PDA

View Full Version : Lachie Henderson won’t play for the Blues again

BornInDroopSt'54
20-08-2015, 10:49 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/lachie-henderson-requests-trade-from-carlton-wont-play-again-this-season/story-fni5f5nx-1227491008700

CARLTON key position swingman Lachie Henderson will not play again this season after requesting a trade.

Henderson, 25, told his teammates this morning that he wants out of the Blues after 102 games.

He is out of contract at season’s end and is not a free agent, but wants a “fresh start” at another club and, in an unprecedented move, will not play out the year.

“We are obviously disappointed with Lachie’s decision to request a trade but we want people who yearn to play for our Carlton jumper — and who will accept the responsibility that comes with it,” Blues football manager Andrew McKay said.

“In consultation with our playing leadership group, it was decided it’s in the best interests of the club that Lachie sits out of the remaining three games this season.

“This will allow further opportunity to see how some of our younger players continue to perform at the AFL level.

“Our list management team now has a duty to our Carlton members to get the best possible deal in return for Lachie through the AFL trade period.”

Henderson’s departure means the Blues are likely to ramp up its pursuit of disgruntled Essendon swingman Jake Carlisle who is out of contract at the end of the season.

bulldogtragic
20-08-2015, 10:58 AM
Wow, that's unusual to do it so far out.

I'd go very hard. Better value proposition than Carlisle.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-08-2015, 11:01 AM
What's with everyone wanting to go to Geelong, Hawthorn or Collingwood!!

SlimPickens
20-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Apparently Geelong will have Selwood, Dangerfield and Henderson all coming their way. Yeah good luck with that one fellas.

SlimPickens
20-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Wow, that's unusual to do it so far out.

I'd go very hard. Better value proposition than Carlisle.

Tend to agree but where do you seeing him playing? In my mind if we were to go after him it would have to be as a defender.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Tend to agree but where do you seeing him playing? In my mind if we were to go after him it would have to be as a defender.

i think he'll cost too much (both in salary and draft pick) so i'd pass and use the draft

bulldogtragic
20-08-2015, 11:21 AM

Primary defender, but flexibility for Bevo to do what he wants during games.

1eyedog
20-08-2015, 11:23 AM
I'd go hard at him. Super versatile so can play a number of roles. Would be a very good player in a good team. He's in the perfect age bracket and his best football is in front of him. There is no better time for us to entice good players to our club than the present. He's worth it.

Mantis
20-08-2015, 11:26 AM
I'd go hard at him. Super versatile so can play a number of roles. Would be a very good player in a good team. He's in the perfect age bracket and Hus best football is in front of him. He's worth it.

So if we bring in Henderson we get rid of Talia?

KT31
20-08-2015, 11:35 AM
Henderson’s departure means the Blues are likely to ramp up its pursuit of disgruntled Essendon swingman Jake Carlisle who is out of contract at the end of the season.

Why on earth would you leave the debacle of Essendon and go to Carlton ?
If Carlisle does this he needs his head read.

Henderson would be worth a punt but I wouldn't sell the farm.

LostDoggy
20-08-2015, 11:38 AM
This trade period is the most exciting for many years for our club.

There are a number of clubs desperate for half decent best 22 stock and a lot of players are on offer (I have heard that both Essendon and Gold Coast have 15-20 uncontracted, tradeable players coming into trade period, Carlton plenty also).

We are in a position of real strength. We have no glaring weaknesses in our list and we have players well down our list who will have currency and may be happy to move for greater opportunity.

What really makes things exciting is the capacity for clubs this year to trade future draft picks, some of the desperate clubs also have flexibility to pay over 100% of salary cap. Some judicious trades could set us up incredibly well.

With the recent media deal and prospect of significantly increased salary caps, some "name" players will get traded for silly amounts. Some clubs will really stuff themselves in the need to sell hope. The talk of a thin draft exacerbates this position.

With our healthy list, we should be able to avoid the craziness and make some really beneficial deals.

That we are in this position after being a low ranked team in the compromised draft years is nothing short of miraculous. Somebody should write a book about our list build over the past few years. Spectacular.

Sedat
20-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Apparently Geelong will have Selwood, Dangerfield and Henderson all coming their way. Yeah good luck with that one fellas.
Good luck especially holding onto Steven Motlop

Dancin' Douggy
20-08-2015, 11:54 AM
My delusional fantasy is we somehow end up getting jack martin. Somehow.

SlimPickens
20-08-2015, 12:01 PM

Michael hasn't signed yet and seems to be holding off.

LostDoggy
20-08-2015, 12:04 PM
Talia wants to go to Adelaide and play with his brother.

Dancin' Douggy
20-08-2015, 12:06 PM

Do you know this for a fact double peanut? Or is it just a rumour you've heard? Could be interesting if it's true.

1eyedog
20-08-2015, 12:10 PM

Even though I've often defended Talia I'd prefer Hendo, far less risk and really none of our tall defenders are established. He's a lock in for the next 5-6 years. Talia has some currency on the open market as well.

LostDoggy
20-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Was told by somebody who knows the club pretty well. Has told me plenty over the years that has held up.

This was a few weeks ago when he was out of favour, though, don't know the strength of his conviction.

Ozza
20-08-2015, 12:27 PM
Not a big fan of Henderson. If Talia left, then maybe. But I certainly wouldn't support going after him aggressively.

bornadog
20-08-2015, 12:31 PM

Source? or gut feel

bornadog
20-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Carlisle better than Henderson

bulldogtragic
20-08-2015, 12:36 PM
Hendo Dogs
Talia Crows
Betts or Jacobs Carlton

Not really.

Hahahahaha. Carlton List Management: Let Betts go, wouldn't play Jacobs enough and the last part of Fevola compo and their best KPP running out of the club. Nothing to do with the thread, just highlighting this 'signifance' level clubs immediate history.

bulldogtragic
20-08-2015, 12:37 PM

Perhaps. But band for buck, Hendo would be better unless Carlisle would come for less cash to us.

Mantis
20-08-2015, 12:43 PM
Bevo was quizzed on Henderson today. Repsonse was he is happy with the way our young talls are developing and something would have to change for us to go down the trade path.

bornadog
20-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Bevo was quizzed on Henderson today. Repsonse was he is happy with the way our young talls are developing and something would have to change for us to go down the trade path.

Like Talia leaving perhaps.

1eyedog
20-08-2015, 01:22 PM
Was told by somebody who knows the club pretty well. Has told me plenty over the years that has held up.

This was a few weeks ago when he was out of favour, though, don't know the strength of his conviction.

Strange. If someone who knows the club pretty well knows this then you can be assured those who know the club really well know as well. I would have thought that someone who doesn't want to play at the club and won't be there next year would be in the VFL or we would do a Carlton and drop him for the remainder of the year.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-08-2015, 01:29 PM

Starting to come around to this idea myself, especially given how he structure up as a defense. We typically don't concede many one on one contests, meaning guys like Wood, Hamling, Morris and co. like to be the third man up.

The thing that does concern me is the durability of Roughy and Roberts.

KT31
20-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Strange. If someone who knows the club pretty well knows this then you can be assured those who know the club really well know as well. I would have thought that someone who doesn't want to play at the club and won't be there next year would be in the VFL or we would do a Carlton and drop him for the remainder of the year.

Might have been a case of suggesting he had a bit to offer and needed the game time to prove it.

Sedat
20-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Starting to come around to this idea myself, especially given how he structure up as a defense. We typically don't concede many one on one contests, meaning guys like Wood, Hamling, Morris and co. like to be the third man up.

The thing that does concern me is the durability of Roughy and Roberts.
If we want to take the next step, I think we need a one-on-one gorilla down back to compliment what we already have. Even Hawthorn conceded in 2012 that they were missing one, which is why they chased a 31yo Lake and then won the next 2 flags.

boydogs
20-08-2015, 01:56 PM
If we want to take the next step, I think we need a one-on-one gorilla down back to compliment what we already have. Even Hawthorn conceded in 2012 that they were missing one, which is why they chased a 31yo Lake and then won the next 2 flags.

Be patient with Talia. What's the highest number of goals he has conceded this year? What about Austin & Young last year?

Greystache
20-08-2015, 02:11 PM
Be patient with Talia. What's the highest number of goals he has conceded this year? What about Austin & Young last year?

Roughead kicked 7 on him.

Ozza
20-08-2015, 03:21 PM

Is there a 'love for Bevo' button.

SlimPickens
20-08-2015, 03:46 PM

It may be part of the story but I think you'll find he just wants to play senior footy. He should be backing himself in at the dogs as their is definitely a spot for him, he just needs to keep performing.

Mantis
20-08-2015, 03:54 PM
It may be part of the story but I think you'll find he just wants to play senior footy. He should be backing himself in at the dogs as their is definitely a spot for him, he just needs to keep performing.

Improving.

Whilst his ball use is satisfactory, the major knock on him at present would be his ability to 'win or kill' a 1 on 1 contest and his slow ball movement.

If he can fix them up up I see him being a solid contributer for many years to come.

LostDoggy
20-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Maybe Daniel will end up at the Bulldogs instead.

How it should be anyway, they are both from champion Bulldog stock.

Greystache
20-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Improving.

Whilst his ball use is satisfactory, the major knock on him at present would be his ability to 'win or kill' a 1 on 1 contest and his slow ball movement.

If he can fix them up up I see him being a solid contributer for many years to come.

That's the BIG question mark on him for me. He just gets beaten far too regularly in a marking contest. I'm not even worried so much about his ball use or how much rebound he can provide, we have a huge amount of run and carry from half back, and even Roberts and Hamling provide some as talls. We can afford Talia to be a pure shutdown defender, but at the moment it's not a strength.

On Henderson, I'm not overly keen. The gap between his best and his worst is extreme. It's at the level you'd expect from a player with 20-40 games under their belt, not 100+

The Underdog
20-08-2015, 04:57 PM
Improving.

Agree totally. he very often gets himself in the right position but then manages to have no effect on the contest.

He's been up and down but I've largely liked his last few weeks

Twodogs
20-08-2015, 05:00 PM

That's why they let Joel Hamling go. To free up some salary cap space .

bornadog
20-08-2015, 05:04 PM
That's why they let Joel Hamling go. To free up some salary cap space .

They freed him up because they traded for two talls - Rhys Stanley and Mitch Clark

Twodogs
20-08-2015, 05:10 PM
They freed him up because they traded for two talls - Rhys Stanley and Mitch Clark

Turned out nice then.

Ozza
20-08-2015, 05:17 PM
That's the BIG question mark on him for me. He just gets beaten far too regularly in a marking contest. I'm not even worried so much about his ball use or how much rebound he can provide, we have a huge amount of run and carry from half back, and even Roberts and Hamling provide some as talls. We can afford Talia to be a pure shutdown defender, but at the moment it's not a strength.

On Henderson, I'm not overly keen. The gap between his best and his worst is extreme. It's at the level you'd expect from a player with 20-40 games under their belt, not 100+

Couldn't agree more on Henderson.

Also agree with the sentiment on Talia. Given we have seen so much improvement from a number of our players in recent years - I would expect that Talia is a great chance to improve a hell of a lot in his one on one play. With regards to his ball use, whilst he may never be a star in this area, we've seen from players like Morris - that if he can recognise his limitations and get the basics right and decision making - he will be able to work those 1-2 blunders per game out of his system.

No doubts Talia has a future alongside Roberts and Hamling.

Ghost Dog
20-08-2015, 05:22 PM
Agree totally. he very often gets himself in the right position but then manages to have no effect on the contest.

He's been up and down but I've largely liked his last few weeks

Not happy with him giving away frees and 50m penalties either. Great athlete but sometimes not the best decision maker.

SlimPickens
20-08-2015, 05:23 PM
Improving.

Absolutely and he has time on his side.

Happy Days
20-08-2015, 05:43 PM
Improving.

I really think it's a core strength problem - there has been a few instances of Michael either conceding or losing front position, and showing no ability to win it back. There was one instance against the GC where Dixon simply stood in front of him whilst Michael flailed around helplessly behind him that perfectly illustrates this fault.

The good news is that this is both something that can be improved, and something that, as we buy more and more into the Team Defence Revolution™, will probably become less relevant in the AFL. It also probably highlights that Talia isn't the guy to take the so-called gorillas one out when required.

1eyedog
20-08-2015, 05:59 PM

They freed him up because they drafted Rivers two years earlier and had Mackie playing in the same team (alongside the others you mentioned). Aside from that they have a heap of young talls in the VFL who are promising footballers but not good enough to displace Lonergan, Mackie or Taylor (yet). These kids have been in the system a year longer than Hamling and are bigger bodied.

It seems Geelong earmarked him for a KD post, why else have him going one on one with Hawkins all these years when really they needed to think of him as third defender and bite the bullet on Mackie's position.

Twodogs
20-08-2015, 07:23 PM
They freed him up because they drafted Rivers two years earlier and had Mackie playing in the same team (alongside the others you mentioned). Aside from that they have a heap of young talls in the VFL who are promising footballers but not good enough to displace Lonergan, Mackie or Taylor (yet). These kids have been in the system a year longer than Hamling and are bigger bodied.

It seems Geelong earmarked him for a KD post, why else have him going one on one with Hawkins all these years when really they needed to think of him as third defender and bite the bullet on Mackie's position.

They very nearly outsourced that decision.

GVGjr
20-08-2015, 07:43 PM

Carlisle isn't the player for us.

boydogs
20-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Roughead kicked 7 on him.

Forgot about that one. Roughead's a very good player and probably not Talia's ideal matchup. There have been a lot of players he has kept to one goal this year, the only other player who has really got a hold of him was Charlie Dixon and it was only for 2 goals in the 1st quarter when Talia was coming back from the VFL

His performances haven't been too bad, and he is still only 22 with less than 30 games played

Greystache
20-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Forgot about that one. Roughead's a very good player and probably not Talia's ideal matchup. There have been a lot of players he has kept to one goal this year, the only other player who has really got a hold of him was Charlie Dixon and it was only for 2 goals in the 1st quarter when Talia was coming back from the VFL

His performances haven't been too bad, and he is still only 22 with less than 30 games played

Pavlich got 5 on him and Moore/Grundy/White probably combined for about 7 on him as well. He needs to improve a lot, but for the most part be hasn't had big bags kicked on him.

mjp
20-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Did I read that Carlton have told Henderson he won't be selected for the rest of the year?

I would name him in the ruck. And not interchange him all day. And instruct a team-mate who is unhappy with his decision to go 3rd man up all over the ground...knee into Henderson of course.

Tell me who amongst the members wouldn't support this course of action?

1eyedog
20-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Pavlich got 5 on him and Moore/Grundy/White probably combined for about 7 on him as well. He needs to improve a lot, but for the most part be hasn't had big bags kicked on him.

Talia played pretty exclusively on Grundy and Witts against the Pies. I didn't see him match up on Moore at all.

bornadog
20-08-2015, 10:42 PM
Carlisle isn't the player for us.

or Henderson

jeemak
20-08-2015, 11:03 PM
Did I read that Carlton have told Henderson he won't be selected for the rest of the year?

I would name him in the ruck. And not interchange him all day. And instruct a team-mate who is unhappy with his decision to go 3rd man up all over the ground...knee into Henderson of course.

Tell me who amongst the members wouldn't support this course of action?

Well, I can't speak for Carlton members, but I wouldn't.

F'scary
20-08-2015, 11:07 PM
Looks like it is Shocktaugust for Carton

bulldogtragic
20-08-2015, 11:08 PM
Looks like it is Shocktaugust for Carton

Mark Murphy going to GCS would need to happen as well to get a genuine shock month status.

LostDoggy
20-08-2015, 11:09 PM
More like shocktwenty-first century :)

GVGjr
20-08-2015, 11:31 PM
or Henderson

What are you basing that on?

Twodogs
20-08-2015, 11:38 PM
Has Henderson nominated a club?

GVGjr
20-08-2015, 11:40 PM
Has Henderson nominated a club?

No. I don't think he can do that.

Remi Moses
21-08-2015, 03:14 AM
Why wouldn't they stick in the northern bull ant blues side?
I'd be surprised if they get a top 10 for him(that was proposed)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-08-2015, 08:24 AM
Why wouldn't they stick in the northern bull ant blues side?
I'd be surprised if they get a top 10 for him(that was proposed)

Why would they risk him getting injured in the remaining 3 games and see his trade value completely disappear? I think they're making the best of a bad situation.....worse luck. With him and Yarran more than likely both exiting and maybe Bell too, they are going to have a few picks inside the first 3 rounds to play with.

bornadog
21-08-2015, 08:54 AM
What are you basing that on?

Same as what you are with Carlisle ie attitude.

Greystache
21-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Talia played pretty exclusively on Grundy and Witts against the Pies. I didn't see him match up on Moore at all.

https://youtu.be/o0kRZYKe4b4

The last 3 he was matched up on him. Incidentally his first 2 game from Talia being outmarked further up the ground.

1eyedog
21-08-2015, 10:44 AM
https://youtu.be/o0kRZYKe4b4

The last 3 he was matched up on him. Incidentally his first 2 game from Talia being outmarked further up the ground.

Perhaps I dreamt I was there.

p.s may need to rethink hanging onto him if he's getting stiched up by an 18 year old.

Twodogs
21-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Perhaps I dreamt I was there.

p.s may need to rethink hanging onto him if he's getting stiched up by an 18 year old.

From memory there was a Joe the goose and then a dodgy free kick in the last quarter.

Does Talia panic and take his eyes of the ball in marking contests? Quite often his opponent seems to come from nowhere to mark the ball while Talia is looking in the other direction.

1eyedog
21-08-2015, 02:23 PM
From memory there was a Joe the goose and then a dodgy free kick in the last quarter.

Does Talia panic and take his eyes of the ball in marking contests? Quite often his opponent seems to come from nowhere to mark the ball while Talia is looking in the other direction.

Good question I'll be sure to watch him closely on Sunday. His biggest test is coming up.

Twodogs
21-08-2015, 04:33 PM
Good question I'll be sure to watch him closely on Sunday. His biggest test is coming up.

I think it's Moore's last mark. Talia is in prime position in the contest but somehow gets turned around and has his back to the ball when Moore takes the grab.

1eyedog
21-08-2015, 06:23 PM
I think it's Moore's last mark. Talia is in prime position in the contest but somehow gets turned around and has his back to the ball when Moore takes the grab.

I noticed that and know exactly what you're saying - he didn't even get off the ground and did seem a bit panic stricken grabbing Moore around the waist as he went up. Not sure how much this is happening but it does tell me that he's more worried about his man than where the ball is going. If you struggle reading the flight of the ball and your positioning is compromised you're in a world of hurt as a key defender.

Doc26
21-08-2015, 08:09 PM

With Henderson you can add terrible form for the greater part of the season.

Whilst Carlisle's attitude has suffered under the weight of his Club's plight and expectations on him, and whilst not having a stand out season, I would still give him a pass mark for his on field form which is far from where Lachie Henderson has found himself battling away in the seconds.

For mine, Henderson's a nice, flexible footballer when in form, whereas to unlock the key to Carlisle will offer more in effecting the outcome of a game.

Luke's ability this season to get outstanding results from the unexpected should give us confidence that he can tap in to Carlisle's immense potential.

bulldogtragic
21-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Gil Mc slammed Hendo today, absolutely lined him up and slapped him down on radio. I don't recall his predecessors doing it, but I have to agree with his reasoning about this not becoming a pattern.

GVGjr
21-08-2015, 08:57 PM

Henderson has been a good citizen all his career, I'm not sure that the 'attitude' between the two players is comparable.

azabob
21-08-2015, 10:11 PM
Gil Mc slammed Hendo today, absolutely lined him up and slapped him down on radio. I don't recall his predecessors doing it, but I have to agree with his reasoning about this not becoming a pattern.

Yet he didnt line up and slam Brisbane for doing the same to Adcock.

Double standards by the AFL.

bornadog
21-08-2015, 10:13 PM
Henderson has been a good citizen all his career, I'm not sure that the 'attitude' between the two players is comparable.

I don't know about off field, I guess I mean he hasn't put in 100% this year as he has been unhappy at Carlton. Performance will be effected if you just don't want to be at your work place.

We would need to take a good look at him before we decide.

jeemak
21-08-2015, 10:15 PM

So Henderson says he doesn't want to be at Carlton next year three games prior to season's end and gets slammed by the AFL's CEO, and within the same 24 hour period the Lions tell Adcock he won't have his contract renewed...............presumably with no comment from AFL House (unless I missed it).

Where's the balance in perception? Both players are at the end of their contracts, so what's the big deal?

I acknowledge players and clubs aren't supposed to cut deals mid season with contracted players, but if the AFL is really stupid enough to believe we don't think managers get sounded out by clubs and communicate with their players then it's just another example of how they take us for fools. They're heavy handedly trying to protect an image or ideal that doesn't really exist.

azabob
21-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Interesting take on Henderson by i think Andy Maher of all people. Henderson very early on found out the hard way footy is a business and players are a commodity. Being part of the Fevola deal, he didnt want to leave Brisbane at all but was forced to.

Henderson just getting in first this time.

GVGjr
21-08-2015, 10:37 PM

Gil did the wrong thing. Henderson who is out of contract told the club he wouldn't be resigning with them and requested a trade. I don't think a player can be any more transparent and yet the club has walked him and the el supremo of the competition has called him out.

Henderson has done the Blues a favor by letting them know early. I can understand Carlton's position but if they were close to playing finals the decision to walk a player that hadn't committed to them beyond the season wouldn't have been as clear.

They will want a 1st round pick for him but he's actually worth a 2nd rounder. It will be interesting to see which clubs might be looking to trade for him given his patchy/disappointing form.

bulldogtragic
21-08-2015, 10:49 PM
Gil did the wrong thing. Henderson who is out of contract told the club he wouldn't be resigning with them and requested a trade. I don't think a player can be any more transparent and yet the club has walked him and the el supremo of the competition has called him out.

Henderson has done the Blues a favor by letting them know early. I can understand Carlton's position but if they were close to playing finals the decision to walk a player that hadn't committed to them beyond the season wouldn't have been as clear.

They will want a 1st round pick for him but he's actually worth a 2nd rounder. It will be interesting to see which clubs might be looking to trade for him given his patchy/disappointing form.

Interesting if Hendo and Yarran walk out then you've got to think their values will drop. Geelong won't pay 10 and Richmond won't pay 13 as first rounders. Carlton will demand more than 28-31. Interesting position ahead.

If they have to give up the second and third rounder for young Silvagni their ability to trade picks around gets harder too. I think they need to go fishing for Kruezer to get pick 2. I'd refuse to trade with Essendon and take Carlisle in the PSD. That's four KPPs without trade compo for the two above. Makes coaching them a little easier going ahead.