PDA

View Full Version : Michael Talia

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
30-09-2015, 10:28 PM
And don't forget he couldn't wait to get the Liberatore story out. I'll be spitting on the ground every time his name is mentioned henceforth.

Doc26
30-09-2015, 10:45 PM
Wow Barrett is a reporter not a judge what a pissant, bet he doesn't get anymore info from the dogs camp anymore , just burnt his bridges at one club, maybe more that's a pretty low blow.

Unfortunately there will always be elements at a Club who feel agitated over something and happy to provide bottom feeders with the scoop they're looking for. I would like to believe that all (with some influence) at our Club are satisfied with our handling of the Talia situation but this is categorically not the case as you might expect if they're close to the Stephens or Talia's or who have other Axes to grind.

My hope now is that the AFL's Integrity Unit do vindicate the issue that we have tabled with them.

ledge
30-09-2015, 11:24 PM
Unfortunately there will always be elements at a Club who feel agitated over something and happy to provide bottom feeders with the scoop they're looking for. I would like to believe that all (with some influence) at our Club are satisfied with our handling of the Talia situation but this is categorically not the case as you might expect if they're close to the Stephens or Talia's or who have other Axes to grind.

My hope now is that the AFL's Integrity Unit do vindicate the issue that we have tabled with them.

I don't have an issue with the Talia stuff it's more he bought up Clay Smith, Barrett wants to talk integrity, since when did reporters have integrity, they start the stories then continue to blow them out of proportion to get people to read the rubbish.
They don't care if they are right or wrong, they use the word alleged to cover their arse.

bornadog
30-09-2015, 11:54 PM
Tipping it was over this

http://puu.sh/ktqfF/233386ef77.png

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-25/sliding-doors-finals-week-three

Did you see he also published in a similar vain to the above that Peter Gordon would not be spending $7 million on Boyd if he had his time again.

The guy is a complete fool.

I remember last year when we were chasing Boyd and on trade radio he just couldn't believe we pulled it off.

Greystache
01-10-2015, 12:06 AM

I don't hold out much hope. The AFL has never found anything it didn't want to find, and with betting partners being major contributors financially, they won't want to find anything here.

It's sad if people are agitated at the club because of their ties with the Talia's. If they really wanted to help Michael they'd be giving him better advise than he's been getting from some of the fools that've been advising him to this point of his life.

hujsh
01-10-2015, 12:11 AM
Confirmed by that bin scrummaging pimply faced twat.
Beveridge would eat Barrett.
Getting an image of his pythons wrapped around barrets neck

A funnier image is Barret trying to get his arms around Beveridge's neck. I imagine Bevo would just forget about it after a while and go about his day as normal with Barrett flopping around behind him trying to get through that thick neck.

Twodogs
01-10-2015, 12:18 AM
A funnier image is Barret trying to get his arms around Beveridge's neck. I imagine Bevo would just forget about it after a while and go about his day as normal with Barrett flopping around behind him trying to get through that thick neck.

More like the unconscious form of Barrett trapped in the back of his dinner jacket like a piece of toilet paper stuck to his shoe.

bornadog
01-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Surprise surprise

Adelaide are leading the race for Western Bulldogs defender Michael Talia.Sydney was linked to the defender earlier in the year, Fox Footy understands they do not have a strong interest in his services.
- Fox Footy

Ghost Dog
01-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Surprise surprise

Naff off Fox. It's not a race when there is only one participant.

Twodogs
01-10-2015, 03:47 PM
We should make the Adelaide trading delegation crawl into the room on their knees otherwise we will just put Talia in the draft. *!*!*!*! 'em. The cheeky bastards trying to profit twice from the situation.

Ghost Dog
01-10-2015, 04:01 PM
We should make the Adelaide trading delegation crawl into the room on their knees otherwise we will just put Talia in the draft. *!*!*!*! 'em. The cheeky bastards trying to profit twice from the situation.

Wonder if there anything in the playing contract that allows us to sue players who give out information. Frustrated that we get nothing out of this whole fiasco.

G-Mo77
01-10-2015, 04:58 PM

I originally thought like this but have simmered a little since. Sometimes it's better taking the higher road. If we take the nuclear approach it pisses of the player, player manager and the other club as well as some bad press so it probably paints the club in a bad light.

If they offer fair value we take it and move on.

Twodogs
01-10-2015, 05:11 PM
I originally thought like this but have simmered a little since. Sometimes it's better taking the higher road. If we take the nuclear approach it pisses of the player, player manager and the other club as well as some bad press so it probably paints the club in a bad light.

If they offer fair value we take it and move on.

True. It's probably best to keep on with that particular manager too. I guess we have made our point by reporting the matter and it's time to move on.

F'scary
01-10-2015, 09:53 PM
Any ideas on what Adelaide might provide by way of consideration for "I Talia all our plans?"

Throughandthrough
01-10-2015, 11:24 PM
Any ideas on what Adelaide might provide by way of consideration for "I Talia all our plans?"

What about a swap for Cam Ellis Yoeman? My spidey senses tell me he's keen to try his luck at another club

LostDoggy
01-10-2015, 11:55 PM
What about a swap for Cam Ellis Yoeman? My spidey senses tell me he's keen to try his luck at another club

Big fan. Big bodied midfielder, can play inside or out. Strong defensive side. Good addition to any list.

bornadog
02-10-2015, 12:04 AM

Also he hasn't been offered a new contract

macca
02-10-2015, 02:27 AM
Any reason why he has not been offered? Just interested to know and if he is surplus to the crows?

Go_Dogs
02-10-2015, 09:10 AM

Really rated his start to the year. He's somewhat similar to Jong with great athletic ability but is sometimes found wanting for skills and game sense, albeit is a young player with plenty of scope to improve. I think he'd be a great addition to our side so if we are able to orchestrate a deal like that, I'd be pretty happy.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2015, 09:13 AM
Naff off Fox. It's not a race when there is only one participant.

Yes it is, because my mummy says I'm a winner. As well as the cutest poster on woof.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2015, 09:14 AM
Just another test to see if the AFL want to keep shirking responsibility in being the custodian of the game.

F'scary
02-10-2015, 03:37 PM
Big fan. Big bodied midfielder, can play inside or out. Strong defensive side. Good addition to any list.

Sounds like a positive replacement for Fuller's spot on the senior list. But I wish we could land a good KPB.

divvydan
02-10-2015, 04:30 PM
Any reason why he has not been offered? Just interested to know and if he is surplus to the crows?

It could be that they need to hold off contracts to ensure they have enough in the bank to match Dangerfield's offer. Of course, they're going to trade him and what not, but they need to be able to show the AFL that they *could* match the offer.

GVGjr
02-10-2015, 06:49 PM
With the speculation that the Crows are interested in Talia I wonder what deal we could strike with them given their focus will be more of getting the best deal for Dangerfield from Geelong.

The Crows 2nd round pick might be in play.
Currently there are two players names being mentioned as possibly being traded and they are Cam Ellis-Yolmen and Sam Kerridge.
Kerridge might have had some currency a year or two ago but I'm not so sure now. He is a known tagger and once bobbed up with 6 goals in a game. 188cm and 85kg with 23 senior games.
Ellis-Yolmen is 188cm and 89kg and played 11 senior games this year with a few of them strong performances. When back in the SANFL his performances were also strong. I'm not sure why he was dropped but once the Crows got on a roll he couldn't crack it for a game.

Could we get the Crows to part with their 2nd round pick and Ellis-Yolmen for Michael Talia?

azabob
02-10-2015, 06:58 PM
Hasn't Ellis-yolmen been delisted?

Perhaps geelongs 2nd round pick may end up with Adelaide and can be on traded for Talia?

Edit: Ellis-Yolmen is still on the crows list

chef
02-10-2015, 06:59 PM
Not sure he's worth a second round pick, let alone with something else thrown in. I think there's a fair chance he'll get to where ever he wants via the PSD

chef
02-10-2015, 07:03 PM
Kerridge may appeal to us as Dalrymple was a fan when we drafted Smith.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Hasn't Ellis-yolmen been delisted?

Perhaps geelongs 2nd round pick may end up with Adelaide and can be on traded for Talia?

I haven't heard/read the first part. My lunacy ideal is a first round upgrade from 29 to 14, Yolman a cherry of the top if we wanted him. Gives us hopefully a future gun at 11 and a pick that can nab a bigger trade for a mature very good player. They still have 13, 29, 31, Talia and anything they can get rom Geelong. But Talia has taken any real ability to get a good trade through good will.

GVGjr
02-10-2015, 08:38 PM
I haven't heard/read the first part. My lunacy ideal is a first round upgrade from 29 to 14, Yolman a cherry of the top if we wanted him. Gives us hopefully a future gun at 11 and a pick that can nab a bigger trade for a mature very good player. They still have 13, 29, 31, Talia and anything they can get rom Geelong. But Talia has taken any real ability to get a good trade through good will.

I think Talia's market value would be that of a mid to late 2nd rounder so I can't see that our 2nd round pick and Talia being anywhere near close to their first round pick especially when they are losing their best player. They will want early picks.

If the Swans renewed their interest then I suspect it would be a player for player trade as they need draft pick currency this year.

1eyedog
02-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Either 29 or 31 would be a reasonable return for Talia at this stage which is a few spots up on where he initially went. I think we should be happy with that. We are all sounding like Dodoro re. his worth.

The Underdog
03-10-2015, 07:43 AM
Either 29 or 31 would be a reasonable return for Talia at this stage which is a few spots up on where he initially went. I think we should be happy with that. We are all sounding like Dodoro re. his worth.

I'd do pick 31 in a second. There's no way they're giving up a first rounder in any sort of deal to gain Talia.

GVGjr
03-10-2015, 08:01 AM
I'd do pick 31 in a second. There's no way they're giving up a first rounder in any sort of deal to gain Talia.

We won't be drafting a lot of players this year so if we could have 3 picks inside of pick 32 would be a reasonable position us. Losing a key defender with a bit of experience isn't ideal for a list that was probably one key defender light on anyway but we can still enter the draft to cover the gaps. If there is any chance that Adelaide will just offer their 3rd round pick and hold firm on that I wouldn't trade and allow Talia to go into the draft.

Bulldog4life
03-10-2015, 08:44 AM
We won't be drafting a lot of players this year so if we could have 3 picks inside of pick 32 would be a reasonable position us. Losing a key defender with a bit of experience isn't ideal for a list that was probably one key defender light on anyway but we can still enter the draft to cover the gaps. If there is any chance that Adelaide will just offer their 3rd round pick and hold firm on that I wouldn't trade and allow Talia to go into the draft.

Agree GVGjr. It will depend on the AFL investigation too as to what the Club does too I would imagine.

Bulldog4life
03-10-2015, 08:50 AM
Sounds like Bevo and Damian Barrett had a verbal altercation in the toilets at the Brownlow over this issue. Makes me love him so much more even without knowing what the issue is.

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/news/2015/9/damian-barrett-admits-to-having-a-verbal-altercation-with-western-bulldogs-coach-luke-beveridge/

bulldogtragic
03-10-2015, 08:53 AM

Ouch. A 15 pick upgrade to late first round isn't equal to pick 6 and Jeremy Howe for Melksham.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2015, 08:58 AM

Couldn't agree more on the last point. We can't after coming out as strong as we've done and then facilitate a trade that isn't good for us and see an alleged cheat and alleged cheating club get a further benefit. Frankly, we should be having the AFL trade mediators already requested and a very clear position to them and Mark Evans. It's also good for the wider clubs to have a club standing firm on mercenary behaviour.

GVGjr
03-10-2015, 09:06 AM
Couldn't agree more on the last point. We can't after coming out as strong as we've done and then facilitate a trade that isn't good for us and see an alleged cheat and alleged cheating club get a further benefit. Frankly, we should be having the AFL trade mediators already requested and a very clear position to them and Mark Evans. It's also good for the wider clubs to have a club standing firm on mercenary behaviour.

If we were to sack him based on what we believed occurred then it becomes harder for other clubs to draft him.
If the Crows want him as is being speculated then we just need to hold firm on the 2nd round pick as compensation or he has to take his chances in the draft. I'd imagine the Crows would see the sense with that or at least offer us another decent player to consider.

LostDoggy
03-10-2015, 10:28 AM

I suspect more than 1 club will be interested in Talia, which should ensure a reasonable offer. Young KPDs are in very high demand and the high levels of activity around Carlisle and Bennell show us that clubs are forgiving around character issues when prospects who fulfil specific needs are available.

bornadog
03-10-2015, 12:39 PM
There were rumblings last year about Talia and his attitude. Most of us thought it was him, then we thought it was Macca but now we find out it was him and Macca was right all along.

I am really disappointed in this bloke who thinks he should be just gifted games without doing the hard yards or listening to his coaches and instructions.

I just hope the AFL integrity department's findings are in favour of us and therefore justifying the clubs action.

Further, there should be some sort of punishment to all those involved and we should be given some sort of compensation in the form of a decent pick, especially having lost the elimination final by just 7 points.

I can't tell you how angry I am about this whole saga, when the club has shown such progress over the past year and any player not wanting to be with us must have rocks in their head.

Bloody traitor if it was war, he would have been shot.

GVGjr
03-10-2015, 01:34 PM
There were rumblings last year about Talia and his attitude. Most of us thought it was him, then we thought it was Macca but now we find out it was him and Macca was right all along.

I am really disappointed in this bloke who thinks he should be just gifted games without doing the hard yards or listening to his coaches and instructions.

You're right, Macca was ridiculed no end for not playing Talia in 2014 even though Talia's form didn't warrant selection and yet many still wanted him to be gifted games when Macca was in charge because it 'had to be the coaches fault'.
The fact that he seems now to be slighted because he wasn't regarded as a walk up start under Bevo really highlights that many players think they are entitled to a free pass on earning their spot.

This whole saga just reinforces my view that spots in the senior side need to be earned not gifted. I've never been comfortable with the call to play certain players just because they are young.

jeemak
03-10-2015, 03:02 PM
I think it shows that irrespective of how we broadly feel about a coach's ability you need to give credit to them for probably seeing the things we see as obvious just as plainly as we do, and that when they treat certain players certain ways there's got to be a good reason for it beyond personality clashes or whatever, even if those reasons don't seem obvious to us.

The actions towards Talia from two successive coaches, versus what I've seen from him at senior and secondary level is reflective of pretty reasonable treatment in my view.

F'scary
03-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Macca wasn't a great game day coach and had a one gear playing strategy but he wasn't afraid to identify and exterpate internal rot, it cost him his job (but he was probably only a 3 year coach anyway). His legacy was to enact a clean-out that facilitated the new coach's plans.

He would be a good coach for Carton right now.

Bulldog4life
03-10-2015, 04:49 PM
Macca wasn't a great game day coach and had a one gear playing strategy but he wasn't afraid to identify and exterpate internal rot, it cost him his job (but he was probably only a 3 year coach anyway). His legacy was to enact a clean-out that facilitated the new coach's plans.

He would be a good coach for Carton right now.

He is in the last 3 for bummers coaching position

F'scary
03-10-2015, 04:54 PM

His every player behind the ball and play for stoppages style will about halve Esserdon's membership in about 3 years.

Rocket Science
03-10-2015, 08:13 PM

Suggestion they've d1cked him around for the sake of appearing to have adhered to a 'process' with a Worsfold / McKenna double ticket now all but confirmed?

Twodogs
03-10-2015, 08:52 PM
Suggestion they've d1cked him around for the sake of appearing to have adhered to a 'process' with a Worsfold / McKenna double ticket now all but confirmed?

That's what I have heard,

Bandit
03-10-2015, 11:47 PM
Really hard to get a gauge on his trade value. I would have thought a late second rounder prior to all the recent BS but with major character doubts clouding him.... Who knows???? We might have to take unders.

Ghost Dog
04-10-2015, 05:07 AM
You're right, Macca was ridiculed no end for not playing Talia in 2014 even though Talia's form didn't warrant selection and yet many still wanted him to be gifted games when Macca was in charge because it 'had to be the coaches fault'.
The fact that he seems now to be slighted because he wasn't regarded as a walk up start under Bevo really highlights that many players think they are entitled to a free pass on earning their spot.

This whole saga just reinforces my view that spots in the senior side need to be earned not gifted. I've never been comfortable with the call to play certain players just because they are young.

Over the journey, say last few years, which calls do you think have been the wrong ones?
I'm still a little confused as to why Rourke Smith was played.

G-Mo77
04-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Over the journey, say last few years, which calls do you think have been the wrong ones?
I'm still a little confused as to why Rourke Smith was played.

Because he earned it!

ledge
04-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Two reasons I think he earned it, Luke wanted him to see where he had to get to to play AFL and I believe Luke took the opportunity to play him in a game that was interstate and we were resting players so he saw what it was like at the hardest level against a top side interstate.
I in no way think Luke thought we would get where we did and tried players all
Year to see where the list was at in the 2nd and third tier players.
Find the list cloggers etc. .
He has been hugely surprised by the step up we have taken and the list was better than he thought originally.
It was his get to know the list year. Remember he came late didn't know the players and had no say in the draft.
That's how I believe Luke approached the year and just encouraged players to show what they have got.

Dry Rot
04-10-2015, 05:18 PM
We won't be drafting a lot of players this year

Not sure about that.

IIRC Darley, A Cordy and Fuller have been delisted.

Talia one way or another is gone, seems Grant is too.

That's 5 gone. And Bev has said Minson will be with us next year if he wants to (Will may be seeking a new gig) and I've seen rumours that the club is open to trading Hrovat.

So it looks like we will need 5-7 new players on the main list this year. No rookie upgrades this year.

Trading wise, it looks like Carlisle is going elsewhere and there aren't too may ruck options left (Luenberger going elsewhere, Clarke re-signed, ditto Kruezner, Martin a required player).

All that leaves possibly Henderson or some unknown Biggs type trade for us.

So are we going to have draft more players than we want to in a weak draft?

Ghost Dog
04-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Would we be willing to experiment on an American prospect for the ruck, like some clubs?
The other thing is, I would rather someone slightly shorter, but mobile in the ruck who can give us a contest around the ground, and at least break even in the centre. Nic Nat and Sandilands show that you can dominate taps and still not get the midfield clearances. Rather have someone who can run as well.

I know it's cruel in a way, but I hope nothing comes up from the investigation in some ways, if it helps us get a decent trade for Talia.

Remi Moses
04-10-2015, 06:40 PM
I'd highly doubt that .
Would think we need a ruck ready to go, not who'll need 5 years to understand the gane

G-Mo77
04-10-2015, 07:48 PM
Would we be willing to experiment on an American prospect for the ruck, like some clubs?
The other thing is, I would rather someone slightly shorter, but mobile in the ruck who can give us a contest around the ground, and at least break even in the centre. Nic Nat and Sandilands show that you can dominate taps and still not get the midfield clearances. Rather have someone who can run as well.

I know it's cruel in a way, but I hope nothing comes up from the investigation in some ways, if it helps us get a decent trade for Talia.

Waste of time and money IMO.

soupman
04-10-2015, 11:12 PM
I think we should recruit an international rookie as a ruck prospect.

I believe they don't take up a normal rookie spot, at least for the first year, so essentially its a free hit.

Ideally I would like to see our mix of ruckmen being three who are capable of being first ruck, ideally one clear first choice (ie. Martin), one competent backup (ie. Campbell), one developing who could still play if needed (ie. someone like Hannath) and an international rookie.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2015, 11:35 PM
I think we should recruit an international rookie as a ruck prospect.

I believe they don't take up a normal rookie spot, at least for the first year, so essentially its a free hit.

Ideally I would like to see our mix of ruckmen being three who are capable of being first ruck, ideally one clear first choice (ie. Martin), one competent backup (ie. Campbell), one developing who could still play if needed (ie. someone like Hannath) and an international rookie.

Yep, it's just the rookie minimum wage to factor in, for cost. They'd take a lot of coaches time and energy to get them ready, so we'd need to work out if we have enough coaching depth to allow for said amount of resources put into them. Some are spuds, but I guess you've got to try a Jim Stynes to find a Jim Stynes type international tall player (yes Gaelic vs basketball).

Ghost Dog
05-10-2015, 02:38 AM
I'd highly doubt that .
Would think we need a ruck ready to go, not who'll need 5 years to understand the gane

Sports like NFL and Basketball are equally as complex as ours. American College grads are no slouch when it comes to study. If we can find someone who will adapt, has experience at a high level of sport, then I don't see why it can't be done. Pyke seemed to work. Most Rucks do their best work with their hands anyway. If Lin Jong can learn to kick as well as he does now, so can someone else.

Mofra
05-10-2015, 10:24 AM
I agree - which is why for the love of god I hope we're not looking at the out-of-contract Robbie Warnock

Sedat
05-10-2015, 05:02 PM
I agree - which is why for the love of god I hope we're not looking at the out-of-contract Robbie Warnock
The team that has won the last 3 flags has had battlers in the ruck - they also had battlers in the ruck in their 2008 flag. Geelong never had absolute elite tap ruckmen in any of their 3 flags either. There's a lot of talk about the importance of top-shelf ruckmen but not a lot of premiership evidence to support the theory.

Mofra
05-10-2015, 05:14 PM
The team that has won the last 3 flags has had battlers in the ruck - they also had battlers in the ruck in their 2008 flag. Geelong never had absolute elite tap ruckmen in any of their 3 flags either. There's a lot of talk about the importance of top-shelf ruckmen but not a lot of premiership evidence to support the theory.
Brad Ottens?
Traded a player out so Geelong could offer two first round picks for Ottens. Their support forward/ruck (Cam Mooney) was also a trade in.

One thing is clear - you need an effective ruck/forward. Hale was part of the Hale/McIntosh duo that was supremely effective at one point.
McEvoy was a trade in - Shane Savage and a first round pick.
Mumford as a trade in by Sydney too.

If anything, it seems to advocate trading for (even over-paying) for a mature ruckman.

1eyedog
05-10-2015, 05:25 PM
Sydeny identified they needed a quality ruckman in order to push for a Premiership, they traded for Jolly out of Melbourne.

Collingwood did the same and got him out of Sydney.

Critical player in both their premierships.

Ozza
05-10-2015, 05:38 PM
Sydeny identified they needed a quality ruckman in order to push for a Premiership, they traded for Jolly out of Melbourne.

Collingwood did the same and got him out of Sydney.

Critical player in both their premierships.

I was at a sportsmans lunch on Thursday, and Dane Swan was one of the panellists.
He was asked whether he could point to any reason why they hadn't been even more successful and won more than the 1 flag in his time at Collingwood. His response was that (paraphrasing a bit) 'In my 15 years at Collingwood, we probably haven't had the ruck quality apart from in 2010. Jolls was good in 2010 and helped us get that flag, but he was putrid in all the other years he was at the club'.

(I'm not advocating one way or the other on the importance of rucks...but thought it was a relevant anectdote).

1eyedog
05-10-2015, 10:53 PM
Interesting thanks for that. My feeling is that Collingwood should be grateful for that flag and thank goodness that Jolly had such a great year. I'll take one great year and a flag over three putrid years.

Sedat
05-10-2015, 11:59 PM
Brad Ottens?
Traded a player out so Geelong could offer two first round picks for Ottens. Their support forward/ruck (Cam Mooney) was also a trade in.

One thing is clear - you need an effective ruck/forward. Hale was part of the Hale/McIntosh duo that was supremely effective at one point.
McEvoy was a trade in - Shane Savage and a first round pick.
Mumford as a trade in by Sydney too.

If anything, it seems to advocate trading for (even over-paying) for a mature ruckman.
Agree 100% on this. Was commenting more that the pure tap ruckmen (eg: Sandi, NicNat) are so heavily relied on by their teams and are more easily neutralized in finals by the work horse types who can also get dangerous elsewhere.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2015, 12:08 AM
Agree 100% on this. Was commenting more that the pure tap ruckmen (eg: Sandi, NicNat) are so heavily relied on by their teams and are more easily neutralized in finals by the work horse types who can also get dangerous elsewhere.

Bad. Bad. Leeroy Brown. :)

bornadog
06-10-2015, 11:36 AM
TRADE NEWS:

According to Bulldogs List Manager Jason McCartney on trade radio today.
Defender Michael Talia is highly unlikely to be at the Western Bulldogs in 2016.
The investigation is still going and the club is in talks with Talia throughout this investigation.

Doggy
09-10-2015, 08:16 PM
Take it with a grain of salt, I was talking to a guy from Greenvale footy club this afternoon who knows Michael and his family pretty well. He says Essendon are all over him

boydogs
09-10-2015, 09:01 PM
Take it with a grain of salt, I was talking to a guy from Greenvale footy club this afternoon who knows Michael and his family pretty well. He says Essendon are all over him

Here we go, Talia & JJ for a 3rd rounder

FrediKanoute
09-10-2015, 10:26 PM
Essendon are welcome to him. I trust the club. I believe that they would not have gone to the AFL Ethics Committee (or whatever it is) without good reason. There may be nothing that can be proved, but there was one heck of a stink.

1eyedog
09-10-2015, 10:30 PM
Essendon are welcome to him. I trust the club. I believe that they would not have gone to the AFL Ethics Committee (or whatever it is) without good reason. There may be nothing that can be proved, but there was one heck of a stink.

Is he gonna cop it like no one has before when (if) he fronts up against us.

azabob
09-10-2015, 10:40 PM

You are right, our VFL supporters are an unforgiving bunch...

The Underdog
09-10-2015, 10:53 PM

Ariel Steinberg is going to have to fight for his spot

G-Mo77
10-10-2015, 09:01 AM

To be honest he wasn't that significant of a player to warrant something like Ryan Cryfin copped.

bornadog
10-10-2015, 10:09 AM
To be honest he wasn't that significant of a player to warrant something like Ryan Cryfin copped.

Griff was not a traitor in the way Talia is. Giving away game strategy is the lowest act ever. All Griff did was walk out.

Throughandthrough
10-10-2015, 10:10 AM

I've been limbering up for a week getting ready to boo him when he's playing for the Crows reserves in the Sanfl next year.

Webby
10-10-2015, 10:17 AM
Griff was not a traitor in the way Talia is. Giving away game strategy is the lowest act ever. All Griff did was walk out.

Bit akin to arguing the toss on who was the better bloke out of Hitler and Stalin, for mine..

azabob
10-10-2015, 11:28 AM

If true, this gives us a bit more power in the negotiation stakes with multi clubs wanting Talia.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Bit akin to arguing the toss on who was the better bloke out of Hitler and Stalin, for mine..

Can't separate them but if I had to attend, I'd rather have dinner with Hitler than Stalin, more likely to survive it. Whereas I wouldn't eat with either Cryan Gryphern or M. Talia even it they were shouting at Attica and were accompanied by Nigella Lawson.

Dancin' Douggy
10-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Gee there's so many interesting machinations to deal with...If the bombers are REALLY in to Talia, Could we somehow leverage our way in to a deal with Saints, Carlisle, Hrovat, Talia, and picks 11 and 5 and............. ????

Henderson is worth chasing, and may be out of the picture for the cats now they're doing a deal with Crows for Dangerfield.

Anderson is a sudden possibility too.

Looking forward to trade week!

F'scary
10-10-2015, 01:37 PM
re Jed Anderson: don't we already have enough good medium midfielders?

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-10-2015, 04:19 PM

I find this issue with Michael Talia a very sad saga.
Tha family has an 80 plus years association with our Club with his grandfather Harvey Stevens and Great grandfather Chidder Stevens both captaining the Bulldogs. I visited Harvey Stevens in hospital on Thursday at Knox Private Hospital where he has been admitted with bowl cancer. He is a Legend of our Club and our thoughts and prayers are with him and their extended family for a speedy recovery.

Bulldog Joe
10-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Tha family has an 80 plus years association with our Club with his grandfather Harvey Stevens and Great grandfather Chidder Stevens both captaining the Bulldogs. I visited Harvey Stevens in hospital on Thursday at Knox Private Hospital where he has been admitted with bowl cancer. He is a Legend of our Club and our thoughts and prayers are with him and their extended family for a speedy recovery.

Very sad.

Obviously things are pretty tough for the family at present.
My best wishes for Harvey and his family.

Dancin' Douggy
10-10-2015, 05:56 PM

Yeah. I can't help thinking that this must be breaking Harvey's heart.
From the delirious happiness of seeing your grandson playing for the team you both love. The team you captained and played in the only premiership with...... to this horrible scenario. The mind really boggles as to what Talia was thinking.

Is he just stupid and naive? I'm hoping that's the case.

bornadog
10-10-2015, 06:10 PM

I hope Harvey is ok and gets better soon, really feel for him and also Michael's parents who love the club. I just hope this whole saga is over soon.

josie
10-10-2015, 10:59 PM
NGP - please let Harvey know there are lots of WOOFers, incl. me, who wish him well and hope he recovers.

I remember having my photo taken with Michael just after he was recruited, at annual social club gathering at Etihad. He looked so excited to join the club he barracked for as a kid. In fact I recall him being quite charming with his broad, beaming smile and he was very accommodating to the fans.

I'm just so sad about this for his families sake, his sake and of course our Club.

I hope the AFL investigation is thorough, the truth is found, and justice is served. And of course I hope we get a good trade for him, so all of us can move on.

Booing him at future games will, to me at least, seem inappropriate because I'm guessing it will upset his family who are Dogs royalty and have been loyal to the club for decades, perhaps even more that it will upset him.

Twodogs
11-10-2015, 12:15 AM
Ditto about booing Michael Talia. Couldn't bring myself to do it. Mainly out of respect for his family.

Dry Rot
11-10-2015, 01:19 AM
Gee there's so many interesting machinations to deal with...If the bombers are REALLY in to Talia, Could we somehow leverage our way in to a deal with Saints, Carlisle, Hrovat, Talia, and picks 11 and 5 and............. ????

I like your thought but how does it work?

Say our pick 11 is fair for Carlisle and Talia is worth a late 2nd rounder/early 3rd rounder.

So say the Bombers lose Carlisle and their pick 23, get pick 11, Talia and say Saint's third rounder -> not too bad.

Say Saints lose pick 5, get pick 11 and Hrovat -> not enough to Saints for the pick upgrade to us

OR

Say Saints lose pick 5, get picks 11, 23 and Hrovat -> probably too much to Saints for the pick upgrade to us

AND

Dogs lose pick 11 and Hrovat, get pick 5 -> dud deal for Saints as above

OR

Dogs lose pick 11, Talia and Hrovat, get pick 5 -> dud deal for Dogs

OR

Dogs lose pick 11, Talia and Hrovat, get picks 5 & 23-> fair deal for Dogs, but I've given pick 23 away above

etc. It's very difficult to make it all work.

Thoughts?

Twodogs
11-10-2015, 04:17 AM

Say our pick 11 is fair for Carlisle and Talia is worth a late 2nd rounder/early 3rd rounder.

So say the Bombers lose Carlisle and their pick 23, get pick 11, Talia and say Saint's third rounder -> not too bad.

Say Saints lose pick 5, get pick 11 and Hrovat -> not enough to Saints for the pick upgrade to us

OR

Say Saints lose pick 5, get picks 11, 23 and Hrovat -> probably too much to Saints for the pick upgrade to us

AND

OR

OR

Dogs lose pick 11, Talia and Hrovat, get picks 5 & 23-> fair deal for Dogs, but I've given pick 23 away above

Thoughts?

What about with future draft picks?

ledge
11-10-2015, 09:14 AM
It seems a lot i am reading here includes Hrovat, why has he been singled out to trade? has the club said they would or is it just you blokes thinking we don't want him and the more we talk about trading him the more we believe it's going to happen because we made it up in our heads ?

azabob
11-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Ledge it's a bit of everything.

1) other clubs such as saints and Melbourne have showed interest.
2) he has struggled for regular game time
3) he would have some currency to gain an extra pick etc.
4) clubs stance is he is contracted for 2016 and is a required player

So I think that's why he features so heavily in discussions.

Dancin' Douggy
12-10-2015, 10:58 AM

OR

AND

OR

OR

Thoughts?

I would accept this scenario.....

We give up Hrovat, 11, 30 and Talia to the Saints for pick 5 and 24.

We get pick 5 and 24 take them to the draft. And hopefully get another absolute A grader on to the list.

Saints on trade Talia and Pick 11 to the Bombers for Carlisle.

We're paying a little overs perhaps, but if we've got a target at pick 5 in the Stringer/Bontempelli class, it's worth it.

Dogs. IN. picks 5 & 24 . OUT. 11, 30, Talia, Hrovat.

Bombers. IN. Talia, pick 11. OUT. Carlisle.

Saints. IN. Hrovat Carlisle 30. OUT. picks 5 & 24.

I think that's pretty fair for all parties.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-10-2015, 12:16 PM
AFL, hurry up and do your investigation so that the Talia trade can happen during trade week!

Murphy'sLore
12-10-2015, 02:03 PM
I am fully expecting the investigation to drag on forever and then come up with a verdict that it wasn't really serious and we should all just carry on as if it never happened. And then I will be extremely annoyed.

KT31
12-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Knowing the AFL, Talia will be found guilty of taking peptides and Bombres players for treason.

Mofra
12-10-2015, 02:22 PM
I would accept this scenario.....

We give up Hrovat, 11, 30 and Talia to the Saints for pick 5 and 24.

We get pick 5 and 24 take them to the draft. And hopefully get another absolute A grader on to the list.

Saints on trade Talia and Pick 11 to the Bombers for Carlisle.

We're paying a little overs perhaps, but if we've got a target at pick 5 in the Stringer/Bontempelli class, it's worth it.

Dogs. IN. picks 5 & 24 . OUT. 11, 30, Talia, Hrovat.

Bombers. IN. Talia, pick 11. OUT. Carlisle.

Saints. IN. Hrovat Carlisle 30. OUT. picks 5 & 24.

I think that's pretty fair for all parties.
Saints getting smashed - if they don't view Carlisle as worth pick 5 in a straight swap, I can hardly see them losing pick 24 and adding Hrovat into the deal.

Ozza
12-10-2015, 02:28 PM
If you're presumably only talking to a handful of players, and possibly officials - how does it take longer than a week to have this wrapped up?

BornInDroopSt'54
12-10-2015, 02:39 PM
If you're presumably only talking to a handful of players, and possibly officials - how does it take longer than a week to have this wrapped up?

Overdeveloped sense of self-importance and other priorities? Fair dinkum, surely they just need to interview the two Talias, Stratton a couple of others briefly and hurry up and say no case to answer because no-one will want to spill the beans, then we can get on with it.

Rocket Science
12-10-2015, 02:39 PM

Suspect it might be 'holiday' mode down at AFL HQ, or for some of the relevant interviewees...

Dry Rot
12-10-2015, 10:50 PM
What about with future draft picks?

Good point.

GVGjr
13-10-2015, 11:18 AM
The Age is reporting

The Bulldogs' Michael Talia to Essendon, probably for nothing.

Seems strange

bornadog
13-10-2015, 11:24 AM
The Age is reporting

Seems strange

How can it be for nothing? He has a contract till end of October, then it would be PSD - which could be nothing. Surely we can broker some sort of deal before then.

GVGjr
13-10-2015, 11:35 AM
How can it be for nothing? He has a contract till end of October, then it would be PSD - which could be nothing. Surely we can broker some sort of deal before then.

I wonder if that works in our favour? Crows and Swans now realise they could be trumped.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2015, 11:36 AM
The Age is reporting

The Bulldogs' Michael Talia to Essendon, probably for nothing. Makes no sense...

Seems strange

If he's guilty, as we guess, then why would we get him to his destination of choice for nothing.

Murphy'sLore
13-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Are we saying, this is how much we really don't want him at the Kennel any more? Just take him out of our sight?

bulldogtragic
13-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Are we saying, this is how much we really don't want him at the Kennel any more? Just take him out of our sight?

No. But kind of. We could just delist him. We haven't.

bornadog
13-10-2015, 12:01 PM
No. But kind of. We could just delist him. We haven't.

Let's assume for a second he is not guilty - would we still want him?

Does he want out anyway because of either reporting the issue to AFL, or he wanted out anyway because he never signed a contract during the year?

hujsh
13-10-2015, 12:28 PM
Sending him to Essendon is the ultimate punishment (aside from their squishy floor) and doing it for nothing is just a slap in the face to him

Mofra
13-10-2015, 12:32 PM
Does he want out anyway because of either reporting the issue to AFL, or he wanted out anyway because he never signed a contract during the year?
Whispers were he was out the door before leaking any information. I think he's gone regardless of outcome

Bulldog Revolution
13-10-2015, 12:32 PM

Im very pragmatic and my answer is probably yes - we have a need for a player of his type

His performance in the B&F suggests he was adapting well early under Bevo before hitting a speed hump

Never say never in this life but obviously a bit of water to go under the bridge

(BAD Did I use enough cliches?)

KT31
13-10-2015, 12:44 PM
The Age is reporting

Seems strange

Allegedly he would suit their 'lack of morals' policy.

Ozza
13-10-2015, 01:03 PM

I think the investigation is irrelevant to our football club. We have decided that Talia has done the wrong thing. The club are filthy on him - so I think we've made our bed, in that he can just go for no compensation if it comes to that.

bornadog
13-10-2015, 04:15 PM
Bulldogs defender Michael Talia has attracted the interest of Sydney and reportedly wants to join brother Daniel at Adelaide.
Essendon have also enquired about the defender.
- SEN

GVGjr
13-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Bulldogs defender Michael Talia has attracted the interest of Sydney and reportedly wants to join brother Daniel at Adelaide.
Essendon have also enquired about the defender.
- SEN
Adelaide currently has two 2nd round picks 28 and 32. I think 32 is around the mark so I think they appear to be a chance to get him.
Sydney don't have the currency yet and seem to have a preference for Sinclair from WC. It might be hard to find a decent deal with them but their 2nd round pick is 33 which is once again a decent spot.

It's very unlikely Essendon would part with pick 23 unless we also offered our pick 30. I could see them offering pick 41 in the 3rd round which would be unders.

LostDoggy
13-10-2015, 05:01 PM
You could make all kinds of arguments as to why Griff walked out, on both sides of the debate.

There is no debate about why you'd leak game strategies before a final (if proved).

Yes, he's a Legend. No, respect isn't hereditary. Michael Talia has to earn his own stripes, and seems to have failed. If true, in absolutely no way is this reflective of his family whatsoever (besides Daniel's part in it, of course).

Ditto about booing Michael Talia. Couldn't bring myself to do it. Mainly out of respect for his family.

I won't boo him. But whichever of our players puts him into the turf first will have a lovestruck stalker for life. :D

I'd dearly love for Adelaide to offer us pick 28, only to see us send him to Essendon for a swap of our last round picks. Just to stick it right up 'em.

jeemak
13-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Adelaide currently has two 2nd round picks 28 and 32. I think 32 is around the mark so I think they appear to be a chance to get him.
Sydney don't have the currency yet and seem to have a preference for Sinclair from WC. It might be hard to find a decent deal with them but their 2nd round pick is 33 which is once again a decent spot.

It's very unlikely Essendon would part with pick 23 unless we also offered our pick 30. I could see them offering pick 41 in the 3rd round which would be unders.

They'd be asking for Talia and a player in exchange for pick 41 to start out with, no doubt.

Remi Moses
13-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Good god not Dodoro !
I'm still having anger management issues over the Crameri deal.
Let me guess , our first rounder and the Bont just for taking Talia of our hands.

G-Mo77
13-10-2015, 08:48 PM
Good god not Dodoro !
I'm still having anger management issues over the Crameri deal.
Let me guess , our first rounder and the Bont just for taking Talia of our hands.

Get out of it Remi. They'd ask for a mediator if we offered that.

Templeton31
13-10-2015, 10:05 PM
I think realistically we are going to get bugger all for Talia.

We've essentially sacked him already so he's not coming back and presumably will be delisted if not traded. Consequently we have zero bargaining power and at best will get a late draft pick or maybe a draft pick swap like we did for Biggs last year i.e. we swap pick 40 and Tallia for Pick 38 (yes I know we don't have Pick 40 - just an example).

That's one drawback of our dummy spit and AFL investigation - we can't even pretend we want to hang on to him for sake of negotiation. If you think we'll get a 2nd round draft pick for him you're dreaming.

jeemak
13-10-2015, 10:30 PM

We've essentially sacked him already so he's not coming back and presumably will be delisted if not traded. Consequently we have zero bargaining power and at best will get a late draft pick or maybe a draft pick swap like we did for Biggs last year i.e. we swap pick 40 and Tallia for Pick 38 (yes I know we don't have Pick 40 - just an example).

That's one drawback of our dummy spit and AFL investigation - we can't even pretend we want to hang on to him for sake of negotiation. If you think we'll get a 2nd round draft pick for him you're dreaming.

When people do the wrong thing by the estimation of the organisation you need to take action that is decisive and in line with our values.

The fact that all clubs are holding off and are unlikely to deal with us is evidence that we have acted decisively and that we have values, though even better have values that are evident to the other clubs which are not at this point derived from hubristic behaviours and a track record of dicking ourselves.

The fact Talia is going for nothing and the rest of the competition knows it is a good think in our history. Finally we're not taking shit.

jeemak
13-10-2015, 10:30 PM

When people do the wrong thing by the estimation of our organisation we need to take action that is decisive and in line with our values.

The fact that all clubs are holding off and are unlikely to deal with us is evidence that we have acted decisively and that we have values, though even better have values that are evident to the other clubs which are not at this point derived from hubristic behaviours and a track record of dicking ourselves.

The fact Talia is going for nothing and the rest of the competition knows it is a good thing for our history. Finally we're not taking rubbish any more.

boydogs
13-10-2015, 11:41 PM
If you think we'll get a 2nd round draft pick for him you're dreaming.

We've got 3 clubs interested in him now. Everyone knows he is going but the 3 of them might push the price up a bit competing for him

soupman
14-10-2015, 12:41 AM
We've got 3 clubs interested in him now. Everyone knows he is going but the 3 of them might push the price up a bit competing for him

Is this actually a thing though? Can anyone think of an example where there has actually been a bidding war to secure a player?

Usually the player nominates a club and that club pays the ball park imaginary price. Clubs picks are to far apart for a players value to rocket from pick 32 say to pick 14. No matter how many clubs are interested the real bidding war is to become the players preference, because then the trading clubs hands are tied.

Remi Moses
14-10-2015, 01:19 AM
Get out of it Remi. They'd ask for a mediator if we offered that.

Honestly the mediator should just plant himself/herself outside wherever there base is!!
I know it's not windy hill, because the bowling club booted them;)

ledge
14-10-2015, 07:19 AM
They need a mediator to calm down Littles ego.
Be hard as a mediator telling Little your ego is to big and that trade is just ridiculous, especially if Little is paying him .
I find it quite amusing a guy with such a huge ego is named Little, small mans syndrome at its best.

Twodogs
14-10-2015, 09:09 AM
They need a mediator to calm down Littles ego.
Be hard as a mediator telling Little your ego is to big and that trade is just ridiculous, especially if Little is paying him .
I find it quite amusing a guy with such a huge ego is named Little, small mans syndrome at its best.

The only thing that will check Little's ego is Essendon getting a new president.

GVGjr
14-10-2015, 09:22 AM

While I think there is an outside chance of getting a 2nd round pick you're probably correct in saying that it's more likely a pick upgrade. I think we can do a bit better than the Biggs example but it won't be much.

Is this actually a thing though? Can anyone think of an example where there has actually been a bidding war to secure a player?

Usually the player nominates a club and that club pays the ball park imaginary price. Clubs picks are to far apart for a players value to rocket from pick 32 say to pick 14. No matter how many clubs are interested the real bidding war is to become the players preference, because then the trading clubs hands are tied.

Once again this is a voice of reason but in Talia's situation if we don't get something that compensates us then we can just place him in draft. If a club is prepared to do the deal now they get the player earlier and can start working with him straight away rather than waiting for the draft or the pre-season draft.

Templeton31
15-10-2015, 11:35 AM
Harley from Swans said on Trade Radio "if an opportunity arose" for Tallia they'd look at it.

Axe Man
15-10-2015, 11:35 AM
Swans footy manager Tom Harley on Michael Talia: "It looks like he's leaving the Western Bulldogs. A few things would have to fall into line for that to happen (him coming to the Swans). If there was an opportunity, it's something we'd look at."

LostDoggy
15-10-2015, 09:16 PM
Had a nightmare last night.
Talia went to Adelaide, they played him as a forward and he kicked non stop goals when we played them, completely smashing us.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Talia went to Adelaide, they played him as a forward and he kicked non stop goals when we played them, completely smashing us.

Great. Thanks. Way to ruin my night sleep tonight! :( :D

1eyedog
16-10-2015, 12:41 AM

Usually, but this is an unusual situation. He or his manager have not nominated a club so that doesn't apply in this case. The investigation will continue leaving the situation in a state of limbo. Key backs are hard to find and my feeling is the prospect of securing Talia will grow and grow as the days roll on and most of the deals are done.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get offered a second rounder.

Remi Moses
16-10-2015, 03:27 AM
I'd take a second rounder for Talia

Webby
16-10-2015, 04:33 AM
I'd take a second rounder for Talia

Me too, absolutely. Even before all of this leaking controversy surfaced, I'd lost all hope in him as a player. He hasn't got footy smarts, he's slow off the mark, has poor closing speed - even after he's wound up, is a slow AND poor decision maker, his kicking is ordinary at best, he is ill-disciplined, he is poor at following instructions, he loses concentration, has a poor attitude and is gaffe prone...

All that considered & yes, a second round pick any day of the week!!

LostDoggy
16-10-2015, 07:25 AM

I hope against hope that he does play as a forward. Because then he'll be lining up against one Mr. Boyd and one Mr. Picken. We could mike both up for the game and release a hip hop single.

Dancin' Douggy
16-10-2015, 08:54 AM
Me too, absolutely. Even before all of this leaking controversy surfaced, I'd lost all hope in him as a player. He hasn't got footy smarts, he's slow off the mark, has poor closing speed - even after he's wound up, is a slow AND poor decision maker, his kicking is ordinary at best, he is ill-disciplined, he is poor at following instructions, he loses concentration, has a poor attitude and is gaffe prone...

All that considered & yes, a second round pick any day of the week!!

AND.........he's got short arms. I actually mean that. Bad genetic flaw for a defender

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
16-10-2015, 08:57 AM
Like a T Rex

bornadog
16-10-2015, 08:57 AM
Verdict should be out in the next few days.

Dancin' Douggy
16-10-2015, 08:59 AM
Like a T Rex

EEEEEEEXactly

Greystache
16-10-2015, 10:24 AM
Like a T Rex

http://img.memecdn.com/poor-t-rex_o_1603871.jpg

bulldogtragic
16-10-2015, 05:38 PM
Fox Sports News reporting Talia met with Essendon in person today.

bornadog
16-10-2015, 05:40 PM

Pickering on Trade Radio today, said he met them last week.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2015, 05:42 PM
Pickering on Trade Radio today, said he met them last week.

Maybe the deal sealer today?

Twodogs
16-10-2015, 09:21 PM

I hope they didn't tell him too much about the club.

LostDoggy
17-10-2015, 06:58 PM
I hope they didn't tell him too much about the club.

Their game plan was accidentally burnt along with the injections program records, so they'll be ok.

Twodogs
17-10-2015, 10:45 PM
Their game plan was accidentally burnt along with the injections program records, so they'll be ok.

That's true. Hirdy didn't really have a game plan. Not after Bomber left anyway.

Ghost Dog
17-10-2015, 10:56 PM
The sparks are going to f-l-y next time Talia steps onto the field against the boys. He might be wearing red, black and blue.

Rocket Science
17-10-2015, 11:59 PM
Whoever throws their guernsey at his dimwitted carcass, I'm looking forward to him standing either Boyd or *sinister laugh* Redpath. For entirely different reasons.

G-Mo77
18-10-2015, 07:31 PM
The sparks are going to f-l-y next time Talia steps onto the field against the boys. He might be wearing red, black and blue.

There were quite a few on holidays with him.

Scraggers
18-10-2015, 08:56 PM
There were quite a few on holidays with him.

A few what? Essendon players ??

azabob
18-10-2015, 09:18 PM
A few what? Essendon players ??

Bulldog players.

Scraggers
19-10-2015, 01:15 AM
Bulldog players.

Prepaid holiday?

Why else would you holiday with him if he did what he's accused of?

Remi Moses
19-10-2015, 02:29 AM
Blimey I hope the super spy hasn't bugged their phones

Sedat
20-10-2015, 12:54 PM
Talia is currently having a medical with the Swans, according to The Age.

bornadog
20-10-2015, 12:57 PM

What can we expect from the Swans?

bornadog
20-10-2015, 12:59 PM
from the HUN:

Talia is the subject of an AFL investigation after the Bulldogs called on the league’s integrity unit to look into claims that he provided “game-sensitive information” to his brother, Adelaide’s Daniel, before their elimination final last month.

The Talia brothers met with the AFL early last week, but the investigation is continuing with the AFL yet to speak to several other involved parties. An AFL source said the investigation would take as long as necessary, and there was no consideration to concluding it before the end of the trade period.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-10-2015, 01:01 PM
We'll lose him for nothing which is disappointing.

Dancin' Douggy
20-10-2015, 01:08 PM
So we get screwed twice. That sucks.

Sedat
20-10-2015, 01:12 PM
We'll lose him for nothing which is disappointing.
Maybe not - if picking up Talia doesn't disadvantage them from leveraging their highest pick into a deal for multiple lower picks (to increase their overall points to bid for their 2 academy players, Mills and Dunkley). It will all be predicated on whether they can effectively pick up Talia for nothing if the downgraded pick doesn't change their trading ability on the lower picks.

So potentially Sydney's pick 33 for Talia and our pick 51 - I doubt very much that we can shift into Sydney's current pick 14, which they are trying to package up to St Kilda (to help them secure Carlisle without having to use pick 5) for a couple of picks in the 20's (that will give them higher points value to bid for both academy players than a pick 14 would on its own).

GVGjr
20-10-2015, 01:15 PM

That's good news. The Swans are reasonable to work with.

G-Mo77
20-10-2015, 01:30 PM
Pick 100 will do, as long as he goes I'll be happy.

F'scary
20-10-2015, 01:39 PM
Pick 100 will do, as long as he goes I'll be happy.

Watch out - at 100, we'll get him back as a pick upgrade on 101!

lemmon
20-10-2015, 01:40 PM
That's good news. The Swans are reasonable to work with.

May be a bit of payback for letting Biggs out cheap?

GVGjr
20-10-2015, 01:47 PM
May be a bit of payback for letting Biggs out cheap?

Each deal has to stand on it's merits but some clubs are just better to deal with. The Swans couldn't accommodate Biggs last year and were more than happy for him to go to a club that wanted him.

They haven't got a lot of chips to play with and have some academy players to accommodate. Sedats suggestions wouldn't be too bad.

Remi Moses
20-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Agree with others. It's pleasing if it's Sydney and not Essendon and Dodoro .
They'd look at picking him up as a delisted f/a.
The investigation of this is just taken way to long, and it's almost like they've had to call in the CIA or KGB

Dancin' Douggy
20-10-2015, 03:04 PM
Are the AFL the worst 'investigators' in the history of the entire planet?

bornadog
20-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Are the AFL the worst 'investigators' in the history of the entire planet?

Apparently people they want to interview have been overseas.

Bulldog Joe
20-10-2015, 03:55 PM

They also need to give them time to forget everything or destroy the evidence.

Murphy'sLore
20-10-2015, 04:36 PM

I don't get it. Surely they have phones. Skype? In this day and age?

bornadog
20-10-2015, 04:39 PM
I don't get it. Surely they have phones. Skype? In this day and age?

What do you expect from the AFL :D

Dancin' Douggy
20-10-2015, 05:27 PM
They really look like Bumbling Goofballs when they 'hold an investigation'.

bornadog
20-10-2015, 05:32 PM
They really look like Bumbling Goofballs when they 'hold an investigation'.

It's all on purpose to make the AFL look good by saying we investigated for weeks but nothing happened here and all is good and nothing untoward happening at the AFL

bornadog
21-10-2015, 11:43 AM
From Twitter:

Jen Phelan (Witham) ‏@AFL_JenPhelan
Outside of Talia, Swans not expecting much action in the next day and a bit. Pleased to strengthen position in Carlisle deal

Sydney not much left to trade for Talia.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2015, 11:57 AM
From Twitter:

Sydney not much left to trade for Talia.

Player trade perhaps?

G-Mo77
21-10-2015, 11:58 AM
Player trade perhaps?

We can't fit one in.

GVGjr
21-10-2015, 12:04 PM
We can't fit one in.

We can if we assume Talia gets traded for a pick. That would also mean Grant is gone

Bulldog Revolution
21-10-2015, 12:06 PM
We can if we assume Talia gets traded for a pick. That would also mean Grant is gone

Its likely the Suckling deal has sealed Grants fate anyway I would have thought

bulldogtragic
21-10-2015, 08:27 PM
So will be gone for nothing. Thanks integrity unit for SFA for over a month.

westdog54
21-10-2015, 08:52 PM
So will be gone for nothing. Thanks integrity unit for SFA for over a month.

I'm now really curious about the manpower attached to the AFL's integrity unit. Surely the scope of this investigation is not so vast that it could not have been wrapped up by now. How busy are they?

F'scary
21-10-2015, 08:58 PM
I'm now really curious about the manpower attached to the AFL's integrity unit. Surely the scope of this investigation is not so vast that it could not have been wrapped up by now. How busy are they?

They have been busy learning how to spell the word.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2015, 09:00 PM

I'm starting to think it's an empty locked office and answering machine. Even Koko the gorilla could have sign languaged through this issue sooner via skipe, and thrown less shit towards our club. They used to have a really good old school Sergeant do this stuff as a second job and it's been a joke since they parted company years back.

FrediKanoute
21-10-2015, 11:48 PM
Talia for Reid maybe?

Sedat
21-10-2015, 11:51 PM
AFL website reporting that Essendon and Carlton are both still interested in Talia, in addition to Sydney. Maybe Carlton could be persuaded to part with one of their 55 picks in this year's ND.

1eyedog
22-10-2015, 12:37 AM
Talia for Reid maybe?

No chance.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-10-2015, 01:22 AM
Somewhat surprised Adelaide aren't interested.

Hopefully we get something for him, a pick upgrade would suffice.

jazzadogs
22-10-2015, 02:10 AM
30 and Talia for Carlton's 21? Very ambitious on my behalf, but maybe it could happen.

Ozza
22-10-2015, 10:19 AM
Unfortunately we have no bargaining power with Talia whatsoever. I'd be surprised if we get anything for him. Possibly a token pick in the 3rd or 4th round that we might not use.

bulldogtragic
22-10-2015, 10:25 AM
Unfortunately we have no bargaining power with Talia whatsoever. I'd be surprised if we get anything for him. Possibly a token pick in the 3rd or 4th round that we might not use.

If Carlton want him, and he wants them, they will get him to jump to the PSD.

KT31
22-10-2015, 10:34 AM
Somewhat surprised Adelaide aren't interested.

Hopefully we get something for him, a pick upgrade would suffice.

Rumour around that the AFL have advised the Crows it would look untoward if they picked up Talia.

stefoid
22-10-2015, 10:38 AM
AFL website reporting that Essendon and Carlton are both still interested in Talia, in addition to Sydney. Maybe Carlton could be persuaded to part with one of their 55 picks in this year's ND.

I can see us having more list spots open next year, so Carlton/Essendons 2016 3rd rounder might be a good option for us.

Sedat
22-10-2015, 11:00 AM
I can see us having more list spots open next year, so Carlton/Essendons 2016 3rd rounder might be a good option for us.
Like it Stef, like it a lot. Completely forgot about future draft picks.

Bulldog4life
22-10-2015, 11:19 AM
If Carlton want him, and he wants them, they will get him to jump to the PSD.

Thinking the same.

Ozza
22-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Rumour around that the AFL have advised the Crows it would look untoward if they picked up Talia.

Would rather he go plays with his mates in Adelaide, if it means we can do a trade. No good having Adelaide out of the race.

jeemak
22-10-2015, 01:52 PM

I love it! The AFL piss farts around with its investigation which will ultimately turn up nothing, and tells Adelaide they can't take him because it would look dodgy!

Wonder which party ultimately gets screwed in all of this?

bulldogtragic
22-10-2015, 02:54 PM
And stay gone.

bornadog
22-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Even without the Talia gate, he never wanted to be at the Dogs. In his mind, he thought he should be playing every week and doing his own thing. Better change his ways at Sydney, or he will be out the door quick smart.

Throughandthrough
22-10-2015, 02:59 PM
#belessbulldog

SonofScray
22-10-2015, 03:03 PM
A worthless pick and trade scenario for a worthless footballer. Good riddance you mongrel.

Greystache
22-10-2015, 03:05 PM
T Boyd will be circling his calendar for when we play Sydney.

Remi Moses
22-10-2015, 03:05 PM
Good luck with the finger pointing in Sydney .
He'll be playing in far reaching places in the NEAfL .

Greystache
22-10-2015, 03:34 PM
In related news, Kyle Hardingham has been spotted boarding a plane to Sydney to negotiate signing with NEAFL clubs for the upcoming 2016 season.

NoseBleed
05-11-2015, 11:16 AM
Didn't this go quiet all of a sudden...

KT31
05-11-2015, 11:37 AM

Just what the AFL hoped for.

F'scary
05-11-2015, 01:42 PM

It will be released late on Christmas Eve.

Murphy'sLore
05-11-2015, 02:25 PM
Wasn't this supposed to be 'imminent' about two weeks ago? What happened?

bornadog
05-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Wasn't this supposed to be 'imminent' about two weeks ago? What happened?

They probably made the decision, but it was tucked away in three words in an obscure part of the papers or Internet so no one could ever see it.

Murphy'sLore
05-11-2015, 02:51 PM
I cannot believe that if even if that's the case, some dedicated Woofer wouldn't have sniffed it out.

LostDoggy
05-11-2015, 02:59 PM
I cannot believe that if even if that's the case, some dedicated Woofer wouldn't have sniffed it out.

Agree.

Can't help but think that the AFL's opportunity to slip out a quiet, inconsequential finding was at the tail end of trade period. Once they do that, it's all gone away.

If I was an Adelaide fan, the longer this silence goes on, the more nervous I would be. What if the investigators have uncovered some information that can't be ignored/swept aside?

bornadog
05-11-2015, 03:46 PM

I was joking :D.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
05-11-2015, 04:54 PM
Expect announcement 11am Boxing Day

Ghost Dog
05-11-2015, 11:53 PM
Look, in life sometimes you get done over. It's not worth being too bitter about what you can't change, as karma will deliver its justice.

Twodogs
06-11-2015, 12:01 AM

Look, in life sometimes you get done over. It's not worth being too bitter about what you can't change, as karma will deliver its justice.

Precisely. No point worrying about things you can't control.

bulldogtragic
06-11-2015, 12:08 AM
I will let Chief Wiggum talk on behalf of the AFL Integrity Unit and then on behalf of the AFL...

LostDoggy
06-11-2015, 12:20 AM
Precisely. No point worrying about things you can't control.

But if we only concern ourselves with things we can control, forums like this cease to exist. :)

Sedat
06-11-2015, 12:39 AM
We're then owed about 10 flags and 20 last gasp finals wins to square the current ledger

1eyedog
06-11-2015, 12:42 AM

Where is Chris Grant's justice? C'mon Karma start working!

The Bulldogs Bite
06-11-2015, 12:52 AM
We're then owed about 10 flags and 20 last gasp finals wins to square the current ledger

At this point one will suffice. One!!

jeemak
06-11-2015, 12:59 AM
Karma viewed simplistically would suggest we're deserving of this level of ill-treatment in some way.

Ghost Dog
06-11-2015, 01:25 AM
Karma viewed simplistically would suggest we're deserving of this level of ill-treatment in some way.

Why? Micheal may have superimposed his own frustrations with his limitations and current form by unfairly lashing out and hurting the club in a careless manner, a club he really liked, even loved. In that case, we wear it but the fault is not ours.

jeemak
06-11-2015, 01:29 AM
In broader terms (and by that, I mean the way bogans refer to Karma) any action against us is a reaction to what we've done to others over time.

The Talia's are just consequences of our own actions.

Ghost Dog
06-11-2015, 02:34 AM
It does seem to be taking a long time, this investigation. If there were nothing in it, why would it take so long?

jeemak
06-11-2015, 02:40 AM
With respect, I was just playing Devil's Advocate to the Karma talk.

I've already said I've wiped Michael Talia and think the club has done the best thing by moving him on. He's genuinely a non-event as far as I'm concerned and the likely ridiculous outcome of the AFL enquiry is as well.

bulldogtragic
06-11-2015, 08:49 AM
In broader terms (and by that, I mean the way bogans refer to Karma) any action against us is a reaction to what we've done to others over time.

The Talia's are just consequences of our own actions.

Ah, someone that understands the distinction between the law of cause and effect vs karma. Everything is karma. Although, as you say later it's probably not the issue.

Twodogs
06-11-2015, 09:24 AM
Ah, someone that understands the distinction between the law of cause and effect vs karma. Everything is karma. Although, as you say later it's probably not the issue.

Maybe kismet?

G-Mo77
06-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Sam Landsberger ‏@SamLandsberger
Scott Clayton once said if Jarrad Grant wasn't the best 07 draftee outside Kreuz/Cotch he'd swim to Williamstown. Now set to sign him at GC.

Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL
Jarrad Grant will be a Sun, 100 per cent .. Formalities only to be completed ...@7NewsMelbourne

Does Clayton know how to swim? :D

chef
06-11-2015, 02:38 PM
Kind of makes me glad Clayton is not with us anymore.

LostDoggy
06-11-2015, 02:42 PM
At least he should've had the wherewithall to pay up before he moved to the Gold Coast. Bloody long swim now....

BulldogBelle
06-11-2015, 05:00 PM

Probably the best thing to happen to us when Gold Coast joined - losing Clayton to them.

bornadog
06-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Probably the best thing to happen to us when Gold Coast joined - losing Clayton to them.

When the current regime gets us to three prelims and hopefully further, then we can praise them for being a genius. But for now our most successful period in the last 54 years have been under Clayton and Rocket.

Doc26
06-11-2015, 07:17 PM
It does seem to be taking a long time, this investigation. If there were nothing in it, why would it take so long?

Noticed today that the Swans have now put Michael up for display across their various social media channels. The cynic in me interpreted this as them having a green light on him but I agree that a public announcement on the integrity department's findings is overdue.

G-Mo77
06-11-2015, 07:45 PM
Sam Landsberger ‏@SamLandsberger
Scott Clayton once said if Jarrad Grant wasn't the best 07 draftee outside Kreuz/Cotch he'd swim to Williamstown. Now set to sign him at GC.

Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL
Jarrad Grant will be a Sun, 100 per cent .. Formalities only to be completed ...@7NewsMelbourne

Does Clayton know how to swim? :D

Whoops, wrong thread.

Twodogs
06-11-2015, 08:34 PM
Whoops, wrong thread.

Thought so.

westdog54
06-11-2015, 11:02 PM
Thought so.

Following suit from the AFL, putting something else up as a distraction.

bulldogtragic
07-11-2015, 12:22 AM
Following suit from the AFL, putting something else up as a distraction.

Classic 'Chewbacca Defence' by TwoDogs.

Greystache
07-11-2015, 01:46 AM
Classic 'Chewbacca Defence' by TwoDogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwdba9C2G14

bulldogtragic
07-11-2015, 09:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwdba9C2G14

Great catch. I wiki the phrase and it's now a common term used by professionals in USA.

KT31
07-11-2015, 09:27 AM

This is what it took ?:)

chef
07-11-2015, 09:36 AM
This is what it took ?:)

I guess it's just another reminder. Amazing how badly he's stuffed up GC's list with all the leg ups he's had.

GVGjr
07-11-2015, 10:04 AM
I guess it's just another reminder. Amazing how badly he's stuffed up GC's list with all the leg ups he's had.

I'll defend him just a little, you can bring talented people into the wrong environment and they might never get close to their potential.
I think this is the case at GC. Some great players but there is probably a lack of leadership depth. The culture hasn't been right and possibly still needs plenty of work.

LostDoggy
07-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Hard to work out what the problem is at GCS. This year they've had 3 players retire due to lack of passion/interest (Andrew Boston, 21, Tim Sumner, 21, and Josh Glenn, 21). When you've got multiple 21 year olds walking away from contracts and the game, there are serious issues.

You'd reckon playing AFL and living on the Gold Coast would be a dream life for a 21 year old (I wouldn't have minded), but for some reason, sporting clubs there seem to constantly fail. The Bears were tanking until transferred to Brisbane, 2 NRL teams have folded with a third struggling and A-League and NBL teams have also quickly folded. Successful ventures there = 0.

Seems a graveyard for a region with so much going for it.

chef
07-11-2015, 10:37 AM
I'll defend him just a little, you can bring talented people into the wrong environment and they might never get close to their potential.
I think this is the case at GC. Some great players but there is probably a lack of leadership depth. The culture hasn't been right and possibly still needs plenty of work.

I guess thats part of being a recruiter, it's not just about football talent. The 'right character', leadership etc also need to be taken into account.

I do think they dropped the ball compared with GWS in terms of bringing in the right older players too as well as their list has a heap more holes in it.

GVGjr
07-11-2015, 10:46 AM
I guess thats part of being a recruiter, it's not just about football talent. The 'right character', leadership etc also need to be taken into account.

I do think they dropped the ball compared with GWS in terms of bringing in the right older players too as well as their list has a heap more holes in it.

As much as I hate to say it, Sheedy was insistent on the right culture being implemented from the start. As a comparison the laid back lifestyle of GC and a lot of youngsters without the right leadership isn't a great recipe.
Many youngsters, not all, with the right character can get distracted if they hang around with the wrong people.

The Adelaide Connection
07-11-2015, 01:56 PM
Wait, what? Is this all in the wrong thread? :confused:

Dancin' Douggy
07-11-2015, 08:32 PM
Hard to work out what the problem is at GCS. This year they've had 3 players retire due to lack of passion/interest (Andrew Boston, 21, Tim Sumner, 21, and Josh Glenn, 21). When you've got multiple 21 year olds walking away from contracts and the game, there are serious issues.

You'd reckon playing AFL and living on the Gold Coast would be a dream life for a 21 year old (I wouldn't have minded), but for some reason, sporting clubs there seem to constantly fail. The Bears were tanking until transferred to Brisbane, 2 NRL teams have folded with a third struggling and A-League and NBL teams have also quickly folded. Successful ventures there = 0.

Seems a graveyard for a region with so much going for it.
Great post. Very interesting reading.

Twodogs
07-11-2015, 10:37 PM

The problem is the drafting concessions-especially the early picks-were originally granted with the expectation that they would be traded to the other clubs for really blue chip players thereby instituting that culture. They weren't supposed to be hoarded by the expansion clubs so they had all the early picks on one draft. They were supposed to be circulated back to the clubs in return for ready to go players.

Dancin' Douggy
08-11-2015, 08:14 AM
Same with the mini draft. That turned out to be another afl fail.

LostDoggy
09-11-2015, 09:08 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-08/talia-probe-still-going-as-players-and-clubs-wait-for-outcome

Not sure of source credibility, but there is talk that written information is involved (not just a chat between brothers).

stefoid
09-11-2015, 10:41 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-08/talia-probe-still-going-as-players-and-clubs-wait-for-outcome

Not sure of source credibility, but there is talk that written information is involved (not just a chat between brothers).

I heard they made a diorama and enacted the game plan with figurines.

Twodogs
09-11-2015, 05:45 PM

Texts I read. That was mentioned a while back.

LostDoggy
09-11-2015, 06:22 PM

Surely without Tell Tale Talia in the starting 22 :p

LostDoggy
09-11-2015, 06:37 PM

I heard they used ReLoad's lego MCG.