PDA

View Full Version : Balance

Twodogs
15-07-2015, 07:49 PM
One thing that Bmac left behind and Bevo has improved on is a bunch of players who stay on their feet in a contest.

If there is one thing that frustrates me is players falling over in contests. If you're on the ground you aren't doing much good. I love how our players can keep their feet in the heaviest of contests.

Greystache
15-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Good cool. It was something BMac used to scream at the players during contested ball drills- KEEP YOUR FEET!!!

ledge
15-07-2015, 08:59 PM
It also depends on the players you recruit.
Some are just naturally never going to ground.
Bont, Macrae, Stringer are just natural at staying on they're feet even when tackled by three players.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
15-07-2015, 09:01 PM
Walls got a goal from keeping his feet in the last quarter

Twodogs
15-07-2015, 09:15 PM

He did. That's why I started the thread. I'd been meaning to do it for a while-a year or so-but seeing Wally get that goal reminded me.

Go_Dogs
15-07-2015, 09:19 PM
With the sliding rule there's no reason to go to ground either - you're out of the contest if the ball spills a few metres and otherwise likely to give a free away. I'm glad it's an area we've improved on.

always right
15-07-2015, 10:32 PM
Going to ground is the refuge of players with no pace.

ledge
16-07-2015, 06:54 AM

Or exhaustion, or not strong enough against a bigger opponent.

SonofScray
16-07-2015, 09:18 AM

That was my favourite goal the game, for the exact reason this thread was created. That took a lot of effort to get to the contest, discipline to keep his feet and strength to out body the opponent. Just a cracker of a goal.

Mantis
16-07-2015, 09:43 AM

Exhibit A - Gia.

comrade
16-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Exhibit A - Gia.

And Higgins.

An opposition player would run off, Higgo would give chase for a bit, then lunge and fall over so his lack of pace wasn't shown up.

Greystache
16-07-2015, 09:58 AM
And Higgins.

An opposition player would run off, Higgo would give chase for a bit, then lunge and fall over so his lack of pace wasn't shown up.

Needs more Tim Callan. I've never seen a player go to ground more in a contest than Timmy!

Bulldog Joe
16-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Needs more Tim Callan. I've never seen a player go to ground more in a contest than Timmy!

You must not have watched Mark Austin particularly in 2014. Going to ground was his first option.

Mofra
16-07-2015, 10:19 AM
It's more the fitness staff - we seem to have done away with a reliance on heavy squats and deadlifts in favour of single leg work, plyo, functional work etc.

Quite noticeable in the pre-season training vids. Single leg work + transference to single leg stablised core work surely has a massive impact on this. I hope we don't miss Justin Cordy next season too much

Greystache
16-07-2015, 10:32 AM
It's more the fitness staff - we seem to have done away with a reliance on heavy squats and deadlifts in favour of single leg work, plyo, functional work etc.

Quite noticeable in the pre-season training vids. Single leg work + transference to single leg stablised core work surely has a massive impact on this. I hope we don't miss Justin Cordy next season too much

Andy Barnett is the strength and conditioning coach.

merantau
16-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Exhibit A - Gia.
Agree he was never a lightning bolt but he had a lot of upside to his game which stood the test of time.

Ozza
16-07-2015, 11:20 AM

One of the things I love about Wally, is that when that ball was in dispute - not for one second did I think that he was going to lose his feet and be out of the contest. He's one of those players that is going to do everything in his power, and everything right technically, to win the ball.

Twodogs
16-07-2015, 11:30 AM
That was my favourite goal the game, for the exact reason this thread was created. That took a lot of effort to get to the contest, discipline to keep his feet and strength to out body the opponent. Just a cracker of a goal.

And a lot of time on the track kicking the ball to teammates.

Exhibit A - Gia.

And Higgins.

You must not have watched Mark Austin particularly in 2014. Going to ground was his first option.

Man, we've had a few.

bornadog
16-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Man, we've had a few.

All teams do.

Avoid the rush
16-07-2015, 11:43 AM
All teams do.

SEDAT SIR !!!!! I saw him fall over in the rooms B4 the game one day.

Flamethrower
16-07-2015, 12:20 PM
This is one of my pet hates in football. It shows both mental and physical weakness, and is the main difference between the elite players and the scrubbers.

It is also the difference between the teams at the pointy end and the pretenders. You do that at Hawthorn or Sydney consistently, and its off to the VFL/NEAFL for you.

LostDoggy
16-07-2015, 09:15 PM
SEDAT SIR !!!!! I saw him fall over in the rooms B4 the game one day.

Ahhhh,
How i've missed Liam Jones being my favourite scapegoat ;)
I'd swear he had roller blades on for studs. ;)

merantau
17-07-2015, 10:27 AM
I watched Jones play on TV for Carlton earlier this year. He was having a set shot which would have put Carlton right back in the contest. My mate, a Carlton supporter (if that's not an oxymoron!) started to get all excited. "Settle down," I told him, "he'll miss." He did.