PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 17 vs Collingwood

Eastdog
17-07-2015, 09:12 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 17 match against Collingwood at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
18-07-2015, 04:35 PM
Hamling and Roberts must be in contention

G-Mo77
18-07-2015, 04:58 PM

Roberts has been shelved for 2 so don't see him returning.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2015, 05:11 PM
Delete.

bornadog
18-07-2015, 05:39 PM

Stevens also with an ankle so he may miss again.

Mantis
18-07-2015, 05:57 PM
Whilst he is clever with ball in hand Bailey Dale just doesn't get enough of it at AFL level to hurt the opposition.. Caught in between the levels at the moment, another pre-season will do him wonders.

divvydan
18-07-2015, 06:04 PM
Bevo just confirmed that Stevens has a stress fracture in his heel. Won't be back next week.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Cloke subbed off with a leg injury.

G-Mo77
18-07-2015, 06:17 PM
Whilst he is clever with ball in hand Bailey Dale just doesn't get enough of it at AFL level to hurt the opposition.. Caught in between the levels at the moment, another pre-season will do him wonders.

Agree with that but you've got to reward good form. Dale was banging the door down so was hard to ignore.

Mantis
18-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Agree with that but you've got to reward good form. Dale was banging the door down so was hard to ignore.

No issue with him playing.. The experience alone will do him wonders, but just feel for where we are at the minute we needed more from him.

lemmon
18-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Bevo just confirmed that Stevens has a stress fracture in his heel. Won't be back next week.

Does that finish his season?

Rocco Jones
18-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Agree with Mantis re: Dale. Great to give him experience and really deserves his games, however short term he hurts us. We need to find a balance.

Dry Rot
18-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Anyone see the alleged trip by Witts on Priddis?

Bulldog4life
18-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Anyone see the alleged trip by Witts on Priddis?

Yes be surprised if it isn't just a fine DR

Dry Rot
18-07-2015, 08:53 PM
Yes be surprised if it isn't just a fine DR

Pity. Thanks.

Rocco Jones
18-07-2015, 09:06 PM
Read comments from Beveridge post game about Hunter for Stevens not being like for like meaning we were missing engine room depth.

I think if Jong plays well in the VFL and gets through the game without any fitness concerns, he will be an auto inclusion.

divvydan
18-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Does that finish his season?

Unsure. Bevo only said that he would be out for a while. I guess maybe a month or so and with the loss of fitness/conditioning that goes along with such an injury, Kobe would be struggling to make it back before the last rounds of the home and away season.

Mantis
18-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Still a bit to play out, mainly to do with the VFL game tomorrow, but at the minute I'm thinking:

In: Jong, Hamling

Out: Prudden, Dale

Rocco Jones
18-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Still a bit to play out, mainly to do with the VFL game tomorrow, but at the minute I'm thinking:

In: Jong, Hamling

Out: Prudden, Dale

I'm thinking the same. Possibly Biggs if Jong struggles to run out the game again. Not sure if Biggs can really help out in the engine room though.

Remi Moses
18-07-2015, 10:34 PM
I think If Hrovat plays well he comes in.
Ditto for Lin

Bulldog4life
18-07-2015, 10:38 PM
Ditto for Lin

Isnt he injured?

G-Mo77
18-07-2015, 10:58 PM
Isnt he injured?

He was back this week. Doubt Hrovat would get a call up after one game back from a soft tissue injury.

The Doctor
18-07-2015, 11:06 PM
Ditto for Lin

yep

we have been second to the loose ball a lot in recent games and Hrovat will help remedy that and give a bit of drive around the packs.

Remi Moses
19-07-2015, 01:11 AM
Hrovat was playing well in the VFL until he got injured , and was a minor injury .
In Jong Hamling possibly Hrovat
Out Dale Prudden possibly T Boyd ( we look to top heavy in the forward 50)

Pickenitup
19-07-2015, 09:27 AM
In Minson Jong Hamling
Out Prudden Campbell Dale

Hotdog60
19-07-2015, 09:39 AM
Just on Prudden, his stats for a 2 games player were better than M Boyd and S Crameri. Also the 2nd best Effective Disposal in the team behind Johannisen.

Not that I saying that he stays in or out it was just interesting to see.

merantau
19-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Just on Prudden, his stats for a 2 games player were better than M Boyd and S Crameri. Also the 2nd best Effective Disposal in the team behind Johannisen.

Not that I saying that he stays in or out it was just interesting to see.
Stats can be useful but they can also be misleading unless they provide a complete picture of a player's performance. For example, a hand pass that loops just a little so that the receiver has to wait a tad and is then under a little more pressure when he takes his kick; consequently his kick is less effective. Is the initial hand pass considered an effective disposal? What about missed tackles? Fumbles? Failures to shepherd? Run to position? Spoil? I saw Prudden get a reasonable amount of the ball but I came away with the impression that he wasn't that effective. I thought his tackling was poor. That's my impression:maybe I'm wrong. I guess the edit of his game tells the full story and I assume these play heavily in the Match Committee's deliberations.

Rocco Jones
19-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Dropping Campbell, Redpath and/or Boyd may help our structure but I would keep them all in for greater cause reasons.

Campbell wasn't up against much in the ruck but deserves his go and we really need to have a look at him. He performed better than what we have seen from Minson this season and clearly ahead of Ayce's performances.

Tom Boyd played a team focused role combining forward duties with the ruck.

Redpath ended up with 10 tackles and is displaying the right attitude.

I know we can't keep carrying guys for development and positive attitude reasons but at the moment our depth is light. We are playing runners like Prudden and Dale who aren't getting in the game anyway.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
19-07-2015, 09:20 PM
I'd like to know what injuries we have - has Wood done his groin, is Hamling ok, how is Wallis' back?

Rocco Jones
19-07-2015, 09:49 PM
I'd like to know what injuries we have - has Wood done his groin, is Hamling ok, how is Wallis' back?

Not sure I would call what Wood did as doing his groin (is adductor the term now anyway?). It was more getting hit where you don't want to get hit. I think he will be okay (easy for me to say).

Wallis might be in a bit of doubt. The type of player who can play sore. We really need him.

In- Hamling, Jong
Out- Dale, Prudden

I would bring in Biggs for Wallis if he isn't right and Talia if Hamling isn't ready.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
19-07-2015, 09:55 PM
Abductor is the new quad

AndrewP6
19-07-2015, 09:57 PM
Not sure I would call what Wood did as doing his groin (is adductor the term now anyway?). It was more getting hit where you don't want to get hit. I think he will be okay (easy for me to say).

Wallis might be in a bit of doubt. The type of player who can play sore. We really need him.

In- Hamling, Jong
Out- Dale, Prudden

I would bring in Biggs for Wallis if he isn't right and Talia if Hamling isn't ready.

Adductor is commonly referred to as the groin, but I agree, reckon he might've copped one in the family jewels.

boydogs
19-07-2015, 10:03 PM

Graham Lowe does an injury update video during the week but Bevo in his press conference said Koby Stevens was our only injury concern from the game

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
19-07-2015, 10:05 PM
I'll say no more. Back to footy Biggs was good again today but I can't see him playing in the centre where we need some grunt so I would put Jong in. And Hamling hope he is fit.

Rocco Jones
19-07-2015, 10:11 PM
I'll say no more. Back to footy Biggs was good again today but I can't see him playing in the centre where we need some grunt so I would put Jong in. And Hamling hope he is fit.

Yep. Biggs is more outer ring type rather than engine room (I think I have made up a type).

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
19-07-2015, 10:25 PM
The Outer Ring. Good description of the type.

Rocco Jones
19-07-2015, 10:31 PM
The Outer Ring. Good description of the type.

Engine room- Jong
Outer ring- Biggs
Outside- Hunter

Not being a smarty pants.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
19-07-2015, 10:36 PM
Of course not

Rocco Jones
19-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Of course not

Haha, I wanna be kind to Lachie.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
19-07-2015, 11:43 PM
Well you didn't say outside the ground

Ozza
20-07-2015, 10:38 AM
Thought Lachie was a lot better this week when he came on. Think Webb is a better player though, probably more versatile at this point.

Also thought Campbell gave us more around the ground in his first 10 minutes than Will usually does in a full game. Campbell's tap work will improve each week as he develops his chemistry with the AFL mids.

Outs: Prudden, Dale, Hunter. (Happy enough with how these kids have gone in their taste of AFL footy - but we're getting to the business end now).

In: Hamling, Hrovat, Webb (Think with us being short a mid or two at the moment, and Jong being down on confidence, Hrovat to get an extended run in the AFL midfield would be good for him, and the side).

B: Morris; Roughead; Wood
HB: Murphy; Hamling; Boyd
C: JJ; Wallis; Macrae
HF: Crameri; Redpath; Picken
F: Dickson; Boyd; Stringer
R: Campbell; Bontempelli; Dahlhaus
Int: Grant, Hrovat, Webb, Daniel

LostDoggy
20-07-2015, 11:43 AM
I think it's time for Boydy to spend some time in the middle of the ground. Biggs or Webb are capable of coming in and playing a role for us down back.

I would much rather that change occur than bringing in Jong. Not sure he's ready just yet.

Stevens is such a big loss. Can we bring in a fully fit Libba this week!?

bornadog
20-07-2015, 03:07 PM
Cloke out for two weeks

Remi Moses
20-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Engine room- Jong
Outer ring- Biggs
Outside- Hunter

Not being a smarty pants.
Jordan McMahon was on the extreme outer ring

Remi Moses
20-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Stevens has improved markedly and is a loss.
Like for like I'd bring in Lin Jong

F'scary
20-07-2015, 09:56 PM
Stevens has improved markedly and is a loss.
Like for like I'd bring in Lin Jong

Where would we be if Jong and Stevens were both fit and at their peak going into the Collingwood match? We'd smash the 'pies.

1eyedog
20-07-2015, 10:51 PM
With Libba and Koby out of the engine room unless we bring in one or two of Jong, Honeychurch or Hrovat we're gonna have a heap of guys running around on the outside looking for a feed.

Rocco Jones
20-07-2015, 11:02 PM
Libba, Clay Smith and Stevens out of the engine room. Wallis playing sore. Jong getting his way back to match fitness required at VFL level. Our engine room really is depleted at the moment.

1eyedog
20-07-2015, 11:08 PM
I'm open to Boyd going to the middle this week. I think we are getting too short on options and if we want to win we need win some ball out of there. Either that or we have a plan for Swan and Pendlebury but going on previous form they'll be free to do what they like.

boydogs
20-07-2015, 11:26 PM
I'm open to Boyd going to the middle this week. I think we are getting too short on options and if we want to win we need win some ball out of there. Either that or we have a plan for Swan and Pendlebury but going on previous form they'll be free to do what they like.

We have to start with Boyd, Picken & Bonts or we'll get killed

1eyedog
20-07-2015, 11:36 PM

Our only saving grace is that Elliot and Cloke aren't playing and the Pies haven't learnt to score without them. Fingers crossed we don't continue our run of letting hack KPP dominate against us and let White kick 6.

Go_Dogs
21-07-2015, 01:56 AM

After a couple of quite games perhaps a good opportunity for Stringer to play more midfield minutes, too.

Thankfully Macrae and Dahl both have improved inside games as well, so I'm OK with us having enough options if everyone chips in and does their bit.

Mantis
21-07-2015, 09:46 AM

Bar the Hawthorn game and to a lesser extent Melbourne we haven't been killed all year, what says it will start this week?

Jeanette54
21-07-2015, 10:55 AM
I think we all forget just how much bullocking work that Big Will does in the middle. Kind of reminds me of Ben Hudson. Doesn't hurt to have a big body in support once the ball hits the ground after a ball up, throw in or centre bounce.

1eyedog
21-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Thought Lachie was a lot better this week when he came on. Think Webb is a better player though, probably more versatile at this point.

Also thought Campbell gave us more around the ground in his first 10 minutes than Will usually does in a full game. Campbell's tap work will improve each week as he develops his chemistry with the AFL mids.

Outs: Prudden, Dale, Hunter. (Happy enough with how these kids have gone in their taste of AFL footy - but we're getting to the business end now).

In: Hamling, Hrovat, Webb (Think with us being short a mid or two at the moment, and Jong being down on confidence, Hrovat to get an extended run in the AFL midfield would be good for him, and the side).

B: Morris; Roughead; Wood
HB: Murphy; Hamling; Boyd
C: JJ; Wallis; Macrae
HF: Crameri; Redpath; Picken
F: Dickson; Boyd; Stringer
R: Campbell; Bontempelli; Dahlhaus
Int: Grant, Hrovat, Webb, Daniel

That is still a good team on paper and I'd be happy with it. Looks well balanced.

LostDoggy
21-07-2015, 09:17 PM
Libba, Clay Smith and Stevens out of the engine room. Wallis playing sore. Jong getting his way back to match fitness required at VFL level. Our engine room really is depleted at the moment.

Maybe Crammers and Stringer in the middle for short bursts as there bigger bodies and grunt will help dish out to our out riders?

Rocco Jones
21-07-2015, 09:22 PM
Maybe Crammers and Stringer in the middle for short bursts as there bigger bodies and grunt will help dish out to our out riders?

Yeah, very short bursts. Would make Crammers role even more diverse/confusing on the outside looking in!

boydogs
21-07-2015, 09:44 PM
Bar the Hawthorn game and to a lesser extent Melbourne we haven't been killed all year, what says it will start this week?

In the midfield. Gold Coast (17th on the ladder) and Geelong (18th in contested ball) have beaten us in the middle in the last two weeks, we can't afford to front up with the same lineup against Collingwood or we won't get our hands on it enough to win the game

Rocco Jones
21-07-2015, 10:10 PM

Totally agree Mantis. We were very disappointing on Saturday against a finals contender type side on their home turf and lost by 8 points. The things that are hurting us, are stopping us from winning things rather than inabilities to be competitive.

I have concerns about winning enough games as the season drags on but I don't see any signs of us getting killed. Boyd, Wood and Bobby give us 3 AA backline contenders, hard to smash a side on that alone.

1eyedog
21-07-2015, 11:00 PM
In the midfield. Gold Coast (17th on the ladder) and Geelong (18th in contested ball) have beaten us in the middle in the last two weeks, we can't afford to front up with the same lineup against Collingwood or we won't get our hands on it enough to win the game

I'm more concerned about the 2nd half capitulation to the Aints and the 2.5 quarter smashing we got from GCS, almost run over by Carlton and scraping home against the Aints in match 2. We aren't getting smashed, yet. Collingwood are the first real top 8 contender we've played since Freo in Round 7.

Twodogs
22-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Brett Montgomery mentioned Rourke Smith's name tonight on SEN when asked if anyone at Footscray might be pushing for a spot. He said they'd think about him tonight and they have until midday to promote him.

Here replying to a question at 11:42.

http://www.sen.com.au/audio

GVGjr
22-07-2015, 11:31 PM
Brett Montgomery mentioned Rourke Smith's name tonight on SEN when asked if anyone at Footscray might be pushing for a spot. He said they'd think about him tonight and they have until midday to promote him.

I was listening to him. I'm surprised that Smith is a candidate for a promotion to be honest because I can't see where he fits in to the side.

Twodogs
23-07-2015, 12:23 AM
I was listening to him. I'm surprised that Smith is a candidate for a promotion to be honest because I can't see where he fits in to the side.

Monty said he would slot in well across half back.

Remi Moses
23-07-2015, 01:29 AM
I'm more concerned about the 2nd half capitulation to the Aints and the 2.5 quarter smashing we got from GCS, almost run over by Carlton and scraping home against the Aints in match 2. We aren't getting smashed, yet. Collingwood are the first real top 8 contender we've played since Freo in Round 7.

I'd say Geelong are on the same level as Collingwood , and they flogged the pies when they were going well.
Beveridge is on record as saying we're playing the long game, and we should keep the course

GVGjr
23-07-2015, 04:02 AM
Monty said he would slot in well across half back.

I heard him say that but Murphy, Wood, Johannisen and Boyd cover that area plus I'd have Webb ahead of him.

Go_Dogs
23-07-2015, 07:10 AM
I heard him say that but Murphy, Wood, Johannisen and Boyd cover that area plus I'd have Webb ahead of him.

Not to mention Biggs, and I'd hope Darley would be ahead of Smith at this stage, too.

comrade
23-07-2015, 07:58 AM
Boyd to move into the middle to cover Wallis?

Go_Dogs
23-07-2015, 08:01 AM

Is he out as well? We're going to struggle this week...

bornadog
23-07-2015, 09:49 AM

I haven't seen anything about Wallis being out. Have you a source?

Mofra
23-07-2015, 10:13 AM
Take Prudden's spot?
We really seem set on giving anyone a go who performs at Footscray. Reputation is out of the window, performance is king. I like it even if I think it can leave us light on for experience and hardened bodies at times.

1eyedog
23-07-2015, 10:18 AM

I heard that Boyd may play midfield on SEN this morning plus I don't think the MC play players based on where they are in the pecking order (i.e. Cordy). Webb's had a good run at it and it may be time to see what Biggs has got over a number of weeks. We'll find out in about 9 hours I suppose.

bornadog
23-07-2015, 11:16 AM

This from Twitter:

Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL) 14m14 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL/status/624006544070344704)Melbourne, Victoria (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A01864a8a64df9dc4)
Been a buzz around long-haired Roarke Smith for a while at Kennel. A rookie who has surprised. In mix to be elevated to senior list, debut

whythelongface
23-07-2015, 12:42 PM
Take Prudden's spot?
We really seem set on giving anyone a go who performs at Footscray. Reputation is out of the window, performance is king. I like it even if I think it can leave us light on for experience and hardened bodies at times.

Not only that but also seeing if players can make the grade at the top level even if they haven't been stand out performers at Footscray. In the long term this is great policy to see which (fringe and/or younger) players can perform at the highest level, considering we have sustained a few injuries to a number of our best players. The fact that we have been able to blood so many new players this year, yet still find ourselves in the midst of playing finals football shows how well our selection team have managed our squad overall. This can only help accelerate the overall development of our team.

G-Mo77
23-07-2015, 01:04 PM

Could JJ be a chance for an omission? He's a run and carry player as well at VFL level. Same the same type of role.

I'd love to see Smith get a crack personally. He's got some game, a few areas to work on but those kinks should be ironed out over time. A run at the top level won't hurt him one bit.

Ozza
23-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Could JJ be a chance for an omission? He's a run and carry player as well at VFL level. Same the same type of role.

I'd love to see Smith get a crack personally. He's got some game, a few areas to work on but those kinks should be ironed out over time. A run at the top level won't hurt him one bit.

I certainly hope not. Think JJ has become one of our most important players. Recently when we have been cramped for run, he has started slowly (as has the team), but JJ coming into the game and breaking lines has coincided with (and been a big factor in) us getting back into the game/or getting on top in the game.

Axe Man
23-07-2015, 01:08 PM

Wouldn't have thought so. Was good against Geelong - 22 touches @ 90% and named in the best.

G-Mo77
23-07-2015, 01:11 PM
I certainly hope not. Think JJ has become one of our most important players. Recently when we have been cramped for run, he has started slowly (as has the team), but JJ coming into the game and breaking lines has coincided with (and been a big factor in) us getting back into the game/or getting on top in the game.

Agree and I wasn't advocating for him to be omitted. It would be a like for like selection because they play a similar role. Smith probably a bit more defensive minded, JJ more attacking. Maybe I'm pigeon holing both players.

bornadog
23-07-2015, 01:53 PM

The stats certainly prove that. In first halves he is ranked 52, but second halves he is ranked number 2. (run and bounce)

Bulldog4life
23-07-2015, 06:10 PM
He might replace Boyd and Boyd goes into the middle

bornadog
23-07-2015, 06:11 PM
He might replace Boyd and Boyd goes into the middle

Who?

bornadog
23-07-2015, 07:27 PM
In: Darley Talia Biggs

no outs

Go_Dogs
23-07-2015, 07:37 PM

no outs

Still no Hamling, which may mean Talia gets another look this week.

Would be interested to see either of Biggs or Darley get a run, too. Mainly because Darley must be up for review if he doesn't start to demand senior selection and Biggs has been a consistent performer at VFL level who deserves an extended run.

F'scary
23-07-2015, 07:47 PM
You would think the Sontaran (Daniel) and Toyd would be in the 22. I can see Hunter is picked as starting FP but I'm not sure he really is in the 22 based on form. I don't like the idea of Wood being CHB - Morris or Talia instead? I'll give it to Bevo, he has picked an extended line up to keep everyone guessing.

boydogs
23-07-2015, 07:49 PM

no outs

Hunter on field, so not out and not sub
M Boyd named in the back pocket
Redpath at FF and T Boyd on the bench

Mantis
23-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Strange grouping of ins.. Oh well, wait and see what the final side looks like.

Rocco Jones
23-07-2015, 08:45 PM

Agreed but I often find that strange. Beveridge seems to have a set of team rules/expectations as a prerequisite to get in, so can be hard to guess.

If we go with Talia and Biggs for Dale and Prudden it will be pretty much what was expected. As has been discussed, Jong's ability to get through an AFL game physically is an issue.

F'scary
23-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Hunter on field, so not out and not sub
M Boyd named in the back pocket
Redpath at FF and T Boyd on the bench

Is that how it works, if named in the 18 they have to start? Or can they be one of the 3 omitted?

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-07-2015, 09:16 PM

I would be happy to see Talia in the final 22 without Hamling and Roberts being available.I think the jury is still out on Darley Biggs and Hunter as to whether they are good enough to be in our best team.

The bulldog tragician
23-07-2015, 09:18 PM
The intriguing thing about this is that Minson is not back, but named for Footscray.

azabob
23-07-2015, 09:28 PM
Is that how it works, if named in the 18 they have to start? Or can they be one of the 3 omitted?

The three omissions come from the list of 7 players on the bench.

azabob
23-07-2015, 09:29 PM
The intriguing thing about this is that Minson is not back, but named for Footscray.

Not really. Campbell was always going to get a shot and most likely an extended run at being the first ruck.

boydogs
23-07-2015, 10:31 PM

Yeah mate, the sub and 3 outs come from the extended bench
Possible that Tom Boyd gets a rest with Campbell, Roughead & Redpath all in the 18

Mantis
23-07-2015, 10:51 PM
I would be happy to see Talia in the final 22 without Hamling and Roberts being available.I think the jury is still out on Darley Biggs and Hunter as to whether they are good enough to be in our best team.

Talia has to play, Coll have quite a few talls up forward and whilst they don't seem to pose a threat I'm not sure I want Wood & Morris giving away 10+ cm.

Templeton31
23-07-2015, 11:31 PM
Talia has to play, Coll have quite a few talls up forward and whilst they don't seem to pose a threat I'm not sure I want Wood & Morris giving away 10+ cm.

I agree. need one of hamling, roberts or talia and talia last man standing.

GVGjr
23-07-2015, 11:32 PM

I'd have him in and agree that we can't go small against the Pies just because Cloke isn't in.

Go_Dogs
23-07-2015, 11:39 PM
I'd have him in and agree that we can't go small against the Pies just because Cloke isn't in.

They've loaded the forward line on paper, with Moore, Gundy and White who are all very tall players. This means that one of Morris or Wood will be on a significantly taller opponent at various times.

merantau
24-07-2015, 12:12 AM
Possible that Tom Boyd gets a rest with Campbell, Roughead & Redpath all in the 18
I would be very surprised if Boyd is rested. He missed a game through injury recently and, for the season, has covered about as much ground as you would playing 18 holes at Medway. What he needs is to start leading and getting some decent delivery from up ahead. I have rarely seen him create distance between him and his immediate opponent and that comes about due to the interplay of the above two factors. We need Boyd firing; he needs the game time. He must play. Furthermore, I think he is contributing ok when he takes a spell on the ball and Campbell will definitely need a chop out against Grundy and Witts.

Mantis
24-07-2015, 06:03 AM
They've loaded the forward line on paper, with Moore, Gundy and White who are all very tall players. This means that one of Morris or Wood will be on a significantly taller opponent at various times.

I'd be happy with:

Talia - White
Roughy - Grundy/ Witts
Morris - Moore

Go_Dogs
24-07-2015, 06:06 AM
I'd be happy with:

Talia - White
Roughy - Grundy/ Witts
Morris - Moore

Sounds about right. Moore is pretty agile for a big bloke, so Morris is probably the best to go with him. Even though he lacks 10cm, he will be a tough match up and too strong for Moore in the contest. Talia and Roughie don't have the wheels to go with Moore.

jazzadogs
24-07-2015, 07:44 AM

Am I wrong in saying that most of Moore's year to date has been played at centre half back? Not sure he is necessarily loading the forward line...

Mantis
24-07-2015, 07:57 AM
Am I wrong in saying that most of Moore's year to date has been played at centre half back? Not sure he is necessarily loading the forward line...

He's been playing forward.

F'scary
24-07-2015, 02:25 PM

hmmm, I hope Boyd plays, he has had a couple of quiet ones lately but generally I have really enjoyed watching him contest the aerials deep in the forward line. He has clunked a number of beauties too.

boydogs
24-07-2015, 02:35 PM
Talia - White
Roughy - Grundy/ Witts
Morris - Moore

I'd go Wood on Moore. Moore is nowhere at this point, he'll get 3 possessions all game. Put someone like Wood on him who can hurt him zoning off and save Morris for someone more dangerous

bornadog
24-07-2015, 03:30 PM
I'd go Wood on Moore. Moore is nowhere at this point, he'll get 3 possessions all game. Put someone like Wood on him who can hurt him zoning off and save Morris for someone more dangerous

Do you realise Darcy Moore is almost 200cm and Wood is 187cm

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-07-2015, 03:32 PM
I'd be happy with:

Talia - White
Roughy - Grundy/ Witts
Morris - Moore

I would prefer to see Morris play on Swan who tends to play a lot of his football forward these days. Wood's marking ability should enable him to go to Moore. I was wondering if Biggs might come into the side as a tag on Pendlebury where he played a similar role last year with the Sydney Swans. Pendlebury and Swan have had a habit in the past of blitzing the Western Bulldogs and need to be closely watched.

Greystache
24-07-2015, 03:35 PM
Do you realise Darcy Moore is almost 200cm and Wood is 187cm

He's played 2 career games and not kicked a goal, and he's struggled to get a kick in the VFL level. He's hardly worth structuring our team around regardless if he's tall.

Mofra
24-07-2015, 03:52 PM
He's played 2 career games and not kicked a goal, and he's struggled to get a kick in the VFL level. He's hardly worth structuring our team around regardless if he's tall.
Eade used to do this all the time - we had some weird stat that the only Bulldogs player to have played on a ruckman from every opposing team in 2007 was Lindsay Gilbee. Used to back him getting a chop-out in the air and then using his run to rebound.

bornadog
24-07-2015, 03:53 PM

I prefer Wood is used the way he has the whole season and not have to play tall.

bornadog
24-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Eade used to do this all the time - we had some weird stat that the only Bulldogs player to have played on a ruckman from every opposing team in 2007 was Lindsay Gilbee. Used to back him getting a chop-out in the air and then using his run to rebound.

yep and we had a great 2007.

Ozza
24-07-2015, 04:00 PM
If we ended up going in without Talia - then I'm very comfortable with Wood playing on Moore. Moore won't be able to get to many contests, Wood will zone off and take a heap of intercept marks and set up the play for us. It would be a massive win.

If Talia plays, then I'd say Talia should play on Jesse White anyway. Morris on the best player (ie. Swan if he is forward) and still let Wood play on one of the young kids.

ReLoad
24-07-2015, 05:42 PM
The whole Collingwood forward line will be running to dummy locations, they are expecting to win this with goals from midfielders, Swan, Pendlebury etc. these guys are highly underrated as forwards.

We will be seriously under the pump with our faux midfield, lets just hope that we can get enough of it to our forward line who on paper at least are far stronger.

If we don't win this game we will be lucky to play finals footy, so there is plenty in it for us.

bornadog
24-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Final Team

In Biggs

Out T Boyd

Collingwood, one change, Goldsack for Cloke

1eyedog
24-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Final Team

In Biggs

Out T Boyd

Shame for Tom, big game.

bornadog
24-07-2015, 06:04 PM
ROUND 17 – Western Bulldogs v Collingwood
Sunday 26 July, 1:10pm
Venue: Etihad Stadium

Full back
D Morris
J Roughead
M Boyd

Half back
R Murphy
E Wood
J Johannisen

Centreline
J Macrae
M Bontempelli
T Dickson

Half forward
L Dahlhaus
S Crameri
J Grant

Full forward
L Hunter
J Redpath
J Stringer

Followers
T Campbell
M Wallis
L Picken

Interchange
S Biggs
J Prudden
B Dale

C Daniel

Emergencies
T Boyd
M Talia
S Darley

In: S Biggs
Out: T Boyd
Milestone: T Dickson (50 games)

bornadog
24-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Shame for Tom, big game.

Dale lucky to keep his spot.

Collingwood have gone with a small forward line, so we have left out Talia.

Axe Man
24-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Does Roughy follow the resting ruckman into the the ruck to relieve Campbell or does Redpath give him a chop out? It will leave the backline a bit exposed if Roughy has to ruck, and the forward line without a genuine tall in Redpath isn't there.

This must be the shortest side we have fielded in quite a while.

Rocco Jones
24-07-2015, 06:22 PM
I get Beveridge's greater picture team selection thing but this week has me particularly baffled.

I get dropping T Boyd but combined with Talia not being in, makes us too short IMO. The resting 2nd ruck isn't super dangerous but can pinch a couple of goals just via being a bit too tall. I don't want us to sacrifice the rebound we get from our small-medium defenders. The thing is it is not like we are stacked with runners who can really influence the game too.

Eastdog
Does Roughy follow the resting ruckman into the the ruck to relieve Campbell or does Redpath give him a chop out? It will leave the backline a bit exposed if Roughy has to ruck, and the forward line without a genuine tall in Redpath isn't there.

This is where Hamling would have been handy. Has T Boyd got an injury? Hopefully Roughy has a better game this week. Well done Tory Dickson on 50 games for our club. Lets hope you have another good day out.

bornadog

Should have brought in Talia for Dale.

Rocco Jones
24-07-2015, 06:24 PM

I think we have to go with Redpath. I am not a big fan of Roughy as the #1 KPD. Thing is, they don't have anyone that is a #1 KPF. Still, I think T Boyd or Talia would offer a lot more to our structure than Dale or Prudden.

Eastdog
24-07-2015, 06:25 PM
I think we have to go with Redpath. I am not a big fan of Roughy as the #1 KPD. Thing is, they don't have anyone that is a #1 KPF. Still, I think T Boyd or Talia would offer a lot more to our structure than Dale or Prudden.

Yes thats one thing going in our favour they don't have a strong forward line. Need to make sure we get on top in the midfield battle.

bornadog
24-07-2015, 06:30 PM
All the key stats show both teams are neck and neck with Tackles, Stoppages, Centre Clearances, Clearances. Collingwood lead the AFL with Cont possessions and we are 4th.

Shaping up to be a tough game, and we need a good start, unlike the last 4 weeks.

Eastdog
24-07-2015, 06:34 PM
All the key stats show both teams are neck and neck with Tackles, Stoppages, Centre Clearances, Clearances. Collingwood lead the AFL with Cont possessions and we are 4th.

Shaping up to be a tough game, and we need a good start, unlike the last 4 weeks.

Yep very important we start well and stamp our authority on the game. That is the challenge. Im predicting a close match against my brother's mob the Pies.

bornadog
24-07-2015, 06:43 PM
Yep very important we start well and stamp our authority on the game. That is the challenge. Im predicting a close match against my brother's mob the Pies.

Are you both going?

Eastdog
24-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Are you both going?

Yep will most likely take the train in together and then when we get inside Etihad will be sitting separately :) and will probably meet up at Half time.

jazzadogs
24-07-2015, 06:49 PM
Perhaps we will go with our strategy from earlier in the year of not having a ruckman at times? I think it more likely that Roughy will just stick with Witts and Campbell will ruck against Grundy (for the most part), but I agree this leaves us exposed when Grundy is resting forward.

It's going to be interesting but we've seen already this year, with things such as Goodes v Sandilands, that Bevo isn't afraid to try things.

Axe Man
24-07-2015, 06:53 PM
Perhaps we will go with our strategy from earlier in the year of not having a ruckman at times? I think it more likely that Roughy will just stick with Witts and Campbell will ruck against Grundy (for the most part), but I agree this leaves us exposed when Grundy is resting forward.

It's going to be interesting but we've seen already this year, with things such as Goodes v Sandilands, that Bevo isn't afraid to try things.

Please Bevo let Caleb Daniel go up for a ruck contest, just for the laughs! :D

bornadog
24-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Please Bevo let Caleb Daniel go up for a ruck contest, just for the laughs! :D

What about third man up.:D

Bulldog4life
24-07-2015, 07:02 PM

When Bevo was coaching the Hawks backline he often had Cheney playing on a tall One game against Hawkins:eek:

boydogs
24-07-2015, 07:08 PM

Disclaimer: No inside information was used in the making of this prediction :D

The Underdog
24-07-2015, 07:11 PM
Match Committee, I counter your selections with a resounding "Huh?"

Go_Dogs
24-07-2015, 07:11 PM
I don't mind the final side given Moore has missed.

I suppose Dale or Prudden will start as the sub, and whilst both were a little quiet last week it's a good show of faith in them, which hopefully is rewarded. Dale doesn't need many touches to have an impact and Prudden may spend some time inside given our need in that area, which ultimately where he will play his best football IMO.

Dickson, Hunter, Crameri and Stringer will each need to get on the scoreboard this week and hopefully Redpath continues to build on his form. Our midfield also needs to get on the scoreboard and Wallis, Bont, Dahl etc can kick multiple goals and will need to.

Hopefully this game proves worth the 5.10am wake up - last week didn't!

comrade
24-07-2015, 07:54 PM
I hope Prudden doesn't get the kick out duties as much this week. I applaud Bevo's insistence on giving young guys responsibility and a fair crack but I'd much prefer Bobby take on the defence with laser sharp precision.

Rocco Jones
24-07-2015, 08:10 PM
I hope Prudden doesn't get the kick out duties as much this week. I applaud Bevo's insistence on giving young guys responsibility and a fair crack but I'd much prefer Bobby take on the defence with laser sharp precision.

Yeah, lots of things with us at the moment where it's short term vs long term. As much as I am confused by the week to week selections, to be 9-6, 6th, perform the way we have against the better sides and play so many kids....very hard to argue with Bev and co.

GVGjr
24-07-2015, 08:21 PM
While I admire the way we are backing the youngsters in I would have made two other changes and stuck with Boyd.
Prudden and Dale are very lucky to be in the side this week in what is a crucial game and I'm not taking anything away from them as players.

If the consensus was that Boyd needed a spell then Talia was the more appropriate replacement.

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-07-2015, 09:21 PM
While I admire the way we are backing the youngsters in I would have made two other changes and stuck with Boyd.
Prudden and Dale are very lucky to be in the side this week in what is a crucial game and I'm not taking anything away from them as players.

If the consensus was that Boyd needed a spell then Talia was the more appropriate replacement.

Little point in playing Boyd in the VFL. Without Hamling and Roberts you would have thought Talia who played well last week in the VFL would have been recalled. Prudden Dale and Hunter are being played because of injuries stopping our best side being played.

Eastdog
24-07-2015, 09:27 PM
Little point in playing Boyd in the VFL. Without Hamling and Roberts you would have thought Talia who played well last week in the VFL would have been recalled. Prudden Dale and Hunter are being played because of injuries stopping our best side being played.

Hunter I thought possibly may have been one that may have been omitted but he has been named.

Twodogs
24-07-2015, 10:13 PM

Yep agree with all of that. I really think Boyd should be playing. He should be playing at every opportunity.

hujsh
24-07-2015, 10:24 PM
I don't think there's been one week where I've not been surprised by our team selection in some way.

GVGjr
24-07-2015, 10:43 PM

Given the wet conditions and the quality of opponent we are likely to face tomorrow in the VFL I would just give Boyd a spell.
Regarding Prudden and Dale, I don't think their form warrants their retention in the side given we still have better options playing at Footscray. Webb, Hrovat, Jong, Talia, Darley and even Cordy would have been better options in my opinion.

Twodogs
25-07-2015, 12:09 AM
Prudden is very lucky. I can't understand why he is in the team and Webb is at Footscray.

bornadog
25-07-2015, 12:20 AM
Prudden is very lucky. I can't understand why he is in the team and Webb is at Footscray.

I think Dale is the luckier one with only 6 disposals last week.

kruder
25-07-2015, 12:22 AM
Obviously Biggs has been knocking on the door but he looks just a good VFL player for mine. Our midfield needs a massive game for us to win while Crameri really needs to hit the score board this week.

bornadog
25-07-2015, 12:24 AM
Obviously Biggs has been knocking on the door but he looks just a good VFL player for mine. Our midfield needs a massive game for us to win while Crameri really needs to hit the score board this week.

Prudden may be put into the midfield and Biggs takes his spot in the backline.

always right
25-07-2015, 12:42 AM
I don't know why anyone is surprised anymore. Bevo has shown time and time again that he will give blokes opportunity if their form with Footscray justifies it....and once they are elevated, he consistently gives them two or three games to adapt to senior footy. The club will reap the benefits of this in the next couple of years.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-07-2015, 02:02 AM
Interesting.

All I'll say is 'fair enough' and see how we go. You would think Prudden has to play midfield on the balance of the side, as that inside mid.

Go_Dogs
25-07-2015, 06:20 AM
I think Dale is the luckier one with only 6 disposals last week.

Had more than six, I believe. I think his form at VFL level has earned him another week - he has turned in very good performances when he has played at that level and we will benefit from getting him up to a consistent performer the more matches he plays - he's such a smart player and good user and exactly what we need to progress up the ladder quickly.

Mantis
25-07-2015, 08:31 AM
I don't know why anyone is surprised anymore. Bevo has shown time and time again that he will give blokes opportunity if their form with Footscray justifies it....and once they are elevated, he consistently gives them two or three games to adapt to senior footy. The club will reap the benefits of this in the next couple of years.

Agree, whilst I don't believe we have picked a team most suited to winning this Sunday, we are continuing to pick a side that will give us the best chance of success into the future.

I guess as we have been shitful for the best part of 5 years we are all clinging to the hope that we will see some finals action in about 8 weeks time, but this was always a year to develop and assess the list.. And we are sticking true to that.

1eyedog
25-07-2015, 09:14 AM
I don't think there's been one week where I've not been surprised by our team selection in some way.

And disappointed! As others have said stick to the plan...

ReLoad
25-07-2015, 09:59 AM
This team selection looks future based, not as and now.

I think its firmly in the "Player development" focus, if Bevo was 100% focussed on the now he would pick different players, that I have no doubt. We are well ahead of where we thought we were and all the game time he is putting into these kids holds us in good stead.

Still i reckon this week would have been great for Toyd to play.

G-Mo77
25-07-2015, 11:02 AM

Agree, whilst I don't believe we have picked a team most suited to winning this Sunday, we are continuing to pick a side that will give us the best chance of success into the future.

I guess as we have been shitful for the best part of 5 years we are all clinging to the hope that we will see some finals action in about 8 weeks time, but this was always a year to develop and assess the list.. And we are sticking true to that.

Yep it's very easy to get short sited, we'll be better for it long term. Well said guys.

Twodogs
25-07-2015, 11:53 AM
This team selection looks future based, not as and now.

I think its firmly in the "Player development" focus, if Bevo was 100% focussed on the now he would pick different players, that I have no doubt. We are well ahead of where we thought we were and all the game time he is putting into these kids holds us in good stead.

Still i reckon this week would have been great for Toyd to play.

Minson would play every week if we were really wanting to win I reckon.

G-Mo77
25-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane
AFL advises Jordan Roughead has withdrawn from rd17 WBulldogs team v Collingwood tmrw.
Michael Talia now in 22.
Lin Jong now an emergency.

azabob
25-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Paul Seedsman out for them. Darcy Moore in.

LostDoggy
25-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Well... we are extremely small now. Wood will have to take Jesse White? Morris Moore? Talia the resting ruck?

Who will give Campbell a chop out? Redpath?

Worrying.

G-Mo77
25-07-2015, 01:40 PM
Well... we are extremely small now. Wood will have to take Jesse White? Morris Moore? Talia the resting ruck?

Who will give Campbell a chop out? Redpath?

Worrying.

It'll probably have to be Redpath but that was probably going to be the case anyway when Boyd got dropped.

I'm guessing Wood to Moore, Morris to White, Talia to Grundy/Witts.

If our midfield aren't tight enough it's going to be a tough day for our back 6 but it's not like they have an elite forward there who can destroy us. Can't wait for Roberts to return!

GVGjr
25-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Been reported on Twitter that Roughead is out of tomorrow's game. Talia is in and Jong is now an emergency.

Go_Dogs
25-07-2015, 01:44 PM
We're looking very thin down back now.

1eyedog
25-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Jesse White come on down if you can't kick a bag tomorrow and prove Carey wrong you're never going to make it. I can see us restructuring our forward line around Jake and Redpath going back. I can't see how it is going to work down there with their talls to be honest.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Been reported on Twitter that Roughead is out of tomorrow's game. Talia is in and Jong is now an emergency.

Roughead is a loss but pleased to see Talia get another chance.

jeemak
25-07-2015, 02:36 PM
If everyone chips in and plays team defence we'll be OK. If we let the ball out of our forward line easily, or let them get behind us we'll be exposed as we are every week when we allow it to happen.

Rocco Jones
25-07-2015, 06:29 PM
It's going to be the case study for whether you bother to play tall defenders up against a mass of average tall AFL forwards.

White, Moore, Witts/Grundy. It doesn't get any more tall forwards/low quality than that.

bornadog
25-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Roughead is a loss but pleased to see Talia get another chance.
Played well last week against Geelong, so in not bad form.

boydogs
25-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Darcy Moore:
http://puu.sh/jc9Tx/982b1ba9a2.png

Brodie Grundy:
http://puu.sh/jca1N/ea8b20eced.png

Jarrod Witts:
http://puu.sh/jca3a/79f5bc5a3e.png

Jesse White:
http://puu.sh/jca4f/9a47952719.png

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
25-07-2015, 10:18 PM
The umpires are paying free kicks for anything and everything today I assume under orders to avoid stoppages so hopefully we can benefit from that tomorrow

bulldogtragic
25-07-2015, 10:21 PM
The umpires are paying free kicks for anything and everything today I assume under orders to avoid stoppages so hopefully we can benefit from that tomorrow

Poor Tommy. He's been molestered all year and the round when they crack down on everything he played magoos.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
25-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Sadly so

Twodogs
26-07-2015, 03:51 AM
Classic Us timing.

Hotdog60
26-07-2015, 09:36 AM

Our luck will be everything going to the pies.

Pickenitup
26-07-2015, 10:36 AM
I reckon Moz will take resting Ruckman Grundy and Witts are crap forwards Talia to White and Wood on Moore think we will run Pies off there feet

SlimPickens
26-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Agree with this ^^. Pretty sure we had Roarke smith playing on Witts earlier in the year (VFL level) and he did fine.

GVGjr
26-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Looking like it will be a huge crowd by our standards. Home game but I think we will be in the minority.

F'scary
26-07-2015, 01:44 PM
Looking like it will be a huge crowd by our standards. Home game but I think we will be in the minority.

Unfortunately due to family commitments I can't go today - spewing - but I guess I've had a pretty good run so far this season and I'll be going to a few more yet.

bornadog
26-07-2015, 01:52 PM
With 18 min before the match starts not that many here

Twodogs
26-07-2015, 07:48 PM
With 18 min before the match starts not that many here

They must have turned up at the last moment. :)

bornadog
26-07-2015, 11:51 PM
They must have turned up at the last moment. :)
they certainly did

Twodogs
27-07-2015, 12:21 AM
Like the VFL Grand Final..