PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 22 vs North Melbourne

Eastdog
21-08-2015, 08:53 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 22 match against North Melbourne at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

bulldogtragic
23-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Boyd, Roughy, Hrovat, Boyd, Picken all fit.

bulldogtragic
23-08-2015, 08:29 PM
In:

Roughy, T. Boyd, M. Boyd, Picken, Zaine, Hrovat

Out:

Talia, Morris (inj or Gen Sore), Smith, Daniel, Pearce, Redpath

jazzadogs
23-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Will be interesting to see what happens with Roarke and Pearce. Neither of them looked up to it, but we have form of keeping players in for more than one match this year.

I like the sweeping changes outlined by BT above, we looked tired and I think in most cases there are actually better players waiting in the wings.

The only I'd say is a bit stiff is Caleb, thought he looked alright in what I saw.

bulldogtragic
23-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Will be interesting to see what happens with Roarke and Pearce. Neither of them looked up to it, but we have form of keeping players in for more than one match this year.

I like the sweeping changes outlined by BT above, we looked tired and I think in most cases there are actually better players waiting in the wings.

The only I'd say is a bit stiff is Caleb, thought he looked alright in what I saw.

I was tossing up Caleb or Lin. I think Lin needs another good run before he's in danger of being dropped.

Ozza
23-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Grant will likely miss with his nose. He never really came back from the same injury last year.

I'd say

In: Roughead, Boyd, Boyd, Picken
Out: Campbell, Pearce, smith, Jong

Go_Dogs
23-08-2015, 09:10 PM
In:-
M Boyd, Picken, Roughead, Roberts, Hrovat

Out:-
Smith, Pearce, Redpath, Talia, Daniel

Boyd and Picken are easy ones.

I'd like to see Roberts in - we need him for September and I'd like him to have 2 games under his belt at AFL level before then.

Roughead and Campbell to share the ruck duties and be our stay at home target deep when not in the ruck.

Daniel has been good, but Hrovat has seemingly been in OK touch at VFL level and is due for another crack in the senior side.

always right
23-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Grant will likely miss with his nose. He never really came back from the same injury last year.

I'd say

In: Roughead, Boyd, Boyd, Picken
Out: Campbell, Pearce, smith, Jong

Feel sorry for Grant.....has had a terrific season and this could very well result in him missing the finals.

Ozza
23-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Feel sorry for Grant.....has had a terrific season and this could very well result in him missing the finals.

Yep today couldn't have gone too much worse for him. Looked a horrible broken nose. Hopefully it's not more damage than that (ie. Cheekbone. Or eye socket).

F'scary
23-08-2015, 09:25 PM
In: Roughead (KPB), Roberts, Moyd, Picken, (Toyd, Hrovat, Minson if 3 below are injured)

Out: Talia, Jong, Smith, Pearce, Morris (if inj), Grant (if inj), Cambell (if inj)

Rocco Jones
23-08-2015, 10:02 PM
With a 6 day break + Subi combo, I think we drop/rest pretty much anyone on the peripheral of the team!

In- Roughead, Roberts, M.Boyd, Picken, Hrovat, Minson, Webb
Out- Morris (inj), Grant (inj), Campbell (inj/rest), R.Smith, Pearce, Jong, Talia

Ozza
23-08-2015, 10:06 PM
From Bevo presser:

Campbell a bad cork (why he Couldn't ruck)
Morris an Achilles
Grant a compound fracture of his nose (ouch)

bulldogtragic
23-08-2015, 10:24 PM
From Bevo presser:

Morris an Achilles

Bad...

F'scary
23-08-2015, 10:38 PM
From Bevo presser:

Morris an Achilles

Some worrying descriptors there.

merantau
23-08-2015, 10:47 PM
Grant damned unlucky. That sounds like at least a month to me. An Achilles? That could be serious too.

bulldogtragic
23-08-2015, 11:01 PM
Grant damned unlucky. That sounds like at least a month to me. An Achilles? That could be serious too.

I'm not sure exactly where to post it. But if you have a straight arm in a ruck contest it's a free. But if you throw a rucking player (Bonts) into the head of a team mate before the contest taking out both opponents in a ruck contest it's all fair. Garbage and Grants year might be over without so much as a free kick to the team.

LostDoggy
23-08-2015, 11:09 PM
Huge changes coming up.

Our talls were exposed this week, and North have just about the best and most versatile collection of talls going around; Goldstein, Petrie, Ben Brown, Waite, Tarrant, Thompson, Firrito, McMillan.

Suspect Campbell will be out. Talia looks likely omission and Redpath will be feeling the pinch, he did a power of work for a still inexperienced player. If Morris misses as well (probable?) it further weakens our defence in the air.

I can see 3 of Minson, T.Boyd, Roughead and Roberts coming in, maybe all 4 (if 3, maybe one of the Cordys for Morris?).

Will not be surprised if a couple more miss though general soreness.

Of the mids, Picken, MBoyd and Hrovat should be in. Depending on who needs resting, possible form omissions include Jong, Smith, Pearce (tough on them after limited opportunity but it's R22, need best team in).

Remi Moses
23-08-2015, 11:44 PM
Haven't seen today's game yet, but you'd imagine Hrovat for Jong
Minson for TC Roughy and Fletch for Dale and Talia .
Picken and M Boyd come in for Roarke and Pierce

Ozza
23-08-2015, 11:49 PM
I'm not sure exactly where to post it. But if you have a straight arm in a ruck contest it's a free. But if you throw a rucking player (Bonts) into the head of a team mate before the contest taking out both opponents in a ruck contest it's all fair. Garbage and Grants year might be over without so much as a free kick to the team.

I dunno BT...it was just unlucky really. NicNat shoved Bont in the way you'd expect he would in a ruck contest, and Grant was trying to go third man up at the exact moment.
Very unlucky, but I don't think you can say Nic knowingly shoved Bont 'into' Grant. With ruck duals these days there are players flying in from every which way- and with that comes the risk of contact.

LostDoggy
24-08-2015, 12:07 AM
Part of the problem surely is throwing teenage midfielders in to Ruck contests against a seasoned Ruck monster like NN.

boydogs
24-08-2015, 12:22 AM
Yep ring the changes this week, not because we were awful, because the 6 day break from Perth is hard to get up from. Plus injuries & players returning from injuries that need a run up to the finals

Greystache
24-08-2015, 09:53 AM
I think it's time to start putting together our finals team and giving them a week or two to gel and be match fit. Assuming everyone comes up from the game.

In- Roughead, Boyd, Picken, Roberts, Boyd

Out- Pearce, Smith, Jong, Talia, Redpath

Roberts is needed in defence, Roughead will play in defence and help out in the ruck, Boyd and Picken are automatics, and Boyd's contested marking style is better suited to the pressure on disposal up the field that finals brings.

Mantis
24-08-2015, 09:59 AM
I think it's time to start putting together our finals team and giving them a week or two to gel and be match fit. Assuming everyone comes up from the game.

In- Roughead, Boyd, Picken, Roberts, Boyd

Out- Pearce, Smith, Jong, Talia, Redpath

Roberts is needed in defence, Roughead will play in defence and help out in the ruck, Boyd and Picken are automatics, and Boyd's contested marking style is better suited to the pressure on disposal up the field that finals brings.

Agree with that, need Roughy in defence to pick up Petrie or Brown.. North play 3 talls and we need to match up accordingly.

Roberts - Petrie
Roughy - Brown
Hamling - Waite

You also are assuming that all of Campbell, Morris & Grant are good too go which I would think is unlikely..Someone like Daniel could do with a spell too.... We could have up to 7 or 8 changes.

Rocco Jones
24-08-2015, 10:14 AM
Agree with that, need Roughy in defence to pick up Petrie or Brown.. North play 3 talls and we need to match up accordingly.

Roberts - Petrie
Roughy - Brown
Hamling - Waite

You also are assuming that all of Campbell, Morris & Grant are good too go which I would think is unlikely..Someone like Daniel could do with a spell too.... We could have up to 7 or 8 changes.

Agree with that. I went with 7 changes. Caleb as a sub.

merantau
24-08-2015, 10:20 AM
We had a very bad day. By my count we had 10 who contributed little, 8 who were reasonable, 3 who were very good and one who was stellar. I still want Redpath and Tom Boyd together. Talia is too loose for mine. Roughie and Roberts back in as well as Matty Boyd and Picken. Rourke Smith and Pearce out. We really missed Koby Stevens yesterday.

SlimPickens
24-08-2015, 11:35 AM
Ins: Roberts, Roughy, M Boyd, Picken, T Boyd.

Out: Talia, Smith, Daniel, Grant (Inj), Campbell (Inj)

Bulldog4life
24-08-2015, 11:45 AM

I like this team. Like yourself Slim I want to see Redders and Tom Boyd playing together. The only other player I would consider dropping would be Pearce not withstanding his limited game time on Sunday. I would like to see Hrovat in.

Mantis
24-08-2015, 11:47 AM

Roughy as 1st ruck against Goldstein?

Leaves us a bit short in defence.. How would you be matching up against Waite, Petrie & Brown?

Rocco Jones
24-08-2015, 12:03 PM

Leaves us a bit short in defence.. How would you be matching up against Waite, Petrie & Brown?

Yeah I wanted Roughy as 1st ruck but Morris injury changes it. Roughy 2nd ruck/defender role supporting other 2 KP defenders is a must now.

1eyedog
24-08-2015, 12:23 PM
INS:

T. Boyd, M. Boyd, L. Picken, N. Hrovat, F. Roberts, J. Roughhead

OUTS:

R. Smith, D. Pearce, J. Redpath, M. Talia, Morris (inj), Grant (inj).

Hrovat is in front of Smith and Pearce by a fair margin and has good VFL form, needs to come in.

LostDoggy
24-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Found it curious after the match when Bevo was asked about potential replacements for Campbell.

Bevo mentioned 3 options; TBoyd, Will and Ayce. Seemed keenest on TBoyd.

No Roughy?

Either an oversight, they're slotting him down back or he's still a little way off.

Hope it's either of the first 2 because we really need him this week.

G-Mo77
24-08-2015, 01:23 PM
Found it curious after the match when Bevo was asked about potential replacements for Campbell.

Bevo mentioned 3 options; TBoyd, Will and Ayce. Seemed keenest on TBoyd.

No Roughy?

Either an oversight, they're slotting him down back or he's still a little way off.

Hope it's either of the first 2 because we really need him this week.

Probably an oversight. Watching the game Friday night Roughy would be my first choice to come into the team. Unless he got an injury during the game.

Ins: Roughy, Hrovat, Picken, Boyd (Assuming both those guys are right to go)
Outs: Campbell, Grant, Morris, Pearce or Smith.

Trends suggest that both Pearce and Smith will be in next week though so could be someone like Daniel.

Redpath may have to make way for T. Boyd. We probably would need a better pinch ruck against Goldstein.

Sedat
24-08-2015, 01:30 PM
Righto, this is the week to play our best available 22 and settle the team down for the finals. The only caveat is that we might need to sacrifice a small for a tall due to match-ups with Norf.

SlimPickens
24-08-2015, 02:13 PM

Yep. Think Rough and T Boyd against Goldstein is the way to go if Campbell is injured.

Roberts and Hamling on Petrie and Brown, Morris goes to Waite. That being said our defence doesn't tend to be man on man so pressure through the middle will be paramount.

boydogs
24-08-2015, 02:59 PM
Out: Pearce, R Smith, Hamling, Talia, Grant (inj)
In: Boyd, Picken, Roughead, Roberts, Hrovat

Assuming Grant won't get up, Campbell's cork will & Morris was just precautionary

Redpath lucky as Tom Boyd was beaten in the VFL

Happy Days
24-08-2015, 04:47 PM
I only saw (and will only ever see) about 15 minutes of yesterday's game (enough time to see Granty get his face caved in :( ), but from reading reports;

In: Medium Boyd, Picken, Roughead, Hrovat, Roberts

Out: Pearce, Talia, Smith, Redpath, Grant

I could be convinced of XL Boyd for Campbell, but he was excellent the two weeks previous and seems to have played hindered this week. I don't care how much structure and aggression Redpath gives us, he is bad and shouldn't keep his place; I'd look at one of Campbell or Roughy in his spot, with the other rucking. And whilst their ruckman is a bad, bad man, their midfielders are paper giant, low-accumulation-for-how-slow-and-lame-they-are front runners who we should be able to get on top of.

For the pseudo-matchups we'll trot out, Hamling to Brown, Roberts to Petrie and Morris to Waite. Gonna have to get someone to stop that twerp Higgins as well.

Bulldog Joe
24-08-2015, 05:16 PM
I know he is clearly out of favour, but surely Minson needs to be considered this week.

He is definitely our best performer in ruck contests and also played well for Footscray, being clearly better than TBoyd as a forward as well.

It is about time we picked our best side. We need to win this one.

Greystache
24-08-2015, 05:21 PM
I know he is clearly out of favour, but surely Minson needs to be considered this week.

He is definitely our best performer in ruck contests and also played well for Footscray, being clearly better than TBoyd as a forward as well.

It is about time we picked our best side. We need to win this one.

Maybe on Friday he was, but Boyd had kicked 11 goals in the previous 3 weeks while also rucking. Minson has also proven he cannot play forward at AFL level, so it doesn't really come into calculations anyway. Goldstein is way too mobile for Minson around the ground.

Bulldog Joe
24-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Maybe on Friday he was, but Boyd had kicked 11 goals in the previous 3 weeks while also rucking. Minson has also proven he cannot play forward at AFL level, so it doesn't really come into calculations anyway. Goldstein is way too mobile for Minson around the ground.

I don't disagree with those comments, BUT Minson is still our best ruck option.

Greystache
24-08-2015, 05:48 PM

He is for hitouts, but he won't beat Goldstein in that area, and he won't be able to compete around the ground. I wouldn't play him, no point conceding a weakness to make ground in an area we'll still lose in.

Ozza
24-08-2015, 06:04 PM

Minson has only been part of the ruck rotations for 2 quarters out of 4 each week in the last 2-3 games. That would be a fair indication of where he is seen to be at, at the moment.

Roughead was in the ruck rotation for all 4 quarters on the weekend.

Stefcep
24-08-2015, 07:37 PM
I do not feel confident about this game at all. We seem to struggle against North, Petrie has towelled us up a few times over the years.

Pickenitup
24-08-2015, 08:43 PM
We will beat North we should be very confident we play the ground well and We Are A Very Good side.

In Roughead M.Boyd T.Boyd Hrovat Picken Roberts
Out Smith Pearce Morris(inj) Daniel(Rest) Talia Grant(Inj)

Ghost Dog
24-08-2015, 09:37 PM
I thought Zaine Cordy, on tape at least from VFL highlights, looks to be tracking at least as well as Smith. Is he that far away from AFL?

GVGjr
24-08-2015, 09:42 PM
I thought Zaine Cordy, on tape at least from VFL highlights, looks to be tracking at least as well as Smith. Is he that far away from AFL?

The way we select teams I don't anyone is that far away from a game.

LostDoggy
24-08-2015, 09:45 PM
If Morris misses (which looks probable, Achilles are tricky - with a 6 day break and trip back from Perth he's too valuale to risk here) I reckon Z.Cordy is a great option chance to come in and play on the mobile 3 tall for North, probably Waite.

The MC are certainly not averse to giving a raw young fella a go.

Rocco Jones
24-08-2015, 09:52 PM
If Morris misses (which looks probable, Achilles are tricky - with a 6 day break and trip back from Perth he's too valuale to risk here) I reckon Z.Cordy is a great option chance to come in and play on the mobile 3 tall for North, probably Waite.

The MC are certainly not averse to giving a raw young fella a go.

I think it's a big difference when it's a KP defender rather than just another running type. Being rag dolled etc, not the greatest thing for development.

Webby
24-08-2015, 10:16 PM
I think Z Cordy will clearly play 200+ games of AFL footy for us and be a gun AFL defender. However I'd rather see him
Play out the VFL season and have a solid pre-season prior to debuting. After a shoulder reconstruction and no real pre-season, he's underdone and too valuable a commodity to risk. Let him develop, I say.

Smith got a run because firstly he's a Rookie who we want to list at year end and secondly because we've wisely rested old blokes Boyd and Picken from a short turn around and a long trip.

LostDoggy
24-08-2015, 10:49 PM
I think it's a big difference when it's a KP defender rather than just another running type. Being rag dolled etc, not the greatest thing for development.

I'm not spruiking a spot for Z.Cordy, just think he's a chance.

If he does play, certainly shouldn't be as a KPD.

As I said in my post, I think he'd be well suited to taking a 3rd mobile tall.

Such a role would be fantastic for his development.

1eyedog
24-08-2015, 11:10 PM
I'm not spruiking a spot for Z.Cordy, just think he's a chance.

If he does play, certainly shouldn't be as a KPD.

As I said in my post, I think he'd be well suited to taking a 3rd mobile tall.

Such a role would be fantastic for his development.

North are essentially playing three key talls in their forward line. I see Waite as a key. He's a big strong guy and he'll get hold of Cordy, he's not ready yet. Don't mind Hamling on Waite, Roughie on Petrie and Roberts on Brown or vice versa for the last two.

If the ball hits the ground in the North Melbourne forward line its going to be up our end pretty quickly IMO.

Ghost Dog
24-08-2015, 11:48 PM
North are all camped in front of a replay of the weekend's game V Wtoast, and plan to make a blueprint of their attack.
A tall team, and our only chance is to win the midfield battle, says captain obvious.
As a result, Is this a game where we throw Matt B back in the midfield should the regular wrecking crew start to stumble?

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-08-2015, 12:42 PM
North are all camped in front of a replay of the weekend's game V Wtoast, and plan to make a blueprint of their attack.
A tall team, and our only chance is to win the midfield battle, says captain obvious.
As a result, Is this a game where we throw Matt B back in the midfield should the regular wrecking crew start to stumble?

Picken coming back is a strength for us in the midfield. We should also be better placed having Roughead take the centre taps against Goldstein, given his extra height and spring. Matthew Boyd at this stage of his career gives much better value in defence.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2015, 01:49 PM
As others have said, Roughy and Roberts must play - they're in our best 22 and with finals two weeks away it's now or never. Picken/Boyd automatic selections. I'd like to see Boyd replace Redpath, although it might be worth saving Tom for the last round v Brisbane and gearing him up for that first final. Time, IMO, to include Hrovat in place of Daniel.

Rocco Jones
25-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Adjusted changes

In- Roughy, Roberts, Hrovat, T.Boyd, Picken, M.Boyd
Out- Morris, Talia, Grant, Campbell (injured), Pearce, R.Smith

Sub- Daniel

bornadog
25-08-2015, 05:59 PM
Adjusted changes

In- Roughy, Roberts, Hrovat, T.Boyd, Picken, M.Boyd
Out- Morris, Talia, Grant, Campbell (injured), Pearce, R.Smith

Sub- Daniel

I would go the same depending on final injury report which doesn't seem to be out yet.

bornadog
25-08-2015, 06:27 PM
Here is the injury list with some good news.

Player
Injury
Duration

Matthew Boyd (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogs/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/matthew-boyd)
general soreness
test

Liam Picken (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogs/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/liam-picken)
back
test

Jarrad Grant (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogs/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/jarrad-grant)
broken nose
test

Dale Morris (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogs/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/dale-morris)
Achilles
test

Michael Talia (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogs/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/michael-talia)
ankle
test

Josh Prudden (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogs/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/josh-prudden)
hamstring
2-3 weeks

Toby McLean (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogs/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/toby-mclean)
ac joint
2-3 weeks

Koby Stevens (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogs/news/westernbulldogs/player-profile/koby-stevens)
heel stress fracture
2-3 weeks

Tom Campbell all clear to play.

Hotdog60
25-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Well in light of the medical report we got off ok. I hope Grant can play because I think he needs the continuity for his game.

F'scary
25-08-2015, 08:34 PM
My God, Grant had his face smashed in on top of a 6 day recovery period after a trip to Perth. I hope he is a glutton for punishment.

Rocco Jones
25-08-2015, 08:48 PM
From the wording in the report I am going with Morris okay to play (perhaps rested) and Grant out for a week.

boydogs
25-08-2015, 08:57 PM
They seem to wait until Thursday to say players haven't come up and will be out with general soreness, so expect a couple of outs that aren't on the injury list

Rocco Jones
25-08-2015, 10:08 PM
They seem to wait until Thursday to say players haven't come up and will be out with general soreness, so expect a couple of outs that aren't on the injury list

That's right. Even if Morris comes up, he might then be rested.

I hope we play as many as possible and then rest them up against the Lions.

Remi Moses
26-08-2015, 03:10 AM
Hmmmm might need to change this thread to
Match Commitee v Dad's Army .
Fairly old side we're playing Saturday

choconmientay
26-08-2015, 11:04 AM
That's right. Even if Morris comes up, he might then be rested.

I hope we play as many as possible and then rest them up against the Lions.

I met Dale's mum yesterday at the IBM function and spoke a bit about last weekend sub-off. It was precautionary but he's fine to go this week :). He wasn't really happy as well to have gotten the vest.

Btw, if you guys are want to do some IT trainings, please get in contact with Jenny at fast lane (http://www.flane.com.au/AU/)

LostDoggy
26-08-2015, 11:57 AM
So, Dale's Mum is Jenny Morris??

That gives me 80s flashbacks.:) :)

bornadog
26-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Minson plays this week.

F'scary
26-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Minson plays this week.

Can you imagine what Goldstein would be thinking if he sees Minson lining up against him. A disgruntled, angry, much suspended, roughouse Ruckman who could be thinking that he is playing his last game?

Could be a good move to play Minson.

chef
26-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Got a bad feeling about this game, North have won 7 in a row.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Got a bad feeling about this game, North have won 7 in a row.

All the more reason that they're due for a loss!

Ghost Dog
26-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Scott Thompson I rate over any of the Eagles backs. Very hard to beat and if he matches up on Stringer, should be a great battle. That's right fans, the man who almost had his ears pulled off by Barry Hall.

LostDoggy
26-08-2015, 06:49 PM
North's defence generally is the opposite of Eagles last week. With Thompson, Tarrant, Hansen, Firrito and Wright it is quite tall but slow. It'll be interesting to see what kind of a forward line we put up.

I almost reckon if we want to try Boyd/Redpath together this is the week.

bornadog
27-08-2015, 07:26 PM
IN
Jordan Roughead, Zaine Cordy, Matthew Boyd, Liam Picken, Lukas Webb, Mitch Honeychurch

OUT
Michael Talia (Ankle), Tom Campbell (Thigh), Lin Jong (Omitted), Caleb Daniel (Omitted), Roarke Smith (Omitted), Daniel Pearce (Omitted)
NEW

Zaine CordyIN

bornadog
27-08-2015, 07:27 PM
No Hrovat

Roughead number one ruck

Ozza
27-08-2015, 07:28 PM
No Tom Boyd...still. Disappointing.

Surely Roughead rucks, and having Redpath named as ruck won't be the plan.

bornadog
27-08-2015, 07:29 PM

EMERGENCIES
17 Tom Boyd
35 Caleb Daniel
46 Lin Jong

azabob
27-08-2015, 07:30 PM
Who plays in the back half?

Very very small team...

This is the most confused I have been all year with the selections.

bornadog
27-08-2015, 07:32 PM

Very very small team...

I agree, basically we have conceded the rucks again.

1eyedog
27-08-2015, 07:33 PM
Ok so Roberts and Tom aren't best 22 well I'll be frigged.

How the hell can Zaine Cordy be best 22 FFS.

bornadog
27-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Ok so Roberts and Tom aren't best 22 well I'll be frigged.

How the hell can Zaine Cordy be best 22 FFS.

I don't think that is what Bevo is saying

LostDoggy
27-08-2015, 07:42 PM
To me it looks like Redpath/Roughead will take the centre square and then someone like Biggs or Bont will ruck around the ground. Not only is Goldstein a great tap ruckmen his work around the ground is first class.

Will be interesting how this pans out..

bornadog
27-08-2015, 07:44 PM
I really hate North - it goes back to the 70's when they were gifted premierships by the AFL changing rules to get them over the line.

God I hope we beat these pretenders.

Rocket Science
27-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Thrilled for Zaine but fair dinkum, how critical do the stakes have to be before the selectors revert from experimental mode to picking a side built to win.

At this rate, should we make the granny I'll be expecting a debutant in the 22.

Loves flouting the rules does our Bev.

1eyedog
27-08-2015, 07:47 PM
I don't think that is what Bevo is saying

Its what he was saying in his presser leading up to the announcement. We'll pick the best 22.

Cyberdoggie
27-08-2015, 07:47 PM
To me it looks like Redpath/Roughead will take the centre square and then someone like Biggs or Bont will ruck around the ground. Not only is Goldstein a great tap ruckmen his work around the ground is first class.

Will be interesting how this pans out..

I'm guessing we are going to try and outrun them

Stuff their talls, WCE don't need them why should we. if we put enough pressure around the ball, get more of it and get it in quickly we won't need slow key backs. We will out numbered them with our run.

Sure if it doesn't work we may get slaughtered but will be fun to watch!

Remi Moses
27-08-2015, 07:56 PM
Surprised Hrovat didn't get picked.
Must be some tough love happening there
Beveridge has said from day one he'll play everyone on the list, and he hasn't Vered .
Clearly a plan for Goldstein with mobility the key.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-08-2015, 07:57 PM
As others have noted, some really interesting selections. No Roberts and Hrovat is a real surprise, as is the ruck situation.

Perhaps they figure bringing Roughy in this week, Roberts next?

Not sure what to make of it.

LostDoggy
27-08-2015, 07:58 PM
WCE don't need them why should we.

WCE also have the best tap ruckmen and clearance player in the league. At worst they break even in every ruck dual/clearance. More often than not moving the ball forward and allowong the zone (web) to be set.

You're right though, it will be fun to watch if it works!

ReLoad
27-08-2015, 07:59 PM
I love how Bevo and the MC are taking the long game to the selection table, he isn't priming us for a finals series this year, he is priming us for a sustained period of finals from next year or even the year after onwards.

make no mistake, what he is doing is about development, not winning the here and now, it just so happens that the development is coming together really well and looks like we will squeeze in a final (maybe 2 if all goes well)

Id love for our young side to pinch a final, I doubt we can go deep, but im really happy with the way he is showing confidence in the kids.

And for those who like a punt; Goldstein is going to smash the hit out record this weekend.

josie
27-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Does anyone have inside info on how badly Grant's nose is broken? Wonder if he was in training drills this week. Perhaps TBoyd or Hrovat in as a late change for Grant?

F'scary
27-08-2015, 08:09 PM
Does anyone have inside info on how badly Grant's nose is broken? Wonder if he was in training drills this week. Perhaps TBoyd or Hrovat in as a late change for Grant?

Put it this way, currently he looks like Ozzy Osbourne's microphone.

Mitcha
27-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Any chance those calling for Hrovats inclusion this week could check the VFL side, he is not selected so most likely injured.

Ghost Dog
My favorite team of the year. Going to be fun to watch. Great day for clan Cordy. Not like this kid has been built up or anything!

merantau
Well, like many, I am surprised. Our mids are going to have to be on the ball to negate Goldstein's influence. And whoever kicks in - you are going to have to use your smarts, look for a short option and keep the ball away from their talls.

Bulldog4life
27-08-2015, 08:14 PM

Maybe Boyd he is an emergency

LostDoggy
27-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Honeychurch over Hrovat is a really interesting one for me.

Honeychurch has been ok the last few weeks, but seems to fade out of games pretty quickly.

Webb is also a strange one, hasn't really set the world on fire.. and we have about 4 blokes in the side already playing his role.

LostDoggy
27-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Honeychurch over Hrovat is a really interesting one for me.

Honeychurch has been ok the last few weeks, but seems to fade out of games pretty quickly.

Webb is also a strange one, hasn't really set the world on fire.. and we have about 4 blokes in the side already playing his role.

Hrovat not in Footscray team either. Injured??

Eastdog
27-08-2015, 08:34 PM

T Boyd from what I've heard has done well in the VFL. Will be good to see him soon in our forward line.

Not as suprising as you think with the team changes as we have a lot of young kids who need resting and we have come of a big loss.

Eastdog
27-08-2015, 08:34 PM
Hrovat not in Footscray team either. Injured??

You would think so if thats the case but I'm only guessing. The folks in the inner sacrum of the club would know.

GVGjr
27-08-2015, 08:35 PM
I'm not sure the value in bringing in first year players for one game and then dropping them. I thought those days were long behind us. We've done that before and I don't think it's the right way.

Looking forward to seeing how Roughead goes as the main ruckman.

Eastdog
27-08-2015, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure the value in bringing in first year players for one game and then dropping them. I thought those days were long behind us. We've done that before and I don't think it's the right way.

Yeah you would think play them for a few games and see how they go and then make a change if necessary.

GVGjr
27-08-2015, 08:39 PM

Very very small team...

Clearly our focus is on assessing the list. I've struggled with the selection logic for most of the last half of the season.

LostDoggy
27-08-2015, 09:04 PM
The more you look at this team, the more you have to suspect that TBoyd will come in as an emergency, maybe for Grant??

LostDoggy
27-08-2015, 09:14 PM

I agree, particularly when that 1 game is against a red hot WCE in Perth. Feels like change for the sake of change.

Poor Pearce, gets a 20 minute run when the team is cooked, and then straight out. Was that for his development? What did the MC learn? Strange.

I would hate to think he never gets another chance.

Ghost Dog
27-08-2015, 09:23 PM
I'm confused as to why Tom Boyd is not playing. I thought he has been pretty good in the ruck in the past. Bevo was pretty testy in the conference when questioned regards our ruck approach last week. Never seen him go after a journo like that.

Before I Die
27-08-2015, 09:39 PM

We had to replace Boyd and Picken and it was likely that the next week they would both be back. This provided an opportunity to reward good form and demonstrate some confidence and belief in a couple of young players. It was probably always likely to be just one week, the alternative was no senior games this year. I don't believe they would have been selected if Bevo didn't believe they could do the job and I am pretty sure if given the choice both Roarke and Pearce would have opted for the one game rather than none in 2015.

Templeton31
27-08-2015, 09:41 PM
T Boyd in for J Grants busted nose seems possible. Otherwise we are very light on in the ruck and realistically even if T Boyd comes in he's not Aaron Sandilands! Still be light on. Will we ever see Big Will in the red white and blue again? I could see not picking Big Will against Natanui but not picking him against Goldstein? Especially when no Roberts or Talia meaning if Will played Roughhead could play key defence but now must play ruck?

Also we have a hell of a lot of half back flankers - Biggs Murph JJ Boyd Webb Wood Cordy Hamling (?). No wonder opposition say our half back line is important - its half the bloody side! :D ;)

Before I Die
27-08-2015, 09:44 PM
Clearly our focus is on assessing the list. I've struggled with the selection logic for most of the last half of the season.

Yet we have kept on winning. My view is that if the MC are picking teams that are winning their games, then the selection focus is on winning games. Especuially when that was not expected to be happenimg at the start of the year.

Doc26
27-08-2015, 09:50 PM

Given MBoyd was being rested for the trip to Perth I wasn't too concerned giving Roarke a taste of it. He certainly would've been given a flavour of the step up in pace and intensity required and hopefully will give him the drive to work that much harder in his next preseason. Certainly a baptism of fire.

Given selection this week you could mount a case to have selected either Zaine or Lucas in Roarke's place last week but giving these guys 2 weeks to prep and prove themselves leading into the finals might still work out for us.

Dry Rot
27-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Grant's nose doesn't sound good. Which emergency would come in?

SlimPickens
27-08-2015, 10:10 PM

Boyd

Doc26
27-08-2015, 10:13 PM
Given our selection approach Declan would have to do a lot wrong not to get a call up next week.

GVGjr
27-08-2015, 10:14 PM
We had to replace Boyd and Picken and it was likely that the next week they would both be back. This provided an opportunity to reward good form and demonstrate some confidence and belief in a couple of young players. It was probably always likely to be just one week, the alternative was no senior games this year. I don't believe they would have been selected if Bevo didn't believe they could do the job and I am pretty sure if given the choice both Roarke and Pearce would have opted for the one game rather than none in 2015.
You appear to be saying that Smith replaced Boyd and Pearce replaced Picken which doesn't ring true to me. My point is that we used to do these token 1 week promotions a few years back and then say that we had X number of youngsters debut during a season when really I don't think it benefited the players that much.

It's great that we are sharing it around but bringing a player up for a week doesn't appear to be right. My view is that we might as well have played Webb instead of Pearce or Smith last week.

I suspect we have now ruled a few players out of contention and are more or less focused on assessing the list than picking players largely on form or the because they are the best replacement players.

GVGjr
27-08-2015, 10:19 PM
I agree, particularly when that 1 game is against a red hot WCE in Perth. Feels like change for the sake of change.

Poor Pearce, gets a 20 minute run when the team is cooked, and then straight out. Was that for his development? What did the MC learn? Strange.

I would hate to think he never gets another chance.

They didn't learn anything but it's a great story that we have nearly selected every player on the list during the season and have won enough games to play in the finals.

GVGjr
27-08-2015, 10:23 PM
Given MBoyd was being rested for the trip to Perth I wasn't too concerned giving Roarke a taste of it. He certainly would've been given a flavour of the step up in pace and intensity required and hopefully will give him the drive to work that much harder in his next preseason. Certainly a baptism of fire.

This is my point though, one week later we have gone to Lukas Webb. Why was it more important to play Smith last week instead of Webb who was the more logical selection to replace Matthew Boyd? Webb had been a good contributor in the games he played.
I'd ask the same question about the selection of Pearce.

Bulldog Joe
27-08-2015, 10:26 PM
This is my point though, one week later we have gone to Lukas Webb. Why was it more important to play Smith last week instead of Webb who was the more logical selection to replace Matthew Boyd? Webb had been a good contributor in the games he played.

Surely it was about man management and protecting important players from the trip to Perth with a Brisbane trip to follow 2 weeks later.

GVGjr
27-08-2015, 10:32 PM
Surely it was about man management and protecting important players from the trip to Perth with a Brisbane trip to follow 2 weeks later.

So are we conceding that last weeks selections were to set us up for the shorter break this week and a trip to Brisbane next week?

1eyedog
27-08-2015, 10:34 PM

I would argue that there are more important players in the team (and for our future) than Boyd and Picken.

Bulldog Joe
27-08-2015, 10:34 PM
So are we conceding that last weeks selections were to set us up for the shorter break this week and a trip to Brisbane next week?

I believe it was certainly part of the consideration.

Throughout the season, Beveridge has consistently showed that he values the management of players to keep the team fresh.

GVGjr
27-08-2015, 10:42 PM

Throughout the season, Beveridge has consistently showed that he values the management of players to keep the team fresh.

I'd agree with most of that until recent weeks.

Lets look at this weeks selections and North have 3 established key forwards and an inform ruckman who's in the mix for a Brownlow and when we lose a Campbell and Talia we replace them with Roughead and Cordy. This is a week after we struggled with controlling Kennedy. Nothing against Cordy but if we assume Roughead is the ruckman Cordy could very well be asked to play on one of the Norths talls which is a tough initiation.

G-Mo77
27-08-2015, 10:44 PM

I think they earned a call up but do hear what you are saying mate. Webb af this stage is a better option. Thoughts on Zaine coming in this week? Is this going to be a short stint like Smith and Pearce.

Bulldog Joe
27-08-2015, 10:45 PM

Lets look at this weeks selections and North have 3 established key forwards and an inform ruckman who's in the mix for a Brownlow and when we lose a Campbell and Talia we replace them with Roughead and Cordy. This is a week after we struggled with controlling Kennedy. Nothing against Cordy but if we assume Roughead is the ruckman Cordy could very well be asked to play on one of the Norths talls which is a tough initiation.

Not disagreeing, but it is not inconsistent with team selection throughout the year.

Perhaps we will surprise and actually use Redpath at centre bounces and treat the around the ground as a midfielder excercise with plenty of 3rd man up.

We may just back our run to overwhelm them.

LostDoggy
27-08-2015, 10:48 PM

There is a difference between resting genuinely hurt/sore players and freshening for freshening's sake.

Picken was genuinely hurt/sore, he had copped a knee to the back the previous week.

That leaves Boyd as the sole player 'freshened'. Resting 1 32yo player doesn't strike me as a team management plan to get us through this 3 week block.

I think individuals just get rested if they are generally sore. To the best of my recollection, Boyd and Murphy are the only players to fit this category all year?

GVGjr
27-08-2015, 10:48 PM
I think they earned a call up but do hear what you are saying mate. Webb af this stage is a better option. Thoughts on Zaine coming in this week? Is this going to be a short stint like Smith and Pearce.

I like the Zaine Cordy selection but I do think it's a tough ask if he has to take one of the North's tall forwards.
Cordy's form is worth a look at and he is a smart footballer who will work it out.

Doc26
27-08-2015, 10:56 PM

The Pearce selection to me was not something I would've backed but that's more because I haven't seen a future for him on our list going forward.

Smith has shown a bit this season so I can understand why the MC might've been keen to see how he held up at the higher level whilst also giving him a taste of it. Unfortunately he was way out of his depth given the quality of the WCE's midfield and forward line. Smith should be offered a 2nd year. I would doubt that Webb would've influenced the outcome significantly particularly given how much our structures broke down under the heat of it.

Webb now has two weeks to prep and prove himself in the lead up to our first final whilst Roarke now has a sharper appreciation of the level expected.

bornadog
27-08-2015, 10:56 PM
I've struggled with the selection logic for most of the last half of the season.

Lucky we aren't on the selection committee as we have won 8 of the last 10 games.

bornadog
27-08-2015, 11:00 PM

It wasn't Kennedy that was the issue, it was the WC midfield banging it in there so often. We need to win in the middle and stop the flow to the North talls.

GVGjr
27-08-2015, 11:02 PM
It wasn't Kennedy that was the issue, it was the WC midfield banging it in there so often. We need to win in the middle and stop the flow to the North talls.

Thats the basic rule every week.

LostDoggy
27-08-2015, 11:02 PM
I like the Zaine Cordy selection but I do think it's a tough ask if he has to take one of the North's tall forwards.
Cordy's form is worth a look at and he is a smart footballer who will work it out.

I thougt ZC was a good chance to be in this week, but I thought it would've been in conjunction with Roberts or Roughy as KPD.
With Hamling/Roberts (orRoughy) to take Petrie/Brown, ZC would be free to take Waite, who is much less of a major target.

With Roughy apparently needing to first ruck, ZC really needs to stand a genuine power forward, which is a tough gig 1st up.

Maybe if Boyd comes in as emergency, he and Jack Ruck/Forward and Roughy is freed to go back?

bornadog
27-08-2015, 11:03 PM
Thats the basic rule every week.

Yes and we got smashed last week.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-08-2015, 11:07 PM

I wonder as to what has happened to Roberts who was very good in the first half of the year and now appears out of favor. There has been big wraps on ZCordy but good be risky against the tall and experienced North attack.
This is a game we need to win as a confidence booster going into the finals.

bornadog
27-08-2015, 11:08 PM
I wonder as to what has happened to Roberts who was very good in the first half of the year and now appears out of favor. There has been big wraps on ZCordy but good be risky against the tall and experienced North attack.
This is a game we need to win as a confidence booster going into the finals.

Maybe he still hasn't found form since his injury.

Doc26
27-08-2015, 11:13 PM
Maybe he still hasn't found form since his injury.

From what I've seen and heard since his return he hasn't justified a call up. Hopefully Fletcher responds this week against Werribee.

Doc26
28-08-2015, 12:25 AM
I'm confused as to why Tom Boyd is not playing. I thought he has been pretty good in the ruck in the past. Bevo was pretty testy in the conference when questioned regards our ruck approach last week. Never seen him go after a journo like that.

Our choice at selection tonight didn't match Luke's initial response to the post match question that if TomC didn't come up from his cork what option would we look to against North. Luke responded straight up with Tom Boyd, referring to his solid VFL form, but that we could also look at Will or Ayce. And he then stated to the press gallery that we certainly wouldn't be going in without a ruckman.

1eyedog
28-08-2015, 12:29 AM
From what I've seen and heard since his return he hasn't justified a call up. Hopefully Fletcher responds this week against Werribee.

Funny isn't it. He performed admirably in the firsts and then gets injured, does his rehab and then has to work his way back in through the seconds and, regardless that he has / can perform at the top level cannot get a game. Zaine's been ok in the seconds but completely untried in the firsts yet gets the call up in front of Roberts in our most important game of the year.

What's the moral of the story? Don't get injured!

kruder
28-08-2015, 12:32 AM
Its time for Jordan to lift,if ever we needed a big performance from him its this week. Lets hope his body is 100%.

Doc26
28-08-2015, 12:40 AM
Funny isn't it. He performed admirably in the firsts and then gets injured, does his rehab and then has to work his way back in through the seconds and, regardless that he has / can perform at the top level cannot get a game. Zaine's been ok in the seconds but completely untried in the firsts yet gets the call up in front of Roberts in our most important game of the year.

What's the moral of the story? Don't get injured!

Or to be mischievous, have your father on the coaching panel.:p

Jokes aside I'm comfortable with Zaine getting a call up this week but grappling more with Boyd's omission given North's height advantage, not that Tom has set the world on fire. An in-form Fletcher would really help us to structure up better.

The Adelaide Connection
28-08-2015, 12:45 AM

Regaining our number 1 tackler can't hurt. I thought we struggled to cover him when he was out versus Port Adelaide earlier in the year and I think he would have helped arrest the clearance discrepancy against WC.

jeemak
28-08-2015, 01:16 AM
Getting Picken back will add 20+ disposals the opposition won't get, and also as you say help out with our tackle count.

Boyd hasn't been flash on the latter point, but has been excellent on the former. Winning the ball 45 times when the opposition doesn't will help us.

I'm concerned about our rucking ability this week. I've not been as bullish about Roughead in the ruck as others have, and I still think he's the option to stand on tall forwards long term.

Against Brown, Waite and Petrie we're very very short this week, so we need to bring team defence to the game and ensure we choke Norf in their back half and through the middle to ensure supply is limited.

If I was to have a cheeky bet on selection long shots, it would be for Ayce to get a late call up to face Goldstein (and we pay a fine), and Roughead to stand Brown or Petrie. But, there's a reason why I don't bet........

boydogs
28-08-2015, 01:18 AM
In our most important game of the year

Not sure about that. We could probably sit out the next 2 games and still make the 8 and play in Melbourne week 1

Remi Moses
28-08-2015, 01:27 AM
T Boyd in for J Grants busted nose seems possible. Otherwise we are very light on in the ruck and realistically even if T Boyd comes in he's not Aaron Sandilands! Still be light on. Will we ever see Big Will in the red white and blue again? I could see not picking Big Will against Natanui but not picking him against Goldstein? Especially when no Roberts or Talia meaning if Will played Roughhead could play key defence but now must play ruck?

Also we have a hell of a lot of half back flankers - Biggs Murph JJ Boyd Webb Wood Cordy Hamling (?). No wonder opposition say our half back line is important - its half the bloody side! :D ;)

Players basically don't play set positions now, and basically everyone plays through the midfield.
Minson would get murdered by Goldstein, and particularly around the park .
Beveridge went with the mantra of seeing what everyone's got, and that's exactly what he's doing

jeemak
28-08-2015, 01:33 AM
Players basically don't play set positions now, and basically everyone plays through the midfield.
Minson would get murdered by Goldstein, and particularly around the park .
Beveridge went with the mantra of seeing what everyone's got, and that's exactly what he's doing

Tend to agree Rem.

Campbell's run was capped off by being able to compete in the ruck contests (which Cordy couldn't do) and getting around the ground (which Cordy could do). Minson struggled with the latter badly (whilst only being moderate in the former) and because Bev is a structure first type of coach he's missed out.

Minson's highly unlikely to play for our club again.

Hotdog60
28-08-2015, 06:46 AM
Maybe the coach isn't looking at finals this year but because of the success we have had us supporters are craving for it from being in the wilderness for a few seasons and are now very excited about the short term fame.
Bevo's goal could be to get players playing how he wants them to and is prepared to wear the consequences. Playing finals this year is just a bonus in the grand plan for ultimate sustained success.
With selection to win games I got no idea what the MC is doing but if this time next year we are sitting on top of the ladder and have the measure of every team under us and a GF looks like a forgone conclusion would everyone be happy with how the MC has gone about things.
I think and I hope the long game is in play and this year is just building blocks to something a lot greater.

Mantis
28-08-2015, 07:48 AM
I don't get what we are trying to do.. I just don't.

Go_Dogs
28-08-2015, 08:29 AM

I'm fairly confident we've got the cattle to win this week, despite looking thin in the ruck and down back with key position players.

Hopefully we see Roberts back next week, and then Boyd (who could still be a late in this week) and then we just about have our best 22 back (based on whose available). It's clear our frantic run and hectic, team defence is what the cornerstone of our game plan is. This team seems to have smart defenders who read the ball (Zaine and Webb are good in this area), added forward half intensity (HC) and our senior players in Boyd and Picken back.

I'm actually going to back is to win by 5+ goals.

Mantis
28-08-2015, 09:09 AM
I'm fairly confident we've got the cattle to win this week, despite looking thin in the ruck and down back with key position players.

Hopefully we see Roberts back next week, and then Boyd (who could still be a late in this week) and then we just about have our best 22 back (based on whose available). It's clear our frantic run and hectic, team defence is what the cornerstone of our game plan is. This team seems to have smart defenders who read the ball (Zaine and Webb are good in this area), added forward half intensity (HC) and our senior players in Boyd and Picken back.

I'm actually going to back is to win by 5+ goals.

Glad your confident.. I'm certainly not, but that's nothing unusual this year.

I would have thought that this week would be a good dress rehearsal for our team against a similiarly ranked team, but obviously these views aren't shared by the MC. In preparation for the finals if both T.Boyd & Roberts are 'in the mix' (which I think they are) they would benefit from having played in a high intensity game of footy, which won't happen playing the bottom team next week.

Hopefully there is a late change.

always right
28-08-2015, 09:14 AM
Will not be surprised if Grant is a late out and Boyd comes in.....as our first ruckman.

Thought it was interesting in Bevo's aftermatch comference when asked about prospective ruckmen who could be brought in, the only name he mentioned was Tom Boyd.

Not saying I necessarily agree with such a change....just putting it out there.

bornadog
28-08-2015, 09:43 AM

I would have thought that this week would be a good dress rehearsal for our team against a similarly ranked team, but obviously these views aren't shared by the MC. In preparation for the finals if both T.Boyd & Roberts are 'in the mix' (which I think they are) they would benefit from having played in a high intensity game of footy, which won't happen playing the bottom team next week.

Maybe Bevo thinks it is better to go into the game with in form players than half fit players like Roberts. Minson is obviously not doing what the coach wants him to do, Ayce not up to it and Boyd is not a number one ruckman.

Throwing Zaine into the backline is a bold move and I look forward to seeing him play.

LostDoggy
28-08-2015, 10:24 AM
If we can break even in the clearances, I think we can win can run them off their legs. Our forwards can create havoc against their slow backline.

Aside from Goldstein, the main man to nullify is the most underrated player in the comp, Cunnington - hope Picken stands him for good portions of the match.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-08-2015, 11:14 AM

Has he been blowing his trumpet? Beware the injured player.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-08-2015, 12:54 PM

I would have thought that this week would be a good dress rehearsal for our team against a similiarly ranked team, but obviously these views aren't shared by the MC. In preparation for the finals if both T.Boyd & Roberts are 'in the mix' (which I think they are) they would benefit from having played in a high intensity game of footy, which won't happen playing the bottom team next week.

I don't like going into this game with Hamling and ZCordy our KPDs either. Both are 'third talls' - if it's a break even in the midfield, we'll lose by 5 goals.

Boyd or Roberts should be playing.

Ozza
28-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Really perplexed with selection - and not for the first time this year.

To me, picking this sort of a side, with potentially no ruckman in it if Redpath plays ruck - and no key forward if that happens also - we are just no closer to understanding what our best 22 is for the finals.

I know that Bevo and the MC know best - and I'm probably worrying for nothing, but I'm just afraid that they are botching up this last 3 weeks of the season and potentially the finals as a result. The chopping and changing with debutants is fine in the middle of the year - but I don't agree with it at the pointy end of the year when we need to get the team settled.

I'm not really interested in the finals being viewed as a 'good experience'. We are in it to win it. I wouldn't mind seeing a team put together with the key planks in place rather than sending out another undersized team to get rag-dolled by another side headed for the finals.

Happy Days
28-08-2015, 01:23 PM
My thinking on the no ruckman against the best ruckman situation is that Beveridge has decided that Campbell is his guy, and bringing anyone else in would just be a stop gap; why not just use the guys he intends to play? It's still stupid but at least it's rational.

I can also sort of rationalise Cordy over Roberts. Brown, Petrie and Waite, for all of their big-ness, aren't the best forward pressurizers going. Petrie is probably the best, but he's still not great, and we all know how good ol' Point n' Yell is at it. Maybe by sacrificing height and bowing down to the Team Defense Revolution, Bevo is looking to make an even bigger trampoline out of North's forward half. I heard it mentioned by David King (who we all apparently like again) that North's improvement has largely stemmed from them increasing the number of stoppages in their forward half. By going more mobile (at least theoretically), maybe we're looking to cut this out.

Of course, I don't think any of this will actually work, I can just understand why.

At least they dropped Pearce.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-08-2015, 01:25 PM
We'll run them off their legs and do some heavy scoring at times in the game. Hopefully this means we outscore them, that's the $20,000 question. I think we will outscore them comfortably. Hope they don't go the biff but I bet they will be very physical.

The Pie Man
28-08-2015, 02:00 PM
That's a weird team - even if T Boyd comes in as a late change as some may hope, it's still a weird team...as he'd likely play 1st ruck, and I'm a bit over seeing Rough play defence when he's clearly more keen on playing 1st ruck.

I guess if our mids win enough of it, you can back our F50 to kick a winning score, but Goldstein is a huge concern on that front.

Will be intriguing - and potentially very frustrating!

jeemak
28-08-2015, 02:45 PM
That's a weird team - even if T Boyd comes in as a late change as some may hope, it's still a weird team...as he'd likely play 1st ruck, and I'm a bit over seeing Rough play defence when he's clearly more keen on playing 1st ruck.

I guess if our mids win enough of it, you can back our F50 to kick a winning score, but Goldstein is a huge concern on that front.

Will be intriguing - and potentially very frustrating!

What gives that impression? Just curious, has he openly stated that?

boydogs
28-08-2015, 03:03 PM

With the talls?

Maybe Bevo doesn't rate height for the sake of height and thinks this is our best 22

bornadog
28-08-2015, 03:30 PM
What gives that impression? Just curious, has he openly stated that?

Yes he has, several times refers playing ruck. But, also said happy to play wherever the coach wants him to play.

jeemak
28-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Yes he has, several times refers playing ruck. But, also said happy to play wherever the coach wants him to play.

Cool, I didn't know that.

I'm glad he'll play where he's told to play though.

Greystache
28-08-2015, 03:38 PM
With the talls?

Maybe Bevo doesn't rate height for the sake of height and thinks this is our best 22

It's hard to see how he could consider this our best 22 when there's a player making their debut this weekend. This seems all experimental still.

The Pie Man
28-08-2015, 03:46 PM
Cool, I didn't know that.

I'm glad he'll play where he's told to play though.

AFL 360 about a month ago he stated it was his preferred position - following a light grilling on the matter from Slobbo.

And yes, he did qualify that with the standard 'wherever I'm needed' type of response, just that when a player strays ever so slightly from that 'wherever I'm needed' rhetoric, I believe the message is clear.

Having said all that, he's almost the obvious matchup for Petrie from that 22.

1eyedog
28-08-2015, 03:47 PM
Not sure about that. We could probably sit out the next 2 games and still make the 8 and play in Melbourne week 1

Or we could win this rely on one or two going our way a finsih top 4 thereby giving us two cracks at it.

1eyedog
28-08-2015, 04:00 PM
Really perplexed with selection - and not for the first time this year.

To me, picking this sort of a side, with potentially no ruckman in it if Redpath plays ruck - and no key forward if that happens also - we are just no closer to understanding what our best 22 is for the finals.

I know that Bevo and the MC know best - and I'm probably worrying for nothing, but I'm just afraid that they are botching up this last 3 weeks of the season and potentially the finals as a result. The chopping and changing with debutants is fine in the middle of the year - but I don't agree with it at the pointy end of the year when we need to get the team settled.

I'm not really interested in the finals being viewed as a 'good experience'. We are in it to win it. I wouldn't mind seeing a team put together with the key planks in place rather than sending out another undersized team to get rag-dolled by another side headed for the finals.

Agreed there needs to be some real bedding down to the side at this time of year. It would have been preferable if this was done a week or two ago. Sure we're bringing in a fair bit of experience this week but like others I'm concerned with T. Boyd and Roberts not being in the starting line up. Roberts has done a full preseason and has played the majority of the season. He's also played a few games in the VFL and I would be certain he's much better than half fit.

I just don't think we are a club that has the luxury of playing debutants so close to the end of the season, I'm not having a go at the club, but it also has a responsibility to its members who would dearly love to see us play our very best team in order to give us the best chance of finishing as high on the ladder as possible with a view to taking the double chance. I realise we are in for the long haul as always but our supporters are long suffering and have signed up this year in record numbers so deserve to see the very best players in the team. I'm not questioning the MC and the decisions they make on particular players but as a paid up member for life I'd like to ask the club why none of Hrovat, Tom Boyd and Roberts are not in the team but the likes of Honeychurch and Cordy come in and Redpath stays in?

Is it structural and player vs player between the two teams rather than selecting our 'best' players?

bornadog
28-08-2015, 04:01 PM
Bevo press conference

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-08-28/dogs-need-to-get-job-done

F'scary
28-08-2015, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure the named line-up is how it is going to be. I say Dale Morris to fullback, Roughead 1st ruck changing at FF with 'Chopper Redpath. JJ to back pocket. Zaine Cordy to start on the bench.

GVGjr
28-08-2015, 08:24 PM

Me either. Actually I tend to think our selections for the 2nd half of the season have been largely based on list assessment more than picking form players but the logic behind some of our selections are hard to work out.

LostDoggy
28-08-2015, 09:07 PM
I have been confused by the team selections as well, but I listened to the Bev presser today and realised that, if you actually take his consistent comments at absolute face value, the selections make perfect sense.

He is building a culture where everybody is a cog in the wheel and everybody plays their specific role for the team. The system is more important than the individual.

If somebody is not meeting their required role or is not fully fit, they are out, to work on their deficiencies or to regain fitness, and the next in line for that role comes in - the next in line is heavily based on current form rather than status.

Bevo is not much fussed on opposition line-ups or match ups, it's all about our optimal 22 given current form and preparation.

So this week we had 6 players deemed to no longer be in our current best 22:

- Campbell, so next best Ruckman is deemed to be Roughead.
- Talia, so next best Tall Defender is deemed to be Z.Cordy (presumably Roberts considered not quite match ready).
- Daniel, so next best small forward/mid Honeychurch.
-Rourke, mid half back needs to make way for MBoyd.
- Jong, inside solid mid needs to make way for Picken.
- Pearce, spare forward/mid by Webb.

All of these moves individually make sense and are entirely consistent with Bevo's often stated mantra (the old Clarkson one soldier in/one soldier out).

Maybe so many of us (including me) get befuddled by selections because we think too much about individual match ups etc, rather than a simple one man in, one man out.

Rocco Jones
28-08-2015, 09:58 PM
Not saying I totally agree with the selections but I think I can see what they are trying to do.

North's forward line is very old school. 3 talls, 3 smalls. Mark, contest, kick a goal from crumbs but not much forward pressure. We have a few medium tall defenders and lots of small defenders. I think we are planning to go with the team defense thing, whatever fanc word Gerrard Healy wants to give it. Have M Boyd, Wood and Morris/Z Cordy expose smaller guys in air/rebound.

Ghost Dog
29-08-2015, 04:05 AM
Yes but nobody who can come close to containing Petrie.

Webby
29-08-2015, 08:10 AM
Has anyone considered the possibility of Petrie, Waite and Brown being exploited by our rebound out of defence?

I know we're just simple fans, but there's a lot more to the game than simply matching up man for man and like for like. We lead the league in scores out of half back rebounding. I know we lost last week (a bit of an aberration IMO) but we're a dangerous young side and I'm looking forward to stinging a side which is very good at running forward of the footy, but not at getting behind it.

Remember, North have beaten NOBODY apart from Freo - a team who aren't moving the ball all that quickly of late - and will be very vulnerable against a hard running, hard tackling, quick and dynamic side.

1eyedog
29-08-2015, 08:20 AM
Absolutely Webby. I've been vocal about Fletch not being in the side and part of me is still concerned about our lack of height down there. We played the Pies very light in in the back half and did well but unlike the Pies Petrie, Brown and Waite can actually clunk them more often than not and this is my concern. You're right though if it doesn't work out for them and it hits the deck it will be up our end very quickly. Losing Thomas certaiy helps us out down there as well.

As others have said it's a midfield battle. If it gets in there regularly enough and fast enough to isolate us their forwards are good enough to score most times as are ours. Looking forward to it.

Webby
29-08-2015, 08:42 AM
Yes but nobody who can come close to containing Petrie.

Put it this way, if we had Redpath, Boyd and Campbell in our forward line, would you feel that we were a tad top-heavy?
Would you be feeling slightly vulnerable to exploitation?

Particularly against a backline with three All-Australian candidates like Wood, Murphy and Boyd?

The glass is half full here, gentlemen!

1eyedog
29-08-2015, 10:02 AM
Put it this way, if we had Redpath, Boyd and Campbell in our forward line, would you feel that we were a tad top-heavy?

Particularly against a backline with three All-Australian candidates like Wood, Murphy and Boyd?

I still have nightmares of Petrie's 6 or 7 in one quarter in 07. Just can't shake it. I hate the feeling of the ball going in long and having Brown, Waite and Petrie under it even though the former two players are considered high forward lead up players.

Mantis
29-08-2015, 10:03 AM

Perhaps, but North have played with 3 talls up forward all season, and it's served them well.

We have one plan today, and one plan only.. Run, run, run! If that doesn't work out for us we are in going to struggle.. A fall-back plan would be nice.

1eyedog
29-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Perhaps, but North have played with 3 talls up forward all season, and it's served them well.

We have one plan today, and one plan only.. Run, run, run! If that doesn't work out for us we are in going to struggle.. A fall-back plan would be nice.

Isolating Jake on Firrito would be nice.

Mantis
29-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Isolating Jake on Firrito would be nice.

Jake kicked 5 last week and we still get smoked.. Is our fall back plan that he kicks 10?

1eyedog
29-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Jake kicked 5 last week and we still get smoked.. Is our fall back plan that he kicks 10?

8 would do it.

In all seriousness if they close our run down we really need to be facing forward and adapt to the tempo of the game and purely focus on pressure on the ball carrier. We may need to be more patient and take control of the ball more than we have in recent weeks. This is still something we need to get better at, and know when to do it!

If we can create enough contests and turn overs we will get the inside 50 entries we need. I think the North Melbourne coaching staff will be very, very nervous as soon as the ball goes in personally. We have a glut of scoring options through highly versatile forwards who can score from pack marks, on the lead and through ground ball chaos entries.

Sedat
29-08-2015, 11:44 AM
Not saying I totally agree with the selections but I think I can see what they are trying to do.

North's forward line is very old school. 3 talls, 3 smalls. Mark, contest, kick a goal from crumbs but not much forward pressure. We have a few medium tall defenders and lots of small defenders. I think we are planning to go with the team defense thing, whatever fanc word Gerrard Healy wants to give it. Have M Boyd, Wood and Morris/Z Cordy expose smaller guys in air/rebound.
Yep, we clearly won't be going one-on-one down back. But critical to the success of this is to ensure we win the midfield battle and also force pressure on North's mids when they deliver into forward 50.

Just on Zaine's inclusion, perhaps he is flying on the track as he only effectively started up mid-season. It's a very long season so any chance to freshen up with players that have less miles in the legs is not such a bad strategy.

Rocco Jones
29-08-2015, 11:58 AM

I think the fallback plan is Roughy. If we are struggling down back, I think we will go with Redpath as our 1st ruck and have Roughy in down back for the majority of the time. That means two North fall forwards vs Hamling, Morris and Z Cordy.

LostDoggy
29-08-2015, 12:25 PM
I'm not so worried about their forwards. Today will come down to us negating Goldstein and Cunnington.

If they are not nullified, their forwards will be kicking a winning score regardless of match ups.

Ghost Dog
29-08-2015, 12:27 PM

AA they may be at rebounding and intercept marks, that sort of thing, but none of them are equipped to do what Brian Lake used to do for us.
I've been to a lot of North / Bulldogs games over the years ( because after the Bulldogs, actually 'The Hub' North's community arm, are the best in the league at giving new arrivals tickets to experience AFL. Might I add that Geelong are out and out the worst).
I'm not an expert and never played AFL at any level beyond junior so I can't provide much insight. All I know is, Petrie is a lot more mobile than Boyd, Campbell or Redpath. North can get a run on, and in 2014 Cunnington kicked the last four goals of the match by himself. I'm not sure our backline is significantly better equipped to handle that sort of ball coming in. Yes, the glass is half full, but we don't have anyone to handle the gorrillas, as they say.

I'm not so worried about their forwards. Today will come down to us negating Goldstein and Cunnington.

If they are not nullified, their forwards will be kicking a winning score regardless of match ups.

At the sharp end of the season you can't really expect to dominate the midfield all the time. That's why Hawks got Brian Lake, as I understand it. I think we have a chance, and it's fine to have a plan for Goldstien, (as the coach promises), but he is in AA form, and Jordan and Jack are not full time rucks. On paper, that goes to them.

Guess it will be as Mantis says, and we will basically be hoping the game is a basketball / keepings off match in their forward 50.
Watch for Caleb in this game. Have a feeling he is due for a break-out performance.

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Has anyone considered the possibility of Petrie, Waite and Brown being exploited by our rebound out of defence?

I know we're just simple fans, but there's a lot more to the game than simply matching up man for man and like for like. We lead the league in scores out of half back rebounding. I know we lost last week (a bit of an aberration IMO) but we're a dangerous young side and I'm looking forward to stinging a side which is very good at running forward of the footy, but not at getting behind it.

Remember, North have beaten NOBODY apart from Freo - a team who aren't moving the ball all that quickly of late - and will be very vulnerable against a hard running, hard tackling, quick and dynamic side.

We like North hadn't beat much in the 7 weeks prior to the WCE. I would think that Richmond North and WB are in a similar class. A lot will depend on how we have recovered from the trip to the West.

LostDoggy
29-08-2015, 12:38 PM
I've been to a lot of North / Bulldogs games over the years ( because after the Bulldogs, actually 'The Hub' North's community arm, are the best in the league at giving new arrivals tickets to experience AFL. Might I add that Geelong are out and out the worst).
I'm not an expert and never played AFL at any level beyond junior so I can't provide much insight. All I know is, Petrie is a lot more mobile than Boyd, Campbell or Redpath. North can get a run on, and in 2014 Cunnington kicked the last four goals of the match by himself. I'm not sure our backline is significantly better equipped to handle that sort of ball coming in. Yes, the glass is half full, but we don't have anyone to handle the gorrillas, as they say.

At the sharp end of the season you can't really expect to dominate the midfield all the time. That's why Hawks got Brian Lake, as I understand it. I love this team, I think we have a chance, it's fine to have a plan for Goldstien, as the coach says, but he is in AA form, and Jordan and Jack are not full time rucks. On paper, that goes to them.

I agree. By nullify/negate I mean break even, or stopping NM from dominance in this area. Our defence has repeatedly been undersized this year, but has stood up when we have stopped the ball from coming in too quickly. As long as Goldstein/Cunnington don't carve us at the clearances, I reckon our defence will do the job as a unit.

Hotdog60
29-08-2015, 02:51 PM
I think that Wood is going to be a very important player for us today.

boydogs
29-08-2015, 03:49 PM
I think that Wood is going to be a very important player for us today.

I think he's one of the most important every week and has been off his game a little recently. Seems to be getting caught under the ball a bit

LostDoggy
29-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Wow. We've named Zaine Sub - super short backline.