PDA

View Full Version : AFL footballers and their party drugs shame exposed

Bulldog4life
04-07-2015, 01:21 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/afl-footballers-and-their-party-drugs-shame-exposed/story-fnpp4dl6-1227427378200

PICTURE an inner-city nightclub, the queue 100 deep while inside enthusiasts grind to the beat of Runaway by Gelantis, when suddenly a group of five very fit and very recognisable men in their early 20s arrives.

Far from joining the madding crowd of “randoms” outside, they are ushered in by musclebound sycophants desperate for their patronage in the knowledge they qualify as celebrities and that means business.

Free drinks aren’t a problem, although the drink-card days of the 1980s and ’90s are old hat, replaced by an assortment of party drugs of which Amy Winehouse would be proud.

And just as Amy did to her ultimate detriment, these young men often indulge.

It normally involves moving away from the riffraff into celebrity booths where cocaine or ecstasy are readily available.

The AFL-friendly environments are said to be considerate enough to provide private rooms for the cutting and consumption of coke, otherwise it will involve a trip to the powder room where like-minded souls will be on hands and knees snorting for their country.

The scene painted above has taken place every week of 2015 in football-mad Melbourne and will continue for the rest of this year and every one afterwards that you and I are lucky enough to witness.

It will reach its zenith from September to October when holiday time begins and on a good night, or Sunday morning at one notorious city haunt, you can witness a drug-taking equivalent of a feeding the penguins moment at Phillip Island, where hunger overcomes shyness and inhibitions are dropped.

Welcome to the social world of some AFL footballers, their bravado matched by their bulging wallets, their fear of exposure minimal courtesy of a drugs code most find laughable.

If unlucky enough to be busted on the average two tests that occur a year, they still have a second chance and then self-reporting as further back-up.

In most cases they will escape without the telltale hangovers that come from a night at the drip tray or the skin-fold problems caused by a dozen pots of Carlton and United Breweries finest product.

At least they’re the lucky ones and not the present-day AFL star said to have recently booked into a rehab centre, something that goes with the territory in the US where you haven’t truly earned your celebrity stripes until becoming acquainted with a clinic named after the wife of a former US president (Betty Ford).

But not something we are used to in a country that remains relatively naive in the ways of party pharmaceuticals.

And it goes far deeper than just the players. Take a lie-detector into an AFL press box tonight and try not to get kicked to death in the stampede.

In fact, while you are at it turn up at AFL House at the start of play Monday morning and you can be assured of some interesting polygraph activity.

It is just the way of the world, the society we now live in, but one where footballers are held to far greater account than the average garden variety citizen.

Why, because they are paid more, because they acquire instant fame when their number is read out on draft night, or because they are so-called role models?

Read all of the above as young men try to escape the ever-suffocating life of an AFL footballer, one that is growing less enjoyable by the seasons as club demands grow along with expectations of those who pay their hard-earned to go and watch their heroes do battle each week.

Speak to Dustin Fletcher, Paul Chapman and Drew Petrie, all with at least 15 seasons to their name, and all three will assure you the game has grown into a sterilised business, one where your every public move is scrutinised.

“Bad luck”, claim many of the public who believe it goes with the territory. You want to get paid heaps for exploiting your God-given talents then learn to live with what comes with it. Fletcher said in an interview with this newspaper recently that the best days of his 400-game career were the early days back in the 1990s.

“When I first started, ‘Bomber’ Thompson lived near me in Greenvale and I used to get a lift in with him. After a game you could have a drink and relax and you would come in and do rehab on a Monday. To be honest, I did enjoy it more back then. You could go about your footy and not have to worry about all the other stuff,” Fletcher, 40, said.

Chapman, 33, and one of the most decorated players in the game over 279 matches, believes the intensity of the AFL world and the length of a season could see players pushing for less rather than more.

“I agree with Dustin that the game has lost some of its appeal as a player. The length of the pre-season and the scrutiny you are under just keep growing. Maybe you could see players actually accept less money and in return play a 17-round home and away season with a shorter pre-season, “ he said.

To casual observers, drug-taking in the AFL is hardly a recent phenomenon with the West Coast Eagles playing in two Grand Finals a decade ago despite a drug culture that has sadly taken a few prisoners in the time since.

It remains one of football’s great untold stories despite a Ben Cousins biography that highlighted his addiction to methamphetamine. Back in those days the rumours would float across the Nullabor that Cousins and a handful of other Eagles were serious users.

Everyone seemed to have a story yet the AFL and its drug arm either didn’t want to listen or didn’t target the said participants at the right time.

It didn’t seem that hard, just wait for a Friday night game and hit them at the soonest available time afterwards.

But just like Lance Armstrong the authorities were more Inspector Clouseau than Sherlock Holmes. In fact the AFL under Andrew Demetriou went in the other direction, proudly beating their chests at the lack of evidence to suggest there was a drug culture within.

A lame three-strike policy was introduced, arguably with best intentions (the more cynical would claim it was designed to ensure there weren’t too many positive tests) and hopefully now will be overhauled.

So what happened back in the day, when men such as former Geelong 198-game player and now entertaining media performer Bill Brownless played?

“Our drug was beer. We just didn’t see drugs. And that was over 13 years in the 1980s and ’90s, never anything. But the pressure on them now to come up physically each week and then perform is getting to unrealistic levels,” Brownless said.

“I’m not a drug-taker and would never encourage it but there is a part of me that can see why an AFL player does it. You would need to ask someone who has done both, what is better, a massive hangover or the alternative? I would never see drug use when I went out but now I’m becoming better educated.

“We all need to be better educated, particularly when you have kids. I don’t think three strikes is working because it is an epidemic out there.

“Drug use would have to be the No. 1 worry for club CEOs and club boards. But most of them aren’t in the right age group. You will have clubs appointing people solely for that reason.”

In Brownless’s day, cocaine was something we associated with Columbian drug lords such as the late Pablo Escobar rather than hot nightspots of the time like the Tunnel or Billboard. Marijuana was a chance to appear during a night on the tiles, with speed beginning to raise its ugly head while heroin was viewed as an evil and dumbing substance that required a needle for injection.

In the 1980s you were more likely to find players using performance-enhancing drugs in the form of steroids rather than so-called party drugs.

In a 1990 book titled The Black and White Diaries, written by Brian Taylor and this author, a VFL best and fairest winner in the 1980s was prepared to go on the record about his steroid use, on the proviso that others, including two of the highest-profile players in the game, were also named. His name wasn’t used on legal advice.

Just as is the case today with the unnamed Gold Coast 11 who were lagged to the police by king rat Karmichael Hunt, legal advice ensures some level of anonymity, something that wasn’t available to Harley Bennell when pictorial evidence showed him allegedly snorting speed.

To gain a better insight into drug use from a player’s perspective, the Herald Sun interviewed someone who came through the system, who has partied with the best of them even if his buzz came through a glass rather than a $20 note. As is the case in an AFL world where figures are increasingly jumping at shadows, he spoke under the guise of anonymity.

“Not all but the higher-profile players can get their drugs for free. People like to big note, say ‘Hey, I gave such and such to so and so last night’. It gives them a sick sense of importance,” the player said.

“And while drug use is becoming more prevalent, it isn’t something that is widely spoken about within a club. You don’t want anything getting back to the club so you find two or three like-minded souls, blokes you can trust.

“What percentage of blokes at an AFL club would take drugs? I couldn’t tell you but it’s massive in the off-season, when with all the pressure they just go berserk. She’s right on in October. Mostly cocaine. I don’t think the AFL is too serious about catching them either.

“I got tested twice in a year, both times on Fridays. I said to the testers why are you testing me now? Once you got tested you knew you were free to get on for the weekend as Ben Cousins would say. Party time. So why wouldn’t you test on Mondays? I reckon the AFL does it for the stats although I will say do they do target the same blokes who they reckon would be using. But even then they are still testing them on a Thursday-Friday, so they aren’t having a real go.

“Some people do it every now and then and some can’t have a good night without it. What I will say is the club I was at, some of the blokes doing it were big names. But you know what? They were good people and I learnt from that you can’t judge just say because they take drugs they are a bad person.”

So how do you prevent “good people” from going down a path which is both illegal and potentially life-threatening? The above player in question, who now plays suburban football, says it comes down to education. And early education.

“You can do all the education you want but that’s not going to stop those who are already doing it. You have to get them early, the TAC Cup and AIS kids, get to them before they have done it. Once they have done it you won’t stop them. There are players on it who consistently surprise you and they take it because they pull up better after a big night.”

A present day AFL star just booked into to rehab. I wouldn't be surprised now who it was.

Twodogs
04-07-2015, 01:37 PM
If even half of that is true then I'm stunned.

Those feeding frenzies in the powder room sound pretty undignified.

Topdog
04-07-2015, 09:49 PM
That was hard to read. How do these people get paid to write?

SonofScray
05-07-2015, 05:39 PM
I have seen it first hand. Mind you I am a long way removed from any current players and their circle of friends but none of that surprises me and anyone involved in local footy wouldn't be shocked to hear it either. There was that much drugs going through the last club I played for, which featured a number of former AFL players, it wasn't funny. One of about 5 reasons I walked away from playing the game. (The main one being I was not good enough to get a kick).

There was a big brawl at the Waterloo one night, my friend and I got caught up in it and saved the skin of a guy who at the time played for Collingwood. Dragged him out of the scuffle, threw him in the cab with us and as a thank you he offered us some pills. I hadn't really been exposed to drugs at that time, said no thanks. He got us into a fairly trendy nightclub, bloke on the door told him to stay out of trouble, flicked us a few $100 drink cards and welcomed us in. Melbourne FC were having a B n F after party there and you'd have been hard pressed to find a bloke who hadn't made a trip to the loo for something other than a piss.

bornadog
05-07-2015, 07:40 PM
I have seen it first hand. Mind you I am a long way removed from any current players and their circle of friends but none of that surprises me and anyone involved in local footy wouldn't be shocked to hear it either. There was that much drugs going through the last club I played for, which featured a number of former AFL players, it wasn't funny. One of about 5 reasons I walked away from playing the game. (The main one being I was not good enough to get a kick).

There was a big brawl at the Waterloo one night, my friend and I got caught up in it and saved the skin of a guy who at the time played for Collingwood. Dragged him out of the scuffle, threw him in the cab with us and as a thank you he offered us some pills. I hadn't really been exposed to drugs at that time, said no thanks. He got us into a fairly trendy nightclub, bloke on the door told him to stay out of trouble, flicked us a few $100 drink cards and welcomed us in. Melbourne FC were having a B n F after party there and you'd have been hard pressed to find a bloke who hadn't made a trip to the loo for something other than a piss.

My daughter knows how much I am against illegal drugs. The other day she said, look its like this. You want to go out, you are young and don't have much money, but want to get high or drunk. At night clubs alcohol costs alot per drink whereas one pill can do the trick for a fraction of what you need to spend.

I know footballers have lots of money and this doesn't effect them, but what she was saying probably holds true for a lot of young people. Also, I presume the hangover the next day is not there when popping a pill.

LostDoggy
05-07-2015, 09:19 PM
My partner is a criminal barrister (mainly prosecution) and I have a few defence lawyer clients. Ice is enormous, it's not a media beat-up, it's everywhere. I think BAD hit the nail on the head: it's cheaper than a full night if you're going blotto. For me, I just don't want to have anything to do with it, but even in my Navy days there were plenty of blokes on the gear. If you think AFL footballers are cast aside when caught, try being a Defence member. Straight out, no questions asked, for obvious reasons; but the young blokes around me still did it anyway as you don't puke your guts out, wind up sloppy to work the next day and develop a beer gut. I think it's this reason rather than the money or fame that gets the players sucked in.

Bulldog4life
05-07-2015, 09:21 PM
My partner is a criminal barrister (mainly prosecution) and I have a few defence lawyer clients. Ice is enormous, it's not a media beat-up, it's everywhere. I think BAD hit the nail on the head: it's cheaper than a full night if you're going blotto. For me, I just don't want to have anything to do with it, but even in my Navy days there were plenty of blokes on the gear. If you think AFL footballers are cast aside when caught, try being a Defence member. Straight out, no questions asked, for obvious reasons; but the young blokes around me still did it anyway as you don't puke your guts out, wind up sloppy to work the next day and develop a beer gut. I think it's this reason rather than the money or fame that gets the players sucked in.

Do they get checked for drug taking BAS in the armed forces?

LostDoggy
05-07-2015, 09:28 PM

Yes but it's random. More often guys got caught with it on them or the sniffer dogs would nab them. Even sitting next to a bloke ripping a bong can get you in the shit. (That was ten years ago, mind, not sure about these days)

bulldogtragic
05-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Guys & Gals working in underground mines get drug tested, and face the sack for a positive test. That's owing to the fact of safety mind you.

Not sure if the police force got their random testing through. WD54?

1eyedog
05-07-2015, 10:11 PM
We used to watch Ablett Snr in the early 90s at Rebar in Geelong dancing by himself with no-one else on the dance floor at 4am with a bottle of water in his hand, sweating his arse off. He was there a few times a month, sometimes alone, sometimes with a bloke who just stood at the side of the dance floor. At 4am the place was basically deserted and it was more funny than a problem...

It's not true what Billy said about drugs back then, there was lots of beer but there were still drugs.

Throughandthrough
05-07-2015, 10:42 PM
I'm not happy with the above article, and guessing the AFLPA won't be either. A quick read makes it seem that it's insinuating that the majority of AFL players are on the gear. I'd suspect that the majority are well above that.

jeemak
05-07-2015, 10:50 PM
I'm not happy with the above article, and guessing the AFLPA won't be either. A quick read makes it seem that it's insinuating that the majority of AFL players are on the gear. I'd suspect that the majority are well above that.

It's probably likely to resemble the stats throughout society. Economic circumstances dictate the type of drugs young footballers take compared to their civilian counterparts.

The above article is typical tabloid fodder really. Sensationalise an issue with a good dose of fear generated outrage, get some old bloke to talk about how things used to be, then use an unnamed source to give some credibility at the end.

Happy Days
05-07-2015, 11:17 PM
This is Lionel Hutz style journalism.

"I can't tell you that all players are on coke, but between you and me, I promise you that all players are on coke."

I bet those cited in the article can't understand the new music that the kids these days are listening to either.

Twodogs
05-07-2015, 11:24 PM

Yeah, they lost me at the goody bag full of party drugs or whatever term they used.

Sedat
06-07-2015, 12:44 AM
Author of the article has a lot of hide, seeing as he smashed his car into a pizza shop and blew 0.15 a few years ago. I guess dirty mug scribes don't have to live up to the same standards as footballers.

Twodogs
06-07-2015, 01:00 AM
You're right Sedat, it's written by Jon Anderson. I thought he was banished from the H/S over the drivinghiscarintotgepizzashop fiasco but obviously this piece had to be printed.

Because if I want the facts about what's happening in the Melbourne club and drug scene then I'm going to ask a 56 year old guy for an eye witness account.

Rocco Jones
06-07-2015, 01:07 AM
Author of the article has a lot of hide, seeing as he smashed his car into a pizza shop and blew 0.15 a few years ago. I guess dirty mug scribes don't have to live up to the same standards as footballers.

Bit of an old school mentality. Why do the kids have to take the drugs, why can't they just (binge) drink like a real man?!!

LostDoggy
06-07-2015, 02:47 AM
If they think getting the education into the young blokes in the T.A.C will do the trick they will scratch their heads when that doesn't work. They are well into it by then, I know of an under 14 side that has a problem. It's spread through the schools like you wouldn't believe, if young blokes are going to take it they will before they get to the A.F.L. If it's not stopped at home then there is nothing anybody can do.

bornadog
06-07-2015, 10:25 AM
If they think getting the education into the young blokes in the T.A.C will do the trick they will scratch their heads when that doesn't work. They are well into it by then, I know of an under 14 side that has a problem. It's spread through the schools like you wouldn't believe, if young blokes are going to take it they will before they get to the A.F.L. If it's not stopped at home then there is nothing anybody can do.

So lets give up and do nothing, or is there a solution?

Mofra
06-07-2015, 11:09 AM
I was urine tested every 6 months - nobody was ever caught, even the guys who used to indulge.

Mofra
06-07-2015, 11:13 AM
My daughter knows how much I am against illegal drugs. The other day she said, look its like this. You want to go out, you are young and don't have much money, but want to get high or drunk. At night clubs alcohol costs alot per drink whereas one pill can do the trick for a fraction of what you need to spend.
It's not just that either - the hangover vs 'maybe" comedown is a big issue too. You want to be passed out vomiting at 3am or still dancing and laughing your arse off? I know plenty of people who choose MDMA for this very reason - most quite successful people with high paying jobs and a reasonable degree of social status.

Times have changed - party drugs aren't just tolerated, they're now seen by the current generation as an acceptable alternative to alcohol abuse and for a footballer who has skinfolds to meet the temptation is huge.

Greystache
06-07-2015, 11:39 AM

Not to mention Rebecca Wilson, that authority on moral responsibility, who is also a serial convicted high range drink driver.

Drunken Bum
06-07-2015, 12:08 PM

Regulate it and pump money into REAL education not bullshit scare tactics and propaganda, it's easier for kids to get drugs than it is alcohol, the vast majority of societies problems with drugs are a direct result of prohibition

jeemak
06-07-2015, 12:16 PM

I think what Rooner is suggesting is a huge part of the education and values instilment process should occur in the home at a young age. Leaving it up to sporting support networks to provide education to those in early to mid-teenage years is a recipe for limited success.

Parents seem to leave a lot of difficult conversations with kids to third parties. Perhaps we should start educating parents on drug facts and how to engage their children on the topic in a responsible and non-fear motivated way.

If you change the culture of society you'll change culture within the AFL.

Twodogs
06-07-2015, 12:43 PM
I was urine tested every 6 months - nobody was ever caught, even the guys who used to indulge.

A couple of years ago I had a rotten cold and I was as sick as. Anyway I had a doctors appointment, so I took some Codral cold tablets so I could make it. I get to the doctors office and as part of the check up I had to do a urine test. Came back positive for opiates and I had to go in for weekly appointments and tests for 3 months. All because of the codeine in the cold tablet.

Drunken Bum
06-07-2015, 01:50 PM
Regulate it and pump money into REAL education not bullshit scare tactics and propaganda, it's easier for kids to get drugs than it is alcohol, the vast majority of societies problems with drugs are a direct result of prohibition

This is obviously a broader solution to the problem at hand that society needs to take on, from an AFL aspect i'm not sure there is much more that can be done, whatever it is i can promise you one thing, it will not work as far as stopping players taking drugs goes and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded. I believe the AFL was on the right track treating it as a health issue and not naming and shaming players but i suspect for the wrong reasons, more because they wanted to protect the brand and sweep it under the carpet, getting fair dinkum about treating it as a health issue would be a good start, here's a revolutionary idea, how about try talking to the players about it instead of telling them what to do and what not to do find out why they are and if they're are underlying social reasons for it or if it's just because of the physical benefits over alcohol, try treating them as humans instead of bloody robots

LostDoggy
06-07-2015, 05:28 PM
I think what Rooner is suggesting is a huge part of the education and values instilment process should occur in the home at a young age. Leaving it up to sporting support networks to provide education to those in early to mid-teenage years is a recipe for limited success.

Parents seem to leave a lot of difficult conversations with kids to third parties. Perhaps we should start educating parents on drug facts and how to engage their children on the topic in a responsible and non-fear motivated way.

If you change the culture of society you'll change culture within the AFL.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Never give up, but it has to be confronted at home much earlier than some parents can handle.

comrade
07-07-2015, 12:30 AM
I have a 2 year old and I'm already s***ting myself about him getting into drugs. Ice especially.

We'll be having the chat very early on.

Only problem is, I use playing for the Bulldogs as an incentive for everything.

Bulldogs players eat their breakfast. Bulldogs players put their toys away. Bulldogs players don't pinch the cat.

Not sure I can honestly say that Bulldogs players don't do drugs :D

bulldogtragic
07-07-2015, 12:36 AM
A couple of years ago I had a rotten cold and I was as sick as. Anyway I had a doctors appointment, so I took some Codral cold tablets so I could make it. I get to the doctors office and as part of the check up I had to do a urine test. Came back positive for opiates and I had to go in for weekly appointments and tests for 3 months. All because of the codeine in the cold tablet.

I was considered for an overseas trip to Kenya with my boss Mr Peterman, but like you I tested positive to poppy seeds from my muffin. I switched urine samples but it didn't work and I didn't get to go.

Remi Moses
07-07-2015, 01:25 AM

Fair go sedat Jon thought it was a drive through pizza joint .
Bit like Ricky Nixon trying to catch a tram while still in his car!!

Remi Moses
07-07-2015, 01:26 AM
I was considered for an overseas trip to Kenya with my boss Mr Peterman, but like you I tested positive to poppy seeds from my muffin. I switched urine samples but it didn't work and I didn't get to go.

When you swap samples with a 65 year old woman that generally happens

dog town
07-07-2015, 07:23 AM
The article might seem a bit sensationalist but it is not far off the mark. It is hard to hear but as someone who coaches local footy and knows many AFL players I am hear to tell you that it is absolutely out of control. IMO the ice problem is not as prevalent as is made out but cocaine and the other party drugs are completely out of control. The odd guy who gets into trouble with ice it certainly seems to be more destructive though. Theft becomes an unfortunate side effect with ice because it is so expensive.

There is some big names who have narrowly escaped major press much like what Harley Bennell is now facing. The strange thing is that it is common knowledge with people like me I can only assume that the clubs just don't care. I know of one player from a Melbourne based club who was locked up for cocaine possession in New York. Nobody realized who he was so he has gotten away with it but the club must have heard.

Twodogs
07-07-2015, 09:32 AM
Party drugs is such a misleading term. I got addicted to party drugs and life was no party.

bornadog
07-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Party drugs is such a misleading term. I got addicted to party drugs and life was no party.

Well said

1eyedog
07-07-2015, 01:23 PM

What he said.

Sedat
07-07-2015, 02:23 PM
The article might seem a bit sensationalist but it is not far off the mark. It is hard to hear but as someone who coaches local footy and knows many AFL players I am hear to tell you that it is absolutely out of control. IMO the ice problem is not as prevalent as is made out but cocaine and the other party drugs are completely out of control. The odd guy who gets into trouble with ice it certainly seems to be more destructive though. Theft becomes an unfortunate side effect with ice because it is so expensive.

There is some big names who have narrowly escaped major press much like what Harley Bennell is now facing. The strange thing is that it is common knowledge with people like me I can only assume that the clubs just don't care. I know of one player from a Melbourne based club who was locked up for cocaine possession in New York. Nobody realized who he was so he has gotten away with it but the club must have heard.
My beef is with the author of the article. What on earth would a 56yo old-school pisshead know about drugs outside of alcohol and nicotine? The article also has a stench of tut-tutting the use of illicit drugs and pining for the good old days of yore, when you could drink a slab and drive home via a pizza shop window.

Illicit drugs are a significant issue for society today, but they are still not even in the same ballpark, from both pure cost and a society perspective, as the problems caused by alcohol abuse.

dog town
07-07-2015, 03:29 PM
My beef is with the author of the article. What on earth would a 56yo old-school pisshead know about drugs outside of alcohol and nicotine? The article also has a stench of tut-tutting the use of illicit drugs and pining for the good old days of yore, when you could drink a slab and drive home via a pizza shop window.

Illicit drugs are a significant issue for society today, but they are still not even in the same ballpark, from both pure cost and a society perspective, as the problems caused by alcohol abuse. Fair enough too Sedat. I did read an article the other day saying an alcohol program had its funding cut and the funds reallocated to an ice treatment program. Did sound a little ridiculous.

I guess I am just pointing out that some of the issues are not being exaggerated. I tried to explain to my parents some of the things I had seen a while ago and they almost fell over. Hard to say too much without unfairly implicating all footballers but the problem is only getting worse.