PDA

View Full Version : Could we afford to play Bobby in attack now or next year?

bulldogtragic
12-08-2015, 03:03 PM
I vividly recall how amazing Bobs year at CHF was before Rocca slung him into doing his ACL. He was a brilliant forward, tall enough, quick enough and sublime skill. His running patterns and reading the play as a forward is elite.

With Boyd, JJ, Biggs, Hunter, Darley, Prudden, Webb, Cordy etc, all staking claims to the HBF - could we spare Bobby to play a lot more time forward?

Boyd, Redders and Roughy as talls
Crameri, Dickson, Stringer, Grant cycling through, Bonts resting as mid talls
Hrovat, Honey, Daniel, Dahl resting as crumbs

Bob gets the least skilled defender, who he will murder or pushes the pecking order down for the others. He's having a brilliant year no doubt down back, but if we can cover him to satisfaction would or could we unleash him and add another dynamic to an already hyper skilled forward line?

hujsh
12-08-2015, 03:14 PM
As long as it's not putting too much stress on his body. He's been much more durable since going half back.

LostDoggy
12-08-2015, 03:23 PM
I think that Bob's intelligent disposal and playmaking capabilities still makes him a lock for our starting defensive 6, however I really like his little pinch hitting runs forward.

As his running capacity diminishes over the next year or 2, I can see him going forward more and more.

The point about competition in our back 6 is well taken. If we were to attempt to pick our optimal back 6 now, one of Morris, Murphy, Hamling, Roberts, Boyd, JJ, Wood has to miss out, let alone all the up and comers looking for opportunity.

jeemak
12-08-2015, 03:42 PM
I hope we keep mixing it up with him, as it makes us less predictable.

Can we count on him applying the appropriate level of defencive pressure week in, week out to be a permanent mid/small forward?

craigsahibee
12-08-2015, 03:46 PM
What's great about our defenders is that most of them (Dale excepted) can also go forward if needed and be comfortable further up the ground.

PeanutsĀ² point about Bob as a pinch hitter is a good one. Opposition clubs can spend all week putting time into Murph at HB only to see him drift forward. Our versatility is one of our great assets.

bornadog
12-08-2015, 03:46 PM
I like him down back these days, however, up forward to confuse the opposition every now and then as Jeemak says.

LostDoggy
12-08-2015, 04:06 PM
I hope we keep mixing it up with him, as it makes us less predictable.

Can we count on him applying the appropriate level of defencive pressure week in, week out to be a permanent mid/small forward?

I understand the point, but there is something ironic about suggesting that a defender may be best kept primarily in defence because his defensive capabilities may not be sufficient to be a regular forward.

Another reason is that his creative abilities are more valuable to us as a defender than they are as a forward.

These kind of comments would've seemed crazy 20 years ago. Things have changed.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-08-2015, 04:23 PM
Opposition clubs can spend all week putting time into Murph at HB only to see him drift forward. Our versatility is one of our great assets.

This can be used as a real weapon.

It wouldn't be something I'd do every week, but Murph pinch hitting at CHF could really trouble some better sides. A move like this could be the difference in a big game IMO.

Cyberdoggie
12-08-2015, 05:32 PM
He's always been a much better defender and adds far more to the team breaking lines across half back.

stefoid
12-08-2015, 05:35 PM
If we can cover him with an adequate replacement next year, what about playing Wood as a forward next year?

I liken him to Andrew Walker who in his best year forward took 111 marks and kicked 56 goals.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-08-2015, 05:45 PM
He's always been a much better defender and adds far more to the team breaking lines across half back.

In terms of consistency/longevity I agree, but many forget Murph was once the best CHF in the game circa 2005-2006 prior to his knee injury.

1eyedog
12-08-2015, 05:50 PM
In terms of consistency/longevity I agree, but many forget Murph was once the best CHF in the game circa 2005-2006 prior to his knee injury.

That was a long time ago and being a forward, especially a mobile CHF, puts far more stress on the body than a running HB. I don't see the need to play him forward other than to amuse the opposition coach for 5 minutes at the start of the game. He knows his game down back now and I don't think he would be anywhere near as effective up forward as he was circa 05-06.

bulldogtragic
12-08-2015, 05:55 PM

He was red hot lock for All Australian CHF prior to Rocca slinging him and doing his knee. I think that period of his career had him as one of the best forwards we had ever had in my lifetime. He's a brilliant player everywhere, but he's just as good a forward than defender. He's a gun.

If a Biggs can do close to his role than Murphy forward on a spudly type is a blood bath, or Crameri and Dickson hand out blood baths. We couldn't put Biggs forward and get the same result as what Murphy could deliver. Bob is a gun in every position, but in the totality of what he could do as a forward versus replacing the HBF with JJ and Biggsfor example, the net gain could be big. I think the main question I have is who takes the kicking out job off Bob. I think if we can address that and have good cover, and especially if the sub is axed, Bob forward makes me smile with what the unit could do.

boydogs
12-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Bevo's already onto this BT, it's a good move to shake things up and give our plethora of HBF options a go

Rocco Jones
12-08-2015, 09:44 PM
Whether it's paranoia or logic, I am concerned about Bobby getting injured as a forward. It doesn't help that he was an out after playing forward. Different physical demands. Again, may be just paranoia.

whythelongface
12-08-2015, 10:50 PM
No doubt his best position for us at the moment is as a HBF. In saying that there is no reason why he can't spend time in the forward line, particularly if both JJ and Biggs are in the team along with Wood and Boyd. This equates to a surplus of mid size defenders and depending on whom we are playing it could mean that Murph plays more forward (as he is the most capable).

We also have a very decent stock of small to mid size forwards in Stringer, Crameri, Dahlhaus, Dickson. The opportunity certainly is there particularly if we only go in with Redpath or Boyd as our tall target and add Murphy to the forward line with those mentioned above.

I am neither for nor against the move as long as it is flexible and he is needed in defence he can be slotted straight back in.