PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 18

Eastdog
31-07-2015, 04:41 PM
This is the round 18 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Essendon is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
02-08-2015, 05:38 PM
You've got to know when to bank em, know when to bank em, know when to walk away, know when to run. BUMP.

bulldogtragic
02-08-2015, 06:56 PM
B:

Stew - Sweet mate.
Dickson - 21 and counting.
Daniel - Awesome little player.

A:

Libba & Smiths knees. They would've dined out today.
Umpiring maybe?
Third one.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Bankers
Hunter two consecutive weeks now that he has been sensational.

JJ his run and dash just opens up the field. Needs to still work on his disposal but he is so vital to how we play.

Crameri his best game for the club, hopefully he can maintain his form.

Anchors
A good win for sure, but we still butchered quite a few entries into our forward fifty, especially in the first half.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
02-08-2015, 07:09 PM
Bankers
Hunter is on fire
Crameri also
Wallis as well

Anchors
Commentators - his name is Josh Prudden get a clue

bulldogtragic
02-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Special mention: 18 goals in under 3 quarters of play.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
02-08-2015, 07:20 PM
And Dahl was great

hujsh
02-08-2015, 07:50 PM
Anchors
Commentators - his name is Josh Prudden get a clue

Did I hear them say Morris' first game was against Essendon against Mich Hahn?

bulldogtragic
02-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Did I hear them say Morris' first game was against Essendon against Mich Hahn?

Yep.

hujsh
02-08-2015, 08:09 PM
Yep.

Well the bright side is they've not only not forgotten the man-beast Hahn but are sub-consciously associating him with the likes of McLeod and Ricciuto.

The Underdog
02-08-2015, 08:17 PM
Bankers
Stewie- just outstanding
Wallis- another solid performance, keeps his feet and is great in close
Hunter- has stepped up to another level.

Anchors
Macrae- love his game but his kicking drives me up the wall
2nd quarter goal kicking- some shocking misses
Talia- I remain unconvinced

merantau
02-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Bankers.

WOOF for enabling me to feel I'm in the mix even though I'm a long way away.

Anchors.

Australia Plus Network.

As clueless as a blind, nose-less bloodhound when it comes to sniffing out which game is going to have more interest in it. Televised live two interstate teams - need I say more?

Remi Moses
02-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Bankers -Crameri, that was coming . Great game
Daniel , the bloke next to me kept saying "midget" every time he touched it.
Said it often
Team effort- just wonderful pulling down their pants
Anchors - the final ball into the forward 50, we butchered it early .
- the 3.20 time slot. Just a shocker
- sad to see a great player like Cooney finished as a league player.

always right
02-08-2015, 08:24 PM
B
Crameri....welcome back
Our backline. Thought we were vulnerable but Morris and Talia toiled manfully against much bigger opponents and they received enormous support from Wood, Biggs etc
Humiliating the bombers. Even their supporters have given up on them.

A
That first quarter was a shocker.....even Easton Wood was struggling.
We can still tidy up our kicking into 50
Can I name an opposition player? Brendan Goddard
needs to stop pointing and start chasing and tackling.

Remi Moses
02-08-2015, 08:26 PM
B
Crameri....welcome back
Our backline. Thought we were vulnerable but Morris and Talia toiled manfully against much bigger opponents and they received enormous support from Wood, Biggs etc

A

Great points AR. Noticed the Goddard

merantau
02-08-2015, 08:34 PM
B
Crameri....welcome back

A

Loved the post AR particularly the point about Goddard. Seems to have anointed himself as the Elder Statesman at Windy Hill. Bronwyn Bishop's love child - they can do wrong until of course it becomes plain for all to see that it is all unraveling.

Go_Dogs
02-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Bankers:
Team Defence - again shut down a side, kept our offensive game and did so without some quality (albeit young) tall timber
Crameri - he's back to his best, perhaps even exceeding his best for us, and doing it against the Bombers was oh so sweet
JJ - becoming a very underrated play maker who just continues to create run, and along with Biggs, means that we can use Murphy in different areas and not lose our drive

Anchors:
Set shots - again missed some ones that we should be kicking, could have had a bigger margin and put it away much earlier
Holding the ball interpretation - not a knock in the sense that it changed the game or went against us, but the consistency and interpretation still confuses me quite often

G-Mo77
02-08-2015, 08:44 PM
B
Crameri....welcome back

A

All he does is point and flap his arms about like a young bird trying to fly. The guy is a flog. He's up there with Brent Harvey on my list.

jazzadogs
02-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Bankers.

WOOF for enabling me to feel I'm in the mix even though I'm a long way away.

Anchors.

Australia Plus Network.

As clueless as a blind, nose-less bloodhound when it comes to sniffing out which game is going to have more interest in it. Televised live two interstate teams - need I say more?

I'd suggest that you look into the AFL global pass. With internet, you pay a (fairly exorbitant) fee and can then watch all games live or on replay through the app or website. Has been great for me!

Go_Dogs
02-08-2015, 08:54 PM
I'd suggest that you look into the AFL global pass. With internet, you pay a (fairly exorbitant) fee and can then watch all games live or on replay through the app or website. Has been great for me!

I bought one whilst I was O/S recently - if you have decent internet speed it works a treat.

merantau
02-08-2015, 09:24 PM

Sadly, where I am internet connection is really iffy so I've been loath to shell out.

Eastdog
02-08-2015, 09:31 PM
Bankers:

Our Forward line

Crameri - Really captured some good form

Stringer

Bonts - Liked the way he went today.

JJ as well. Gee just love his run of halfback.

Anchors

First quarter was very frustrating

Bulldog Joe
02-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Great points AR. Noticed the Goddard

Isn't that what so called senior players do in struggling teams.

Always demanding someone else do the work.

westbulldog
02-08-2015, 10:20 PM
B. Bob Murphy wearing No' 37 during the warm up and coin toss.

SonofScray
02-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Bankers:

Crameri - terrific game and a clear influence on the result, beat the Bombers off his own boot.
Wallis - monumental in the guts. Great balance.
Hunter - ball magnet. flash and dash.

Anchors:
Essendon - just a terrible collection of humans.
Tackling - still not quite at Men of Mayhem levels.
Set shot kicking - still iffy.

merantau
02-08-2015, 11:15 PM
"Essendon - just a terrible collection of humans."

Have to agree with you there. They could really do with an injection of some new blood into their list. They lacked stimulation out there today. Maybe they could supplement their list with some out of contract players in 2016. That might give them the boost they're lacking at the moment. May not be the magic bullet they're desperately seeking as, like anything, scoring un-contracted players can be a bit hit and miss; you never know if dropping a few of them into the mix will get you the formula you've been looking for. Still, it's worth experimenting when you've hit rock bottom and you're looking for a fix - any fix - to get you back on track.

Greystache
02-08-2015, 11:43 PM
Crameri- Best game of his career to back up from a good one last week. Hopefully his form is back to stay.

Wallis- Seems to win every contest every week, even when outnumbered. Had had an amazing season.

Hunter- Went back with the fight and took a courageous mark. Not sure I've seen that before from him.

Anchors

Talia- Just a flat out liability in defence. Can't halve a contest let alone win one.

Set shot goal kicking- Missing too many easy ones and it'll hurt us at some stage.

Brendan Goddard- What a flog. Do as I say not add I do :rolleyes:

westbulldog
02-08-2015, 11:43 PM
Touche Merantau, most subtle.

Sedat
03-08-2015, 12:40 AM
I could give 22 Bankers so I will :D

Anchor to the awful Ch.7 commentary team for a typically garbage performance - unfunny in jokes, mangled player names, horribly inept 'analysis'. Special anchor to that sniper Leigh Matthews for his dirty comment about the Dogs good form preventing the media talking about Boyd's contract. What a scumbag of a bloke.

bulldogtragic
03-08-2015, 12:52 AM
]I could give 22 Bankers so I will :D[/B]

Anchor to the awful Ch.7 commentary team for a typically garbage performance - unfunny in jokes, mangled player names, horribly inept 'analysis'. Special anchor to that sniper Leigh Matthews for his dirty comment about the Dogs good form preventing the media talking about Boyd's contract. What a scumbag of a bloke.

Reminds me instantly of this interview with "Bruce McAveney". But I could go on and on. So I will. :D642

The Bulldogs Bite
03-08-2015, 01:59 AM
I could give 22 Bankers so I will :D

Matthews is a fool. At the end he said the Dogs haven't beaten any top side yet - must have missed it when we flogged Richmond and beat Sydney at the SCG.

Must have been two crisis Brisbane board meetings on those days.

boydogs
03-08-2015, 02:46 AM
Bankers
Run out of defense - If that's what having only Talia & Morris as KP's brings then maybe we should keep it at that
Clearances - Campbell was better at directing his taps, our mids were well on top in close
Forward line - Functioned really well without a dominant tall marking target

Anchors
Set shot goal kicking - Could have buried them early, a lot of offenders
Talia giving away another 50 - He's competitive and hates getting beaten but needs to improve on this
Biggs turnover - Donated their first goal which could have cost us momentum

SonofScray
03-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Anchor:
Joe Daniher for his push in the back on Wood well after he'd taken the mark. It was a petulant, dirty act. Deserved a 50m penalty and a kick in the teeth for it. He was clearly frustrated and struggling with the idea that the world wasn't just going to be laid out in front of him. Mouthing off at Wood when they were 7 goals down. Ha!

azabob
03-08-2015, 08:12 AM
Don't worry SoS, Morris got his own back on Daniher later on.

whythelongface
03-08-2015, 09:32 AM
Bankers
Daniel - when he kept the ball in play and kept the essendon players at bay, feeding a hand pass to Wallis who then centred it and a mark was taken 20 metres out directly in front.
Crameri - 7.2 brilliant
Dickson - just doesn't miss

Anchors
Essendon- they are shot physically and mentally. they are offering zilcho.
First qtr was average but hey after that wow
Set shots - could so easily been over 100+ point margin

Twodogs
03-08-2015, 09:34 AM
Matthews is a fool. At the end he said the Dogs haven't beaten any top side yet - must have missed it when we flogged Richmond and beat Sydney at the SCG.

The problem is the vicious little thug is seen as some sort of oracle on football when in reality he is someone who can't even go to the toilet properly.

Greystache
03-08-2015, 10:38 AM

And West Coast, everyone's new hot tip for the flag.

Ozza
03-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Bankers:

JJ - I knew he had a great game and a big impact...but to hear on 3AW after the game that he had over 800 metres gained for the day...that is just phenomenal.

Wallis - just desperate to win every contest. Such a hungry player, really leads the way.

Crameri - Awesome. (And a special mention to the Essendon supporters in front of me, who were taking their flogging in good spirit and joking about how they should try and recruit 'that Crameri bloke').

Anchors:

Don't really want to give anchors after a good even team game...so consider these Light Anchors - to the three players who I think left the door open to having their spots in the side taken.

Prudden - wasn't bad by any stretch - but pretty quiet and didn't use the ball quite well enough a couple of times.
Redpath - again, wasn't bad, but didn't take his couple of opportunities and with the 3 main forwards getting plenty of chances - there weren't many scraps left over for him anyway.
Talia - Would be surprised if he played next week. Is well behind our three preferred tall defenders.

LostDoggy
03-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Bankers:

1. Stew for seven heaven.
2. Dahl for everything.
3. Easton for working his way back into the game.

Anchors.

1. Essendon supporters around us for being good sports and ruining my fun.
2. That's about it really.

Bankers:

Crameri - terrific game and a clear influence on the result, beat the Bombers off his own boot.
Wallis - monumental in the guts. Great balance.
Hunter - ball magnet. flash and dash.

Anchors:
Essendon - just a terrible collection of humans.
Tackling - still not quite at Men of Mayhem levels.
Set shot kicking - still iffy.

I walked out of Etihad knowing that you'd be in absolute rapture. The tackling wasn't quite there but Bevo also acknowledged that our game plan was evolving a fair bit and maybe, unfortunately, the Men of Mayhem has had to shift a bit to prevent teams from doing their homework on us and exposing flaws. I thought our ability to open up the game after Essendon's first quarter attempt to out-play us by stifling our run was fantastic.

Beat me to it 'Stache.

Let's face it guys, we could win the flag this year, beating Richmond and dickheads like Matthews would still not want to praise us, and instead would point to the Tigers not being up to the task after so long out in the wilderness. We could beat the Hawks and it'd be about how hard it is to go three times. We could beat the Eagles and it'd be about winning in Melbourne and the GF really should get a go over at Subi. The Swannies and they're in decline. Freo and it's Ross's uber-defensive game style.

We need to just ignore "men" like Matthews and get on with impressing the people we care about: our members. And I think we're all pretty impressed, aren't we?

Happy Days
03-08-2015, 04:38 PM

How do you expect the media to remember something from more that a month ago?

I'll even give them that West Coast and Richmond are markedly improved from when we played them, but COME ON Sydney on the road was massive and the reason anyone is talking about us in the first place.

Remi Moses
03-08-2015, 04:58 PM

Thinks we're not quite top 4 yet, and not up to the big boys.
First with the breaking news there Leigh .
He's one of those "know your place " type commentators .

Mofra
03-08-2015, 05:02 PM
Bankers:
- Team sacrifice as a whole: every player appears willing to do the little things that make their teammates better. Pleasing to see
- Kids like Caleb Daniel and Prudden, only a few games into their career but showed composure with the ball beyond their experience
- Crammers. Bloody hell that was enjoyable

Anchors:
- Big Tommy had to stop Giles getting ruck-possession in the contest: Giles had at least 5 I saw from the ruck contest. Better ruckmen will kill him (decent game otherwise)
- Biggs: promising game but horrible turnover to give the bombers their first goal
- First quarter. We didn't turn up until quarter time

Happy Days
03-08-2015, 05:21 PM
- First quarter. We didn't turn up until quarter time

What are you talking about we doubled their score.

LostDoggy
03-08-2015, 05:49 PM
First quarter. We didn't turn up until quarter time

We were just sitting back to see what Essendon were going to try on us, like a boxer who allows his opponent a few short jabs before knocking him flat.

LostDoggy
03-08-2015, 05:54 PM
Rope A Dope?

ratsmac
03-08-2015, 10:34 PM
How do you expect the media to remember something from more that a month ago?

I'll even give them that West Coast and Richmond are markedly improved from when we played them, but COME ON Sydney on the road was massive and the reason anyone is talking about us in the first place.

Yeah but so are we!

Ghost Dog
04-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Bankers: Crameri and Tory for sticking it up the Essendon cult.
Anchors: set shot kicking.

ratsmac
04-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Bankers

1. Dickson - 21 straight. Get the ball in this bloke's hands more often.

2. Crameri - 7 goals against the cheats. It must have felt good for him. It felt good for me!

3. Wallis - clearance machine. It's scary to think Libba (ours and the competition's best clearance player) will be back along side him next season. Opposition teams won't win a clearance.

Anchors

1. Talia - still has a way to go. Better teams will expose him.

2. Redpath - full forwards shouldn't miss from where he had his shots.

3. Essendon supporters - twats, but at least they still show up for half the game I suppose