PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs a chance for Etihad home final

bornadog
05-08-2015, 10:53 PM
Link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-western-bulldogs-etihad-home-final-chance-20150805-gis5mz.html)

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/photos/etihadstadium-3.jpg

The Western Bulldogs would appear likely to be able to play a final at Etihad Stadium if they maintain their form and hold on to fifth or sixth place and earn the right to host a final.

The first week of finals in Melbourne would likely see at least one game at the MCG and possibly one at Etihad Stadium.

If, as seems likely, the two West Australian teams finish as the top two they would both host finals in Perth. With the bottom four teams in the eight all Victorian it would, on current form, appear like there would be two finals in Victoria in week one.

The AFL is required to play one final at Etihad in either week one or two of the finals, or else bank that game for another year. But given the Bulldogs, presently fifth, could earn the right to host a final then the logical move would be for the Dogs to play at Etihad.

Doubtless the Bulldogs would prefer to play at Etihad if it were their choice as it is their home ground, they play it well and they have seldom been at the MCG.

While the Dogs beat Richmond at the MCG in round two when Marcus Bontempelli starred, they also lost comfortably to Melbourne there in round eight.

The logic of the game being at Docklands is stronger when North Melbourne and Geelong (both presently in seventh and eighth positions) could be their opponents, or failing that, the most likely alternative would be an interstate team.

In the unlikely event that the bigger drawing Collingwood fell into eighth place to play the Dogs in fifth and Richmond finished sixth and was able to host a final then the AFL might be inclined to play two MCG finals.

The AFL is free to put games where it pleases in the first week as the deal with the MCG requires ten finals to be played at the ground over a five-year period and the AFL is significantly in credit on that arrangement.

bornadog
05-08-2015, 10:54 PM
We have only lost two games at Etihad this season and could have won both, ie Saints (7pts) and Freo (13pts) games.

This would suit us nicely.

We still have Port, Melb and Nth to play there.

LostDoggy
06-08-2015, 12:03 AM
EF looks likely to be Rich-Geel, WB-Roos or Rich-Roos, WB-Geel.

Either way, you'd reckon the AFL will be giving Richmond the MCG game which suits us nicely.

What happens if Sydney drop to 5th and only one final is played in Melbourne?

Bulldog4life
06-08-2015, 12:30 AM
EF looks likely to be Rich-Geel, WB-Roos or Rich-Roos, WB-Geel.

Either way, you'd reckon the AFL will be giving Richmond the MCG game which suits us nicely.

What happens if Sydney drop to 5th and only one final is played in Melbourne?

We finish 4th.:)

Bulldog Joe
06-08-2015, 05:57 AM
This is just conjecture until the final make-up is known.

After West Coast lose the next 3 they will drop out of the top 4. We need to win those games to replace them.

comrade
06-08-2015, 07:57 AM
Let's make it first. These articles give me the heebie-jeebies.

Go_Dogs
06-08-2015, 08:44 AM

Yep, we're not locked in yet and a lot can change.

G-Mo77
06-08-2015, 09:46 AM

I'm still a doubting Thomas and think we may fall out. This weeks a danger game so is the Melbourne game, trip to West Coast is tough and then Norf and Brisbane away. Just one week at a time.......

:)

Mantis
06-08-2015, 09:54 AM
I'm still a doubting Thomas and think we may fall out. This weeks a danger game so is the Melbourne game, trip to West Coast is tough and then Norf and Brisbane away. Just one week at a time.......

Melbourne have a horrendous record at ES.. We will win that one and Brisbane won't have much incentive to win, especially if they lose this week.

And I can't see us losing to both Port and Nth.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-08-2015, 10:40 AM

Whilst i agree we need to take it one week at a time, not making the finals from here would be one of the greater disappointments in the clubs history. We need 2 more wins (3 will guarantee it) and with games against Port, Dees and Lions there are no excuses. Losing 2 of these with finals on the line would be a HUGE waste of what has been a great season.

But i do agree we need to take it one week at a time - even if we win 2 more games - if Adelaide or geelong or even GWS pull off huge upsets we can still be knocked out.

Getting the job done this weekend will be a huge step in the right direction. All we need to do is bring the same great effort we have seen the last 2 weeks (1st quarter against Dons not included) and we will take care of business as we're better than the Dees, Lions and Power

G-Mo77
06-08-2015, 01:10 PM
Melbourne have a horrendous record at ES.. We will win that one and Brisbane won't have much incentive to win, especially if they lose this week.

And I can't see us losing to both Port and Nth.

I'll celebrate when we get there Mantis. :D

Bulldog4life
06-08-2015, 01:21 PM

Oh ye of little faith:)

Happy Days
06-08-2015, 01:22 PM
Does this kind of suck for prospects in terms of getting tickets?

azabob
06-08-2015, 01:38 PM
Does this kind of suck for prospects in terms of getting tickets?

I guess that's the benefit of having a club membership.

Happy Days
06-08-2015, 01:42 PM
I guess that's the benefit of having a club membership.

Of course. It's been a while since I've had to use it this way.

Stefcep
06-08-2015, 02:33 PM
I agree with everyone about not looking too far ahead and this article is just conjencture

But I am surprised no-one else is mentioning that we could end up playing at the MCG playing Collingwood or Richmond ie their home ground even if they finish below us.

So what then is the point of finishing above them?

BulldogBelle
06-08-2015, 05:58 PM
One week at a time.

Someone got the photo wrong!!:o

BornInDroopSt'54
06-08-2015, 06:01 PM
This is just conjecture until the final make-up is known.

After West Coast lose the next 3 they will drop out of the top 4. We need to win those games to replace them.

Holy crap Bulldog Joe, you are right. West Coast's next three games are Hawthorn, Freo then us. They lose them then they are out of four and we step in if we beat Port, Melbourne and them. Crazy seeing as alternatively we may not make the eight.
It's great not to be irrelevant at this stage of the season and a bonus seeing as our team's 'chronological' time is in a couple of years.

Eastdog
07-08-2015, 11:17 AM

Agree comrade. While we are nearly there we still have another big month of footy coming up. It's very exciting.