before long.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Caroline Wilson reporting that GC may rest Bennell another week and that he and Dixon are sure to be moved on next year. Such unrest can work both ways and maybe last week was the release valve that took the pressure off an underperforming team. Who knows what performance they'll bring this week? T. Boyd and Crameri should come in to help out Stringer. What a performance by Abblett last week, do we tag him with Picken or not?

Remi Moses
07-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Going to be interesting with Ablett.
Just wondering how he'll pull up second up.(hoping)

Drunken Bum
07-07-2015, 06:05 PM

What is the go with Buckley's old man? When i told my dad who the carlton player was he got stuck into both of them.

When i was maybe 14 or 15 so mid 80's we had a rare win at the time at princess park against carlscum and i ran on the ground after the game as you did in those days with my doggies flag held high, now mind you i was always a hell of a lot shorter than everyone my age so prob the size of most 12yr olds too, ran past hunter and he grabbed the flag and ripped it off the pole. after i stopped to pick the flag back up i put on a bit of a burst and "accidentally" put the now flagless pole between his legs as he was jogging off then proceeded to piss bolt to the gathering crowd at the Dogs race as he went face first into the princess park mud :D The old memory isn't what it used to be and not sure if i actually did or i have embellished it my my mind since but i'm pretty sure i gave him a gob full as well, at least i like to think i did

Many years later when i was maybe 25 or so he was speaking at a function at our local club and one of my mates that i had told the story told him and brought him over, he bought me a beer but still came across as an arrogant prick even when he was i guess trying to be nice.

BulldogBelle
07-07-2015, 07:08 PM
When i was maybe 14 or 15 so mid 80's we had a rare win at the time at princess park against carlscum and i ran on the ground after the game as you did in those days with my doggies flag held high, now mind you i was always a hell of a lot shorter than everyone my age so prob the size of most 12yr olds too, ran past hunter and he grabbed the flag and ripped it off the pole. after i stopped to pick the flag back up i put on a bit of a burst and "accidentally" put the now flagless pole between his legs as he was jogging off then proceeded to piss bolt to the gathering crowd at the Dogs race as he went face first into the princess park mud :D The old memory isn't what it used to be and not sure if i actually did or i have embellished it my my mind since but i'm pretty sure i gave him a gob full as well, at least i like to think i did

Many years later when i was maybe 25 or so he was speaking at a function at our local club and one of my mates that i had told the story told him and brought him over, he bought me a beer but still came across as an arrogant prick even when he was i guess trying to be nice.

l am sure you did it.
Stick with the story, l love it!

Remi Moses
07-07-2015, 08:24 PM

Buckley was a sniper ( good footballer)added in a dodgy off field driving indiscretion.
Carlton players and the wrong side of the law were common friends

boydogs
07-07-2015, 09:28 PM
What a performance by Abblett last week, do we tag him with Picken or not?

Yeah I would, he's still got his nouse and skills but he's looking decidedly fragile. A few big tackles early and he might struggle to get into it

Webby
07-07-2015, 09:57 PM
Buckley was a sniper ( good footballer)added in a dodgy off field driving indiscretion.
Carlton players and the wrong side of the law were common friends

Buckley Snr is absolutely despised in some quarters for having smashed his car into a taxi and killing a bookie's clerk from Camberwell named Peter Cunningham in 1983. It was after a heavy night at Moonee Valley Racecourse the Tuesday after they'd beaten us at Princes Park.

Ironically, both men had been to the same event at MVRC. Cruelly, the bloke who did the right thing and got a taxi home from the event died. The one who had a few too many, drove and killed him (and injured several others) escaped jail. At that stage, Carlton were reigning back-to-back VFL Premiers. Carlton were the most powerful and connected club in the country.

I remember when Buckley got off, thinking "Geez, Carlton players can get away with anything!" He actually played the following Saturday and played some good footy for the remainder of the year.

There was a sense of disgust and injustice all over town and Buckley was widely booed for the rest of his career. Pretty unfair if that's rubbing off on young Dylan, but it probably explains Azabob's dad's attitude towards Buckley Snr.

Twodogs
07-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Buckley Snr is absolutely despised in some quarters for having smashed his car into a taxi and killing a bookie's clerk from Camberwell named Peter Cunningham in 1983. It was after a heavy night at Moonee Valley Racecourse the Tuesday after they'd beaten us at Princes Park.

Ironically, both men had been to the same event at MVRC. Cruelly, the bloke who did the right thing and got a taxi home from the event died. The one who had a few too many, drove and killed him (and injured several others) escaped jail. At that stage, Carlton were reigning back-to-back VFL Premiers. Carlton were the most powerful and connected club in the country.

I remember when Buckley got off, thinking "Geez, Carlton players can get away with anything!" He actually played the following Saturday and played some good footy for the remainder of the year.

There was a sense of disgust and injustice all over town and Buckley was widely booed for the rest of his career. Pretty unfair if that's rubbing off on young Dylan, but it probably explains Azabob's dad's attitude towards Buckley Snr.

I think the racing writer Rollo Rollance was in one of the vehicles too and was badly injured.

bornadog
08-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Rumour - Josh Prudden to Debut?

Happy Days
08-07-2015, 05:11 PM

Where from BAD?

Remi Moses
08-07-2015, 05:16 PM

Thanks Webby . I vaguely remembered the incident, and it wasn't the only time someone from Caaaaarlton broke the law.
Former captain coach ruckman springs to mind.

G-Mo77
08-07-2015, 05:27 PM
Apparently Hamling and Roughy did very little work on the track. Morris looks like he'll play.

bornadog
08-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Where from BAD?

through Twitter, one of his mates

Twodogs
08-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Thanks Webby . I vaguely remembered the incident, and it wasn't the only time someone from Caaaaarlton broke the law.
Former captain coach ruckman springs to mind.

He genuinly thought those cars all belonged to him.

azabob
08-07-2015, 08:03 PM

Mark Stevens had also confirmed over Twitter.

chef
08-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Mark Stevens had also confirmed over Twitter.

And on TV.

boydogs
08-07-2015, 08:22 PM
http://puu.sh/iRoY0/b0ad832394.png

http://puu.sh/iRoX9/a1d45884a7.png

F'scary
08-07-2015, 08:31 PM
Prudden in for McLean, it seems.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-07-2015, 10:34 PM
Time to see if he can play at the top level.

Huge bonus for the club if he can. I have my doubts though - thought he was very slow in the NAB game - but best of luck to him. We really could do with another hard mid, especially at this point of the year.

LostDoggy
09-07-2015, 09:52 AM
Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL 6m6 minutes ago
Roughead, McLean, Honeychurch won't fly, Hamling unlikely ... Big Ayce back as cover? Crameri? Tom Boyd, I'm told, still sore.

bornadog
09-07-2015, 10:02 AM
Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL 6m6 minutes ago
Roughead, McLean, Honeychurch won't fly, Hamling unlikely ... Big Ayce back as cover? Crameri? Tom Boyd, I'm told, still sore.

Not good with 4 or 5 changes looming.

azabob
09-07-2015, 10:05 AM
Shock horror! Perfect Storm brewing in Cairns. Injuries to key players, Ablett returns and so does then Suns form.

On the positive we will certainly be under know illusions where out depth sits.

#ihavefaith

#bemorebulldog

G-Mo77
09-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Just read that. I read yesterday that Hamling hardly trained and figured he could be a scratching. Morris looks like an in so do we play him big or go with Talia?

bornadog
09-07-2015, 10:12 AM
Just read that. I read yesterday that Hamling hardly trained and figured he could be a scratching. Morris looks like an in so do we play him big or go with Talia?

I prefer to play Talia than Morris tall. He has lost some of his leap and will struggle against some of the young talls at the Suns.

G-Mo77
09-07-2015, 10:43 AM
I prefer to play Talia than Morris tall. He has lost some of his leap and will struggle against some of the young talls at the Suns.

Yeah thinking that way as well. Lynch is a big boy and so is Dixon Talia/Roberts seems like a better fit.

G-Mo77
09-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Western Bulldogs ‏@westernbulldogs
Bevo has also confirmed Tom Boyd, Lach Hunter and Michael Talia will also make the trip north to Cairns. #bemorebulldog

The Underdog
09-07-2015, 11:30 AM
I'll feel a heap better about Roughy out if Boyd's in. Talia for Hamling is fine especially if Morris plays. Prudden and Hunter for McLean and Honey works. Interested that there's no mention of Crameri, although I think he probably has to be a swap for Redpath for balance, so if Jack stays in then Stew probably stays out.

bornadog
09-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Western Bulldogs ‏@westernbulldogs
Bevo has also confirmed Tom Boyd, Lach Hunter and Michael Talia will also make the trip north to Cairns. #bemorebulldog

Stevo tweeted Boyd is still sore. Maybe he has to pass a fitness test.

bornadog
09-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Roughead out, Morris to face Suns with a fractured jaw (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-09/roughead-out-morris-to-face-suns-with-a-fractured-jaw?utm_medium=RSS)

WESTERN Bulldogs vice-captain Jordan Roughead will miss Saturday's clash against Gold Coast at Cazaly Stadium, while veteran defender Dale Morris will play with a fractured jaw.

Roughead hasn't recovered from the back spasms that plagued him during last Saturday night's win over Carlton, and was a notable absentee when his teammates flew out to Cairns on Thursday morning.

"He's pulled up a bit sore," coach Luke Beveridge told reporters at Melbourne Airport.

"We had to sub him out of the game at half-time last week. It'll take him a good week to get over it so he won't play."

Despite a small fracture in his jaw, Morris has been cleared to face the Suns, and won't wear any protective gear.

Beveridge said the 198-game veteran wasn't in any pain and playing wouldn't risk any further damage.

"It was an innocuous incident, [he] just copped a knee," Beveridge said.

"It's a strange fracture in that there is no impediment to what he's doing with the way he speaks or eats. As much as I lauded his courage last week, it's just a little speed hump and he'll be fine to play.

"We've had medical clearance and there's no real risk there. We all know the head is sacrosanct in the game but it's minimal risk and he'll be fine."

Roughead is one of three Bulldogs forced out of the side with injury.

Mitch Honeychurch (back), Toby McLean (shoulder) and Joel Hamling will miss the game against the Suns.

Defender Michael Talia has been recalled after spending six weeks in the VFL to replace Roughead, while highly prized recruit Tom Boyd returns to the side after missing last Saturday's won over Carlton with knee soreness.

Lachie Hunter's impressive VFL form has earned him a place back in the side.

Young midfielder Josh Prudden will make his long awaited senior debut after a horror run with injury over the past two seasons.

The 20-year-old's first year at the club in 2013 as marred by an ankle injury, while a knee injury restricted him to just four games in the VFL last season.

"Josh has had some injury concerns for a period of time and it's a real credit to him. He's persisted so that's fantastic that we've got another first gamer, " Beveridge said.

bornadog
09-07-2015, 11:41 AM
So looks like

Out: Roughead, Hamling, McLean, Honeychurch

In: Prudden, Talia, Hunter and TBoyd

Bulldog4life
09-07-2015, 11:44 AM
So looks like

Wonder who will be in if Boyd doesn't come up? Crameri?

Rocco Jones
09-07-2015, 12:15 PM
Wonder who will be in if Boyd doesn't come up? Crameri?

I am guessing that Crameri and Ayce have/will fly up as cover.

stefoid
09-07-2015, 12:23 PM
So looks like

Good outs and good ins. Is this what they call 'depth'?

Happy Days
09-07-2015, 12:27 PM
So looks like

Oh man Dixon is going to kick so many goals :(

Maddog37
09-07-2015, 12:46 PM
The boys will go up there and get some vitamin d and play out of their skins. Suns will be on the come down from last weeks emotion. Win for us by 40 points plus

bornadog
09-07-2015, 12:49 PM

Gotta stop their mids feeding him. Abletttttttttttttt

Cyberdoggie
09-07-2015, 02:01 PM
Gotta stop their mids feeding him. Abletttttttttttttt
Could be a good week to bring Ablett into your AFL fantasy/supercoach side. Bevo hasn't really tagged anyone yet this year so Gary may rack up the disposals.

Cyberdoggie
09-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Good to see another first gamer in Josh Prudden come in, congrats to him.
By my count that is 6 first game players this year so far, and they have all deserved games.

Interesting to see where they will play Prudden, he's been playing off the half back flank this year as a small to mid sized matchup and we Bob, Boyd, JJ and Wood already there. Seems he's coming in to replace Toby Mclean so there may be some re-shuffling going on.

G-Mo77
09-07-2015, 02:11 PM
Could be a good week to bring Ablett into your AFL fantasy/supercoach side. Bevo hasn't really tagged anyone yet this year so Gary may rack up the disposals.

I'm waiting him out at least one more week, maybe 2.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Good outs and good ins. Is this what they call 'depth'?

Roughy Hamling and McLean are big losses and have weakened our line up with Prudden Talia and Hunter all needing to establish or re-establish themselves as good enough to compete at senior level.

bornadog
09-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Still no Crameri????

Twodogs
09-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Still no Crameri????

He was cruising around doing just enough a couple weeks ago for Footscray and I wouldn't have promoted him on what he showed that day. I didn't see last weeks game.

always right
09-07-2015, 05:49 PM

Why? Last year when we beat them in cairns, Morris took him to the cleaners. This year we still have Morris and Roberts has really stepped up to be Dixon's likely opponent.

Hotdog60
09-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Bevo said Talia may take Dixon at times, I think it will get shared around.
Roberts may go CHB to be a target on the kick ins.

Happy Days
09-07-2015, 06:42 PM
Why? Last year when we beat them in cairns, Morris took him to the cleaners. This year we still have Morris and Roberts has really stepped up to be Dixon's likely opponent.

He kicked 3 goals in what was largely a one-sided beatdown, in a Suns side that was far worse than the one we will play on the weekend (re: no Ablett).

I still think he is just too damn big for Dale, he of the 8-week injury and minor jaw fracture. I'd feel more comfortable with Roughy in the side.

bulldogtragic
09-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Ins: Talia, Hunter, Boyd Prudden

Outs: Honey, Roughy, Magic, Hamling - All injured

Surprised Crameri has to wait another. Hunter better do something, anything, this time.

Bulldog4life
09-07-2015, 07:44 PM

Surprised Crameri has to wait another. Hunter better do something, anything, this time.

Any idea who the travelling emegency is BT?

LostDoggy
09-07-2015, 08:01 PM
Will Energizer Bunny get a full game this week or be the sub again?
Maybe Prudden or Hunter as sub this week?

bulldogtragic
09-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Any idea who the travelling emegency is BT?

Ayce, Webb and Dale are the emergencies. So probably Webb or Dale.

LostDoggy
09-07-2015, 08:11 PM
Good to see Redders stay in with Boyd back in the side.
Looking forward to seeing what this dynamic brings to our forward structure and potential if Redders can clunk a few and hit the scoreboard.
Twin Towers!? :o

Rocco Jones
Ayce, Webb and Dale are the emergencies. So probably Webb or Dale.

I have a feeling they will take two emergencies with a bit of doubt over Tom Boyd. My call is Webb and Ayce, with Dale getting a full game in the VFL after coming off at HT to be on standby.

comrade
Declan Hamilton is up there. Saw a pic of him with the group.

Bulldog4life
09-07-2015, 08:17 PM
Declan Hamilton is up there. Saw a pic of him with the group.

Not named in VFL side either

comrade
09-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Not named in VFL side either

No Webb, either.

1eyedog
09-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Will it be really dewy (slippery)? I wonder what impact Boyd and Redpath will have in the conditions. Interesting venue to bring them both in for the first time. Maybe one ground player short.

F'scary
09-07-2015, 08:37 PM
No Webb, either.

Morris is a tentative selection, perhaps?

comrade
09-07-2015, 08:47 PM
Will it be really dewy (slippery)? I wonder what impact Boyd and Redpath will have in the conditions. Interesting venue to bring them both in for the first time. Maybe one ground player short.

Both will be required to spend some time in the ruck but I'd rather not have Boyd and Red in the same team.

Redpath out for Crameri would have been my pick but hey, I'll back in the coaching staff that has gotten us a game clear in the 8.

F'scary
09-07-2015, 08:55 PM

Golden Shower Coast have selected a pretty tall team. Might not suit the conditions, fingers crossed.

Hotdog60
09-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Could the Men of Mayhem be released this weekend.
The reason I ask is that Rocket isn't an overly defensive coach and it may end up a free flowing game.

Greystache
09-07-2015, 11:08 PM
Could the Men of Mayhem be released this weekend.
The reason I ask is that Rocket isn't an overly defensive coach and it may end up a free flowing game.

You'd hope so. Gold Coast is tailor made to fall apart under manic pressure. They crave time and space to play on into and then don't defend on the rebound. If we can bring the intensity they won't be in the game.

Remi Moses
09-07-2015, 11:53 PM
Yep^^
Bring the intensity especially against this opponent .

BornInDroopSt'54
10-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Go Dogs!
Big game in the history of the club.
We are taking up a raft of players to a strange football land far away against a resurgent, highly talented team with a despicable foundation as an expansion (read "stolen generation") club. We have stars on the sidelines and a baby team led by resurgent senior players. The youngsters will have to be gladiators here on in but we have the opportunity to consolidate in the eight so hopefully we can move the football with fast waves to our potent and tall forward line.

The Pie Man
10-07-2015, 12:54 PM

Would this be more of any issue in the 2nd half perhaps? It is a late afternoon start, so if the weather holds up ('possible' shower is the forecast) the 1st half at least may be where you can see cleaner hands.

1eyedog
10-07-2015, 02:08 PM
Would this be more of any issue in the 2nd half perhaps? It is a late afternoon start, so if the weather holds up ('possible' shower is the forecast) the 1st half at least may be where you can see cleaner hands.

Yes that's true. I remember previous games (Gold Coast against Richmond) where it pretty much played like a wet weather match. I guess around 6-7 pm the dew sets in at which time we will be deep in the game and hopefully a few goals up.

Rocco Jones
10-07-2015, 02:17 PM
Both will be required to spend some time in the ruck but I'd rather not have Boyd and Red in the same team.

Redpath out for Crameri would have been my pick but hey, I'll back in the coaching staff that has gotten us a game clear in the 8.

I get what you mean, I see Crameri as more 'best 22' than Redpath, however I see this one fitting Bevo's 'greater good' kind of ethos.

Mantis
10-07-2015, 02:52 PM
Go Dogs!
Big game in the history of the club.
We are taking up a raft of players to a strange football land far away against a resurgent, highly talented team with a despicable foundation as an expansion (read "stolen generation") club. We have stars on the sidelines and a baby team led by resurgent senior players. The youngsters will have to be gladiators here on in but we have the opportunity to consolidate in the eight so hopefully we can move the football with fast waves to our potent and tall forward line.

Not sure this is correct.. A game pitting 7th v 17th is hardly going to be a club defining game.

Remi Moses
10-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Reckon the team's a little top heavy with Redpath and Boyd in it .
Reasonably " big" Suns team as well

bornadog
10-07-2015, 03:07 PM
Reckon the team's a little top heavy with Redpath and Boyd in it .
Reasonably " big" Suns team as well

Don't agree, it's no bigger than previous weeks, with Roughie out.

Rocco Jones
10-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Not sure this is correct.. A game pitting 7th v 17th is hardly going to be a club defining game.

Yep. How we cope with a young list over the season changing a finals spot will be defining, but that's every week. After the Sun, we play the Cats in an 'eight points' kind of game on their turf...pretty defining! Next up could be a huge game to get a home semi vs Collingwood. I think we have forgotten how winning makes games important.

Rocco Jones
10-07-2015, 03:23 PM

I think 'top heavy' is overused/misunderstood. It's more lack of mobility/quality than height per se. We must play at least one tall forward IMO for the contest/providing an 'out' and Tom Boyd is that. Thing is, short term Tom offers little more than that most games (absolutely cool with that) and combine that with risk of Redpath being burnt off the rebound, we can easily get exposed. Don't get me wrong, I like the call in a bigger picture way but T Boyd + Redpath may really hurt us tomorrow and the game in isolation, I'd probably prefer Crameri.

Ironically, the better Tom Boyd gets, the easier it may be for Redpath to get regular games.

Sedat
10-07-2015, 03:35 PM
I like the ins, shows we have some depth at the club. I also echo the sentiments of those who aren't too keen on seeing Redders and Boyd in the same forward line with Minson rucking - we should only be carrying 2 of those 3 in any given week.

Dixon doesn't worry me too much - our defensive work as a collective group has been outstanding in recent weeks, even with our midfield not pulling their collective weight in that time. If our mids can fire and dominate clearances and CP's, we should be able to comfortably restrict GC from kicking a winning score.

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-07-2015, 03:45 PM
I think 'top heavy' is overused/misunderstood. It's more lack of mobility/quality than height per se. We must play at least one tall forward IMO for the contest/providing an 'out' and Tom Boyd is that. Thing is, short term Tom offers little more than that most games (absolutely cool with that) and combine that with risk of Redpath being burnt off the rebound, we can easily get exposed. Don't get me wrong, I like the call in a bigger picture way but T Boyd + Redpath may really hurt us tomorrow and the game in isolation, I'd probably prefer Crameri.

Ironically, the better Tom Boyd gets, the easier it may be for Redpath to get regular games.
Without Roughead you would hope to see Tom Boyd step up into the ruck as support to Minson.
Redpath's appeal is as a leading forward although not kicking a goal last week did mark well overhead. Stringer Dahlhaus and Dickson become important as goal kicking forwards . It is disappointing to see Crameri who was our leading goalkicker last year out of the side. His absence puts extra pressure on others to kick a winning score.

Rocco Jones
10-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Without Roughead you would hope to see Tom Boyd step up into the ruck as support to Minson.
Redpath's appeal is as a leading forward although not kicking a goal last week did mark well overhead. Stringer Dahlhaus and Dickson become important as goal kicking forwards . It is disappointing to see Crameri who was our leading goalkicker last year out of the side. His absence puts extra pressure on others to kick a winning score.

Yeah I do like Redpath on the lead, just concerned about the part where the ball hits the ground. Once again, don't get me wrong, I like him and I am fully behind giving him a crack.

Tom Boyd will probably be in the ruck for about 15% of game time, so the majority of the time we will have Redders and Tom forward together. As you allude to, they are different types of forwards so that is a good thing. Just concerned they are both so limited.

bornadog
10-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Yeah I do like Redpath on the lead, just concerned about the part where the ball hits the ground. Once again, don't get me wrong, I like him and I am fully behind giving him a crack.

Tom Boyd will probably be in the ruck for about 15% of game time, so the majority of the time we will have Redders and Tom forward together. As you allude to, they are different types of forwards so that is a good thing. Just concerned they are both so limited.

My point is what is the difference between this week and the previous 12? WE have had Roughie in the ruck and Minson and Boyd at FF, or Roughie in the forward line.

I know you don't like it, but I was responding to Remie who thinks this week we are too top heavy and we are no different than the other weeks, which has netted us 8 wins.

Rocco Jones
10-07-2015, 04:35 PM
My point is what is the difference between this week and the previous 12? WE have had Roughie in the ruck and Minson and Boyd at FF, or Roughie in the forward line.

I know you don't like it, but I was responding to Remie who thinks this week we are too top heavy and we are no different than the other weeks, which has netted us 8 wins.

The difference is, Roughy offers us way more flexibility than Redpath. Roughy can play in the backline and also take the 1st ruck duties allowing us to sub Will for a runner.

I never said I didn't like it BAD, I am actually for it. We cannot play Roughy, he is injured, so it's not about him being as good. My only point is discussing the risk/drawback.

Remi Moses
10-07-2015, 06:34 PM

Probably more along the lines that the forward half is too top heavy.
In particular in windy conditions

Remi Moses
10-07-2015, 06:37 PM
The difference is, Roughy offers us way more flexibility than Redpath. Roughy can play in the backline and also take the 1st ruck duties allowing us to sub Will for a runner.

I never said I didn't like it BAD, I am actually for it. We cannot play Roughy, he is injured, so it's not about him being as good. My only point is discussing the risk/drawback.

Yep. The conditions being windy also means the ball will be on the ground more often.
Redpath offers more as a forward than Roughy, but Roughy offers more as a key back and ruck option .
I would have played Crameri, personally .

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-07-2015, 06:47 PM
Probably more along the lines that the forward half is too top heavy.
In particular in windy conditions

We do lack a crumbing forward goal sneak with Hrovat and Honeychurch yet to establish themselves. Hunter for the same reason has been inconsistent in the past. Caleb Daniel on last week's form looks the most likely. We rely very heavily on Stringer to provide the X factor in attack together with Dahlhaus who has enjoyed a good season. Dickson also has been pretty consistent this year and does know how to kick a goal.

Bulldog4life
10-07-2015, 07:41 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/bulldogstv/latest-videos/press-conferences

A blast from the past! Clicked on to listen to Monty re Cairns game and Macca comes on, Strange

bornadog
10-07-2015, 10:17 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/bulldogstv/latest-videos/press-conferences

A blast from the past! Clicked on to listen to Monty re Cairns game and Macca comes on, Strange

Glad I don't have to listen to those anymore.

Bulldog4life
10-07-2015, 11:51 PM
Glad I don't have to listen to those anymore.

Bet you clicked on the link though:)

BornInDroopSt'54
11-07-2015, 11:40 AM

If we win this it goes a long way to putting us in the finals. This gives the youngsters finals experience.
This is potentially one of the best group of young players we've ever had and with finals experience this year, collectively launches them off as a young team. Reciprocally we may not make it and this group may not ever fulfill it's promise, as we Bulldogs supporters know too well.

However this game tonight is very much a litmus test and a stepping stone to finals experience. Doubt not Mantis, it's a big moment for the club, as is every game for the rest of the season. The future is unfolding.

GVGjr
11-07-2015, 11:44 AM
If we win this it goes a long way to putting us in the finals. This gives the youngsters finals finals experience. This is potentially one of the best group of young players we've ever had and with finals experience this year, collectively launches them off as a young team. Reciprocally we may not make it and this group may not ever fulfill it's promise, as we Bulldogs supporters know too well.

Tend to agree, the game might not be a great spectacle but if we are to get the win it opens up a lot of opportunities for us especially with a few players coming back from injuries. If we end up with 9 wins and 5 losses for the season after today's game it will be a significant result.

Eastdog
11-07-2015, 03:28 PM

Quite good ins. Not really surprised to see Honeychurch out. Great to have Talia and Boyd back into the side. Hopefully Hunter can show something and good luck to another debutant in Josh Prudden.

Remi Moses
11-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Going to make a prediction.
Any danger of a game breaking out, or is it the Gary Ablett show?

Eastdog
11-07-2015, 04:35 PM
Going to make a prediction.
Any danger of a game breaking out, or is it the Gary Ablett show?

Im hoping we can have a more comfortable win today but I'm a bit nervous it will be close again. We have had a good record this year in the close ones.

azabob
11-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Quite good ins. Not really surprised to see Honeychurch out. Great to have Talia and Boyd back into the side. Hopefully Hunter can show something and good luck to another debutant in Josh Prudden.

Easty, Honeychurch is out injured.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2015, 04:45 PM
Easty, Honeychurch is out injured.

Which is why he is not surprised. :D

azabob
11-07-2015, 04:47 PM
Which is why he is not surprised. :D

Touche...