PDA

View Full Version : Depth

bulldogtragic
08-08-2015, 05:41 PM
What a team performance. Stunning.

On the side we have Bob, JJ, Libba, Smith, Stevens, Roughy, Roberts, Tom Boyd, Honey, Hrovat and a punch of good kids. Next year we've got a high draft pick kid and/or fa/trade.

I'm not sure how we go about selection. Match Committee have a massive job.

whythelongface
08-08-2015, 05:53 PM
Awesome depth. Those that are selected from the magoos seem to step up when selected making it tough for those on the sidelines to get back in. Great signs for the immediate future.

LostDoggy
08-08-2015, 06:12 PM
Lets presume those near return are available come the first final. What would be your best 22?

bulldogtragic
08-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Lets presume those near return are available come the first final. What would be your best 22?

Too hard a question right now. What a problem to have.

1eyedog
08-08-2015, 06:19 PM
Everyone wants to play at the moment. Must be a great place to be around at training too. This is the best I've felt about the club ever and I'm old. Something special no doubt.

Twodogs
08-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Everyone wants to play at the moment. Must be a great place to be around at training too. This is the best I've felt about the club ever and I'm old. Something special no doubt.

Yep there is a real feeling around the place.

azabob
08-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Sporadically (less of late) it is mentioned on this board, but kudos to BMAC for pushing for our own VFL team and expanding football spending program.

Kudos to P.Gordon and others for helping the above endeavors.

We all are seeing in front of our eyes the benefit of having our own VFL team playing the same way as the AFL side.

When R.Murphy steps out, S.Darley steps in and doesn't miss a beat.

This is just one of countless examples that have occurred during this season.

F'scary
08-08-2015, 08:11 PM
Prudden and now Darley look like they have a lot of upside. Both are fairly solid in build too.

Start of the year, there were big worries about KPD positions. But now it looks like we have 3 adequate choices and Roughead as well if required.

Jarrad Grant has transformed the position he plays to great effect.

And Hunter and Biggs have suddenly joined the ball magnet squad from out of nowhere.

Go_Dogs
08-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Too hard a question right now. What a problem to have.

Agreed. We should be able to pick a side of 30. It's prejudicial to so many to not allow it.

Twodogs
08-08-2015, 10:09 PM
I've been meaning to mention this for a while but during the VFL Grand Final celebrations last year Peter Gordon stated that there were a dozen or more players in that team who were capable of playing AFL football. Everybody scoffed at the time but it looks like he was right.

Raw Toast
08-08-2015, 11:28 PM
I also think it's about the kind of coach we have - I remember marvelling at the way Malthouse when at the Pies could bring in kids who excelled while kids at most other clubs yoyo'ed in and out. The Hawks and Freo have been similar at times. The secret, as I see it at least, is a game-plan where new players can come in knowing they just have to do their job, not everything, just play a defined role in the team. The VFL team also enables this, and it's glorious to see how well almost all of the new players have done when called upon so far this season.

ledge
09-08-2015, 09:13 AM
Also helps when a heap of them played together in the VFL so they know each other fairly well.
VFL has been a huge influence on where we are now.

SonofScray
09-08-2015, 09:58 AM
The thing that hammers home the depth at the moment for me was my list of players we'd have to move on next season to make way for the incoming draft/trade period. I had a handful of opportunities to go and watch the VFL, so was feeling confident in my assessment that the list for consideration was:

Campbell, Minson, Cordy (not all, obviously) Fuller, Prudden, Darley, and Hunter (trade bait).

Now I may have been way off the mark anyway, with the exception of Fuller, or some of that list are still in the mix but since I made the call most of those guys have come in and been serviceable to very good. Carley yesterday with 24 touches and some assured kicking off of half back was very good. Prudden has been solid in his games since debut. Hunter has recaptured what we all saw in him early. The ruck system and personnel still feels a mystery to me.

The system Bev has us playing makes it easier for these guys to come in and get a job done, but it is still a credit to them and our depth that we've coped with so many changes and injuries.

bornadog
09-08-2015, 11:26 AM
The thing that hammers home the depth at the moment for me was my list of players we'd have to move on next season to make way for the incoming draft/trade period. I had a handful of opportunities to go and watch the VFL, so was feeling confident in my assessment that the list for consideration was:

Campbell, Minson, Cordy (not all, obviously) Fuller, Prudden, Darley, and Hunter (trade bait).

Now I may have been way off the mark anyway, with the exception of Fuller, or some of that list are still in the mix but since I made the call most of those guys have come in and been serviceable to very good. Carley yesterday with 24 touches and some assured kicking off of half back was very good. Prudden has been solid in his games since debut. Hunter has recaptured what we all saw in him early. The ruck system and personnel still feels a mystery to me.

The system Bev has us playing makes it easier for these guys to come in and get a job done, but it is still a credit to them and our depth that we've coped with so many changes and injuries.

Wouldn't be surprised if Fuller plays in the next few weeks and then does well. Bevo is happy to reward good form and if Fuller can show something, Bevo may give him a couple of games.

ledge
09-08-2015, 11:57 AM
I'm thinking Zaine Cordy might get a game soon.

LostDoggy
09-08-2015, 01:26 PM
It's going to be very hard to give kids games from here. With 5 weeks to finals and Murphy, JJ, Roughie, Roberts and maybe Boyd, Prudden needing to be slotted back in to the team, I think the next few weeks are about working out what is our best 22.

Awesome problem for us to have. There are going to be some unlucky boys come September.

Scorlibo
09-08-2015, 04:10 PM
It's going to be very hard to give kids games from here. With 5 weeks to finals and Murphy, JJ, Roughie, Roberts and maybe Boyd, Prudden needing to be slotted back in to the team, I think the next few weeks are about working out what is our best 22.

Awesome problem for us to have. There are going to be some unlucky boys come September.

Absolutely. I'm intrigued by the situation with Redpath and Boyd. Our forward line has looked so good the last couple of weeks, specifically in that they've all shared the goals around. I reckon we do look more dangerous with Redpath's mobility than with Boyd's aerial power, but Boyd has been the stronger performer for the bulk of the year. We will be too heavy playing both.

Twodogs
09-08-2015, 05:59 PM

Awesome problem for us to have. There are going to be some unlucky boys come September

Quite a few will be able to chase a premiership with Footscray.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2015, 08:02 PM
I'm thinking Zaine Cordy might get a game soon.

Followed by another 299.

Sedat
09-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Absolutely. I'm intrigued by the situation with Redpath and Boyd. Our forward line has looked so good the last couple of weeks, specifically in that they've all shared the goals around. I reckon we do look more dangerous with Redpath's mobility than with Boyd's aerial power, but Boyd has been the stronger performer for the bulk of the year. We will be too heavy playing both.
Assuming we make the finals, I think the increased intensity of September will see the bail-out option up forward come into play far more. That would put Boyd ahead of Redpath, who is definitely much better on the lead and under the roof at Etihad.

1eyedog
09-08-2015, 08:13 PM
The board would go into BT meltdown if both Grant and Z. Cordy where picked in the same team :D

LostDoggy
09-08-2015, 09:44 PM
The board would go into BT meltdown if both Grant and Z. Cordy where picked in the same team :D

BT might self combust!! :eek:

bulldogtragic
10-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Better yet, they both get involved in one series of play. Awesome... :D

To think people thought I was just mucking around when talking about how good Zaine could be. When I saw him last year win a game virtually off his own boot despite the Falcons being 30 points down in the last quarter, I thought wow. The kid has 'it'.

Mantis
10-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Assuming we make the finals, I think the increased intensity of September will see the bail-out option up forward come into play far more. That would put Boyd ahead of Redpath, who is definitely much better on the lead and under the roof at Etihad.

I also think we would be better suited with Boyd as our 2nd ruck against the other finals team who all have 2 pretty decent/ very good ruck options... Redpath is very much a fill-in in this role.

Whilst Redpath was very good in the last qtr and perhaps got some reward for effort the remainder of his game was very much so-so and a poor last qtr would've had his place in the team being seriously questioned.

Torpedo
10-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Is the depth of our list and the fact that we've played something like 37 of the players this year contributed to
the team not dropping off in the second half of the season. Pre season and early on just about all of us thought
the team would taper off due to young bodies tiring etc. This hasn't happened and we have been playing ballistic footy
for the last few weeks. Winning obviously helps get you through the week but I'm not sure how many players have played all season without a break from the game or an easier game or two in the VFL. Has that been a factor too?

Twodogs
10-08-2015, 04:16 PM
BT might self combust!! :eek:

He'd turn into butter like the tiger that ran around in circles in the Jungle Story.

comrade
10-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Better yet, they both get involved in one series of play. Awesome... :D

To think people thought I was just mucking around when talking about how good Zaine could be. When I saw him last year win a game virtually off his own boot despite the Falcons being 30 points down in the last quarter, I thought wow. The kid has 'it'.

I like the fact that he HATES being beaten. Got outmarked yesterday and he was filthy on it.

boydogs
10-08-2015, 08:20 PM
I like the fact that he HATES being beaten. Got outmarked yesterday and he was filthy on it.

Talia is the same, always drops an F-bomb as he sets the mark

Twodogs
10-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Talia must swear like a trooper then.

strebla
10-08-2015, 10:48 PM
Not a lot of love for Talia but I thought he was good on the weekend and I loved how he set up the back line.i think he is maturing and we would be silly to trade him .

1eyedog
10-08-2015, 11:01 PM
Agreed he could become a very good player. Different type of player but Rance was a whipping boy for years. Talia could easily become our best key back. He's more more mobile than Roberts and more competitive. Roberts is a better mark.

azabob
10-08-2015, 11:09 PM
Agreed he could become a very good player. Different type of player but Rance was a whipping boy for years. Talia could easily become our best key back. He's more more mobile than Roberts and more competitive. Roberts is a better mark.

Unsure how you determine Talia is more competitive than Roberts.

1eyedog
11-08-2015, 12:46 AM
True. More emotional perhaps. Hates getting beaten and it shows. Has given away two 50m penalties in 3 weeks so perhaps more undisciplined than Roberts as well.

Go_Dogs
11-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Not a lot of love for Talia but I thought he was good on the weekend and I loved how he set up the back line.i think he is maturing and we would be silly to trade him .

Agreed, thought he had a few good moments and certainly think he's still got a future with us.

It's likely he'll get a few more weeks before Roberts is back in the mix for senior selection, so hopefully he has another improved week coming up. The one thing Talia definitely has over our other tall defenders (at this stage) is durability, which shouldn't be underrated either.