PDA

View Full Version : Does Rugby League have a Father Son system

Twodogs
22-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Does the ARL have a F/S system? They have a draft don't they, is it less complicated than the AFL draft?

Remi Moses
22-08-2015, 11:06 PM
Doesn't two . Mitchell Pierce would be playing for the Tigers if they did, and Hopoate's kid plays for the Eels.

Webby
22-08-2015, 11:20 PM
Even those who do start out at their dads' clubs end up club hopping elsewhere. Even the famous Mortimer family's kid left the Bulldogs for Parramatta, from memory. Both of Steve Morris's twins - Brett and Josh Morris left St George for the Bulldogs, Hopoate's kid left Manly to go on a two year Mormon mission prior to hopping to Parramatta. Parramatta legend, Eric Grothe's kid (Eric junior) left Parramatta for the Tigers, I think. Cronulla's biggest legend, Steve Rodgers' kid - Matt, left Cronulla for Gold Coast.

They tend to wind up starting at their dad's old club as they do have zoning, and often players settled in the district in which they played. Therefore sons of former players tend to be residentially zoned to their dad's club's junior district. However, funnily enough, those kids seem more prone to club hopping. It's almost as if their dads have advised them to "just chase the money, son!" I reckon a lot of old players have a bit of bitterness towards their old clubs up there.

Glad we don't have that down here - particularly at our club! I like the loyalty and I like father-son.

LostDoggy
22-08-2015, 11:22 PM
Worst club hoppers were the Jack boys :)

westdog54
23-08-2015, 02:40 AM
Does the ARL have a F/S system? They have a draft don't they, is it less complicated than the AFL draft?

No draft in the NFL. Players took it to court as a restraint of trade when it was proposed.

Webby
23-08-2015, 07:48 AM
No draft in the NFL. Players took it to court as a restraint of trade when it was proposed.

I'd be interested to know if it was the sons of former Cleveland Browns or Buffalo Bills players who took it to court!

westdog54
23-08-2015, 10:30 AM
I'd be interested to know if it was the sons of former Cleveland Browns or Buffalo Bills players who took it to court!

Typo. NRL.

Pretty sure it was Trent Barrett FWIW

LostDoggy
23-08-2015, 12:56 PM
I'd forgotten all that.

So a Court found that it's a restraint of trade within the NRL, yet everyone seems cool with it in the AFL?

Just odd that 2 ostensibly similar competitions can be so massively culturally different.

Twodogs
23-08-2015, 02:55 PM
I'd forgotten all that.

So a Court found that it's a restraint of trade within the NRL, yet everyone seems cool with it in the AFL?

Just odd that 2 ostensibly similar competitions can be so massively culturally different.

Because of the Leagues clubs there Rugby league have long been paid more (on average) than AFL players. Because of the money the gentlemans agreement about no one challenging the restraint of trade laws.

Dry Rot
25-08-2015, 01:06 AM
Typo. NRL.

Pretty sure it was Trent Barrett FWIW

No, it was Terry Hill.