PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 21 vs West Coast

Eastdog
15-08-2015, 08:48 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 21 match against West Coast at Domain Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2015, 05:48 PM
Tom Boyd, Hrovat, Roberts, Roughy etc.

Hard to break in, but Boyd as a minimum for me.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2015, 07:25 PM
Schofield injured, doesn't look like he will be playing next week. Perhaps we go taller with Boyd in form.

JJ for Darley at a minimum.

GVGjr
16-08-2015, 07:39 PM
I will write up a bit more later but Boyd for Redpath and JJ for Darley. Can we wait another week for either Roberts or Roughy?
Do we give someone a spell?

jazzadogs
16-08-2015, 07:55 PM
JJ for Darley is my minimum, as long as his hamstring is okay. It hasn't really been spoken about but I love the conservative approach they have taken with JJ. Preventing a Cyril Rioli style recurrence, hopefully.

It sounds like Boyd has picked up in the last few weeks, but I hope if he does come in he is willing to present and work hard into space rather than attempting to out muscle his opponent every time. Redpath had been doing this quite well the last few weeks, it's been the major difference between the two IMO.

azabob
16-08-2015, 07:56 PM
In: Boyd, JJ

Out: Redpath, Darley

hujsh
16-08-2015, 07:57 PM
Darley should be out and I want Boyd in but if JJ comes back then I'm not sure who to drop apart from Daniel to do that

Doc26
16-08-2015, 08:12 PM
I will write up a bit more later but Boyd for Redpath and JJ for Darley. Can we wait another week for either Roberts or Roughy?

Crameri looked sore to me at the end, possibly groin.

ReLoad
16-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Darley out, JJ in.

Calls for redpath to be dropped are ludicrous.

westbulldog
16-08-2015, 08:46 PM
Darley out, JJ in.

agreed

Mantis
16-08-2015, 08:49 PM

Perhaps, but we need to play Boyd next week and I don't think we can play both Redpath and Boyd in the same team at Subi.

GVGjr
16-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Darley out, JJ in.

He drops a few too many for my liking. I think Boyd is the better forward/ruckman option.

F'scary
16-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Darley out, JJ in.

Dunno - he has gotten his piece of the action in the last 2 weeks in the last quarter when they other team had basically surrendered.

Scorlibo
16-08-2015, 09:00 PM
He drops a few too many for my liking. I think Boyd is the better forward/ruckman option.

He's much more mobile though. Creates space for other players in the forward line. The forward line looks so well balanced at the moment that it'd be a brave decision to tweak it.

ReLoad
16-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Dunno - he has gotten his piece of the action in the last 2 weeks in the last quarter when they other team had basically surrendered.

He was disappointing in the 3rd he should have held those two marks, but he did a lot of work off the ball and chased longer and harder than Boyd has done at any stage this year.

That pass in the first quarter was the best kick I've ever seen, 40m and didn't go above the Bonts eye level.

In saying all the above I don't think there is a place for both Boyd and Redpath, but at the minute, big Jack is trucking along.

I was impressed with his ruck work too, although Soups is now our clear and obvious first choice, he was superb today.

Rocco Jones
16-08-2015, 09:36 PM
I think Tom Boyd comes in. Who goes out for him is the question. Darley or Redpath. Would be super harsh on Redpath and prefer him over Darley, but 1 tall forward + 1 ruckman really looks our best set up for this season.

LostDoggy
16-08-2015, 09:40 PM
I suspect there'll be a few changes this week, which is probably harsh given our 3rd 10 goal + win in a row.

I think WCE at Subi will need a little more legspeed in the middle. Jong or Daniel to get a rest for Hrovat or maybe Honeychurch (as Sub given his suss tank).

JJ is a must if right, with Darley the obvious omission.

I think Boyd is a must. I'd like to see Redpath retained, the big 3 (Jake, Stew, Tory) have all been up for a while and all have looked sore at various stages in recent weeks. I reckon one of them will get the General Soreness.

I think Boyd/Redpath can work at Subi where there is extra space for hard leads. Encouragement for mids to be long and direct under extra pressure at Subi also a plus.

I also reckon a fresh and fired up Naitanui will be a massive handful and the extra cover/rotation for Campbell will be another benefit.

To top it off, WCE have their best key defenders injured, 2 really big forwards can expose this weakness.

G-Mo77
16-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Darley the obvious one. Geez I felt for him today. It seemed like one of those days when you make a few erro4s you put pressure on yourself for the next one. Would JJ be right to go next week?

F'scary
16-08-2015, 09:58 PM
He was disappointing in the 3rd he should have held those two marks, but he did a lot of work off the ball and chased longer and harder than Boyd has done at any stage this year.

That pass in the first quarter was the best kick I've ever seen, 40m and didn't go above the Bonts eye level.

In saying all the above I don't think there is a place for both Boyd and Redpath, but at the minute, big Jack is trucking along.

I was impressed with his ruck work too, although Soups is now our clear and obvious first choice, he was superb today.

True, I was wrong - Redpath was good in the first too. Not just the last.

Doc26
16-08-2015, 10:04 PM
Darley the obvious one. Geez I felt for him today. It seemed like one of those days when you make a few erro4s you put pressure on yourself for the next one.

That's a nice way of putting it G-Mo and certainly not reflective of the emotion that I had each time he disposed of it. He was way off today.

Throughandthrough
16-08-2015, 10:51 PM
surely we have to spin the wheel and try both Boyd and Redpath against WCE mini-league defence.

comrade
16-08-2015, 11:12 PM
surely we have to spin the wheel and try both Boyd and Redpath against WCE mini-league defence.

Wellingham, Sheppard and Hurn will have a field day if Boyd and Redpath are in the same forward line. I just can't see us playing both and Redpath, as solid as he has been, didn't have a great game today whilst Boyd has done everything possible to gain a recall.

IN: Boyd, JJ, Honeychurch
OUT: Redpath, Darley, which ever small/mid forward is the sorest out of Dickson, Crameri & Stringer.

kruder
16-08-2015, 11:25 PM

Yes we can wait until Roberts and Roughhead show form first. Even when we have been desperate for talls down back in the last month the match committee has resisted the temptation. It has worked well all year and may it long continue.

Rocket Science
16-08-2015, 11:36 PM
Worth noting a couple of comments from Bev in the post game presser...

Pointedly mentioned given our busy travelling schedule over the next 3 rounds and the longer term stakes we "need to look after ourselves" at the selection table. Cue some judicious resting.

Also suggested Roughy underdone courtesy of not being able to run much while rehabbing his foot, and likely unavailable just yet.

On a side note, I wonder if we'll regain Stevens for the finals...he'd be a useful bolster for our on ball crew.

Remi Moses
16-08-2015, 11:39 PM
Bevo's gone with the " travelling wilboury's "
Fair musical talent there.
In JJ out Darley ( bit stiff)

LostDoggy
16-08-2015, 11:40 PM
Next week will be a great test of our key defenders. Kennedy/Darling are big, mobile boys with good hands. Naitanui will push forward too.

With the open spaces our team defence will be challenged also.

Our boys down back have been spectacular over the last 8 or 9 weeks but this will be their biggest test for some time.

I thought Hamling and Talia were pretty good this week. They deserve another shot. I like Hamling on Kennedy and Talia on Darling.

Remi Moses
16-08-2015, 11:42 PM
Wellingham, Sheppard and Hurn will have a field day if Boyd and Redpath are in the same forward line. I just can't see us playing both and Redpath, as solid as he has been, didn't have a great game today whilst Boyd has done everything possible to gain a recall.

IN: Boyd, JJ, Honeychurch
OUT: Redpath, Darley, which ever small/mid forward is the sorest out of Dickson, Crameri & Stringer.

Going to be interesting if we put all our eggs in the trip to Perth, or keep a few for the Norf game.

Rocco Jones
16-08-2015, 11:53 PM
Going to be interesting if we put all our eggs in the trip to Perth, or keep a few for the Norf game.

If we can't make the top 4 going into the final round, do we basically rest a dozen or so players?

LostDoggy
17-08-2015, 12:07 AM
If we can't make the top 4 going into the final round, do we basically rest a dozen or so players?

The only other scenario where this would not be on would be if Adelaide was within a game of us. We wouldn't want to fall below them (say 7th to 6th) and have to go over there for an EF.

G-Mo77
17-08-2015, 12:09 AM
That's a nice way of putting it G-Mo and certainly not reflective of the emotion that I had each time he disposed of it. He was way off today.

Really off. His ball use is usually ok. So many times he turned it over, I lost count. Shame, he was pretty good last week.

Rocco Jones
17-08-2015, 12:23 AM
Could we bring JJ back via the VFL? Give him slightly reduced game time, have him fresh for the 6 day break vs North? Roughy, Roberts and JJ amongst others to replace those struggling off a 6 day Subi break.

LostDoggy
17-08-2015, 12:31 AM
His run will just be so handy there though.

Rocco Jones
17-08-2015, 12:49 AM
His run will just be so handy there though.

Agreed but Beveridge isn't a this week kind of coach.

LostDoggy
17-08-2015, 01:41 AM
Agreed but Beveridge isn't a this week kind of coach.

True, but if he's right I'd think the overall preferable play would be to play him this week and then rest in R22 if his recovery is in any way an issue.

bornadog
17-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Could we bring JJ back via the VFL? Give him slightly reduced game time, have him fresh for the 6 day break vs North? Roughy, Roberts and JJ amongst others to replace those struggling off a 6 day Subi break.

Knowing Beveridge, that is what will happen. I don't mind this, we need to look at the bigger picture.

merantau
17-08-2015, 10:04 AM
The Redpath/Boyd conundrum is a real dilemma. If both play forward it places more pressure on our smaller forwards to lock the ball in as the big boys have no pace. But I like Big Jack. He's done enough for mine. Rotating him, Boyd and Campbell through the ruck/forward line could be an option with Campbell going to the bench when he needs a breather. Being on the MC is a tough gig at the moment.

bornadog
17-08-2015, 10:21 AM
The Redpath/Boyd conundrum is a real dilemma. If both play forward it places more pressure on our smaller forwards to lock the ball in as the big boys have no pace. But I like Big Jack. He's done enough for mine. Rotating him, Boyd and Campbell through the ruck/forward line could be an option with Campbell going to the bench when he needs a breather. Being on the MC is a tough gig at the moment.

I think it would be hard to drop Redpath. I was disappointed he dropped marks, but he created so many goals as well. That hitout in the last to Stringer who ran into the open goal was just fantastic and definitely set play.

SlimPickens
17-08-2015, 10:23 AM
I think it would be hard to drop Redpath. I was disappointed he dropped marks, but he created so many goals as well. That hitout in the last to Stringer who ran into the open goal was just fantastic and definitely set play.

Loved how the boys reacted to Jakes goal.

Doc26
17-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Knowing Beveridge, that is what will happen. I don't mind this, we need to look at the bigger picture.

Unless for JJ having last week off was taking care of the bigger picture.

Mofra
17-08-2015, 10:36 AM
If JJ's not fit?
JJ for Darley is a given if he's ok, if not Hrovat has been in good VFL form and can rotate through the middle which will be useful at Subi (and the Rat's had an 8 day break too).

Redders vs Boyd will be a tough call - Roughy & Fletch need more time so this is the only other change I could think of, Boyd demanding a spot yet Redpath playing well enough to hold it. MC have a really hard call coming up

The Underdog
17-08-2015, 10:48 AM
The match ups on their key forwards is interesting. I like Morris on Darling and Hamling on Kennedy but not sure if Talia on the resting ruck works. I thought Talia was generally ok yesterday but Melbourne scored 2 goals due to his lack of strength in the contest in the 3rd quarter. Do we need Roughy to go against the 200cm guys or do we stick with the current set-up?
Outside of the obvious JJ for Darley, not sure if I'd make any other changes. Boyd could be a chance if they want a taller 2nd ruck match up but Bevo doesn't seem to be too bothered there. His lack of pace would concern me at Subi.

Templeton31
17-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Bevo on 3AW before the Dees game said something like "assuming JJ gets through training this week he'll be on the plane to Perth..."

Hard with Redders and TBoyd. TBoyd better at bringing the ball to ground, contesting the long ball and the ruck I reckon. Redpath much better on the lead, having the pace to pressure the defence and getting away from his opponent to make an option.

Ozza
17-08-2015, 01:16 PM
JJ will be coming back in for Darley.

Obviously, with the Boyd/Redpath/Both discussion....will be interesting to see what happens there. I would like to see Boyd back in - and I think we have to do it now. I think we should have a mindset that he plays in the finals - unless his form is way off when he is back in the side. Boyd is very good as a 2nd ruck/around the ground. And has played well at VFL level 3 weeks in a row in difficult (windy) conditions. Hard to get a sense of how tricky the breeze is at Whitten until you get out there on the ground for a kick. I imagine Willy was windy as always, also.

stefoid
17-08-2015, 03:49 PM
Someone on BigFooty made an interesting comment about Daniel - short legs on a big ground. Dale for Daniel perhaps, purely to suit the game and opponent?

Bulldog Joe
17-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Someone on BigFooty made an interesting comment about Daniel - short legs on a big ground. Dale for Daniel perhaps, purely to suit the game and opponent?

That is completely and utterly irrelevant. While Daniel might be due a spell at Footscray, the length of his legs has nothing to do with it.

Didn't he excel in the beep test?

The beep test is the best "endurance under pressure" indicator and endurance becomes important on bigger grounds.

Sedat
17-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Good call Rocco. JJ was listed as 'hamstring tightness' and Subi is the one ground that fully tests the hamstring (not to mention any lost match fitness). I'd love to bring him back in against Norf and cherry ripe from his injury after having had a good run in the magoos next week.

Roughy and Fletcher need to continue finding touch and match fitness in the twos this week IMO. They'd come into calculations the following week as well.

Simply can't see Redpath and Boyd both playing this week, unless Bevo wants to trial such a set-up on match day to see if it works and to have in the kitbag to bring out in September if the situation demands it. Although interestingly, the only match in which they both played together was against the same opponent in Round 1. Schofield and McGovern out means Yeo and Shepherd have to play tall down back for them, although that means they should have more defensive rebound if we go with 1 less runner in our team. Campbell plays and we need him to against Nic Nat and Sinclair.

Probably the most interesting selection week all season.

Happy Days
17-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Simply can't see Redpath and Boyd both playing this week, unless Bevo wants to trial such a set-up on match day to see if it works and to have in the kitbag to bring out in September if the situation demands it. Although interestingly, the only match in which they both played together was against the same opponent in Round 1. Schofield and McGovern out means Yeo and Shepherd have to play tall down back for them, although that means they should have more defensive rebound if we go with 1 less runner in our team. Campbell plays and we need him to against Nic Nat and Sinclair.

Probably the most interesting selection week all season.

Just on their KPD shortage, is it really as much of a quagmire as it looks? Sheppard has been punching above his weight all season and going pretty well, and Yeo is more than capable. Perhaps the flow on effect of Yeo being forced to lock down is a bigger negative than the actual match ups themselves.

I'd still play Boyd over Redpath in the hope of trying to stretch them, but I'm less certain having thought about it than I was straight after hearing Schofield might not play.

As per Nicnat, our heavy use of the third man up on the weekend seemed to be a dress rehearsal as much as a tactic to curb Gawn (and damn if it wasn't effective - Jong and Bontempelli seem made for it). Not as uncomfortable here either, and there is no guarantee poor Nic will play.

Darley out for JJ or Rat or even Webb.

stefoid
17-08-2015, 04:30 PM
That is completely and utterly irrelevant. While Daniel might be due a spell at Footscray, the length of his legs has nothing to do with it.

Didn't he excel in the beep test?

The beep test is the best "endurance under pressure" indicator and endurance becomes important on bigger grounds.

Dunno - he has struggled to get touches early in games when everyone else has fresh legs, so maybe if the ball is moving quickly up and down Subi, he might struggle to make position quickly enough?

Sedat
17-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Just on their KPD shortage, is it really as much of a quagmire as it looks? Sheppard has been punching above his weight all season and going pretty well, and Yeo is more than capable. Perhaps the flow on effect of Yeo being forced to lock down is a bigger negative than the actual match ups themselves.
It's not because of their buy-in to team defence (not dissimilar to us). But there comes a tipping point from losing personnel and Schofield on the weekend might just be it, coming only a week after losing McGovern. Who is next in line as a traditional key defender - Barrass? That places even more strain on Yeo and Sheppard to do the heavy lifting.

Bulldog Joe
17-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Dunno - he has struggled to get touches early in games when everyone else has fresh legs, so maybe if the ball is moving quickly up and down Subi, he might struggle to make position quickly enough?

Your point about struggling to get touches early in games actually supports what I am saying.
He is actually more endurance than speed and that would suggest Subi would actually suit what he brings later in games, as those stonger on the speed runners tire.
Again the length of his legs have no relevance

LostDoggy
17-08-2015, 04:47 PM

I'd still play Boyd over Redpath in the hope of trying to stretch them, but I'm less certain having thought about it than I was straight after hearing Schofield might not play.

As per Nicnat, our heavy use of the third man up on the weekend seemed to be a dress rehearsal as much as a tactic to curb Gawn (and damn if it wasn't effective - Jong and Bontempelli seem made for it). Not as uncomfortable here either, and there is no guarantee poor Nic will play.

Darley out for JJ or Rat or even Webb.

These guys are wingers/back flankers. Sheppard is 186cm/82 kg (Bob Murphy is taller and heavier), Yeo 190/86. They are not
a little light on, they are way deficient in this area.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-08-2015, 05:46 PM
We can stretch Yeo and Sheppard etc. without playing both our KPFs. They'll have a hard enough time finding quality defenders to match up on each of Crameri, Stringer, Dickson and T. Boyd. They'll find it harder to run off the this set-up too - playing our two KPFs is a risk we just don't need to take.

The key is the midfield.

The interesting selection for me, is whether we want to bring in Roughy for insurance for both ruck and defense.

LostDoggy
17-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Why would we bring in an underdone Roughy in for ruck cover when Boyd is raring to go?

The Bulldogs Bite
17-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Why would we bring in an underdone Roughy in for ruck cover when Boyd is raring to go?

Eagles' tall forwards is a different proposition from basically any other club in the league. Kennedy, Naitanui/Sinclair, Darling - tough to match up on, and we may be tempted to bring Roughy in so that he can play FB/provide short spells in the ruck whilst allowing us to maintain our forward structure with Boyd at FF.

All, of course, depends on his fitness which looked rusty in the VFL.

Mantis
17-08-2015, 06:02 PM
Eagles' tall forwards is a different proposition from basically any other club in the league. Kennedy, Naitanui/Sinclair, Darling - tough to match up on, and we may be tempted to bring Roughy in so that he can play FB/provide short spells in the ruck whilst allowing us to maintain our forward structure with Boyd at FF.

All, of course, depends on his fitness which looked rusty in the VFL.

I would think that Roughy will be given one more match in the VFL to get some match practice/ fitness... Just have to back in Hamling, Talia & Morris to get the job done, with help from the mids & other defenders.

Ghost Dog
17-08-2015, 06:13 PM
Some questions and excuse my ignorance

When will Koby Stevens be back? Is he done for the year?

What are the chances of Nic Nat playing?

Who is the more mobile out of Tom Boyd and Redpath do you think? Surely the bigger ground at Perth would mean the more mobile player gets picked, if their marking ability is about on par.

So many questions.....

Rocco Jones
17-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Just a sidenote on the playing both of Redpath and T Boyd debate....I think our best 22 has Roberts and Roughy still to come in. Talia goes out but that means one extra tall and the 2nd ruck spot accounted for. Unless Roughy takes the #1 ruck spot, I really can't see us having T Boyd, Redpath, Roberts, Hamling and Roughead in the same side.

Cyberdoggie
17-08-2015, 06:30 PM

Who is the more mobile out of Tom Boyd and Redpath do you think? Surely the bigger ground at Perth would mean the more mobile player gets picked, if their marking ability is about on par.

So many questions.....

Fitness and form wise it will be a close call for him i'd say. Won't get much of a chance to play AFL footy before the finals.

Sedat
17-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Just a sidenote on the playing both of Redpath and T Boyd debate....I think our best 22 has Roberts and Roughy still to come in. Talia goes out but that means one extra tall and the 2nd ruck spot accounted for. Unless Roughy takes the #1 ruck spot, I really can't see us having T Boyd, Redpath, Roberts, Hamling and Roughead in the same side.
Yep, it looks like a luxury we don't need whereas if anything the extra key defensive cover is more of an issue.

1eyedog
17-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Why do people keep referring to the wide open spaces at Subi could someone please let me know? Subiaco is 15 metres longer and about 5 metres narrower than Etihad, so for each team it is 7.5 metres longer than Etihad at each end. I don't understand?

divvydan
17-08-2015, 07:10 PM

So many questions.....

Koby will be trying to get back for the finals. Stress fractures are really difficult to get back quickly from and have a high risk of recurrence so I'd imagine he'll be carefully managed and would probably have to prove himself in at least VFL final first.

Nic Nat almost certain to play. Funeral was last Friday hence why he missed again on the weekend.

So far this year, Redpath has shown to be more mobile but neither is particularly mobile.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-08-2015, 09:21 PM
This game, is season defining. A win says more than finals bound, it announces we are a legitimate participant in flag conversations. A loss, whilst not dampening our prospects for next year and beyond, it does say we probably still have important ground to make on the top teams and that we are only going to be on the margins for this years finals.
Such a fantastic opportunity to learn just how far we have come and to get a gauge on where we are in the competition.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-08-2015, 09:56 PM
This game, is season defining. A win says more than finals bound, it announces we are a legitimate participant in flag conversations. A loss, whilst not dampening our prospects for next year and beyond, it does say we probably still have important ground to make on the top teams and that we are only going to be on the margins for this years finals.
Such a fantastic opportunity to learn just how far we have come and to get a gauge on where we are in the competition.

Agree with this. Win, lose or draw it's a fantastic opportunity to build upon now and well into the future.

One thing helping us are the possible outs of Schofield, Cripps and now Masten on top of some of their key defenders already. After a pretty tough contest v Fremantle, probably no better time to play them.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2015, 10:49 PM
Masten must be suspended for biting. He and Schofield out, plus McGovern is huge.

azabob
17-08-2015, 10:52 PM
Injuries wont be the key to this game.

Not letting West Coast dominate the first fifteen minutes and kick 5 goals to nothing. This will be the key.

1eyedog
17-08-2015, 10:56 PM
Injuries wont be the key to this game.

Not letting West Coast dominate the first fifteen minutes and kick 5 goals to nothing. This will be the key.

Yeah we need to hang tough as per the first Port game and the Geelong game too and we need a few things to go right and a bit of luck.

lemmon
17-08-2015, 11:08 PM
Masten must be suspended for biting. He and Schofield out, plus McGovern is huge.

Going to be a very interesting one, to me the vision itself looked relatively inconclusive but the picture of the mark on the arm was pretty damning...good luck adjudicating that one

bulldogtragic
17-08-2015, 11:11 PM
Going to be a very interesting one, to me the vision itself looked relatively inconclusive but the picture of the mark on the arm was pretty damning...good luck adjudicating that one

His teeth match the indent in the players arm. Doesn't get any more damning for my thinking.

bornadog
17-08-2015, 11:40 PM

one of the lowest acts one can do on a football field. Right up there with spitting, deliberate kicking, King hit.

chef
18-08-2015, 11:46 AM
When was the last time we won over there against the Eagles?

bornadog
18-08-2015, 12:05 PM
When was the last time we won over there against the Eagles?

Round 13, 2010

chef
18-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Been a while, so we're due.

Happy Days
18-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Official petition to not wear the red jumper.

This game is TOO DAMN IMPORTANT for that cursed bullshit, don't do it Dogs.

Happy Days
18-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Official petition to not wear the red jumper.

This game is TOO DAMN IMPORTANT for that cursed bullshit, don't do it Dogs.

EDIT - Sorry Scraggers, didn't see your thread but obviously could not agree more.

Sedat
18-08-2015, 01:43 PM
His teeth match the indent in the players arm.
Feeling a Seinfeld reference coming on - the episode when Jon Voight bites Kramer on the arm and George tries to match Kramer's bite with the bite on the pencil left in the John Voight's (the periodontist, not the actor) car. God I love that show.

bornadog
18-08-2015, 02:34 PM
Feeling a Seinfeld reference coming on - the episode when Jon Voight bites Kramer on the arm and George tries to match Kramer's bite with the bite on the pencil left in the John Voight's (the periodontist, not the actor) car. God I love that show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgtGKurXBu4

merantau
18-08-2015, 03:25 PM
Re Masten: biting an opponent is dredging the bottom of the barrel of low acts. If there are no mitigating circumstances (it's hard to imagine that there could be) I'd give him 8 weeks. It's worse than a king hit because the king hit can usually be seen by someone and the aftermath is seen by all. No, this is a sneaky, underhand cowards ploy that challenges the willingness of the victim to dob the coward in. Masten should now become fair game for every sledge known to man - call him Biter, Fangs, Inscisor Man, Dracula, Molar Man, Cannibal, Toothy, Dentine, Choppers, Muncher - anything and everything to remind him of what a low act he has committed. Make football an unpleasant experience for him so that eventually he's driven from the game.

Happy Days
18-08-2015, 03:29 PM
Re Masten: biting an opponent is dredging the bottom of the barrel of low acts. If there are no mitigating circumstances (it's hard to imagine that there could be) I'd give him 8 weeks. It's worse than a king hit because the king hit can usually be seen by someone and the aftermath is seen by all. No, this is a sneaky, underhand cowards ploy that challenges the willingness of the victim to dob the coward in. Masten should now become fair game for every sledge known to man - call him Biter, Fangs, Inscisor Man, Dracula, Molar Man, Cannibal, Toothy, Dentine, Choppers, Muncher - anything and everything to remind him of what a low act he has committed. Make football an unpleasant experience for him so that eventually he's driven from the game.

Come on now, it's not worse than a king hit because king hits can kill and seriously harm people, where as biting is simply annoying and gross.

Biting is a dirty, dirty act but you're not seeing the forest for the trees here. What Silvagni did to Cripps, for example, was far worse.

jeemak
18-08-2015, 04:55 PM
I tend to agree Happy Days. A lot of people love the likes of Barry Hall, Luke Hodge and others who have punched, elbowed and forearmed unsuspecting opponents in the face.

All of a sudden this Masterbiter comes along and everyone's in a frenzy.

Stefcep
18-08-2015, 05:06 PM
I see this game as being a bit of a shoot-out. The key to us winning will be Stringer and Crameri. I thought they weren't as influential against Melbourne and will need to kick about 7-8 goals between them, not junk-time goals. If they get held to 2-3 goals we will lose.

always right
18-08-2015, 05:10 PM
Masten is not a dirty player....can only put it down to a brain fart. I reckon four weeks would suffice with Silvagni to get 6 down to 5 with a guilty plea.

merantau
18-08-2015, 06:33 PM
Come on now, it's not worse than a king hit because king hits can kill and seriously harm people, where as biting is simply annoying and gross.

Biting is a dirty, dirty act but you're not seeing the forest for the trees here. What Silvagni did to Cripps, for example, was far worse.

Now that my blood pressure has returned to normal, I have to agree with you re the consequences of a king hit/a sneaky chomp. My intense dislike of West Coast always clouds my judgement.

bornadog
18-08-2015, 06:37 PM
I am expecting a couple of surprise selections and surprise omissions this week. We ,may end up resting a few players?

LostDoggy
18-08-2015, 06:59 PM
I can understand us resting the genuinely sore, but otherwise this is a very winnable game that sets our whole season up to be something truly special.

1eyedog
18-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Ins Honeychurch, Boyd, JJ
Outs Darley, Redpath, Jong

boydogs
18-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Out: Darley, Redpath
In: JJ, T Boyd

Redpath has been doing fine, but I think in finals Tom Boyd's contested marking will be needed. Time to bring him back in

Doc26
18-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Masten guilty, now awaiting the penalty. Another handy out.

LostDoggy
18-08-2015, 10:15 PM
Certainly good news for us. He's one of their hardest running mids.

Also note Freo's Silvagni got 4, which puts him out of the first final. Hopefully good for us too :)

Rocco Jones
18-08-2015, 10:21 PM
I am not normally a fan of changing our team to exploit the opposition as I think it's classic too clever by half thinking but the Eagles are really down on KP defenders. No McKenzie, McGovern and now Schofield. Could we go with T Boyd and Redpath? Yes, we are sacrificing a runner but is the 21st/22nd runner picked really giving us that much? Say Jong or Daniel, are they really giving us so much leg work it will be a big sacrifice? For me, it's less about sacrificing leg work and more about potentially crowding the forward line. Maybe the type of bold move we need.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Master out for two weeks.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2015, 10:35 PM
I am not normally a fan of changing our team to exploit the opposition as I think it's classic too clever by half thinking but the Eagles are really down on KP defenders. No McKenzie, McGovern and now Schofield. Could we go with T Boyd and Redpath? Yes, we are sacrificing a runner but is the 21st/22nd runner picked really giving us that much? Say Jong or Daniel, are they really giving us so much leg work it will be a big sacrifice? For me, it's less about sacrificing leg work and more about potentially crowding the forward line. Maybe the type of bold move we need.

Not for mine. If both were reliable KPFs then maybe, but at this stage they're probably more likely to have limited influence than a deciding influence.

We can trouble their lack of key stocks with one of Redpath/Boyd, Crameri, Stringer and Dickson anyway. Although the latter three may suit Eagles' defenders in terms of height, they're all extremely good in one on one situations (in the air AND on the ground) and could make a mockery out of the Eagles' second rate options (Barass, Shepard etc).

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2015, 10:36 PM
Master out for two weeks.

Good for us.

I don't particularly rate him, but he has had a much improved year and is a good runner that they can't easily replace.

LostDoggy
18-08-2015, 10:39 PM

I agree with this. It may also force WCE into structural change, such as the Rucks pushing back harder behind the ball rather than pushing hard forward.

LostDoggy
19-08-2015, 07:49 AM
I can understand us resting the genuinely sore, but otherwise this is a very winnable game that sets our whole season up to be something truly special.
It is Sydney at the SCG Mark 2 in terms of potential ramifications.

Certainly good news for us. He's one of their hardest running mids.

Also note Freo's Silvagni got 4, which puts him out of the first final. Hopefully good for us too :)

And the bloke he hit is likely to miss as well. Everything's coming up Dahlhaus.

comrade
19-08-2015, 08:44 AM
After a few days pondering our position, I think we'll push hard for the win here and then rest some prime movers against North on our home track.

IN: JJ, Honeychurch

OUT: Darley, Daniel

I think Honey has built up some nice form in the past few weeks and his pressure in the forward half will be vital to locking the ball in and stopping their run off the back line. Daniel hasn't done much wrong but is a little like Dale in that the touches he gets are damaging, but it's not happening enough.

Campbell and Redpath are going to be two very knackered blokes by the end of the game.

Roberts and Roughy to have one more in the VFL before coming back in for the remainder of the season. I'd bring Boyd back in for the North game, too with Redpath the likely omission after a tough road trip.

I'd look to give Stringer and/or Dickson a rest prior to finals (maybe the trip to Brissie?).

Geez, I hope we win. The belief will really start kicking in then.

Go_Dogs
19-08-2015, 08:52 AM
I'd actually play Redpath and Boyd this week. If we end up having to travel to Perth for a final, now is the time to see whether we can play them both at the ground. If it isn't working, we can sub one of them off. What this does mean though, is we need to ensure whoever else we bring in is a very capable runner with no injury concerns.

So, for mine I'd like to see:

Out - Darley, Daniel

In - Boyd, JJ (if his fitness is fine, if not another week off as we need him fit) or Pearce/Webb

Mantis
19-08-2015, 09:11 AM
IN: JJ, Honeychurch

OUT: Darley, Daniel

I think Honey has built up some nice form in the past few weeks and his pressure in the forward half will be vital to locking the ball in and stopping their run off the back line. Daniel hasn't done much wrong but is a little like Dale in that the touches he gets are damaging, but it's not happening enough.

Whilst I love the pressure that Mitch can apply I'm a little concerned about his lack of polish and his inability to run games out.

Would you have him as the sub?

Scorlibo
19-08-2015, 10:36 PM
Anyone who can make Jake Stringer this happy should stay in the team: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-08-19/redpath-rucks-stringer-goals

bornadog
19-08-2015, 10:42 PM
Anyone who can make Jake Stringer this happy should stay in the team: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-08-19/redpath-rucks-stringer-goals

Nice little sheppard from Daniel

comrade
19-08-2015, 10:50 PM
Whilst I love the pressure that Mitch can apply I'm a little concerned about his lack of polish and his inability to run games out.

Would you have him as the sub?

I'd probably start him. If he fades, can always sub him out.

No idea who gets the vest. Grant, maybe? Harsh after such a good performance.

1eyedog
19-08-2015, 10:52 PM
Jong for the vest if he stays in I reckon. Must play Grant through the game.

always right
19-08-2015, 10:54 PM
Love his attitude and work rate....and he's footy smart......but he lacks tricks to offset his lack of pace. Reckon Subiaco would find him out.

always right
19-08-2015, 10:56 PM
Jong for the vest if he stays in I reckon. Must play Grant through the game.

I think we'll need Jong's run against the Eagles. Reckon Daniel would be an effective sub coming into game when some of the sting is gone and clean ball handling is important.

1eyedog
19-08-2015, 11:02 PM
Is Jong fit enough? I've watched him these past two weeks and he looks buggered in the second half and its one of the reasons why I think he floats in and out of the game. I guess we can sub him for Daniel if we need to.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-08-2015, 11:04 PM

The success of our attack has been its flexibility of players like Stringer Crameri and Dickson. I still think the best option is to play either Tom Boyd or Redpath. Let's not also forget our vice captain, Roughead who must be nearly ready for a recall which would possibly see him playing as a ruckman/ forward. I understand your thinking but neither Redpath or Tom Boyd are particularly strong overhead to allow us to take advantage of a weakened WCE defence.

Rocket Science
20-08-2015, 12:18 AM
Given the snappy nick he's in, think we'd be well served by four quarters of Grant's run and carry over there.

Assuming Darley makes way for Johannisen, reckon that'll consign Daniel to the vest for another week, lest he makes way altogether for the return of one T.Boyd who if given the nod, may return with a little something to prove. This I like.

If we're going to utilise him in September, might be time to reacquaint him...perhaps even as the sub.

Mantis
20-08-2015, 12:34 PM
In: JJ, Roarke Smith

Out: Picken, Boyd

:D

lemmon
20-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Posted by the Bulldog's Instagram: Roarke Smith all smiles heading out to train, he's just been told he'll debut on Sunday against the Eagles

always right
20-08-2015, 12:58 PM
Such a huge game for the club and still Bevo springs surprises from left field. I love it.

KT31
20-08-2015, 12:58 PM

That is a lot of experience coming out of the team.

Doc26
20-08-2015, 01:04 PM

Sounds spot on from what's just gone up on the HS and AFL sites.

Very disciplined player management.

bornadog
20-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Sounds spot on from what's just gone up on the HS and AFL sites.

Very disciplined player management.

Jason Macca on SEN now talking list management

The Bulldogs Bite
20-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Picken and Boyd are two huge losses. Probably smart by Bevo to keep the eye on the long game though, although it's fun to think about staying top four realistically our goal was/is to make the 8 - something nobody thought we could do - and having two experiences players fresh v North will be handy. Suspect we'll make a few more changes for that game too.

Not that happy about Darley staying in, but our hand is a little forced in terms of structure.

Greystache
20-08-2015, 02:20 PM
I've come to the conclusion that it's impossible to predict our weekly changes, they won't make sense, and they'll probably all work on game day. :D

bornadog
20-08-2015, 02:29 PM

Listening to the press conference Here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-08-20/beveridge-previews-eagles), looks like they are the only changes.

Roughead playing tomorrow night, Roberts a few weeks off yet, Tom Boyd to come in probably next week or the week after.

G-Mo77
20-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Not that happy about Darley staying in, but our hand is a little forced in terms of structure.

I don't think it's a bad thing. We've shown that we'll back our player most of the season for at least a few weeks. Darley was good in his first game, horrible last week he's got another chance to show what he's got. If Boyd and Picken were healthy then yeah, Darley would probably play Friday.

Axe Man
20-08-2015, 02:44 PM
I've come to the conclusion that it's impossible to predict our weekly changes, they won't make sense, and they'll probably all work on game day. :D

More chance of picking the lotto numbers! Libba will probably be named before the season is out.

ratsmac
20-08-2015, 02:57 PM

Yep I agree. It's bloody near impossible to know what Bevo is going to do next. He seems to have the Midas touch though, which is great. So from now and until Bevo retires (20 years from now and 15 flags) we should stop these match committee threads, it pointless ;)

Ghost Dog
20-08-2015, 06:08 PM
I'm a little surprised Boyd is not in the side after his 5 in the VFL.

Priddis will be a handful, and without Picken, would like to know what our strategy will be, or who will pick him up. A great marking side the Eagles but fairly confident we can beat them in the contested possession. If we bring the same ferocity as last week to subi, should be all dogger-ly.

West Coast Eagles Key Stats

- #2 hitouts (977)

- #2 goals (287)

- #2 goal assists (195)

- #3 handballs (3176)

- #3 marks inside 50 (245)

- #3 inside 50s (1047)

- #4 contested possessions (2664)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Picko missing is a massive loss for us. His 4 qtr kamikaze effort at contest after contest is going to be very hard to replace. Every other player at and around the contest is going to have to lift by a few percent to compensate.

bornadog
20-08-2015, 06:26 PM
West Coast Eagles Key Stats

- #2 hitouts (977)

- #2 goals (287)

- #2 goal assists (195)

- #3 handballs (3176)

- #3 marks inside 50 (245)

- #3 inside 50s (1047)

- #4 contested possessions (2664)

Bulldogs Key Stats

- Tackles 4th, - WC = 15
- Cont Poss 3rd - WC 4th
- Clearances 4 different WC way
- Stoppages 7th - to 10th
- Rebound 50 - 11 to 17
-

LostDoggy
20-08-2015, 06:26 PM
I don't think Picken would've stood Priddis, who is a pure inside clearance machine. There'll be plenty of rotations, but I reckon he'll primarily be up against Wallis. It'll be a super battle, 2 of the best hard inside mids in the game.

I think Picken would've spent a fair bit of time on Gaff, who is their main hard running creative link man. It'll be interesting to see who stands him, I'm thinking a mixture of Dahl, Bont, (next to Picken, they're our best tacklers).

Ghost Dog
20-08-2015, 06:35 PM
Thanks for those stats B.A.D. Was hunting around for them.

The home ground advantage is pretty fierce at Subi. I think we will win the midfield battle and hopefully stem the flow to Kennedy.

On selection, I am really enjoying having 38 different players have a dip in the seniors. It's such a contrasting approach to Rocket. It's not that Bevo throws players in willy nilly, but he seems more willing to take a risk. Sometimes ( under Rocket ) you would just about give up on a player ever making an appearance. On the other hand he would give players a long line of credit and that was frustrating as well at times. Mitch Hahn had a longer line of credit than Paris Hilton.
Part of this might be improved communication lines having a Footscray side?

Yep, Priddis Wallis will be a great battle. JJ V Josh Hill ?

Ozza
20-08-2015, 06:40 PM
Boyd and Picken are huge outs.

Boyd sets us up down back and reads the play so well that you would think we could lose some 'steadiness'.

Picken is as fit as a trout, and is so involved on offense and defence getting to so many contests.

Its also 2 guys who have experienced that ground before. Makes it harder to win for sure.

Go_Dogs
20-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Spot on Ozza, big outs.

We have managed that well throughout the year, but we're now missing a number of senior players when you include Stevens and Libba. I like the fact we will have a lot of fun and youthful exuberance so hopefully it translates into an open, running game.

bornadog
20-08-2015, 06:53 PM
I don't think Picken would've stood Priddis, who is a pure inside clearance machine. There'll be plenty of rotations, but I reckon he'll primarily be up against Wallis. It'll be a super battle, 2 of the best hard inside mids in the game.

I think Picken would've spent a fair bit of time on Gaff, who is their main hard running creative link man. It'll be interesting to see who stands him, I'm thinking a mixture of Dahl, Bont, (next to Picken, they're our best tacklers).

Remember Wallis aged 22 and 70 odd games compared to Priddis 30 years old and 192 games.

Player Head to Head Comparison (Average Per Game)

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/img/prostats/team/115.jpg (http://www.wegart.com.au/)

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/img/prostats/team/116.jpg (http://www.wegart.com.au/)

Mitchell Wallis (http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/player_profile?pid=2011022)
Name
Matt Priddis (http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/player_profile?pid=2006186)

Western Bulldogs (http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/team_home?tid=115)
Team
West Coast (http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/team_home?tid=116)

Career Games

Origin

December 10, 1993
Date of Birth
March 21, 1985

185 cm
Height
185 cm

84 kg
Weight
90 kg

Stats for Season

-13.2%
Disposals
13.2%

2.0%
Kicks
-2.0%

-19.7%
Tackles
19.7%

50.0%
Goals
-50.0%

50.0%
Cont Marks
-50.0%

-11.1%
Clearances
11.1%

1.4%
Inside 50s
-1.4%

-33.3%
Rebound 50s
33.3%

-9.9%
Cont Poss
9.9%

-20.3%
Unc Poss
20.3%

-71.4%
One Pct
71.4%

divvydan
20-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Changes:

In: Goodes, Pearce, Johannisen, T.Boyd, Smith, Dale
Out: Boyd, Picken, Darley

Extended bench currently: Jarrad Grant, Tom Boyd, Daniel Pearce, Bailey Dale, Caleb Daniel, Roarke Smith, Brett Goodes

Hotdog60
20-08-2015, 07:38 PM
3 elevated rookies on the bench is that a first ;)

Ghost Dog
20-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Goodsey! Brilliant, adding a bit of barrel-chested hardness for us.
JJ is the big in.

1eyedog
20-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Has anyone seen WCE backline? They don't seem to have a key down there at all (Wellingham at CHB). Let's take Tom I reckon.

bulldogtragic
20-08-2015, 07:53 PM
Pearce, Dale & Goodes would be my emergencies.

Ghost Dog
20-08-2015, 08:08 PM
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/teams

Without being too subjective, we are a really good chance. On paper we are better in several key positions. Bonti, Luke, and I can't see Josh Hill winning against JJ depending on how it's coming in.

1eyedog
20-08-2015, 08:12 PM
They must have some other structure up their sleeve. Surely they must have a KPD down there?

Tom Barrass I guess. 194cm 2 game player.

lemmon
20-08-2015, 08:16 PM
If we're going to play Boyd and Redpath together, this is the week to do it. I wonder if Tom Lamb has spent any time playing back in the WAFL? He's the only other potential big guy apart from Barrass.

Really excited about this week, on paper there's no reason our forwards shouldn't bully them

Bulldog4life
20-08-2015, 08:20 PM
If we're going to play Boyd and Redpath together, this is the week to do it. I wonder if Tom Lamb has spent any time playing back in the WAFL? He's the only other potential big guy apart from Barrass.

Really excited about this week, on paper there's no reason our forwards shouldn't bully them

Go the Bullies

Ghost Dog
20-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Nic Nat is always a headache. I noticed the way he likes to line up at a 90 degree angle instead of going head to head, so as to avoid a clash of bodies. Can only think of Sandilands being dominant for so long, yet their midfielders were not able to take advantage of it. Maybe there is a way to set up and counter it.

LostDoggy
20-08-2015, 08:25 PM
Sure Mitch is giving experience to Priddis but he has been doing that a bit this year and seems to be holding his own :)

For me, Picken's role is less about stopping the in and under clearance pig, it's more about neutralising the guy he is primarily trying to supply, as well as hurting that guy going the other way.

1eyedog
20-08-2015, 08:30 PM

Agreed and Lamb is small compared to Redpath and Boyd. Plus they'll need a 6'3 + quickish guy on STRINGER!!! I reckon Lamb will get STRINGER!!!

F'scary
20-08-2015, 08:31 PM
I'm predicting:

Toyd to FF, Redpath to CHF. Jong to interchange, Dahl to wing. Interchange: Grant, Jong, Daniel, Smith (sub).

merantau
20-08-2015, 08:31 PM
Boyd and Picken will be missed no doubt but others now get their opportunity and,as we have seen, the young blokes coming in have performed really well. I feel that the key to the game will be the pressure we are able to apply to the ball carrier between the arcs. If WC win enough time and space to deliver the ball to their big marking forwards, we will be in trouble. Conversely, I can see us re-bounding out of defence and causing their backline huge headaches.

LostDoggy
20-08-2015, 08:37 PM
So will the non-playing I/C play tomorrow night, or do they take the full squad to Perth?

Gee, there are so many variables in that 25.

bornadog
20-08-2015, 08:58 PM
I'm predicting:

Toyd to FF, Redpath to CHF. Jong to interchange, Dahl to wing. Interchange: Grant, Jong, Daniel, Smith (sub).

Bevo in his press conference said TBoyd wont be playing, but who knows.

I predict Pearce will come in for Darley, along with JJ and Smith for Picken and Boyd

Rocco Jones
20-08-2015, 09:24 PM
I can't predict anything other than the non VFL playing/traveling emergency. I am a gun at that. Here is my call.

Grant, Daniel, Smith, Pearce (sub) with, wait for it....Goodes as the traveling emergency. Lock that one in a bank ladies and gents, I own that category.

jazzadogs
20-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Bevo in his press conference said TBoyd wont be playing, but who knows.

I predict Pearce will come in for Darley, along with JJ and Smith for Picken and Boyd

If we're talking like for like replacement, I would (having not seen any recent VFL games) make the following changes:
- Roarke for Darley
- JJ for Boyd
- Goodes for Picken

I think Goodes mature body could be an important part of our midfield setup. He could also cover Boyd's half back set up role if needed. I thought he was really important in our early season form before breaking his wrist and I was surprised by how fit he had got himself over the pre-season. If that fitness is still there, I would think he offers more to our midfield than any of Pearce, Dale or TBoyd.

mjp
20-08-2015, 10:03 PM
They pretty much played without a key defender for all of last week. Schofield did a string and sat out from half way through the 2nd q.

We don't really play traditional tall forwards so not expecting them to change too much from what they have been doing. Barrass is a key back and you would imagine he would come in and take Redpath - he is only 19 though and would have only played a couple of games. Has the polar opposite background to Redpath so I can imagine Redpath would enjoy the chance to play on him. They will mix up the match-ups on Crameri, Stringer and Bontempelli with Hurn, Shepherd and Yeo - Yeo will most likely have to take Stringer. He played back for a large part of the year and actually played on Pavlich for a fair while last week. That will lead Ellis, Wellingham and Bennell (in Butler's absence) to go to Dickson, Dalhaus etc...

I think everyone is correct to be looking at West Coast's defence as a real 'weak spot' but honestly it looks pretty much the same 'on paper' as it has done for a large part of the year...just replace the name 'McGovern' with Barrass and that's what they have been doing.

Do I think they can match-up with us? Interestingly, their mid-sized running defenders who play tall (Yeo, Shepherd, Hurn) are probably better suited to match-up with/run with Crameri and Stringer than anyone else we have played this year.

mjp
20-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Oh. I saw a question about Tom Lamb playing back for East Perth? Not that I have seen - he has only just come back from long-term injury (maybe 3-4 weeks ago??) and when I last saw him he was stationed in the attacking goal-square. Nelson has been playing more as a running half-back than as a mid though and he is another in the 185cm+ running defender mode (similar to Hurn).

I also saw a comment about Lamb on Stringer? Can't see that. They will roll their defenders between opponents and give them all time playing deep (to rest/recover) whilst the others do the heavy lifting. I can see Ellis taking a turn, Nelson taking a turn, and obviously Shepherd and Hurn taking a turn...Yeo will be the primary defender on Stringer though.

LostDoggy
20-08-2015, 10:10 PM
Lycett is a good out for us as well.

Puts more workload on Naitanui.

mjp
20-08-2015, 11:02 PM
Lycett is a good out for us as well.

Puts more workload on Naitanui.

How do you figure that? Sinclair is still playing and has been the preferred number 2 ruckman for the past few months.

LostDoggy
20-08-2015, 11:20 PM
How do you figure that? Sinclair is still playing and has been the preferred number 2 ruckman for the past few months.

Lycett was just about Eagles best player against Hawthorn 2 weeks ago and it hurt them when he injured his knee last week.

With Naitanui quite probably underdone and no key backs to speak of, I think he could've been a handy option for them.

mjp
20-08-2015, 11:28 PM
Lycett was just about Eagles best player against Hawthorn 2 weeks ago and it hurt them when he injured his knee last week.

With Naitanui quite probably underdone and no key backs to speak of, I think he could've been a handy option for them.

You think they would have played Lycett ahead of Sinclair? I just don't see that as Sinclair has played forward and back with God effect all year whereas Lycett is a ruckman. If Lycett played then he and Natanui would be pretty much interchanging off the bench...

mjp
20-08-2015, 11:29 PM
Lol 'God' effect! Good effect of course.

LostDoggy
20-08-2015, 11:34 PM
I just figure they are light on for big man options and probably don't want to overtax Naitanui. With Lycett unavailable their options are that much fewer.

1eyedog
20-08-2015, 11:37 PM

You mean mentally? He's had a few weeks off to fly home for his Mum's funeral, he hasn't been injured? If he's ok mentally he'll be cherry ripe physically.

Happy Days
20-08-2015, 11:41 PM
Lol 'God' effect! Good effect of course.

Took it as "unbelievable effect"

GVGjr
20-08-2015, 11:42 PM
Given the teams selected it's going to be a very quick game. WCE small back line might actually work for them.
A lot of teams haven't been able to handle our chaotic entries into the forward line but their guys might handle it better than most.

1eyedog
21-08-2015, 12:21 AM
Given the teams selected it's going to be a very quick game. WCE small back line might actually work for them.
A lot of teams haven't been able to handle our chaotic entries into the forward line but their guys might handle it better than most.

I think a quick game suits us. When we've tried to lock down (first Port game / Geelong) it hasn't worked. I think their small backline may assist with chaos entries but they're (Hurn, Wellingham) traditionally rebounders and there is the very real danger of Dicko, Crameri and Stringer in particular getting of the leash unless they are close checking, they'll have to be careful. Also, our small forwards are better than their small backs.

Is a very interesting game on paper and current form. Match of the round no doubt.

LostDoggy
21-08-2015, 12:22 AM
You mean mentally? He's had a few weeks off to fly home for his Mum's funeral, he hasn't been injured? If he's ok mentally he'll be cherry ripe physically.

NN strikes me as a pretty sensitive kid. Hes been in a remote community in Fiji for some time dealing with some pretty heavy stuff.

I doubt he'll be hardened either mentally or physically. These guys follow a pretty precise, honed regime but his is most probably all over the place.

If I were the WCE match committee I wouldn't want to be overloading him physically or mentally.

Human beings are unpredictable. He may well come out and be BOG but, in terms of planning, I think WCE would prefer to lighten his load (especially 3 weeks from finals).

Go_Dogs
21-08-2015, 08:34 AM
Some great insights mjp, thanks.

I'm really looking forward to this one.

bornadog
21-08-2015, 08:52 AM
.Goodes as the traveling emergency. Lock that one in a bank ladies and gents, I own that category.

Let us pray he is not needed to play.

Templeton31
21-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Reading mjp's description of WC backline it would make sense to play Tom Boyd but presumably other sides have been playing bigs and Weagles covering it ok.

The Underdog
21-08-2015, 06:03 PM
In: Pearce, JJ, Roarke Smith
Out: Picken, Boyd, Darley

Axe Man
21-08-2015, 06:16 PM
Wow - players 38 and 39 for the year come on down.

Only Libba, Fuller, Z Cordy, Hamilton and Kelly yet to get a run.

bornadog
21-08-2015, 06:43 PM
In: Pearce, JJ, Roarke Smith
Out: Picken, Boyd, Darley
As predicted

Bulldog4life
21-08-2015, 07:04 PM
I can't predict anything other than the non VFL playing/traveling emergency. I am a gun at that. Here is my call.

Grant, Daniel, Smith, Pearce (sub) with, wait for it....Goodes as the traveling emergency. Lock that one in a bank ladies and gents, I own that category.

Correct Rocco

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-08-2015, 07:22 PM
Great effort by Pearce and Riarke Smith to fight their way into the starting 22 together with Johannison.
Tremendous confidence by Bevo in continuing to ring the changes.

Bulldog4life
21-08-2015, 07:27 PM
My cousin who is at function in WA at the moment with the doggies thinks he caught sight of Dale too
Not 100%

SlimPickens
21-08-2015, 08:34 PM
Have been impressed by Pearce at VFL level. Deserves his go, hopefully he continues cracking in.

azabob
21-08-2015, 10:25 PM
Have been impressed by Pearce at VFL level. Deserves his go, hopefully he continues cracking in.

Will he line up back or forward?

bornadog
21-08-2015, 10:30 PM

Sub?

azabob
21-08-2015, 10:32 PM
Sub?

Bit harsh on his first game in a while, but he is athletic enough and i hear he has improved his attack on the ball - so he could be a good option.

LostDoggy
22-08-2015, 03:56 AM
Can't believe Weagles have left Barrass out of the 22.

I was told that Caleb Daniel was in the crowd at Bendigo (and therefore not playing Sunday).

Anyone else hear/see that?

1eyedog
22-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Can't believe Weagles have left Barrass out of the 22.

I was told that Caleb Daniel was in the crowd at Bendigo (and therefore not playing Sunday).

Anyone else hear/see that?

Worried about our run and don't rate Redpath perhaps.

SlimPickens
22-08-2015, 01:33 PM

Mid/forward. Agree with bad, think he'll be the sub.

LostDoggy
22-08-2015, 03:05 PM
A sobering stat for tomorrow is that, besides Hawthorn, every other interstate team to play Eagles in Perth this year has been beaten by 50 points+.

A lot of what Simpson has instituted at WCE has similarities with Bevo and us.

Tomorrow is going to be a great test of where we are at.

Scorlibo
22-08-2015, 03:16 PM
A sobering stat for tomorrow is that, besides Hawthorn, every other interstate team to play Eagles in Perth this year has been beaten by 50 points+.

A lot of what Simpson has instituted at WCE has similarities with Bevo and us.

Tomorrow is going to be a great test of where we are at.

Everybody keeps saying that but surely it's a test that we can't really fail. We have two of our best contested ball players out of the side and look extremely light-on in that area, add to that how well West Coast play in Perth as you have said. If we get beaten by 50+ points I'm not personally going to be wringing my hands. On the other hand if we get close or win then it's another feather in the cap and reaffirmation that we are a very good side this year.

LostDoggy
22-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Everybody keeps saying that but surely it's a test that we can't really fail. We have two of our best contested ball players out of the side and look extremely light-on in that area, add to that how well West Coast play in Perth as you have said. If we get beaten by 50+ points I'm not personally going to be wringing my hands. On the other hand if we get close or win then it's another feather in the cap and reaffirmation that we are a very good side this year.

That's true Scorlibo. As I see it, even if we get beat solidly, we still have every reason to be pleased with where we are at as a developing club, but if we do win or even get very close then we can get genuinely excited about what can happen in the finals this year.

G-Mo77
22-08-2015, 04:21 PM
My cousin who is at function in WA at the moment with the doggies thinks he caught sight of Dale too
Not 100%

He wasn't in Bendigo so I'm guessing he should be there in WA somewhere.

Ghost Dog
22-08-2015, 06:14 PM

The 50+ points stat is a sobering point. But THEY have quite a few outs as well. I won't be disappointed if we get beaten over there but I will if they kick past our tally by over 50 or more points.

1eyedog
22-08-2015, 06:41 PM
The 50+ points stat is a sobering point. But THEY have quite a few outs as well. I won't be disappointed if we get beaten over there but I will if they kick past our tally by over 50 or more points.

Yeah a 10 goal loss is disappointing in anyones language.

Twodogs
22-08-2015, 07:33 PM
I did a quick estimation before and I think it was a 44 point differential in our scores so we really can't afford to lose by more than 40 points or so or our percentage will drop below Richmond.

1eyedog
22-08-2015, 09:55 PM
I did a quick estimation before and I think it was a 44 point differential in our scores so we really can't afford to lose by more than 40 points or so or our percentage will drop below Richmond.

That's what I got. I'd love to play and smash Geelong at home in an EF.

LostDoggy
23-08-2015, 04:31 PM
Pearce named sub.