PDA

View Full Version : Our 'A' Graders.

Dancin' Douggy
18-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Apparently Johnathon Brown has declared that Richmond have 6 'A' graders, and that is enough put you in contention for a flag. (My brother, a Richmond supporter furnished me with this piece of information)

Deledio, Rance, Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Maric. (According to Brown)

So. I started thinking about our A graders and decided to go through the list by jumper number.
We're a young emerging team, so there are players on our list who may not have stamped themselves as bona fide A graders yet, but show every sign of doing so. I will discuss each player case by case. And I'm going to call A grader on players who are already A graders, and also players I'm predicting to DEFINITELY become A graders over the next few years.

My other rating will be NPOTC (not part of this conversation)

Here goes.

1. J. Grant. Has all the attributes to be an A grader, and being selected at 5 in the draft means you're probably BORN with the correct athletic traits to become an A grader, IF your attitude, dedication, willpower, skills and body all come together, you SHOULD become an A grader. So with Grant, all the latter qualities have been questionable over his career.
However, this year he seems to have finally emerged from his cocoon. ( he is insect like) and I believe is tracking towards A grade status. His last 3 set shots have gone straight through the middle. Maybe just maybe, he's over the yips. His hands and vision in traffic are sublime. He is very strong overhead, he’s 193 cm, has a huge natural leap, has pace to burn, and now seems to have a bottomless tank. His running from goal square to goal square is incredible, and the amount of times he is running completely unattended into our goalmouth as goals sail over his head is quite staggering. This is unrewarded running, but he never stops doing it, and ONE day, it might mean the difference between a win and a loss.
I would get laughed out of any pub in Melbourne if I put up Grants name as an A grader, but he's building towards it and is a potential A grader in my book. We would be insane if we traded him now. POTENTIAL A GRADER.

2. R. Murphy. A GRADER

3. Wallis. is he an A grader? If not, he's a whisker away from it. Gerard Healy referred to him as a genuine A grader the other day. And I'm with Gerard. He just peels off 30+ possession games now with monontonous regularity. Plays like a leader. Kicks clutch goals. Throws himself in at the bottom of every pack and runs tirelessly in to dangerous positions in the forward line. I'm calling him an A grader, and I think by the end of the year the rest of the footy world will too.
A GRADER

4. M. Bontempelli. AAAAAAAAAAAAA GRADER.

5. M. Boyd. 2 x All Australian, 3 x best & fairest. In the best form he's ever been in? The only knock on Boyd for his entire career was his kicking. No longer a glaring problem. A GRADER.

6.L. Dalhaus. I'm pretty sure we can call Dalhaus an A grader these days. A GRADER

7. L. Hunter You might think I'm looking at the list through rose coloured glasses but............
Lachie's last 3 weeks have got potential A grader written all over them. Not yet.......but potential A grader? Maybe.
I see Lachie as a neater, fitter, more compact version of Stevie J. Maybe not so freakishly gifted but then again...I've seen Lachie do some freaky shit and he's probably better overhead for his size than Stevie. With Lachie it always seemed to be about attitude, but it’s like someones flicked a switch and now he ‘gets it’. His last 3 weeks have really been massive……and so SUDDEN!
POTENTIAL A GRADER.

8. S. Crameri. Hmmmm an interesting one. What's stopping Crammers from being called an A grader. Consistency? Some sloppy kicking? He's capable of having A grade days, a 7 goal haul 2 weeks ago counts as A grade........with some improvement in consistency and kicking, he might be hovering towards A grade status, but not quite there atm. Close though. Very close.
POTENTIAL A GRADER.

9. J. Stringer. A grader already, he and the Bont are the two most exciting players I’ve ever, yes, EVER, seen in the red white and blue.. and they are both only going to get better.
A GRADER.

10. E. Wood. The 2015 version of Easton Wood is definitely A grader. No need to elaborate, we've all seen it with our own eyes. A GRADER.

11. J. Macrae. If he's not already considered an A grader, it's only a matter of time. I'm calling A GRADER.

(wow, what an embarrassment of riches and I'm only up to number 11!!!)

12. Z. Cordy...will keep the cue in the rack on Z. NPOTC

13. Hrovat. Came in with a big reputation but seems to have stalled. NPOTC

14. C. Smith. NPOTC

15. T. Campbell, I've been of the belief for some time that Tom would emerge as our number 1 ruck. But A grade?
I'm not writing him off and I think he's got a lot of growth football wise in him, but NPOTC.......yet

16. T. McLean. Maybe one day but NPOTC.

17. T. Boyd. MOST DEFINITELY part of this conversation. Should, by all that is holy and right become an absolute A grader. So let's assume all the screening, testing, profiling, hype etc is right and let's presume he'll be an A grader shall we? Ok. Then!
A GRADER

18. F. Roberts NPOTC.

19. L.Webb NPOTC.

20. D. Pearce NPOTC.

21. Libbaaaa!!!! A GRADER

22.M. Honeychurch. NPOTC.

23. J. Roughhead. Could he become one? I don't think I can include him in A grade contention at this stage.

24. S. Biggs. Not in consideration but I do like the way he's playing.

25. K. Stevens. If Stevens could realign his sights to about four to six inches higher, so that his kicks and handballs landed on peoples chests, instead of their ankles, he might be part of this conversation. But at the moment he's just too rough around the edges. I love what he brings, but gee he would be a much more damaging player with a tweak on his sights. NPOTC. Come on and prove me wrong Koby.

26. D. Hamilton. NPOTC.

27.W. Minson. Will's contested marking.........even his UNcontested marking was never good enough for him to ever be considered an A grader. so Sorry Will, but no.

28. Prudden. NPOTC.

29. T. Dickson. Well............Tory is getting better and better. He's a menacing presence all over the ground now, He tackles , he smothers, he links up chains. And, as we all know, he’s a very, very dangerous proposition anywhere near the goals. Plays some A grade games, but it's hard to judge someone like Tory because it's not his job to get 30 possessions a week. It's his job to apply defensive pressure inside our 50, and kick goddamn goals, which he does to a very high standard. A grade standard? I probably can't put him in the A grade category, but like a lot of our list he is getting better and better. At this stage no...but getting there.

30. Hamling. NPOTC.

31. B. Dale. NPOTC..................yet

32. M. Talia. NPOTC. Too rough around the edges, still a work in progress, not sure his kicking will ever be A grade standard. He's doing well with what he's got at the moment though, I’m not having a crack at him.

33.S. Darley. NPOTC.

35. C. Daniel. NPOTC.........................yet, but we may have a future A grader on our hands here... His handball to Crameri for a goal last week was sublime. Well thought out and well executed. Showed a great understanding of the game and how to manipulate time and space.

36. M. Fuller. NPOTC.

37. R. Smith. NPOTC.

38. D. Morris. A GRADER.

39. J. Johanissen. What a great year he's having, If he keeps this up, and continues to grow in confidence, we may have another gem of a player pushing towards A grade status, not there yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if this time next year he was considered to be verging on A grade status, hard to find a flaw in his game atm. Not yet my pets.
POTENTIAL A GRADER

42. L. Picken. Hmmmmm. Liam Picken. I believe he's part of this conversation. He’s really starting to push A grade status. Averaging 100 supercoach points over the year puts you near A grade territory. Maybe another year like this and he’d start to possibly………….but not atm I don’t think.

43. J. Redpath. Last weeks game illustrated Jack's one major flaw to me. He drops too many contested marks that a real A grade forward would hold. I love his energy and he's a pack buster, a beautiful long kick and I believe he can improve from where he is now..... another preseason maybe........if he held more of those marks he might be part of this conversation, but not yet my pets, not yet.

44. B. Goodes. NPOTC.

46. L. Jong. Burst out of the blocks this year and really looked like he could be anything. Right now though, he’s starting from scratch again almost. Love Jongy, but at the moment? NPOTC.

49. If we can convince Brisbane/ Gold Coast he’s an A GRADER, that would be good….very good. NPOTC

____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________

So, according to my assessments / predictions we have 11 current / future A graders.

Murphy, Wallis, Bontempelli, M. Boyd, Dalhaus, Stringer, Wood, Macrae, T. Boyd, Morris, Liberatore.

And 4 guys hovering who could push for A grade status

Grant, Crameri, Hunter, Johanissen.

Am I being too generous? Discuss……………..

1eyedog
18-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Agree with everything you have said but you've left someone out, as did Browny.

Luke Beveridge, what an A grader! He is as important to us winning a flag as any other A grader at our club. Has made the hard calls re. dropping Minson and Crameri for extended periods and playing the Prudden's and Biggs'. The boys love him becuase he has breathed a breath of fresh air into the club they want to play for him because he has made them enjoy their football again. They respect him, they love him (look at Bob and him after the Sydney game) and I think they all call him a mate.

It's hard for a coach to develop the hard-edged approach that is needed to drop senior players but still be seen as a mate to all. He tells jokes before games and has them playing a style of football that I've never seen at the club. Bevo is a verified A-grader but is Hardwick?

Do Richmond have the versatility amongst their playing group to switch things up during a game if they're not going right? Not sure about him but Bevo certainly does.

bornadog
18-08-2015, 01:05 PM
Maric - give me a break.

craigsahibee
18-08-2015, 01:15 PM
We stack up against their A Graders but I'll back our bottom 6 against RFC's bottom 6 any day of the week. We are a better "team" than Richmond.

Dancin' Douggy
18-08-2015, 01:39 PM
Maric - give me a break.

I might have to check that, but I'm pretty sure browny named Maric. If not, there was definitely six. So who else could the 6th Richmond A grader be???

1eyedog
18-08-2015, 01:49 PM
It could only be Vlastuin, potentially Edwards. I can't stand listening to J Brown's ramblings. Great footballer shite commentator. Let's hope Brisvegas get him in as head coach sooner rather than later.

bornadog
18-08-2015, 02:28 PM
I might have to check that, but I'm pretty sure browny named Maric. If not, there was definitely six. So who else could the 6th Richmond A grader be???

Sorry DD wasn't having a go at you - it was dumb Brownie

Twodogs
18-08-2015, 02:30 PM
We stack up against their A Graders but I'll back our bottom 6 against RFC's bottom 6 any day of the week. We are a better "team" than Richmond.

Bang on. This team doesn't have a passenger.

Twodogs
18-08-2015, 02:34 PM
It could only be Vlastuin, potentially Edwards. I can't stand listening to J Brown's ramblings. Great footballer shite commentator. Let's hope Brisvegas get him in as head coach sooner rather than later.

I'd happily have Vlastuin in our colours.

I read that Jonathin Brown has political aspirations 1eye. Then you'll get the chance to hear him all the time.

bornadog
18-08-2015, 02:36 PM

I read that Jonathin Brown has political aspirations 1eye. Then you'll get the chance to hear him all the time.

He thinks he is John Wayne

Dancin' Douggy
18-08-2015, 02:48 PM
Sorry DD wasn't having a go at you - it was dumb Brownie

No offence taken at all bornadog.

1eyedog
18-08-2015, 02:53 PM

Yeah me too re. Vlastuin. Knowing what I know of Queensland there's every chance of Browny getting an Independent seat up there. In all seriousness though he can't be any worse than the current crop we have to pick from.

comrade
18-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Here's some interesting tidbits:

Bonti is now the 39th ranked player in the AFL based on the Official AFL Player Ratings. He's the highest rated teenager in the league (Bennell is next at 74th), and is 11 months younger than anyone else in the top 40.

Easton Wood is now rated in the top 50 players in the league (45th overall).

Mitch Wallis is the 4th rated player overall for the past 4 games. Bonti is 6th and Crammers is 8th over this period. 3 in top 10 for the past month of footy suggests we've been pretty dominant.

LostDoggy
18-08-2015, 10:14 PM
Sorry but think you left out a future A grader No 35 Caleb Daniel (not Bailey Dale who you had in twice)

Dancin' Douggy
19-08-2015, 10:46 AM

I totally agree. But do you think I'm handing out 'A' grade status too easily? If not, and one player shuffles up from potential A grader to A GRADER. we've got 12. Double Richmond, and I'm not sure that Maric is a genuine A grader either.

Dancin' Douggy
19-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Sorry but think you left out a future A grader No 35 Caleb Daniel (not Bailey Dale who you had in twice)

Oops. I'll fix it up.

1eyedog
19-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Maric isn't even in the top 3 ruckmen in the AFL this year he's 5th.

Dancin' Douggy
19-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Maric isn't even in the top 3 ruckmen in the AFL this year he's 5th.

Do you think my assessment of us having 11 A graders is reasonable? Or have I got my rose coloured glasses on?

Bulldog Joe
19-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Do you think my assessment of us having 11 A graders is reasonable? Or have I got my rose coloured glasses on?

You probably have rose coloured glasses but they are enjoyable to view the team through.

On this season form we have had A grade performance

Murphy
Wallis
Bonts
Boyd (M)
Dahlhaus
Wood
Dickson
Morris
Johannisen
Picken
Hunter
Stringer
Macrae

You can probably add Biggs and Crameri also.

Not sure that makes them all A grade talent, but we certainly have a very good mix and if they all play well we will be scary for every opponent.

craigsahibee
19-08-2015, 11:50 AM
I totally agree. But do you think I'm handing out 'A' grade status too easily? If not, and one player shuffles up from potential A grader to A GRADER. we've got 12. Double Richmond, and I'm not sure that Maric is a genuine A grader either.

I have no problem's with your selections. The point I was trying to make is that we don't rely on a select few to get the job done. Our efforts are spread across the entire 22 man squad, whereas Richmond, as was highlighted when Deledio missed against Adelaide 2 weeks ago, can't get the job done when their so-called stars are not dominating. And I use the word "stars" very loosely.

Ghost Dog
19-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Luke
Marcus
Easton
Jake
Stuart
Bob

All would be on decent salaries at other clubs

Tom
Jackson
JJ
Mitch

Give these blokes another year at the current work rate and they would be certified A graders on big salaries at any club. But It hurts me to imagine them anywhere else so wipe that thought.

Liam Picken - a few years ago my mate tried to tell me he wasn't much of a footy player. But I think he would get a game in a top four side.
Oh shaizenhausen, WE are a top four side! Pinch me I'm dreaming.

Mantis
19-08-2015, 12:20 PM
I have it as:

Bob
Boyd
Dahlhaus
Wood
Bont

Stringer & Wallis are closing in.. Fast.

bornadog
19-08-2015, 12:21 PM
I have it as:

Bob
Boyd
Dahlhaus
Wood
Bont

Libba??

Mantis
19-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Libba??

He is when he's playing.

westdog54
19-08-2015, 12:39 PM
I have it as:

Bob
Boyd
Dahlhaus
Wood
Bont

Wallis not there yet?

Wouldn't have much more to do. What do you think he's lacking?

Bulldog Joe
19-08-2015, 12:50 PM
Wallis not there yet?

On 2015 form I see Mitch Wallis as our BEST player.
Perhaps not the highlight reel, but gets it done week in week out.

Keeps his feet, wins clearances, kicks goals.

Mantis
19-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Wallis not there yet?

His form over the past month is definitely A grade quality, just needs to keep it up.

My biggest knock on him previously was his lack of hurt factor with ball in hand, but that has substantially improved this year.

always right
19-08-2015, 03:56 PM
Wallis is one of several players whose kicking has improved out of sight. Gone are his helicopter floaters and he is now a reliable kick for goal from anything up to 50m.

He joins others such as Wood, Talia, Boyd and JJ who have really improved their disposal, although each of them have come from a different starting level.

1eyedog
19-08-2015, 07:22 PM
Wallis is one of several players whose kicking has improved out of sight. Gone are his helicopter floaters and he is now a reliable kick for goal from anything up to 50m.

He joins others such as Wood, Talia, Boyd and JJ who have really improved their disposal, although each of them have come from a different starting level.

Agreed Wallis has turned himself into the consumate professional in everything he does on the footy field, they benefit of hard work, dedication and discipline. Loving his work this year.

westdog54
19-08-2015, 07:25 PM
His form over the past month is definitely A grade quality, just needs to keep it up.

My biggest knock on him previously was his lack of hurt factor with ball in hand, but that has substantially improved this year.

He's also now going forward and doing damage on the scoreboard. He's strong overhead.

Definitely agree with your other 5.